Webb Shedding Light On A Dim Season

Posted by cjsiewert on December 31, 2010 – 7:32 am

Vikings rookie QB Joe Webb has run the gamut of media coverage since out-dueling his counterpart, Eagles QB Michael Vick, on Tuesday night – and rightfully so.

Webb is truly the “feel good” story at the end of a tumultuous season. The athletic rookie was drafted in the 6th round as a WR, returned to the QB position at rookie mini-camp, was added to the 53-man roster at the beginning of the season as the #3 QB, was not activated for a game until the Dec. 5 victory over the Buffalo Bills where he suffered a hamstring injury and this past week he made his first-career start, guiding his team to an improbable 24-14 upset victory on the road.

“Yeah, you never know how things will pan out,” Webb acknowledged on Thursday before the team’s practice. “Last year I was training to be a receiver, and at the rookie mini-camp all of a sudden I was back at quarterback. I’m more comfortable at that position because I’ve been playing it multiple years. It was just a great experience for me; a great game by the Vikings. Even though some people said I had a great performance, I still feel like there’s room for me to improve.”

Webb has been working with the 1st-team offense in practice since the week following the Dec. 13 loss to the NY Giants when Brett Favre ended his 297 consecutive games started streak and backup QB Tarvaris Jackson suffered a season-ending toe injury late in the game. The injuries to both Favre and Jackson have allotted Webb the starting role, a responsibility that demands a comprehensive knowledge of the playbook and the expectation for continued improvement.

The way Webb composed himself on Tuesday night was superb taking into account it was his first start and in the national spotlight, but Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier wants to make sure that the coaching staff can cater to his abilities in order for him to improve this Sunday against the Detroit Lions.

“We’re going to try to put a couple wrinkles in there that might be able to help him,” Frazier said. “Especially the fact that he’s gained more confidence now because of the success that he had on Tuesday night, we can open it up a little bit. Not very much more because of the time that we have to prepare, but we do want to give him some opportunities, both in the pass game and try to do some things in the run game that may open up some things for him as well. We will give him a little bit more.”

Webb will continue to face speculation and criticism from the media on whether or not he will become a capable starting QB in the NFL in the future, but that only adds inspiration to a young player that lacks none of it.

“That’s just motivation for me,” Webb stated. “Coming into the draft, people saying I’m going to be a receiver and things like that, it was just motivation for when I got my time to play at quarterback and take advantage of the opportunity.”

Tags: ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “Webb Shedding Light On A Dim Season”

1. By Carl K on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff CJ.. I was very encouraged to see a game plan from Frazier and Bevell that catered to not only Joe’s abilities, but our entire teams abilities.

I can’t wait to see the wrinkle Frazier has agianst the Lions.

I hope this train is back on track! Good Luck Frazier, Webb, and the entire team.

Happy New Year.

2. By Bigfan1 on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb has shown talent and drive to take the VIkings to where they need to be, a Super Bowl win. The Vikings have the potential to beat anyone. Ditto the previous comments to the Vikings and staff thanks for all the hard work this season and have a great new year.

3. By Dennis on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Great to see that Defense attack. It looked as if they were having fun. It really took the pressure off the secondary and caused a lot of mistakes from Vick. Where has this Defense been all year?

4. By Vikings4life on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Joe webb is the future and if the vikings let him go it will be their greatest mistake, I agree to get another qb in the draft but not kolb and not an older qb its time to build off a franchise qb but we should give Joe a chance to compete for the starter job His abilities are through the roof probably the fastest quaterback to ever play he is so agile and i am confident that the passing game will come through experience. Leslie Deserves the Job and Joe deserves to stay a viking for a long time people say its early to tell but this kid has been eye opening since day one. In almost every case qb are moved to WR in the NFL but to go from a WR to a QB is unheard of. If we had Joe in all year and consentrated on good run D and run Offense we would be atleast a 9 win team going in to the last week with a chance to go to the playoffs, you cannot have 11 td and 19 int and its not all on brett by any means but you just cant win games with that many turnovers no matter how good the team is. Joe wouldnt of had 20TD but he has the ability to extend plays long enough for defense to break down something brett couldnt do this year because of his age. Brett is a legend and no disrespect.

5. By animal26 on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Oh man, I’m really starting to have a very good feeling about this kid. I really hope he is the future QB of this team.

6. By da1coming4yu on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Happy New

7. By da1coming4yu on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Happy New Year TEAM!!!! Webb looked great especially because we played the Eagles. It takes alot of heart and courage to step up like he did and be successful. HE is a project though, one that i would love to see develop as the years pass. We have a QB to work with now so all it takes is a good defensive coordinator to get us back in the right direction. How about Singletary!! We need that kind of bloodhound attittude in our defensive gameplan to really put out there that we are VIKINGS!!!! comment back if you agree

8. By da1coming4yu on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Also who agrees that Coach Frazier should remain our coach for a long time?
    I KNOW I DO!!

9. By pemnuts on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully Favre will stay out of it – his time is already over.

10. By sadvikings on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I DO want Frazier to be OUR coach and heck yea HIRE Singletary…aren’t Singletary and Frazier the team mates? Lets go VIKES…We can be NFC North Champs again next year and crush the Bears, stinky Packers and Sorry Lions!

11. By Bear Fan Matt on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Vikings NFC champs next year? Your team has so many flaws you’ll be lucky if they aren’t in last place next year. You have coaching issue, QB issues, a defense that isn’t getting any younger (tho still dangerous. I admit.) And a stadium that has to be fixed before there’s another game there. How much is that gonna cost? Look, I’m not talking smack. Id rather leave the Lions in last place every year and I don’t dislike the Vikings, but lets be honest, its gonna be 2 or 3 years before you guys can contend with the Bears or Packers for the division.

12. By Bear Fan Matt on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah, and Singletary? That guy couldn’t lead anyone out of a wet paper bag.

13. By Bear Fan Matt on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

And I know that was NFC “NORTH” champs. Just forgot to type North in that message.

14. By vikings.com on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Bears suck and get off our site

15. By tariq on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

All i say is i think joe webb deserve a chance to be the QB of the future u have to look at what he did in big time spot light during a season dats been down hill from the start to be real wit u i think the teammates feed off his good game play like they did off favre last year. give him a chance

16. By mr smiff on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Bear Fan Matt, at least we got your stinking team a bye week. Don’t be ungrateful!

17. By Carl Brodin on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Webb is the man but i still think we need to draft a QB in the first round nothing against Webb but he has already been injured once. Another thing we need to do as a bridge is sign freee agent Olin Kruetz from the bears to play C position. We need to draft a LOT in the second round or give Patrick brown a chance or maybe let brown play right tackle and put Phil Loadholt at right guard. Try to trade Bryant Mckinnie for a third round pick. Joe Webb needs a stable offensive line to develope behind.

18. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Webb just needs some time and experience. He could be the fututre for the Vikes,,,, I think Frazier is defintitely the future for the us, He is alot like Dungy.

19. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey to all, Happy New Year!!!!!!

20. By Vernon on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Let’s move Antoine Winfield to safety. Go Vikes!! Happy New Year!!!

21. By viking/lakers Purple&gold on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

tice is o coach you bears are not going no where viking thrash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TELL THE TRUTH EVEN WHEN I LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By Julie on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

All i know is that webb showed more than T. jacks in 2 games. he is the vickings next qb. just hopefully they can keep him b4 he moves on. The next concern is Rice will he stay or go. We have 2 look at the future of this team and with rice, adriane,and the other offense we hope to keep maybe next yr we can do better. And Mister Bear Fan goes oh please ur best player isnt doing so good this yr– urlacker(sp) lol

23. By huskermnnut on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Webb’s performance better show the Vikes that T Jack is NOT the answer. Hope for a shot at a top caliber QB in the draft and let him and Webb go for the starting job in pre season. Really like Webb’s poise and athleticism on the field.
    Could the Brady pick work out for us?

24. By vikequeeninco on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Joe, you sure reminded me of the guy who wore #10!
    Coach Frazier, sure hope you are the 2011 captain of the ship.
    Brett, thanks for the memories.
    Entire Team, have loved you for years. All the best to your and your families in the New Year.
    Last but not leaset, Mr. Wilf, I sure hope you read these blogs – some of us have been fans since ’61. We know what we are talking about!!

25. By purplegang on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

joe plays one game and you people think he is the future he didnt win that game the deffence did

26. By SUPERVIKINGFAN on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

purplegang – Still recovering from last night, eh? Fact: JOE WEBB is the Viking’s starting quarterback. Last week, this week and for seasons to come… The man plays the game and will just keep getting better and better… I’m telling you, he’s the guy.

27. By SUPERVIKINGMAN on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Before you jump on the Frazier bandwagon, take a closer look at the win-lost record. If you’re content with .500, he’s your man.. If you want to WIN, you might want to reconsider signing him so quickly.

28. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@SUPERVIKINGMAN

3-2 isn’t so bad with the current team of professional D-Bags. Wait until next year. Frazier will do his own cherry picking and rebuilding. He’s already started doing it and it’s working. Your statement is beyond unfair. Hire Frazier ’11.

29. By TW VIKE on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Webb did not beat the Eagles by himself, it was a team effort. Winfield, AP,Percy,D-line,etc. were bigger factors. It was a team effort, we finally clicked. Lions always play us tough and are favored, lets see how we do. Remember, WE ALWAYS SEEM TO PLAY TO THE LEVEL OF OUR OPPONENTS!!

30. By Adam on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Frazier deserves a shot! We don’t have to sign him to a long term deal yet. Give him a couple years and go from there. With Chilly still on the payroll we can’t afford a big name guy. Besides if nothing else at least the players respect him and play for him, with him we have a better chance of keeping our free agents. You can’t take over an injury-riddled, lost season and expect and instant turnaround. And as far as Joe Webb goes, I have been impressed. This Detroit game should tell us more. I do think we should keep our options open though, if there is a good guy in the draft or free agency I’m not sure we should pass up on the opportunity. It would be good to have a guy to challenge him. If the Vikes play their cards right than we are headed down the right path. Skoll Vikes!!!!!

31. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Oh and…most Vikings fans aren’t counting the Robo Cop bowl in Detroit and the Monday night game at the U (I thought I was watching hockey for a minute during that one.).

32. By Adam on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

And I do agree that it was not just Webb that won that game. He played good, but It was a team effort. Antoine I think had the biggest impact! Gotta love the Little Man!!!!

33. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Is it me, or does it always like like Jay Cutler has to burp or f@rt?

34. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

look like…lol

35. By Garrett on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

he does…he does

36. By Skol_Vikings on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Don’t get too high on the Webb wave… not just yet. Certainly there is some serious potential there, but lets see how it shakes out. I still think he’s a season away from starting. We have too many holes right now to be thinking SB next year.
    Don’t me wrong… I’m high on Webb too, but I’ve seen plenty of busts after showing a great start.

… I love how fans constantly accuse the Vikings of never drafting a franchise QB. Its not for a lack of trying. Brad Johnson? Daunte Culpepper? Tavaris Jackson? These guys were all projected to be the franchise guy, and it just didn’t owrk.,

37. By Malte on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

it’s just also stupid to spend a high pick on a QB if you don’t think he is the franchise guy. during the draft everybody screamed at the vikings for not taking clausen.. well I doubt he would have been the franchise guy going forward? – I think the vikings did a good job in the draft

38. By chaos on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings {sadly} r 6-9 and missed the playoffs and thus the super bowl. But the year was not a total failure. Living in Virginia everybody I know loves either the redskins or the Cowboys…..both of whom we beat.{whew} if we had lost either or both of those games I would be a laughing stock. Adrian Peterson {the best running back in the NFL} fixed his only major flaw{fumbles}
    and several minor ones to {blocking and recieving}. We FINALLY got a QB we has the potential to be a franchise QB. And r D PWND the best team in the NFL{eagles}. I hope Jared Allen gets 4 sacks on Sunday. Allens sacks stats from 08 14.5, ’09 14.5, ’10 10.5. please get 4. better luck next year.

39. By George on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I think we should get a trade for T. Jackson, he tried but maybe he will work out better some-where’s else. KEEP Joe Webb as starter let him go through his growing pains as soon as possible so he can learn and with a little time e will do great!

Let’s just have them take the DOME off completely and wala we have our outdoor stadium!

40. By Arrow86 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

BearfanMatt: What a laughable title for someone who has the audacity to say Mike Singletary, “That guy couldn’t lead anyone out of a wet paper bag!” Where have you been?? He was the middle linebacker on your Bears and called the defensive adjustments when they won the super bowl in 85, you dips*^iT! Your very own Bears, (The team you allegedy love, or are you more a B.J. and the Bear groupie from the 70’s?) were licking the hinder carrot last season and can thank our Vikes for their upcoming week off. We all admit their are holes in our Viking Armour. But we’ve seen some major adjustments and a young QB who played a very impressive game against a quality playoff team. Being healthier next season will help our purple regain their rightful place atop the Norris!

41. By Arrow86 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Skol Viking: Point well taken. Webb played a beautiful game in tough conditions in Philly. He’s going to make mistakes. It takes a lot of experience to read pro defenses. He’s going to have games that leave us scratching our heads, and that’s not the time to jump ship. I think every QB ever drafted was projected to be “The Man!” but sadly, most of them never develop into that franchise quarterback.

As for comments about Singletary being our D-coordinator. Let’s look at what has happened in recent weeks with our defense. More blitzes, greater QB pressure, more opportunities for interceptions, now we need to catch the ball. I like Singletary a lot, but I don’t see the need to change who is currently in that position. Offseason acquisitions may help improve our defense to the schemes and coverages we want to use more of. If someone wants a firey guy on the sideline, I thought I saw motivational speaker Matt Foley’s van parked down by the Mississippi River!

42. By wisconsinvikesfan on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Does anybody else notice that the Minnesota media really beats the s@#t out of the team when they lose and then when they win they talk about them like they are the best team in the world?

43. By ed on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

yeah just take the dome off and it will be an outdoor stadium!

44. By fkj74 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Joe do not let the media put you in a box, keep your cool, play your game. Also team management give this guy a “fair” shot to be the guy!! Go Vikes

45. By Mike Hunt on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry, but if we have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB, we DO NOT pass on him. If none are available, Joe could be good for a year or two. I’m not ready to say he’s the future based on one game. He doesn’t have the history of accurate passing I’d like to see over the course of a season. Good athlete, not sure he’ll ever be a great QB. I think he’d be a better WR anyway. Not because he’s a bad QB but because he’d be an AMAZING WR. Like Sidney Rice except faster.

46. By larry moore2 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

placing webb at quarterback shows you that drating a player at a certian posstion is not allways his best prformance possition in game time you may have talant you ve over looked bill billowcheck puts differant players in possitions and trys them out , it works and if it the possition the love to play you get the most out of them may be had to play that possition to get in collage , because the possition was all retty filled and if players got hurt they talked him into filling that spot, it happens every season . coaches need staff that looks at things with an open eyes ,and check out dratees that have played in what positions in game time experiances. thats great managers that pick players that fit talant level some one that has played reciver nows how to throw to recivers and knows howplay deffese back

47. By TW VIKE on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Mikunt- I agree, if agood Qb is available you have to snag him. Secondary help is needed, just like after last season. We need another Joey Browner type safety.

48. By vikequeeninco on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

wisconsinvikesfan: you should hear the media in denver if you think it’s bad in mn. they refuse to give tebow the benefit of the doubt and they’re still bashing cutler and he’s been gone for 2 years!
    i haven’t lived in my home state for a number of years now but i still bleed purple

49. By LedeBeefetime on Jun 5, 2012 | Reply

Sexy lingerie makes the world go round. It can add zest and passion to an otherwise stale and drab relationship. A little teasing never hurt anybody. For couples it can stimulate. For women who love to just bare it can be confidence boosting. Whatever your reasons, fuscia has all the solutions. You can buy sexy lingerie online at fuscia. The site has a complete line up of all designs and styles of lingerie imaginable.

Fuscia sells online sexy lingerie which will provoke a man to take a longer look than necessary at you. The site has everything interesting women of all body types go for. From babydolls, basques, bustiers, camisoles and chemise the store has just about anything for passionate ladies to drive men crazy. It would not take much to get one for yourself. You can always buy sexy lingerie online. Whatever suits your fantasy, fuscia has it.

There is a spectacular range of lingerie at fuscia. Sexy and teasing, plus size and petite skimpy bridal bra sets, tights, stockings and the ever reliable teddies. At fuscia, sexy underwear is not a monopoly of women. It also has quality menswear for the man of your choice. Both of you can be equally alluring and hot.

The exciting collection is all made bigger by fantastic colours and sizes. The online shop has added to its sexy assortment the bridal lingerie section. The first night after the wedding is never the same again. Fuscia has more to offer as can be gleaned from its diverse collection of fine lingerie aside from the bridal lingerie beckoning for playful activity.

Fuscia has fine lingerie and still more. The store is recognised for its Wild Design lingerie range which can knock out even the most fertile imagination. The designs range from the classics to futuristic fashion styles. Fuscia makes it a point to provide a variety of fashionable lines to fit in to any woman or mans lifestyle and preference.

The sexy lingerie, g-strings, thongs, bras at fuscia would also make very romantic gifts. It can be flattering for any woman to be the recipient of such fine and passionate wears. The gifts can weave hot stories for the exotic woman. It makes a woman wanted and desired. There is an air of belonging pervading the atmosphere when a woman receives sexy lingerie for a gift.

Fuscia provides specials and discounted items for that special occasion. The store tries as much to adjust pricing according to your budget. It is always the customer that comes first to the company. Everything is devised in consideration of the buying public who buy sexy lingerie on line. From shipping and returns to conditions of use to notifications and other services, consideration for the customers is always first.

To buy sexy lingerie online can be as easy as wearing them. When you visit the site click on the image of the lingerie you have picked. Then details will follow on how to go about buying the lingerie. For shipping and returns your special specifications as to how the items should be packed is most welcome. Fuscia will always give consideration to customers requirements and needs. If you want them gift wrapped it can be done and this can be considered a bonus. The delivery is free of charge.

2. Dec 31, 2010: Webb Shedding Light On A Dim Season | Vikings Stop Blog