Greenway Reacts To Being Named Franchise Player

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 21, 2011 – 1:43 pm

On Monday morning the Vikings announced that they’ve designated Chad Greenway as their franchise player, which means the LB will be tendered a guaranteed 1-year contract for the 2011 season. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said Greenway has improved each year in Minnesota and continues to be a team leader on and off the field.

This afternoon, Greenway has chimed in on the matter, too, and seems excited for the opportunity to play for Frazier as well as the opportunity to hopefully work out a long-term agreement with the Vikings that will leave him in Minnesota for years to come.

“I’m happy to know that the Vikings value me enough to make this move,” Greenway said. “I look forward to this season and playing for Coach Frazier, Coach Pagac and Coach Singletary. It’s been a goal of mine since getting drafted to play with the Vikings my whole career. I think we’re one step closer to that now. My family and I love living in the Twin Cities and I want to be a part of the Vikings for years to come. I feel like the team has a bright future and I want to be a part of that.”

Tags: ,

201 Responses to “Greenway Reacts To Being Named Franchise Player”

1. By Tim on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

the vikings have to keep Greenway he is one of the best line backers in the NFL

2. By Ryan on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

This was a good move by the Vikings, We need a new stadium to keep the Vikings in Minnesota where they belong! SKOL VIKINGS!

3. By Chaz on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

transition tag on Rice

4. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

another smart move by frazier … WTG coach !!!!

5. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Give me 22 Chad Greenways.

6. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Even though he has not made the pro bowl he is the BEST outside linebacker in the league.

7. By viking joe on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Put a TAG on SIDNEY RICE !!!!!

8. By crazyviking on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

good move, Greenway is a great LB.

9. By hugooo on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

is graet for the team

10. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@Nova,

I’m trying to learn the CFL rules. What an interesting league. I especially like the longer end zones. This means your team is not finished passing near the end zone. In the NFL, that’s a factor.

The one point for kicking the ball in the end zone seems nuts. The kicker must be more important in the CFL version because of that rule, and of course the 3 down rule.

What exactly is the 3 point rule? (There seems to be some confusion among CFL rule writers on the web.)

11. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@Nova,
    I meant the 1 point rule ! ! !

12. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Stoney,

Watch the Tarvaris Jackson highlights on you tube.com !

A year or two in the CFL would be perfect for TJack, because he would have to concentrate on passing in that league. I have a feeling there may be an NFL team that wants him, however.

13. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb seems closer to being ready to take over the #1 spot for the Vikings.

14. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@nova … welcome back, i wish we had 22 novas on the blog

IM A BANANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. By Alan Helimsky on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

the vikings now need to sign rice or place the transition tag on him. then resign longwell.

16. By Jason P. on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I think this is a great move by the Vikings, Chad is a great,solid,linebacker. Hopefully the stadium deal will get worked out as soon as possible because I believe the team is going to go through a rebuilding stage and it would be great for them to open a new stadium with a solid winning team !! Skol Vikings !!! BARoooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!! BARooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!! BARooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By Steve on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Chad is a very good LB. Not sure about the team having a bright future.

18. By Joe Schmoe on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

why is my comment not showing up? i posted it 3 minutes ago and there was nothing even remotely offensive or abusive.

19. By Hamm on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Yes! Greenway was insane already… with Singultary as linebackers coach he will be unstoppable!

20. By Joe Schmoe on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

ok, i guess i’ll just say it again then:

1. TJack has no talent, Frederick Jones. You can find YouTube highlights of ANY NFL player…. highlights mean nothing. what about the constant lowlights he showed? How about the playoff game vs. Philly? He’s not an NFL player, period.

2. @Chaz, the transition tag can’t be used because that went out the window when we franchised Greenway. I personally love Greenway but I might have franchised Rice instead. Why? I feel he’s more of a “rare” talent than Chad is. I love Chad as a player and this is really splitting hairs. Both very talented, I’ll trust the front office.

21. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Speculation has been that the coaching staff didn’t agree with the way that Rice handled his injury last offseason, and were more comfortable franchising a player with ethics like Greenway has. Whether or not that is the case, we’ll probably never know, but I really hope that the team can lock a deal up with Rice as soon as possible. When it comes down to it, compared to a lot of other top tier WRs, Rice has a pretty respactable character.

22. By john thierhoff on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

great i

23. By Jeannine Jacaruso Dietz on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Fantastic news!!! Chad is an awesome linebacker. Glad to hear that some good decisions are being acted upon! Let’s keep the progress going in the right direction and sign Sidney next! Lots of work to be done before this team is truly competitive again but then just like Rome, the Vikings weren’t built in a day. Vikings fan ’till death do us part!

24. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

On the note of character, I’m starting to dislike Ray Edwards a bit. I just watched him in an interview, and he showed little-to-no concern about his most recent team. He seems more than happy to play for whatever team is willing to give him the biggest contract. And, if the lockout lasts through 2011, he has declared that he’ll leave the NFL all together and become a professional boxer for the rest of his career. It seems like he only cares about the money, and I’d prefer to get guys who have more class than that.

Plus, he just seemed too full of himself. He was constantly giving himself kudos for being one of the best DEs in the NFL. I’m sorry [Sugar] Ray, but if that were truly the case, then you would have notched double-digit sacks at least once in your recent career, especially when the offensive lines are focusing most of their efforts on the other side, where even after a slow start Jared Allen still notched 3 more sacks and added 3 turnovers to the mix, one for a score.

Long story short, we can move on without [Sugar] Ray Edwards. Griffen may not be the guy to replace him long term, but if the coaches can turn his attitude around he still has the skills to impress. If I remember correctly, he was slated as a 1st round pick until issues about his effort came into question. If anybody can fix that problem it is the Vikings staff.

25. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I just found a site that describes the beginnings of Frazier’s coaching career: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/21/fraziers-coaching-career-had-humble-beginning

It sounds like he got off to a great start by building an entirely new collegiate football team, as their first head coach, into becomming one of the best in the country in a relatively short period of time.

It says a lot about his ability to succeed, and it makes me more confident than ever that he will be building a great Vikings team.

26. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Is it too early to think that Frazier is the best coach we’ve had since Bud Grant?

27. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

We need to franchise tag a stadium.

28. By Sean on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

He probably doesn’t read comments about himself, but oh well.
    Dear Chad Greenway
    Congratulations on your tag! You probably don’t remember me- I am but one among many many fans- but I saw you at the Hawkeyes game during the Vikings’ bye week this last fall. You’re my favorite player! I stood in the front row of the student section with your jersey and a marker, hoping to shake your hand or take home a memento. After a few missed opportunities I thought you’d come over at the end of the game, but when you saw me, you looked down and ran into the tunnel instead. I’ll admit I was pretty hurt at the time, but it’s alright, I understand. Glad to hear you’re sticking to Minny! Hopefully Zygi agrees to keep the Vikings where they belong. Keep it up!

29. By VIKINGS/HEAT/SHARKS on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

McNabb and sanders nice!!

30. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Watch the Randy Moss highlights on you tube.com !

84 life

31. By Rocksalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

McNabb???maybe…….But I am not sold on the recycling of old QBs that we seem to do over and over and over……..
    Sanders? lots of questions there………

32. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is a lot younger than some that we have brought in– at 34 he could have a very decent and solid 4 years — maybe more.

33. By Rocksalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Maybe…..

34. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Everything is a maybe. Gotta have some faith. Or you stay in bed all day.

35. By vikesrule on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Chad,
    I know you don’t read these, but I was at the game when the Packers beat the Vikings 31 to 3. You lead the team with 7 tackles and played great. The only bad play was when you didn’t drop deep enough in coverage and got burned for a touchdown. I still think you are the best. Congrats on your tag!
    Skol Vikes

36. By Bill on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Put a tag on Sidney?? Yeah a LUGGAGE tag!! Send him packing he is damaged goods!

37. By VikingWalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

SKOL VIKINGS! ! ! Absolutely a BEAST! Chad Greenway is deserving of a LONG-TERM deal folks!

38. By Rocksalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Still not buying into the recycling old QBs game……been there, done that, Titus….what do we have to show for it?????You must be the one in bed, boy…..

39. By Rocksalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Bill-
    I too, have questions about Sidney…his only good year was due to Favre’s miraculous season……..

40. By Rocksalt on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Congrats for Chad, well deserved…… although I do not agree that he is the best linebacker in the league……..

41. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Bill and Rock … I agree IM VERY SKEPTICAL about Sidney, and I DO NOT believe he deserves more than a one year deal … WAY TOO RISKY

and whats our plan when he gets a hangnail or a blister possably catches the sniffles and has to miss a few games

What do we do if in August he goes I need surgery and hope to be back by week 8 and not show up till week 12 … hes one of the MAJOR reasons for the failure last season and to reward him long term is INSANE

42. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

HA i just thought of a good question for next weeks Monday Morning Mailbag

How is Sidney Rices health and what are the chances he will have surgery in August?

43. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Stop the insanity ! ! !

I do not know where to begin.

For starters: Tarvaris Jackson has more talent in his pinky finger than you have in your whole body.

Next: Get rid of Sidney Rice??? Better yet stop drinking that kind of Koolaid.

44. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Joe Schmoe, as it was explained to me by other bloggers…the vikings.com system looks for swear words. ANYTHING could be classified as being a swear word. You can’t even say some of the major holidays on here.

45. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Stop the insanity, part two:

“Recycling quarterbacks” is a good idea. George Blanda, Earl Morrall, Johnny Unitas, etc., I am sure you have heard about. But do you know their histories?

That my friend is the short list. Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Jim Plunkett, and many others were also “recycled.”

46. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Stop the Insanity, part three

I detect alot of racism on this blog. Why else would fans automatically hate superstar players who contributed mightily to the Vikings the last two seasons.

There is no reason to hate Sidney Rice, and Ray Edwards. To do so, is not only STUPID, but racist as well.

47. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

….If the shoe fits, please eat it!

48. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

8- Hank ” Why was I signed ” Baskett
    9- Jaymar ” I was on IR ” Johnson
    0- Freddie ” Prctice Squad ” Brown

SCARY

84 LIFE … BBM

49. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Whoa, Fred, I have seen racism on this blog before, but I think you are reaching– be careful on that unless you are certain. Stupidity, yes– lots of that on these blogs.
    All this sanity and insanity wording may, just may cause a mild mannered intellect transform into the superhero to save the blogs.

50. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, what is scary is how accurate your posting actually is– it is sarcastic, but it is sooooooooooooo true.

51. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I will give Rice benefit of the doubt— he was told his injury might heal without surgery—Seriously, who would want to go under the knife on your hip? He is a young man– and apparently, that was a major surgery.

52. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Yea Titus, I THINK Rice has greatness in him but he NEEDS to prove he can play 16-18 games plus playoffs ….

he hasnt played 16 in a row in his first 4 years so I really wonder if he can … and with the other 2 might miss games guys i hope Frazier unlike Chilly is prepared

53. By Josh on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

shawn, you ever have a migrane? Its not a little headache. And about Sidney only being great under Favre, I think his catches vs the Bills showed us that 2009 was for real. Maybe not, I guess we’ll have to wait to see.

54. By Guapo 701 on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

chilly would’ve used franchise tag on t jack

55. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@Josh yea I realize its a harsh reality for Viking fans and Harvin is a great player … and if it was just Harvin missing games it wouldnt concern me so much but when you consider the posibility of a couple must win games and 3 of your top 5 WR including your top 2 cant play WHAT DO WE DO? LOSE? Thats what we did last year … I just hope we are prepared as a fan

and I understand freak things happen but Rice, Harvin , and Berrian have proven to be question marks more often than not

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred, the 1 point rule is technically called a “rouge”, which is French for “red”. (Don’t ask me why). A team is awarded 1 pt. for a missed field goal or punt that goes through the end zone(which is bigger than a Wal-Mart parking lot). To me, a team should not be rewarded for punting or missing a field goal.

57. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Shawn…..THANKS BUDDY!!!!!

58. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Harvin’s migranes are a serious issue– no one debates that– but at the end of the day, if one of your best playmakers is an unknown week to week, then you have a problem.

59. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Has Sonja filled her prime rib quota yet?

60. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I noticed today that Kendra is pregnant. That’s the first time that Hank Baskett has scored as a Viking!

61. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@Nova

Thank you for clearing that up. It seems like the CFL would be an almost all-pass game, since you have one less down to get 10 yards.

You have mentioned not liking the Canadien game. Why is that?
    (I have never seen a live CFL game, even on TV)

62. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Baskett finally made it into the end zone?

63. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I heard that after the deed he had to go on the I.R.

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Fred, its like trying to watch AA baseball. It’s just inferior in every way. You haven’t missed anything.

65. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Nova is Back ! ! !

66. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

lol nova … he meant to pull out but he droped the load

67. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

the whole gang is coming back!!! only cause we just had 14 inches of snow dumped on us in the past 24 hours– like old times, when we were all on here during the big one that collapsed the dome.

68. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, let’s not get carried away– keep this PG-13. We may have to do DNA testing though, to make sure there was not an interception.

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Kendra knows how to deal with 4th and long!

70. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

hehe titus yea i knew i was pushing it but it was the only drop referance i could think of

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

After the “season” Baskett had, it wouldn’t surprise me if Chilly was asked to be the godfather.

72. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Sonja just blushed.

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s hard to tell with a Red Doberman.

74. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

That is one giant blush.

75. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Who knows, maybe Chilly is the ACTUAL father. That’s why Baskett was signed. The paycheck was the only way that Chilly could keep him quiet.

76. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I don’t think so. Chilly is still on the P.U.P. list.

77. By Titus on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Parody, now that is funny.

78. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Fair enough nova. How about Chilly’s brother then? Will Chilly do that much for a family member?

79. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure, with 14 Mill in the bank, all of Chilly’s family have gained a new “respect” for him.

80. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

If Chilly is the father, you sure can’t blame him!

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

By the way Shawn, if Kendra had married Percy, she wouldn’t be pregnant now, he would have had a headache that night.

82. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

ROTFLMAO Nova

83. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

LOL Nova. Thing Chilly fücked all of us over, so why wouldn’t he be doing the same to his players and their wives?

84. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

You all do realize that you’re calling a Viking’s wife a who’re, right?

85. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Or am I completely reading this wrong and whoever “Kendra” is isn’t Hank’s wife?

86. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@rice

Kendra Wilkinson Married to Hank Basket

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Rice, she is actually a nice girl who just likes to pose nude and sleep with 80 year old men. (man)

88. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Shawn.

That’s what I gathered out of the conversation but I had to be sure.

89. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Nova,

Not for nuthin’ but I don’t really care. The fact that she’s married to a Viking should earn her a small amount of respect from the fans.

I would expect this sort of stuff out of Packer Fans but not the Viking faithful.

90. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Baskett’s not really a Viking though – what did he do for the team?

91. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

He signed with the Vikings which makes him a Viking.

Anyway, I’m not trying to tell you guys and gals how to talk on the net but I just wanted to point out that she is married to a Viking and so I expected something different.

Didn’t mean to rain on the parade.

92. By Parody on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

No offense intended Ricefield. I just wanted to poke at Chilly and his poor decisions over the past year and a half (the team was doing good at least through midseason in ’09). This seemed like an easy enough cheapshot to make.

93. By Shawn on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

@rice she has a sex tape out to … but not with hank, and hank wont be a Viking in 3 weeks

94. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Understandable Parody. I’m sure it was all in fun. I didn’t mean to come off as all preachy either.

To be honest, I had no idea who Kendra was. I just saw folks poking fun at Chilly (if anyone deserves it, he does) using her (some nameless faceless wife of a player as far as I was concerned).

Even knowing her history now, doesn’t change my opinion but I can see the fun in it.

95. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

I can see the fun in it too!

96. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Rice, she’s seen more di(k than a Fenway Park men’sroom.

97. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Hmmm,

Then let’s hear it, Nova.

Where’s that zinger?

Waiting…

Waiting…

Oh yeah, it isn’t as funny now is it?

Well okay, how bout…

Um….

oh yeah, Now that Chilly’s gone, how long will take Frazier to get in her pants?

or

Brett sent her a pic but she’s seen bigger.

98. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Rice,????????????????????

99. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

LOL, ya ninja’d me Nova.

That was a pretty good one. LOL

100. By Ricefield on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Just in case, you don’t know what ninja’d means (no judgement it’s just not everyone is familiar with the term)

Ninja’d- the act of posting a response while someone else is typing a response to a previous response and making that response irrevelevant. (or something like that)

It isn’t an insult.

101. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 21, 2011 | Reply

Rice, I know buddy, it’s all good.

102. By Ricefield on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Thanks man.

103. By Kyler on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I would say take it easy on percy though….after my tour in iraq and being hit by some IED’s i have now have mild brain damage which leaves me with very very similar condition as percy where migraines just appear out of nowhere..when they happen i have to basically just lay in my bedroom with all lights off and no noise…because the pain is unbearable ….now i cant even get my self to go out in the sunlight when i get these…Now ask yourself if you had these could get yourself to play a super physical game like football, or even manage to get your self if a bright stadium with all that crowd noise? I for one could not.

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Kyler, I’ve never had migraines, but I’d rather have one with Kendra as my nurse!

105. By Dave on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Nova- always a pleasure reading your bogs lol

SKOL VIKES!!

P. S. Congrats greenway!

106. By Dave on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Blogs—typooooo

107. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Dave, thanks!

108. By Bigfan1 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

No brainer, keep Greenway it sounds like he wants to stay anyway.

109. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

The reaction to Chad Greenway being named with the franchise tag was all positive here on Vikings.com.

You do realize that he had a serious knee injury in college, that cost him a season. He had another serious injury in his rookie year in the NFL.

Yet there was not one negative blog about him like there was Sidney Rice.

Gee…do you think it’s possible there might be JUST A TOUCH of RACISM on Vikings.com?

110. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@Kyler

Did you see the recent post called WR Depth. We need more people like you who can emphasize with these NFL player, also called humans.

111. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

2 typos: ? after Depth. and player should be players

112. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Have you noticed the stands in a Vikings game? It’s 100% white people.

When you add racism to the picture, those are ugly people. If you were black, asian, or indian, would you want to play for the Vikings?

113. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

That column called WR depth could only have been founded on RACISM !

114. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

nine out of the ten players named in WR Depth are black.

115. By Aceviking on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Greenway!!! Now this is off the subject, but I think the number one QB the Vikings should be looking for via trade is Brian Hoyer of the Patriots. I think he possesses all of the skills needed for a starter.

116. By Parody on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

And you’re the only one bringing race into any of the discussions Fred! It seems like you’re the true racist in here. Nobody else has posted anything in regard to color, and I’ll bet that if it were Rice that was given the tag the comments would have been just as complimentary as the ones in this blog.

And BTW – I have posted that I don’t want TJack to come back but would love to see Webb become our franchise QB – Does that make me racist? I have posted that I want to keep Rice at any cost, but that I am caring less for Edwards because of his attitude – does that make me racist?? I have also posted that I would like to have Rice and Harvin and Moss as the top 3 WRs on the team, while cutting guys like Berrian and Baskett. I suppose that makes me racist too? How about saying how much I hate Childress as head coach but love the potential that Frazier brings to the team? Yep, all that sounds EXTREMELY racist!

Even if anything that I said was racist, the way you are calling people out for anything and everything that they have an opinion on is much worse. Turning around the intent of non racist comments in an attempt to sound racist does much worse in keeping people racist than it does succeed in any other intent the comment may have.

117. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@Parody … seems maybe Fred is trying to say Im racist, I think he quit taking his meds because he has been more wierd the last couple weeks than usual

and for him its hard to see the differance between Rice’s 26 games started over 4 years and Greenways 63 starts over the same 4 years too him thats racist

Out of curiousity is Randy Moss white? because I still hope we get him back

84 life BBM

118. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

My doberman chewed up a white poodle. MY GOD SHE’S A RACIST!!!!!!!!

119. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Shhh Nova you dont want Animal Control taking her away for a hate crime

120. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Some of the stuff on this blog is truely bizzare, boys.

121. By Stoney on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred, your a window licker for bringing race into this! Is it hard to type with that helmet on?

122. By Jake on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I am not a big fan of greenway, but, I am a vikes fan, so guilt by association, congrats and I hope you can make me a believer. I would love to see the vikes defense rise to #1 once again.

123. By Jake on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I cant believe you are taking shots at Harvin. The way I see it, you have two types of players. One(like AP) that is humble, puts out 150%, and then the loudmouths that make one play the whole game and celebrate like they won the superbowl! I think Percy is a lot like AP, when he is in the game, you are gonna get 150% from the man, and I will take that player over a Moss who has way more talent, but cant keep his mouth shut, anyday of the week. It kills me to see such a talented player like Moss, probably not make the hall of fame someday, because he cant let his play speak for him!

124. By Jake on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I guess I am a racist…..I only like purples!!!! GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!

125. By Seabass on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

CORNFED CHAD ‘Greenway’ really deserves everything. Just a standout guy, great worker, good instincts, athletic, what else would you want in a player? I would definitely be in favor of keeping this guy around for many more years.

As for Rice, look, he is a great WR. Yes he has been injured, yes he had supposedly 1 standout year, yes you could say that 1 year was because of Favre BUT he is still a good WR. He has great size, his jump ball is one of the best in the NFL, great hands, not fast but pretty good game speed, good route runner, and he also has a very good head on his shoulders, not to mention he is still very young. We should sign him to a long term contract, why you may ask. Because he is a pretty safe bet AND best part is we could get him at a pretty dang good price because he doesn’t have the most leverage because of his injury. Yeah he got injured but it is the NFL and everyone gets injured. He is young, he has so much upside, and since we could get him at a respectable price. Sign Rice up baby!

126. By Titus on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred, I think your racism accusations are unfounded.

127. By CaribooBill on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

The CFL is affected by a rule that guarantees that a majority of the players be Canadian citizens, so that football locally is encouraged. This affects the quality of play but makes it more relevant to the fans, much like US college football to US fans. The field is 110 yards long, about 10 yards wider and much deeper end zones. This leads to a very wide open game. The one point rule seems strange to US fans, but does bring in an additional elemnt of strategy. The CFL is also an incubator of innovation. Some of the new formations seen in the NFL have previously shown up in the CFL. It is also a good training ground for players and coaches – Bud Grant comes to mind.

128. By Ben on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Can’t Transition Tag Rice because it requires 6 years of being in the NFL.

129. By Sean on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Shawn i’m guessing you have never had a migraine. there is no way percy would be able to play with a migraine they get so much worse from just dim lights think about being id stadium like that not to mention the noise from the crowd he would be in at least four times the pain than he normally would be

130. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think Shawn was dumping on Percy. He was merely pointing out the deficiencies in our receiving corps. You have to admit, any player that has an on-going medical condition that limits his availability to the team is a major question mark.

131. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@Parody

I am not calling anyone racist, other than those that truly fit the bill.

132. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Today, a Vikings stadium bill was born, with just a few weeks left in the 2010 session of the Minnesota Legislature

Read:

133. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

This is not the first time I have seen racism defile vikings.com, and it is not the first time I have pointed it out.

134. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred, please point out ONE specific instance, I can’t find one.

135. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Consider this:

The Vikings top two quarterbacks, Jackson and Webb, can both run like the wind, whip a football through a brick wall, and have both demonstrated touch and accuracy. Yet we have to look for a “White Leader” at the quarterback position.

Get this, the one black college quarterback draft prospect, Cam Newton, has been rejected by most vikings.com writers.

136. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have made it public that they would like a new stadium once their lease expires. According to the newspaper, two sites for that venue have emerged as the choices: tearing down the downtown Metrodome and building a new stadium in that location, or clearing out a portion of an abandoned Army ammunition plant in Arden Hills, Minn. (which is about 10 miles north of the dome) and building from scratch there.

137. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@Nova , Thanx man … I was going to respond but I figured whats the point, I love watching Percy play but my concern is a repeat of last year when we had a couple games that Rice, Harvin and Berrian were all on the bench and I hope we have a plan to avoid an issue like that. Such as having a WR known to not miss games and still have the ability to start … such as Randy Moss who never misses games

84 life BBM

138. By Parody on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred – You’re missing the point. Nobody in here was being racist. You’re the only one who has even taken note of the players’ race, which currently (by my standards) makes you the most racist blogger on the site.

139. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred, Cam Newton’s flaws have been pointed out by NFL draft “experts” nationwide. You are they only one who has used the term “white leader”. Just what are you trying to say or what are you trying to start here?

140. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Get off it Frederick Jones, How many black to whites are there on each team? I think you will find more blacks than whites! I think many white players are over look in the small collages because the coaches have in the back of their heads that they need collard players for that so-called adversity, rather than their G0D given talents. Too many people cry race because they do not want to take the chance they cannot make the cut in the end. If wanting people to make it on their talent rather than race, well then I am a race. I am sure if T-Jack was able to run the team, he would be doing that the last two years and Farve would have stayed retired. The NFL bends backwards to accommodate the collard players, just look at the sidelines. More and more are in leadership positions every year. Just because a white man gets a leadership position now and then now days is not racism, it just might be talent.

141. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

While a new stadium would net the Vikings an additional $31.5 million in annual revenue, one that was rebuilt would net it $20 million a year, the firm estimated.
    Those two options, dubbed “Metrodome Next” are superior — and less expensive — than simply renovating the Dome by adding costly club seats, suites and widening concourses, the firm concluded. That option would cost nearly $975 million, it said.

142. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Costs for a new stadium could approach $900 million, depending on a roof and other amenities. That would mean roughly $40-60 million a year in public funds would be needed to help pay for the project, a percentage of which the Vikings say could be gained from the lottery game.

Sounds good to me.

143. By Austin on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

can’t transition rice…in order to use that the player must have 6 years of service in the NFL..he has only 4

144. By DRS on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Got to go, G0D bless all the people.

145. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred, your never-ending posts on the Viking’s OL needs were tedious and repetitive, but at least they contained some substance. Your latest rant, accusing some of your fellow bloggers of racism is not only groundless, but could be viewed as inflammatory in its half-veiled attempt to draw attention to it’s author. You are pulling off scabs that don’t exist in some misguided attempt to generate “conversation”. Give it up, it’s dangerous.

146. By animal26 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Well, there is another person who is looking to sign with another team, who the Vikings should jump on right away. Shockey has hit the market. He would be a great addition to Shank, and Jimmy Kleinsasser. They can get rid of Dugan for someone who compliments Shank very well and can be put in on running or passing downs with either shank or Jimmy. In my opinion, getting Shockey would really help AP and gerhart, which the offense will be the main part of the viking offense.

147. By animal26 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Ap and Gerhart, who are going to be the main part of the Vikings offense under Frazier.*

148. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Animal26, I think you are right about Shockey. I never thought much of him when he was a Giant, but he seemed to get his act together in N.O. He certainly couldn’t hurt.

149. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Frederick –
    your insane attempts at suggesting racism are laughable…….TJack is a joke Sideny has yet to really prove himself beyond the Favre miracle…Ray Edwards has not exactly been a model team player………so shut yer piehole

150. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Plus it never hurts adding a proven vet with a SB ring.

151. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fred-
    are you really Insane?

152. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

How are Mrs. RockSalt and all the little salts?

153. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

well, we seem to have many holes to fill………

154. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Fine ,
    Thanks Nova- How are you?
    I took some time off of this stuff……..the disappointment of the season, need to just get away, etc, but now I am back to put in my 2cents…….

155. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

rock i think you under value yourself … id say 5-6 cents =)

156. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Shawn-
    How you doin, man?

157. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

thanks for the upgrade

158. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

the ability to melt snow must rank somewhere between a rock and a hard place

159. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

seriously, my goal is to reunite pangea

160. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Im among the living so cant complain … good to see the old names come around, and good to discuss the future rather than the mess Chilly made … and so far Im really excited to see what Frazier is building

161. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Shawn-
    I agree.Frazier has made some good decisions-reuniting with Singeltary…….I hope we can get stablity at QB & O line, oh yeah and D line……….

162. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

and WR, and defensive backs………

163. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

And stadium issues….

164. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

hahaha …. and other than that CHAMPIONSHIP

165. By paul on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

To Chad Greenway,
    You and your family would love it in Green Bay, the football capital of the world and Superbowl Champions. Great stadium and greater fans,top notch coaching saff.
    The Packers are always looking for Great linebackers Chad, something a team can never have enough of and with your talent I personally can’t think of a better linebacker to BACK-UP Clay Matthews.

166. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Greenway doesn’t have to “back-up” anybody.

167. By Shawn on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Seems like Wisconsin has a lot of unhappy citizens , seems another Republican duped the small town packer nation and is now showing his true colors and trying to bust unions what a scu’mbag

168. By Titus on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Green Bay better enjoy it while they can; this upcoming season will not be all fun for the goldilox kids led by the dancing deer rogers. Let the Packer fans have their fun– they won the SB fairly–I think.

169. By Ricefield on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

DRS,

That first link you posted said it was posted May 9, 2010. Is that a typo?

Because if it ain’t, then today was almost a year ago. LOL

170. By Ricefield on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Correction: May 3, 2010. The point still stands.

171. By vikesfan78 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Hi Nova, Thank God there is some sanity back on the Vikes website!!! Congrats to Greenway and I hope Sid gets signed.

172. By vikesfan78 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Rocksalt…Love to see you back……Fred, I ususally enjoy your blogs…what’s up with you?

173. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Vikesfan78, thanks, it’s nice to be back, but 6 weeks in Belize has made me hate winter even more.

174. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

What abot the QB situtaion? Is Webb the answer? Do we draft a QB when we are so desparate at so many other positions? I am so sick of us picking up these old QB’s for a year or 2? It has become our trademark.

175. By vikesfan78 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Nova, I am really a different blogger, but changed my blogger name due to challenges with my true blogger name

176. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

What is wrong with people who have nothing better to do with their time than “impersonate” other bloggers? Who did you used to be VF78?

177. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

*Whom, my english profs are rolling over in their graves.

178. By Titus on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

It is fun to change names, but when you “use” another person’s identity to belittle or degrade their reputation, then you cross a line. I know firsthand. Vikings.com could easily correct this by creating one username per email address and not allowing other bloggers to use that name. Most sites do something like this– you try a username and you are told– sorry, that name is already used.

179. By Titus on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Nova, people today have so many issues with grammar and syntax that I am sure your profs did not even notice.

180. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m just curious as to the former identity of Vikesfan78. He/she hasn’t blogged enough to give me a clue.

181. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

It might remain a mystery to me tonight. It’s almost 2:00 here.

182. By vikesfan78 on Feb 22, 2011 | Reply

Nova and Titus, I am SueGVikes4ever. There was a while back when i felt offended by what another blogger said about what i said. I blogged that I wouldn’t write anything until next season. I haven’t written very often uncer Vikes78 and I wasn’t proud when I did. Sorry Guys, Sue:(

183. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

No apology necessary, Sue. Don’t worry too much about what other bloggers say, just keep being yourself, you’ll be just fine.

184. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

On that note, I’ll say goodnight Sue, Titus and anyone else around from frigid Halifax, Nova Scotia!

185. By vikesfan78 on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Nova, I appreciate it!!! Since you’ve been gone it’s been CRAAAZY!!

186. By Frederick Jones on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

If you are not a racist, then why do you constantly ask for a white quarterback?

Why is Cam Newton considered the “bad boy” of the college quarterback prospects?

If these questions are so disturbing to you, that you find me insane, isn’t there some truth to the fact you are a racist?

187. By Frederick Jones on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Some of the comments about Sidney Rice, absolutely floored me !

Here is a guy who risks his health on nearly every play to make impossible catches, and a blogger says that we ought to get rid of him???

Then the negative remarks about Percy Harvin because he misses a game now and then for a health problem? Harvin may be the best all-around athlete the Vikings have EVER had.

One guy had the gall to rip all of the Vikings receivers, and then he was PRAISED for it by some of my favorite bloggers !

188. By Frederick Jones on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

I have always hated the negative sportswriters, and the Mpls Tribune has more than it’s share of them.

Several guys knocked Sid Hartman ! He’s the only consistently positive writer on the Mpls. Tribune.

You can be 5 foot tall, and weigh a beer-bloated 300 pounds, eating Doritos, and knock Michael Jordan’s jump shot! (or Sidney Rice’s injuries)

The talk about Bryant McKinnie, and Phil Loadholt. These guys would crush you ! ! !

189. By Parody on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

honestly Fred, forget about it. Just argue why we should keep these players, and disregard the color of their skin. If you can convince us that players deserve to remain on the due to their merits alone, it will make everybody a lot less hostile towards your comments.

190. By DRS on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, you are a reverse racist! According to you only blacks make great players, leaders, and whites stand in their way to leadership, how prophetic that is! I believe talent is what makes a person a leader not his skin! I think no one on this blog and in the Vikings organization cares about ones skin collar; we care about talent, and skill with performance.

191. By DRS on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, If the players you like perform as the position demands, would not they get the respect you think they are not getting? If they play well during games will they not be rewarded in the end? I do not care about one’s skin color but what I do care about is can the player be there for the team and dose he use his talent for the team. A player’s talent is what counts, not race!

192. By DRS on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Got to go, G0D bless you all.

193. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Phil Loadholt and Bryant McKinnie would crush 95% of the population. Nobody will argue that. The question is, can they crush a defensive lineman? If not, get someone who can, black, white or whatever.

194. By Shawn on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

hulk smash

195. By Stoney on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

Fred, is your real name Al Sharpton?

196. By shibby on Feb 23, 2011 | Reply

god bless you chad greenway i love you soo much ;) never leave us

197. By Gubber on Feb 24, 2011 | Reply

Chad is one of those people-players that you build a championship with. Terrific player and citizen who is highly respected, can rally his teammates and make a big play when the going gets tough !!!

198. By Oswaldo Gowda on May 6, 2013 | Reply

The first thing to remember with a franchisor is that they are there to sell you a franchise. Even the best franchisor out there will attempt to market their product and downplay other franchises. What you want to realize here is that their goal and game is to have successful franchisees but that does not prevent them from possibly making a wrong fit with you. You are your best advocate. Keep your head and do not let their enthusiasm become overwhelming to you. ‘`

Our own blog
    <http://foodsupplementcenter.com/

2. Feb 21, 2011: Greenway Reacts To Being Named Franchise Player | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Feb 21, 2011: Tweets that mention Vikings Blog | Greenway Reacts To Being Named Franchise Player « -- Topsy.com
  4. Feb 22, 2011: Vikings Playing Tag « Purple Pants, Green Jersey