Correction To Compensatory Pick Question In Mailbag

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 22, 2011 – 6:15 am

I wanted to take a quick moment this morning to issue a correction to an answer in this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag. In the first question of this week’s MMM, Gideon asked a two-part question that dealt with the draft and, specifically, the compensatory selections the Vikings would receive in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I explained that we didn’t know the status of the Vikings compensatory selections because teams are awarded those selections based off of the results of free agency. And since free agency was delayed due to the Collective Bargaining Agreement impasse, we don’t have a way of knowing how many compensatory picks will be awarded to the Vikings.

The answer was partially true, but also partially inaccurate.

On Monday afternoon I noticed a tweet from Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com that indicated the inaccuracy in the answer. Reiss tweeted that the NFL typically awards compensatory selections during the March owners’ meetings but that early word this year is the picks will be announced at a later date. To further confirm the inaccuracy in the Mailbag, I received a note from a reader pointing out that the compensatory selections are indeed based off of free agency movement but that it’s the free agency movement from the previous year.

Adam Warwas is the reader who pointed this out to me. He said in an email: “The Vikings are expected to get two picks (no better than 5th-rounders) for losing OL Artis Hicks and RB Chester Taylor while being quiet in free agency themselves. Again, these picks are based off of 2010′s free agency movement, and are expected to be awarded next week. The CBA unrest only has comp pick ramifications moving forward beyond this upcoming draft.”

After doing some research (research I should’ve done on Monday before answering the question!), I quickly realized that Adam is spot on. I also checked out Adam’s blog – www.vikingsgab.com – and he has some good stuff on there. I encourage readers of this blog to pay him a visit at his site as well.

More on compensatory picks
– Under terms of the CBA, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of 4.

– Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round (after the other compensatory picks).

– The compensatory choices supplement the selections in the 7 rounds of the draft, and the compensatory selections are added to rounds 3-7.

– Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player’s salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula, which the NFL Management Council developed.

– If fewer than 32 compensatory picks are awarded, the balance of picks is awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical 8th round of the draft (these are known as “supplemental compensatory selections”).

31 Responses to “Correction To Compensatory Pick Question In Mailbag”

1. By Aceviking on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

They just need to figure out a new CBA so the fans can have football. They wouldn’t have any of this money anyway if it wasn’t for is… right?

2. By Aceviking on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

correction….. us

3. By Vikings4life on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

With the 12th overall pick in the nfl draft the Vikings select…………… OT Tyron smith out of the university of california. As far as qb’s goes I have no clue w ho they will target so it will be interesting nobody stands out much this is a tough call.

4. By Mark B on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Just my $0.02 on the quarterbacks in this years draft. I’ll say first and foremost that I’m not sold on ANY of them. That being said, all of the names being thrown around have upside, whether it is arm strength, athleticism or the ability to make all the throws – which brings us to the downside.
    ALL of them have downsides – and for most I don’t think they have proven they can be worked on or overcome. Locker’s accuracy issues, Mallet’s decision making, etc. Cam Newton could be the next big thing or he could be the next Matt Leinhart (highly recruited and drafted but amount to nothing) or Vince Young (have a few good seasons until teams figure out that he isn’t a pocket passer and force him to try to become one and watch the ensuing meltdown). About the only QB I would take a chance on – and I would start him right away especially in a run first offense – is Dalton. Great touch on a pocket passer and a proven winner with minimal downside (arm strength) – and best of all he could be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round potentially allowing the Vikes to take the BPA in the first round.

5. By Chaz on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

I need to admit first that I will be excited about anyone the Viking’s draft. Knowing what will be available I would be happy with Mallet, Locker and especially Dalton if we could get him in the second round. All of them make me nervous and have flaws. Dalton is the most accurate, people talk about his arm strength but we play in a dome.. no wind

6. By Parody on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Arm strength doesn’t have a whole lot do with wind factors. A QB with a weaker arm is not going to be able to throw a deep ball on any field. This makes the field that defenses need to protect become smaller. Also, a weaker arm means that the ball will be thrown with less velocity on the shorter routes, giving defenders more time to move in the way and deflect or intercept an otherwise perfectly thrown pass. So less arm strength arguably requires more accuracy and more football inteligence for a QB to be as successful as someone who isn’t a stranger to the weight room.

7. By Titus on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

It’s irrelevant that we are in a dome— you cannot win the big game if you cannot win at least half your games on the road– and if you do not– well, then your playoff games are on the road.

8. By Frederick Jones on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Someone said we should bring Culpepper back.

I’m not against giving him a tryout.

At 6-4 and 285 he may be an easy target, however.

9. By Frederick Jones on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Friends,

I realize many of you are against both sides in the CBA thing.

There is a great article @ Zoneblitz.com by TJ “The Dude” Johnson.

He gives a great argument against the owners. I would strongly suggest reading it! ! !

10. By Michael on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

For QB, only guy i’d draft at 12 is Newton and he’s prob not falling to us. I’d take Dalton in the 2nd if there but no one else. I think the best option is to sign (or trade for) someone once the new CBA is reached. I like Hasselback is avabile or Palmer or V. Young or even Boller.. McNabb will have too high of a price tag. Hasselback would be perfect for 1 or 2 years then start Webb or (hopefully) someone else they draft. Otherwise, call up Favre. He’d play in an 8-10 game season :) (he’s still better than some of these other guys we’ve mentioned- Grossman, Hill, Kaepernick)

11. By Frederick Jones on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

@Michael,

You and I are the only ones commenting on vikings.com these past 24 hours or so.

Check out Zoneblitz.com and TJ Johnson’s article about the billionaires vs. the millionaires. This is a great article !

12. By Aceviking on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

@Michael, I would rather take Jake Locker at 12 than Cam Newton. If anyone is what I mean. I would rather take Dalton, McElroy, Stanzi, or Devlin. I think they are safer picks.

13. By Woodboat on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

There isn’t a single QB in the draft that I’d be any more excited about than I am about Webb, and that’s not saying much. I don’t think any of them outshine the kid we have already, really. If they waste our 1st rd pick on a QB, I’ll definately be b ummed out. When criticizing Dalton, folks point at his lack of arm strength. It does shorten the field some, but some of you are acting like he can’t throw more than 5 yards :). If I had to chose between inaccuracy, poor decision making, and weak arm… I’ll take a weak arm every time. An off. coord. can scheme for a weak arm… hard to scheme for innaccuracy or bad decision making and expect success.

14. By DRS on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Every one, how can there be a new CBA when there is no players union?

15. By DRS on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

What’s much more likely is that some subset of Twin Cities taxpayers, in whichever city or county a new stadium is built, will bear the biggest tax burden. And the votes to impose it are likely to come mostly from the same greater Minnesota lawmakers who don’t want to see their rural and small-town constituents taxed.

That’s how the Minnesota Twins got state funding in 2006 for what is now Target Field. Most of the “yes” votes to authorize a .015% Hennepin County sales tax increase came from lawmakers outside the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area, overwhelming the “no” votes that came from within the metro.

“It’s kind of a sucker plan for whatever community gets stuck with it,” said Sen. John Marty, a Roseville Democrat and longtime opponent of public money for stadiums. The Hennepin County Board approved the sales tax hike, but it never went to a voter referendum, as opponents wanted.

Will or, will there not be a new stadium? That is the question for Viking fans.

16. By DRS on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

have to go, God bless U-all.

17. By vikings4life on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Please dont trade up to take a qb without a doubt the worst scenario we could take, I mean we dont have a third round so what the heck would we give up to trade up from 12 our first and second round picks to get to the top 7 or 5 concidering there is NO viable top 10 qb prospect if anything id trade up to get patrick peterson he is the only one worth trading up to get conciderign we need to solidify our secondary immediatley more so then drafting a qb who isnt going to start this year

18. By Titus on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Well, five months of winter is enough!!! Maybe the Vikes should move to LA– I will move with them.

19. By Titus on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

That was a joke— I cannot leave that post hanging there for long– even as a joke, the thought of moving to LA is more than I can bear– never gonna happen!!
    NEVER!! I would rather see snow 12 months a year, than move to LA.

20. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Agree to that 100%

21. By Parody on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Careful what you wish for Titus, you just might get it! According to scandinavian mythology, there will be 3-years of winter preceding the end of the world…is this year-1? I sure thought winter was over a few weeks ago but now, who knows?

22. By Parody on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

That is, as Norse mythology describes it, Fibulwinter preceding Ragnorak, the end of the world.

23. By xvike on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

What i think is that the vikings either take a qb with the first, or they lose out on the top tier qb’s of this year’s draft. Let’s face it. The only for sure qb’s that wont make it out of the first is Gabbert and Newton. We are not the only team that is looking to take the BPA with the first and qb with the second. There’s like 4-5 teams that pick b4 us that need a qb after newton and gabbert are gone. There’s no doubt that locker, mallet will be gone by then. I’m thinking maybe stanzi or dalton will be there and if we don’t reach for them, we won’t get either because they won’t make it past the third round and thanks to chilly we don’t have one. Vikings are in a tough spot….

24. By DA KINGS on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

i think the vikings should go corner and pick prince amukamara at 12 and pick chris ponder in round 2. the secondary is in horrible condition and we will be filling 2 positions that are needed. ponder has a pretty ok arm and can make accurate throws. also he has the mobilty to extend plays and make an impact. not comparable to joe webb or mike vick but like big ben.

25. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is what any one running a West Coast style offence would love to have. To bad Prince will likely be some where in Texas by the time the Vikes pick.

26. By chris on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with michael B exactly. Dalton is the best and should be available in the second

27. By chris on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

sorry mark b

28. By James on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

By the draft Ponder will have risen up the board and he will go early in the second.Top ten teams, most need a QB and if they do not pick one up in the first rd the vikes would have to move up.Watch Ponders grade around the middle of april he will be in bottom of 1st.Tackle DL/OL first then move back into the fiirst or wait till next year for QB

29. By Aceviking on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

I think the best second round QB is Pat Devlin

30. By Nevada Viking Fan on Mar 25, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb is the answer to QB. Pickup a mid rounder QB to develop.

2. Mar 22, 2011: Correction To Compensatory Pick Question In Mailbag | Vikings Stop Blog