Cullen Loeffler Named Honorary Captain For Team USA Vs. The World Football Game

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 1, 2011 – 11:48 am

Vikings long snapper Cullen Loeffler will join Air Force Technical Sergeant Damien M. Larche and Houston Texans DT Amobi Okoye as honorary captains at the 2nd annual Team USA vs. The World game in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday, February 2 in Westlake High School’s Chaparral Stadium at 7:30 p.m. CT.

Loeffler joined the Vikings as a rookie free agent in 2004 and won the starting job in training camp. He hasn’t relinquished those duties since 2004 and has developed into one of the best players at his position in the NFL. He spends his offseasons in Austin, Texas and was a 3-year football letterman at the University of Texas. He shared UT’s Frank Denius Most Valuable Special Teams Player Award, was awarded the Longhorn Club Sportsmanship Award and was one of the Longhorns’ Dr. Nasser Al-Rashid Strength and Conditioning Awards as a senior in 2003. Loeffler attended Tom Moore High School in Ingram, Texas.

Team USA vs. The World matches the U.S. Under-19 National Team, comprised of 45 high school seniors representing 18 states and Washington, D.C., against a World Team composed of athletes and coaches from 16 countries on five continents.

Team USA vs. The World marks the largest number of nations (17) ever to participate in a single football game.

Team USA vs. The World will be nationally televised live on Fox College Sports Central and streamed live at http://www.HighSchoolSports.net, a partner of USA Today. Among the outlets broadcasting the game on tape delay is NFL Network, which will air the game on Friday, February 11 at 4:30 p.m. ET. The Team USA vs. The World game will be available in more than 100 million households live or on tape delay.

About USA Football
USA Football, the sport’s national governing body, hosts more than 80 football training events annually offering education for coaches and game officials, skill development for players and resources for youth football league commissioners. The independent non-profit is the official youth football development partner of the NFL, its 32 teams and the NFL Players Association. USA Football manages U.S. national teams within the sport for international competition and awards $1 million annually in equipment grants to youth and high school football programs based on merit and need. Endowed by the NFL and NFLPA in 2002 through the NFL Youth Football Fund, USA Football is chaired by former NFL team executive Carl Peterson.

Tags:

34 Responses to “Cullen Loeffler Named Honorary Captain For Team USA Vs. The World Football Game”

1. By VIKINGS/HEAT/SHARKS on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

STEEL CHEESE GRATERS GO PITTSBURGH!

2. By Seabass on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Get er dun TOMLIN!! Make Minnesotans Proud!!

3. By Parody on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Way to make sound decisions E.Griffen! http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20030244-504083.html

Now I understand why this “first round talent” was still available in the 4th round. Some of the coaches better rush on over to LA and shove their boots up his ass nice and quick. If they can’t get him to straighten his act out, he needs to be let loose.

4. By Rick on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope Les dose not put up with this B.S.makes ya wonder here we Fn go again. COMMON MAN!!!!!

5. By Bubba on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

With Ray Edward and Robison free agents, this was E. Griffen’s big moment to step up and have a great offseason and prove to the coaches he is ready to move to the next level. WRONG.

The guy has been blessed with great talent and size…but no brains or motivation.

6. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Sometimes it’s better to start off all over again with new talent. I am glad that I do not have to decide which free agents to keep, and which to let go.

Ray Edwards is a rare talent, but if he is disruptive, you have to let him go.

Then maybe choosing a defensive end, in the first round becomes the highest priority. Brian Robison seems like a great talent.

7. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

That talk about an 18 game schedule is just a way to get the players off the main subject, player salaries.

“I ask for alot, I don’t get it, but I get something.”

The owners will be able to keep their salary demands down by using the 18 game schedule as bait.

NO player is for the 18 game schedule. 16 games is too many !

8. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

…realistically how many fans are for an 18 game schedule? Most know injuries are crazy out-of-control with the 16 game schedule.

I’ll bet if they did a study on when the most injuries happen in NFL games, the 4th quarter would have the most REAL INJURIES. (I realize some injuries are fake to stop the clock)

I also feel that most injuries also happen in the second half of the season.

18 game schedule. Surely they jest!!!

9. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Fred- I think DE will be a focus for the Vikings this draft. I also do not like the 18 game schedule – all the records will be meaning less.

Because I am snowed in, I will list the Top 5 guy the Vikings could draft with the 12th pick. First is Robert Quinn (because edwards will likely be gone).

Robert Quinn (6’4 272 from North Carolina) is a top 5 talent that could fall to the Vikings with the 12th pick (because he sat out a year because of NCAA violations). He is raw with great athleticism and will not last long on draft day. Quinn has all the tools to be an elite pro pass rusher. Many scouts think he is the most dominant pass rushing DE to come out of college since Julius Peppers.

10. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

#2
    Blaine Gabbert is another top 10 talent that I think the Vikings will take with the 12th pick if he falls. He has a solid NFL arm and looks the part of a pocket p@sser. He stands tall in the pocket and has a quick release. Blaine is a nice athlete with good mobility for his size. He has all the tools to be a franchise signal caller.

11. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

#3
    I am sticking with QB here. Ryan Mallet (6’6 238 Arkansas) is a tall productive and physically gifted QB with a canon-arm. Mallet has set or tied 43 razorback records accounting for 62 TD in his 2 years as a starter with only 19 ints. He could fall to the Vikings with the 12th pick. I think his stock will rise at the combine and he will also go in the top ten. But I can alway hope he falls to the Vikings. I think he also is a true franchise type QB.

12. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

#4
    Here is where it gets alittle harder to pick. If those top three guys are off the board (and I am also saying that top ten guys like Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, and Prince Amukamara will not be an option here because they will already be taken). If one of those guy is available use it here but if not my next pick is Nate Solder or Anthony Castonzo OT.
    #4 I am going with Nate Solder – he is 1 inch taller and ten pound heiver than Castonzo. Nate also runs a faster 40 time and is a former tight end. N. Solder is a top p@ss protector with nimble feet. Nate is a monster at 6’8 314 and can run a 4.89 40 yard dash. He dominated at all week at the Senior Bowl .

13. By Carl K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I need some help with #5.
    I can’t make up my mind between these four:
    Mike Pouncey – 6’5 center/guard from Florida.
    Jimmy Smith CB 6’2 203 from Colorado.
    Cameron Jordan DE (had a great senior bowl week and is flying up draft charts)
    Julio Jones WR ( he is a great talent and very good first round value but I don’t think we need him if we can resign Sidney Rice)

Let me know if I missed some one worth talking about with that 1st round pick.

14. By Mike B on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I have to disagree with going after a DE on the first pick. I think that QB, OL, or Defensive backfield are more inportant needs. I am not sold on any of Chilly’s picks for QB. I think we should draft a QB and bring in a veterant QB on free agency. This will provide some open competition for the position and maybe we can find our franchise QB. Our Offensive Line has been great in 2009 to spotty in 2010. There is a need to stabilize the line. The defensive secondary has been patchwork at best and it could use help with a draft pick. Lots of free agents for the Vikings this coming year and not all will be coming back. Priority should be made to keep Greenway, Rice, and Longwell. Edwards, Robinson, and Evans are on the next list after the other 3. Just my thoughts

15. By Rick on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred, I agree I think with a 18 game sch you would start to see players pull back a little and that would really dilute the quality of the games. Could u imagine the blogs then, yikes!!!!!

16. By Mike B on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Wouldn’t you all think that if there is an 18 game season there would be a call for a larger player roster. I think with the injury issues this year that larger rosters would be a requirement. Any other opinions out there.

17. By Titus on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Well, let’s take the 18 game schedule a little further. Let’s add 4 new divisions– 16 teams– after all there are at least 15 states without teams (yes, some in new england, but they have the Patriots– so I don’t count Maine, etc) — then we can extend the playoffs — eliminate two pre-season as suggested and have a season from August until the end of January — have the Superbowl in mid March with warmer weather throughout the country– having the best record in the NFL hosting the Superbowl.

18. By Titus on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Obviously, I didn’t say it, but of the 4 new divisions, we would equally divide those– two in the NFC and two in the AFC.

19. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

@Rick….I hadn’t even thought about players faking their way thru a few games. That could certainly happen..if it isn’t already happening.

20. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I just thought the Vikings had an UNbelievable amount of INJURIES this year. I’ve been around the block a few times and never saw anything like this year.

NOW they want to add games ! ! !

What are those owners smoking?

Seriously!

21. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I admire your outlook on things. But I can’t agree with your 18 game schedule proprosal.

…Like Scooby Doo why don’t we start he season in August, begin playing the playoff games in January, and have the Super Bowl in July of the next year. That way we would have NFL football all year long.

…Yeah Scoobs we would only have to wait 3 weeks between games.

22. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K

What you seem to be suggesting is that the Vikings may have to take an Offensive Lineman because all the skill position players, and defensive linemen will be gone by the 12th pick.

Some of the mock drafts do suggest alot of defensive ends will be taken very early.

23. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

——————————————————————————-
    The Vikings have to figure out a way to stay healthy. (And I don’t mean by striking! !! !!!!!)
    —————————————————-

24. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Can

25. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

You

26. By Frederick Jones on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

SSSTTTTTTTTOOOOOOPPPPPP It !

27. By Titus on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha Frederick– you got the picture. I tell you there is always more than meets the eye– maybe it is like you said — the owners are using the 18 game as a bargaining chip with the players and really don’t want to expand– or maybe there is a much bigger plan down the road and this is a step to slowly ease the players and fans toward far bigger objectives– merge NFL Europe with the NFL and have a world Superbowl.

28. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

@fred- I pick Oline because the value is good, and the Vikes will have first choice of the best olineman in the draft. And I believe it is a need for the team to address. However, I think the Vikings will draft best player available and I think it could be a DE like Robert Quinn or Cameron Jordon.
    But if Blaine Gabbert or Ryan Mallet are still on the board, the Vikings will take one of them. Now with that said, I don’t believe those two QB will still be on the board with the 12th pick.
    Because I believe the high value guys will be gone… the Vikings should just go ahead and draft OL rather than reach for a QB like Locker. As far as DT, I an not sure if that is a big enough area of need for the Vikings to draft DT in first round. I think the top 2 corners will also be taken. So corner and safety is a bit of a reach too. I as still unsure if Locker is worth the #12 pick?

29. By Carl K on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

sorry… “I an” and “I is” should be “I am”.

30. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K

I can relate to the typos. Football is an emotional game, and so is writing about it ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY WON’T LET YOU WRITE INNOCENT THINGS ! ! !

31. By Frederick Jones on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

Are you for or against the 18 game schedule?

32. By Carl Brodin on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

I say either draft a DE or keep Robinson and Everson Griffin but Edwards go we cant afford him. We need to sign Greenway,Rice,E.Henderson. Extend A.P.’s contract. Draft a QB in the second round groom him for a year give Webb the ball this year. I think it’s good that we signed that wide reciever from CFL. I think WR Vincent Brown S.D. State & WR Greg Salas or WR Austin Pettis Boise State or WR Cecil Sheets Mount Union. The good thing is we should come out of the CBA with a Rookie salary cap.

33. By vakantiehuisjefrankrijk.webstarts.com on Jun 9, 2013 | Reply

You have made some decent points there. I looked on the internet
    for additional information about the issue and found
    most people will go along with your views on this web site.

2. Feb 1, 2011: Cullen Loeffler Named Honorary Captain For Team USA Vs. The World Football Game | Vikings Stop Blog