Digging Deeper On Locker Accuracy Concerns

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 31, 2011 – 9:59 am

Jake Locker is a name linked to the Vikings frequently in draft speculation. The Vikings as an organization have not expressed more interest in Locker than they have any other QB prospects, but football fans and observers tie Locker to the Vikings because of the perceived need at the position and because Locker is expected to still be on the board when the Vikings are scheduled to pick at #12.

Perhaps more common, though, than Locker being linked to the Vikings is Locker being criticized for his lack of accuracy in college, and even his won-loss record (15-25). But is that criticism fair?

I took a closer look at these 2 criticisms, but the analysis was too long to put here on the blog. Check it out by clicking here, and then let us know what you think by either posting a comment below the article and/or by coming back to this blog entry and posting a comment.

39 Responses to “Digging Deeper On Locker Accuracy Concerns”

1. By Vic on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Locker’s accuracy issues aren’t as big of an issue as people think. He’s a great QB that has heart and love for the game, plus a good arm mixed with good footwork. He’s a great fit for the Vikings. Draft him and build the team around him. He won’t disappoint.

2. By Parody on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

If we’re going QB in the first round, Locker sounds like the best choice. When I saw him in interviews, he had a charisma to him that assured me that he’s a natural leader whom players will get behind.

I just hope that if we go with Locker, we’ll be patient in the draft and trade back. I’ve read that no teams drafting before the Seahawks at #25 will be interested in Locker in the first round, which leaves plenty of room to add value to the draft before selecting the franchise QB.

3. By Frederick Jones on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I might draft Locker, but definitely not 12th in the draft.

We have so many other needs:

1) Offensive Line (Don’t be fooled by the Radio, TV, or the Magazines this is the Vikings # weakness. Sacks were up, Rushing stats were down)

2) Defensive Backs (Our current dbs couldn’t cover your grandmother!)

3) Depth (Check our special team statistics for 2010! This is a need baby !)

4. By Itsfranchiseqbtime on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I have a feeling ponder will be in a vikes uniform not too thrilled with his weak arm we don’t need another brad johnson game manager type. Mallett should do well if the vikings decide to draft him we have a lot of weapons the only way he will be a bust is if he just chooses not to learn and doesn’t want to play. A good qb coach will straighten him out.

5. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Locker is awesome when rolling out. Less so when in the pocket. He need work and lots of it. Trade down to pick up some extra picks. (chargers or patriots)

6. By Carl K on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

If Locker is our guy, we need to pick him at #12. Why trade back and give the Seahawks or any other team a shot at trading up to get him. If Locker’s accuracy is not a problem… Washington could take him before the Vikings get a chance.

On the other hand if the Vikings like Ponder and Dalton too, they can roll the dice and trade back.

7. By Dave the vike fan on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

IMO- I wouldn’t mind seeing locker in purple :0)

Skol vikes!

8. By ghost on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I would like a trade with the Pats for the 28 and 33 picks. I think value wise Vikes might have to swap the 43 and Pats other 2nd rounder. We would get better value on a QB we draft and could use the 33rd pick as trade bait for a 1st rounder for 2012 and try and get Luck from Stanford.

28 – Phil Taylor – DT
    33 – Bruce Carter – OLB – might get decent offers for this pick – Like 1st in 2012 and a 3rd this year?
    60? – Andy Dalton – QB

9. By Nick on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

If we are gonna go for a QB early we sholud go for Mallet over Locker. Superior arm strength and pocket presence – what a backfield him and AP could provide!

10. By animal26 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have very few weapons on offense. Sidney rice will probably be gone, which only leaves us with harvin and shancio as people who can catch the ball, along with AP and Gerhart.

11. By animal26 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones don’t forget to add Receivers to that list. Since rice will probably be gone, they will only have harvin left.

12. By Parody on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Nick – Mallett is too much of a gamble due to his personality. He may have the best physical traits, but those aren’t going to be worth much if he can’t lead the team or make sound decisions. Having seen him perform poorly in interviews, and throw ill-advised pásses in clutch time (leading to interceptions on more than one occasion) I don’t think that he has the right personality to take over at QB. I remember that one big complaint about TJack was in how often he caved under pressure, and I see Mallett to have a very similar flaw.

13. By Parody on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Animal – I don’t share your pessimism about Rice. I think the team will be very aggressive in trying to give him a new contract once the CBA is worked out. Even if it doesn’t work out, Harvin won’t be the lone man left. We just brought in the best receiver from the CFL, who is young and no doubt wants to prove that he can make a showing in the NFL as well. Camarillo was a great posession receiver in Florida, and with a better team of coaches and a year with the team, I’m sure that his production is due to increase this year. Also, I know everybody is going to laugh at me for this, but let’s not write Berrian off just yet. Two years ago he did pretty decently as our #1 WR when we won the division with TJack and Frerrotte chucking the ball. He just might have something to prove now to all the doubters that have arisen in his past two sub-par years.

14. By xvike on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I think that locker would be a good pick for mn at 12. Unless the team feels he’s not the one, then i would take the best player available. I would have to say that locker is probably the toughest qb of all of them in this draft. He played with a broken rib almost through half of last year, had a horrible oline, and didn’t really have any good receivers. Its like he was under pressure all the time and he was still able to perform at a high level with the exception of a few games where he played very poorly. I like his leadership traits and the confidence that he has in himself. He does seem like a very hard worker also. Even though mallet does have a very good arm, if u watch some of his games, he had all the time in the world to throw the ball. I rarely saw him take off with the ball and when he did, he didnt get very far. With the oline that the vikings have, mallet would not make it past the first half of the season. Not to mention his character issues. If i were to choose either mallet or locker, i’d take locker.

15. By Frederick Jones on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

Berrian was injured a lot last year. I think you are right, he could have a good year again.

I also agree with you about Sidney Rice.

Why would the Vikings lose Rice? Unless he makes unreasonable demands, I see him back in a Vikings uniform.

16. By vikesrule on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

This is why we need Favre back this year.

17. By James on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Why spend a pick on a QB and end up with another bench wormer.Webb has playing time Bomar was drafted by the giants and needs time, so why put another in a pos. to sit and learn.Bring in someone via free agency and build both sides of the ball.With a rookie sal.cap and getting a 2012 1strd. pick with a trade down does sound good but take what your board shows you. OT/DT makes it more worth a trade down both go deep into the 3rd rnd.

18. By Titus on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I am not big on Locker, but who knows.

19. By Shawn on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@Titus .. im with ya there

In Frazier We Trust … so if he has done enough homework and picks Locker , he will either be a genius or fired in a couple years

From what I know and have seen , and I have seen Locker play and I wouldnt draft him befor the 5th round

20. By James on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

We know that jwebb can roll out and also run good so Locker does not make any #12 pick,maybe 3rd rd. A def. minded coach needs his def. player first Ot in second or third(if trade is made)or let the one year wonder- inj. prone Rice go in a trade if cba is fix and get J.Jones who would fit better than Rice who seem to be the next T.Owens in the wine dept.Do the vikes have a wine dept.

21. By animal26 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Parody, the reason I say he will leave is for the simple fact other teams will give him more money, then the Vikings will probably offer him and the fact we don’t have a proven QB who can get him the ball. I really hope I’m wrong, but there just isn’t much here, that tells me the Vikes will retain him.

22. By animal26 on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

also, that CFL receiver you mentioned. I have no clue about his game, so I cant really give an opinion on him. Berrian is washed up, Camarillo isn’t really all that good.

23. By paul on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Take your #12 pick in the first round and turn it into a least a #2, #3, #5 and #7 round pick.

Lots of holes to fill on both sides of the football..

24. By Titus on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to argue with Parody, he is pretty smart. But I see the opposite as far as Locker in the interviews– I do not see charisma, rather I see an unsure kid that is ready to trip over his words at any moment. But I know people can easily be misjudged and Locker may be great one day– who knows. For now, I don’t see a leader.

25. By Titus on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred Jones– I watched Gran Torino the other day– Clint did not lose– everything went to plan– except for the movie audience who expected a great, make my day finish. It was a let down, but at least the ending had impact and was unforeseen. Overall, I was a bit disappointed in the movie– 2.5 out of 4 stars is my rating.

26. By Aceviking on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Pat Devlin is the QB from Delaware who I believe led the nation in completion percentage. He also has a huge arm, no maturity issues, and he is a supposed great leader. Why aren’t more people talking about this guy? The Vikings need him!!!

27. By Titus on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Aceviking, you may be on to something, or someone, I should say. I don’t know much about Devlin, but he seems like he could be very good. Good size, good accuracy, smart– finance major– hmm.

28. By Titus on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, thanks, I was beginning to think I was the only one questioning Locker.

29. By James on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is only good west coast QB that could poo. start this year(Mayock video)in this years draft.Would it make for a good thing if vikes trade some of next years pick for this guy and still get both DE & OL this year or am i dreaming for a good draft from speillllllllman

30. By Parody on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus – Thanks for the praise, but I very well could be wrong. Truth is that I hardly pay any attention to College ball. I’ve watched 3-games this year, which I think is an all-time high for me. I never saw Locker play, so I can only go off of what I read about his abilities. I was just impressed by what I saw from him when I watched interviews.

31. By PAUL M. on Mar 31, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE VIKINGS FRONT OFFICE: DO NOT DRAFT LOCKER!! HE’S TOO RISKY A PROJECT FOR SUCH A VALUABLE PICK, AND I WANT US TO STRIKE GOLD AT #12 !!!

EITHER TRADE UP IN THE DRAFT FOR GABBERT, OR DRAFT A BLUE CHIP VERSATILE O-LINEMAN, OR POSSIBLY, JULIO JONES OR PRINCE AMUKAMARA. THESE OUR OUR 3 IMMEDIATE GAPING NEEDS !

IN TODAY’S NFL, TEAMS WILL BE LINING UP WITH 4 OR 5 RECEIVERS & SPREADING OUT AGAINST US, ALA GREEN BAY & MARTZ — WE NEED CB’s. I LOVE PERCY & “SHANK”, BUT IF SIDNEY GOES WHO OUT THERE ACTUALLY HAS FAITH IN THE ELITE RECEIVING ABILITIES OF HANK BASKET OR BERRIAN? DITTO FOR OUR O-LINE WHICH ALMOST SENT BRETT TO THE MORGUE LAST YEAR!

THEN GO FOR PONDER IN ROUND 2 — OR THE HIGHEST RATED PLAYER ON THE BOARD.

IT MAY JUST PROVE TO BE A BLESSING IN DISGUISE FOR US IF THERE ARE NO FREE AGENCY SIGNINGS BEFORE THE DRAFT. THOSE FREE AGENTS MAY LOSE A LOT OF VALUE BECAUSE MANY TEAMS WERE FORCED TO DRAFT THOSE POSITIONS, WHICH SHOULD LEAVE MANY VERY GOOD FREE AGENTS AGGRESSIVELY COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER FOR A TEAM.

32. By Daniel on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I think Madden said it best when he said “It starts up fornt.” Trent green had a interseting take on “Should we take a QB in the first or even 2nd round and the answer was no, and the reason being is that we are the oldest team in the NFL. By the time our QB is developed and ready, those guys will be moving on. A good solid vetran fre agent that could come in and lead till we adress the line issues would be best for us. That said, our first two pick should and needs to be at Tackle, Guard, DT, DE. The best available player at those positions at one and two should be our greatest concern. The Tackle no body is talking about who is the best Tackle in the draft and should be a top Five pick who we could get easly to replace mckinnie is the guy out of Boston. He could be a BIG upgrade and start instantly for years! Kyle orton would be a nice pick up. Good leader, number 15 in the Nfl last year in stats, and above average, young and ready to go. No QB, PLEASE Vikings! not this year. lets fix up front first and get our d line into the purple people eaters again.

33. By Rogerthevikefan on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I said earlier that Devlin would likely be the best qb in the draft. Likely 3rd to 4th rounder but 1st round talent. Wr could be big guys like Terrance Tolliver from Lsu or Kris Durham from Georgia. Te Jordan Cameron from Usc could really develop. In the first maybe pick Ot Tyron Smith from Usc or Ot Anthony Castonzo from Boston College. If they go Dline pick either De Cameron Jordan son of the greatest Viking Te Steven Jordan or De/Dt J. J. Watt would be a good replacement for Pat.

34. By Titus on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

Well, in the end it is a bit like throwing dice– thankfully Frazier and company have probably a lot more information and time to study the draft than any of us. Regardless of who they pick, let’s support the choices.

35. By James on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

It sound good that most feel the vikings need to fix there lines and Paul M. is right at #12 WR. Jones or CB. P. Amukamara would fit and start asap.Bringing in a free agent QB to set up 2nd or 3rd rds to grab QB this yr. or 1st. rd next yr. would give them a chance this year to get DL.(very deep) and OL.(somewhat deep)and still get a TE. in the 4th or 5th.So does it make good if the vikings take best player at #12 and if it is J.Jones,WR. losing Rice and getting something for him does work to get LB>

36. By Daniel on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

I like spielman, glad to have the guy. He is very good at his job. These two picks need to make a differance. look at our drafted starters over the years. This is the year that Fraiser wants to get younger, and QB should not be at all our first or second option. KC has done a outstanding job getting younger and getting a above average QB (bearly above average). The teams that do well in NFC or AFC, are good all the way around. our line is old, our D-line is old. QB for the future can not be our first option and I will say it as often as I can because all the hype and word of locker, and mallett, and devlin, and so on and so on, IS RISKY! First rule of business: nothing risky. What is safe is a proven above average QB. through free agency, and our first two picks on o-line. Yes we need a young QB but not yet. Anthony Castonzo is a awsome Tackle. Pouncy is an awsome guard. What ever we do I hope they do NOT go after one of these guy from a WEAK QB class.

37. By Woodboat on Apr 2, 2011 | Reply

At last, there are a few of you making sense :) I wouldn’t take a QB above the 4th rd this year with the state of our team in mind. An OT is a must. I can’t see taking a DL over a DB for this team… makes no sense whatsoever. Our Line isn’t the best, but our DBS are atrocious. The best D Line in the league isn’t going to do squat with our DBs playing 5yds off the receivers. I HOPE we concentrate on OL, DBs, and DL in that order. If everyone believes that Luck is the next big thing, trade away the farm for him next year.

38. By rick from pa. on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

it is what it is locker is a loser .you cant teach accuracy. won loss give me a brake babbert is the only qb even close and thats notsaying much qbs in this draft are a joke if they take locker and pair him fat mouth ad that will give him someone to cry to while they continue to slip in div. a 50 yr. fan i think someone needs to see talent maybe greenbay can help them draft.

2. Mar 31, 2011: Digging Deeper On Locker Accuracy Concerns | Vikings Stop Blog