Taking An OL At #12 A Mockery?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 10, 2011 – 3:06 pm

It’s a bit early to begin analyzing mock drafts on a regular basis – our annual Mock Madness feature will return in March – but I ran across a few early mocks and thought it might make for good conversation here on the blog during a slow week. I think it’ll spark good conversation because the 3 mock drafts I found project the Vikings to take a player at a position other than QB.

Obviously QB is perceived by many to be the Vikings biggest need during the offseason, so many expect the Vikings will use their 1st-round pick (#12 overall) on a young QB. But maybe they won’t. Perhaps the Vikings QB of the future can be found in later rounds. Only time will tell us what happens. In the meantime, though, let’s take a closer look at whom the Vikings might choose at #12 if that player is not a QB.

The 3 mock drafts I stumbled upon today were on Sports Illustrated’s website (SI.com) and ESPN.com. Don Banks is the Sports Illustrated writer with a mock draft on SI.com and he has the Vikings taking Colorado OT Nate Solder with their 1st-round pick. Solder stands at 6-8, 314 pounds and is very well-regarded in college football circles. He was Colorado’s starting LT and was named the Big 12’s Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2010. He’s also a consensus All-America and was a finalist for the Outland Trophy (nation’s top lineman).

On ESPN.com, draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. also projects the Vikings to take Solder. “Durable, smart and a guy who sustains his blocks, Solder is my top-rated tackle, a position that usually would be gone before this stage,” Kiper says. Kiper’s colleague at ESPN, Todd McShay, has the Vikings taking an OT, too. But his projection is Tyron Smith out of the University of Southern California. “Offensive line is not Minnesota’s biggest need but Smith is emerging as the top offensive tackle in the class with his natural feet and athleticism, and you can never go wrong drafting good offensive linemen,” McShay says.

So there you have it, 3 football observers who regularly post mock drafts project the Vikings to take an OT with their 1st-round pick. But my question is, would an OT be able to make an impact on the Vikings in 2010? I’m not sure that he could. I believe Bryant McKinnie has actually had a solid past 2 seasons – contrary to public opinion – and I think Phil Loadholt is on the right track at RT with a bright future in the NFL. I’m not against adding more depth along the OL, but I also want the #12 overall pick to be an impact player.

Perhaps the Vikings could take an OT in the 1st round and consider moving him to an interior position, with the intention to eventually move that player back to OT when an opportunity arises? Either way, I thought it was notable to see 3 different mock drafters project the Vikings taking an OT at a time when many Vikings fans perceive QB as the #1 need.

What say you Vikings fans? Let us know in the comments section below this entry.

UPDATE: McShay has issued a new mock draft and projects the Vikings to take DE Robert Quinn out of the University of North Carolina. “Quinn falls here because of the suspension that cost him the entire 2010 season, and the Vikings take advantage,” McShay says. “Their defense is aging, and two of their defensive ends — starter Ray Edwards and backup Brian Robison — are free agents. The team would like to find its future franchise quarterback here, but Locker needs too much time to develop.”

Tags:

122 Responses to “Taking An OL At #12 A Mockery?”

1. By PurpleNation on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey where’d everybody go?

2. By PurpleNation on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Am I the only one that didn’t miss this?

“I believe Bryant McKinnie has actually had a solid past 2 seasons – contrary to public opinion – and I think Phil Loadholt is on the right track at RT with a bright future in the NFL.”

ROFL

3. By Ham on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Why would you draft a tackle in the 1st 15 picks? The OL’s biggest need is a center, next would be Gaurd. If you go OL in the first trade down into the 20s, none of them are good enough to be taken with the 12th pick, and most Centers/Guards aren’t usually taken in the first round anyway. Matt Birk was a 6th round pick.

If they stay at #12 I’d go QB, DL, or CB (not really any mid round CBs, just early and late)

4. By PurpleNation on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

#4 shouldn’t of have to take all the beating that he did this past season “IF” the tackles and center(s) were actually doing their jobs right and being a rock (Most of the Time) to give #4 more then two seconds to fling it then it could’ve been us in the BIG game!

WHAT SAY YOU?!

5. By Justin F on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

PurpleNation, alot of regulars left the blog for a while. However, there’s been Packer trolls running amok around here. Be warned.

6. By Adam on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I support getting an O lineman with the #1. Joe Webb has shown off his athleticism in some pretty tight spots and I predict that he will only get better. Getting a rookie QB is like hitting the reset button. Why do it? Especially if the target is Cam Newton since he is very similar to Webb. So if the Vikings stick with Webb as their QB or find a veteran, then an O lineman is a very sensible pick.

7. By Tim on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

i think the vikings need to at least get rid of mckinnie or loadholt they are both so Fu**ing big adrian peterson at times has a hard time getting around them with the vikings running game as good as it is i think they should try to get smaller Oline guys to make more running room for adrian peterson and toby gerhart

8. By Tim on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

good point Adam.

9. By sheaff44 on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

you can not blame the tackles for all favres hits or the offense. for one favre hung onto the ball way to long at times. that entire offense was out of sync and never really found a rythm. and when you wind up throwing the ball more than run it gets a bit predictable

10. By Tim on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

i suppose last season could have just been a fluke year because that same Oline were great in 2009.

11. By Bleed Purple on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I think that a center should be taken in the later rounds as someone has said before. I think the first thing that needs to be decided on is the QB position. I think we should take a QB with the 12 pick that has a good pocket presence but can still make a play with his feet. Not a Vick style but more like Brett showed us in 2009. We either need to take a tackle later on or teach Mr. Loadholt how to adhere to a snap count! SKOL VIKINGS!

12. By Carl K on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall – I will agree with your comment that McKinnie had a solid past 2 years – he did make the probowl in 09. And Loadholt looked solid as a rookie in 09. But in 2010, I would have to say they both UNDERACHIEVED. I think they are better than what they showed this year. I think with the right coaching and workout program, they are capable of performing at a much higher level.

Nate Solider is 6-8… that is way too tall to move him inside. And I don’t think a team would use the 12th pick for a guard. Loadholt may also be too tall to move inside? McKinnie was a first round pick. Loadholt was a second round pick. I think the Vikings will think it is too early to give up on our OT that we have.

As much as I respect the boys at ESPN – and as much as I love Nate Solder – I just don’t think the Vikings will move in that direction unless the top 2 QBs and top 2 CBs are off the board.

Mike, you talked about finding an impact player with the 12th pick… I would have to say Robert Quinn DE is the biggest impact guy we have a shot at. Quinn opposite of Alen would be very hard to stop and would instantly make our DB look much better. Ray Edwards is a free agent, who many people think will be gone.

13. By Matt on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I like the idea of a left tackle with our first round pick. We could shuffle guys around on the o line, maybe move loadholt to gaurd and mckinney to right tackle. I also think we should then draft some help in the secondary or perhaps a QB in the second round.

14. By Aceviking on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I think the top priority is a QB. I agree with Carl that Loadholt and Mckinnie both underacheived. Also, I honestly don’t think that we should waste our early picks on a DB. I don’t know how many of you remember, but Cedric Griffin will be back with Antoine Winfield. Chris Cook will be back too, and I think he will be better next year when he learns a little more. So, bottom line is, get a Quarterback.

15. By Julian S on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Personally, I would support drafting a safety in the first round. Our defensive back play was absolutely horrendous this year. In my opinion the Vikings should trade their first round pick for something lower in the first round, then take a safety in the first round, a solid tackle or center in the second round, and then pick up a great under the radar quarterback in the 3rd round (Colin Kaepernick, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton)

16. By Anon on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I would not be upset with drafting either a OL or DB with the 12th pick. Please dont draft Cam Newton! I don’t think that will happen either. I wouldn’t be upset if the took the 2nd QB off the board but I think we should fix up the other wholes first, specifically OL, so that he would be able to get the ball to our star recievers. I like McKinnie and Loadholt even thought they didn’t do this best this season but there definitally needs to be some changes on the line. If we were to take a great DB with the pick I say move Winfield to SS and have the rest of the safeties compete for the FS spot. Winfield is losing his speed with his age anyways so he’ll do better with a little cusion. Also his tackling is still strong so he’ll help out the run D more at SS.

17. By Anon on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Sorry about all the grammer/typeos I was in a hurry

18. By Bryan on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Not to change the subject, but is anyone heading up north for Artic Blast? Always a great time, if so see ya in Garrison!!!

19. By VikesfaninNO on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

GET MIKE POUNCEY!!!

20. By Loomis on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I agree Mike Pouncey at center would be great

21. By Justin on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I don’t have a problem with drafting an OT at #12. I think McKinnie would be a great fit at RT as he starts to age, and Loadholt would make a better guard because his foot quickness is not ideal for a tackle. I think our line would be shored up quickly with a starting lineup of Solder, Hutch, Sullivan, Loadholt, and McKinnie (the only weakness being Sullivan). Besides, most of the quarterbacks I prefer have a 2nd round value. The only QB I would consider at #12 is Cam Newton, who is risky, but has an enormous upside.

22. By James on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Vikings should take a look to draft safety quinton carter in the first round 2nd round qb

23. By DRS on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

We need players like Tarkenton, Tingelhoff, Bob Grim, Milt Sunde.

24. By DRS on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Is there any one of that caliber in the draft, or free agency? Men who can play in good times, as well as bad times, good weather and bad, outdoors as well as indoors, Men with true grit.

25. By DRS on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

They are going to replace the roof of the Metrodome; why do that if you are going to tear down the dome any way. Unless you are going to build a new football only stadium to go along with the Metrodome, that is the only way it makes sense to me.

26. By DRS on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Got to go, G0D bless U all.

27. By Titus on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Does it make sense to spend close to a billion for a facility used just a few months a year for 8 games? They should make sure there is a roof so concerts and other events can be held there.

28. By Mark B on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I think Loadholdt is a little too big (tall) to move inside. I do however, find it ironic that it seems that most of the big runs come when AP runs right vs. left – running away from the side of the line the Vikes spend the most $$ on. That being said, I think with the coaching change this offensive line will look more like the group that took the field in 09 vs 2010.

I also like the idea of moving Winfield to SS. With Griffin and Cook coming back next season, the need for a DB change does lessen. Having a pair of 6′ CB’s would be unreal. Give Winfield a cushion on passing downs and the freedom at SS to play the run and you are going to have some BIG hits in the backfield on backs/QB’s.

On draft day, I would like to see the Vikes move down to say 25th or so, maybe pick up a 3rd rounder for the first (I’m looking at you NE *wink*) and grab OL/DE first round and a quality later round sleeper QB like Dalton.

29. By Jeremy on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if the Vikes should acquire another fullback, if they don’t already. That and utilize Kleinsasser more effectively. I wish he had better ball-handling skills. He didn’t do so bad this year regarding that, however. Just a couple of thoughts~ Laters~

30. By paul on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Take the best player available with the exception being at running back.

That offense line underachieved for the pass two years, so expect the same from them this year..

31. By Frederick Jones on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Well I certainly do not have a problem with picking Solder in the first round. There have been some good offensive linemen drafted in the first round. Ron Yary was drafted #1 in the entire draft in 1968. He is now in the HOF.

I disagree that Mckinnie had a good year. Even he would not say that!!!

32. By Titus on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I also disagree about McKinnie and would go further– that the O Line was not good this past year— but I do think McKinnie could be a good player again– and Loadholt could too, if given the disciplined training.

33. By JT on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I would say that we should go for a CB to shore up the secondary. I can’t count how many times that our secondary got beat on the long pass, or big plays run past them. Winfield is out only strong player back there, and he spent most of the time injured.

With regards to the QB position, I say that we stick with Webb. He showed grteat talent and potential in the last part of the season, and with some refinement, I think that he will make an excellent QB for us in a season or two.

I highly doubt that this season will being us to the Superbowl, considering how much the team is in shambles and with all of the skill currently being hoarded in Green Bay. I think that with Webb being refined, the OL getting there heads straight (I don’t think a change is necessary there), and the secondary getting beefed up, We could get #2 in the division and a Wild Card.

34. By The TR on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you Ham, please select a Center, I was hoping that the Vikes could’gotten Pouncey last year but the Steelers grabbed him just ahead of us. Maybe we can get his brother?

35. By DaVikings on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Nope, don’t believe either tackle is that good! McKinnie gets bold over alot, and for the size of loadholt he doesn’t block much and makes way to many penalties.

36. By animal26 on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

sadly it will be awhile before we even see the playoffs. there are way too many needs. The defensive line was pretty bad and looking to only get worse, the corners don’t look so great, the offensive line really stinks (Steve hutch is the exception) and we have nobody for qb. This is probably going to be 2-4 year before the vikings are even in the hunt for the playoffs.

37. By animal26 on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Besides, with the lockout coming eventually. Why is anyone talking about a new season anyway? Probably won’t be any season because neither side is willing to compromise on a new CBA.

38. By Crandell on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

Here are Vikings positions that need to be address CB, S, DL, OL, & QB. I believe taking the best available player in at these positions.

39. By Mike B on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure if an OT for a first pick would be good. What do we do with the current OTs assuming that the are playing up to speed. QBs last Draft fell a lot lower and could happen again. But as always they will pick best availible player at the time. They passed up on QBs last season to most eveyone’s disapproval,but they don’t have a Vet under contract this year. I still think a QB pick lurks there at #12.

40. By chrisw on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

I don’t hate the idea of improving the offensive line. At times you just have to sit back and laugh because it was so frustrating. However I REALLY don’t like the idea of just saying Webb looked good, let’s stick with him and call it ok. Teams without a franchise quarterback do nothing in this league,and while it is too early to say one way or another on Webb, I think it would be stupid to run with him and no other option after just 2 games that weren’t THAT impressive. I think Jackson proves that just because a guy is athletic doesn’t mean he can play QB. Jackson did have his moments of looking decent too.

41. By Ryan on Feb 10, 2011 | Reply

OT is definitely not a need for the Vikings. We do need more depth on the O-line, but a 4th or later draft pick will be fine while we use the other ones to select other positions of need. Our O-line played great in 2009 and I see them getting back there next year. I consider our biggest need on the O-line as RG not center because I think that Sullivan does a much better job blocking and recognizing blitzes than Herrea, who was the weak link in 2009 and then didn’t play at all in 2010. As for QB, I don’t think that we should use a first round pick to get a QB with questions. We should look to free agency to get a QB for the next year or 2 (Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer) and either draft a QB to develop or look for Joe Webb to get better. WR is a position no one is talking about, and I think it is our #2 offensive need. Camarillo is solid, but is a 4th WR at best. Harvin is great but we need him in the slot. Rice is going to be a FA and Berrian has really underperformed since he joined the Vikings. A good receiver in the 2nd round who can play opposite of rice and make plays down the field would be great for the offense.

On defense, the top priority should be resigning Greenway. Besides that, our LB core is great and we have a lot of depth here. Cook needs another year to develop before we can decide whether he will be the long time starter at CB or not so I would hold off on drafting a CB. Safety is a position of dire need. We had 4 interceptions total by safeties last year and only 2 the year before. This is horrible compared to some of the other top teams in the league, players like Ed Reed and Jairus Byrd who can lead the league in interceptions and be a game changer for their team. DL is our second biggest need on defense, especially if Edwards doesn’t get resigned. Hopefully, Robinson will stay and he can play opposite of Allen next year with Griffin developing as his backup. We will need a new DT to play with Kevin Williams. We have some good depth their, but none of them are of starting calliber.

Positions of need: QB, WR, C/G, DL, S

42. By mr smiff on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

@ sheaf44
    Favre hung on to the ball too long? Are you joking? Since when is 2 nanoseconds too long? And who do you want him to throw to if the WRs aren’t given much time to get open? Oh well. I guess there will always be someone trying to blame Favre for our season. Can’t do anything about that.

43. By tim on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

If I were building this team,the offensive line is exactly where I would start.As NFL players go,o-lineman are relitively inexpensive.I would try to build a top notch line to open up holes for Adrian and protect our quarterback.Realistically we need 2 quarterbacks.I would draft a young guy and then sign a solid veteran to help nurture along the young guys.A superstar signal caller is’nt needed if there is good protection and a stellar running game.I would use the rest of our picks to draft defense.

44. By Panda27 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Yes we need a Quarterback. But can I say I’M GLAD BEVELLE is gone. I’d like to trade our pick to the eagles for KOLB!

45. By Carl K on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Ryan talked about the WR position a little. One impact guy we could select with the 12th pick is Julio Jones WR from Alabama. He is 6-4 220 and can run a 4.45 – 40. In 2010 he caught 78 p@sses for 1,133 yards 14.5 ave. He could be an option for the Vikings…however, Joe Webb has that same size, speed and skill set as J.Jones (just raw as a WR). If we draft a QB in the first 2 rounds, I would look for Webb to move to WR. I think the Vikings will bring in a free agent QB anyway to keep the seat warm. Maybe Shaun Hill or Matt Moore.

Gabbert or Mallett – 1st round. (if they are not draft available, draft OL or best available)
    Locker, Newton, Devlin, Kaepernick, Ponder, Dalton – 2nd round (if none of those guys are available, draft DB or best available)
    If we can’t draft a QB early than Joe Webb is our QB. If we land a QB (and I think we will) I would move Webb to WR… but mix him in at QB…maybe have a red zone package for him. He is has been very good near the endzone in his limited snaps.

46. By Carl K on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I can really is the Patriots wanting Julio Jones… So I would trade back in the first round and with them. They have 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

47. By Carl K on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Peter King has said, with the an unresolved CBA agreement, teams will be able to trade draft positions but not pl@yers.

48. By gunner on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the post, I think we need 3 or 4 rookies in this draft to come in straight away and make a difference. QB, Centre, Corner, WR. We know that we need a QB for the future (poss Webb but too green who could be moved to the 3rd WR instead of Berrin) Newton would be a good selection just because he is a winner (just like Tebow and Bradford) you can’t have too many winners on your team and noboby has mention that he can not pass?. Sullivan is not a great centre good as a back up and possibly do a job at Guard. Pouncey would be the best opition not sure if he will be there in the second round. Then you the DBs, I defo agree with moving winfield to ss – massive improvement – Cook should be back and give us a full season, then you have Griffin (who might not be the same player) and Allen who in my eyes played better towards the end of the season but still got burned too many times. WR – Berrin is not a threat anymore (which is why I still would have kept Moss) and does not bring anything to the offence so a replacement, move Webb or Free Agent is best opition her.

49. By bubbs on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

This site sucks at posting my comments. Argue with me @blashpemerr

50. By luke on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

i think the vikings should franchise ray edwards and then trade him to the eagles for kolb, pay to get greenway and try to retain rice. then i would like to see the vikings trade out of the 12 spot and pick up a 3rd rounder. with their 1st rounder (maybe in the 20’s) take pouncy, 2nd round they can go after a guy like g/t marcus cannon (tcu), and with their 3rd rounder get marvin austin. 4th round draft tolliver of lsu, trade one of their 5th rounders for tenard jackson the other 5th rounder get an olb, and 6-7th rounders go best available player. but i have a terrible feeling that this will be another terrible draft by the vikings. and if their is no free agency, we could be looking at a 4-12 season

51. By Carl K on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

According to ESPN’s draft value chart… the #12 pick has a points value of 1200. The Patriots #28 pick has a value of 660. That leaves 540 points to trade with. The patriots #33 pick is worth 580 points. The Patriots #60 pick is worth 300 and the #74 pick is worth 220.

We could get a late second (#60) and early third (#74) if we trade back with the Patriots. Or we might be able to get the #33 pick if the Patriots really want to move up. I think the Patriot could use a WR like Jolio Jones. If Gabbert and Mallet are gone we should look to move back.

52. By Bauln on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes should look at signing Canadian QB James Rakochy

53. By Phil on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

“I believe Bryant McKinnie has actually had a solid past 2 seasons”

Wha…? McKinnie doesn’t have what it takes to start at LT. I say we trade our first round pick for a worse one and for a 3rd round pick, take a solid LT move McKinnie to RT and then with our 2nd and 3rd round picks grab a safety or corner and maybe even a QB.

Go Vikes!

54. By Leighton on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

never get someone from Canada…..this isn’t hockey

55. By Shaner on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie is the Vikings best O-lineman right now, not sure why they would replace him. He became the main scapegoat for an ancient QB who couldn’t get out of his own way, but he actually graded out better than any other Vikings O-lineman (and better than any other LT in the NFC Central, I might add). I would love to see a stud on the interior though, and if we drafted somebody that could come in an dominate on the inside right away at #12, it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

56. By Kodeman on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

The things is, there is so much depth this year at OL. They project at least 10 OL are first round material. So why would you draft an OL in the first round, when you can still get a very good OL in the second round.

The problem is, I don’t think any of the QB’s in this year’s draft can be the “impact” player you speak of. I think the best option is to bring in a veteran for this year and next, but draft a project QB. Try and build web and the person you get from this year’s draft for the future and see which one performs better. In this scenario I like bringing in McNabb for 2 seasons, drafting Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd round (would have to do some trading to get 3rd as we wasted that on Moss), and let Stanzi and Webb fight for the future spot.

The only reason I go with McNabb is he’s good enough to possibly win us some games, plus he’s a great mentor. Look how he helped reshape Vick’s career. And Vick does actually give A LOT of credit to McNabb for where he’s at now.

57. By Josh on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

In my opinion we should draft the best player available that isn’t a QB with our first pick. We need to address CB. Winfield is old, Griffins coming back off of 2 torn ACL’s on both knees will pretty much take all the fight out. With our 2nd pick I think QB Pat Devlin from Delaware or Dalton from TCU is the way to go. They are both smart, accurate, no character issues and pro ready QBs. Cam Newton played 1 year in a pro style and just seems like he would be more of a mix of Daunte/Vince Young. SEC QB’s other than the Manning’s have a hard time succeeding in the NFL.

58. By Bauln on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

James Rakochy would be a better choice than Vick

59. By andy on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

this team can win next year. i dont want to start over with a rookie qb. get mcnabb or palmer, and lets play football.

60. By CAHILL on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

P.Williams is going to retire. I believe the 1st two picks will be defense. DT & LB. Leber play has fallen off & Henderson is injury prone. I think they may trade down. Get a 3 & draft a big strong DT to hold the point on 1&2 then bring in Guilon or Kennedy on 3.

61. By vincent hagen on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

qb or trade the pick

62. By 4thememories on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Go get #4, he still gives us the best chance of winning!! God, our team stinks.

63. By Bauln on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Sign Canadian QB James Rakochy

64. By LAVikes on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Did some moron just write that he thought “Phil Loadholt is on the right track at RT and has a bright future in the NFL”

Hey mister blog writer, did you watch any Vikings games? that has to be THE STUPIDIST THING ANYONE HAS EVER SAID ABOUT THE VIKES. No wonder the team s**ks.

65. By 4thememories on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

One more for #4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

66. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Either trade down to the Pats or the Rams who ever wants Julio Jones more. Likely get a 3rd or hopefully a 2nd in the deal. Then draft Tackle Anthony Constonzo or however you spell his last name. Then draft C/G Stephen Wisneski and again not sure of his last name think he played at Penn. If they get the Pats first 2nd round pick. Then draft Qb Pat Devlin. With original 2nd. If they get a 3rd draft a saftey. 4th a saftey if they don’t get a 3rd. If they get a 3rd draft Rb Kendall Hunter as a true change of pace back. With the two 5ths draft secondary help. With the 6th and 7th draft OLine competion and a linebacker.

67. By Shaner on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering when a GB troll would show up.

68. By LAVikes on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Couple of years and minniesodians won’t have to worry about an NFL team anymore. c u n LA

69. By jjj on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

New England’s biggest needs are DE and WR. I can agree that if guys like Robert Quinn DE, Julio Jones WR, Adrian Clayborn DE, Cameron Jordan DE are still on the board, NE could be interested in moving up with us.
    So if we traded with them this is what we could get.
    @28 – QB- Locker, Devlin, Ponder, Kaepernick, (maybe Newton and Mallett fall this far)
    @43 – C -Stefen Wisnewski (best OL)
    @60 (from NE) – Bruce Carter OLB (Leber and Erin Henderson are both FA)
    @74 (from NE) – Deunta Williams – Safety

70. By Shawn on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie was solid 2 years ago and showed his true colors again all the way back to the waterboat party … he even said him self he got fat and is hiring a personal trainer to get back in shape …

How can you suggest he had a good year? and he’ll be 32 next season and he has never been anything better than solid so he might have 2 solid seasons left this is the year to trade him and get something as well as find a replacement … what would Belichick do?

he has never been Gary Zimmerman, Jackie Slater,

THIS IS THE TIME TO GET SOME VALUE FOR HIM AND A PERFECT TIME TO GET OUR LT FOR THE NEXT 10-12 YEARS

71. By Shawn on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I agree Loadholt has a bright future hes only 24

72. By crazyviking on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I would agree taking a OL in first round. Oline needs more depth. loadholt was a disapointment last year. DE in 2nd round. It’s not a year to draft a QB, it’s slim pickings in that position. Webb showed ALOT of promise….. lets hurry up and get back to playing some football. skol vikes

73. By Bauln on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

What about James Rakochy, has anyone looked into his stats?

74. By 4fan on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I think QB should be the first thing looked at. And I think that Ryan Mallett would be a much better choice than Cam Newton. Newton should be moved from QB to WR or TB. He’s not a prostyle QB. Think that Mallett is a much stronger QB in the pocket and has a lot more arm than Newton….

75. By Kevin on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I think they should take an OT. I don’t think McKinnie is that great and if the O-line doesn’t improve, it does not matter who the Vikings QB is. Trade for a veteran QB and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to learn under the veteran.

76. By CAHILL on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Change ur name 2LA trashman

77. By mr smiff on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

WHO CARES HOW MCKINNIE GRADED? HE STILL STINKS!!! GET RID OF HIM!!!

78. By mr smiff on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

“I BELIEVE BRYANT MCKINNIE HAS ACTUALLY HAD A SOLID PAST 2 SEASONS.”

HEY MIKE, WHAT COLOUR IS THE SKY ON YOUR PLANET???

79. By mr smiff on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

MCKINNIE AT RT? ARE YOU FELLAS SERIOUS???

80. By mr smiff on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

MCKINNIE PUTS THE “OFFENSIVE” IN OFFENSIVE LINE!!! TRADE HIM PLEASE!!!

81. By guest on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Mckinnie and loadholt need to be gone slow like sloths, it amazes me how mckinney is still a viking.

82. By Rudso on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Honestly the Vikings can go in so many directions for their 1st round pick at #12. They need to figure out their priorities. I wouldn’t mind a play maker in the secondary, a safety that has potential to be a big play guy like T. Polumalu (I KNOW I spelled it wrong) or Ed Reed down the line would be huge. Maybe with a 1st round safety and Chris Cook coming back from his injury the Vikings defense can once again be feared. Last years defense play was embarrassing to even watch considering how good they used to be.

83. By LAVikes on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

And don’t forget to fix the roof. Are there any positions where you don’t need someone? Give up already, your team is soooo gone to LA.

84. By Vikings fan 1972 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Purple nation, Back off Bryant Mckinnie! There is only one person out there with the right to criticize him, and it ain’t you. If you don’t like the way he plays, then don’t watch. Fans back their teams regardless.

85. By Vikings fan 1972 on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

You know, I swear that my boyfriend the packers fan is right… You guys call yourselves fans but all you do is complain about this player or another. We had a tough year. There were a lot of people to blame, including the “fans”. If we want to keep a team in Minnesota, then quit complaining and start doing something to help.

86. By Frederick Jones on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

The Still Hot Smokin’ Gun:

This past season cannot be blamed on any one person. In hindsight we can say alot of things. The facts are…alot of people took things for granted after we were 13-5 in 2009, and barely missed the Super Bowl.

87. By moorevikes on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

okay everyone i got a question for ya. first and foremost, been a fan since 1990, adrian peterson is in my opinion the best running back i’ve ever had the pleasure to watch play. that said, what if we could get a hershel walker like trade, do we do it and go with gerhart at number one. could mean the difference of 1-3yrs rebuilding to 3-5. just a thought. i know no one has even thought of asking the question, h-ell i died a little on the inside just asking it.

88. By Dalton on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

I personally think a OT is a perfect choice, their arent too many QB’s in this draft that you can see and go THATS guy will be a superstar……the whole DE thing we already got a STEAL last year in Everson Griffen, he hasnt been able to show anything yet because he has seen limited snaps, give him a chance and see what happens, its not like their arent very man DE’s in college still that can be JUST as good as Quinn, trade McKinnie and get a 3rd round pick back because thats pretty much all he is worth……then we can look at getting depth at DE and possibly a QB that may or may not turn out to be something in the NFL….the only QB that had the best chance of been something amazing is still sitting in Stanford University!!!

89. By Tim on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

FU*K YOU LAVikes

90. By CNYSmitty on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Mckinnie and Loadholt keep their jobs and the Vikings take a center/guard in the 4th or 5th round. Over the years smart, physical top notch corners have moved to safety near the end of their careers in the NFL. I feel Antoine Winfield should be moved to FS. If one of the 2 top corners slips to pick 12 then take them or maybe move up to get one of them. If not you take the best available player, which would more than likely be a D lineman who could make an immediate impact.

I’m really interetsed in what the Vikings do in free agency. I would love to see Carson Palmer get a chance at a fresh start with the Vikings. Classy guy who has all the tools to get us to the big show.

Greenway is a MUST resign for the defense.

If we dont get Rice back as WR then who, maybe one of the Jets free agents???

Toby came on at the end, I cant wait to see Adrian and Toby hammer teams into submission next year.

91. By Steve on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike,
    Why not ask Brett Favre if they need help on the line. He was literally on his back or drivin into the turf all year. Our line was terrible!!!!

92. By Tim on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

i think our deffencive four are still one of the best in the NFL there is in my mind Jared Allen the best DE in the NFL i think Kevin Williams is easily one of the best DT”s in the NFL he just did not have a good season next season Allen & Williams will be explosive as ever i think Pat Williams is getting old and kind of slowing down a bit so i think the vikings need to bring in Letroy Guion at DT that guy is pure thunder waiting for a chance to strike.not only that if Kevin Williams continues to struggle we got Fred Evans and i think he is pretty DAM good also and if things dont work out with Ray Edwards we have Everson Griffin and nobody”s really got a chance to see what he”s got at the pro leval so i think our deffencive line still has a lot of options so i wouldent waste a draft pick on our D Line

93. By dt28olb on Feb 11, 2011 | Reply

Everyone is saying B mac underachieved liked its some big surprise…. his ENTIRE nfl career he has been underachieving. Give him away for all i care.

94. By Carl K on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

@dt28olb- Mckinnie is not my favorite player either – but I wouldn’t give away a former 1st round pick and probowl player. He was not the only underachiver on the Vikings…. AP ,Greenway, and EJ are probably the only guys have didn’t fall off from 09 to 2010. This team can only go in two directions in 2011. UP or NO FOOTBALL.

95. By Jeremy on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, Tim!!!!!!!!

96. By oldschoolvikesfan on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I think we should draft a DE at #12 and draft a QB in the 2nd round. Bryant Mckinnie has to show up in 2011 I know we had alot of offensive line issues for what we pay him he shouldnt have an alright season he should be a leader.

97. By zach on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

We have to pick a QB here. Joe Webb may be a little better than Jackson, but thats not saying much. We need a true quarterback, someone who can sit in the pocket and throw the ball. Gabbert and Newton are the consensus top two quarterbacks, and then the QB position drops off because Mallett has attitude problems and Locker just isnt ready. There are only two teams who pick before us that might take a QB, the Cardinals and the Redskins, and if one of those two teams pick a WR or DL like some mock drafts are predicting, the Vikings are crazy to pass on one of the two QBs. I prefer Newton because of his mobility and height, but like I said, we just need to make sure we atleast have a QB who can stand in the pocket and control pressure while making a good throw. If they dont get a top QB, the Vikings will not be a playoff team next year, I hate to say. Joe Webb is NOT the answer.

98. By Meekay on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Personally, I’m not sure that we should draft a QB at all. We already have a project QB in Webb, who I think will be good in the future. What we really need is an experienced QB from Free Agency if we can get one. Regardless, I don’t think I’d spend the first few rounds on one. I’d rather see those picks go to young, talented DBs. We got killed in our secondary all year. If we don’t fix that I doubt it’ll matter much who our QB is.

99. By mr smiff on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

McKinnie had no business being in that Pro Bowl. I for one wasn’t sorry he got fired from it.

100. By mr smiff on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

Nor was I surprised.

101. By Woodboat on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I really like the thought of picking an OLT with the first pick. I don’t think there is a QB in this years draft that is head and shoulders above the pack. Get Stanzi or some other in the 2nd, and get a LT to guard his backside. Move McKinney to RT and move Loadholt to Nebraska. Then go DB, DB, DB, DB with the rest of your picks and hope a few of them hit.

102. By dale swanson on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I thought the Vikes Safeties played poorly all year. We need a physical safety like Browner, then maybe a beefier Center. Might try an outside linebacker with your next pick-Leber is not the answer.

103. By Woodboat on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I find all of your posts intrigueing. Everyone has a different idea what the priority should be in the draft and what the relative value is of each individual player. VF 1972 apparantly thinks that McKinney is above reproach from the fans, you know, the ones that pay to see him underachieve. Interesting viewpoint VF 1972. I also find it interesting that we fans can affect a positive change in our beloved organization in a manner that doesn’t involve complaining and voting with our feet. I’m not sure how this is done, so if any of you have any ideas, please feel free to share.

104. By kong on Feb 12, 2011 | Reply

I always say keep Joe Webb as the Quarterback, he showed way better potential than Tjack did. in 09 TJack threw 3 interceptions against the Bills, when Joe Webb played, he threw no interception, did i mention that Webb did played against the almighty Eagles Defense??

needless to say, I would be really suprised if the vikings drafted another young QB in the roster when we already have one.

Use the 1st pick on a Center or a Linemen OR a Safety/CB

105. By Gubber on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Everything depends on what the team can get done in free agency. Would like to see them pick-up a cornerback to play opposite Chris Cook, and an experienced QB to be a starter this year and tutor both Webb and whomever else they choose, (would like to see Locker or Ponder ). Both have high football IQ’s.
    I really believe the Vikes should try to move down and pick-up another pick in the second round. Solder, Castonzo, Poncey, Sherrod ,or Carimi should still be available in the late first round. Would be happy getting Ponder in the second and with hopefully the additional pick select North Carolina’s Deunta Williams at free safety. Can’t have enough strength down the middle.

106. By Brian on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

DO NOT TAKE A QB!!! You already have one….Hire a Veteran QB to help in developmental areas but the answer at QB is Joe Webb. I promise that if they stick with him he will be the future of that franchise. If you pass him by its just another mistake made by an organization already plagued with bad decision making. Beef up the O Line and D Line. You already have the other tools that you need. Dont waste your time on Halfbacks etc. Just my thoughts!!

107. By Brian on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Oh Yeah and “Zach” to say say Webb is alittle better than TJack???? WTF man do you even watch football…… Webb has better legs, better arm, better accuracy, amazing pocket presence for a first year kid and fast fast fast. Way better than Jackson…. Sorry brother but I promise you he is gonna be the next big quarter back. Or we could draft one of the other top 15 QBs in the draft and watch him fail like most do….. Just saying!

108. By C. Carter on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

You gotta love this time of year…all kinds of hope and expectations coming from everyone….Mallet has the best arm of all the QB’s out there…but he also has an IQ similiar to Terry Bradshaw…who acutally didn’t do too badly when he played….If they don’t go QB they should get the best guy they can on Defense..either a DE, corner, or safety…M. Williams won the humanitarian award voted on by all the WR’s and RB’s in the league and needs more time to spend on charitable work for aging QB’s.

109. By Carl K on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

San Diego has two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks. They also need help at the WR position. I can see the Vikings moving back to the 18th spot and San Deigo moving up to the 12th spot and taking Julio Jones.

At pick 18, we could sill get one of the best OL (maybe Pouncey), or a QB (Locker, Mallett). In return we could get pick #82 in the 3rd round from San Diego.

110. By FloridaFan on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know how anyone can say Mckinnie had a solid season. game after game, rookie defensive linemen blew past him, untouched for a free shot on the QB. it’s inexcuseable for that to happen with a veteran tackle. it’s too early to give up on loadholdt. he’s still very young, he’s going to make some mistakes and if the vikes had a 3rd down back that could have picked up the blitz , he wouldn’t have looked so bad..

111. By Armon on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

I’m not entirely sure why anybody is convinced Webb is the future. I do not think taking a quaterback 1st would be a bad pick. Webb had a a chance to prove himself and do you know what he did he threw 0 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Yes he is athletic but he hasn’t given me any reasons to think he will lead us to a superbowl I would still concentrate on looking for a different franchise quaterback.

112. By Carl K on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

@Armon- Gabbert and Newton will probably go in the top ten. That leaves Mallet, which may have off the field issues or leadership problems??? And Locker, a very athletic kid, could be more inaccurate than Webb.

What leads you to believe Mallet or Locker could lead us to a superbowl any more than Joe Webb, Or any more than a second round QB like Deviln or Ponder or Dalton.

With that said, I think I would take Mallet with the 12th pick (probably not Locker). I would move Webb to WR, but I would have some packages where Webb takes snaps at QB. I agree I would take a QB in the first round. But I disagree that Joe Webb can not help lead the Vikings to a superbowl. If I were running the Vikings O – Joe Webb would play a very big role.

113. By Armon on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Well personally I would like Vince young to come here but it doesn’t seem that likely that he will. I wouldn’t really be that happy with mallet or Webb but unless the vikings decide to make a large effort in getting a quarterback which I think we should It looks like that what will end up happening. Ultimatly I think the Vikings should strive for a better QB whether trading up for looking else where then the draft. I do believe the vikings are a quarterback away from the superbowl and if we end up with Webb or another flop quarterback I think we will be looking at another disappointing season. I think the vikings should do what it takes to get a quarterback that we know can be solid. It will be worth whatever we give up for him

114. By Ben on Feb 13, 2011 | Reply

Phil Loadholt is hopeless, pretty sure he must have gave up more holding penalties than any other RT in the NFL heyy

115. By Dan on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

My opinion is that most of the people posting on here dont know jack about football. You can only do so much in one offseason. I personally think the Vikes biggest need this offseason is the o-line. Center to be more exact. Second is a wide reciever that can stay healthy. Rice could be a great reciever but he misses more games than he plays. Harvin could also be great but again he is iffy for playing each and every week. Yes the Vikes need a QB badly but what good will getting one do if you cant protect him and the oline cant open holes for the running game to take pressure off whom ever it may be? As for the defense yes they had their weaknesses but if the can get Greenway resigned they will be fine. They were the 10th rated defense in the league overall. Could use some safety help but its not a priority. The young guys they had playing at the end of the season did very well.

116. By Armon on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

The vikings were ranked 16th in sacks allowed this season kinda of middle of the road if you ask me… also they were the 18th ranked OL not the best but not the Vikings most pressing issue. What would getting an O-line or a wide reciever do for the team this year. We already have the components yea sidney rice was injured most of the season but obviously thats not gonna be the case every season harvin yea is question able but because of his abilities could be our best reciever regardless they are both pro bowl statuts recievers. An besides them We have Shiancoe and Camerillo very very solid recievers considering they are considered are 3rd and 4th best so I see no reason to pick up a reciever. The O-line yes could use improvement but does not need the improved ment nearly as much as our quarterback position does geeting an o line this year would not get us to the superbowl. We have the team to get to the superbowl we have for about 2 years now but pretty soon a lot of the players are going to be getting older and contracts ending. As for our defense even being ranked 10th doesn’t give us justification if you watched every game last year you would see that they actually were playing quite well with the exception sometimes being our secondary who had injurey problems as well. However they would of been ranked higher if we didn’t have a quarter back who threw for 11 touchdowns and 3 interceptions and then joe webb comes in rushs for 2 touchdowns throws for 0 and then throws 3 interceptions. so really our defense is solid our wide recievers are very talented and young are o line could use improvement but I don’t think at this point it should be our focus our quarterback is common knowledge as number one priority and it should be.

117. By LAVikes on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly, Hills that is. c u n LA

118. By Armon on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

i ment 11 touch downs and 19 interceptions for favre

119. By Armon on Feb 14, 2011 | Reply

Also the main problem was our turnovers which all of came pretty much from our quarterbacks. AP did his job and learned how to not fumble the ball this last season. We need a quarterback that will not turn the ball over or in other words one that is just plan better then a average rookie or Joe webb. until we do that having a little bit better of a o line wont do nearl as much for the team.

120. By Jeremy on Feb 15, 2011 | Reply

Mr. LaVikes you load up your little s**t-mobile and I don’t care where you go!!! Realllly far would be great!!!!!

2. Feb 10, 2011: Taking An OL At #12 A Mockery? | Vikings Stop Blog