Recapping Day 4 Of Combine Action

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 27, 2011 – 3:47 pm

I’m sitting at gate A10 of the Indianapolis International Airport waiting to board my flight home and thought now is a good time to recap the exciting action of Day 4 at the Combine. Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and WRs coach George Stewart are sitting near me as well just hours after watching QBs, RBs and WRs take the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Let’s go over what they saw from the drafts offensive skill position players…

– Cam Newton is this draft class’ highest-profile player in the highest-profile football position and it looks like he’ll come away from the Combine with mixed results. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, which is tied for 3rd best among QBs with Jake Locker, but he was most impressive in the broad jump, where he registered a 10-foot, 6-inch effort. His throwing performance was apparently less impressive as he struggled at times with accuracy. As we noted earlier, though, that’s to be expected with a lot of QBs because of the unfamiliarity that exists between QBs and WRs at the Combine.

Overall, my opinion of Cam Newton as an NFL prospect hasn’t changed much since I arrived here in Indianapolis. From a physical ability standpoint and from a physique standpoint, he’s as gifted a prospect as I’ve come across. But we already knew that. His performance with the media, in throwing drills and reportedly in front of NFL teams had mixed results, which I already had a hunch would happen. So what I thought were strengths of his coming into the Combine were confirmed, but what I thought his weaknesses were coming into the Combine were also confirmed. For now, I’ll reserve judgment on him. But I’ll also say that I can already tell that at least one team in the top 10 will fall in love with him and make him their pick.

– Before we get to the other QBs who were on the field Sunday, let’s briefly touch on the WR position. The top 2 prospects at this position coming into the Combine were A.J. Green and Julio Jones, in that order. And coming out of the Combine, those 2 remain at the top of the heap. But I’m not so sure it’s a cinch that Green is ahead of Jones. I’ll leave it up to the experts to tell you which one looked better in terms of pass catching and route running, but in terms of straight-line speed Jones was significantly better. He ran a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash while Green registered a 4.5 time. And Jones registered a 38.5-inch vertical leap, while I don’t see Green’s result in that category, which means he’s either out of the top 15 at the WR position or he didn’t participate in that event.

At this point, I like Jones a bit better than Green. Although Jones is an inch shorter and I like tall receivers, Jones is also 9 pounds heavier and he tested better in: straight-line speed, leaping ability and the broad jump. In fact, Jones recorded the best broad jump number of the WR group (11 feet, 3 inches).

Here are more results from Sunday’s WR drills.

– Going back to the QB position, I want to talk about 3 more guys. The first is Ryan Mallet, who came off terribly while meeting with the media on Saturday. But for as terrible as he performed in front of the media on Saturday, it sounds like he was every bit as great on the field in front of coaches and scouts on Sunday. Reports are that his accuracy was the best seen at the Combine since earlier in the decade and we all know already that he has a strong arm.

The second name is Jake Locker. As I sit here in the airport immediately after my Combine experience, Locker is my favorite of the QBs in this year’s class. I think he’s a winner with good leadership qualities. I also like that he posted an impressive time in the 40-yard dash (4.52 seconds). It’s also been noted elsewhere that he looked good in terms of accuracy, and accuracy is the #1 knock on him coming out of college.

The third and last QB name we’ll mention for now is former Virginia Tech QB Tyrod Taylor. He’s not the type of QB that I typically gravitate toward and I guess I’m not saying that I endorse him now as an option for the Vikings, but there’s something about how he performs both in games and in a Combine-type of environment that I love. He ran a 4.51-second time in the 40-yard dash – tops among all QBs – and I like his throwing style. He was a great competitor at Virginia Tech, too.

Here are more results from the 40-yard dash for QBs.

– We’re not going to address RBs in this post but I promise we’ll discuss them later, maybe early this week.

That’s it for now from Indianapolis. I’m going to find some food before I board the plane that will bring me back home after another great experience at the NFL Scouting Combine.

84 Responses to “Recapping Day 4 Of Combine Action”

1. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Vikings, suck ass, Vikings suck ass, you suck!!!! Packers Superbowl XLV Champs!!!

2. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

LOSERS!!!! All you pathetic fans are LOSERS!!!!! Your sorry ass team should ceise to exist!!

3. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

You’ll never be good, EVER!!! NFC North bottom feeders!!! Even the Lions are gonna be better than you!!

4. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Your team sucks more than your mothers after a few drinks!!!!

5. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Why do you guys root for losers?? That team of yours will NEVER, EVER make it to the Superbowl. Why root for a team that sucks so bad?? You better off becoming lions fans. LOSERS, absolute LOSERS!!!!

6. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m takin over your blog!!! And there’s nothin you can do about it, little sissies!! You can ignore me, but I’ll still be here buggin you losers. And I bet all the female fans in here are toothless, ugly, fat, redneck things!!

7. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

VIKINGS SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

8. By Justin on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I dont know who you are…but i can tell you’re the only loser on this blog. You must have nothing else better to do but sit on an opposing teams blog page and run your mouth. How old are you? 7.

9. By Justin F on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mr. Wobschall, if you read this, Is there any way to IP ban Cali from this site?

10. By DailyNorseman on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Gotta love your typical Green Bay Packer fan. Their team wins a Super Bowl, and what’s the first thing they do?

Why, the first thing they do is go to a site about the Minnesota Vikings and show their arse to the entire world, that’s the first thing they do.

Dumbest fan base in sports.

11. By Justin F on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

By the way, I’m not the same Justin as the other one. Just to clarify.

12. By Dave the vike fan on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m really interested in hearing more aboutthe kid Stanzi from Iowa. Ian rappaport on Twitter said he threw a nice deep ba’ll…

Mike, any thoughts of yours on this kid?

Thanks!

Skol Vikes!!

13. By Dave the vike fan on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Whenever I see other packer fans or any fans within this division that cone here to rip on our team for that matter… I just ignore their comments… All you do is justify their purpose of being here..

We have class… Ignore them!!

Skol Vikes!!

14. By Chaz on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I hope Cali has a disorder to explain that rant.

15. By DailyNorseman on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Chaz: He’s a Packer fan. If that isn’t a disorder, I’m not sure what is.

16. By Dave the vike fan on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Lol!! Interesting point Norseman!!

17. By Justin on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Justin F. Its the other Justin on this blog. My last initial is an F. I’ll just keep it Justn.

18. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

If being a Packers fan is a disorder, than being a vikings fan must be a disease. There’s no known cure excpet suicide!

19. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Hate all you want. We’re champs, you’re chumps. Have fun climbing your way outta the bottom of the NFC!!!

20. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m also glad you weenies took such interest in what I had to say. Sometimes the truth hurts, don’t it vikings fans!!!

21. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and tell Mr. Wobble have fun trying to ban me. See ya later buttlickers!!!!

22. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Dailyintercourseman, why not come here and rub it in your faces. Bask in our glory!!!!!

23. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Dailyintercoursefromaman.

24. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

What a name

25. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Spaz.

26. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure you do all day

27. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Dave the d*** fan

28. By Cali on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

I bet you and Dailyintercoursefromaman are a couple

29. By buck on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

kid get a life put down the computer talk to somebody

30. By buck on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

ya i think the qb from iowa has so skills.

31. By Laura on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

For QBs I like Ryan Mallet and Blaine Gabbert. I’m looking forward to seeing Blaine Gabbert throw on Pro Day.

32. By Ricefield on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Cali is the offspring of a syphalitic swine just like all Packer Backers. The psychotic rant is a symptom of the disease and let’s us all know that it is in the late stages. Don’t get mad, feel sorry that his/her uncle didn’t use a condom on his/her mother.

Inbreeding, it’s what they do.

33. By Bubba on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

We need Julio Jones!

34. By Bubba on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

The Star Tribune is reporting Sidney Rice will NOT sign with the Vikings before testing the free agent market first. That is not good news!!!!!

35. By DailyNorseman on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Frankly, I’m surprised that Cali was able to dislodge his fingers from his daughter long enough to type anything at all.

36. By Titus on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Wow, someone needs his meds– or is it a her? Cali, yes your team is the Superbowl Champions— great. Congratulations. Enjoy it. Have the heart of a champion and show some class. Right now, you are acting immature and, well, frankly speaking, quite idiotic. You do need serious help. Put your name, address, cell phone, and email on here, so we can get you the counseling you need.

37. By Parody on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

LOL Titus – careful, somebody might take that as a threat. While you’re at it we might as well ask for her credit card number and date of birth so that we can guarantee immediate counseling overnight!

38. By Titus on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Parody, you are right— I thought it might seem like we are fishing for info to find who this is— but this person sincerely needs help. I don’t think this person is dumb enough to put her or his info on a public blog— well, then again…

39. By Titus on Feb 27, 2011 | Reply

Then again, a good test for anyone BEFORE he or she blogs is this: Would you be willing to say your posting to another human being face-to-face? If everyone sincerely asked themselves this question, a lot of animosity could be avoided.
    I cannot wait till after next season— Vikings are coming back strong— we will dominate our division for years.

40. By Rocksalt on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Cali-
    If you are indeed a Green Bay Fan, you should be glad for your team and content to celebrate your good fortunes. Instead you choose to berate Vikings fans with your incessant need to make others feel bad in order for you to feel better. This suggests a very low sense of self-esteem. I do feel sorry for your parents, for I am sure they did not intend to cultivate such a mean spirited and insecure person. Your actions are not only unnecessry, they are an indication that you have some deep-seated issues to resolve.
    So why don’t you go and get the help you need? Are you scared?

41. By Bigfan1 on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for all your hard work Mike covering the combine.

42. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering what “Cali” is short for, could it be: caliginous?
    – Affected with darkness or dimness; dark; obscure.

43. By lee12akma on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Cali: Come up with better and original insults. What’s up with those childish and immature insults? You’re making yourself, your team’s other fan, and your team look bad. Not that I really care if you’re going to continue spitting on your own face. Oh, and, your spam above just proves how you are a troll on this site and you have no life. So….go and get one. While you’re at it, learn to write better and come up with better insults. I never knew “ceise” was even a word.

Anyways,

Draft Ryan Mallett for QB. His arm power is ridiculous, he showed good accuracy in the combine. He might make bad decisions but you learn by gaining experience. I honestly think he can bleed purple and gold :P

44. By rick from pa. on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

im a fan 50 yrs no qb in draft a bunch of thumb suckers. the clown from auburn give me a break. donovan mcloser king no braons young. minni does not know talent anymore few exceptions no qb grooming green bay i live in pa and dont like any of teams but they do groom players. if sydney rice leaves 5 wins with 7 wins maybe can you say reboot!

45. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Could it be Calipash?

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Calipash: part of the turtle which is next to the upper sh3ll. It contains a fatty and gelatinous substance of a dull greenish tinge.

47. By Titus on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Nova, thanks for the linguistics lessons. I thought the poor dude was in California.
    Rocksalt hit the nail on the head— and as I stated, this person seriously needs counseling. When you win the championship, you should hold your head high with class and respect– not run your mouth on those who did not make it– not the heart of a champion—- and we know what you sow, you reap– that is a spiritual law— so, maybe this dude is helping us win.

48. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for all the attention people!! I knew you half wits had a one track mind, but geez. And tite-a**, you musta hit your mom’s rock pipe to think your team will dominate OUR division for years to come. You’re bottom feeders, always have been, always will be!!

49. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and by the way. This is my therapy. Nothing soothes me better than belittling the weak!! And Dailyintercoursefromaman, I had my fingers in your daughter while your wife watched!! Juicy!!!!

50. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I thought you guys were gonna try and ignore me. I knew you couldn’t resist!!!

51. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Rick from pa. You’ve wasted 50 years of your pathetic life rooting for a team that will never see the BIG GAME!!!!

52. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

lee12akma, I didn’t know you were the spelling police. I hope you let me off with a warning.

53. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

And to ALL vikes fans. You tell me to come up with better insults. What about the “Therapy thing”?? You guys are as creative as a 5 year old with down syndrome. Come on, give me your best shot.

54. By buck on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

u have been doing this for 2 days . seriously

55. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Why not. I have no life and need serious therapy. I sit in my room all day long and talk s**t to you losers. One loser to another, right?

56. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Seriously

57. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

CALIpash, I feel left out. You didn’t say anything moronic about me. Don’t you dislike Canadians too? (Get your cage-cleaner to show you Nova Scotia on a map).

58. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I don’t hate canada, eh, just vikings fans. You know what i’m talkin aboot.

59. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

The only thing I hate Canada for is Celine Dion. Thanks for Pam Anderson and Shania Twain though. Talk about Gush!!!

60. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

With that said, f**k you NovaScotiad**kfan!!!

61. By Cali on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

To tite-a**. I WOULD say it to your face, then I’d knock your teeth down your throat!!

62. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Calipash, your vocabulary + your IQ < room temperature. Go away little moron, you bore all of us.

63. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

An Internet tough guy. Up here we feed chum like you to the sharks.

64. By Titus on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Smart– make threats and post them on a public forum. Very smart.

65. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I can’t believe that just a couple of weeks ago I was in paradise, right in the Belizian jungle, FOR 6 WEEKS, and now I’m conversing with a foul-mouthed knuckle-dragger on the Internet.

66. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Cali, save your pennies, take a trip, see the world and everything will seem different to you when you come back.I assure you.

67. By Titus on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Well, Nova, sometimes I wonder why I even respond to some of these posts.
    I am going to check out the newer blog.

68. By Ricefield on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I love how he/she missed my post about being syphilitic swine. Poor dear probably doesn’t know what syphilitic means. Either that, or couldn’t honestly deny it.

I choose the latter. LOL

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Swine have trouble with 4 syllable words like “syphilitic”, Rice. It’s hard for them to remember their own name, like “Goober”. They are, however, great with words like “Oink”!

70. By Frederick Jones on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Wow, you guys hate Cali more than me !

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Fred, give him time, he’s new here.

72. By Titus on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Nova, you are hilarious tonight— oink, ha ha ha. hee hee. Freddie– we don’t hate you— I am your staunchest ally, but sometimes you get tunnel vision and lately a few of your assertions were just plain unfounded.

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

” The only thing I hate Canada for is Celine Dion”. Well, Cali, I’m not a big fan of her myself,but I have a lot of American friends who don’t hate Canada because someone famous is from here. If people thought like you…..”The only thing I hate the U.S. for is Richard Nixon, Ted Bundy, The Village People”…Do you understand how FOOLISH that sounds?????

74. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

****Of course, if Bundy had killed the Village People, everything would have been cool****

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

And then Nixon. And then himself….but I digress.

76. By Cali on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

And I thought I had no life. You guys are just as bad, especially the Canadien. Oink oink. Now THAT’S creative. How many of you morons did it take to come up with that one?? You guys crack me up. This shoulda been called the Cali blog. I’m the talk of the site. I’m more popular than your team!! Thanks vikings fans.

77. By Cali on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Out of 77 posts, about 74 included my name. Thanks losers. I’m officially more popular than Favre was. I’m done though. I just can’t match wits with caged apes throwin fecal matter everywhere. I’ll catch ya next season. Oh, and F*** THE VIKINGS!!!!!

78. By Cali on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

See ya losers at the bottom of the NFC. Oh and to the Ricepicker… Syphilitic: adj. Of, relating to, or affected with syphilis. (See Ricepickers wife, from which I contracted this disease from.) Also see, ALL vikings fans!!! LATER!!

79. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

I recently arrived back home after spending 6 weeks in Belize, Guatemala and Mexico with friends. Calipash, you just spent 2 days spouting meaningless venom on another team’s website. Which one of us doesn’t have a life?

80. By Titus on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

Nova, how was Mexico? I have not been there in a while and I might go at the end of April.

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

It was great, Titus. I spent most of my time in Chatumal, a little town in southeast Mexico, just north of Belize. Cheap, clean and friendly.

82. By RedRod on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Cali, Check This Out

Packers: Term For Packing a mans “Wing Wong” up another mans “Crack Hole”

2. Feb 27, 2011: Recapping Day 4 Of Combine Action | Vikings Stop Blog