I’ve made the trek from my hotel room to the Lucas Oil Stadium media center and am ready to get rolling on Day 1 of the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine. We have a lot on the docket for today, let’s break it down.
– We’re set up in the media center near the other teams who send their websites to cover the event. The media center is located in the East Club of Lucas Oil Stadium and the room is complete with tables for media members to set up the computers and equipment, podiums for NFL coaches and executives to use during press conferences and then round tables for reporters and players to use for interviews.
– The Combine is a week-long event and it’s invitation-only for the players. So about 330 of the top college prospects will shuffle though Indianapolis this week.
– But not all the players are here at the same time. The players are broken up into position groups and then those position groups go through the various stages of the Combine on a staggered schedule. For example, the first groups to arrive here were the OL, kickers, punters, long snappers and TEs. They arrived yesterday, went through an orientation process and then today they’ll go through measurements, medical examinations, psychological examinations, interviews with teams and a media session. The second groups are QBs, RBs and WRs. They’ll go through the orientation process today, then tomorrow they’ll do what the first group is doing today. So on and so on.
– At 11:30 a.m. CT Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman will have a press conference today at one of the podiums in the media center. We’ll record that and have on vikings.com for you as soon as possible. Then Spielman will meet with Twin Cities beat writers and I’ll sit in for that and report back to you.
– Voice of the Vikings Radio Network Paul Allen will host his radio show from Lucas Oil Stadium today and tomorrow. He’ll have both Spielman and head coach Leslie Frazier on, but he’ll also chase down players, NFL personnel and national media members.
That’s it for now. I’ll have much more for you later, so be sure to check back in with us frequently.
Tags: 2011 NFL Draft, Leslie Frazier, Rick Spielman
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 7 Comments »