Wild Card Weekend Recap

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on January 10, 2011 – 6:00 am

Wild Card Weekend has come and gone, and it certainly was an exciting couple of days of football.  Based on our weekly picks that Mike, C.J., and myself did and will continue to do each week of the playoffs, I came out on top this week with a 3-1 record so thus I get an “open forum” of sorts here to reflect back on the weekend that was.

Three of the winning teams this weekend had what I would deem “young quarterbacks,” with the Jets (Mark Sanchez), Ravens (Joe Flacco), and Packers (Aaron Rodgers) all going into hostile environments and coming away with road playoff victories.  All three were first round picks that have emerged as solid to great NFL quarterbacks.

As Vikings fans, that is our hope / dream for the next few months, right?  To use the Draft to acquire a young quarterback with a high draft pick that can emerge as our Flacco / Rodgers / Sanchez.  We all hope that Joe Webb can be the long-term answer, but it’s not often quarterbacks taken that late in the draft (6th round) from a small school (UAB) pan out.  So if Webb can’t be the answer, the Vikings will have to look towards the Draft, which will take place on April 28-30.

Sanchez, in only his second year in the league, now has three road playoff victories to his credit.  Granted, he hasn’t been asked to do much more than not screw things up in those games, and certainly the Jets are built around a great running attack and one of the best defenses in the NFL, but it says something about the young signal caller that he holds a 3-1 career playoff record at this point in his career.  Things could certainly get rocky for Sanchez and Co. this weekend as they travel to New England, but Sanchez is 2-2 in his career against the Patriots and revenge will certainly be on the minds of the Jets after the 45-3 beatdown the Pats put on them in early December.

Flacco, who is in just his third year in the NFL, also has an impressive playoff resume to his credit.  He was brilliant on Sunday in leading the Ravens to a 30-7 win over the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, one of the toughest places to play in the NFL.  He finished the day going 25-34 with 265 yards, two touchdowns, and no turnovers.  Last year in the playoffs, he led his team into Foxborough and despite the fact he threw for just 34 yards, the Ravens won 33-14 and he didn’t do anything to screw it up.  In 2008 as a rookie, he took his team to both Miami and Tennessee in the postseason and came away with wins before the Ravens lost 23-14 at Pittsburgh in a classic game.  Those two teams will have at it again this weekend in the Steel City.

The weekend of course ended with Aaron Rodgers winning his first ever playoff game as the Packers rolled into Philly and topped the Eagles by a 21-16 score.  A-Rod was on top of his game on this day as he posted a 122.5 quarterback rating in throwing for three touchdowns in the win.  Granted the Packers defense had a lot to do with this win (as did the Vikings for that matter, since they hobbled Mike Vick and exposed the Eagles defense in the week 16 victory) but Rodgers didn’t have that “melt down moment” that has hampered him at times over his young career as an NFL starter.

Posted in All | 48 Comments »

48 Responses to “Wild Card Weekend Recap”

1. By Kathy on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I hope the Falcons can beat Rodgers & the Pack…They got lucky at the end of the game yesterday. Hopefully they won’t have the same results on Saturday. GO FALCONS!!

2. By ari on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I dont know if i would go so far as saying that sanchez is even “solid.” All game his throws were pretty off target, and he came dangerously close to losing the game all by himself.

3. By purplehaze on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Webb is maybe the answer but doubtful, going after Vick or Young from the Titans would be a better move. Trade for one of them with BB and T-jack…

4. By Malte on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

vick for bb and t-jack ?! NO ONE WOULD DO THAT :b

5. By natures on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I think the vikes should bring Favre back for the nex several years, possibly at a discount of say 15 million a year. oh, and get that denny green guy back.

6. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Like I have been saying GB is one and out. One win in the play offs and they are out. After all the Vikings beat the Eagles, come on, did not any one see that coming.

7. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Go Seahawks!

8. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Fellow fans of the Purple and Gold….yesterdays game from vick was not a single throw gone bad. It was a showing of a QB that the league has not only figured out, but has found how to shut him down completely! We did give the blueprint on how to beat this guy, and he is too one-dimensional to adjust. If we are going forward, it now is with Joe Webb. Joe has as much pocket presence as vick, and with some serious work will be as good at throwing. There is no way that we could justify paying the kind of money that vick will be asking. Not to mention, the draft picks that the Eagles will be demanding.

On the side note about the “dog issue”….I understand the posters commenting on the fact he “served his time”. The problem persists further than sitting in a cell, it stems from the fact that this guy is going to make another chunk of cash. It does upset me to know that it does amount to a free pass. I do not want to have our club “enable” this person. Just reading the game thread made me know that he is never going to be past the incident. Leave him in Philly, as our fan base is far more classy and a whole lot more “homegrown”. The midwest will not embrace his presence, and he will thru no fault of his separate our fanbase. It is just not worth all the trouble to acquire a player with average skills…..SKOL!!

9. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Go Seahawks, Beat them bears.

10. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Hasselbeck, for Viking QB, two yr contract. What U say?

11. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

If not Hasselbeck,( if Seahawks keep him), why not Whitehurst?

12. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Come on Minnesota, we all know we need a new stadium, a semi open air one at that would be preferable! Come on Vikings org. say you will put more towards the cost of building it! Get a refund from the Dome owners for having too old of a roof on the dome.

13. By DRS on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Go Seahawks! Win, win,win. Show every one a 7-9 team can go all the way.

14. By CaribooBill on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I liked the Seahawks’ stadium – open air, fans under cover, LOTS OF NOISE. I’m a Vikes fan but I hope the Packers go all the way – sorry.

15. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

As far as Matt goes, he is already 35 years old. He had a rating of only 73.2(28th in the NFL Qualified list) which is 13 points higher than our own Joe Webb. I am not to sure that our O-line will get the repair that it needs and that will require a QB that will be able to run for his life(as evidenced by this season). I would be interested, but the cost would have to realistic and there would be no mention of “draft picks”. If the conditions are favorable….I think it could work. SKOL!

16. By Malte on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I vote for a semi open air aswell. or fully open so we will brings some vikings power into this team once again. I think we should see how the draft unfolds, and otherwise just go with webb. I know he looked ALOT like a rookie in the 2 first games, but as for know, I don’t see him being much worse than mark sanchez, he just needs to have some offensive linemen, so we can put the game completely in adrian peterson’s hands. Then he will carry Joe Webb. Then Joe Webb can roll out, play action fake deep to harvin / rice whatever works, or just run with it if neccensary, he has the speed + skills. Great and humble guy, give him a chance in the next year :) SKÅL vikings :)

17. By Duane N on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Glad the cheeseheads won. Hate the Eagles.

Looks like Bears get another bye this week.

Really glad the Saints Voodoo wore off. On your bike.

18. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Can’t share in your feelings for a pack win…..now I get to listen to these goofy people rant and rave for another week about their superior club(with barbs stuck in about our club). In watching, it was not as much of them winning, but the Eagles really botching it!

19. By Ricefield on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

So nothing on the 7-9 Seahawks giving a good ol’ fashioned but whoopin’ to the Aints. C’mon Man!

20. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

This weekend got rid of two of my least liked in Manning and Brees! I like the fact that both are just excuse makers. Now punch Brady’s ticket and the super bowl will be worth watching..LOL!!

and did anybody else have to gag listening to the announcers for NBC during the Seahawk/saint game?? It got so bad that I had to hit the “Mute” button. I even fired off an e-mail to nbc sports! Those two should have had pennants and pom-pom’s for the saints. I always was under the impression that the announcers were supposed to be impartial???

21. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Rice, I have my comment in the “pending” mode….

22. By Chris Ross on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

What a great weekend of football! This is why we love the NFL and why we love sports. I guess everyone was shocked to see the Seahawks come up with that huge win against the Saints. Hawks showed their good bi-polar side, but that was partly due to them being at home, or so i think lol. Jets are clutch again with Sanchez doing his thing and Manning really didn’t come up big as he generally doesn’t in big games. Ravens defence was freaking monster against KC and I was defs sad to see philly lose cuz i love to watch mike vick play. Still, great games all around.

23. By Justin on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Ravens over Steelers – Flacco really looks good
    Patriots over Jets – Sanchez doesn’t look good

Packers over Bears
    Ravens over Patriots

Packers over Ravens

25. By CaribooBill on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Wispurplehead: I felt the same way as you about the announcers – not objective. I also thought the officiating wasn’t very good – I guess the 3rd stringers were on the field.

I also thought Rodgers looked a LOT like Favre – I like (when he isn’t playing the Vikes) his enthusiasm for the game – also a gunslinger mentality, also fumbleitis.

26. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Cariboo, are you insane?…..LOL!!

You actually wish to have the pack to win? Am I reading your post correctly?

If so, what on earth are you doing on our blog?…what has this world coming to?

SKOL!!!!

27. By wispurplehead on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Correction….what is this world coming to?

See…. I was so shook up, I could not even follow a sane train of thought..LOL!!!

28. By mr smiff on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I must say, I got A LOT of satisfaction watching Marshawn Lynch smack Tracee Pawter to the ground on his way to the endzone. I felt goooooood watching that!

29. By mr smiff on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I will NEVER back the P3ckers, even if they are a lock to win.

30. By CaribooBill on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Like I said – sorry! After the Vikings, the Packers come next, because of Favre and the way he play(s)ed.

31. By Arrow86 on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m with CaribooBill: I don’t often have pleasant exchanges with Packer fans, but I admire the heck out of how they run their organization. McCarthy is the best coach in the division. If an all pro doesn’t fit their scheme they trade or release them and get what they need. THey don’t get lost in sentiment. They are among the youngest teams in the league. The Pack can beat Atlanta because of the emergence of the rookie runningback from Buffalo. The Bears have a quarterback with a rocket arm and a peanut brain. When the chips are down, Cutler will blow the game. That being said, my first love is the purple and gold.

32. By Justin on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

I will say this, if the Packers can beat the Falcons at Georgia Dome, my respect for them WILL go up ten-fold.

33. By Ricefield on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I have to say that I respect the heck out of the talent on the Packers. I still would have liked to see them lose to Phillie and almost did but they do have skills and a couple of players that I actually enjoy watching. Namely Kuhn and Mathews.

So I guess I root for those two guys secretly when I watch them play.

That said, the Packers showed them how to beat the Eagles and it would be nice if their fans showed a class and acknowledged that.

Also, how big of a feat is it really to beat the Eagles when we did it without Rice and with a rookie QB. Compared to that, in my estimation the Packers didn’t do much.

34. By Ricefield on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Edit:

That said, the VIKINGS showed…

35. By Arrow86 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Ricefield: It’s what keeps the flaming dung off the doorstep where I’m at to have some respect for the Pack. Hang in there.

36. By Ricefield on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Lol Arrow,

Good to speak with you again.

37. By Parody on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

The Packers are the one team that I don’t want to try to respect. This is probably due largely in my encounters with their fans, who more often than not appear to be a very dispicable bunch.

That Kuhn fella you’re pointing out just happens to be one that I really don’t want to succeed either. But that’s on a more personal level. I went to school with a guy who was also named John Kuhn, and he was the type of guy that was a dîck every chance he got just because he liked to be a dîck.

That plus I never liked it when fans boo-ed (or something similar [Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn in this instance]) the field, for any reason. And that even includes the days when Childress got boo-ed for his poor decisions and running the team into the ground.

38. By Ricefield on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, I can see that bothering people. It doesn’t effect me as much because Lou Brock used to play for the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals and when he’d steal a base the crowd would cheer “Loooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuu” which sounds a lot like Booooooooooo and used to confuse the heck out of visiting announcers. LOL

39. By DRS on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Do not over look the Seahawks like the Saints did. They are better than their record says. Yes I do like their new stadium, Hope the Vikings get one like it, I remember the old dome there in Seattle WA, It was a dump just like the Minnesota dome. Get a new stadium now, that metropolitan dome is ****, tear of the roof and play as is until the new stadium is done. Go Seahawks! Viking fans for Seahawks 2010 SB.

40. By Eugene Fichter on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I believe the team (vikings) should try and get stanfords quarterback. Because He is smart. The draft isn’t that far off. We also need a defensive tackle. And a good wide out who can compliment # 18 sidney rice. Also our line is suspect, so I would get a lineman. In free agency we’ll need to replace winfield if He leaves. And a big back like Earl campbell used to be. And I would simplify our playbook for the offensive lineman. And Quarterback’s! The biggest problem that I noticed is the team didn’t really play with desire a passionate desire. That and determination gets you far in the NFL. I wish I was coach, but I will follow them closely in april’s draft. Eugene Fichter

41. By LAVikes on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

How’s the roof thing coming along? c u n LA

42. By Justin on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

How’s the bickering coming along down there in LA?

43. By Robins on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

All I want is for the Packers to lose. New Orleans lost and if the Packers lose too, life is great. I hate them both. I would love for the Seahawks to keep surprising everyone. What a blast that is. I like Atlanta and Baltimore because they have great quarterbacks. I hope Webb can be our next great quarterback. Thank you Brett for 20 magnificent, fun years! You will always be the best.

44. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

They wouldn’t post my last…….it wasn’t offensive….I didn’t think…it had to do with pigs flying

45. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Robins, The Ravens are my AFC team… and now Atlanta is my NFC team. I agree with you…..Thanks Brett for a great ride last year……sorry for the distractions this year.

46. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Brett for Vikes QB Coach!!!!!! Leads Webb to Superbowl ring and HOF!!!!!!

2. Jan 10, 2011: Wild Card Weekend Recap | Vikings Stop Blog