Griffin Confident As He Rehabs Knee Injury

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 31, 2010 – 11:53 am

On Thursday the Vikings named CB Cedric Griffin the team’s recipient of the 2010 Ed Block Courage Award, an honor NFL players do not take lightly because it’s voted on by their peers. The award is named in honor of Ed Block, the longtime head athletic trainer of the Baltimore Colts who was a pioneer in his profession and a respected humanitarian. The award is given to one player from each team who exemplifies commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.

On Friday, Griffin met with reporters in the Winter Park lobby and he expressed gratitude to his teammates for honoring him with the award and he also made clear the confidence he has in his recovery from a torn ACL he suffered early in the season. The injury to Griffin this season was especially tough to take because the physical CB had suffered the same injury in his other knee during last season’s NFC Championship Game.

It was clear in listening to Griffin, though, that he’s confident he’ll return to the field for the 2011 season and not miss a beat. That’s a good sign for the Vikings and for a secondary that missed him this season. Here are a few other thoughts from his conversation with reporters…

– Griffin said one tough aspect of this injury was missing most of the season. Before 2010, he had never missed a season with injury through high school, college and the NFL.

– Asked if there were ever times in his rehab process where he felt discouraged, Griffin said no. The only time he felt frustration was on the sidelines of the NFC Championship Game last year after he suffered the first knee injury. Since then, he said, he’s learned to channel that frustration to his rehab.

– Griffin said he didn’t look at his absence from the CB position with frustration. Rather, he said he was encouraged to see other players, such as Asher Allen and Chris Cook, gain valuable experience that will make them better players in the future and that will give the Vikings secondary valuable depth going forward.

Tags:

122 Responses to “Griffin Confident As He Rehabs Knee Injury”

1. By #0 on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

holla!!!!my hat goes off to webb,winfield thou!

2. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the good work Ced … remember Terry Allen and Robert Smith went through the rehab multiple seasons and made it back so keep working hard

3. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Ced Griffen might make a good safety hes very physical … and bigger than winfield a guy people keep saying should move

4. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

ok so i watched Locker last night and i have to say if he falls to the 8th round we still dont take him … he sucks

JUST SAY NO TO …

McNabb, yes my opinion has changed, Webb changed it … McNabb sucks
    Newton, aka Vince Young they both suck
    Locker … he sucks

Say yes to Luck or Mallet if they fall to us but they wont … Sign Kyle Orton

5. By TWR on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Kyle Orton are you crazy? now he really sucks

6. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I meant to add draft Stanzi in a later round …

round 1 …. QB if its Luck or Mallet , OT or Safety
    round 2 …. OT or Safety
    round 3 …. yes we have one …. WR/OT/Safety
    round 4 …. Stanzi/C/OT/WR/Safety
    round 5 …. I think we have 2 but for some reason Wobs wont tell us so Stanzi/ C /OT/WR/Safety
    round 6 …. WR / OL / DB
    round 7 …. WR / OL / DB

7. By Ham on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Newton looks more like a “Big Ben” as opposed to a Vince Young.

8. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Orton has an 87.5 rating with 20 TDS and 9 INTS … he is a free agent and wont cost as much as some other QBs if Webb beats him out then good and if Orton starts then good … yes Orton

I say let Webb , Orton , Bomar , and Stanzi … have some serious competition and let the best man win ….

9. By Titus on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I am with you Shawn– I was never big on Mcnabb. I would like to see what Rhett can do– we may have our first and second QB between him and Webb.

10. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I’ll trust ya’ll’s judgement. I don’t follow college football enough to know anything about the draft.

Yeah, I know, “What kind of football fan doesn’t follow the draft?”

Well, this kind, lol.

Seriously though, from what I understand any quarterback we decide to pick up will be a risk because there are a lot teams looking for QB help and so the better prospects will probably be gone.

I do agree that Webb needs competition and anyone we pick up has to compete for the job even if its a veteran through free agency.

11. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

lol no worries rice, the draft is a cra’p shoot … no one really knows

if they did jamarcus rusell would not have been drafted and tom brady would have went number one … im only trying to create some debate

i think people hear us the fans but its more like background noise

12. By Titus on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Well, what is our schedule going to look like next year? This year was brutal. With a few changes and beef up the defense– with AP, Rice, Harvin, and Webb, and an easier schedule, we may be in very good shape next year at this time. Playoffs, yes I said Playoffs.

13. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Shawn,

Really, I wonder if there any Oher type linemen coming out of this draft. Because those are types of guys we need to pick up IMO. Line comes first, then we can worry about a QB.

Actually, it is my opinion, since we all agree that Webb needs experience that we should give him a chance to run the offense. He’s no Bradford or Tebow for sure but he was very poised on Tuesday and I think the only way he’ll get better is if we just let him have the experience he needs.

It’s risky and he could fold under pressure and wind up like TJack but he could flourish like Favre.

14. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

@titus … the nfl does some sort of divional match up that changes every year for instance this year we played AFC East teams and NFC East teams … so next year our division will play 2 differant divisions …. so the Eastern divisions are tough means next year should be easier

15. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

@ricefield … yea it seems like everyone pretty much agrees , i just think Joe cant be handed the keys he will have to earn it next offseason …. I think he played well but he wasnt 24-30 300 yards and 3 TDs good he just played well, and I think we need to be prepeared with a guy like Orton just in case

16. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

but I hope playing easier teams is not the reason we make the playoffs … and believe we will make the Playoffs

17. By Titus on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Webb seemed to have more poise than TJack– in a tough game, so that says a lot. I don’t agree that the Eagles laid down– they were outplayed and did not expect the attitude the Vikings brought. But they had four quarters and halftime to make adjustments– the loss added a playoff game to their schedule– there is no way the Eagles wanted to lose. That is ridiculous nonsense from commentators that cannot believe we beat them– the Viking team is still a good team at its core.

18. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Totally agreed, Titus.

All I hear is “The Eagles didn’t show up!” or “Vick had a bad game!”

Nonsense, the Vikings came out and whooped tail. They deserve to have their effort recognized. Especially after the season we’ve had.

The fact of the matter is, Webb played better than Vick. No INT’s, No fumbles, no turnovers of any sort other than AP’s first fumble of the season. That’s a good game no matter how you cut it.

19. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

yea i agree titus … i believe every team plays to win, and emotions effect peoples moods which can give you the laid down effect but we beat a good team soundly and Webb played with poise … i know it was a long time ago but I think I was excited about TJack untill 8-10 games into his career and saw all the up and down games

Have to sign an Orton as insurance or maybe he just beats Webb out, dont want to get to week 10 next year with Webb and realize his Eagle win was a fluke

20. By Titus on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Did our O-line play better, or was Webb just able to outmaneuver the defenders better than Favre– it seems to me our O-line stepped up. Our whole team was playing for some redemption to the season in their last national stage– I am not surprised they played so well– too bad so late in the season.
    Every time you mention Orton, I get rhymes from Dr. Seuss swirling in my head.

21. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

lol yea it seemed the whole team played better including the oline

22. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

and the defense was relentless

23. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I can see what you’re saying, Shawn.

The thing is, from what I understand, TJack might have succeeded. It seemed kind of wishy washy on Chilly’s part to say, TJack is our future and then go get Favre for two years and then expect TJack to just slide into being the man, again. A lack of confidence, if you ask me.

It turned out that it was with good reason. TJack just failed but I don’t want to make the same mistake with Webb. Should we get a viable backup that could be starter, absolutely. Let them compete.

I just don’t think we should pull an Eagles and play one one game and the other the next. All my opinion of course.

24. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Webb impressed me enough to say we dont need to give up a player or draft pick to get a qb … but not enough to say he is the next Tarkenton , I love his potential and his upside but we have to be prepared

WE WERE NOT PREPARED FOR THE LOSS OF SIDNEY RICE THIS YEAR AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED …. HAVE TO BE PREPARED AT THE QB POSITION

25. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

and Chilly new Rice might need surgery and he just sat back and did nothing, could of had Whosyourmamma but Chilly and his ego … we had Moss but Chilly and his ego … kept Lewis and Baskett and Berrian

Ive learned in life the people you hate the most have a lot in common with you, Id say Chilly and Moss have a lot in common

26. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Agreed, Shawn.

But really, who could replace Rice? For that matter, we weren’t prepared for Harvin to miss as many games as he did and we couldn’t replace him either.

Those two are superstars and the only way to replace them would be with other superstars.

Injuries hurt us all year, our o-line, recieving corps, defense. That’s a lot to replace.

27. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

i just think Chilly has each of those 3 guys 1 spot higher than they should be…

1-Rice ……. OK
    2-Harvin …. OK
    3-nobody…. Berrian
    4-Berrian….. Lewis
    5-Camarillo.. OK
    6-Lewis …… Baskett ( shouldnt be in the league)

ok left side is my opinion of WR depth and right side is Chillys opinion of WR depth …. TJ Houshmanzadah should have been signed Seattle cut him close to the end of preseason and chilly knew Rice would miss 1/2 the season at least by then

28. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

in other words chilly came into the season without a number 1 or a number 3 …

29. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

which means besides the fact nobody knew McKinnie hates Favre, Favre had to throw to …

1-Harvin
    2-Berrian
    3-Lewis
    4-Camarillo

No wonder why Favre had such a bad year ….

le

30. By Titus on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you guys about missing Rice and Harvin, but I see this over and over– everyone forgets Chester Taylor– losing him was huge– when he was traded I just had my mouth open in disbelief– and to our rival. Taylor was a huge part of our success last year.

31. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

yea Taylor was a HUGE loss … we wont feel it as much next year because Gerhardt has come along and Booker was added by Frazier

32. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey guys,

I have a question…

Who exactly in charge of trades?

What I mean is, was Chilly head coach and general manager?

Do the Wilf’s approve trades? I realize Chilly traded Moss without the Wilf’s approval but did he actually have the authority to do that?

I guess what I’m asking is do we have a GM and if we don’t should we get one or leave all trades in the hands of the head coach?

33. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Looks like Chilly was coach/gm … dont see anyone in the front office with GM title … and so that means coach makes the final decision, from what i heard the Wilfs wanted Moss and initiated the trade and Chilly cut him … but nobody is really talking about the whole situation i would guess we are pretty close to the truth but missing a few details

34. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Chilly had a whole scouting staff that spends all year evaluating talent and presents chilly with a breakdown but chilly made the final decision …

35. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I know in baseball my Cardinals had Walt Jockety (sp?) who was a genius at picking up talent during the season from other teams in trades and when the Cardinals fired him the club felt the loss.

Someone like that, only football oriented, could help Frazier. If we keep Frazier, and I hope we do, I think it might be a good idea for the Wilf’s to hire a GM to help him out.

Especially considering the mess Chilly left behind with his poor decisions.

Or am I completely off my rocker?

36. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

unfortunately chilly was a non programmic fit ….

37. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

i think it could go either way … frazier imo should be fine

raiders dont let the coach have final say … and look how bad they have been, Lane Kiffen was fired because he didnt like Jamarcus Russell and turns out Lane was right

38. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

dallas got rid of jimmy johnson because of dissagreements with GM/owner , and they havent been as good since the jimmy johnson core of players was gone

39. By Ricefield on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I see the point. I guess I’m trying to make Frazier’s transition as seemless as possible. I don’t really know that much about him but he seems able to get his players to perform which is really all you can ask of the guy. I just don’t want his growing pains as a new head coach to affect the success of the team because he might not be able to make good trades. Given the evidence though, picking up Booker and others panned out fine so I think you’re right, he should be fine.

40. By mr smiff on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

I think Webb could be the qb of the future. But I’m not 100% sold just yet. It will take more than one game to convince me. After all, TJack had his brilliant moments too. I hope I see more of him in Detroit.

41. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Cedric, please rehab fast….we need you sooooo bad!!!!

42. By Carl K on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Shawn- I have seen you write that we still have 3rd round pick this year. I thought we traded it for Randy Moss?? Where are you getting your info?
    Draftsite.com and Newnfldraft.com both do not show us having a 3rd round pick.

43. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Mr smiff, I think Webb could be our future….but I would like him to play behind a veteran for at least one more year….Maybe McNabb?

44. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

carl k … maybe im wrong i havent been able to find a site yet thanx for the info ill check it out …. i really thought we had 2 – 3rd rounders

45. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Guys, Happy New Year!!!!

46. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

hey carl k thanx for the websites, and that sucks WE DONT HAVE A 3RD ROUNDER i thought we had 2 … but we do have 2 5th rounders

47. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

happy new year to you sue g …. YAY!!! I GOT IT RIGHT =)

48. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, I love to see your posts, but do the guys in this blog appreciate the girls posts? I really need an honest answer…Can you give me an honest answer?

49. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Shawn…et all. it doesn’t matter if you encourage our posts or not……we’ll still br here. ….I’m feeling a little bitter as my boyfriend is a S@it .

50. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

lol sue, yes you and steph do add to the blog …

51. By Shawn on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

its funny you compared your bf to a sh!t because ….. nm

52. By Titus on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Don’t get mad at me, but I have a personal motto– don’t complain about what you allow. If you can change something you don’t like in your life, change it.

53. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I think Old School might be a female.. moody & b!tchy

54. By xmasboy on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

In WEBB we TRUST #14

I do believe Webb will be the starting QB next year competition or not. I’m sure Leslie already has a boney for him as did Chilly for T-Joke. Let’s just hope Webb’s mental game improves. We all know physically there is no question.

Happy New Year to ALL!

55. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

At a boy Ced! You’re good man. We miss you buddy!

From the last topic someone mentioned that is was nice to see the defense back…

I think it has more to do with Frazier going back to what has always worked for the Vikes, and that’s sending Winnie hard off the corners. The current Chicago Bears and Packers do this exact same thing with Tillman and Woodson and it drives offensive coordinators nuts. Keep up the good work Leslie.

Go Zygi! Go Vikes! Go Vikes Stadium! We went from “Fire Chilly” to “Hire Frazier!” I’m loving it! Happy New Year!

56. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Just reading some of the other posts on here.

Some reasons why I think Frazier should be HC:

Frazier comes from the olive branch of Dungy and just like Dungy he’s a winner. Frazier has to work with what he has this year. Next year, I have a feeling Frazier will be looking at each player’s character and not so much their skill set and build the team from there just like Tony. Character is the key to success – not pure talent. I think this season is a testament to that. Hire Frazier ’11.

57. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Oh yea and Fire Leber!

58. By 50 years both of us on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I can’t beleive what I read on this page. People would really go another year without drafting a high round quarterback? I know we need offensive line help real bad. I feel you can get o line guys deeper in the draft. I still think the vikings need to trade up just short of no matter what the cost is to get a quarterback.

I like what I saw in Webb last week but it was one game. You can win the superbowl with an average quarterback ie: Trent Dillfer but lets get real here. Just say no to McNabb that is an entire mess starting over again. Build a team not just get one guy and think he can do it all.

59. By Bad Storm on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@Purple Man,

I’ve read several of your posts. You seem a little bi-polar but I have to admit you know your football.

I have to agree with 50′s post though, we need to trade up and probably for a QB. The downside is that you have to wait 2, 3 years for him to mature which is why I think you will see a guy like Alex Smith or Vince Young here next year. Webb really needs more time to mature and understand the offense, maybe pay a guy like Gruden a mil or so to spend the summer with him. Who knows?

60. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@Bad Storm.

lol. You know what they say about opinions.

61. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Yeh, I think Webb has all the tools. You just to to design the offense around what he’s capable of. I think they did a great job of that against Philly. Plus, I believe in giving the kid a shot. Sometimes that all anyone needs. I would dump the current O-Line and grab some free agents if they plan on having a runner like Webb. They really need to spend some money on Corners, ILBs and Wide Outs.

62. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

and the Safety position!…sorry.

63. By DRS on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

The O-line did not play better. Joe had to out maneuver the defensive player many times in the Eagles game. Luckily, the Eagles did not bring max pressure and containment. The defensive line did come to play. They kept the secondary from the need to make too many plays.

64. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

50 years – who would you trade up for? Luck will go 1st or 2nd. (Mallet, Newton, Locker are not worth trading up for) We don’t have a 3rd round pick so we are short handed in picks anyways. Most of our guys are free agents, so we can’t trade up with them. The only 2 people with real trade value are AP and Harvin. When I suggested trading one of those 2 guys to move up and get Luck… Most Vikings fans were ready to run me out of Dodge (and rightly so). If a fanchise QB falls to us in the fisrt round great, but don’t count on it(although Locker looks like junk this year), but lets not force the issue by moving up.

65. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Carolina won’t move on there pick.

How about Berrian to Buffalo?

Allen to Arizona (he lives there by the way)?

Cook and a Second Rounder to Denver?

It could happen…

66. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

their pick

67. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

The QB class is very deep and guys like Gabbert, Ponder, Kaepenick, Stanzi, Devlin, Enderle, and Dalton will all be guys out side that 1st round who could someday be a solid NFL QB.

68. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Mallett and McElroy aren’t slouches either.

69. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I actually really like Moore out of Boise State too.

70. By DRS on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Why trade up in the draft? It takes 3 to 4 years for a young QB to be any good in the NFL and we need to win in the present. Joe will do well with the tutorage from someone like Brett. I thought I saw some of young Brett in the Eagles game. There will be some great QB’s in the free agency this year. Keep Joe, as #1 or #2 and keep are #3 QB as the practice squad QB.

71. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

If we make a trade to Denver we will probably pick up Orton. I think we can get him with our 4th round pick. Denver has Tebow and Brady Quinn. Orton has a 5 Mil contract for next year that I am sure Denver would like to get rid of.

72. By DRS on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Question, will there be a season next year for the professionals, or will we be seeing the replacements play once more? If that were the case, will the draft mean anything at all?

73. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

If Moore was a little taller, the scouts would be all over him. No question. I like him too.

74. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I say grab an old vet and hold on to T-Jack as back-ups. Let Webb have the reigns as a trial for 8 games next year, much like Chilly gave it to T-Jack and see what happens.

I think even in training camp and pre-season we all felt that this kid was something special, I think everybody knows it, including his teammates, I think the coaching staff wanted to cut him but just couldn’t because of his potential.

It’s only a matter of time before we are all buying Webb memorabilia. I’m sure Atlanta had nightmares for a decade or so after they dropped Favre. Speaking of Favre, you could see his amazement with Webb on the sidelines during the Philly game – it was pretty cool to watch. I am bookmarking this post some I can come back to it in a year and say I told you so. LOL.

75. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@DRS – I think you will see professionals next year. I thnk the NFL and its’ Players realize that every year in this league is important and missing even one season over a disagreement is costly to careers, the league and the fans. Just my opinion, but I think the CBA amongst other things will be hashed out by spring time.

76. By Carl K on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I think the draft will still mean something. But that is a good monday morning mail bag question for Mike Wobschall send it in to him.

If we have replacement players next year… I think Ryan Perrilloux might get his shot as our QB.

77. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I say call Ryan Leaf in Vancouver and give him a shot. Now that he’s off the nose candy. Maybe we could get Nova there to talk him back. lol.

78. By DRS on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Hope all had a great New Year party last night, will blog later, got to go.

79. By TW VIKE on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Griffin is done!!! We need secondary help, just like we did after last season!!

80. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Yes! We need big physical corners that no how to tackle. We could also use a tough, hard hitting safety or two. Get out your Joey Browner film fellas.

Also, catching the ball during a potential interception should not be optional. lol.

81. By purplerainman on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

lol…This morning, I had listened to the ESPN announcers when we selected Chris Cook in the last draft, they almost seemed disappointed. lol. What a dud. I can’t stand that guy. Ray Edwards should have body slammed him.

82. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

So far Cook has been a nobody. He’s been moving around on the injured list all season. Hopefully he’ll bounce back in 2011 and show the potential that the coaches saw in him just like Greenway did after his rookie year injury.

83. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

How likely is it that we’ll re-sign Ray Edwards? I’ve been looking at mock drafts this morning and everybody seems to think that if we don’t take a QB (Mallet seems to be the favorite for us there) then we’ll be taking a DE. I really don’t care for that idea even without Ray. I still think that Robison is a solid player at the left end.

Offensive line, Linebacker and Wide Receiver seem to be the top 3 areas to me that we need for a starter.

84. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@purpleparody … I think we should resign Edwards the guy is only 25 and he is so close to hitting his prime … maybe we franchise him which means we only have to pay him for a year however that means we have to sign Sidney long term because you can only have 1 frianchise player and I think Sidney need a 1 year deal to proce himself … he had one good season with a hall of fame QB and comes up injured a lot ….

and why do you keep saying we need LBs … at most there are 3 on the field and in nickel only 2 … we have Greenway, Henderson …. and Leber doesnt play a lot because we play a lot of nickel

85. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@purplemainman … you think we need ILB …. there is only 1 ILB that plays in a game …. you dont like EJ Henderson? and Jasper Brinkley backs him up?

please explain your reasoning …

86. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

clearly the only needs we have for next season are ..

1-QB
    2-OT
    3-Safety
    4-WR

MAYBE …

5-OL
    6-CB

87. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Shawn – I don’t agree that we need to spend a 1st round pick on a QB. QBs are too much of a gamble in either of the first two rounds. Just look at the Panthers. Jimmy Clausen was at one point projected to be a top ten draft pick, then Carolina signed him in the second round and now they are already planning on replacing him with Luck.

If we really want a QB out of the draft, we should wait until the 4th or 5th round and see who’s still available.

In terms of LBs, we may not need a top tier guy, but we at least need to find a solid replacement for Leber. Maybe Erin Henderson is that guy, but if he’s not then it’s still worth spending a middle round pick on someone who could be.

88. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – I understand why some people are thinking we need an ILB, since EJ is 30 now and nearing the end of his career. I don’t agree that we need to find his replacement this year though. I think we would be better suited to wait until either he retires, or the end of his contract and then spend a 1st round pick on his replacement. I’d rather have a high quality draft pick there than hope that we can develop a diamond in the dust for such an important position on the defense.

89. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@purpleparody … ok, well I didnt say we need a QB first round either

what i said is if Luck or Mallet fall to us we cant pass it up … I also mentioned taking Stanzi in the 4th or 5th rounds … so i guess we agree there

and that LB reasoning sounds reasonable … need a replacement for Leber, unless the 31 year old will sign for less money … and Erin Henderson does seem do get injured too much … so I think its a valid point

thanx for clearing it up

90. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@purpleparody …. dont forget Jasper Brinkley filled in for him pretty well last year and Jasper is only 25 … but i hear ya, could use some LB depth

91. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Happy New Year from north of the border! KKKKKKIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLL

92. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Happy New Year Nova!!!!

93. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn – good point on Jasper, he did perform admirably last year, but is he a team leader? I’ve always viewed the MLB as the defensive player that needs to take the most control of the defense, and I’d be willing to bet that Greenway was the man to step up to lead the defense in Henderson’s absence. But if Jasper can become that leader then we’re all the better for it.

94. By Titus on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Happy and Prosperous New Year Nova!

95. By Ricefield on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Happy New Year to all!

96. By Titus on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

May it be a prosperous new year for everyone!

97. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

vikings signed … WR Juaquin Iglesias from bears practice squad

98. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Shawn. I thought this site gave some good information on the move:

I wouldn’t expect the guy to step on the field tomorrow, and I’d agree that the move was solely intended to start rebuilding the receiving corps for next year. Hopefully they’ll be able to sign Rice to a new contract as well, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we put a franchise tag on him instead.

It looks like Iglesias has more upside than Lewis or Baskett, both of which are finishing their contracts. Most would argue that it would be better to keep him around and tell Berrian to hit the road as well, since Berrian is taking in much more than Iglesias would demand.

99. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

By the looks of it, our receiving corps is going to be very empty tomorrow. Rice will most likely sit out, leaving Harvin at #1 backed up by Camarillo, Lewis and Baskett. Don’t be surprised to see more backs and tight ends running routes this week in an attempt to keep the defenders busy in coverage.

100. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

that was a good article … i like the comment about berrian lewis an baskett being gone next year

101. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

sounds like this iglesias kid could be a descent 5 or 6 WR next year

102. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

lol, me too.

There still is plenty of hope at WR next year, if we can get Rice a new contract. That would make the depth chart be Rice, Harvin, Camarillo/Iglesias, and then hopefully Jaymar Johnson will be back. I’m not sure what his contract is, but if he’s still around I still think that his skills are good enough to put him in at #3 on the chart if the coaches will give him a chance.

103. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

if you read the analysis on Iglesias from the link i posted it doesnt sound like he really has any

now here is a WR that is on our practice squad right now Freddie Brown and his weaknesses make him sound horrible

104. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

oops i left out a word in the first paragraph on the link above … what it should say is it doesnt look like Iglesias really has any weaknesses

105. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree that Iglesias sounds like a significantly better option than Brown. From the analysis, it looks like Brown needs improvement just to secure himself as a #5/6 receiver.

106. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

lol thats what i thought … guess we have to wait untill preseason to see it … but its always fun to speculate

107. By Frederick Jones on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Webb looks like the next Tarkenton. He will get tested by a tough game plan this week.

Give the young man time, he will play like he did versus Philly.

His performance really underscores the need for offensive linemen. Would it be wise to draft several o-linemen in the hope that one or two pan out?

The Vikings have too many holes to fill all at once. The offensive line needs to improve more than any other group.

108. By Shawn on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Fred , I think we should come out of the draft with

1 QB
    2 OT
    2 SAFETYS
    2 WR

That would give us 2 chances at our 3 biggest weaknesses

109. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Shawn – I think you’re overlooking the defensive line. I don’t think they’re a weakness quite yet, but something needs to happen or they will just continue to decline.

I think that even if we are able to keep Edwards on the team, we’ll still need to sign a nice young DT to revitalize the middle of the line. Pat Williams has been great over the years, but it looks like his diminishing effects have hurt the line the most. If we can get a good replacement for Pat, I think that we don’t need to worry too much about our Safeties – where we have 2 or 3 young guys already that are showing improvement.

110. By Frederick Jones on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

@Purple

You are right about P. Williams, however the defensive line seems very deep. It would never hurt to add a quality player any where.

However I feel that the oline is lacking in quality AND quantity. We need some people there.

The d-backs are part of a great defense. Watch out for Marcus Sherels who was finally activated for this week’s game. Marcus was the only Viking to grab an interception in the preseason. He is very quick!!!

111. By animal26 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

does anyone know anything about Juaquin Iglesias? I don’t really know why the vikings have been so interested in this guy.

112. By Guest on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope they keep frank walker he has been making some good plays for the secondary.

113. By Titus on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I have a feeling they took that receiver because he is the best available at the time. You don’t get a Moss deal out of the blue very often (long sigh).
    Anyone watching the outdoor hockey? I am usually not a fan, but it is cool being outside– sports are meant to be outdoors, unless it’s ping pong.

114. By PurpleParody on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Right now we are hurting at WR, athe guy has physical qualities that give him potential to be a solid depth player.

Titus – where do you go to find an outdoor bowling alley? I’ve never tried that before…

115. By Arrow86 on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Guest: Frank Walker made 3 or 4 plays in the Philly game, but couldn’t catch a cold in Antarctica, thus he drops a sure pick. Until the last game, I thought Frank Walker was the role Chuck Norris played on Walker, Texas Ranger.

Jouaquin Iglesius had a respectable career at OU. I don’t know his skills and how to rate a 1-5 receiver. I do know he can catch it, which is more than I can say for Baskett and Berrian.

116. By Titus on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Wiseguy.

117. By Jordan on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Round 1-Andrew Luck/ Ryan Mallet or DE
    Round 2-OT
    Round 3-SS, FS, or CB
    Round 4-OT, DT, or SS
    Round 5-OT, SS, or FS
    Round 6-WR
    Round 7-DE

Round 3 is a pick we don’t have anymore which sucks because the first 3 are key in this year’s draft. Ray Edwards, Pat Williams, and Brett Favre are big shoes to fill.

118. By Frederick Jones on May 27, 2011 | Reply

May 27, 2011

See how many people thought we should draft offensive linemen high in the draft ! ! !

May 27, 2011 7:57 p.m.

119. By echo on May 30, 2011 | Reply

Well, it is a pity.

120. By อัญมณี on Dec 20, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
    you’re a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back very soon.
    I want to encourage one to continue your great job, have a nice evening!

2. Dec 31, 2010: Griffin Confident As He Rehabs Knee Injury | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Dec 31, 2010: 2010 Ed Block Courage Award Recipients: Charles Woodson & Cedric Griffin « Purple Pants, Green Jersey