Coaching Staff Update

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 17, 2011 – 8:49 am

Many of you had coaching staff questions for this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag, so I wanted to address the issue here on the blog with a couple points…

– We haven’t had a lot of updates and that’s because there haven’t been many developments, at least not many developments that the team wished to make public. There are times when it’s best to keep developments in-house, but when it’s appropriate to disclose developments you’ll be able to find updates right here on vikings.com.

– It was reported that former Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels interviewed in Minnesota for a position on the staff, but there’s been no word on how that interview went or where McDaniels is in his decision-making process. McDaniels has also interviewed with the St. Louis Rams.

– Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Vikings and Mike Singletary are in talks to bring the former 49ers Head Coach and Chicago Bears LB (he was teammates with Leslie Frazier in Chicago) on board as an assistant coach. I have not spoken with anyone to confirm this report.

– Expect many NFL teams to finalize some positions on their coaching staffs this week because the Senior Bowl begins this weekend in Alabama. Coaching staffs from across the league attend the Senior Bowl each year as part of their pre-draft preparation process.

– The only official coaching staff changes made by the Vikings so far were the parting of ways with QBs coach Kevin Rogers and OL coaches Pat Morris and Jim Hueber.

126 Responses to “Coaching Staff Update”

1. By Dave on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I can’t help but to think that adding singletary as a lb coach could be an awesome addition to our staff :-) I or my fingers crossed for him and mcdaniels as well :-)

skol vikes!!

P.S. Mike you could always update any changes through Twitter cuz I follow you on there as well :-) thanks for the updates :-)

2. By Malte on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey dave.. follow the vikings on twitter, they will announce updates on their twitter..

3. By 4eversteve on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Frazier has made it very clear that he wants to run the ball, that being the case they need a tough no nonsense or BS type person to coach the O-line I believe the best candidate for the job is Tom Cable. Can’t speak for everybody else but I for one was tick-off with the effort put forth by our O-line this pass season in both the run and pass blocking areas. Time after time we watched Adrian Peterson being hit in the offensive backfield as he was receiving the hand off from the quarterback or the quarterback being sacked before he can even complete a three step drop for a quick throw. I believe it was mainly a product of bad O-line coaching, they have the girth needed too move people maybe a little to much, agility drills should be a priority in OTA’s and mini camps Cable I Think would bring what is needed Toughness, take no prisoners attitude will be the norm instead of whoa did they actually execute a blocking assignment every now then is what we as fans had witness this pass season!

4. By grizz on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The offensve line play has been poor at best. The running game has been getting worse. First they let Tony Richardson go, he is one of the better full backs in the league. Then they let Matt Birk go, add to that poor offensive line coaching and that is why we are where we are at. I am glad to see Frazier willing to make the moves in letting staff go.

5. By Viking on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

This team badly needs a qb no more underachieved veterans that jump team to team it is time to build a qb and turn him into a franchise qb we need to draft a qb in the 1st round and also maybe draft another one in the 2nd round. This team has been signing a bunch of old leftover qb’s in the past or veterans that have not proved anything. It is time to draft a qb and mold him into a superstar we haven’t drafted a qb in the first round for a while last time was culpepper I think correct me if i’m wrong. Frazier it is time to draft couple qb’s in this draft webb is not a long term solution.

6. By Viking on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Its funny how frazier wants to only run the ball I’m telling you that plan isn’t going to work if you are behind. We are not a shutdown defense to only run the ball and kill the clock. Teams are pass happy nowadays if we run the ball and we fall behind guess what we will struggle catching up because are mentality is a run first team and now we can’t pass. We need to be balanced and score points fast to put pressure off the defense then when we are in a lead we can pound it out on the running game. We rely too much on our defense to bail us out that is why we lost so many games. Our offense needs to light it up we don’t score points to put teams out of it and plus when we run the ball a lot we are keeping a close game because all we are doing is killing the clock but when the other teams get the ball back they air it out. Teams beat the vikings by scoring fast and getting them to throw because they know that is our weakness we are better running than passing.

7. By vinking2009 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb has the potential to be a superstar. His pure athletic ability is one of the best in the NFL. Watch his training videos on youtube. He jumped over 6 and half foot high bags vertically. Use the draft picks on what the team needs defensive backs and safteys. How many times all year have we seen blown coverage or receivers getting open over the middle. The oline def needs help, hopefully Mckinney loses the 35lbs he needs to, he was getting beat all year.

8. By Tim on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

yes we need to draft a QB in the first round i would like to see cam newton with the vikings and i think the rests of our concerns should be on rebuilding our Oline i think once cedric griffin gets back that will fix a lot of problems in our secondary our main needs are a QB we can build an offencive line around

9. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

:) :) :) :) :)

It seems obvious that we need offensive linemen more than anything.

10. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

—–Competition at every position——-

11. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

We will still need defensive backs, and another quarterback. :0

12. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure that we need another developmental quarterback. We have two right now. (Although I do not think the Vikings will keep Tarvaris Jackson…Let it be known that I am one of the few people who still think he can be a great NFL quarterback. Probably not with the Vikings, since we have given up on him!)

13. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I just want to say thanks Mike for trying to answer my question in the Monday Morning Mailbag.

Singletary is good news. Talking to him is a smart move and the history between Frazier and Singletary can only be a good thing.

Here’s to hoping that Singletary joins the Frazier regime and the start of good things to come.

14. By Parody on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

We gave up on him back in 2008 when the fans booed him off the field. Who in this world is going to give his best effort for a team whose fans never gave him a realistic chance? Our fans expect players to be superstars the second they step on the field, and that could be our biggest weakness. If we as fans never give players a chance to develop and adjust to the NFL then they’ll all be jumping on the first chance they get to move to a city that will.

15. By mr smiff on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure about Cable for o-line coach. The Raider o-line was lousy at best. He alwys tends to want to put “his guys” in as opposed to playing the better man. I don’t believe the Viking o-line will be better with him in charge at all.

16. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know if I believe the fans didn’t have reason to abandon TJack. He had flashes of being a good quarterback but he didn’t have an accurate arm. The throw to Rice in the Buffalo game was a prime example. He also wasn’t as good on the road as he was at home and a quarterback has to be able to lead his team into hostile territory and win.

The way he played in Detroit against the Giants was simply pathetic and wasn’t up to NFL standards. A player has to be consistent in order to keep the fans behind him and TJack just isn’t consistent enough for the fans to have faith that he can win the game.

17. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@mr smiff … where do you get you insane ideas? Raiders for the first time in how many years finished the season without a losing record … it seems they got better under Cable, Raiders have been bottom 5 in the league the last 4ish years … and he had the Al Davis handicap who wanted Jemarcus Russell

Tom Cable is a good coach

18. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

why does it say my comment is awaiting moderation?

19. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

why are my posts wating for moderation?

20. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I think the vikes do need to take a qb with their first pick. Maybe even trade up to get one that they really like. The rest of the picks can be used to address the other areas of need. As for our db’s, I think they will perform better next year. We had our 3rd and 4th stringers playing because griffen was out and cook was injured for pretty much the whole season. I think cook will improve much this off season. But i would say getting a qb is most important, then fixing oline, then the secondary.

21. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@mr smiff … where do you get your insane ideas? Raiders for the first time in how many years finished the season without a losing record … it seems they got better under Cable, Raiders have been bottom 5 in the league the last 4ish years … and he had the Al Davis handicap who wanted Jemarcus Russell

Tom Cable is a good coach

22. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

xvike can you see 3 posts in a row by me right above you?

23. By Dave on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I follow them too :-) thanks

24. By OLD SCHOOL on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Frazier sees the Bears-Packers game as indication that “we’ve got a lot of work ahead of us to get back to being NFC North champs. That would be two years in a row you’d have someone from the NFC North playing in the championship game.”

Just like I have been saying…we are looking at a HARD 3 or 4 years ahead of us and maybe more if we don’t draft that special QB! The rest of the NFC North will kicking our A#$%$# for awhile!

EVEN THE COACH KNOWS THIS AND WITH A.P. HEADING INTO HIS LAST 2 OR 3 YEARS BEFORE WE ALWAYS SEE THE ELITE RB’S START TO TAKE A TURN TOWARDS RETIREMENT OR LESS CARRIES…..WE ARE SOOOO F$%^%$!

25. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

yes i can

26. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I bet if the vikes had mark sanchez or josh freeman, they would’ve been booed off the face of the earth after their rookie seasons…….. You have to admit, they were both horrible and i’m sure most fans thought they weren’t the answer but their coaches stuck with them and look at where they are now. I bet a lot of nyj and tampa fans are eating their words right now.

27. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Agreed xvike,

But TJack isn’t a Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman. TJack probably is talented but he wasn’t able to feed off his own success. Watching him play, I always had the thought that he was uncomfortable and didn’t have that natural confidence that is usually part of being a quarterback.

On the other hand, watching Webb, for instance, you can actually see his confidence that he has talent and belongs on the football field no matter what position they put him in.

It’s almost like you see him saying, “Okay, you want a quarterback, then I’ll be a quarterback and I’ll be the best quarterback. You want a reciever, I can do that too.”

I mean it’s that confidence that sets the extraordinary from the good. You know what I mean?

28. By James on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Nfc north is the black and blue division but when it comes down to beating elite afc teams they won’t whomever the bears or packers face they won’t beat pitt or jets.

29. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

True but look at all the support that the nyj and tampa coaches gave their qb’s. Raheem morris and rex ryan supported freeman and sanchez. As soon as tjack made a bad decision, or threw an int, you could already see the disappointment on chilly’s face. Its bad when the fans aren’t on your side, but its even worse when your coach doesn’t believe in you. After 3 games, chilly replaced him with frerotte. If sanchez or freeman had been playing for us their rookie year, how long do you think it would’ve taken for chilly to replace them??? I still believe that Jackson needs to play at least a full year, which is 16 straight games if he is ever to become a good qb or for people to judge him. But at this point of his career, its kind of too late. After all he did show glimpses of being a good qb his rookie year.

30. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Bottom line is, all tjack needed was one year as a fulltime qb. Not part time as he was for most of his career in mn. Josh freeman and sanchez got one full year of playing time and it finally paid off. I’m not saying that Tjack would’ve been a freeman or sanchez, but he had just as much a chance to because he played better than they both did in the 2-3 games he played as a rookie. And if he wasn’t the answer, then away with him. Seriously, sanchez and freeman were horrible last year. I doubted that they had what it took to be a good nfl qb but they proved a lot of people wrong this year.

31. By Carl K on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

xvike- What happened when tjack got his shot this year? He got his toe hurt. Every year it has been the same issue with Tjack – injury bug or inconsistant play. He had his opportunity to win the job but could do it. IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON.

32. By Carl K on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb is better than Tjack.

33. By Old School on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Either one of those guys are the answer!

Draft baby…….Draft!

34. By animal26 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Mike, if you are reading this. Would you be able to tell us the mystery guys Frazier has been talking about for Offensive Coordinator? I don’t think I can wait for tomorrow.

35. By mr smiff on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Shawn
    The Raiders success this year had a lot more to do with OC Hue Jackson than with Cable. It was Jackson who delivered the final verdict on Jamarcus Russell that finally got him kicked out of Oakland. It was Jackson that called the plays. It was Jackson that got production out of Darren McFadden after 2 years. It was Jackson that had the offense going with Campbell going despite an o-line that is 6th in the league in sacks allowed and Cable wanting Gradkowski.. Cable was let go because of a rift that emerged between the two- Cable felt threatened, Jackson felt undermined. Al Davis had to choose between his coach and his much-improved offense. So don’t let the 8-8 record fool you. Cable was fired for a reason.

36. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mr Smiff, this championship game should be fantastic– what a match-up.

37. By xvike on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

LOL so its his fault he got hurt? its his fault he was running for his life the that game??? Had brett been playing that game, he probably would’ve died. Good thing tjack was in because he was mobile enough to only sustain a minor injury. And you call 2-3 games an opportunity? Sanchez got a whole season. Freeman got a whole season. They both did horrible but their coaches never let up and they improved much from one whole season. Did tjack ever get a real fair opportunity? It seems like if he didn’t play perfect, then everyone wanted off the field. I don’t know if its just vikings fans, but it seems like the majority of vikings fans expect perfection from every player who starts. I’m not defending Tjack, and i do agree that we need to move on. I’m just saying had he been given a whole season to play, and maybe if we had better coaching, he probably could’ve turned out to be a good qb.

38. By vikesfan10 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

draft blaine gabbert trade up if we have to use edwards as trade bait

39. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

xvike, people are quick to judge. I agree with everything you said. History is full, I mean full, overflowing with the most successful people– that were all once called failures. People can only see past their nose.

40. By animal26 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

vikesfan10, we cant trade Edwards, because he is not under contract

41. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

It’s nice to see that Titus, and xvike think highly of Tarvaris Jackson.

He needs a chance to play. He may be better off playing Arena Football for a year, or so. Or the UFL, or NFLEurope.

Right now, he has all the tools.

42. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s SICK that they fired Cable when he led them to their best season since 2000 (or was it 2002?).

Someone should fire Al Davis.

43. By mr smiff on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I can’t say I’m thrilled at the prospect, Titus. The P3ckers are playing. Just think- all we needed was a decent o-line and some quality receivers, and that would have been us. Sigh.

44. By Justin on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Not to say Singletary won’t be the answer, but it’s a start. I pray Frazier makes the right decisions in rebuilding our team…

45. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Smiff, Titus, Ricefield, Shawn, xvike

It’s good to see that the old regular bloggers are still alive and well :)

46. By Justin on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Eh, the Packers have to go through the Steelers, who I see winning the AFC championship. Their defense is wicked. Good Luck Packers. If you guys make it to the Super Bowl and face them, be very prepared.

47. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, JC is taking good care of me.

48. By leebo1213 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

If we draft(puked in my mouth) cam newton we will have wasted a first round pick. The guy flopped in the big game, the qb from oregon that nobody has really talked about looked better ! Reggie Bush ring a bell, highly touted heisman winner that doesnt even start for the saints unless one of the other free agent backs go down ! Mcnabb 2 years to let webb study up, take a first round dt or aj green,sign nnamdi asomugha, get ocho cinco or someone like him (high profile) to keep secondaries honest

49. By mr smiff on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Aaron Rodgers is a beast right now. He’s almost singlehandedly beating other teams in their own stadium. Be it this year or whenever, him being a multiple SB champ is inevitable. As long as he and McCarthy stay together, it will happen.

50. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Titus,

Why did you change your blog name?

I had to change my e-mail to get back on vikings.com blog.

51. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Fred,

It’s more relaxing. The other name, I just got argumentative— almost like a change in personality.

52. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

It’s good to see you too, Frederick.

I have some question concerning OC’s.

Does anybody know if the OC for the Falcons in the 2000-04 seasons was? I think that’s when Vick had the Falcons in playoff contention every year.

Anyway, if that is available, what would you all think about picking him up as our OC with the idea in mind to grow Webb into Vick 2.0?

Sorry, I don’t know the guy’s name. For all I know, he could be retired or on someone else’s staff under contract.

53. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Whoa,

I really need to proof read.

What I meant to ask is…

Do we know if that guy is available?

And..

What do you guys think about picking him up if he is with the idea in mind of making Webb into Vick 2.0?

54. By vikingfaninwhodatville on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

What is everyones thoughts on bringing in Cable to coach O-line?

I would love to see Singletary involved with coaching our defense, either as LB or maybe even DC.

Has anybody heard anything bout who they may be bringing in for QB coach?

55. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

anyone on? what do you guys think of the NFC championship game? predictions?

56. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I am confident Frazier will bring in an award-winning team that fits together– there are a lot of great names we can all mention– but will they all work right, from the perspective not just of knowledge and background, but their personalities and how they buy into the bigger picture, the vision of the Vikings’ organization. I think next season should be exciting– 10 wins at least.

57. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Hi Stephanie,

I think that game is going to be something to watch but the Packers are playing great and have gone into every other playoff teams home and kicked butt. Doing so in Chicago with their field is a tough task, but I think the Pack is going to the Big Game and so the Packer fans are going to be unbearable the entire off season.

Hopefully, we’ll shut them up when we play next year.

58. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

lol Ricefield. yeah, it’s annoying, but the Packers are looking ridiculously good. Rodgers is playing great (I have to add he has one of the most talented receiving corps of any team) and the defense is just as good. darn it. I’m sure they’ll love to rub it in. remember–the Packers were 13-3 in 2007, lost in overtime in the NFC championship game, went 6-10 the next season, and then have been back to the playoffs two years in a row. so there’s no telling what next season will be like. although the O-line and QB situation is uncertain.

59. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, next year is going to be awesome. Just seeing what Frazier does to rebuild this team is something to look forward to.

I think he’s going to do what he can with the o-line but I really think he’s going to concentrate on defense.

We could see the emergence of a Jets or Steeler like defense next year which will make whoever our QB is job easier.

I don’t know about playoffs but I definitely see more wins and being a contender late in the season.

But that’s just me.

60. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@Ricefield,

It seems like Singletary, Cable, and other head coaches would be awesome. But they would have to be willing to be an assistant coach again. It might be better to get someone hungry, and obtain…(see next blog)…

61. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

—some Offensive Linemen!!!

62. By Frederick Jones on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Stephanie,

I also look to the Bears to dominate the Packers in the trenches. But I wouldn’t bet a dime on this game!

Okay maybe a dime on the Bears!!!

63. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

it should be a good game…I think the Bears defense has played Rodgers well this season for the most part. They only allowed Green Bay to score 10 points in the season finale, so it should be a closer game–especially since it’s within the division.

64. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

If the Bears put pressure on Rodgers and I mean real pressure as in hit a few times they could cause another concussion and the Bears will win the game. Anything less, and I think the Pack has it in the bag.

65. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I chose the Bears before Saturday’s game (I picked the Pack over Atlanta), but when I think how the Seahawks started to score (after being down 28-0 at halftime), I am not so sure– I think the Pack could score from the start and figure out the Bears D sooner as they already know them well. BUT, I am going with the Bears because I think the Bears are a little more rested and their D is much better than Seattle– and at home. Peppers and Urlacher are going to eat Rodgers.
    Bears by 7.

66. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Wait, I am not sure the end of my ramble made sense. Bears D is better than Atlanta’s and Philly’s– remember Philly was in that game to the end.

67. By Shawn on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

i think ricefield nailed the TJack discussion he isnt very confident in his abilities and you can see from Joe Webb he is a football player

68. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Rodgers is good, but does anyone notice how he always does that motion after a big play where he acts like he’s putting on a title belt? can anyone see Favre doing that? I don’t think so. I mean Favre has gotten excited and pointed his finger in the air and celebrated with teammates, but he’s never drawn attention to himself like that on the field.

69. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Shawn.

70. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

but of course it would be nice to have a QB like Rodgers. One thing I’ve noticed about Joe Webb is that he’s confident. Shawn I’m not sure what you were talking about earlier, but it sounds like you were talking about Tjack not having confidence and that is so important as a QB–both in making plays and being a leader.

71. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Stephanie,

I don’t like that either but I think it is because of Favre that he does it. Trying to hard to replace the irreplaceable if you know what I mean.

When he’s been in the league for ten years and won a couple of Superbowl and gone to the probowl half a dozen times then he can put on the belt.

Until then, he’s good but he’s not that good.

72. By Slice on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know who made the comment about Webb but you did not pay attention to his playing in Philly. I think all the stats on Webb match those of Vick when he came into the league. Yes we need to get more QB’s but Webb is 1000 times better than Jackson (over rated) ever was!!!!!!!!!!

73. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Stephanie,

Shawn was refering to this post earlier in the thread….

By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Agreed xvike,

74. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield, agreed. how can you play well if you’re not confident? Joe Webb has plenty of confidence, even if he’s still raw. he’s talented and he knows it. I’m all for players being confident, just as long as they’re not full of themselves.

75. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Not that I like smack talkers but the Jets are a prime example of an entire team that has confidence in what they can do on a football field.

And even when they talk a lot of smack, they try to back it up on gameday.

Personally, I wish they’d shut up and just play but if talking smack is what gets you fired up for gameday then I guess I could see my way to accepting it.

I wouldn’t like the Vikings to be a bunch of trash talkers but if they did and played like the Jets then I’m all for it.

76. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I know people get annoyed at the Jets for smack talking, but like you said Ricefield, if they back it up by winning, then I guess it helps! I actually heard Rex Ryan after the game say he respects the heck out of the Patriots and they’re a great team, etc. I think he’s a good guy that just sometimes spouts off too much, but he tells his team they’re going to win the superbowl and he’s gotten them to buy into that. you don’t get to the AFC championship game two years in a row if you don’t know how to coach your team.

77. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

That would be a heck of a game if the Jets and Packers made it to the Superbowl. A possibility that is more than likely.

The Steelers are getting old and the Bears have their work cut out for them.

Just hearing the Packers and Jets dog each other for two weeks would be awesome and the game would be a good one.

Yeah, I think that’s my pick for the Superbowl. Jets and Packers. Jets by less than 7.

78. By DRS on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

xvike, what would you call 2008 for T-Jack? How long do you give a man befor you move on? Forever?

79. By DRS on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

xvike, T-Jack had his chance, could haves, would haves, do not work in the NFL, when you get your chance you perform or you chock and you are out.

80. By DRS on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Oops ( choke )

81. By Titus on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

82. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I found that OC’s name I was looking for but I can’t find anyother information on him.

His name is Greg Knapp and it doesn’t seem like he still coaches. I can’t find any information on him being with another team.

I think he’s retired. I have no idea how old he is but what do you guys think about getting him out of retirement to coach the Viking offense?

83. By Ricefield on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I spoke too soon. It looks like he is with Seattle, so that idea goes out the window.

84. By Mike B on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

LOL TJack will not be a viking next year. He doesn’t have the tools to be a NFL QB. 2008 We had Gus Ferrotte to keep us in contention for the season. Childress pulled him after an injury in favor of his guy TJack. TJack held on to get us into the play offs for a single game. The Vkiings have not found the QB of the future, but give Joe Webb a chance to compete for the position. Thank You Brett Farve for some very fond memories. You were not at fault for this season. There are some serious needs on the Team though QB, O Line, D Line, D Secondary, and we are going to need a Kicker as longwell is a Free agent. I feel there will be some frugal decisions next year if the CBA is not decided soon.

85. By Geiber on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I know this has nothing to do with this subject, but in my opinon i believe that the vikings need, i repeat need! A good young quarterback, brad johnson, gus brett, who else did we get that was washed up and junk. We need Mallet! Mallet is the real deal! I doubt we will get him thought we need a young qb that we develop and turn into a “franchis QB”, the vikings dont need to go out and win next year, we need to get good and now 100% were going to win not just build it up quick slap it together and hope for the best!

86. By Stephanie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Geiber, uh, Brett was not washed up last year. but yes, the Vikings need a QB of the future.

87. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Stephanie. We are known for going after free agent QB’s or dafting those that will never be franchise QB’s( like T-Jack)

88. By Arrow86 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield: I think Greg Knapp went to the Niners and had to put up with Terrell Owens sideline rants. BUt I may be confused with someone else. I wish I could get pumped about the purple. The Packer’s are a much younger team. They play as a team. I’m more aligned with Old School. If we do things right, we’ll be toward the top again in 3-4 years. We’re past prime on some key guys who make a ton of dough and last years performances doesn’t endear them to other teams due to the salary they command.

89. By Titus on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Stephanie– for the record, that was not me the other night– when I said I was going to bed that was the end of my postings– the impostor took over– he fooled some of you from what I read the next day, but he showed his negativity at one point– the comments he said about your evening attire were not me– I assure you, as a follower of the master, JC, that would be crossing the line.
    Now, I suppose the impostor might rear its head, because attention is like gasoline to his antics.

90. By David on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

All I have to say is keep Josh McDaniels as far away from the Vikings staff as you can.. or he may find a way to trade AP if he’s on the Vikings staff

91. By Stephanie on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

sorry Titus! wish I could tell when it was the real you! I’ll try to not be so gullible next time, lol.

92. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Titus,

The imposter may lose his right to write blogs on Vikings.com.

93. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I find it very hard to believe there will be no NFL football next year. It’s the most popular sport in the USA. And there is money to be earned!

Then again we have had 2 World Wars, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and on it goes.

My prediction is that the strike will go into the 2011 season, but cooler heads willl prevail, and they will be playing by the 8th week.

94. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The latest on the CBA is that the players are getting the AFL-CIO involved to try to get congress to negotiate an agreement.

Congress should be involved. We are talking A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY.
    Money rules the world, so you would think something could be worked out!!!

95. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The players union claims that each city would lose $160 million if there is no NFL season. The league claims this is an inflated figure.

The league argues that this is a labor dispute and congress should not be involved.

It’s realistic that congress will be involved in this dispute. But when has congress ever acted with speed?

96. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The league wants a 1 billion dollar reduction in salaries and an 18 game season.

Judging by the Vikings RASH of INJURIES in 2010, the league should be sued for INSANITY for even suggesting an 18 game season. We should cut back to 14 games!!!

97. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I think the league is using the “Ask for a lot, and you will get something” philosophy.

Salaries should stay the same. When have you heard of salaries being cut back?

98. By The Truth on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

If we dont get Mcdaniels, we will suck next year like we did this year. 1 of the coaching problems was gone, Chilly…now we need to get rid of Bevell and his simplistic, easy to know whats coming predictable defense.

Singletary coming in would be a great acquisition too, it would take some pressure off of Leslie in terms of defense playcalling, and give the vikings a figure who will demand the respect of the lockeroom, and demand the players respect Frazier. Singletary helped coach Ray Lewis, and if Ray Lewis loved him..to quote herm edwards “WHY NOT!?”

99. By The Truth on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Offense for bevell obviously **

100. By Frederick Jones on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Better yet, bring in Steve “Stone Cold” Austin, and have him come in and beat the respect into them!

101. By VikingRod on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

What is this I hear about Mike Singeltary coming to the Vikings as an assistant coach?

102. By Tim on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

and then again we could always build a great Oline around Joe Webb but we need guys who can open up holes for AP and Webb

103. By Tim on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

one thing i noticed alot this last season adrian peterson would get the hand off and run either right in to loadholt or mckinnie it seemed like at times he had a hard time getting around those guys we need at least one smaller but very strong O tackle because loadholt and mckinnie are like about the same size and they are kind of slow i mean those guys are giants i just think one of them needs to go so AP has a little more running room.

104. By 98vikes on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Frazier it would be nice to keep the fans updated the news has been slow lately.

105. By vikes on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The vikings need to really get ahead of some teams by using the potential lockout to their benefit. The way they do this is simple( if zigge wants to spend money) just get top notch players like nnamdi asomagha, and maybe some offensive line men. Others teams ownership doesnt want to spend money because of the fear of a lockout so vikings should get ahead of everyone else and sign these players.

106. By Jay Lad on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I hate when teams say “we need to be a Defensive oriented team or Offensive oriented team”, I think a TEAM should be good in all 3 phases of the game “Defense, Offense, and Special Teams”. I hope Lesly is committed in doing just this so Vikings can be a Championship caliba team.

107. By Tim on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

i agree with you Jay Lad to be a super bowl calliber football team you need to be sound on every level of the game.

108. By Ricefield on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Jay Lad and Tim,

But even balanced teams have one faze that is superior to the others while being competitive in the others.

And then you had teams like the Greatest Show on Turf Rams who excelled at offense but had sloppy special teams and sub par defense but still won the Superbowl and went to a second one. Or teams like the Ravens who have a great defense and is annually in the playoffs and just now their offense is starting to pick up.

So, being that this is a rebuilding year, I hope that we can at least excell at one faze while being competitive in the others.

Seeing as we have some pieces on the defense and fewer needs (basically a shut down corner) then it is reasonable to expect that that will be the focus.

Also, since no matter what we’re probably going to be dealing with an inexperienced quarterback (or a quarterback past his prime) then a good defense would make the offense’s job easier.

At least, that’s how I see it.

109. By Z Man on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

VinKing- Joe Webb can jump 6 ft???? WHO CARES??? He can’t throw a ball 5 feet. He is a QB in the NFL, wait- no he isn’t, but you think he is a high jumper. He needs to try out for Team USA for the Olympics.

110. By WebbHaterHater on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I’m down here in Phoenix and I think the Cardinals may make a play for T-Jack. He blistered them here a couple years ago and I think Wisenhunt hasn’t forgot that. I hate the Cardinals, but I would love to see Tavaris here if the Vikings don’t resign him. A change of scenery could set the spark this kid needs to have a future in the NFL. Otherwise he might as well cross the border to the north.

Side note: all in for Singletary, just to see him raging on the sideline.

111. By vikingfaninwhodatville on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Well it is now official……….Singletary is LB coach and Asst HC………Love it, one of the best MLB’s in the game ever to do nothing but make EJ and the other LB’s better than they already are!!!!

112. By billiy ace on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mike Singletary joining Vikings’ staff, Rams hire Josh McDaniels

113. By Arrow86 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Z man: Get a clue! Webb isn’t Joe Montana, as a passer. But he’s 1 season in and has had limited game action. He can develop.

As for the reasonable people out there. I’m glad Singletary is on staff. At times last season I felt the Viking players and coaches didn’t show enough passion on the sideline. That won’t be a problem with Coach Singletary.

114. By 98vikes on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

We should of got rid of defensive backs coach joe woods also.

115. By kraze k on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Why not put up the new coaches as they are decided to be with the vikings organization? We know that Mike Singletary is with the vikings now why not update us on that information as it comes

116. By MGR4FUN on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

michael pouncey c/g from florida needs to be the first selection by the purple and in the second round the best OT available … db’s in the 4th and 5th and 6th if neccessary … the best qb is goin back to stanford so joe webb is gonna get another year prove he is bigtime

117. By Duane N on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Glad they got Singletary.

Totally agree that Webb looks more comfortable and confident than Jackson. Looking forward to having a starting QB that actually practices with the team all year.

Disappointing McDaniels went to the Rams. Would have been a big upgrade imo. Hopefully he ends up regretting it like Housmanzedah in 09. I’ll always dislike him for choosing the Seahawks, man we woulda been unstoppable.

118. By Nevada Viking Fan on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Vikings need to sign Kevin Kolb from the Eagles. This and some good OL & defensive back drafts and the Vikings are on the way to the playoffs and superbowl in 2012.

119. By packerfanfirst on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Maybe someday you can get a coach that they name the SB trophy after, yea, I know, that will never happen. c u next season.

120. By Ricefield on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Well the announcements are made. Bill Musgrave is a vast improvement over Bevell. I am pleased.

Singletary, even better.

Things are lookin’ up ya’ll.

GO VIKINGS!!!!

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

121. By Ricefield on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I have only one question…

Will Frazier and Singletary be doing the Superbowl Shuffle next year?

122. By #0 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Single_tary bring it to the next level sick words like favre said lights out sick!!!!

123. By king crie on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Vikings are back!!!!

124. By Dan on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I feel the team needs to up grade its offense line plus secondary .Coach needs to involve Toby Gerhart to keep Adrian heathy during the year. Plus the staff needs to get more innovated.

2. Jan 17, 2011: Coaching Staff Update | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Jan 18, 2011: Updating the Vikings’ Coaching Staff « Purple Pants, Green Jersey