Singletary, Brinkley Featured On Vikings Weekly

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 17, 2011 – 10:43 am

I caught a sneak peak of this week’s edition of Vikings Weekly, which is hosted by Ann Carroll and has been moved to vikings.com for the offseason. Each week we post a new show as Ann continues to keep Vikings fans plugged in to their favorite team during the offseason.

I thought this week’s edition was worth a special note here because Ann has a great conversation with new LBs Coach Mike Singletary and then also takes a close look at what LB Jasper Brinkley is up to this offseason. We all know by now that Singletary and Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier were teammates with the Chicago Bears and won a Super Bowl together, so it was interesting to hear Singletary talk about what the opportunity to be a head coach means to Frazier and what it takes to build a Super Bowl winner.

“I think it means a lot,” Singletary said of Frazier’s opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. “He’s worked his tail off to try and put himself in a situation to be a head coach. Certainly not in this way, but being that it happened, you want to make the most of it.”

As for winning a Super Bowl, Singletary said: “I think the biggest thing is just building it. Having the time to build it. Having the personnel and getting the mentality of having guys understand what it takes to have that kind of team and the price that it takes to get it there. So it really is a mindset more than anything else and sometimes in today’s culture it just takes a little bit longer than normal to get it done.”

Singletary talks about a few other interesting topics, including what attracted him to Minnesota besides his relationship with Frazier, but I don’t want to put the quotes here because you should catch the Vikings Weekly episode.

As for Brinkley, Ann goes in-depth on his quest this offseason to accomplish a life-long goal: graduate from college. Brinkley headed back to the University of South Carolina this offseason to finish the task. He explains that he’ll be the first person in his family to earn a degree and he also discusses what he plans to do with that degree at some point down the line.

This week’s edition of Vikings Weekly will be posted first thing on Friday morning, so be sure to check it out.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Singletary, Brinkley Featured On Vikings Weekly”

1. By Frederick Jones on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Jasper Brinkley could be a Manster!!!

2. By Frederick Jones on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@Titus and Parody,

It’s true that good wrs can make a qb better and visa versa.

You guys seem to admire Bilichick so much (I don’t, for reasons that cannot be explained on the blog (lol). The Patriots always seem to have great offensive linemen and defensive backs.

This goes along with my Chuck Noll quote.

It’s hard to find those kind of guys. So I don’t want Viking fans to disregard them. (I know it’s more fun to talk about the WRs, QBs, and RBs, I do it to sometimes.)

I am afraid that Frazier is not focused on getting better offensive linemen.

3. By EBN on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I just hope Mike can keep a lid on his temper so he doesn’t become a joke to the players like he did in San Francisco! Our team already has enough drama.

4. By Titus on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE!!!! As a professional writer who writes and educates for a living, I cannot take the level of writing on vikings.com. Mike, please, during the off season, take the time to learn to write. At least the basics. I copied the first part of this article:

I caught a sneak peak of this week’s edition of Vikings Weekly

Any native English speaker with an education should not have written this.

5. By Shawn on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss …

84 Life !!!

BBM !!!

Bring Back Moss !!!

6. By Titus on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

COME HOME RANDY!!!!!!!!!!

7. By Frederick Jones on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn, Thanks for the Vikings Access address.

It doesn’t sound like Mckinnie is working too hard to lose weight.
    He rang up a huge drinking tab, and now he’s going to Africa.

Maybe he’ll do some running over there?

We had better (yes HAD BETTER) sign some Offensive Linemen. If they do nothing during the off-season we are in deep trouble ! !

8. By Titus on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I am not a big fan of Belichick– Billick, yes, not Belichick.

9. By animal26 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

sigh………. So much for McKinney working hard during this offseason. I guess I deserve the harping, by many of you, for saying he will be better next year. When the new CBA is made. The Vikings better trade him ASAP.

10. By animal26 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

deserved*

11. By Dave the vike fan on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

Sneak peek… Peek… Peek.. Lol

12. By Titus on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

That sneak “peak” piqued my interest in finding a dictionary for Mike, but then peeking into the proper usage might take Mike to new peaks that he cannot handle.

13. By James on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Vernon Davis was average till him and Singletary got in to it on the sidelines and thats when Vernon,s light come on.Singletary might bring out the best in some of our players and what better than to have a HOF player like Singletary to be around our young guys and rookies this year.I think it good for the vikings

14. By Kathy on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Singletary is a great addition to Vike’s coaching staff. He’s a class guy and provides additional leadership for the team.You can’t have too many strong leaders! I’ve always been a Singletary fan…it will be nice to have him on our team instead of an opponent’s.

15. By Frederick Jones on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

We are fortunate to have Singletary. Maybe he could come out of retirement for a game or two !

16. By Titus on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Sure, and bring McMahon on for QB.

17. By Titus on Mar 18, 2011 | Reply

Ditka could play too.

18. By vikesfan78 on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

What’s wrong with Singletary?

19. By vikelifer on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

Singletary is a pro do any doubters know what that means try all-pro,or hall of famer.How could you have any doubt that he isn’t needed on this team,his fire as a player made him a champion we need to have that fire on our team.I say let him coach those under-achieving O-linemen,they need to have a fire lit under their butts.Then maybe we’ll open some running lanes and have some time for our QB to make a play.

2. Mar 17, 2011: Singletary, Brinkley Featured On Vikings Weekly | Vikings Stop Blog