Schedule For Day 2 Of Combine

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 25, 2011 – 8:50 am

We’re in store for another busy day at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine. Here’s a brief breakdown of what’s happening today…

– Today is Arrival Day for defensive linemen and linebackers. Meanwhile, the kickers and punters will workout on the field, offensive linemen and TEs will go through more exams and meetings, and the QBs, RBs and WRs will go through measurements, meetings, interviews and a media session.

– Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier will go through a similar schedule to what VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman experienced on Thursday. He’ll be on with Voice of the Vikings Radio Network Paul Allen at 9:15, then Sirius NFL Radio with Rich Gannon and Adam Schein at 9:45, then a press conference with national media at 10:15 and finally a meeting with local beat writers after the press conference (all times CST).

– While all of that is going on, vikings.com Videographer Jordan Struck and I will be chasing down players and NFL insiders for interviews and then I’ll also share thoughts and observations on the vikings.com Blog as the day moves along.

– Be sure to follow us on Twitter, either with the Vikings official account (@VikingsFootball) and/or my personal account (@wobby).

That’s it for now, but we’ll be back with much more as the day moves along.

20 Responses to “Schedule For Day 2 Of Combine”

1. By Parody on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Apparantly Jaymaar Johnson recently signed a 1-year extension: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/116914943.html

I thought that none of this was going to happen until after a new CBA is worked out, but I guess they have the right to sign until March 4, but the player’s union is just encouraging everybody to hold back.

Regardless, I like the move. Johnson showed a lot of promise when he was active, and I’m sure he can be a solid #4 or #5 for us. So the current WRs are Harvin, Berrian, Arcenaux, Camarillo and Johnson. Speculation is that Berrian will be cut, and if we are able to retain Rice then I’m all for it. Otherwise, we are going to need to keep him simply for his speed unless we can pick up a good alternative in free agency.

My first choice is obviously to do whatever it takes to retain Rice, hopefully with a Restricted Free Agent tag followed by an extension mid-season after he shows that 2009 wasn’t a fluke. But whatever happens, I’m sure our coaches will be making sound decisions.

2. By Shawn on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … there is a blogger who consistantly puts up posts with crazy assertions and never posts a link to back the absurd ideas that float around in his head … a lot of he said she said mumbo jumbo that is meaning less

Of course things are happening until march 3rd and to suggest anything differant is dumb

3. By Shawn on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the team is banking on the new CBA if and when it gets done will make Sidney Rice a RFA meaning we can match any offer anyone else make to him … or they give us draft picks

4. By Carl K on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Jaymar has a little more speed than Greg Camarillo… I think JJ can push Greg for the starting punt returner job.

I agree with Parody, Jaymar is a solid #4 or #5 WR. I am glad the Vikings did what they had to do last year and now to keep him.

Now, should we draft WR Julio Jones with the #12th pick and cut Berrian?

5. By Shawn on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I say cut Berrian no matter what … 3.9 million for pulled hamstrings and droped ba’lls is too much for any reciever or make him take a pay cut but i dont see him being higher than #4 on the depth chart so whats the point

6. By Shawn on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I just broke the I before E rule

7. By Parody on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

You broke the no foul language rule too with your ba’lls remark!

I don’t want to draft Jones, simply from the standpoint that it means we are giving up on Rice, who still has a lot of spectacular years ahead of him. If we can retain Rice, then we alrady have a solid receiving core, (Rice, Harvin, [cut Berrian], Arceneaux, Camarillo, JJohnson, Shiancoe), supported by a good set of running backs. So the offense will only need an improved OLine and a QB who can lead them.

8. By Carl K on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

@parody – Why do you feel drafting Julio Jones would mean we are giving up on S. Rice? B. Berrian yes!

Anyway, Rice has caught 146 p@sses in 4 years. That is 36 per year!
    Is that elite production worthy of an elite contract?

9. By Parody on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

I’m looking at it from Rice’s side of the ball – the CBA likely won’t be resolved by draft time, so Rice won’t have re-signed with the team yet. We sign a WR in the 1st round and already grabbed the best WR from the CFL. As Rice, I’m getting the feeling that they don’t care if they bring me back.

Over the last 2-years Rice has been averaging 4.55 catches a game, which accounts to 72.7 receptions in a 16-game year. Compare that to the 1.77 catches per game he had in his first two years and you can quickly see where your statistics are skewed to support your false argument. Not to mention, of the possible free-agent WRs this year, I recently saw Rice listed as the 2nd best possibility, behind only Vincent Jackson, with names like TO, Randy & Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Malcom Floyd, Steve Smith, Mike Williams, James Jones, Steve Breston and TJ Whosyourmomma all trailing him.

Don’t shoot him down just because he made a poor decision on how to handle his injury. When he gets a full season in, I am confident that he will be producing just as much as any of the top-5 receivers out there. With a top-notch QB he’ll do even better.

10. By Parody on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

One more thing – I just saw Rice in another article that was listing the top-50 free agents this year. He was #4 behind only DeAngelo Williams and a couple of QBs who have already been giving the franchise tag. That sure makes him sound like an elite player to me!

11. By Frederick Jones on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Shawn,

It Is also dumb to try to read between the lines, and make up things I supposedly said. And you seldom read the entire blog, or blogs that I send.

Besides, I get my facts from books, and the internet. If you wanted another reference like a link, you have to ask. When I suggest where to go to get the info., then you have the option to go there, or not go there.

Besides that, I would never take the time to learn how to post a “link.”

12. By Frederick Jones on Feb 25, 2011 | Reply

Shawn face the facts, whether it is a “link,” internet article, newspaper article, or magazine article, ANY or ALL could be based on hype.

So it comes down to; do you think Sidney Rice will play several more productive seasons, or is he too injured to be worth keeping.

13. By Carl K on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

@parody- Great answer! I love reading your posts.

Sid Hartman of the Startribune reported that close friends of Sidney Rice claim the hip surgery he had did not fix the pain he is having…

Frazier said yesterday that he is happy with Rice’s health and that the Vikings have extended a contract offer to Sidney Rice.

I hope Rice signs the contract!!!!!

I agree with you that Rice has great potential to be one of best WR’s in the NFL. However, over the past 24 months the Vikings have said on a number of occasions that resigning Rice is a high priority – and they have offered him contracts.

I am not trying to shoot Rice down… but when has he ever said signing with the Vikings is a top priority for him??? I can’t force Rice to want to play for the Vikings!!!!! Sooner or later the Vikings will either need to sign him or move on. How long are you willing to wait?

I believe (and I have been wrong before) the Vikings are working hard to get him signed before March 4th (before the CBA ends). If that doesn’t happen… I would not be suprised if the Vikings took WR Julio Jones in round 1, or maybe WR Torrey Smith in the 2nd round.

Frazier has said the QB position is a priority and signing Rice is a priority. If we can’t sign Rice does that mean WR is no longer a priority????

14. By Carl K on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

I am very suprised Frazier made the public statement that the Vikings made a contract offer to Rice… typically, GM’s and coaches refrain from making comments about current contract negotiations.

15. By Parody on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Carl – you make some good points too, even though I don’t like to consider what they could mean to the team. Rice just has too much talent to let him wander off to a new team. His actions last summer convinced me that it would be a better choice to give Rice the franchise tag and put the efforts into re-signing Greenway, who is more likely to stick around by choice, especially since he only has one new coach to work with rather than the complete reworking of the offensive coaches around Rice.

16. By Parody on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Carl – you make some good points too, even though I don’t like to consider what they could mean to the team. Rice just has too much talent to let him wander off to a new team. His actions last summer convinced me that it would be a better choice to give Rice the franchise tag and put the efforts into re-signing Greenway, who is more likely to stïck around by choice, especially since he only has one new coach to work with rather than the complete reworking of the offensive coaches around Rice.

17. By Parody on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

sorry for the double post – the first one didn’t show up immediately when I posted it.

18. By Carl K on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Parody – I hate the idea of Sidney not playing for the Vikings next year. It will be a happy day for me “IF” the Vikings can resign him. Viking fans all across the country will be celebrating and dancing in the streets when a new deal is done. Rice has a ton of talent… you are corect about that… and there is something artistic about they why he can go up and make a catch when defenders are in perfect postion. His touchdown catches are simply priceless.

However, I also hate the idea that the Vikings were TOTALLY UNPREPARED to play without Rice in 2010. I don’t think Frazier will let that happen agian.

19. By Carl K on Feb 26, 2011 | Reply

Sorry – “they why” should be “the way”.

2. Feb 25, 2011: Schedule For Day 2 Of Combine | Vikings Stop Blog