A Couple Things To Watch Over The Weekend

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 3, 2011 – 8:02 am

The Vikings aren’t playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday but that doesn’t mean Minnesota football fans are left with nothing to anticipate. One current Viking and two former Vikings are up for important awards/honors over the weekend.

Former Vikings WR Cris Carter and DE Chris Doleman are two of 17 finalists for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2011 will be announced live on NFL Network on Saturday, February 5. The unveiling of the class will be made during a 90-minute special, Road to Canton: Hall of Fame Announcement Show: Class of 2011 presented by Van Heusen/JC Penney. The program airs live starting at 7 p.m. ET (6 p.m. CT)

S Madieu Williams joins Oakland Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha and Bears DE Israel Idonije as finalists for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award. The winner of the award will be announced live on FOX before Super Bowl XLV.

Be sure to tune into the coverage of both announcements to see if these Vikings will be recognized for achievements they certainly deserve.

Tags: , ,

70 Responses to “A Couple Things To Watch Over The Weekend”

1. By purple08 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Question? Who on here thinks the Vikings would have been better off had they not signed Brett Favre?

2. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I like the question… for me it cuts both ways. I love what Favre brought in 09. A little of that Farve magic… A little of that Farve toughness… Some of that farve boyish love and energy for the game…. It didn’t get any better. I think the team was better because of him.

However, with that said… if you are under contract, your butt needs to be at camp. Team leaders need to be at camp!!! No exceptions!! The tone for the season is established at camp!!! I think what is left of our coaching staff learned a lesson.

3. By VIKING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

they would not have been better the o line is what killed them this year period!

4. By Michael on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Favre wasn’t the problem…or at least not the only problem. Honestly the whole offense was worthless. Defense doesn’t win games.

5. By Jax on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

We LOVED him in 09!!!!! Hate him in 10, while Packer fans laughed at us and him both. That is what is known as “paybacks.” Just wait ’til they hire him as a coach in GB, then the stuff will really hit the fans!

6. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Purple8

Would the Vikings have done better in 2009 w/o Favre? If you can say yes to that question, then we would have been better off without him.

Most Packer fans respect the Vikings, and are cautious about teasing. The few obnoxious ones hurt the reputations of the true fan. It’s about winning not in beating the other guy down.

What goes around comes around.

7. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Injuries, weak offensive line, weak d-backs led to the disasterous 2010 season.

The Vikings should have required Favre to do his rehab with the team. Most of us would have said that before the 2010 season. Childress knew it to, that’s why he sent the trio down to Mississippi to get Favre. (Rather than go himself)

8. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

Are you for or against the 18 game schedule?

9. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Michael,

Your statement about the defense is classic Generation X.

Generation X tries to reinvent the wheel. Sorry, it’s already been invented !

10. By tooms21 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Man, all i know is that Leslie f. got his hands full for the next season, we are missing a solid QB. Jackson is good but not good enough for us, we need to look for a quality QB ASAP.

11. By Gary on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

The biggest mistake that the Vikings made last year was when they sent 3 guys down to get someone that can’t make up his flipping mind on what he was going to do. There said the Vikings will be a team to mess with next season. Give Webb the start at QB we will DOMINATE……………:)

12. By flobo4 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Farve taught the Vikes how to win again, something they really havn’t done since the 1998 meltdown. His fire, and do anything to win attitude, was contagous. They were so close in 2009-10 that the desire, attitude, and willingness to put everything on the line is still there. Farve was GREAT for the people in purple, but the time has began to rebuild.

13. By flobo4 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Webb is a JOKE!!! Trade up in the draft, if nessessary and get a real stud!!

14. By Cheapersmokes on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

If the team has any sense left they will trade Jackson for an empty keg of beer and let Webb run the team with a training camp under his belt. Maybe sign a washed up QB as a backup and forget about holding up the taxpayers for a new playpen….you want it then build it yourself like so many other teams have done and control ALL of the revenues.

15. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

@flobo4- Joe webb is a very special talent. He complete 59% of his p@sses his senior year at UAB (a bad football team that gave up over 32 points per game). 2299 yards 21 TDs to just 8 int. 150 rating. Joe also ran for 1424 yards and 11 more TDs. As a pro for the Vikings he is 54-89 for 477 yards and he has also rushed for 120 yards. I don’t think that is a JOKE!!!!! Not Bad at all!!!

The only way a rookie QB can beat Webb out of the starting job is… if the coaches decided to make him a WR. If we drafted a QB like Mallet, Gabbert, or Locker in the first round, I don’t think the Vikings staff would add pressure to them by asking them to compete against Webb. Webb would be moved to WR right after the draft.

16. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb will either be the starting QB for the Vikings or he will be moved to WR. Much like Brad Smith for the Jet. Smith is listed as a WR (no pressure on Sanchez) yet he takes more snaps at QB than the backup QBs do. Smith is a good kick returner, a good change of pace QB and a good #4 or 5 WR.

That is the smart way to use Webb if we draft a QB in the first round.

17. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Brad Smith’s senior year stats at Missouri in 2005 looked like this: 2304 yards p@ssing 13 tds to 9 ints 114 qb rating. 1301 yards rushing.

18. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb is 2 inches taller, 13 lbs bigger and runs a 4.46 40 time just like Brad Smith. Joe looks better in the pocket and has a much strong arm than Brad. If Joe Webb is a joke so is Brad Smith…you have to give the jets credit for getting the max value from Mr. Smith.

19. By sheaff44 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

morons what does this have anything to do with carter doleman or williams

20. By Dubes M on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I definetly think CC will get in this yr but Doleman will have to wait despite being very good. Also big concerns on O-line DT n maybe one linebacker that should be are focus. We will have a strong run game with a solid Defense n with Webb Sidney Healthy n Percy n others I think we will be fine. I do like the Tackle from Wisc. n Bruce C from NC ahight later

21. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

I know spelling doesn’t indicate one’s intelligence level, but it does influence the readers opinion of you!

22. By radzinwisconsin on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Hutch Seriously your thumb? I agree with the guy who said we paid way to many players for really doing nothing!

23. By Rick on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Ya I know it cuts both ways on the Brett Quiz, 09 was so much fun, then 2010, I was so hopeful. Specially when he finally showed up. Well we know the rest that story, so now every time I hear his name 1st thing that comes to mind is INT. sorry just sayin

24. By indianavikesfan on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Carter deserves to be the #1 entry into Canton this year! He will always be one of
    my all time favorite players to have seen play. Do you guys remember all the
    plays he made dragging the toes of both feet ,within inches of being out of bounds, leaning the rest of his body out of bounds, and making the catch!
    Automatic first down! Almost no way to defend against it. He made any QB he
    played with look better than they actually were. The man has always been a class act too. GOOD LUCK C CARTER, WE MISS SEEING YOU PLAY!

25. By indianavikesfan on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

New question here guys. I’ve read that our defensive backs coach, Joe Woods has an interview with the Eagles for defensive coordinator. My question is why
    is he still on our coaches roster?!!!!!!!!!! Will the Eagles reward a mediocre to
    lousy job performance with a higher profile job? I for one hope so, just to see him
    off our team. Coach Frazier did the right thing by letting the o line coaches go,
    but our d backs were lacking good play this year as well!! Maybe Coach Frazier
    feels he owes something to Joe Woods. Reminds me of the Chilly- Jackson
    relationship. Perhaps coach Woods has something more to offer this team than
    I can see. If you know what it could be, let the rest of us know.

26. By bob t. on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

i was a packer fan for 50 yrs. now im a vikings fan becuse of favre so if that makes me bad so bee it ,so you can say what you want i think he was the best qb ever thank you.

27. By D_Wang on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

No way you can say the Vikings were better off without Favre. If we hadn’t signed Favre, we would’ve been with either A)Tavaris Jackson or B) Donovan Mcnabb. Neither would’ve worked well either.

The first 3 or 4 losses were really close, and we were starting the season missing our best receiver and one of our two starting cornerbacks. After those games, the offensive line seemed to just give up, and Favre was getting hit left and right, it was ridiculous. What we did to Vick was what teams were doing to Favre all year, and Vick is like 10 years younger and twice as fast.

I don’t blame Favre for the season, he didn’t help sure, but there were plenty of issues elsewhere, and missing training camp, while somewhat disrespectful, would not have changed the fact that our offensive line couldn’t block a fly, or that his second best WR was an over-paid and underachieving bernard berrian for the first 8 weeks or so.

The only positive change that came last season was that AP learned how to hold onto the ball except when Bernard Berrian kicks it away, everyone else did worse while the season still mattered.

28. By moorevikes on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

hey fred jones, do you and your boyfriend titus ever get tired of correcting people? just curious.

29. By moorevikes on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

soooo bob are you going back to the pack or did we suck you in for the rest of your years?

30. By 12timeworld champs on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

bob you are an idiot. no one player is above the team. stay a Vikings fan while we go after our 13 th world championship

31. By 4eversteve on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

I’ve said many times that it didn’t matter who we had at quarterback, whether it was Favre, Brady, or Manning behind this current offensive line they were not going to be successful . They were not fundamentally sound in either their pass or run blocking techniques. This is why they must address this issue as a high priority in the fast approaching draft and free agency when they reach a new CBA . The Hiring of Jeff Davidson I believe is a step in the right direction, a tough hard nosed coach who won’t have a problem getting into the faces of guys who aren’t pulling their weight and coach them up on the sideline during a game. Something we never seen out of Pat Morris was in game adjustment, with the photo’s provided on every snap now days it was wasted opportunity to coach because all we witness was an O-line unit off sitting by themselves with their heads down. Davidson was a good hire and should payoff right away in the form of high intensity attitude change in the O-line coaching and players efforts.

32. By Justin on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

AGAIN, Cris Carter gets shafted. He deserves the HOF! Why don’t the morons who do the voting realize this?

33. By Bryan on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Cris Carter is gonna get the call to hall. He was amazing, so fun to watch. SKOL!!!!!!!!!

34. By 12timeworld champs on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

overrated. chris carter

35. By Arrow86 on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Back to purple08: I wonder how much of our O-line woes were hidden in 2009 behind a weak schedule and Chester Taylor picking up oncoming defensive linemen giving Favre a sliver more time to throw.

I wonder how long it will take Cutler to live down the toughness question with Bears fans? His knee injury does not require surgery, and it was the NFC championship game. Favre played on an ankle that required surgery to finish off the NFC championship game last year.

36. By Arrow86 on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

12timeworld champs: When Chris Carter played in Philly coming out of Ohio State, I would have agreed with you. When you look at what he did with his life on and off the field after being released from the Eagles and picked up by the Vikes, statisticly, he’s among the greats! He had several quarterbacks to play with and adjusted to each well. He kept a lid on Randy Moss’s antics early in his career. If C.Carter is overrated, what does he have to do to impress you?

37. By Dr0wssap on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey buddies.
    I woke this morning feeling ah lets see here, how can I describe it, well feeling kind of SUPER as in SUPERIOR.

I wonder why?

So I ask myself two questions:

First, perhaps the reason I feel so SUPERIOR is because it is SUPERBOWL SUNDAY and the WORLD FAMOUS GREENBAY PACKERS are about to win their FORTH VINCE LOMBARDI TROPHY!

Second question: Have all the Viking Nation fans, Viking football players or for that matter all sniveling Minnesota citizens ever had such a SUPER or a SUPERIOR feeling on ANY SUPERBOWL SUNDAY.

I THINK NOT !!!!!

If any of you losers want to see what a LOMBARDI TROPHY looks like up close, just drive on over to GREEN BAY Wisconsin you can see three of them (soon to be four)

LOSERS! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

38. By bwerner1 on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Chris Carter is over rated?! Do you even watch football? Just look at the man’s stats. His on and off the field mentality.

39. By Bryan on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

What I think DrOwssap was trying to say was he woke up in a DRUNKEN STUPER!!

40. By Bryan on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

I read somewhere that domestic assualts are at there highest in Wisconsin when the Packers lose. Man, there’s gonna be a lot of blacked eyed women at work tomorrow!

41. By Robins on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

DrOwssap is an idiot. I was born a packer fan so thought that was all there was. Brett introduced me to the Vikings and I totally respect them and love them! When the Packer fans booed Brett, I lost all feelings for Packers fans and their stupid cheeseheads. I was shocked that they were so ignorant and treated Brett that way. They hadn’t been to a Super Bowl in 30 years and were a lousy team until Brett showed up. They are a disgrace in my eyes and I hope they lose. None of the Packer fans deserve a winning team. Their coach is a cold creep. I have watched Brett for 20 years and my favorite year was with the Vikings and almost getting to the Super Bowl. Brett and the Vikings should have gone but the refs were on the side of the Saints. This year the refs have been easy on the packers. I hope the Steelers win. Brett wasn’t the problem last year it was the oline. It didn’t exist. Brett got clobbered. I hope Webb and a new draft pick can beat the packers next year.

42. By 12timeworld champs on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

dr osswap
    right on brother

robins. u have no idea what u r tlkng about. favre won one SB. that’s it. he cost the pack over the past ten years. only a loser blames the officials. remember 12 men in the huddle, brents interception. that wasn’t the refs fault
    stay with favre, maybe he will send you a d$ck pick.

43. By Bryan on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

12timeloserwiththeladies what are you doing on a Vikings blog? Better get back to your headcheese and Old Style buffet spread. The Door County Poofduh’s are gonna lose.

44. By Justin F on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Only losers invade another NFL team blog and start trouble. I’m looking at both 12timeworld Champs and DrOsswap.

45. By vikesfan78 on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

I really tried to tell myself that I should root for the “pack”….cuz I hate “Big Ben”….but I found myself hoping that the Steelers would score on that last drive. For 12time worldchamp….. I hope that Favre gets his # retired as a Packer as he deserves it. As far as Rodgers is concerned…..we will see if he can withstand the QB position like Brett did… I think not!!!!!!!!!

46. By Pakman on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Steelers… Bears…. V-Qweens….. you all suck, suck, suck, suck….. my left nut :)

47. By CA Norwegian on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Two coaches picked up Randy last year, and they were both Fired!! Good luck signing next year Randy! We should have let Brett make his own decision, and left him on the tractor. We could have tried Sage or picked up a better answer. There were good linemen on the market last year, instead we payed Millions for a few weeks of Moss. We need to stay away from guys wh9 have “nothing left to prove” in the future. Good to see Meemo doing well with the Steelers.

48. By Old School on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

We are now bottom feeders in our own division!

FOR YEARS TO COME!

NO QB……NO O-LINE……NO SECONDARY….UN-PROVEN HEAD COACH….AND A ALL-PRO RB THAT HAS ABOUT 3 YEARS MAX OF PRIME-TIME PERFORMANCE…………..A.P. WILL BE ANOTHER BARRY SANDERS!

49. By Old School on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

L.A…..HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

50. By 12Timeworldchampions on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, I AM OFFICIALLY CHANGING MY NAME TO 13TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS.

HA HA HA HA

51. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Old School- How are you? Long time. Not much changes around here.

52. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Packer fans are Class-A$$es. You guys dont realize how lucky you are, having 3 great QBs win a Super Bowl. It seems to me you Idiots dont care for old #4 anymore, that is truly a shame. Your pretty boy QB needs to show a little respect to a LEGEND, dont forget, you guys gave #4 the boot, he didnt quit.

53. By rusty on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

looks like viks will be on bottom for a long time, I hope they watch the pack and learn how 2 play the game.Im going on lockdown for at least 3 years, viks will not see any of my money,

54. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Come out little packer pv$$ies. Come over here stir the pot, run home like the weasel that you are . Not even man enough to use the same name on both sites. TW VIKE

55. By morgan on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I would not waste a pic on a QB, plug Webb into starting QB and don’t look back. Draft OL and DB, pick up a cheap veteran QB for backup and lets roll.

As far as the HOF goes Carter got shafted as it looked more like a popularity contest than anything else.

Last thought, we would NOT have been better without Favre in 09 that’s just stupid. Look at the year he/we had.

56. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

morgan- I disagree. It is time to get a young TRUE QB and bring him along. Let #4 coach him. Webb is a talent but I just dont know. TJack is not going to work. We are going to have to get a plug in for now, who? Not McNabb,Kolb, Hassleback? I dont know.

57. By Old School on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

We need to finally draft a QB and take our beating for the next 3 to 4 years! We need to re-tool this whole team while we watch the rest of the North Division WHIP OUR A#$%$# !!!!!!

Chilly knew that this was it…………..it was this year or take a beating for the next few! Well, I guess we all know what we are in for!

IF YOU KNOW FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!! I KNOW ON THIS SITE THAT’S A BIG IF!!!!!

KINDA HOPE THEY MOVE TO L.A. AND SAVE ALOT OF US THE PAIN OF THE NEXT FEW YEARS! CAUSE ITS GONNA HURT………….LIKE B A L L S DEEP HURT! PRISON STYLE! !!!!!!!!

58. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Old School- Could have used your help in Pe<ker Puffer land. Those guys are losers even in victory.

59. By TW VIKE on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

With our luck Jerry Jones will buy the Vikings and move them to Texas.

60. By T Bone on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Robins. When Packer Fans Booed Favre I lost all respect for them(Packer fans) and no longer want to be associated with them. I and am now a Viking Fan.

61. By 13timeworld champs on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

it is so funny how you stick up for Favre. didn’t you see it this year when he didn’t come to training camp. yes, the Packers moved on and now we are Champions of the NFL again.

In time Favre will be welcomed back, but for now he still is a Viking. the three greatest Packer quarterbacks in order: Starr, Rodgers, Favre.

62. By 13timeworld champs on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Here’s the reason why I’m so bitter toward Viking fans. My Mom who is a P-rostitute by trade told me my hole life that all she knows about my Dad is he was wearing a Fran Tarkenton jersey the night I was conceived and that he ran off without paying. I mean if he would have just paid her I’d probably be a Viking fan. So my only hope at getting at him is through this blog. Nothing personal. It’s how I was raised.

63. By paul on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

First things first, straighten out your front office, this is where championship teams start..
    Or take the quick fix and become loyal PACKER FANS and feel the love…

64. By 12Timeworldchampions on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

are we bitter? ha ha ha

65. By TW VIKE on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

12time -I realize you still have a black& white TV and Hee-Haw is prime time, but we live in the super bowl era. I know,you guys have 4 of those, but teams really dont count those other Championships. But if those bigger #s make you feel better its OK. Tell Coli,VD, & my little packer princess good night!!

66. By Alex on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

We need to us Webb in a special play because he is not fit for the starting role right now. I think we are going to pursue Kevin Kolb because he wants to start and the Eagles aren’t going to let him. I also think we will pursue Santana Moss as well.If we get Rice re-signed he will be a good mentor for our WR. We will also pursue a few CB and Safetys. We need to replace Bit Pat on the D-line. He is getting old go after Hayensworth he wold fit in our 4-3 defense. We need to replace Gerhart because he doesn’t fit for a third down back. Move him to FB he would be great there. I think Lorenzo Booker would be a good Thir down back. He looked promising when he played for us this season. If we do these off season moves we will have a good team next year. GOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

67. By JOCKO on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

8-8 next year you bunch of loosers. Joe Webb, Ha e will never be a starting Qb in the

68. By 12Timeworldchampions on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

TW vike: The ones that don’t have them, don’t count them.

69. By indianavikesfan on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

It’s bad enough to have Packer fans introducing their negativity on our site, but now so called vikes fans are doing it too! Old school, either move to L.A.,
    start rooting for another team or just get lost. Your negativity sucks!
    You probably get bullied all day long at your prison guard job and this is the only
    way you can make yourself feel better. Rebuild your life like our Vikes rebuild!

2. Feb 3, 2011: A Couple Things To Watch For Over The Weekend | Vikings Stop Blog