Vikings Hit The Road For First Two Preseason Games Of 2011

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on April 12, 2011 – 2:03 pm

Today, the NFL announced the 2011 preseason schedule.  The Vikings four opponents are as follows:

Preseason Week 1 (August 12-13): at Tennessee

Preseason Week 2 (August 19-20): at Seattle

Preseason Week 3 (August 26-27): vs. Dallas

Preseason Week 4 (August 31 – September 1): vs. Houston

Not surprisingly, the team is on the road for the first two games while repairs are made to the roof at Mall of America Field due to last December’s snow storm in the Twin Cities.  The dates above are tentative and times will be announced over the coming weeks.  The full Vikings 2011 schedule will probably be announced sometime between now and the NFL Draft, which takes place in New York City from April 28-30.

However, as most fans know, the teams Minnesota will play during the 2011 regular season are already set, as you can see here:

Home - GB, DET, CHI, NO, TB, ARI, OAK, DEN

Away - GB, DET, CHI, WAS, CAR, ATL, SD, KC

Posted in All | 59 Comments »

59 Responses to “Vikings Hit The Road For First Two Preseason Games Of 2011”

1. By Frederick Jones on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

It’s hard to believe the owners want to miss their millions this year by not playing any games.

But they did do that in baseball one year. Is baseball more popular because of that strike?

2. By Mike B on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I will say I am proud to be a naysayer to Joe Webb until proven wrong. I probably stand in good company as Coach Fraizer is not going out of his way to call Joe Webb his guy. Have a great day

3. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

hmm as of right now , i see 6 wins maybe 7 … and 2-4 in the division

4. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

thats 2 of 4 in division not 2 to 4

5. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – But there’s 6-divisional games…. so do you see the team winning 3 and losing 3, or are you just uncertain of how the other 2-games will turn out?

6. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

lol yes sorry parody, i tried to simplify and i scre’wed the pooch ..

try it this way 2 wins and 4 losses

as of right now, after FA and draft i might change my mind

7. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

as of right now i see us splitting with detroit and 1 of the other 2 and getting swept by one of them probably green bay

8. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

i see carolina and denver as sure things so thats 4 and i think we beat the raiders at home … and Im pretty sure we beat the skins but if we dont i still see 2 more going our way, just because its the NFL and we will get a couple underdog wins

9. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

if we played skins at home id call it a sure thing, since its a road game i think its a toss up

10. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

o i missed the cardinals … lol im really dragging this out

Vikings 8-8 and thats my final answer lol until the draft and FA is done

11. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Well, outside of the division I personally think we have a good chance of beating Tampa Bay, Arizona, Oakland, Washington, Carolina, San Diego and Kansas City. Give us two wins in the division and we’re 9-7. Not a good chance of making the playoffs, but a couple of lucky games and we’re right up there for a wild card.

12. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

O, I forgot how bad Denver did last year. Add that one to the list and we’ve got a pretty good shot at sneaking in to the playoffs.

13. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

And of course I think we have a good chance against the Saints, simply because it’s a home game against a team that we had two close losses to in the last two years on the road. If the Vikings can return to their homefield dominance that they’ve had in recent years (before 2010) then we can be right back in the mix this year.

14. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

so we are pretty close in thinking 1 game differance, i dont think you can underestimate tampa

15. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

i think if we get mcnabb or palmer and resign rice, we will be in the playoffs to at least the final 8 maybe the final 4

16. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I was a little iffy on Tampa, but I haven’t heard much good about them and it’s another home game, so I’m giving the Vikings the benefit of the doubt.

17. By Shawn on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

we have to get a starter in the first round and resign rice …. i am not against getting our future qb in the first but to make the playoffs we have to get a starter on OL , DL, S, or QB

I think Webb could get us to the playoffs with a very strong team around him much the way TJack did

18. By Frederick Jones on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

It’s okay to be skeptical of Vikings players right now. But I hope you get on Joe Webb’s bandwagon once he starts winning football games for the Minnesota Vikings ! ! !

19. By Frederick Jones on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

It is true that Joe Webb has not had a lot of experience as an NFL quarterback. That makes people nervous, and with good reason.

However, Joe was an award winning student at the University of Alabama Birmingham, and has a solid reputation.

You cannot say that about all of the draft prospects.

20. By Parody on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I agree there Shawn. We can bring in an unknown vet at QB, much the same way that we brought Gus in just for the knowledge that he adds to the position. We don’t necessarily need a guy like McNabb or Palmer, just someone who can impart some extra wisdom on the young gunslingers.

21. By Titus on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I said 10-6 when we first looked at the season match-ups a few months ago— I will stick with that prognosis, optimistically. Anything goes in the NFL– we have a greatly improved coaching staff, still have one of the best running backs in the league– if not THE best– and some very solid areas in defense and a few strong weapons in offense– and I expect we will not be viewed as a big threat like last year, so we will catch a few teams off guard. And, just like what happened to us last year, other “decent to very good teams” of last year will have their struggles– some of the teams on our list that may seem good, may not be so great- like Tampa and Green Bay— HA HA HA — had to throw Rolly Rogers in there. HA HA HA.

22. By Olly on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Im also a Viking fan but I can see you all wanting them to win most 50-50 games… realism…I doubt that will happen as the depth and moral of this mentally weak team after last year needs time to heal and some average upcoming teams, will be in far advanced of the Vikes metal progress and systematic plays. I predict a pretty grim season with 6-10.
    Maybe with an aswome draft this can change slightly….but not enough for a mid table finish….Sorry

23. By Daniel on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

The list of teams we play this year looks good.

If we do dump alot of players this year and bring in young talent, this will be a

good year to solidify our weak spots, and bring in some much needed youth.

24. By Jessica on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I am a true Viking fan and believe they can pull anything off. If you are not a fan, why do you check thier website? GO VIKES

25. By James on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Saying the Vikings will be average this year is alittle early to judge…….The Vikings still have the draft and free agent pick ups and maybe even a trade………With good coaching it could change some people’s minds……Vikes need Rice to make it happen….

26. By Parody on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@Olly – I can see you wanting to be a Vikings fan, but the depth of your intelligence needs time to improve. 5 or 6 years tops.

Do you honestly think that morale of a bad year is enough to keep a team in the gutter 8-months later? Does your boss buy those kinds of excuses?

“We had a poor year last year, as profits show we were in the negative. Don’t expect this to improve for the next couple of years, since the company needs time to heal and we should accept that the moajority of our customers will be leaving us for the average competitors that decided to not let last year’s performance dictate their performance for the next decade.”

27. By Melkiper on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait until two weeks for the draft, I have a feeling mallett or locker will be a viking. Drafting a qb is only one part of the equation, how the coaches develop them is another. I hope they don’t just draft a qb and let him warm the benches and baby him. I hope we seriously get him going, let him make mistakes he will eventually succeed. Majority of qb’s are thrown in there over time they become better the game slows down and they can read defenses.

28. By Alex lawson on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

VIKINGS FAN!!!!! We need to start a rally to get Adrian on the cover! I don’t believe in a curse and #28 deserves a madden cover! Everyone place your votes at espn.com/madden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. By Seabass on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I’m telling you, Mallett is going to be a great starter in the NFL. He has great football IQ, ran a pro-style offense, make line calls, check downs, audibles, he understands the game. The Vikings need to take Mallett in this draft.

30. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

By Oly’s logic, there is no way we would go from the season we had in 2009 to the season in 2010– how can a team be a pass from the Superbowl at 12-4 one year and the next year struggle to get to 6-10? The opposite can happen– look at Chicago last year.
    Anyway, Parody, you were a bit rough with the dude–

31. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

We need to get Adrian to the Superbowl!!! Forget this video game nonsense– put Rodgers on it– he played superbly last season and won the Championship.
    Everything has an orderly progression– GET AP to the Superbowl, then we can put him on video games, billboards and the rest– don’t put the cart before the horse.
    Typical Minnesota mentality— mediocrity– let’s get our star on a video game cover— NO — let’s win the Superbowl.

32. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Champions are never champions without an unwavering FOCUS.
    Superbowl. Period.

33. By Daniel on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Titus, your exactly right! Good take!
    One thing that I have noticed when advertisments, and commercials, and all that other stuff gets worked into a players offseason, you can really tell the effects through concentration.
    I would rather see AP focussed than destracted by making Cash on the side. We have got to get that Championship ring!

34. By DRS on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Nothing matters without a stadium; it will be too much of a distraction.

35. By DRS on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Vikings step up to the plate and get it done. Help the state find a way to get a new stadium.

36. By DRS on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Have to go, God bless U-all.

37. By Seabass on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone else here believe that Ryan Mallett would be a great fit for the Vikings?

38. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Well TITUS is right again.

You can prognosticate right now, but how can you expect to be accurate?

Bud Grant used to say that it takes 3 years to judge a draft.

Chad Greenway was hurt his rookie year like Chris Cook. Greenway is probably our best linebacker right now.

Joe Senser got hurt before he even played in a game, spent his rookie year on the Taxi squad, and became a 1000 yard Tight End for the Vikings.

Sid Rice didn’t do much his rookie year either. And there are other examples.

39. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

It’s better for fans to be optimistic. Being pessimistic sometimes puts too much pressure, and negativity on a team.

As a high school coach, I always want our fans to be positive. It’s tough to knock out negativity! It’s even tougher to knock out positivity!!!

40. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@Seabass,

I just finished watching some You Tube.com highlights and interviews with Ryan Mallet.

He has a very quick release, which is something that is difficult to teach. He claims to enjoy studying films and may have a “high football IQ.”

It’s hard to tell from these videos if he would be great in the NFL. I would want to see him in an actual game.

41. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, I am right often? It’s not about being right– but I don’t see our team in the cellar– a lot of changes have been made since Childress left— and a fair amount of what was “right” about our team is still somewhat intact– I just want the CBA issues to be resolved soon– so we can EVEN have a season. Please– it makes facing winter in MN bearable– it is like a distraction to the impending doom– we enjoy the fall so much more, and don’t think about the tundra coming.

42. By Justin F on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

For now, I just hope that the NFL draft will help the Vikings greatly.

43. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Can anyone remember a team in the NFL that had strong O Line and D Lines, and yet they lost more than they won?

44. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I’ve heard it said, “yeah they have great receivers, and a great running back, but their offensive line stinks.” Or they have a great QB, and defense, but the Offensive Line is terrible.”

But never have I heard, “They have great linemen, but the rest of the team stinks.”

We need linemen ! ! ! :) :) :) :) :)

45. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Well, FREDERICK JONES IS RIGHT AGAIN! The lines are the foundation of the team– without a firm foundation a building will not stand. Receivers and QBs are like furniture and windows– they look good and make the game exciting, but they alone will not hold up a victory.

46. By Frederick Jones on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

The blog is even slower than usual today. Everyone is probably doing their taxes. I thought I was done, but I still have a couple things left.

47. By Mike B on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

@Fred

Yes I will be cheering for Joe Webb if he gets the starting job and will be big enough to say I was wrong. I am a vikings fan first. I said during last years draft that they picks were lousy. The rookies performed much better than I expected and I came on this blog and admitted I was wrong. Will do the same if Joe Webb turns out to be the guy. No worries here.

48. By Titus on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Fred– remember taxes are due on Monday– relax, plenty of time.

49. By Daniel on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Thank goodness fans are expressing more on our O-line and D-line issue.

Guys, don’t for get to look at our Ben Lieber area. this guy only recorded 30 some tackles for the entire year. E.J. at 101, and Greenway at 144. See the differance?

50. By Frederick Jones on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I admit I didn’t know that I had until April 18. Thank you for the “reminder.”

51. By Frederick Jones on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel,

I doubt Singletary will miss any problems in the linebacker area. I just hope he doesn’t draw blood! lol

52. By Mike B on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think you have to worry much about Ben Lieber as he was not extended a tender this year. It’s very likely he will not be playing for the vikings this year.

53. By Parody on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Mike – I think that Daniel means the team should look at replacing him – potentially in the draft. Personally, I think it’s time to put Erin Henderson in the starting role there. It still won’t hurt to bring in another LB somewhere in the later rounds for depth.

54. By Daniel on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Here are my top three OLBs that I feel would fit great in our system: Bruce Carter. If we some how could grab him in 2nd rd or third if we trade down.
    Brooks Reed OLB Arizona. This guy is a flat out beast! 4.68 in the 40. plays just like Clay Mathews! Just take a little time and look at his combine, and highlights. This Guy would be a stong force on our D.
    Ross Homan OLB, Ohio State. very obtainable and plays just like laurinitis in St Louis, Would be a good pick up.

55. By Parody on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel – I don’t think that we need to grab a LB early in this year’s draft. We are in a pass happy division right now, which is going to require the use of Nickel and Dime packages too much to have 3 top-end LBs on the roster.

Brinkley, Farwell, Onatolu and Henderson are all quality backups that have been helping out a lot on special teams, as well as stepping in for injuries. I have a feeling that one of these guys, with Henderson as my first pick, will do a great job at stepping into the starter role.

EJ is the oldest LB on the team, and it may be time to start finding his eventual replacement but I think that we may already have something in the works there after seeing Brinkley fill in admirably for the 2009 injury. If he doesn’t pan out, there’s still time to find the next stud(well) in next year’s draft, or possibly the one after that. Right now, our defense needs to focus on putting the line back together and getting better at covering the pass.

56. By dave on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

i agree and i have to go with 7 and 9 next year i think i just really want to beat the saints and i think id want us to get Matt Barkley next year and get a veteran this year. build on defense line and secondary and offensive line and we’ll be set

57. By Jacob on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Tampa’s scary, completely unpredictable

58. By dallas foggy Glass on Sep 30, 2014 | Reply

Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts
    and I am waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.

2. Apr 13, 2011: Packers & Vikings 2011 Preseason Schedules « Purple Pants, Green Jersey