Frazier, Spielman Will Hold Pre-Draft Press Conference

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 20, 2011 – 10:56 am

Each year, typically just a few days prior to the NFL draft, the Vikings hold a press conference to allow reporters the chance to pick the brains of Vikings drft decision makers. This year, that press conference will be on Tuesday, April 26.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Fraizer and VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman will meet with reporters in the Winter Park Fieldhouse at 2:00 p.m. on 4/26 to answer questions regarding the upcoming draft. As you know by now, the Vikings have the 12th overall pick in the draft and they have 9 selections total.

The 76th annual NFL Draft will be broken down into a 3-day event. The 1st round will take place on Thursday, April 28, beginning at 7:00 p.m. (CT) and will conclude around 11:30 p.m. (CT). Rounds 2-3 will be held on Friday, April 29, starting at 5:00 p.m. (CT). The draft will conclude on Saturday, April 30, with rounds 4-7 beginning at 11:00 a.m. (CT). The time allocated for each selection in the 1st round will be 10 minutes while the 2nd round will drop to 7 minutes. Teams will have 5 minutes for each selection in the remaining rounds (3-7).

Tags: ,

45 Responses to “Frazier, Spielman Will Hold Pre-Draft Press Conference”

1. By Frederick Jones on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I still think the draft is little like buying a car. You don’t advertise that you want the yellow one with the big engine, because that will drive the price up.

“If the big boys don’t block, it doesn’t matter who is behind center !”
    Jim McMahon, 1985 Super Bowl Champion QB

2. By Mike B on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I think the Vikings would be foolish not to look at this crop of QBs and not pick one of in the first two rounds. The team has been very good about working with players with maturity issues, so I don’t see that as a big stubbling block for us. I had for got we have Pat Ramsey, so we could go with a draft pick Webb and Ramsey as our core QBs. Let those three compete for the starting position. I think our OL will be a lot more motivated this year than last. We should be in good shape. We could use a DL/E ,LB, and some help in secondary. Kicker needs to be addressed to if we are not keeping Ryan Longwell. I think we will have a very good draft. Have fun.

3. By Bigfan1 on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Exactly.

4. By Titus on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones is RIGHT!!! No intelligent coach and personnel director will tell whom they think is their choice– it tells other teams, hey that guy is very valuable, that is our top pick– and those teams will say, let’s take a second look at that guy– and wham, that guy is chosen before we get our pick. COME ON people– it’s common sense. You don’t play cards and show your opponents your hand while you are placing bets.

5. By 98vikings on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Vikes select o lineman anthony costonzo, they will not get the 12th pick, vikes move 5 slots down to get an extra pick.

6. By Lito on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I like to see Gabbert in Purple. If Vikes can’t afford; I would like them to pick Da’Bowers, OT Orlando Franklin, then Mallett (he falls). If they have to have a QB at the 2nd round; then get Bowers, Locker, and OT Jah Reid. For the other rounds – CB Jalil Brown, TE Collin Franklin, OLB Michael Morgan, S Nate Williams, and C Carl Johnson. Good luck Vikings on your draft!

7. By PrinzCharlez on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Im really liking QB’s Dalton, Devin or Stanzi in later rounds hoping for DE, OL, CB with 12th pich first round. Viking4Life regardless. No bandwagon in me…..GO VIKES

8. By dave on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

i agree with prinzchatlez except maybe trade down to pick 20 about and pick up another pick in 2nd or third and i would like to see stanzi in purple.

9. By Nicholas on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Please do trade back and focus on other needs this year. Stanzi would be a great pickup in the 2-4th rounds or perhaps devlin. If we do bad this year, I REALLY hope we join the Andew Luck Gold Rush next year!!!

10. By JerryBall on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Its hideous how fans are wanting luck for next year, the only way to get luck is to lose every game this year to get a good draft pick, I guess fans want the vikings to lose again this season. We need to win forget luck the word next year is a setup for failure the word next year is nothing new heard that since a kid rooting for the vikes and the fudge packers end up getting a ring already while we are figuring out who our qb is we are far behind.

11. By Nicholas on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Jerryball

I don’t think that I directly stated that I DESIRE us to do bad, I just said IF we do bad this year, it’d be great to have a chance at getting Andrew Luck this year.

If I were to want us to lose this year I’d make a statement like; “I hope the Vikings go 0-16 this year so we can draft Andew Luck!!” This is not what I’m implying.

WIth this years class of QB’s, I’m just more sold on someone like Luck who is in NEXT YEAR’s draft. So again’ IF we do bad, it’d be great to get Luck : )
    GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By JerryBall on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Yeah nothing personal were all professionals it was just a statement everyone is entitled to one we are all fans as one.

13. By kellly on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

GREG MCELROY! We can get him in the late rounds.

14. By Vikings FAN 15 on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Would LOVE MALLETT on the Vikings. Liked him through college and know he will be a great great pro. Has all the tools, throws, accuracy and knowledge of the game. Looks like other teams are now picking up on him sadly. WE need to Pull the trigger at 12. He is a top 5 pick if it was not for the rumor machine. The rumors are starting to be dispelled and his value is skyrocketing. and man, all you people who keep saying next year next year. We have been doing that every year and look where its gotten us. No franchise QB since Fran. Honestly what do you think we are going to get Luck next year? not going to happen!! We are too good to be the worst in the league. Every year we get better without a QB and get lower in the Draft. If you don’t take a swing, how can you hit a home run? At 12 Ryan Mallett would be very good value and will be a star for us. Vikings Make it happen!!!

15. By Purple pride man on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

I say take Mallett at 12 and trade down the 2nd round pick and pick up a 3rd rounder. We did that last year. Franchise QB is too important. Need some one who can throw the ball a mile and accurately in small windows. Mallett can do that. he seems like a good guy. Frazer and Bill will do great with him. Take a chance vikings!

16. By Topguns on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Next Decade’s Tom Brady

Ricky Stanzi University of Iowa Vikings, you will NEVER regret choosing Ricky

17. By dave on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

1st trade back,pick up third round and get Pouncey, 2nd round get a d lineman or raheem moore,3rd get ricki stanzi, 4th get the linebacker from uconn, 5th get the linebacker from BC the 1 that had cancer, and get Austin Pettis with other, 6th Chris Nield DT, 7th Mike Mcnield TE or kicker

18. By Nicholas on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Stanzi, Mallet, Dalton, or Devlin —- I’d love to see any of them picked up as a developmental QB. Oline, Dline, Safety should definitely be addressed. Don’t know if I’m a believer in getting Mcnabb as a mentor or not. Kolb is too expensive.

19. By Titus on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Interesting– I am not the most knowledgeable about the draft, nor football — I know enough, and I watch every Vikings game a share of other games, but I don’t know these QBs like many of you. I do know about life, though. What I see amongst all the experts is typical– disagreement. One QB is the upcoming Joe Montana in one expert’s critique, while the same QB is a complete disaster in another expert’s view. It really is a gamble toward the future.

All of them have skill and physical attributes to a fairly high level—- the intangibles such as personality, values, work ethic and the like are what we should focus on– these are the rocks, the foundation of a person— skills can be honed and sharpened– a person’s character can be changed, but it is like turning the Titanic– takes small movements over long periods of time. I expect Frazier and Spielman will deliberate carefully and choose the best players for our team— what I am more concerned about is — will we be watching football in September?

20. By Nicholas on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus,

Yes, the next big event after the draft is coming up May 16th. Thats when the next hearing is scheduled to see which side the courts want to give leverage; The owners or the players.

On a brighter note; I am optimistic for whichver QB we decide to draft, as it seems that we have a great staff to groom whomever it may be : )

21. By Titus on Apr 20, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Nicholas

I am excited to see our team with the coaches we have– coaching is soooooo important– most Vikings fans know that if we had had TOP coaches the past 26 years, we probably would have been to three to five Superbowls with the teams we had. Probably three just in the 1998-2002 window.

22. By the draft guru on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

the best thing for the vikes is to trade down 19-22 pick and get a 3rd round pick I think locker will still be there if not draft andy dalton I like dalton over locker any day good qb winner yeah he didnt do much in the senior ball but didnt get but 2 or 3 throw there watch his film . if he was playing for the top school he would be rated in the top five qb if not the 1st qb in the draft.

23. By the draft guru on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

WITH THE 12 PICK THE VIKINGS ELECT TO TRADE DOWN GETTING 1ST 2ND AND 4TH. BOOOOOO
    WITH THE 19-22 WHICH EVER ON THEY GET THE VIKINGS SELECT MIKE POUNCEY YEAHHH WITH THE 12 PICK IN THE SECOND ROUND THE VIKINGS SELECT ANDY DALTON YEAHHHHH.

24. By DaNorseman on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

WHY CAN I NOT POST CERTAIN COMMENTS!!! AH IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! (and surprisingly I know this post will make it through) Does anyone know why this happens?!?!?!

25. By Ironman on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys I think we should take Greg McElroy in the 5th or 6th round, he is smart and he is acurate plus this gives us a chance to focus on other needs like DL or OL. But even if he turns out to be a bust we can use him on the bench with his smarts, he did get a 48 out of 50 on the wonderlick test

26. By tj on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

For #12, best man on the board period. There are so many holes to fill that it would be stupid to take a high risk on our first-round pick. QB is a must but there will be a solid option in the early 2nd-round and if that begins to look otherwise then the Vikes could always trade up to get in the hunt.

27. By John H. on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Please, God, don’t let the Vikings take Jake Locker at #12. His completion percentage last year was worse than every NFL QB other than Mark Sanchez and Jimmy Clausen.

28. By Purple pride man on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

RYAN MALLETT! Come on Vikings. Top 5 talent!!! The rumors are all mirrors. With these veterans and great calm coach in Frazier, Mallett would be AMAZING QB for the vikings! Paired with Percy, Shanq and AP would be awesome. Pinpoint accuracy and great touch on his long ball. the vikings offense would be able to score from ANYWHERE, on ground or through the air. His slow 40 doesn’t mean a thing. if you watch his game footage , he moves around great in the pocket. Almost 6th sense, Brady/Manning esk. Defensive lineman are faster then Brady/Manning/Big Benn but they seem to be able to make plays. DON”T LET HIM GET AWAY VIKINGS! up down where ever. There is a rookie payscale this year. He h as too much upside!! Don’t overspend on the third teir QB’s

29. By RMJ on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Mallett does look like a good fit if the Vikings like his Character.
    MIKE Wobschall,
    Why haven’t you done a Blog on Ryan Malllett? I see Locker, Stanzi, Colin, etc etc. Where is Malletts blog? He Said in a statement that he thinks he could thrive in Minnesota and likes the Organization. Wondering what your thoughts are!! : )

30. By animal26 on Apr 21, 2011 | Reply

Vikings please Go after Tyrod Taylor in the 5th round. This guy will be a steal in this years draft and will give you the franchise QB the Vikings have been desperately searching for!!!! use the first 3-4 draft picks and focus on the area’s such as: Defensive backs, Offensive line, defensive line, wide receiver, and in this years draft.

31. By Vikings4life on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

Please please please dont pass on Amukamara if here is still there at twelve and let him slip to the lions cause we will pay for it for many years to come!!!! they need a CB and wll take 5 seconds to make their pick if amukamara is on the board. He was a teammate with Suh I agree go after Taylor if he is on the board in the 6th or 7th round

32. By Eugene Fichter on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

We have alot of holes to fill. So you should get what you can at first. If we can get that good CB, then so be it. At twelve if we can get an outstanding DT or DE we should get him. We can fill more holes by trading down. That is what I would do, because it is a deep draft at QB and DT and DE and at CB and WR. I don’t have all the answers, but I say trade down! Gene

33. By Arrow86 on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

What happened to RHETT BOMAR??? I’m kidding of course, last winter I read several posts stating he was the answer to our quarterback dreams. We only have a week left until we find out who the Viking brass like the best! O-line and secondary are a need as well. The poor finish will get us a slightly easier schedule, but hay, it’s the NFL and on any given Sunday…. Stay true to the purple!

34. By vikelifer on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

I agree with titus on the fact that good coaches make all the difference in the world.The Vikings looked the other way when they had,Mike Tomlin and Tony Dungy.They could have been our leaders but we can’t change the past,I think Frazier will be a great coach and the other coaches he brought on board will help,they have a few Superbowl rings between them,maybe not as coaches but that will come.I think they need D-line 1st pick.Pat W.not getting any younger or skinnier, there are alot to pick from.2nd look at Kappernick or Ponder,Dalton or if we miss on those guys Stanzi would be a good choice in a latter round,I’m a huge Hawkeye Fan and he could be groomed into a real good QB he puts forth alot of effort trying to get better every day ie.. Tom Brady.If we don’t pick up a QB then go with what we got.If they pick any QB at 12 it better be Mallet.

35. By Parody on Apr 22, 2011 | Reply

If we grab a QB at #12, you can bet it’ll be Locker. The second most projected selection at #12 is DaQuan Bowers, who right now is being considered a gamble because of injury issues. Personally, I’m almost always in favor of gambling, except that our defense has enough injury issues as it is, without adding another.

So with that, unless we get a guy like Jones or Amukamara to choose from, I sincerely hope that we trade back and pick up some extra draft picks while grabbing Mallett or Locker in the mid-late first round.

36. By Nick on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

Please not Locker at no. 12. Has to be Mallet at that spot, or failing that, J.J. Watt is possibly the most versatile of all the DL guys on display. Call me crazy but if we took Mallet in the first and Rudolph in the second, who incidentally can help our O-Line and receiving, along with A.P. in the backfield we can allow ourselves to drool a little at that prospect.

37. By ironman on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

cam jordan @ #12 no QB maybe in 2nd round

38. By dave on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

we need to get amukamura if hes there dont pass him and if free agency happens get asmougha and Harvey Dahl if there is free agency and pick up some safties if we want a legitiment chance at the super bowl. i either would want kaepernick, Mallet, or Stanzi at quarterback if we draft 1. IF free agency i wouldnt mind getting vince young either we have a good runningback we dont need a amazing quarterback build around AP.

39. By PAUL M. on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

OK PEOPLE, WE KNOW THIS DRAFT IS DEEP IN RUNNING BACKS & D-LINE.

OUR PROBLEM IS THAT IN MOST OF THE SKILL POSITIONS LIKE QB, CB, WR & S, THERE’S A PRETTY STEEP DROP IN TALENT LEVELS AFTER ABOUT THE 1st TWO PLAYERS!

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR US IS THAT I BELIEVE MANY OF THE TEAMS ARE GOING TO TRY TO MOVE UP. FOR INSTANCE, I’VE READ THAT GREEN BAY COVETS PRINCE AMUKAMARA OR ONE OF THE TOP D-LINEMEN AND IS LOOKING TO MOVE UP VIA TRADE. DITTO FOR BELICHIK, WHO WILL PROBABLY USE OUR 3rd RD. PICK IN A PACKAGE DEAL TO MOVE UP AND GRAB CERTIFIED GOLD.

I WANT US TO BE AGGRESSIVELY TRYING TO TRADE UP & GRAB GABBERT OR STEAL TYRON SMITH FROM DALLAS. OR EVEN GET ROBERT QUINN OR THE PRINCE.

40. By Podgornski on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

To start, I believe this draft could possibly be a suprisingly unpredictable one given that most of the first teams to pick have more than one glaring need. Secondly, there are no immediate impact players for the Vikes after Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, and Amukamara. Plenty of good players left after them for sure. I’ve watched the Vikes every week for many years and the past couple of years its been harder for them to run the ball. AD is running into defenders a yard and a hafl into the backfield most of the time that they know its going to him. As has been said, and is true, the game is won and lost in the trenches. If the Vikes scouts and coaches see a dominate O-lineman available at 12, please take him! If not, I like the scenario of trading # 12 for more mid-round picks. And if the vikes decide to pick a QB at any point, I like Mallet or Stanzi. Otherwise I really hope the trenches get fortified.

41. By James on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

Drafting an OL and getting DT Mabene from FA or drafting DL and picking up OL FA. Move up from 2nd rnd. pick up Mallett.

42. By Mas on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

The vikes can’t pass on Prince at 12 if he is still there. Look at all the Corners we have this year and coming off injuries? Do we have enough Cornerbacks to cover a pass happy team like the Packers? I Don’t think so. Most experts project the Vikes picking a DE. No way!! They just signed Robinson. Prince will be the guy. I would like the second round to fortify the OL and after the 5th round pick up Tyrod Taylor. He will be a steal. No need to waste a first rounder on this years crop of QBs.

43. By Podgornski on Apr 23, 2011 | Reply

My wish list in order of impact, need and availability.

1) Patrick Peterson
    2) Amukamara
    3) any of these avail..T Smith, Pouncey, Castonzo
    4) If none of above avail…Liuget, CB-A.Williams, AJ Green
    5) Mallet, Stanzi
    7) JJ Watt, Cam Jordan.

44. By James on Apr 24, 2011 | Reply

Was A.Willaims moved over to F.S. by Mayock,if he’s willing to move to F.S. he would be great in the tampa two.Get him in the second maybe?

45. By Wobshallcheck on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

c’mon Mike – use that spellcheck function. If you don’t spell Frazier’s name correctly… how will Viking nation?