A New Perspective For Frazier During NFL Draft

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 26, 2011 – 2:17 pm

In an article posted in the news headline section of vikings.com, we pointed out that Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier is going through NFL draft preparations for the first time as a head coach and that he’s handling the responsibilities with aplomb. We also explained that it should come as no surprise, given how gracefully he led the organization through the tumultuous conclusion to the 2010 season.

But now is not the time to reflect back on the end of the 2010 season. It’s time to think about the 2011 season and, more specifically and more imminently, the 2011 NFL Draft, which will begin on Thursday evening at 6:00 p.m. CT.

Frazier, going through the draft for the first time as head coach, says he has a different perspective on things this year. He’s a 23-year coaching veteran, but for the first time at the NFL level he’s considering more than just the defensive side of the ball in his evaluation and decision-making.

“You go from being a defensive coordinator, where you’re working just one side of the football, although in the role of assistant head coach I would have discussions on occasion with Rick and others about other positions. But my primary responsibility was working on the defensive side of the football,” Frazier explained. “Now, to have to look at it globally when it comes to special teams, offense and defense, that’s a little bit different but it’s not something I’ve never had to do before.”

As he’s done in other areas of his life and his profession, Frazier has clearly prepared himself well for his current role. And since he’s prepared to handle the responsibilities of helping VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman and Co. guide the franchise through the draft, he’s enjoying the process as well.

“I really enjoy doing it,” Frazier said. “I like being able to have some say in who we’re looking at as a return specialist, who we’re looking at at other positions other than just defense. I’ve enjoyed it, it’s been good. I’ve enjoyed it a great deal.”

Frazier also stressed that Vikings fans can enjoy this time of year also. The team is coming off a disappointing season and roster turnover is expected, but the Vikings head coach is optimistic about this year’s draft class and he knows the draft represents an opportunity for new life.

“There are a lot of good players on that board that we’re discussing,” Frazier commend, “and I’m excited about what’s going to happen in the days ahead and it should be a great time if you’re a Minnesota Vikings fan. It should be a great time.”

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “A New Perspective For Frazier During NFL Draft”

1. By DaNorseman on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

I fully believe that this draft will be one that will be looked back upon years from now as a good one. Spielman, Frazier, and Studwell I full believe will make fantastic decisions this NFL Draft that will bring the purple ever closer to what this Norseman nation has been striving for…………… a world championship.

2. By fkaJames on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Wobby: Good article on Frazier. One note: I think he’s handling the job’s responsibilities with “aplomb,” not “a plum.” But I could be wrong … maybe he really likes fruit?

3. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@Josh K.,

Thank you for breaking the news about the NFL lockout being lifted. That is good news even though the NFL may rescind the move.

The article I read said that the NFL was too valuable to be put on hold. Like the airlines, having the NFL out of work could cause millions of dollars to the cities where games are played.

Hopefully the NFL is too important to have a long strike.

4. By Dave the vikefan on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Frederick.. Let’s hope.. This lock out is draining me, and it’s very frustrating.

5. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@Dave the vikefan,

Yes, this whole off season is tough, CBA, Stadium, etc.

6. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

rocksalt, fire childress, Bruce, Vlad 19, TW Vike, Dr Owssap, Dawn Wisconsin:

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS???

7. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

My favorite saying last season was, “It’s the power of pinesoil, honey.”

I tended to use that when overwhelming machismo was being used by several bloggers.

But who could blame you guys during the 6-10 season. I felt the same way many of you did, at times.

Many of us miss the days of 11-3, and 12-2 seasons.

In order for that to happen, we must get some players. The offensive lines on those 11-3, 12-2 teams were sometimes regarded as the STRENGTH of the team.

The game is played in the trenches, regardless of what SI, ESPN, and NFLNetwork show on their newscasts, or magazines.

8. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

i have thought we should take Amakamura for a while now, it seems like alot of fans agree now more than before. i would be one happy camper if we ended up with him i think our 1st 2 picks will decipher which direction this franchise is going. id also like to see a vet QB signed and do NOT let Rice walk like we did with Moss.. resign your playmakers

9. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@joshK,

If Amakamura is a good as you say I hope we take him in the first round.

Who ever we do draft, we should get behind them, and not berate them.

Heck, Chis Cook could be a great player like Chad Greenway. EJ Henderson proved that you can come back from a nasty injury. A broken femur is nothing to joke about, that’s for Shirley.

10. By joshK on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

i hope cook comes back and plays to his potential. cook amukamara as the starting CBs Winfield and possibly R. Moore as safties it would be one of the best, if not the best backfield in the league.

11. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@joshK,

And our HC should understand the importance of dbs, and how to scout them!

12. By Mike Wobschall on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

fkaJames – Good call. Thanks!

13. By QB FEVER on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Come on Frazier and Spielman DRAFT RYAN MALLETT at 12!! He is top 5 talent and has a super high football I.Q. Rocket arm, quick release and can throw accurately in small windows!! Like Mayock says the guys talent is off the charts, best QB in the draft. The only reason his stock has dropped is over exaggerated media rumors. If the Vikings stay true to their word for the best player available, Mallett will be wearing PURPLE next Year. Its too much of a risk moving down, Miami will get mallett at 15 if we don’t. Franchise QB is too important to risk!

14. By QB FEVER on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

I would say Draft Mallett at 12! then draft the best available OL with the second pick, either trade up, down or stay. Because the QB frenzy at the top of the second round and the amount of good depth at DE, there should be some high quality OL there at our second pick. Or draft Mallett at 12, trade the second pick down for a third rounder, then get the best position available. Fill the rest of the needs with rest of draft and free agency. Because of the CBA, whoever we draft at QB won’t be able to start with so little time to prepare. so we will probably get a veteran QB, let Mallett sit for a year and build the line and secondary even more in next years draft. THEN WE WILL BE READY TO ROLL FOR A LONG TIME!!!

15. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@QB FEVER,

You are my opposite.

Probably what will happen is we will select defensive players. The Vikings might not select a QB or OL, the entire draft.

16. By QB FEVER on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick Jones
    Ya i know. You probably think I’m crazy. I think your crazy. I sit and about QB all day. You think of OL all day lol. Ya both of us will be crushed when they select neither :P
    How bout we trade our first round next year for Houston’s this years. and pick Mallett and an OL in the first to make us both happy lol

17. By QB FEVER on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Lol mike changed it to aplomb. nice

18. By fran on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

McNabb to learn Webb, and wait until next year.
    draft:
    1. CB: PETERSON OR AMUKAMARA
    2. LDE
    4. LOT
    5. QB
    5. RG
    6. WR
    6. DT OR S
    7. TE
    7. OLB-R
    free agency: McNabb, a 800 to 1,000 YARDS WR, AN STRONG OLB-R, HELP IN DT, A FREE S

19. By Jim on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need to draft a qb in the first or second round our problem has been the qb position for decades for once get a qb, take a risk like how the packers took a risk on rodgers.

20. By Titus on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@fka james and anyone that cares about excellence. Are you serious in your post? Wobby wrote a plum for aplomb?

I see he fixed it, if he did. Wobby, you know you should have fixed your other errors. When you wrote “here” for “hear.” Or “peak” for “peek.”

We want an organization that is excellent top to bottom. These mistakes are unacceptable for someone who is writing for a living. I see them with some of my students, but many of them are ESL learners. And they are NOT publishing on a high volume website.

21. By fran on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

want an opinion:
    draft:
    1. CB: PETERSON OR AMUKAMARA
    2. LDE
    4. LOT
    5. QB
    5. RG
    6. WR
    6. DT OR S
    7. TE
    7. OLB-R

22. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Guys, I have been watching the Fox website.t I don’t understand Collect Bargaing? Call me stupid, but I don’t get it? Can anyone enlighten me?

23. By Parody on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

ummm – making a deal via a collect phone call?

No, I think you’re asking about the Collective Bargaining Agreement or CBA. That’s what the NFL uses between the players and the owners to decide how business will be handled. In a normal American business, an employee (or player in the case of the NFL) has the right to sign with any business (owner) that will hire him, and quit and get hired by any other business completely at his own discretion. Businesses have absolutely no right to trade employees, or tell employees after they leave college which business they’ll be working for in their first few years.

One of the things that the CBA does is to bind players to a team via the draft and contracts that they sign. Players still have the option to switch to other teams, but only once their contract has expired. Until then, the team has the right to trade that player for other players or draft selections. It’s a big factor for what makes the NFL is so interesting.

Just think, if the CBA didn’t exist, then a big money team like the Giants or Cowboys would have come in and offered AP a gigantic contract right after his rookie season and we’d never hear from him again!

24. By Parody on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

Please forgive the typos in the previous post.

25. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

@QB Fever,

What ever gets it done. One thing we might agree on is that we need some new players to challenge the old ones.

26. By Frederick Jones on Apr 26, 2011 | Reply

After listening to Coach Frazier, I don’t think the Vikings will pick an offensive lineman very high, or maybe not at all !

No doubt A.D. helps keep the D. Linemen on their heels a little bit. But if he averages 3.3 yards per carry, there might be something wrong with the offensive line ! ! !

Blockers help your whole offense. Yelling at inferior talent will not make them play better. And 3 step drops won’t stop Julius Peppers from stuffing your All American QB !

27. By Jim on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

We can get all the soldiers we want but without a general to lead it is useless.

28. By Daniel on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Listening to Fraiser sounds to me like Mallett is the guy. Looking at his stats and watching him play, does not bother me. Is he worth a pick at 12? I do have a feeling he will be better than Flacco. Flacco has been mentioned alot this offseason, and how he has started. Mallett is a tough kid and a rope for an arm. I have pushed for a O-lineman at 12, but I support Mallett But defenatly not Locker. I still feel they should slide down from 12 though. We need more picks. I also think they should combine our 7ths and 6ths, for a 5th. We have picked up alot of 6ths and 7ths through the years, only to have them out of the NFL or on other teams. Value percentagewise is greater up higher than 6th round.

29. By Mike B on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

The coaches don’t see a big need at OL as some on this blog do. I agree I think there needs to be some refocusing with the guys we have. I think they realize that the OL as a group did not play to their potential. I am confident they will pick it up this year. I think it is time for the Vikings to forget stop gap QB and get a young gun and go with it. Hopefully at 12 we will have a guy to pick from. Have fun

30. By Bigfan1 on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

We need good players in positions where they can play this season like Harvin did his rookie year. Give us a handful of them and we’ll kick ass and ask questions later.

31. By Frederick Jones on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

@Jim,

Yeah and Mike Ditka beat the Patriots all by hisself ! ! !

32. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Maybe we should bring in Jack Bauer. I’ve heard that he can beat the Patriots and Packers all by himself, AT THE SAME TIME!

33. By jason on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is not a long term solution, only reason to sign McNabb is if Joe Webb is your guy to develop or you drafted a guy high this year whom can learn behind mcnabb…perfect fit Jake Locker. he will require a top 15 pick, i doubt he really slides that far, titans @ 8 and redskins @ 10….will take him if they dont move to grab gabbert or newton. in the 2nd round, their are alot of good players that fit the vikes needs…who knows Bowers might still be around, but biggest needs after qb are…..we can get a solid weak side LB to replace Leber in Free agancy…so next needs are DB…CB or safety? if their is decent talent available the Vikes will grad a CB/S in the 2nd. 4th round OL…5th round depth on the DL and LB….6th round depth at DB and OL….7th round depth for RB and WR. the wild card pick could come at WR with the possibility of Sideny Rice leaving…possible they grab Julio jones in the first or Jonathon Baldwin in the 2nd to replace Rice, but than again Rice might be back and if he isnt a certain free agent just might be…..Vikes are always in the market for more young WR’s!

34. By Brandon Manumaleuna on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

I still think the vikings are going to have to draft the best player available. For example, if somehow A.J. Green or Julio Jones is there at 12, then the vikes will take them. The best way to go is to draft the best player available rather than drafting based on needs. Who knows, we might get another rookie of the year and or probowler.

35. By Titus on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

This Website is our representation to the world. So many of you think I am irrelevant when I point out the ridiculous and many errors on this site– by the main article writers. Well, imagine eating at an excellent restaurant– great, fresh, food, fantastic service, and then, at the door, the host has not showered in two weeks, his clothes are filthy, he stinks, and cannot communicate with logical sentences– what would that do to the restaurant’s success?
    Needless to say— we need excellence in every part of this organization.
    Mediocrity in one area filters into all areas.

36. By Nick on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Guys, guys, remind me, where is the most important position on the football field?

37. By Parody on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Umm…I think he’s usually screaming on the sidelines or covering his face with a clipboard…