Reaction From Musgrave, Pagac, Priefer And Singletary

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 19, 2011 – 4:43 pm

The Vikings announced the hiring of 3 assistant coaches on Wednesday, as new head coach Leslie Frazier continues to round out his staff. We’ve rounded up reaction from a few of those assistant coaches as they begin the next stage of their careers with the Vikings.

Bill Musgrave
“The organization is first class all the way and Leslie Frazier is first class all the way. The players on the offensive side of the ball are very attractive to be associated with. I’m looking forward to utilizing their strengths to get fantastic results. The offensive weapons on this squad are impressive. We as a staff will look forward to utilizing each and every one of them to attack defenses. I first met Leslie about 10 years ago when he was in Philadelphia and we’ve stayed in touch over the years. I look forward to working with him here and moving forward.”

Fred Pagac
“I’m very excited for the opportunity and I think we can get on the right track quickly. I’m excited about our players and staff and think that keeping continuity is very important. It helps everyone involved, the players and coaches both. The players know us, what our expectations are and we have a staff that works well together.”

Mike Priefer
About joining the Vikings: “I’m honored to come to the Minnesota Vikings organization and to work with Coach Frazier. I’m excited to work with the rest of the coaching staff, players and the entire organization. It is a great opportunity for me and I know my family is excited about getting up there and I’m ready to help us win a championship.”

On Current Special Teams Players: “The punting situation is outstanding. We have a great snapper in Cullen Loeffler and have had a great kicker in Ryan Longwell over the years. I have kind of been envious of the core special teams guys here in Minnesota. We had some good players in Denver but I know there are some outstanding players there in Minnesota and I look forward to working with them.”

Scoring on special teams and his style of play: “I have put more of an emphasis on the coverage units. We did a lot of good things in Denver the past couple of years but the scoring (on special teams) has a lot to do with the guys that we have on the units and obviously on the returner. If you have a good returner you have a great opportunity to score or at least give your offense great field position every single time you go out there. That is going to be a big thing working with Percy Harvin, Lorenzo Booker and Greg Camarillo. For me I like to emphasize; toughness, discipline, enthusiasm and effort. Those are the four core words that I use when I talk about special teams play.”

Playing at Mall of America Field: “I’m very excited to play at Mall of America Field, especially late in the year. Having a domed stadium is a definite advantage I think for both teams. You have to look at it as a kicking advantage for your guys that do that every week. Also you have to understand that the people coming in are going to change what they do slightly. I’ve always had a little bit of a different game plan when playing indoors.”

Mike Singletary
“It’s a great honor and a tremendous opportunity that I would have a chance to coach with Leslie,” Singletary said. “He’s a quality coach and I know that to be a part of something that he’s doing is special. When I look at what they have put together as an organization they have a lot of the pieces in place to do some special things. I’m excited to come there and be a part of that and help take it to the next level.”

Tags: , ,

150 Responses to “Reaction From Musgrave, Pagac, Priefer And Singletary”

1. By Joe on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I like the Musgrave hiring. Bevell was fine, but new assistant coaches come with a new head coach and Musgrave is one of the best at offensive corrdinator.

2. By kyweaver on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

i hope musgrave dosnt give a 1998 eagle performance at coachig. but hopefully he can take whoever we go with qaurterback and make him into something like ryan

3. By bob on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

ryan mallet will be a great qb with musgrave as a mentor

4. By Ham on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mallett is slow, has bad footwork and it seems like he has maturity issues. In his bowl game he was shoving D-lineman after getting sacked. I would not take him in the first round and I doubt he’ll be ready by 2012.

5. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Do you guys remember when our old special teams coach spoke that the object of returning was to catch the ball cleanly? Now, this new coach understands the true objective– to set the offense in great field position or score. This guy knows– he gets it. Great job Frazier.

6. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@Joe … Musgrave in his 3 stints as OC hasnt had an offense better than 16th, so to call him ” one of the best at OC ” is a HUGE stretch , he hasnt been an OC since ’04 and hasnt lasted longer than 2 years as an OC

That being said , he has had 6 seasons to improve his craft …. so fingers crossed

7. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@bob … Mallet is an immature statue, I would say he has the mind of Vince Young and the mobility of a 43 year old Brett Favre

MALLET SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Webb is better than Mallet !!!!!!!!!!!

8. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I love the Singleterry signing … he will bring some intensity to our defense, and makes me think … Maybe for the next 5+ years the Vikings D will be in the same sentence as Pittsburgh, Jets, and Ravens

9. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

We are on the edge of dynasty.

10. By nflfan on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Vikings added a lot of experienced coaches to the staff this team really wants a championship frazier has a solid veteran staff now. Atleast no eagles coaching staff was hired this time -knock on wood-

11. By bob on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Brady, manning, brees , are all slow qb’s are not meant to be fast yeah its great if they are mobile but they are known for accuracy and hitting there targets in stride that is what counts. You can have a scrambling fast qb but if he can’t hit his target or stick it in double coverage he is a useless qb. Mallett is not the fastest but he is accurate I’m not saying he is a sureshot to be an elite qb but in the draft at 12th overall if he is there the vikings should take him.

12. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@Bob … ill give you his arm, he is a good passer but so was ryan leaf its the other part of ryan leaf i see in mallet that scares me

13. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Accuracy is the most important factor in a QB– how do I know? Aikman said so during the playoff game the other night.

14. By Ricefield on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Good news all around.

GO VIKINGS!!!

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. By animal26 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

not too shabby Frazier. This Coaching staff so far, looks pretty darn good. Hopefully we are able to bare fruit.

16. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

17. By vikes on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

That a motha fu$ken staff right there… Cant wait for next year because i kind of got sick of watching a team that was underperforming big time. People zigge will sign our studs and than we will basically have the same team as in 09. but we just need musgrave to steel matt ryan or get us the next franchise qb.

18. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

We should give Tarvaris Jackson and Joe Webb a longer shot at winning the Vikings QB job.

Terry Bradshaw was absolutely hated by the Steeler fans his first few years. Chuck Noll, the head coach, was very critical of Bradshaw.

to be continued….

19. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Bradshaw’s stats his first year were: 38% completion rate
    6 TDs and 24 interceptions (which led the NFL).

He was not alot better his next season.

to be continued…

20. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The owner was Art Rooney. Rooney had been with the team since it’s first days. In almost 40 years, the Steelers had been unable to even win their division.

In the years before they drafted Bradshaw, the Steelers DRAFTED AND GAVE UP ON some great QBs including: Johnny Unitas HOF, Len Dawson HOF,
    Jack Kemp, Bill Nelson, and Earl Morrall.

to be continued…

21. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

It took Bart Starr several years before he became the HOF QB for the legendary Packers. He was a veteran QB when Lombardi arrived, and Lombardi had him ranked #3 at the position! Starr lacked confidence.

to be continued…

22. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

There is no easy way to develop a quarterback. You cannot just keep giving up on them in their first few years.

Joe Webb should be a great QB. Tarvaris Jackson, unfortunately, will probably be great for some other team BECAUSE THE VIKINGS DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH PATIENCE.

An All-Pro QB does not happen over night.

to be continued…

23. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I think it was SHAWN who said any QB we get should have a rating of 80 or better.

Do you realize that Mark Sanchez had a rating in 2009 of about 65. He had a rating of about 73 this year!!!

Look it up! And the Jets have been a playoff team each of the last 2 years!

24. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Viking fans be slow with JOE!!!

25. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

…and Matt Ryan can beat the Packers all by hisself.

26. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

…Baloney…

You don’t do nuthin’ with out an OFFENSIVE LINE that can block for both the run and the pass.

I don’t care if you are 7 and a half feet tall and can throw a football the length of 2 football fields!

If you are on your back, it’s gonna be difficult to make all-pro!

27. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I like the signings. Matt Ryan is my favorite young QB out there right now, and that says a lot about his coach. Hopefully he can do the same with the group under him in Minnesota.

Now it looks like we just need to find a QB coach and an OL coach. With how poorly the OLine performed this last year, I hope that we can really find a top-notch coach to get those guys back in shape. From the other top-notch signings that Leslie has made already, I trust that he will do great with the final openings as well.

28. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The only part that is kind of awkward is that Leslie made the LB coach his assistant Head Coach. Okay, they both played and won a Super Bowl together in Chicago, so they probably know eachother pretty well. But I would have expected Pagac, as the tenured coach with the Vikings behind Frasier, to be his first choice as an assistant.

29. By animal26 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

he had 5 years Frederick. For a Quarterback the time limit for telling if someone will be good or not is usually 3-4 years. He has had 5 years and really hasn’t had anything to show for it.

30. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I forgot that our RB coach took a job elsewhere (I think as a college coach) so we’ll need to replace him as well. I just read that our top choice right now is the Colts’ former RB coach. I don’t know if that sounds like a very enticing option, as the Colts running game never seemed to be all that newsworthy. I always figured that the Colts only had a running game because Peyton knew when to audible to a run to catch the defense off guard.

31. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Apparently the Colts RB coach (Gene Huey) is Frazier’s first choice because Frazier worked with him when he coached in Indy. That’s a little disappointing that Leslie is showing similarities to Childress, in bringing in a lot of staff members that he has already worked with. It makes it seem like he is not taking much of a look at the other options out there, but this is probably what a lot of head coaches do.

I still like the signings so far, but I have a feeling that we can do better than Huey. Granted he’ll be coming in with AP as his top choice, so he’ll already look good just with that superstar under him. But we still need to improve the production from Gerhart and Booker. These three RBs are good enough to really become a fearsome trio in the NFL as soon as next year if they have proper leadership.

32. By vikingfaninwhodatville on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

What about Ernest Byner for RB coach since he was fired by the Titans?

33. By vikingfaninwhodatville on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Tom Cable for O-line.

34. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Tom Cable has already signed with the Seahawks as their OLine coordinator and Assistant Head Coach. I think the Seahawks are trying to work things out with Bevell too…

35. By vikingfaninwhodatville on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Just read that on another site. Our loss…

36. By kraze k on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I like the picks so far. Hope Leslie can continue with it. Thanks Mike please keep us updated on the rest.

37. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Parody you make a very good point about possible awkwardness in the organization– placing a friend and former teammate in a position when the DC has been with us some time— I hope that does not create waves– we need a cohesive front from the top office to the water boy — and the writers of vikings.com— um, ahem. But really, that was something that made me pause. Good point. It would not bode well in a corporate culture.

38. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if Singletary made that part of the deal– without that title, he would not come to MN– think about a head coach stepping all the way down to a linebacker coach.

39. By Hopepackerslose on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Singleterry took the job because even though it is a way lower position and a hard transition he still has a job somewhere. Either that or he stays unemployed I doubt any other teams will hire him as a head coach anytime soon. It is like taking a huge paycut or end up jobless and singleterry chose to have a job and maybe in the future become a head coach again, It happens all the time in the nfl.

40. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Animal26: That’s my point!!!

Tarvaris Jackson has only been in the NFL for 5 years and started only 20 games.

Bart Starr didn’t become a fulltime starter until his SIXTH YEAR! The year before, in his FIFTH YEAR, Starr threw 4 TDs versus 8 ints.

I am sure Terry Bradshaw, and many others have similar stories. You young guys must know about KURT WARNER! How old was he before he started for the Rams.???
    …and on it goes!

41. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

That is understood hopepacklose— we are discussing the dynamics within an organizational structure and possible behavioral effects on key relationships. It is not often in the NFL that the assistant coach is a coach other than the OC or DC, at least I don’t think it is– and that is what we are addressing. Add to the mix, the DC has been with Vikings for some time.

42. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

TJack is only 27 years old. QBs are like fine wine, they get better with age.

Ask Earl Morrall, Jim Plunkett, Len Dawson, George Blanda, Rich Gannon, etc…who struggled as young QBs only to find stardom in later years.

The Lions QB this year, Shawn Hill, is a former Vikings castoff like Gannon who came back to haunt his old team.

History keeps repeating itself. Ryan Leaf, in the right atmosphere, might have made it in the NFL. Maybe he still will!!!

43. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

And Fred Jones, as you said, TJack had 20 starts– that is one and a quarter years of play. Period. Most of the five years he did not start. A year is all we have seen of him. I think he will be a very good quarterback in two or three years somewhere.

44. By mr smiff on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Frederick, Terry Bradshaw is a poor example. In his 14 seasons in the NFL, he has thrown more picks than tds in half those seasons. He has career stats of 212 tds and 210 ints. Take away his his 4 SB wins, which really had more to do with the legendary Steeler D and the Harris/Blier rushing combo, and that’s not a HOF career. To be fair, Bradshaw had his moments, but then again he had one of the best o-lines in NFL history as well as one of the best WR tandems in Swann and Stallworth.

45. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mr Smiff, come on!! Do you think those Steeler teams would have won without a quarterback?

46. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Smiff is right about Bradshaw having a great offensive line. That may be one of the reasons it took him so long to develop.

He didn’t make a Pro Bowl until his SIXTH season in the NFL.

47. By mr smiff on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

No team can win without a qb. Like I said, Bradshaw had his moments, including the year he won both league and SB MVP titles. But there have been times he DID NOT carry his team, and times his team won SBs in spite of him, not because.

48. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Jim Hart, St. Louis Cardinals QB didn’t make the Pro Bowl until his 10th year in the NFL. He was 30 years old. He didn’t really win the starting job outright until that year. Charlie Johnson, when healthy, was the real starter before that.

Rich Gannon was in his 12th year, and 34 years of age. It was really his first time capturing a full-time QB spot.

Both of these guys when on to have 3 more (in a row) Pro Bowl season afterwards!

49. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The thing is…

Most QBs do not get the starting QB job until their 4th or 5th season.

You can find examples of those who started right away. THE NORM IS THAT IT TAKES SOME TIME TO BECOME A STARTER AT QB IN THE NFL.

Demarcus Russell was rushed, Ryan Leaf was rushed, etc., etc., etc.,
    History repeats itself.

50. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Smiff,

League and SB MVPs. What doooo yooo want?

51. By Ricefield on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Okay Fred. But that was yesterday. Today we Payton Manning, Starting QB the year he was drafted. Sam Bradford, starting QB the year he was drafted. Tom Brady (I’m not sure about but…) if he didn’t start his first year it wasn’t too long after that.

These are today’s quarterbacks and you can expect confidence out of them straight out of the gate and Tavaris never had the confidence. He’s a loser (in the sense that he doesn’t think he can win and so can’t).

52. By animal26 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general the majority of Quarterbacks have about 3-4 years to show if they will be solid Quarterbacks. Jackson had 5 years and not much to show for it. Sure, he didn’t get a chance to play a full season, but think of this. If the Vikings thought he could get the job done. Why did they push so hard for favre? one reason was because favre gave them the best chance to win, but also because they saw Jackson wasn’t going to be able to get the job done.

53. By mr smiff on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

TJack has an arm, is mobile and he is tall and strong. However he’s still antsy in the pocket, still has a run-first mentality, still wildly inaccurate, still has bad-to-fair ball control skills, still can’t read a defense, still throws before he thinks, and he looks like he has learned nothing from Brett Favre. I think he can still have solid career, but just not with the Vikings.

54. By mr smiff on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Anybody can have a great year, Frederick. I prefer consistency.

55. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Fred, you have to admit, what Mr Smiff just wrote sums it up. TJack does not stay poised- he has the athletic abilities but his mind needs work. With a proper mentor/coach and a strong work ethic, TJack could make something of himself– but when he played this last year– even at New England, I saw the same old TJack from the Philly playoff game a couple years prior.
    By the way, folks, I believe TJack could be good to great, but I am not advocating for him to be a Viking. Time for a change.

56. By #0 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

i hope singletary does bring it to the next level keep your word mr.singletary>+++

57. By James on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

tjack needs to be the first one cut on the roster, I don’t know what was chilly thinking but they need to get rid of chillys crush once and for all. I don’t know what he sees in tj he is way too inconsistent to be a qb. Its time for a new vision and a new era tjack needs to be cut. No more washed up veteran qb’s that have been jumping team to team it is time to get a elite pure pocket passer that will lead the vikings for years to come enough of the qb mystery problem. It is time for a franchise qb.

58. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

James – Before you can cut TJack you have to re-sign him! Now that doesn’t make a lick of sense, especially since he’ll be shopping himself to every team in the NFL before considering taking any offer that the Vikes might tease him with. Just let the man walk.

59. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Does anybody know what style of offense Musgrave came from in Atlanta?

If it’s different from the West Coast (or even different from the version of it that was being run here for the last 5-years) then will he be working his offensive playbook into the team, or will he pick up and continue with the book that is already in place?

60. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Parody, apparently he knows the west coast from this I copied off nfl.com

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier Wednesday that other general managers around the league expected the Browns to land Musgrave, whose vast experience in the West Coast offense made him a fit for team president Mike Holmgren’s philosophy.

61. By Parody on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Because personally, I’d prefer to see something new. Something that had some multi-back formations built into it maybe…or something that made more use of reading defenses by putting players in motion…something with a nice selection of trick plays maybe…or if we make the smart move and find a good QB in free agency or early draft, something that will make use of a wildcat formation every now and then to showcase Webb.

62. By chuck ashley on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

T-Jack had PLENTY of opportunities to be the Starter & Flunked them ALL! He’s Done & thank God for that! Time to move on, hopefully draft a QB like Dalton from TCU as well as keep working with Webb & get a veteran back up on the cheap.

63. By JIM on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I am for any version of the west coast as long as we get back to hammering the living shi* out of defenses like we did a couple years ago when AP looked like a man possessed. The blocking was hard nosed, in your face, and just see if you can stop us.

64. By JIM on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Then if you get a solid young QB that can develop as the year goes by, (upgrade out O-line as well) and we should at least be contendors again. When we were run1st, pass 2nd, that is when we did not need a superstar at QB.

65. By K'net on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I find it interesting that Priefer went out of his way to mention five players by name, and Chris Kluwe wasn’t one of them. This worries me.

66. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

Thank you for answering my blog. It’s much better to have any kind of answer than to be ignored altogether.

So I’m going to try to be nice.

As far as QBs taking 3-5 years to develop, how is that yesterday?

What part of Kurt Warner and Michael Vick don’t you understand???

How can you get anymore today than that?

67. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

What part of Shaun Hill don’t you understand?

I don’t know the modern players as well as those of the past, it’s true. But the same thing is happening all over the NFL.

Sam Bradford and the Lions #1 draft pick from a year ago, didn’t exactly burn up the league their first year. How about the 49ers youngster ( a first rounder who’s name I can’t even recall).

Tarvaris Jackson has all the tools, he just needs playing time.

68. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

The Raiders guy Wojowhotheheckwiz, Raiders QB. How old is that guy, and how many years has he been in the league? C’mon Man

All of this stuff, I came up with without benefit of a magazine, book, or profootball.com.

Johnny Unitas and Brett Favre had about 4 snaps between them their rookie years.

Brett Favre is a HOF quarterback. Terry Bradshaw and I would take him over any QB in the league! And he had a GREAT year in 2009.

These facts, my friend, cannot be denied.

69. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Dear Chuck,

Tarvaris Jackson did have 20 starts in 5 years for the Vikings. He has had 0 starts, and very little playing time in the last 2 years.

He was Player Of The Week during 2008, a year when he saw very little action.

The Bears have stuck with Jay Cutler, look what happened. Cutler is not yet a great QB. But he has the skills, just like Jackson.

We can let TJack go, but it might be a huge mistake!!!

70. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Buy low, sell high!

Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson, and a good veteran.

If we garner a good OFFENSIVE LINE.

Those are your QBs.

:) :) :) :) :)

71. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@K’net

Kluwe is one of the best punters in the NFL.

He is the best the Vikings have ever had (Greg Coleman was a better all-around athlete, Kluwe is a better punter)

He gets ignored, just like Adrian Peterson does sometimes.

72. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Okay, I couldn’t resist. Here’s some data from pro football.com

Tarvaris “Give me a chance” Jackson Lifetime QB rating 76.6 in 603 attempts

Mark “The Miracle” Sanchez Lifetime QB rating 70.2 in 871 attempts

Just facts, my young friends.

By the way…Sanchez is QB for the JETS!

73. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Tarvaris Jackson is a great QB prospect.

74. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Buy low, sell high.

75. By Mike B on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred get off TJacks bandwagon already. He’s washed up with the Vikings. It’s better he find a team that will work with him. I am not sure where you are thinking he has any chance to stay on the team. He was a Childress project and will not even be looked at when it comes to resigning free agents. It was luck we had vets behind him when he did start, so we could stay in the hunt. Example Gus Ferrotte and if he was such a prize why did we go after Farve so hard. Come on man give it a rest. TJack will not be in purple next year.

76. By vikesfan10 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

the only qbs worth drafting are locker and gabbert so unless we have one of those sitting at 12 grab a stellar cb s ol and get back to vikings football where people fear peterson and then we burn them deep with rice or anywhere on the field with harvin

77. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Trade for Vince Young! This guy can play football and throw the rock, just the wrong organization and wrong Coach. I have a feeling he would have a lot to prove somewhere else. Ask AP what Vince Young meant in Texas! VY, AP, PH and SR sound like some chromosomes or something but man would it be sweet!

78. By VY on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Vince Young will be a good NFL QB and i just hope he is a Viking when that happens. I do like Joe but come on the guy was drafted as a WR and has yet to throw a NFL TD. Thats not make him a starter based off of what we saw last year. This team must win now, not 3 years from now, they are getting old. Get a FA QB like VY and draft OL and CB.

And please dont let Rice or Greenway go,,,,,,,,,,,

79. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred,

Um, Mike Vick was a first round draft choice and I’m pretty sure he started his first year, if not, his second.

Kurt Warner was a starter in the UFL before he was cut. He was stocking shelves in a grocery store when the Rams gave him a call. He wasn’t supposed to play for the Rams, just be a back up, but Trent Green, the starter, got hurt and Kurt Warner got the reins.

I’m not sure what point you’re making about Kurt, considering when he was given the oportunity to start, he went with it and led his team to the Superbowl. Not exactly a Tavaris Jackson, was he?

80. By Carl K on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@purplerainman- no need to trade for Vince Young. He is a free agent (cut by tenn). He would be an upgrade over Tjack. If we hire Craig Johnson as QB coach from Tenn – we just might pick up V Young. I think he is the most talented free agent QB on the market. But I am still not sure what to think of him??? I think he was rookie of the year in 2006.

81. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Addendum to my last post…

Unless you’re suggesting that TJack go to the UFL?

In which case, I agree. Maybe there he’ll get the confidence he needs to be a starter in the NFL. Just a thought.

82. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Here’s an idea. How about Jim McMahon [sp?] former quarterback for the Bears and if I’m not mistaken Minnesota too.

He might be a good QB coach and then we could watch him, Frazier, and Singletary do the Superbowl Shuffle.

I’m kidding of course but maybe I’m not. LOL

83. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K – My bad, I thought they had to trade him by Feb. or cut him by next season. At any rate – Get Him! For the Joe Webb followers like myself, I have no issue with Joe Webb learning and backing-up VY.

84. By Bigfan1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

First of all there Joe Webb is the current QB, beyond that cut everyone else pronto and try to get Hasselback and draft a good one like Cam Newton then we’ll have depth for many years at QB. Hats off to the new coaching staff, fantastic to get mr. intensity Mike Singletary, he was an animal in the 80s on the D line of Chicago and HOF player. The other guys trust Mr. Frazier knows what he wants. I think this ball club is going to make a 180 soon.

85. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think VY fits what Frazier wants the team to be about. VY complaint in Tennesee was that the coach didn’t trust him. To me, that sounds like he wants to throw the ball every down.

That’s not exactly a run first mentality.

However, if he accepts that what we need is a guy to hand off a lot and throw rarely, I could handle him as our QB.

But that’s a big IF.

86. By Carl K on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@purplerainman- Your right – tenn can’t cut V. young until feb 7th. All I am saying is I don’t think any team can even trade for him by then so he will be cut.

87. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

The UFL is in it’s 2nd year, and wasn’t around when Warner played.

Also Warner was cut by the Packers his rookie year, and played Arena League,( and I think NFL Europe) as an internship before he finally started an NFL game at age 28. His story is similar to that of Unitas (Baltimore Colts-San Diego Chargers now in the Hall of Fame).

Vick did start his rookie year. However he struggle until this year, the year after he was in Prison. Now he is a good QB, where as before he was like TJack.

Please get your facts straight before you print out fiction. It makes you look like a liar, which I feel pretty sure you are not.

88. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Ricefield – You know what they say about opinions….. I think Frazier understands that people can change and anyone whos knows Vince Young personally, knows he is not a bad guy – Even Fischer will tell you that. So..I’m not sure what you mean?

Josh McDaniels wasn’t seen as the most stand-up guy either after the taping fiasco but he did in fact get an interview.

89. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K – I see. I wasn’t trying to be right…if I was. LOL. They should make it happen in my opinion.

90. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

The point I am making about Warner is that it took him 6 or 7 years before he finally got his shot in the NFL. And it only happened because of an injury.

The same thing could just as easily happen to Jackson.

Warner was written off until age 28.
    Starr was written off until he was 27.
    Unitas was written off until his 3rd year out of college.
    GANNON was an off and on starter until age 34 (And I watched his poor mechanics when he played for the Vikings for about 6 years.) The Vikings let him go, and he became a 4 time Pro Bowler for the Raiders.

History is happening just like that RIGHT NOW on other teams, and the Vikings!!!

91. By Carl K on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree with ricefield, I could handle Vince Young as QB under the right conditions. I would still draft a late round QB like Dalton, Stanzi, Devlin, Moore or McElroy.
    Draft OL in first round.

92. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred,

If that’s the case, maybe it wasn’t the UFL. What was that League called that never really made it?

Alburque had a team. AW dang it. I can’t remember the name of that league.

Someone please help me out.

Anyway, that’s the league Warner played for before he was cut and went to work in a grocery store.

Still my point remains.

93. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Bigfan1 – The problem is that Joe Webb himself doesn’t think he should be a starting QB yet. lol.

94. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

I am unwilling to go back to Pro Football Reference to further prove my point.

You can of course, find many people that did well their rookie years. But the evidence strongly points to it taking several years for a quarterback to develop.

Do not just look at TJack. Look at the history of football. That will give you the answer. I bet Frazier is looking at keeping TJack. I hope he does.

95. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield – I think you’re thinking of the Arena Football league.

96. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred,

My point is, if TJ had it, he would have been a starter from the get go, just like the guys I’ve mentioned. He didn’t so he didn’t have it.

He lacks confidence. I agree he’s talented but I don’t think he belongs in the NFL. He didn’t do anything ANYTHING AT ALL with the opportunities he was given.

He wants to play in the NFL he needs confidence. He’s not going to get that sitting on the bench and other teams aren’t going to look at him and say, “He’s our starter. Go get ‘em.

Career backup is all he’ll ever be. Riding the pine unless he joins some other league becomes a starter and gets some frickin’ confidence.

It does not take 3-5 years to know if a guy has confidence in his abilities or not.

97. By Vicequeen on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

*NEWS ALERT* “The Advocate” magazine names Minneapolis as the “gayest” city in America. Now I know why Singletary took the job with the Vikes.

98. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Now I agree that TJack may very well become a good starter some point down the road. But I don’t think that it will be with the Vikings. Too many fans have turned their backs on him, and a QB is going to find it very hard to succeed when their own fans are against them.

@Fred – Of all the QBs that you mentioned, I am wondering how many of them built their Hall of Fame reputation with the same organization who signed them? It may be a lot, but I’m guessing that it’s not. My point is that maybe it takes a little moving around for these guys who were written off to figure out what it takes to succeed and become Hall of Famers. Just a thought…

99. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

…..I have also read many autobiographies and biographies about QBs.

All of the quarterbacks I have read about have admitted to struggling in their early years for one reason or another.

100. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Oh and I remembered the name of the league in which Warner played. It was the XFL, you know that football league that Vince McMahon of WWE tried to start. Yeah, that’s the one.

101. By Turd Furguson on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone else have problems with the videos working on this website??? None of them seem to be working. And yes, i have Adobe Flash installed. On NFL.com the videos work there, but not on Vikings.com

102. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody,

Certainly that is true, many players have moved to other teams and had all-pro years.

103. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

Warner played for the Iowa Barnstormers in the Arena Football League. I don’t believe that he played for the XFL, which only lasted one year.

104. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

How the HECK are the fans suppose to have confidence in a guy that doesn’t have confidence in himself.

Oh, it’s the fans fault. He’s got absolutely nothing to do with it. Our happy thoughts would have pulled him through.

BULLSH*T!!!

105. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I feel that the old “blacks aren’t smart enough to play quarterback” is at work with the opposition to Tarvaris Jackson.

That was the main rap against Terry Bradshaw (That he wasn’t smart enough).

106. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

LOL, You got me Fred.

Yeah, you’re right. Arena League. I don’t know why I couldn’t remember.

107. By Turd Furguson on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

108. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Um, Fred?

Are you calling me a racist?

And since when does confidence equal intelligence?

109. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

But when was Terry Bradshaw black?

110. By Turd Furguson on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Why wont anyone answer me:(

111. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

This debate over TJack doesn’t matter much anyway, if there isn’t a good offensive line next year for the Vikings.

Drafting a quarterback seems silly when your team needs offensive linemen and defensive backs as badly as the Vikings.

When the Vikings get a good offensive line, then it’s time to draft a QB.

112. By Turd Furguson on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Please someone answer me

113. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Furgy,

What browser are you using?

I have to use Internet Explorer to get the videos to work sometimes. You might try that.

114. By LAVikes on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Maybe you guys should be working on the roof. c u n LA.

115. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Furgy,

There are often some things that do not work well on Vikings.com.
    We all struggle at times, I’m sure. But it’s free, so I’m not complaining.

116. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

No Turd, the videos aren’t a problem for me. Are you using Internet Explorer? If not, I’d suggest trying to switch browsers and see if that makes a difference.

117. By Turd Furguson on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I am using Safari on a Mac

118. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Sorry can’t help you then, Furgy.

119. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Try Firefox then. I just tried out a video with that browser and it works fine.

120. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield,

Conventional thinking has black people at rb, wr, te, dl, and db.

The other positons are reserved for whites.

This thinking has to go, but racism changes slowly.
    (Libraries preach that there is only one race biologically, and I agree with that idea)

121. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Ricefield,

Nobody is going to win our argument. It can’t be won.

You are for getting rid of Tarvaris Jackson.
    I am for keeping him.

We can agree to disagree without getting personal. Eventually TJack is going to succeed or fail. It’s really up to him.

We both think we’re right, I’m okay with that.

122. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred,

Mike Vick and Donovan McNabb dispelled that thinking. People want Cam Newton. I don’t see anyone saying “Blacks can’t be quarterbacks.”

I admit that used to be true though but that’s living the past. So untrue today.

123. By Matt on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

We will trade for a qb, such as orton, kolb, or young. The draft class isnt good enough.

124. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Now about things that matter…

The Vikings top concern should be the Offensive Line! ! !

Guards, Tackles, Center…just get some good players there.

125. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred,

I can live with that. Agreed to disagree.

126. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I wish racism wasn’t present in the NFL. But it’s very much alive.

Sure it’s old thinking. It’s been old thinking for a long time.

127. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Matt I don’t watch college football much. It does seem that the QB crop is down compared to recent years.

128. By Ricefield on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I can agree that racism still exists but it is changing. Black coaches and black players are changing that.

Now all they need to work on is black owners and equality will reign.

It’s a shame really that it took so long.

129. By Parody on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I thought this year was supposed to be loaded with prospects for QBs. Now all of a sudden Luck decides to stick around for his senior year and the crop is down? You’ve still got Gabbert, Mallett, Newton and Locker all who have been projected to go in the 1st round at some point in the last year. I hear that there are plenty of good possibilities in later rounds too.

130. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Ricefield,

I agree that racism is changing. I like the fact that there seem to be more white running backs, and more black quarterbacks, which seems like the old thinking is changing. Whites can be fast, blacks can be smart. Why not, there is only one race.

131. By Frederick Jones on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

and if you agree with everything I say, what good are you to me.

Besides in many sports picking the lineup is not unanimous among coaches.

That’s why I like Track. If I run a 10.2 100 meters and you run a 10.5, I get to start. It doesn’t matter what I look like, or if you like me. There is no debate.

132. By Rick on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

GREAT JOB COACH

133. By VY on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have hired former Titans running backs coach Craig Johnson as their quarterbacks coach.

Though he’s been the running backs coach the last two seasons, Johnson was the quarterbacks coach before that and has more experience in that role. His hiring is significant because he had a hand in the development of Vince Young, which has led to speculation that Young might join him in Minnesota.
    Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

See you soon VY

134. By Bubba on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

We just hired Craig Johnson as QB coach (from Tenn). Let the Vince Young speculations begin. Young will be officially released by the Titans on Feb 7th.
    Free to sign with any team.

30-18 as a starter.

135. By morgan on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

1st off WE DO NOT NEED VINCE YOUNG for crying out loud. If we can get Matt H for cheap that would be the best option, but with that said we need to fully develope Joe Webb so he should be the starter. The draft should concentrate on OL and secondary, pick up a free agent or 2 (hint hint, Randy Moss), maybe a FB, and let our awsome coaching staff do their thing.

We can prolly part ways with a few, Berrian, Jackson, Tahi, etc. Make sure we sign Rice, Greenway, Leber, maybe Edwards (not sure who is on that list, just seen these names floating around). SIGN RANDY MOSS

36 Year Viks fan and counting

136. By VIKING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

coach F, I think what you have done so far is an A+++++++++ we are all proud of you and stand with you. what you have done is very impressive already and we can tell in your voice you really want a superbowl, i think we will get one soon with you and the great staff you have ! way to go coach F !!!!!! kudos

137. By PurpleNation on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

VIKINGS UPDATE:

The Minnesota Vikings filled two more positions on their coaching staff Thursday, hiring Jeff Davidson to coach the offensive line and Craig Johnson to coach quarterbacks, head coach Leslie Frazier announced.
    East-West Shrine Game on NFL Network:
    On Saturday, Jan. 22, NFL stars of tomorrow compete in the 2011 East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, Fla. Coverage begins on NFL Network at 3:30 p.m. ET.

» NFL Network broadcast schedule

Davidson had been the Carolina Panthers’ offensive coordinator the past three seasons after spending 10 seasons as an assistant coach with the New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns.

Johnson had been on the Tennessee Titans’ staff for the past 11 seasons. He was the team’s running backs coach this past season after nine years as the Titans’ quarterbacks coach.

Frazier said the Vikings are “real close” to hiring a running backs coach, the lone remaining opening on his staff. A report Wednesday linked former Colts assistant Gene Huey with the Vikings.

Frazier also discussed the recent hires of offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and linebackers coach Mike Singletary, and the promotion of Fred Pagac to defensive coordinator.

Musgrave’s variety of experiences and ability to design schemes that fit his players’ abilities were attractive to Frazier, as was Musgrave’s work developing quarterbacks in Atlanta, where the Falcons emerged as one of the league’s top offenses.

“His history during his time in Atlanta convinced me,” Frazier said. “The success he had whether working with (quarterbacks) Matt Schaub or, more recently, Matt Ryan … why not go after the guy who has the proven track record of doing that.”

Frazier added that Musgrave will have control over the offense.

“It’s Bill’s baby,” Frazier said. “He’s going to orchestrate the offense and put together the game plan.”

Frazier, who was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator before his promotion to interim — and then full-time — head coach, said Pagac’s work late in the season impressed him.

“I really enjoyed watching his maturation while I was interim coach and just the energy he brought to the defensive side of the room,” Frazier said. “We won’t do anything dramatically different on defense.”

Source: nfl.com/nfl network

138. By Carl K on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I will admit, 2 weeks ago I did not like the idea of V. Young becoming a Viking. However, if Frazier, Musgrave, and Craig Johnson like VY… I will be all for him. It will either be a great move (like Vick in philly) or a bust.

139. By Stoney on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

FREDERICK JONES, first of all your a window licker for bringing race into the TJ argument! Second TJ does not have “IT” as an NFL QB. TJ does not have all the tools, get over the TJ thing because he’s done. He has shown no improvement since game #1.

140. By king crie on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

We wan’t cam newton #1

141. By king crie on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

keep favre in the fam #4

142. By purplerainman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Vince is coming…..I can feel it. A huge LOL for the fella routing for Matt Hassleback! There’s always 1 or 2 of THAT GUY in every bar.

LOL.

143. By vikesfan78 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Vince Young? We just got rid of the QB with the second largest ego… and we want to get #1? and immature too????

144. By vikings85 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

ya leslie i think has done a good job at the coaching staff to get them where they need but all he needs to do is get good secondary players a olb to replace leber and a few other recievers in free agency other then butterfingers berrian haha

145. By vikings85 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

if they get VY OR HASSLEBACK they can just kiss the season goodbye because for one VY is a whiney immature baby that wants to do everything his way and hassleback is old anh he sucks

146. By PURPLEPAIN77 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Is it really that hard for Freddie Jones here to understand that nearly every qb he mentioned is the exception, not the rule.
    The true heartbreak is all the qb’s we passed up drafting under the Childress regime. Even if we were going to have Favre they should of gone after his future replacement.
    This team has to much talent to go to an unproven qb. Sad to say but we need a Trent Dilfer type qb, that will manage a game, and not lose it for us. We can’t really afford to dveelop a qb while the rest of a talented team waits for that.

147. By jasonb on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

hey fredrick

tavaris suck$ a$$

148. By dt28olb on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

I like the attitudes of these guys, its like… how do i say it? our previous coaches were underachievers. But these new guys… they want to score on special teams, they want to pressure the QB, they want to send blitzes, they want to run the rock and utilize ALL of our weapons (hoping for a Webb Harvin speed option) they want to pound the rock with AP 45 times a game.

It used to be like. Oh its okay run it on 3rd and 10, oh its ok to punt, oh its ok to take a knee and waste time outs before half time, oh special teams is just about securing the ball not scoring.

149. By GOLDVIKE on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

T-JACK IS DONE!!!!!!!!!

2. Jan 19, 2011: Reaction From Musgrave, Pagac, Priefer And Singletary | Vikings Stop Blog