Vikings Grade Well In 5-Year Study Of NFL Drafts

Posted by Mike Wobschall on April 5, 2011 – 10:12 am

I mentioned last week that draft time is a great time to be a Vikings fan, pointing out 4 primary reasons: 1) the draft annually represents a “new” season, 2) this year’s draft is deep with talented players, particularly on defense, 3) the Vikings have a great track record in the draft under VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman and 4) the Vikings have a full contingent of 9 selections in this year’s draft.

Fortifying the argument for point #3 is a recent study conducted by CSN Bay Area and writer Matt Maiocco in which they analyze the past 5 NFL drafts (2006-2010). In their study, the Vikings ranked 7th among the NFL’s 32 teams, an impressive accomplishment and one that helped the Vikings win back-to-back division championships in 2008 and 2009.

The survey took into consideration: where teams selected; how many star players were acquired; booms and busts at the top of the draft; late-round gems; and how the players selected contributed to wins and losses. In fairness, we must point out that Spielman’s first draft with the Vikings was in 2007, but this study covers 4 of Spielman’s drafts in Minnesota and is a legitimate gauge of his and the Vikings entire personnel department’s performance.

Here is the commentary next to the Vikings in the study: “Peterson, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin have been to Pro Bowls. In fact, Peterson has been to Pro Bowls in his first four seasons after being chosen No. 7 overall in 2007. The Vikings have not missed with their first-round picks. Defensive end Ray Edwards, a fourth-round pick in 2006, has 26.5 sacks over the past four seasons. During this time, McCauley, a third-round pick in 2007, is the only player selected before the fourth round who is no longer on the roster. The only problem with their drafts over the past five years is that they have not set themselves up at quarterback. The Vikings selected Tarvaris Jackson with the 64th pick in 2006, but then opted on luring Brett Favre out of ‘retirement’ the past two years.”

Here is where other NFC North teams ranked: Packers (1st), Bears (16th) and Lions (19th).

Tags: ,

115 Responses to “Vikings Grade Well In 5-Year Study Of NFL Drafts”

1. By Daniel on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I have always liked Spielman. I think he does a great Job with talent. We are lucky to have someone like him in his position. I just hope he is not pressed to pick a QB in the first or second. That would be such a waste, not with this years crop of QB. I hope the organization views this as our most critical draft in years. They have picked good players, but this year we need more construction than our roof! If they do build a stadium in the future, I hope they build on a good foundation, and that is where we should begin. both on d-line and o-line.

2. By Bob on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I don’t get what the vikings were thinking last year trading down to get chris cook a bust, totally disappointed in last years draft. Spielman I hope you don’t make the same mistake chris cook was not even a high on a draft board the kid cant cover squat with injury issues.

3. By Bob on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I hope the vikes draft for needs instead of bpa we will never patch up the holes if we disregard the qb position. Draft a qb this team needs to settle this position it has been lurking over our shoulders for years.

4. By Mike Wobschall on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Bob – Seems a bit early to call a 2010 2nd-round pick a bust, especially when that player sustained 2 knee injuries and missed significant time. I think we should give that pick more time to bake and make a judgment later, perhaps after the 2011 season.

5. By Parody on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Good point Mike. Was Greenway written off so quickly? After suffering an injury that cost him his entire rookie season he now is one of the best LBs in the NFL.

Still, the selection was confusing. There was a QB and a Safety on the board, both who appeared to be able to fill a need for the team and we decided to trade back and take a rather unknown CB instead. Personally I’m still not sold on Gerhart yet either. After, drafting a backup player in the second round, he is going to need to do a lot whenever he’s on the field to really convince me that he was worth the selection.

6. By Carl K on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I am still scratching my head over the 2006 draft. In the 2nd round we took a raw unknown 6-6 center named Ryan Cook and tried to make him a tackle when he has never played OT. Then we traded 2 – 3rd round picks to move up to the 64th position in the 2nd round and take another raw unknown talent named Tavaris Jackson. In 35 starts at Alabama State, T-Jack only completed 54.5 % of his throws. SI.com analysis on T-Jack at the time said this: He is a raw developmental prospect who could be stashed on a practice squad. Jackson needs time complete his game.

In 2006 we had picks to trade up with and instead of going after Jay Cutler we go after Ryan Cook and Tavaris Jackson. WOW!

7. By 4eversteve on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

It maybe a bit premature to write Chris Cook off as a draft bust, he did show signs in the preseason that he could play and wasn’t intimidated with the speed of the game. That being said he is not doing himself any favors by having run in’s with the law. He will have to walk the straight and narrow line if he want to remain in the league and more than likely will be receiving a letter from the commissioner requesting his presents in New York along with an explanation of how the incident he was involved in occurred along with a suspension, which more than likely will be levied upon him.

8. By JIm M on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Carl, I agree with you about Cook, never could figure that out. He had three years at center at New Mexicao. Someone commented that he didn’t have physical profile of center to suit Childress. He did play well the couple of time they used him last year, I believe it was last year. But then there was a couple of miscommunications between him and Favre.
    Parody, as far a qb last year, it was never going to happen under Childress. TJ was his guy and he wasn’t going to admit to a mistake. Instead he brought in Favre.

9. By Carl K on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

We don’t seem to have much luck when we target a player and try to move up and get him…. remember John David Booty.

The reason why Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and Chad Greenway have been good pick is because they were “best player available” at the time. We didn’t get cute and try to reach for a player to fill a need or because some scout saw raw talent in a kid.

10. By Joe C on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike – Let’s face it Chris Cook was horrible last year. He got burnt time after time by every receiver he was supposed to cover. Even Edwards called him out after he got cooked for the 3rd time in the Green Bay game. Quarterbacks were looking to see where he was so they could exploit him. The Vikings secondary needs at least one shut down corner which Spielman was hoping Cook was the guy. Spielman has made some great picks but Cook is not one of them. That you can be sure of besides the Vikings cannot gamble on Cook finding skills overnight they need to fix that secondary now not in 2012.

11. By chris26 on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry, but there is NO way the packers should be number 1. I don’t care if they won the superbowl, because as far as I’m concerned that had more to do with teams rolling over for them than who is on their team. Even if i thought rodgers is as good as his receivers make him look, he was drafted before that time period so I’m hoping they aren’t counting him. The only guy on the roster who I am even slightly impressed with is Clay Matthews. Give me a break best drafters.

12. By Sean on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

@bob you should’nt judge players on one season

13. By Joe C on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Carl,

I agree with you 100% about Cutler – Yes even when Jay had his issues early in the year. Martz figured out how to protect him and wham PLAYOFF BOUND BEARS. Cutler is a stud, can you imagine him in Minny?

14. By Carl K on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I am not sold on Gerhart either.. agian the Vikings had a “target” on him.
    They gave away a 3rd round pick to move up a few spots to get him in the 2nd round when most experts had him as a 3rd round talent.

Don’t get cute Speilman – stick to best available

15. By Carl K on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Don’t Reach for a QB!!! We already have a good one in Joe Webb.
    2 of Webb’s 3 ints came agianst the Bears in miserable conditions when the game was out of reach.

Joe threw 1 int in his 2 starts and was very close to winning both games and completed over 60% of his throws. (remember Rice dropped a TD p@ss that would have really helped his QB rating too) What more can we ask from a young QB.

Keep us in the game… give us a big play every once in a while that will make us say holy cow… and keep giving us that endzone dance.

Watching Webb play in preseason and in the final 3 games was one of the few highlights in a disappointing season.

Webb has a big arm. Webb stands tall in the pocket at 6’4. Webb is accurate. Webb is poised in the pocket and poised as a field general. Webb is fast as the wind.

Webb is exactly what the Vikings need. I have said it before and I will say it agian. NO WAY CAN A ROOKIE BEAT OUT JOE WEBB.

Locker plays small and can’t stand in the pocket like Joe can.
    Mallett can’t get out of the pocket like Webb can.
    Ponder is not as durable as Webb (Ponder wouldn’t last a full year with our OL)
    Kapernick is not as strong as Webb or as fast or as accurate.
    I like Webbs attitude over Newtons.
    Dalton… maybe Dalton but I am not sure if he has an NFL arm?

16. By Frederick Jones on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K.,

He also has enormous hands, which can help a qb in many different ways; preventing turnovers, throwing in wet or cold weather, and waving to fans after throwing td p@sses :)

17. By Frederick Jones on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

And Joe Webb has the name of many great qbs:
    Joe Ferguson (Bills 1970s 1980s)
    Joe Namath (1960s 70s)
    Joe Montana (1980s and 90s)
    Joe Kapp (former Viking QB in the 70s)
    Joe Gilliam (Steelers would have been great except for racism)

18. By Frederick Jones on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I am not better than that. In fact, I’m not even as good as I was in the past.
    But it doesn’t mean that I can’t make a comeback :)

19. By Frederick Jones on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

We watched the Packers play twice during the regular season. Who, in their right mind, thought the Packers would be Super Bowl Champions?

I thought they were a 9-7 team.

So the Vikings CAN make that kind of comeback.

AND JOE WEBB WILL LEAD THEM TO NUMBER 1

20. By paul on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Good luck Mr. Webb..

21. By Titus on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I am still in shock the Packers won it all– I am wondering if there really is a correlation between the WWF and the NFL after last season.

22. By Rogerthevikefan on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Webb is the the best option. Why reach for Locker. I do like Ponder and Devlin but I like Joe alot more. Why not give Webb the keys for the year and if he crashes well then you could choose between Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, or Nick Folk.

23. By Shawn on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the Bengals might actually cut Carson Palmer ….

I WOULD LOVE CARSON PALMER / JOE WEBB / ANDY DALTON DEPTH CHART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palmer would be a solid starter until either Webb or Dalton is ready and it never hurts to have 2 good QBs …. Montana / Young

Worse case scenario we have trade bait in 2 years either Webb or Dalton

24. By Cor- on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Dalton can read defenses ! I also think palmer under a fresh environment, webb, and add a very smart man in dalton is great !

25. By MGR4FUN on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

i think #14 joe webb will be the man for years to come … dalton will be available later … florida c/g michael pouncey at #12 is the right choice … some movement may be neccessary to get back in and score … california de cameron jordan with our second selection … again some movement required to get back into the third for dalton … we hav 6 picks in the final three rounds i see 3 of those as fuel to insure those three choices … rounds 4/5/6/7 will all be for depth in the “D” … i am also hopin that a certain ex-raider corner “NNAMDI ASOMUGHA” is wearin purple for the next 3 to 5 years … one more thing for all you none believers in toby … do some homework and compare toby’s numbers to chester taylor’s numbers last year … i’ll take toby … and the adrian and toby show is gonna be something to watch for years to come … provided the 10+million $ all-day-slave decides he still wants to play … sorry ya all that one really hit a nerve with me … i lov watchin adrian play the game but that was just wrong … anyway … pouncey / jordan / dalton add some depth in the defense and “NNAMDI ASOMUGHA ” and we are good to go

26. By Daniel on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

As far as Cook goes, before his injury (on both knees!) he looked very impressive. He will be fine. Griffen was not that good but has developed into a good corner. asher Allen is a good nickle corner pick up too. As far as Gerhert goes, This guy is Good, I would feel completly comfotable putting the ball in his hands if peterson got hurt (knock on wood). I think the picks of T-Jack, Booty, and others were force picks by our horrable last coach. We have been ranked #7 as far as draft picks go since spielman has been our evaluator. We are extremely lucky to have a guy like him looking at players. I love the idea of grabbing Carson palmer, and Asomugha. Asomugha is a flat out corner. his skills are better than any corner in the nfl. That would be a BIG differance maker for years and years.

27. By Frederick Jones on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel,

If ASOMUGHA is that good draft him first, POUNCEY second, and BARTHOLOMEW 4th.

Carson Palmer should be a decent backup for Joe Webb.

We may have to trade up to get Pouncey.

28. By Jeremy on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick, Joe Theisman, too~

29. By Jon on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb – Drafted 199th overall 2010
    Tom Brady – Drafted 199th overall 2000
    Things have worked out pretty well over there the past 10 years
    (no real argument here but just sayin)

30. By AdrianPetersonFan on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Dalton is not a franchise type qb he will be a matt flynn just a backup qb in the league, and dalton is considered a lifelong backup. If I were the vikings out of the bunch I would pick mallett, yes the kid has maturity problems his arm strength, mediocre accuracy is something worth considering. I don’t think he will be a bust for one because the vikings are not a bottom pile garbage team that most top draft picks have to go to carry it all on there back. The vikings are not fully loaded but they do have explosive weapons and it would make mallett’s job a little easier. I think mallet has a good size to be a qb that would help his vision on the field. Not a scrambler but mannings, brady, brees, rothlesberger aren’t neither. I see mallett stature is kind of like rothlesberger not very quick out of the pocket but sure fires it dead on target. Who knows if the vikings will get mallett but they always end up drafting a late round qb that is a bench warmer besides culpepper this team has a bad eye for qb’s int he draft I have to admit. I hope the vikings do there homework and not just get a guy just to get a guy.

31. By Mark S on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I will not purchase any NFL licensed products for 1 year from the date a CBA or some other form of working agreement is made between owners and players. I will tell everybody in my family that I’m not going to accept any licensed products as gifts. I will not spend any money for tickets, parking or concessions in 2011. If there is a 2011 season. I will not purchase Sunday Ticket from direcTV nor will my brother. I will not purchase any item that is an official sponsor of the NFL. That is my boycott, since I am only a thousandaire-copared to the million-billionaires fighting over our money!

32. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Mark- one year won’t hurt these guy’s wallets– they would expect a few fans to not show– I won’t watch football for five years if there is no season this year.

33. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Sorry– *guys’

34. By Mike B on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

The point Sue made in last post makes sense. The Wilfs want a competitive team now, so a move toward a QB makes sense. I don’t believe as the rest of you do about the OL. One bad year doesn’t mean they are falling apart. Some of you have valid points about McKinney’s effort last year, but he can comeback and have a great year. Loadholt and Sullivan are inexperienced guys and will more than likely be much better this year than last. Specifically Sullivan if he can remain healthy. RG is probably the only position on the line that would bring in a valid question. I don’t see taking a high draft pick for one positon in the line. QB makes sense at 12 or there’s a 10 ten WR out there if he falls could be a valuable pick. If they did pick that WR probably Rice becomes expendable. This is a team looking to win now not rebuilding.

35. By Mike B on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred responded to you in last thread. I really don’t have to say what’s wrong with Webb as it is obvious the coaches don’t think he’s the guy. Why look at QBs so hard if you have your guy. It’s obvious Webb is either not ready or is not an NFL caliber QB. You can talk about his hands and everything else. Just like TJack the writing is on the wall I am just pointing to the wall. Have fun

36. By Dave on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

are only bad year was last year what were they thinking of trading down

37. By Dave on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

we should trade up and get Gabbert or Newton i would rather have gabbert but i would take newton and we should make sure we keep ray edwards hes played good sense we got him

38. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

ARE only bad year? ARE is a verb! Geesh. What is going on in our schools?

39. By Stoney on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

You can never go wrong with a stud O-Lineman. As for the QB talk, it could be dis-information. No team lets the real intentions out of the bag.

40. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, Dave-nothing personal by my post– moment I hit submit, I realized I should have kept my mouth shut. I teach writing to college students three days a week, so my pet peeve reared its head.

41. By Parody on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

It’s a new development Titus. I’ve started to notice a lot of people making that same “are” mistake in the past year. It obviously shows a lack of spelling intelligence, but I think that it also shows a deficiency in pronunciation. When people don’t know how to spell a word, they’ll wing it by spelling it the way that it sounds, so I think the solution needs to begin in reminding our children how to speak. It’s bad enough that we never get ample encouragement to learn a second language in school. We should at least insist on learning the primary language properly.

42. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

– Kevin Kolb to be Traded to the Vikings? –
    Wed Apr 6, 2011 –from FFMastermind.com

The Pioneer Press reports Eagles QB Kevin Kolb might be headed to the Vikings after the NFL lockout ends. The Eagles will likely end up with Minnesota’s first-round draft pick (No. 12 overall) in exchange for the 26-year-old quarterback. The penny-pinching Vikings are said to love the fact that Kolb’s salary is just $1.4 million this year

43. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Moss: ‘I would love to come back to Minnesota’

March 17 Minneapolis Star Tribune “In the spirit of a wacky week for the Vikings, we bring you a Randy Moss update. Moss did an interview with Vikings linebacker and guest host Erin Henderson on KFAN on Wednesday morning. (Moss told listeners that he was on his way to a casino to play slot machines when he called in to the show.) In the interview, Moss said he had no problems with former coach Brad Childress, would love to play a third stint with the Vikings and touched on his relationship with Vikings receiver Percy Harvin.

44. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Vikings finally close file on great Jackson experiment

March 4 Minneapolis Star Tribune “The Vikings and Tarvaris Jackson both wanted to move on. The team took another step toward severing ties with Jackson after five often turbulent seasons Thursday by electing not to use a restricted free-agent tender on the quarterback. Meanwhile, the Vikings and defensive end Brian Robison came to an agreement on a three-year, $14.1 million deal that included a $6.5 million signing bonus. All of this occurred as the NFL and the players’ association agreed to a 24-hour extension of the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) so negotiations could continue. Robison had been one of seven players to be tendered a qualifying offer by the Vikings. Also included on that list were safeties”

45. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I see the last post was a bit out dated. Sorry.

46. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Though the information is interesting, I think.

47. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Vikings in search of a franchise QB

April 6 Minneapolis Star Tribune “The Vikings have made it no secret they hope to find a franchise quarterback in the upcoming draft, a process that has taken them around the country for Pro Days and private workouts with a handful of the top prospects at that position. “It seems like that has definitely dominated the conversation and for good reason because of our situation,” coach Leslie Frazier said Tuesday. “We have other needs other than quarterback, but that is the most glaring one because when you look at teams that played in the Super Bowl and the teams that were in the playoffs, they had quality quarterbacks, guys they can hang their hats on for years to come, and we want to get to that point as well.” The Vikings”

48. By DRS on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Have to go now, God bless U-all.

49. By Parody on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

That’s what happens when you have African Americans that pay no attention in class they become illiterate and foolish. I’m sure everyone agrees with me on this one.

50. By Frederick Jones on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

@DRS,

You have really been doing your homework, although we knew about the Moss thing, and TJack. But it was good to hear about the possibility of getting Kolb (who I have never seen play).

I hope it’s more than just talk. You have to admit, there is a lot of that, and you do not know sometimes, if it’s just a strategy.

It might be wise, if you were the Eagles, to keep that second QB.

51. By PAUL M. on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE VIKINGS FRONT OFFICE: DO NOT DRAFT LOCKER!! HE’S TOO RISKY A PROJECT FOR SUCH A VALUABLE PICK, AND I WANT US TO STRIKE CERTIFIED GOLD AT #12!!! WE MUST DRAFT OUR QB OF THE FUTURE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS – INTELLIGENCE, ACCURACY & DECENT CHARACTER — BECAUSE “IF THEY AIN’T GOT IT BY NOW – WELL, THAT JUST “AIN’T GOOD ENOUGH” FOR THE #12 PICK.

EITHER TRADE UP IN THE DRAFT FOR GABBERT, OR DRAFT A BLUE CHIP VERSATILE O-LINEMAN WORTHY OF THE PICK, OR POSSIBLY, JULIO JONES OR PRINCE AMUKAMARA. THESE OUR OUR 3 IMMEDIATE GAPING NEEDS !

IN TODAY’S NFL, TEAMS LIKE GREEN BAY & CHICAGO WILL BE LINING UP WITH 4 OR 5 RECEIVERS & SPREADING OUT OUR DEFENSE — WE NEED CB’s – OR ROGERS, CUTLER & STAFFORD WILL BE FIST PUMPING IN OUR STADIUM.

I LOVE PERCY & “SHANK”, BUT IF SIDNEY GOES, WHO OUT THERE ACTUALLY HAS FAITH IN THE ELITE RECEIVING ABILITIES OF BASKET OR BERRIAN? ADRIAN WILL BE FACING 8 MAN FRONTS ALL SEASON!

DITTO FOR OUR O-LINE WHICH ALMOST SENT BRETT TO THE MORGUE LAST YEAR! OUR O-LINE IS OUR OFFENSE’S VIKING SHIELD, AND IT MUST BE STRENGTHENED THRU THE DRAFT.

THEN GO FOR PONDER / DALTON IN ROUND 2 — OR THE HIGHEST RATED PLAYER ON THE BOARD.

IT MAY JUST PROVE TO BE A BLESSING IN DISGUISE FOR US IF THERE ARE NO FREE AGENCY SIGNINGS BEFORE THE DRAFT. WHEN IT COMES TIME TO DEAL, THOSE FREE AGENTS MAY LOSE A LOT OF VALUE BECAUSE MANY TEAMS WERE FORCED TO DRAFT THOSE POSITIONS.
    THAT SHOULD LEAVE MANY VERY GOOD FREE AGENTS AGGRESSIVELY COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER FOR A GOOD TEAM TO PLAY ON.

AGGRESSIVELY GO AFTER KOLB OR CLEMENS — WE NEED MORE QB’s ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. WE CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY QB’s. TEAMS HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN THEIR $$$ & DRAFT PICKS / INVESTMENTS BACK BECAUSE OTHER TEAMS WILL ALWAYS BE DESPERATE FOR A GOOD YOUNG QB.

I BELIEVE THAT KELLEN CLEMENS IS A VERY UNDERRATED QB! PLEASE CHECK OUT SOME TAPE.

52. By Parody on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

^ Fraud Alert! ^

You made a nice attempt, “Parody”, but you made three mistakes. If I were the one to make a comment like that, I would have used “who” instead of “that” after “African Americans.” Secondly, the “they become illiterate and foolish” comment should have been a new sentence, and I never start a new thought without proper punctuation. Finally, a new sentence needs to be started with two spaces, and you only used one to start the final sentence.

“…foolish. I’m…”

I just thought you’d appreciate the grammar lesson so that maybe you can get away with it next time.

53. By Aceviking on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

I am sold on Joe Webb. I say we spend our draft picks on more important things: OL, DE, DB, and Safety. If someone can say something legitimately wrong with Webb I will listen. But until then, Joe Webb is the Vikings’ starter for 2011.

54. By Aceviking on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

If you are going to draft a QB, draft Stanzi to be a solid backup.

55. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Parody, don’t worry. The intelligent ones know that was not your comment– not even looking at the run-on sentence for a clue, but merely the content.

56. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Aceviking, we all like Joe Webb– even Chris Collinsworth does. But the kid played what- three games?– way too early to tell if he is our franchise QB.

57. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

At the start of the 2010 season, I recall the “experts” ranking the 32 back-up QBs and they ranked Tavaris at number 5– no, not from the bottom, but the fifth best back up in the league. I would disagree, but my point being many experts can get it wrong on a player after 5 years– how much more can we be mistaken because a young athletic QB ignited a very dismal season? Remember, Webb was one of the rare bright spots of what was anticipated to be a Superbowl season– I like Webb, but let’s not crown him prematurely.

58. By Titus on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

My posts are about PERSPECTIVE- Sometimes when there is not much to be happy about, we inflate the importance or quality when something gives us some hope– all I am saying is to remember that Webb was some rain in a desert plain– being thirsty can delude a man’s sensibilities. Again, I like Webb– but had we gone to the Superbowl on Favre’s arm and Webb had played a few 4th quarter clean-ups– we would think he has potential, but would everyone be saying he is the franchise?

59. By Mike B on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Good Point Titus Webb was drafted as a WR for the Vikings, but had some skill as QB. He was probably showing more talent than TJack was. The move made Sage expendible and got us a late draft pick. All good choices. The fact remains that the Vkings by word are still looking for the guy. This lends to the fact that Webb isn’t the guy. I like Webb’s potential as a Wildcat player. I would like to see the Vkings add more wildcat plays. Wilfs want to keep the team at a winning level now and are not looking at rebuilding. A QB is needed and a draft pick will be used for that QB even if there is a trade. NFL is now predicting DE will be used at #12 which would be a definate need. I am looking forward to see what the Vkings do with the pick. I don’t see your problems with the OL and I haven’t heard any informaton from the coaches about the OL. I would dare say that OL isn’t not on their board.

60. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Apr 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike, I disagree about the o-line. Even with mobile QB’s like Tjack and Webb, we were having trouble. I agree about the DE…we will defintely need a more solid pass rush next year. I wish Webb was the answer, but I think we could do more with him at WR than at QB…..We wasted him last season when we really needed more depth at WR, with Rice being out and Harvin’s problems with the migranes. I would love to see us go for Kolb….but I think that is unrealistic as we would have to give up too much.

61. By SUPERBOWLCHAMP15 on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Chris cook will be a pro bowl corner in the next 2 years!! you heard it here folks, not too many corners in the nfl that are 6’2, 218 pounds and can run a 4.4 40yd dash with a 11 foot broad jump, he can press and stick with the speedy recievers down field and can jump with the big physical recievers! GONNA BE A BEAST!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

62. By vikings4life on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Sooo funny some of you bloggers on here were around when around two months ago i told people on here that we would draft locker and that locker would be the best qb from this class looking back, oh was i hit with smart remarks people telling me there was no way taht we would draft locker and that he was not any good. although my view of him becoming successful has been a bit tainted i do believe we are going to draft him but unfortunatley locker would need to sit behind a good not great veteran for a year or two to really understand mechanicsa. here is my two cents on JOE WEBB he is a very viable starting option i mean you talk about the mental side of the game and in a QB it is magnified how important that is. He came is as a WR was soo good at throwing that they changed him to QB(that never happens especially because the coaches know how difficult it is to be a QB in the NFl and to have a kid switch positions cause you believe he can be successful he was the SCOUTING qb i dont think people understand the transition from being the scout team to starter in 2 weeks its a whole different job scout team you never get to be yourself alwasys trying to copy what the next weeks opponents are going to do. TJACK and Favre go down and now Joe is asked to step in and leads his team to a victory against a Eagles team who everyone at the time was saying was the best team in the NFC and Vick being the MVP of that team yet our rookie was able to controll the game be smart witht the football and dominate an eagles defense. People dont understand taht yes JOe is young and yes he will make mistakes but his athletic abilities let him extend plays twice as long as usual which gives him a chance to find a reciever or use his speed to get away. That is why he should be our starter his athletism gives a great securtiy blanket when plays break down. One thing is for sure we have not seen even close to all of JOES potential he has more upside then NEWTON AND GABBERT COMBINED NEWTON ONLY CAN LIVE UP TO THE HYPE OR BECOME A BUST JOE NEVER HAD SUCH EXPECTATIONS LIKE ONE TOM BRADY SO HIS CEILING IS THE SKY HE HAS NO WHERE TO GO BUT UP

63. By vikings4life on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

SUPERBOWL CHAMPS- I AGREE CHRIS COOK WILL BECOME A FORCE IN OUR SECONDARY HE IS FAR TO GOOD TO NOT EXCELL IN THE NFL I LOVE CEDRIC AND ANTIONE BUT WE NEED TO GET PRINCE AMUKAMURA WE WOULD HAVE TWO GREAT VETERAN CORNERS AND TWO VERY YOUNG PROMISING CORNERS HAVING A STRONG AND HEALTHY SECONDARY IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL WIN OUR DIVISION WITH THREE VERY PASS HAPPY TEAMS IN THE BEARS THE FUDGEPACKERS AND THE LIONS

64. By vikings4life on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

best part about joe is that Favre loved him and saw the greatness that Joe can become if Favre understands anything is gunslinging and gunslingers Joe has a huge arm and even faster legs Favre said no doubt Joe should be our QB and so does our team they rallied around him and he was a rookie who people thought would never even put on an NFL uniform people dont you understand these are the storries of NFL legends this kid is overlooked by everyone if you havent you must google JOE WEBBS pro day because he was better then anyone at the combine and wasnt invited he is 6’4 faster then all recievers yes even blair white, longer broad jump higher verticle he is the best athlete of the last draft goes in the 6th round and his first start takes down a giant in the NFC whose defensive is one of the most complex with their blitz schemes

65. By Daniel on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Lets strech the issue on value picks a moment. Anyone ever looked at Liebers stats last season? 30 some tackles? come on! What a huge hole! How do you have greenway at 144, E.J. at 101 and Lieber at 30 some? That is a big area of concern. Someone tell singletery to bring in Manny Lawson from SF. Good LB. I say trade mckinnie for a pick. He is still good but looked horrable last year. I think we could get atleast our third back. Pick up Anthony Castonzo, LT out of Boston. Trade Berrian for a coke and a smile, What ever, just get him out of here. then get a Stud DE, or DT. We have got to get faster up front and more solid. If we got a superstar choice for DE in 12, pick the guy. then Get a Tackle in two. I know not drafting a QB this year may seem wrong, because EVERYONE is like..”grab a QB! Grab A QB!” Just wait! look at next years crop. Build for the long haul. We need to stop patching things up like our roof. Get Luck or the guy out of USC. those two are Franchize QBs. NOT anyone this year. IT STARTS UP FRONT! If we strengthen these two areas, our secondary will be better, and our Passing will be better. Peterson will have more room and for the love of all things Get rid of Lieber, Berrian, and Herrara. This year must be built from a solid foundation. Our new staff is looking good so far. Keep up the good work Fraiser!

66. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Rep. Mindy Greiling, DFL-Roseville, agreed. “[I'm] irate. That Twins stadium never would have passed if it had a referendum.” The Vikings stadium would be sure not to pass, she said, “because that’s not even as popular as the Twins stadium.”

The bill would have the Vikings pay $1 for every $2 paid by state and local taxpayers for the project. The state’s contribution, up to $300 million, would come from naming rights revenue and a buffet of user taxes, including a sports memorabilia tax, a pro football player income tax surcharge and a Vikings lottery game. Local governments could levy a sales tax of up to a half cent, as well as separate entertainment, lodging, liquor, food and beverage taxes.

The proposal does not designate a location, although two sites in Minneapolis and one in Ramsey County’s Arden Hills have been mentioned prominently. The plan also does not put a price tag on the project, although past estimates have put a new stadium at just under $900 million

67. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

The bill would also impose a 10 percent tax on the income football players receive from playing at the stadium. The tax applies to players from the Vikings and opposing teams who make at least $250,000 a year.

68. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

The bill also states that Minnesota would retain the right to the team “name, logo, colors, history, playing records, trophies, and memorabilia” if the Vikings franchise was dissolved or relocated.

The bill would also require the authority “to strive to build a stadium that is environmentally and energy efficient, and will make an effort to build a stadium that is eligible to receive the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for environmental design.”

It also states that “to the extent practicable,” the authority “will strive to make the stadium design architecturally significant,” and that smoking would not be permitted in the stadium.

69. By Saynotojoewebb on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Joe webb is not the franchise qb we are looking for he has accuracy issues overthrows the ball occasionally. Webb is an upgrade over tj but a decent backup qb at best in the nfl. The reason people are thinking webb is good is because its an illusion because we were losing the games webb played he didn’t feel the pressure of winning or losing. I don’t think webb can carry this team on his back through a full season with a head full of pressure, there’s a difference if you are playing for nothing rather playing for something, yes he was playing for a job but still I don’t think he can manage pressure and make big plays to earn victory. Webb has crazy legs and that’s the only thing positive the throws he makes is nothing special and that we can’t replace. I believe in drafting a qb and he can compete with webb but as far as right now I am not sold on webb. We need a qb with heart and fiery passion and well composed. I believe we will find the right qb in this years draft. The coaching staff has to instill the philosophy on a qb to have fun out on the field and make big plays do what you have to do play loose and not handcuff the qb. rodgers and favre show that in there game you never see them panic.

70. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Have to go, God bless you all.

71. By Titus on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Get Kolb!

72. By Stoney on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Will someone please tell me why Kolb. He was a 2nd rd draft pick(36) in 2007, 60%completion, 73 QB rating, 11Td’s/14INT. The vikes would probably have to give at least a 1sr rd pick, prob. more. My choice I’d stick w/Webb over Kolb.

73. By vikings4life on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

NO to Kolb would rather draft a qb and am not a big fan of that either, I just believe there is no negative to start Joe webb if he succeeds great because i mean when you think that this kid wasnt even preparing to be a quaterback all year last year he was learning route running and catching, and still did much better then Tavaris, now with a whole offseason and preseason to just stricktley concentrading on qb he will be far more advanced then last year and last year he was the best qb on our roster he was 1-1 tjack was 0-1 favre was 5-8 so honestly and if Joe does not develope then next year we will get a chance to have andrew luck who is much better then anyone in this class

74. By chris on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

2005 draft was a travesty its been better since i still cant forget when they loyterd 1 year and kc jumped there pick cause we couldnt get to the podeum on time lol

75. By Frederick Jones on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

I had a comment about the quarterback position, but I will save it because there is something more important going on in Vikings.com

See my next post :)

76. By Frederick Jones on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Many bloggers just write ONE run-on sentence.

There is no punctuation, or breaks of any kind.

It’s okay to do that lol.

BUT WHO WANTS TO READ IT?

DON’T YOU WANT TO BE READ? :)

77. By BazookaJoe on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Webb will be the man, you’ll all see. ist pick needs to be OL we need to do a better job protecting the QB no matter who it is and open holes for AP. and i think they should trade out of the first round for more picks. there are alot of needs but QB isnt one of them. we have Bazooka Joe, he can throw and run. watch out NFC north the vikings are rapeing and pillaging again. SKOL vikes

78. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Tara Bannow, Associated Press Writer, On Thursday March 31, 2011, 11:14 am EDT
    MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota Vikings official stressed the various ways in which the team gives back to the state as he debated other experts Wednesday about whether public funding should be used to build a new stadium for the NFL team.

Jeff Anderson, the Vikings’ assistant director of public affairs, said the team provides revenue, jobs and public service during the debate at the University of Minnesota. The team wants taxpayers to help pay for a new stadium to replace the 29-year-old Metrodome, which Vikings executives say is not profitable enough compared to other NFL facilities.

However, Art Rolnick, former Minneapolis Federal Reserve research director, rejected Anderson’s assertions that the Vikings create more jobs, participate in more civic engagement and generate more tax revenue. He said the team is no different in those respects than other successful Minnesota companies, such as General Mills or 3M, and should be treated as such.

“If you can’t fund your business, if you can’t get your customers to pay the price for your services, you go out of business,” Rolnick said.

79. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Lester Bagley, the Vikings’ vice president for stadium affairs, called the bill’s elements “a framework to negotiate a deal.”

Potential local partners have been scarce so far. Only the Ramsey County Board has worked to woo the team, offering a former Army ammunition plant in a suburb north of St. Paul as a potential site.

Vikings officials have expressed interest but said they prefer the current Metrodome site on the east side of downtown Minneapolis as the most convenient and cost-effective
    Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak said Friday he was pleased to see progress and that he hopes to be in on conversations with the team and lawmakers. But he noted he would not support any proposal that adds additional tax burden only to Minneapolis and surrounding Hennepin County, where taxpayers in recent years have borne the brunt of the construction cost of the Minnesota Twins’ home at Target Field and other major public venues

80. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Will greed stop the Vikings new stadium? Is it greed by the vikings to ask for a new stadium? What U Say?

81. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

“While resolving the stadium issue is of secondary importance [to the budget battle], the matter has some urgency” say the bill’s two authors, Sen. Julie Rosen (R-Fairmont) and Rep. Morrie Lanning (R-Moorhead) in a statement. The Vikings’ 30-year lease on the Metrodome ends at the end of this coming season, and the team’s owners want a new stadium — or else.

The bill will be introduced next week. It doesn’t address potential sites, but here are its major points.

The stadium must have a roof to ensure it’s a year-round, multi-purpose facility.

Those who benefit from the stadium will be expected to help pay for the stadium.

The Vikings to make a significant contribution and sign a long-term lease.

The finance package would be developed at the local level, with revenues from hospitality, sales and admissions taxes.

The state has only limited involvement, and avoids increases in statewide income or sales taxes. Use of General Fund revenues is off the table.

The vikings official response:

“The Vikings look forward to beginning the public dialogue on this issue,” said Lester Bagley, Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development. “The bill provides a framework to negotiate a deal that will resolve the stadium issue, and we appreciate State leaders’ efforts to bring this forward.”

82. By DRS on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Have to go, see U.

83. By Titus on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

I think Kolb may be a good acquisition. Webb will not take us to the promised land– not for a while, anyway. The kid shows signs of greatness and signs of immaturity. Bring on a proven QB.

84. By Parody on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

But Kolb is not a proven QB. I don’t think the Eagles were ever fully confident in his abilities. Let’s not forget that they had McNabb and Kolb on the roster, and even then stepped out and signed Michael Vick while his eyes were still adjusting to the bright light of freedom!

They made Kolb the starter for the year, but until he got injured, his ratios of sacks, QB Rating, interceptions and touchdowns had all gotten worse from the previous year. Meanwhile Vick stepped in with the same offense and became a lead candidate for offensive MVP. That all tells me that Kolb is not nearly worth the asking price, at least not with what we’ve seen so far. There’s just too many unanswered questions. Right now, we’re better off taking our chances with Webb and/or a 2011 draft pick.

85. By dw on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

Im not writing chris cook off. he had a great camp and was doing great until injury. the times he got burned were after the injury. he played tight before that barring some rookie mistakes.

86. By dw on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

i would like to see either kaepernick or mallet. both appear to have strong arms. kaepernick can scramble too. so my qb selections are kaepernick, mallet, or either ponder or dalton as my third pick. dont touch locker.

87. By dw on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

i like webb. if you cant say he is a franchise qb because of what…… 3 games…. you certainly can’t go the otherway. sure there were some throws not quite on the mark….. all season long he didn’t practice with the first string guys until right at the end of the season……. timing guys….. it’s all about timing… he still made some great throws. threading the needle between two defenders at mid field …… when it counted….. it kept the drive going. people who criticize others especially when they havent had the time in with the first string or just for the simple fact they only have three games under their belt….. should be a bit more patient. Webb is big and has a good arm…. and his completion percentage, if im not wrong was over 60%. give the guy a chance. im glad the coaches are.

88. By Shawn on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

KOLB IS NOT I REPEAT NOT NOT NOT NOT PROVEN !!!!!

We need our first round pick. I like Joe Webb better than the idea of a first rounder for Kolb.

I could accept a 2nd rounder for Kolb …. NOTHING MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.McNabb and C.Palmer may become available, and Mallet is falling in the draft so I REPEAT NOOOOOOOOO KEVIN KOLB !!!!!!!!!!!

89. By Shawn on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

@DRS … If the Vikings dont get a stadium there is no one to blame but the state of Minnesota and its leaders. Minnesota has a track record of not getting the job done … North Stars and Lakers, almost the Twins and now they are close to blowing it with the Vikings.

I dont want to start a political debate but … look who is running Minnesota and it should be obvious.

90. By Parody on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Some more promising statistics about Kolb – In his first 2-years he didn’t throw (or run) for a single touchdown, but gave up 4-ints. It wasn’t until Kolb’s 8th game of his career that he threw his first touchdown, but he added 3 more ints to the mix as well to make his TD/INT total at 2/6. Meanwhile in his first two-years Kolb’s QB rating was hovering just over 20. Sure, he’s improved a bit since then, but let’s compare his competition to date:

In 5 appearances in his first year, Joe Webb has a rating of 60.9. Sure, he’s thrown 3-ints without a TD, but don’t forget that he’s run in two TDs as a QB, which puts him leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. If those had been passing TDs, they’d bring his rating up another 8-points.

Is Kolb better? For the time being he’s probably a little bit better, yes. But Joe’s already off to a much better start than Kolb, and if we give him some patience, he has all the physical qualities to improve much faster than the Eagle was able to.

91. By Daniel on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Good grief Vikings.com. Start a new blog!

92. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

no Daniel …. tell us how much you hate Kevin Kolb

93. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Or what do you think about Minesota only having 8 months left to get a deal done …

94. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

cARSON pALMER?

95. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Howard Stern?

Randy Moss?

96. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

BA Bah Booey !!!!

97. By Shawn on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

BTW BBM !!!

84 Life !!!

Bring back Moss !!!

98. By Daniel on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

I agree Shawn, Bring back Moss! Love the guy. I would be ticked too if I poured my guts out to childress about New England and gave a solid plan to him how to attack them and childress waffles and shoots the moon in his face. I hope Moss will retire here. Still gas in the tank for Moss. I respect the guy as much as a defence does. Great player. No corn on the Kolb please. that is not a long Haul answer. Neither is Locker (Brady Quinn) or Mallet, (Byron leftwitch.) What we need is some Luck! or the guy out of USC! Think about it for a moment guys. one of the major problems with a QB this year besides who they are, is the short amount of time we have to get everyone up to speed. New coaches, new plays, new cordinators. I think we have the right coaches who have alot of experiance and that is an advantage though this process. We need a smart vet this year and next. Pick up a QB next year to learn and adjust while under a guy like mcnabb, or orton, or bulger, or hasslebeck. A good above avg QB with experiance. I really could see drafting if it was Gabbert or even newton, but the rest is just back ups. Webb is better than those guys. He is not a T-jack for sure. Our QB selection must be a solid prospect. Not a risk. Man I hope the Vikes do not go after a back up. We can still trade right now and the first one we should trade is Mckinnie. I bet we could get our third back! Who would we replace him with? The perfect Guy is Anthony Castonzo out of Boston. This Guy is 6-7 and out of his last 600 some snaps, gave up ONE SACK! Great run blocker and is ranked as good as Joe Thomas. Thomas is a big time pro bowler his first two seasons. Mckinnie is on the decline but there is still value for a pick. Use our # 12 on him. That is an awsome long haul answer. Starts up front. trade Berrian for anything. Trade for a hole patch kit for our roof! anything, just let him go!!!! And Lieber! someone, anyone, tell me why we have this guy still? how do you have Greenway at 144, E.J. at 101 and, Get this, Lieber at 30 some Tackles last year? Singletery, GO GET MANNY LAWSON! Good LB.

99. By geiber on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

How can you not be impressed with Gerhart, if you were to give him the playing time as peterson then you would be impressed but when you lpay him on 3rd downs or such and he doesnt get much playing time his mistakes are going to stand out being he hasnt had any chance to show off his capabilities. He showed his capabilites the game peterson was out and gove 70+ yds. Not to bad for his first ever full game playing most downs. We need to keep him Gerhart can do it. Draft Jake Locker…

100. By geiber on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

What we need to do is to hire Favre back as a QB coach, can you say superbowl. Or even get him out of retirement to play haha. j/k

101. By geiber on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

We need a white quaterback! I’m sorry for saying this but being there onlys been 1 black qb to win a superbowl they just dont seem to be great tat that position. But they kick out butts in every other position.

102. By Titus on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

GEIBER– we need a skilled, good quarterback. If you need to add white to that equation to ensure success, there is only one word for your evaluation. Starts with an R.

103. By James on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

This is not black or white(i’m a white farm boy),so with that….go Joe Webb he’s great and can help the vikes now who in this draft at QB can you say that about.We have run blocking OT so why ot Castonzo a run blocker (smith maybe)no great left tackles this year.But hows this years ratings of DL players.So why waste #12 with OL and not get a BPA and fill a team need at #12. The vikings need to hit with their 1st. & 2nd. rds and have a good free agent pick up and they could win the north.GB had a good post season,c.bears beat seahawk(7/9last year)then flopped and how did the kiddie/cats do…..SO GO JOE

104. By Parody on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – Is it Rambling? How about Redheaded? No, that doesn’t make any sense. Republican? No, that doesn’t make any sense either…well maybe a little. unRuly? Or does that not count because it starts with “un”? Maybe Reefer-ish, wait, that’s not a word… What about Retärded? No…maybe Repulsive or Repugnant? That sounds close…I know I’ll figure it out…

105. By James on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

lol Parody, another day goes by and another blog goes by.You are right,you,me and everyone else will figure it out but lets keep going cuz its fun to do.(these blogs)

106. By Frederick Jones on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel,

You have good things to say. I know I have even commented on them.

However, your last blog is one sentence containing about 200 words !

I wonder how many of us will read that type of blog?

You don’t have to use punctuation, or even spell words correctly, but put some lines between your comments.

Otherwise they probably will not get read.

107. By Titus on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Fred– might I add the posts in all caps also are not read– the eye needs the differentiation of upper and lower case letters which adds white space and readability to any text longer than a headline. I skip over an all caps post– cannot put my eyes through that torture.

108. By Parody on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

So how much are we charging for this English course, seing as it’s being led by three respectable instructors on the topic?

109. By Joe C on Apr 9, 2011 | Reply

You are sniffing glue if you think Chris Cook will improve never mind become a Pro bowl anything. The guy was and always will be horrible. The only thing the Vikings can hope for is that Griffin comes back healthy. without Cedric the Vikings secondary turned into a quarterbacks best friend. Frank Walker – Leto Sheppard and Antoine Winfield had no hope of covering anyone. We need help and we need it now!!!

110. By Clinton Jones on Apr 10, 2011 | Reply

I like Joe Webbs upside, as a guy to get behind. He seemed way more natural, elusive and able to think on his feet than T Jack. I like all that speed out there and I like the guys confidence. Draft another rookie to compete at the best value.. It’s very simple: First get a 1st down, then get a touch down. We don’t have all year to wait. Who ever can do it is the starter. T-Jack couldn’t do it.I would go for best available WR, and C , positions where there is nothing. Not DE, you’ve got 2 prospects;Robison and the USC guy As far as Toby goes, if the vikings use him like they did at Stanford and he plays his game, like he did in college, like Percy and Adrien do,,,he’ll be an excellent weapon. He already showed signs. And, get rid of those stupid easter egg purple new uniforms and go STRICTLY THROWBACKS. . Come on, already. It’s as bad as the Rams. .

111. By rino on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

vikings will pick the qb of the future jake locker or andy dalton but not with the 12th pick I see them trading down to the 19-25 pick aquiring more picks they will use all thier picks to adress thier needs

112. By rino on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I like dalton he will be a great fit with the vikings smart kid a winning not alot of people thing he good enough to be a stater but they are wrong and dalton will prove them wrong as he has done in the past.

113. By Josh on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Chris Cook is not a bust, its to early to tell. Hes had one year and had injury problems. The time he was in he played pretty decent. I think some of the safetys and CBs from last years draft gave the wrong idea on rookie DBs. You cant expect every rookie to come in and make the pro bowl his first season. Give him a few more years, he has the potential to be great. As for this year, we need to address other needs early and worry about the QB later, and find a veteran. QB is not a stong point in this draft.

114. By dog joint pain on May 13, 2011 | Reply

It is usually difficult to find a solution to dog problems with so much on the net today. Thanks for giving me some decent info.

2. Apr 5, 2011: Vikings Grade Well In 5-Year Study Of NFL Drafts | Vikings Stop Blog