Division Round Recap; Vikings Fan’s Guide To Watching NFC Champ. Game

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 18, 2011 – 9:46 am

Another exciting weekend of playoff football is in the books and, in our 3-way competition for predicting winners, I came out on top of Divisional Round Weekend with a 2-2 record. As a result, I get a brief open forum on the blog to recap the weekend and basically run my mouth about a topic of my choosing.

Yesterday, less than 24 hours after it was determined the Vikings two biggest rivals would face one another in the NFC Championship Game, I couldn’t even bring myself to recap Divisional Round Weekend here on the blog. How disgusting is it that the Bears and Packers will battle in the NFC title game for the right to go to the Super Bowl? I mean, it’s great drama, I get that. But the Vikings biggest rivals are playing to go to the Super Bowl. Yuck!

Let’s talk about something else for a while, then I’ll get into Bears-Packers. Last weekend’s games provided football fans with more drama and excitement as the playoffs roll on. By now we’ve all heard enough reaction and post-game analysis, so I’ll keep my thoughts brief. Here is one observation from each game…

– Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t have the strongest arm and he isn’t the most cerebral signal-caller, but he’s a gamer with lots of postseason experience. I wouldn’t choose him if I were starting a franchise and I wouldn’t choose him as my QB for 1 season, but given the choice of any QB for 1 big-time game, Roethlisberger is as good a choice as there is in my opinion.

– I don’t want to keep the emphasis on QBs in each of these observations, but obviously Aaron Rodgers was the story of Saturday night’s game between the Packers and Falcons. It was a 1-man show for Green Bay. The one thing that stuck out to me, though, over anything else, was how Rodgers was able to escape Falcons pass rushers. Atlanta dialed up the right playcall defensively many times, but Rodgers was just better than even the best defensive playcall.

– Soldier Field is always one of my favorite road trips of the year and I think that place is at its best in conditions such as what we saw on Sunday, with snow and wind and poor footing because of the beat-up turf. Yes, Soldier Field has some of the worst surface conditions in the league, but it’s awesome to watch the game of football played in less than perfect conditions.

– This is no news flash, but the Jets victory over New England underscores the value of having a shutdown CB such as Darrell Revis. There were times when Tom Brady had all day to stand in the pocket and survey the field, but New York maintained its coverage of New England’s receivers. I guess when one man can shut down an entire third of the field it makes it much easier for the 10 other defenders to take care of the other two-thirds of the field.

Okay, on to the Vikings fan’s guide to watching the NFC Championship Game. With arch rivals Green Bay and Chicago playing in the conference title game, the path of least resistance is to refuse to watch the game and do something else instead. But from one football fan to another, I urge you not to do that. While we’ll surely cringe to see one of those teams celebrating a Super Bowl berth, it will be good drama and the game will likely be entertaining until the end. In addition, we’ll also get to see one of our rivals deal with the heart-breaking reality that they came up 1 game shy of reaching the Super Bowl – we all remember what that feels like, right?

I’ve decided to be a Chicago Bears fan for a day. While I enjoy going to Lambeau Field more than any other place every year, Soldier Field is a close 2nd. And the actual fan base of the Bears is much easier to tolerate than the fan base of the Packers. On top of that, my cousin lives in Chicago and has become a quasi Bears fan (except when they play the Vikings or Dolphins) so for his sake I’d like to see the city of Chicago celebrate another Super Bowl appearance.

But that’s just me. What do you think, Vikings fans? What do you want to see happen in Sunday’s NFC Championship Game? Let us know in the comments section below.

147 Responses to “Division Round Recap; Vikings Fan’s Guide To Watching NFC Champ. Game”

1. By VikesfanNO on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Naw I gotta stick with the Packers my temprary fan pass is for the Packers.

2. By guest on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

What a trader I hope packers lose I can care less if they belong in the nfc north they are still rivals.

3. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Rule of thumb is to always root for the Vikings first, and whoever is playing the Packers second. So Go Bears.

4. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

But in the end…no matter how it turns out, Go AFC!

5. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Not that I’m rootin’ for ‘em or nuthin, but I got the Packers over the Bears. The team that I am pullin’ for is them there Jets. So, I’s gots them Jets o’er them Packers.

It’s gonna fan-frickin-tastic watching the Jets cream them Packers.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

GO VIKINGS!!!!

6. By John Newby on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I am going for the Bears because Chester Taylor is awesome.

7. By CaribooBill on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Since my record for the past weekend is 3 and 1, does that mean I get to say something? Well, since this is an open blog – YES!
    OK – so two of the last 4 teams in the tournament are from the NFC North. That means that the NFC North must be the most competitive and, therefore, the best division in the NFL. That must also mean that the Vikings have a very tough row to hoe to get back into the playoffs. With Detroit’s improvement this year, the Vikings organization had better make improvements in coaching, player personnel and stadium, or we will be looking up at the sky after being run over by the other 3 teams in the division. Hiring Frazier is a good start, but much more needs to be done. I will be very interested in watching the actions taken and not taken in the coming months. Go Vikes!

8. By Ham on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

SEA! HAWK! GO 12th MAN! … Yeah no thanks.

9. By kyweaver on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

GO BEARS, lol. I mean GO AFC

10. By kyweaver on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Actually, george halas palyed a key role in advocating to bring a team to minnesota, alan page played for them. and now we are being run by former 85 bears. So why noytIm rooting for DA BEARS!!!!! plus bronko nagurski played for them too.

11. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I just found the latest Vikings update: Singletary is our LB Coach!

Nice job Frazier! Now go grab McDaniels before it’s too late!

12. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@kyweaver:

That’s why I never understood people being upset that Brett Favre a former Packer was playing for the Vikings.

You can go back and find lots of guys who used to play for the Pack and then later player for the Vikings. Darren Sharper is one.
    You can go back and find Vikings who played for the Packers later. Dave Osborn is one.

Big deal, it’s professional football.

13. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

And I had several typos in my last note. Big deal, it’s Vikings.com

14. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

It looks like the Rams weren’t able to close on a deal with McDaniels, and are instead taking a look at swiping Bevell from us! http://www.twincities.com/ci_17127364?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

It says that we are also looking at Bill MusGrave, whom I don’t know much about. But the fact that we are back to the top contenders for McDaniels right now AND Bevell officially talking to other teams bodes well.

15. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – Don’t forget to add that Ryan Longwell was also a Packer for a while. I’m not sure what his future holds, but he could sign back on with the Vikings (his contract ended this year). However it looks like he doesn’t have the leg strength any more and I think we’d be better off finding a young boot to replace him.

16. By Ham on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I hear Seattle is the top contender for McDaniels.

17. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody

I assumed that Longwell was obvious to most fans. If we go back into the archives, I’m sure that there are many scores of former Packer fans who have starred for the Vikings.

I”m not going to go researching as much as I did in the past because there are NIMRODS out there who think they can destroy what I have said with a single sentence.

18. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Oh yea, I forgot to mention for all you Favre lovers out there: Hopes have ended for him returning for his 21st season as he has officially retired for the third time!

Yea, I know you are all going to say that “he already unretired first, so he’s just playing and he’s going to unretire again…he’s Favre for Chrissake!”

But don’t forget, third time’s the charm! ;) Finally we can move on!

19. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

typo—-packer fans should be packer Players!

20. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Yea, I know you are all going to say that “he already unretired twice, so he’s just playing and he’s going to unretire again…he’s Favre for Chrissake!”

But don’t forget, third time’s the charm! Finally we can move on!

21. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

…and besides now we have two former Bears guiding the franchise!

Hopefully they can recall the glories of the 1985 Bears, and use some of that with the current Vikings team.

22. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@Fred – I didn’t catch that one! But I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a good hanfull of former Packer fans on the team right now too….

Don’t you hate typos? It just gets so easy nowadays to create them without thinking because we are all used to being able to undo our mistakes.

23. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody

You are right about typos.

24. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@Parody

This is probably old news, but there was a story about Rex Ryan saying that he was electing Jenn Sterger captain for the Vikings game! He wanted her to be able to take one good look into Favre’s eyes.

I wonder if someone on the Jets paid her to expose Favre.

25. By Derek on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

For me, if the Packers are in it, I hope they lose. but If its the Bears vs. Steelers I would like to see the Bears win. But if the Jets are in it I’d like to see them win it! Go Vikes 2011!

26. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

It seems like all the NFL and NFLPA would have to agree to, is have some minimum contracts for rookie players. Gone are the days of giving $31 million to a rookie such as DeMarcus Russell! Al Davis should be fired!

It makes you wonder how humane the thinking of these CEOs of football franchises are. 14 games and the playoffs were more than enough in the 1970s. 18 GAMES IS WAY TOO MANY!!!

I bet the Vikings didn’t even lead the league in injuries last year. That is just unacceptable.

27. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The owners says that fans are tired of the four preseason games.

Which fans are you talking to, ya money grubbin’ immoralists!

28. By Spence on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

if it isnt about the vikings- can u guys please stop making articles about other teams. i dont give a frick about who wins, all i care about is the purple nd gold

29. By chilly dip on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Skol Bears, Skol Jets, Skol Steelers, F the Pack.

30. By for4nomore on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The Great One retires without winning a SB for the Vikes. Who saw that coming? Oh yea, I did. Vikes fans cry like babies and I saw that coming and now I see your team moving to LA. c u n LA.

31. By lovefromminnesota on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I’m torn. But I have to go Bears. The Packer fans are meaner to us during the season. Lions and Bears fans treat us like it is just another game.

32. By Rick on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Wow Fred I thought hardly anyone remembered the Dave Osborne days. Anyway makes getting a ring that much more urgent

33. By Rick on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Les is already makin smart moves, Great job coach. Fixing Chillys @#%@#ups is not going to be day at the beach.

34. By Justin on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I know I should stay on topic and not discuss distractions, but here’s today’s random news of the day

35. By Justin on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

On topic, I’m cheering for the Packers all the way. Reason? I won’t end up dissapointed that Packers win it, so I’m just going to join the bandwagon.

36. By mr smiff on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@Justin:
    I call BS. If this really happened, she should have at least come forward when the $terger mess first happened. Strange that it now comes out 24 hours after he files retirement papers. If only Favre had sued the heck out of $terger and Deadspin, this wouldn’t be happening. I also blame Goodell. He knew for weeks Favre wasn’t guilty of misconduct, but he didn’t have the guts to just clear Favre. Favre was already a condemned man in everyone’s eyes and doing that would give the impression that Goodell was giving Favre a pass because he’s Favre. So instead of standing up for the man who did so much for the NFL, he wusses out, drags his findings out till the end of the season, and levies a c0ckamamie fine for “not cooperating”. (Let’s examine that. Favre met with NFL officials when asked, reportedly admitted to leaving voicemails but denied sending the pix. What exactly did he “not cooperate” on, Goddell? Dropping trou?) As much as he would like to believe differently, Goodell did Favre absolutely no favours with that fine. Instead he created an ugly and misleading perception of guilt in some people’s minds, thus opening the door for these baseless charges and frivolous lawsuits. I would not be surprised if more massage therapists and former sideline reporters “come forward” with these ridiculous claims. I hope Favre finally says enough is enough and persues legal action of his own. I hope Albert Young does too. Go Vikes!!!

37. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I choose the Bears this week-end. Mark my prediction.

38. By DRS on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Do not worry LA fan’s you will be moving from LA because it will be underwater. The next big shake and away you go. How about the Vikings moving to New Mexico, they would then be in-between AZ,TX, CO, they then could be called The NM Roadrunners. Just joking, like the Vikings moving to LA is a joke, no team has ever made a go of it there.

39. By winnebago on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I see the Vikings have a new approach, they couldn’t win a championship with ex-PACKER players so now there going to try it with ex-BEARS.

Don’t worry Detroit, your next..

40. By DRS on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Go Jets, I dislike all others left.

41. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I am not a fan of any of the teams left. But I would like to see the Bears win– then they can get fat during the off-season and we can beat them next year. I will never cheer the cheeseheads. Never.

42. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mr Smiff, in all fairness, none of us know what really happened between Favre and some of the women at the Jets. Favre has a lot of money and fame– equates to a sense of power. We don’t know. I am not saying either way– but I can describe scenarios for both sides of the argument.

43. By mr smiff on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

True, Titus. But until these women proffer solid proof or Favre confesses, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. These charges doesn’t even p@ss the smell test in my opinion. But that’s my opinion, though.

44. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hi Guys. I have tried to defend Favre all season, but this latest accusation is too close to home…so I looked into it. I have friends who are in the industry and know the person in question. Her reliability is without question. She did delete the e-mails as they were totally offensive to her, but can retrieve them forensically if necessary. Thankfully, 5 years from now….it will be forgotten and he will be a HOFer.

45. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Go Bears… I just can’t take the packers going to the SB….. Go ….I don’t really care who from the AFC, since I can’t stand either team….GO NFC!!!!

46. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

She said the guy called himself Brent.

Um, unless I’m mistaken, if she had gone to this guy’s house she would see that it wasn’t Brent but Brett.

So why would Brett lie about his name?

This whole thing is about some other guy named Brent and she decided Brent….Brett, close enough.

LOL

47. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield, You can believe what you wait…but it is still what it is…oh wait did I type wait instead of want? Please believe me…I was on your side until I found about the local. This woman has nothing to gain as she was not employed by the Vikes….. this is really hard for me as he is one of my favorite all time players….but I think that is just what he is… a playa.

48. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I’m not doubting that he’s a playa but I read the article that someone posted and it said that she reported to the police that someone named Brent sent text messages to her that were inapropiate.

I’m just saying whoever this guy Brent is probably the guy. I don’t know what her motivation would be to tell a detective a guy named Brent texted me to go see him and I didn’t but I know it was Brett Favre.

49. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Edit: “A guy…..Brett Favre.”

Forgot the quotation marks.

50. By vikesfan78 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield, I aree with you….she said she was a huge Brett Favre fan and she was really disappointed… not Brent Favre

51. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield, What does it matter if she got his first name wrong. She had hever “worked” on him before?

52. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

It matters because if Brett did send the texts then why would he lie about his name? She would see who “Brent” was soon as she opened the door.

I’m not saying that someone named Brent didn’t send her messages. I believe that part. I even believe she reported it. What I think is happening here is a website caught the police report about a massage therapist being harrassed, saw how close “Brent” is to “Brett” and ran with it.

53. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think he lied about his name….. I think she reported it or typed it wrong….Ricefield…please believe me I hope this is false…but I have a few friends who are massage therapists for the Twins who know this woman and totally believe her

54. By vikesfan78 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

who wouldn’t know the first name of the person who was “harrassing: her?

55. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

From the article it sounds like she showed the people she reported the messages to the messages. If they guy said his “I’m Brent. Come over…”

Then that would mean Brett lied about his name and there is no reason to believe that.

I don’t know the woman. I’m sure she’s nice but a typo is a pretty big leap to take to say, “She meant Brett.” My name’s Brad. Maybe it was me. My brother’s name is Brian, it could have been him to.

All I’m saying is she reported a Brent not a Brett and everybodies running with it like it was simple mistake on a report. You’re not supposed to make mistakes on a report.

56. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Brent is an uncommon name, like Brett– it’s not like John and then she wrote Fred.
    You guys are in denial. Brent and Brett are very close in spelling– almost sound alike when said– only one letter is different. On the other hand, if Brett wanted to disguise himself, you would think he would write a different name altogether. Who knows Brett well? Maybe for all we know he, in fun calls himself Brent at times– my dad used to call himself a strange name sometimes– later we discovered it was his name spelled backwards- but he did it– outside the family, you would never have known.
    What I do know is that I could write a full essay on why I think Brett may be innocent and a different essay on why he is guilty.
    I have always wondered why Brett never came out and denied it all– if you are truly innocent, would you not say so once, and then be quiet. Brett was quiet from the start, err, I mean Brent.
    Bottom line– we don’t know, but I think some things happened.

57. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The name he supposedly used really doesn’t matter. Look at the time that the message was supposedly sent. It happened just as the entire scandal broke open. Couple that with the self-incriminating way that the supposed message is written and I would bet that she probably did get this message . . . from someone who was trying to frame Brett and make the situation worse. The closest thing to proof that she provided was that she claimed the call came from Hattiesburgh MS. There’s over 44 thousand people living in that town, so I would be surprised that it didn’t have one coy little jokester who thought it would be fun to try to make the matter worse.

58. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

When I introduce myself to people I always here “Brett?” “Brent” and similar names. Probably my accent but it happens so I’d say Brad sounds pretty similar to Brett and Brent too.

59. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield, that is a bit of a stretch. Brad and Brett? Maybe. Brent and Brett– in fact, often on these blogs I saw people writing Brett as Brent.

60. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Timing is everything. So let’s ask this question: Why would Brett proceed to make moves on Masseuses immediately after he is accused of the scandal? Even if he was guilty of the first one, do you really think he’d continue to do it within days of being accused and threatened of suspension and tarnishing his reputation? Let’s get a clue here people. All other claims aside, the current one in question is obviously a hoax or lie of some sort.

61. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

No seriously. I hear it all the time. “Hi I’m Brad?”

They ask, “Brett?” or “Brent?”

And I say, “Noooo Braaaaaaaaaad” then they get it.

62. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

mrsimiff, I am calling you out…I know you are not on the site right now, but hopefully, you will get to read these posts b-4 they delete them., Everyone (including Deanna) has given Brett a pass. He is a great QB who had too many distractions to play up to his caliber. He has been an egomanatic for the last couple of years.. He thought he was bigger than the “game” and that was his downfall. He thought he was “Gods” gift to women and that he was bigger tham life…we unfortuatly found out he was not. Brett was my hero for many years….even when he was with GB. I know know he is way too human and not a good husband or father. I hope he finds love in the future, but I truly hope Deanna finds someone else who can truly love her.

63. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

edit: “Hi I’m Brad.”

it isn’t a question. lol

64. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, Thank you….dont’ get me wrong…. I love Brett as an NFL player….but it is so crucial to hear somesone agree with me.

65. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I do not think Parody was agreeing with you, Sue. His post appears to me as saying Brett may be, MAY be guilty of the first but not this recent accusation.

66. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Sue, I’m sorry but I think you misinterpreted my message. I’m only saying that, from the story that I read, the most recent sexting scandal is a hoax.

I really can’t rule on the others with nearly as much conviction from the stories I’ve heard on those.

67. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Sue, why do you need someone to agree with you? Crucial? Really? Be strong in your convictions, regardless of the majority. The majority is usually wrong.

68. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I just read your last post. I was wrong about you. Guys… I am not tryimg to push Brett under the bus….. he us one of my favorite players ever…. and that includes AC, AP, and Chuck Formane. He pushed himself under the bus. Is it any wonder that Tiger’s wife stayed with them while he was is trearment?

69. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The timing of the original accusation always raised my suspicions– three or four days before Brett returning to the Jets stadium. You think Mr Ryan is above playing dirty? Hm.

70. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Sue, I have never met a human that did not do something to be ashamed of. But, when in the public eye, and millions are involved, the truth is harder to discern. I am not going to side either way– we do not know the truth. And if it turns out Brett made some mistakes, then he is one of us. Ultimately, it’s between him, his family and God– it’s not our business.

71. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Another good point Titus. But there are too many questions that make me believe the possibility that someone in the Jets organization convinced Sterger to keep quiet until Brett came to town. Regardless it will all only be speculation unless, sometime in the distant future one of the responsibly parties comes out and publicy admits to their lie.

72. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I don’t need anyone’s approval… because I know I am right. I’m very sorry if you guys have a tough time believing that Brett is a sh#t. It is always the females fault…. I tried to believe that until the evidence proved diffent

73. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I never cared for Rex Ryan…but I never really understood why. There was always just something about his character, (even when he was just being shown standing on the sidelines), that exposed itself to me the wrong way…

74. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Sue, please don’t make this a sexist issue. That is not what we (at least Titus and I for sure) are basing any portion of our opinions on. It makes me feel that in some way you want us to fight you on the issue.

75. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I totally agree with you… I have made many mistakes….but I own up to them and move on. These are not just stupid mistakes…. He is married…. supposedly happiy….I hope to God that Deanna can forgive him.

76. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

In all honesty I disliked Brett for about 17.5 of his 20 year career. I tried to respect the skills that he had, but the fact that he was a Packer made that extremely difficult. From seeing him playing in Minnesota, and seeing how much he played just because he loved the game, it made me respect his passion.

Anything about his personal life is nothing more than accusations without confirmation. I will make every effort that I can to avoid basing an opinion on anyone based off of a contested claim.

77. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I don’t defend what Farve did, but I want to point out the timing of these incidents. This information comes to light just before the Vikings are to play the Jets. It comes to light almost 2 years after the incidents happen. It could be coincidence, but a pretty strange one at that. Now the Jets after much publicized tripping incident and a 100k fine, they present the NFL with a video of a tripping incident involving the Patriots. This is done just before the game to determine who goes to the AFC championship game. Another coincidence? The trash talking and all the rest that comes from the Jets hints to me of an organization that is not professional. I also am suspect of charges brought against someone 2 years after the fact. I am sure football players have their pick of lovely ladies no matter of marital status. It doesn’t excuse harrassment, but two years after the fact makes me think it’s more about timing and possibility of getting a quick settlement. I don’t think I stand alone in these things. Thanks.

78. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Sue, you would not say that to me if you knew me. Don’t jump to conclusions about me– and that is all I am saying about Brett. You know, you are saying it is hard to believe– let me throw a thought out and don’t get mad at me– it’s just something to ponder – we don’t know this masseuse like you say your friends do– anyone is capable of anything– if Brett could do this and we are in shock– why is it impossible for this masseuse to lie? People may know her, like you said, but how well does anyone know anyone? What Parody and I are saying— is we do not know. I never said he was innocent like so many on here said all season– I was suspicious. But I am not siding on this until the evidence is concrete.
    Parody, I agree about Ryan, that is what everyone wondered at the time.

79. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, Becuase I have been on Brett’s side for the entire season…. when it was just Jenn…it wasn’t a sexist issue. Now that I know that this massage therapist in Eden Prarie is legit and guys are still saying it’s about the $. I’m feeling a little like in the minority… but I still have to have voice for the women.

80. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Well, the two years bothered me some, but on reflection not really. If Jen Sterger were harassed by the star of the organization, it is likely in the culture of that organization, she would not feel she could accuse the superstar in a man dominated million/billion dollar sport. So she said nothing. As time passed, and Brett was gone, she felt she could speak up. Maybe Ryan took advantage of it and had known for a while and now pushed for it to be public– who knows– we do not know people– because you could tear down the facts and make an argument either way– and we only know the surface of what happened.
    By the way, I am going with the Bears and the Jets.

81. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

FYI – I’d prefer it if you refer to him as Rex. There’s a personal reason over calling him by his last name which I take offense to, of which I’m sure you are smart enough to figure out.

82. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, are you related to Rex?

83. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus – Not in the least. There just happens to be a last name that some people hold in the NFL which is often used as a first name.

84. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I have been waiting for some team to put the stop on the Jets road to the Superbowl. I think they are a low class organization with questionable tactics. I felt that Rex Ryan should have been removed for at least one game for the tripping incident. They are fighting the harrassment case and the 100k fine which they were caught. I am cheering for the Steelers this weekend.

85. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I caught it the first time– I thought it was funny to ask that– I joke, I joke.

86. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Guys, I’m going with the Packers and the Jets…..I hope it is the Jets…just because.

87. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I’m hoping for the Steelers to beat the Bears…I guess that puts me in the minority.

88. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Steelers are not exactly the classiest organization either. If Ben has done what he is alleged to have done, well, it seems a tad further than what Brent did.

89. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

One last thought ….just so you know… I never thought it was sexual harrassment… I just think he is a dawg!!!!! Just so you know…..Love you guys…Sue

90. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Ben admit to what he was alleged to have done and serve a 4-game suspension? Or is there something new now?

91. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Bears over the Jets.
    Hey, did you see McDaniels got hired by the Rams?

92. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

@Titus – Not until you brought it up….that kind of stinks. So who else are the Vikings looking at to fill the void?

93. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ben admitted is problem got counseling and served a suspension. He had to see Goodell before the suspension was lifted. His incident was serious and he took the high road so he could continue to play.

94. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

How About #4? Just kidding.

95. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

No, nothing new– Parody– but Mike said the jets are classless– I was just making note that other teams have their blemishes. By the way, if Brett admits to what he allegedly has done, does that erase it? I am not sure my point other than that a lot of teams have their dirt.

96. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know– you all know Singletary is on board? That is about all I know.

97. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

It looks like Tom Cable is off the market too. I just read a report that sad Seattle took him in.

98. By mr smiff on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

So a couple of her peers believe her. So what, Sue? That proves nothing. I read the Deadspin transcript, and a few things gave me pause:
    1. The woman claimed the alleged incident happened in September. If so, why didn’t she come forward when the $terger story, and the other claims by the other massage therapists broke? That would have only given more credence to her claim, instead of now, when she comes off more like an avaricious opportunist.
    2. She claimed she file a report with the police, and even gave the name of the officier she spoke to. She said she gave a detailed report and specifically named Favre. The officer in question did admit to speaking to her, but denied any report being filed. He also denied any names being mentioned, it was only assumed that she was referring to a Vikings player, and not a whole lot in detail was given. She says the officer is lying. But why would he? What’s his gain? He didn’t have to talk to Deadspin. He could have declined to comment, rather than risk his credibility with the public.
    3. She also claimed to have shown/told her boyfriend the texts, sending him into a rage. However, when asked for comment, he declined. Rephrase- her own boyfriend, who was so angry about Favre trying to score with his woman, chose not to support her story.
    4. She also claimed that running back Albert Young was inappropriate with her as well, going so far as to send her a picture text of himself naked. Now if you ask me, that seems to be the more egregious of the two. Yet she only seems to be legally interested in Favre, who, if you believe her, only pathetically tried to come on to her.
    I can go on. But it’s late. Hopefully you get the idea, Sue. For me, it will take a lot more than somebody else’s word to swallow what I firmly believe is a bunch of cr@p. For all I know, she fooled them too. I don’t know about you or anybody else, but I need solid proof or a clear confession before I go about believing the worst in people, and in this case, Favre.

99. By Ryan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Out of all these years my favorite oc we had was linehan but too bad he’s with the lions he was all about passing and stretching the field. The next oc needs to be upstairs in the booth that way he can see the field better and read what the defense is doing.

100. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of dirt, the same report that I just mentioned said that Cable was fired because he assulted a former assistant coach and a former girlfriend. Maybe it’s better that we didn’t bring his mess into Minnesota?

101. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Has Bevell (sp) been fired officially. I haven’t read that yet, but I may have missed it.

102. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Well said Mr Smiff. Are you an attorney? The Albert Young part does give one notice– but then again Young does not have the bank account of a Mr BreNt Favor.

103. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I do not like to judge a book by the cover, but somehow that does not surprise me about Cable.

104. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike – No, Bevell has not been officially fired. However, Frazier has publicly informed him that he can start interviewing with other teams.

105. By Ryan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Downside is no qb and o-line hope we address that soon we need stability and consistency at those positions coaching can only do so much. Drafting a qb in the 1st round is a must it is time for a new identity under center.

106. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Jets were included in the lawsuti of the two massage therapists. Jets have said the lawsuit had no merit. Which is normal in these cases.

107. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

mrsiff, I respect you, but where ther is smoke…ther is generally fire. I have the utmost respect for Brett Favre as a QB…just not as a man. Please don’t think that I am taking anything away from his professional career….cuz I’m not. I would love to see him in a coaching position in the Vkings organization.

108. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

But that’s not smoke…just hot air coming out of a buffoon on a cold day.

109. By Mike B on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure the Vikings will get a big name OC for next year. I think they should look for young talent like McDaniels that have West Coast experience. I am sure that shouldn’t be too difficult to find. Lots of coaches looking for work right now. You all have a great night.

110. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW – Who is really going to believe that sexual advances are not encouraged in a business that is named “TheRapist of Pro Athletes”?

It almost sounds as if she was begging for them to come on to her.

111. By Parody on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Or if not that, then she was the one who made the initial moves on them!

112. By mr smiff on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m not an attorney, Titus. Just somenoe who knows how to think rationally and critically. And Sue, perhaps it’s because I’m so far away, but I don’t believe there’s smoke, at least from this woman. If you have solid facts or evidence about this mess, I’d love to hear it. But for now, I’ll hold off on passing judgement.

113. By Derek on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Where’s the update about Mike Singletary lol. He got hired already and there’s no update.

And you said you wouldn’t choose Ben Roethlisberger to be a quarterback of your franchise? Who would you rather have Jamarcus Russell?

Look what Big Ben has done in his career with mediocre receivers. Come on, get a grip on logic bro.

114. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Everyone is in love with Walter Payton. He is also supposed to have had extra-marital affairs in several NFL cities.

But there is no proof. That is why all the allegations against Favre, or any Vikings cannot be considered solid evidence at this time.

The fact that this latest thing about the therapist mentions other Vikings does not make it more valid.

I have my own opinions about what happened. But that does not make it a fact!!!

115. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

At this time we do not have facts about the Sterger + Therapists + Favre.

Smoke maybe, but not PROOF of smoke. They could be lies.

Besides, is any of us good enough to throw stones. We are all guilty of sin.

116. By Tim on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

i got the jets beating the steelers and the packers beating the bears i think and hope that the jets pound the sh*t out of the packers in the superbowl

117. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Absolutely, Fred. I cannot condemn someone– not my place, nor duty. Especially when there is no solid evidence. Smoke? What kind of analogy is that? We are talking about human beings who will start fires in the name of self-interest.

118. By guest on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I hope we lose out on musgrave we need to get a spread offense oc maybe from college wouldn’t be a bad idea.

119. By for4nomore on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Is this the #4 gossip page? Dear Brett, always thought you were crazy but now I see your nuts. Ouch! Good luck next season losers.

120. By purple&gold on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Bevell going to Seattle?

121. By LAVikes on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Did you get that roof fixed yet? I didn;t think so. You know there’s no way the NFL has a game in that stadium, right. You know that, right? Anyone?

122. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I believe we are entering a dynasty era– Coach Frazier will bring us a title.

123. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

124. By DWang on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I can’t bring myself to root for Jay Cutler cause I can’t think of a worst picture then Jay Cutler blankly staring at the Super Bowl MVP trophy so I’m rooting for the Packers

125. By packerfanfirst on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

DWang knows. How’s that rebuilding thing going? Cam won’t be around for the 12th pick, huh. Sorry Vikings fans.

126. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Packer Fan, congratulations that you are in the championship game. No need to be rude, dude. It’s a game. A game. I am glad you have something to look forward to and I hope it works out for you.

127. By packerfanfirst on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Titus, ESPN predicts Vikes take OT Solder from CO w/12th pick. What do you think?

128. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Packerfanlast, (could change your blog name?)

Picking an Offensive Tackle is a good move for the Vikings. That could enable there to be more competition at the tackle positions.

129. By packerfanfirst on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Freddie J Sure. Would you prefer LA Vike, for4nomore or NovaScotiaVke.

130. By Tim on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

i dont understand why these Fu*k head packer fans gotta Fu*k around on the vikings website they should just p*ss off and be happy there in the nfc title game i can promise next season we are gonna smack the Sh*t out of those butt packers

131. By 123 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

With the 12th pick the minnesota vikings select…………… Cam Newton out of auburn the crowd roaring in happiness.

132. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

cam newton sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

133. By Shawn on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

cam newton isnt smart enough for the NFL

134. By bob on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Vikings will select ryan mallet

135. By Titus on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

If I were a Packer fan and I wanted to agitate or rile someone, I think I would go to the Bears site first. Maybe the Packer fans forgot who they are playing this week-end? Packer fans, we are here for you, if you need someone to cry to after the week-end.
    GO BEARS!!!!

136. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

packerfannomore,

Freddie J is my name the J stands for jump shot! (I couldn’t resist)

Actually you have to be very careful if you change names. You might have to use a different e-mail to log in.

How about NFC North First?

137. By Frederick Jones on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

It wasn’t too long ago when the NFC Central/North was the worst division in the NFL.

Who knows maybe the Lions will win the division next year. Stranger things have happened.

138. By Tim on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Titus you the MAN

139. By Guest on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I hope the vikings get the titans rb coach heard they were interested imagine chris johnsons running back coach to the vikings hope the story is true that would be some crazy stuff.

140. By Arrow86 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

123: Cam Newton has the head of JaMarcus Russell. Remarkable talent, but the money he will command and the performance he’ll give don’t make him a very good value.

It’ll be tough for the Packers to beat the Bears in the quagmyhre that is Soldier field, that being said, if Rodgers is anywhere near as accurate as last week I give the Pack the nod in a close one. I may not have the stats to back me up, but I feel the Pack secondary is better than the Bears. Rodgers is a little better at the QB spot than Cutler. Everything else seems pretty evenly matched.

141. By Tim on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Cam Newton all the way 123 that kids got some MAD potencial. if we get him though our offencive line needs to keep him from getting his head tore off by guys like matthues and sue and dont forget about peppers. those guys are beasts im sure with all this good coaching coming our way our Oline problems will be figured out and they can give Cam the time in the pocket to make explosive plays. i just think he would fit in really good in minnesota every rookie needs to learn how to compete against the BIG Boys but one way or the other Cam Newtons gonna get drafted then we can all see if he has the right to call himself a PRO because the NFL aint college you are competing against the greattest football players in the WORLD……………………..

142. By K'net on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I dislike the packers more, and plus if Chester Taylor gets a healthy number of yards than maybe if Childress is watching somewhere he’ll start beating himself up over letting a guy like that go. Plus, from the few experiences I’ve had with bears fans, they seem nicer than packer fans.

It does say something to the NFC north that two of our teams are in the NFC championship game. Still, it doesn’t make our divisional record any easier to think about.

143. By Tim on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

it just proves that the NFC north is the best devision in the NFC

144. By Anna on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

The Bears are the lesser of the two evils. Sure, they’re an NFC North rival but they don’t have quite the huge rivalry with the Vikings that the Packers do. Plus, I have a few friends who are Packers fans and I’ll never hear the end of it if the Packers go to the Super Bowl.

145. By AK's with MMEMSO on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

ANNA is an ASHOLE for ANESSUP.
    She’s the CULTR in VIRGINIA eith MACK.
    She’s a METAL VIKING DOOR with METAL MAKE- UP –
    METTETAL in GUN- RUNNING with RUSH.
    YSCRO- YSPARK – EPARK- EPENS- ECCOMPPO are all DIRDIMEN and MMEMSO rats on JESTOCCO with ADUCCA .
    MPEARLL- MPARENT doing the AKIMP!

146. By John on May 18, 2013 | Reply

great put up, very informative. I wonder why the
    other specialists of this sector don’t realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

2. Jan 18, 2011: Division Round Recap; Vikings Fan’s Guide To Watching NFC Champ. Game | Vikings Stop Blog