Vikings Injury Roundup

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 30, 2010 – 7:30 am

The Vikings face a condensed week as they prepare for the Detroit Lions because their game with the Eagles was postponed and moved from Sunday night to Tuesday night. As a result, the team did not practice on Wednesday and will instead resume on-field activities today.

Wednesday is typically the day NFL teams install their game plan, hold their initial practice of the week and submit the first injury report of the week. The Vikings, though, got back from Philadelphia around 3:00 a.m. Wednesday morning and interim head coach Leslie Frazier gave his players the day off.

But, per NFL protocol, the Vikings still had to submit an injury report in advance of Sunday’s date with the Lions. So the team had to make a guess at to which injured players would or would not have practiced. Also, Frazier held his usual day-after-the-game press conference and addressed the status of several of his injured players.

Here is the injury roundup as of Thursday morning…

CB Asher Allen (hip), QB Brett Favre (concussion/neck/right shoulder), LB Erin Henderson (concussion), WR Sidney Rice (concussion), FB Fahu Tahi (ankle) and S Madieu Williams (concussion) were all listed as non-participants in practice. Frazier indicated all players with concussions would be day-to-day this week, and he specifically mentioned that Favre has not yet passed the ImPACT test, which is the test all players must pass before being cleared to resume on-field activities. As for Tahi, Frazier said the team expected him to be available for this weekend’s game in Detroit.

S Tyrell Johnson (knee) and RB Adrian Peterson (knee) were both listed as limited participants in practice. Johnson has been out for several weeks with his injury and Peterson has been battling leg injuries for several weeks as well.

“The fact that Adrian was able to complete the game is a big plus for us,” Frazier said on Wednesday. “We’ll have to keep an eye on him during the course of the week, because you’re right, the very first contact he got was right in that spot, so we’ll have to see how he goes. He played well. He played terrific, even with that injury, so we’ll have to see what happens the rest of this week.”

Tags:

123 Responses to “Vikings Injury Roundup”

1. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

It sure seems like the NFL has had alot of concussions this year. Are the helmets new or different this year?

2. By Ricky on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Dear Coach,
    Please I want the Vikings to win again. I want to beat the Detroit Lions – kick their butts! I want a quick touchdown – beat them for my dad! It will make my dad happy. Please win! I want a new Vikings calendar too. Happy New Year!

Ricky

3. By Chaz on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

NEW STADIUM. Can they use the insurance money for the metrodome to help fund a new one?

4. By Randy on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

If the season ended today, does anyone know what draft pick the Vikings would have?

5. By viking joe on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb needs to learn to slide feet first!! one good hit to he head could end his career,i wouldnt like that very much,SKOL VIKINGS GO JOE WEBB

6. By jjj on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I wondered watching the aftermath of the hit – just how much of an act Samuel was putting on – him taking his helmet off etc. – while he may have had some affect from the hit – it seem like he was putting on a show – curious if anyone else had that impression?

7. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The first thing the Vikings need is better line men on both sides of the ball, Draft them first. Then the Vikings need a better secondary on their defense. Try to draft and trade T-Jack for couple of secondary defensive men. Draft a good QB for a 3rd string QB and get in free agency a veteran QB as a back up to Joe or as a starter until Joe is fully ready to play.

8. By David Plowman on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The vikings cannot trade TJACK since his contract is up at the end of the season. The only way that could happen if the vikings resign him, And if they do that they will be stuck with him. Other teams may want him but not for draft picks or any decent players.

9. By Ricefield on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Well I guess this puts to rest the idea that the Bears game was dangerous because of the field. The Eagles Stadium was supposedly in a lot better shape but we came out of the game with more concussions.

TAKE THAT KLUWE!!!

10. By Carl Brodin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

By my estimation as of this week the vikings would be picking any where from pick 11-14. We still have another game to play that will tell us where were at Nfl draft wise. We need to either move Mckinnie to right tackle or try to get a 2nd and or 3rd round draft pick. I would say give Patrick Brown a chance in mini-camp next year or get a decent tackle in free agency. 1st QB 2nd C-T 3rd CB-S 4th T? 5th CB? 6th ? 7th ? I would take a look at Marcus Shreles CB at worst he could be a back up. If the Vikings put Antone Winfield at safety then we would have put Chris Cook over there because to spite what we saw Tuesday night Asher Allen needs to play inside for a while before he plays outside. I am incouraged by what i saw from Sanford he just needs more experience.
    Tyrell Johnson has nothing and Husain Abdullah should be tried at Cornerback.

11. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

If the Vikings pick between 13th to 16th in the first round of the draft… the FRANCHISE QBs WILL BE GONE!!! half the teams picking in the top ten want/need QB help. Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallet and Cam Newton will be long gone. Jack Locker or Blaine Gabbert might be an option for us in the first round but why would we want 3 young QBs on our roster (a rookie, Webb, Bomar) with only 1 start in the NFL combined.

12. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

If there is a franchise QB worth taking in the first round of the NFL draft… he is usually gone in the top ten picks.

13. By Jordan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Jack Locker, Ryan Mallet, and Andrew Luck are the only QB’s I’m interested in. I say we just draft good olineman, dlineman, cbs, ss and fs, and that is what we need. Free Agency will be huge this year. I think we should throw away the next 3 years in hopes that webb can be our guy!

14. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

That first round pick could give us the best OT or S coming out this years draft.

15. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Look at the teams that could be picking ahead of us. Panthers, Bengals, Bills Cardinals, 49ers, Washington, Tenn, Oakland… They all have QB questions! Do you really believe they will pass on a true franchise QB if he is available?

16. By vikes blogger on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

http://cole-wolvesvikingsblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/wolves-cant-finish.html, read what is hurting the Timberwolves, and y they could be have 10 more wins

17. By ray brann on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Looking at statistics only 1 pass has been thrown to Hank Bassett
    why isn’t he called on to play?

18. By Rogerthevikefan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Draft Ricky Stanzi to battle Joe Webb. He atleast will be a good back up. Good pocket passer and is very poised plus makes good decisions. Draft a tackle first or trade down. Then draft a safety second. Stanzi may fall to the 4th round.

19. By Katie on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Hank Baskett, is injured, thats why he hasn’t been playing, but he is still on the team!.

20. By Justin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I fail to see why anything regarding the Timberwolves has anything to do with a Vikings blog.

21. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know why people think Mallett will be a franchise QB in this league. I’ve seen him play and he reminds me of Rex Grossman. He may have some talent, but he’ll scrèw it up with poor decisions. After seeing last week’s game, I think our best choice would be to pick up a free agent QB with plenty of years’ experience (it looks like there will be a decent crop of choices there) and continue to develop Webb.

In the draft we need to sure up the offensive line one way or another, and then get one more decent DB, plus a speedy WR to play opposite Rice. Then we can cut Berrian and M. Williams while developing tons of future talent.

We may want to look into a linebacker in the draft as well. There are a lot of questions at that position right now with some guys getting old and others’ contracts running out.

22. By Justin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

That was to Vikes blogger

23. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

We might be able to get Stanzi in the 4th round. or Pat Devlin as a 4th round guy. I am just not sure is Locker is really that much better than a guy like Stanzi Devlin who we can get in the later rounds. We could even trade our 4th round pick for a veteran like Palmer, Orton or Kolb. I like the idea of picking up a solid veteran and keeping Webb a Bomar as our young guns.

24. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Justin– lighten up. As long as it’s not malicious or derogatory, people can post what they like.

25. By Justin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

But it makes no sense.

26. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree Justin. That’s why I deduce that it makes the best sense to just ignore the senseless dolts that come in here. We can’t force them to stop being ignorant, so what’s the use in trying to?

Carl – I like your reasoning, but we needn’t worry about Locker anyways. All year he has been touted as the heavy favorite to go first in the draft, and we’ll be looking for someone who will still be available by pick 12-16.

27. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

PurpleParody- I agree, I think Locker, Mallet, Luck, Newton will all be gone when we pick. But I think one of them… maybe Locker cause he had a bad year, could fall in the draft the way Causen and Brady Quinn did. That will make this pick ivery interesting… but I still think we roll with Webb, and fix our OL first.

I am dreaming hear but I would love to see Favre get healthy and play agianst the Lions. Maybe split the reps with Webb. Maybe get Webb and Favre on the field at the same time. Picture this… Webb’s first NFL TD thrown.. is to future HOF Brett Favre. Get Healthy Brett and Go Out On Top! Go Vikings, Go Webb.

28. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

By ray brann on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Looking at statistics only 1 pass has been thrown to Hank Bassett
    why isn’t he called on to play?

LoL … he caught 1 pass hes had more thrown to him and dropped them HE SUCKS

29. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Keep in mind we had a shot at TJ Whosyourmamma but Chilly has such an ego he wouldnt sign him since a year earlier TJ choose Seattle over us

30. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

TJ Houshmanzadeh …

28 catches 381 yards and 3 TDs

Chilly’s Eagle cast offs

Greg Lewis / Hank ” needs a ” baskett

18 catches 215 yards 0 tds

31. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

as of right now we are tied with 4 teams for the 11th pick in the draft … im not sure how all the tie breakers work ….

32. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

no doubt we beat Detroit leaving us drafting around 15 ….

33. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

But Shawn, what was the price for Whosyourmamma? I’d be willing to bet that he wanted as much as Berrian is getting now, which is too much for either of them at their level of production.

I’d be happier keeping either Lewis or Baskett on the team next year just to keep the roster deep at the position, and then cutting Berrian. Then Ian Johnson SHOULD be moved back to WR (I still think he has plenty of promise) and hopefully we can find a gem with a mid-round pick at WR. After that, our WRs would be Rice, Harvin, Johnson, [Draftman], Camarillo, and Baskett/Lewis. That should be plenty of depth for any QB, young or experienced to play with.

34. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

i am reading all the opinions on the draft and heres mine =)

If Mallet and Luck are gone we draft best available OT or Safety

and sign Kyle Orton as QB insurance

and draft Ricky Stanzi in a later round

have a major QB competition through training camp and keep the best 3 from Orton, Webb, Bomar, Stanzi and maybe Stanzi spends a year on the practice squad … I doubt Ramsey will be around hes only a band aid for this season

35. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Purple Parody, Ian Johnson is gone and he was a RB …. I have no idea how much TJ makes, and I agree a 4th – 7th round recievers could easily replace, Berrian, Lewis , and Baskett they all 3 suck …

36. By wispurplehead on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Just caught Joe’s Thursday “presser” and anybody that would not give this guy a shot is not in their right mind! He is honest, humble, and you can tell WILLING to learn. He has the talent and by listening to him, did not want to be a receiver. The guy wants to play the QB position. We don’t need the wildcat and many of us have seen that it doesn’t work in the NFL. We can save the pick on a QB and concentrate on the O-line and secondary. Once again Joe said that Brett was right there to help him. Brett was helping with reading blitz and coverage packages. Hearing that, leads me to believe we could pull Brett into a player/QB coach position!! That would help us huge in the QB slot. If we even get one year with that situation, Joe would grow exponentially during that period! Leslie stated that they are already expanding Joe’s playbook. People just give this a chance and stop with the shopping talk. SKOL!!!

37. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

We’re tied with Washington, Tennessee and Seattle at the 11th spot in the draft. Since we beat Washington, that will move us back at least to #12. We stay ahead of Seattle because they beat the Bears and we didn’t (like schedule tie-breaker). Since we are even with Tennessee on the like schedules (they beat the Giants but lost to the Skins), it would then go down to difficulty of opponents, which is further than I want to research right now.

But Tennessee is facing the Colts this week, which is a game that I think they won’t win since the Colts need to win it, so with us beating Detroit, it will move us back to the #13 spot.

Other teams that I think will be 7-9 are the Rams and Raiders. Miami could but since the Patriots already have homefield advantage, and since the Dolphins have been a better team on the road than at home I’m picking them for an upset this week, leaving them at 8-8 for the season. St Louis pushes us back another spot to #14, and Oakland pushes us back once more, so I’d be will to bet that we fall to the fifteenth selection in this year’s draft.

38. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – I thought Ian Johnson was just on the IR list for the year? Anyways, he was moved to RB this year, for whatever reason didn’t make much sense to me. That’s why I said I think he should be moved back to WR.

39. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

yup that what i said purple so most likely we dont have to think about the big 2 passers, I think Newton sounds like at best a vince young and NOBODY NEEDS THAT, and Locker sounds like he will fall to bottom of the first or top of second so no real discussion however is Mallet or Luck falls for some reason like one of them gets caught smoking a joint at the combine then we would have to take him … Cutler was accused of being a pot head during draft time

40. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@purple your thinking of darius reynaud moved from WR to RB

41. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

then we traded him with sage and he is on giants ir … Ian Johnson was a RB from Boise State and hes gone

42. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, I just realized my mistake. I meant to be talking about Jaymar Johnson, not Ian.

Mark 1-idiot point for me please!

43. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Shawn I think you are thinking about Jaymar Johnson.

44. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Yea, I kind of had my memories of Reynaud and (JAYMAR) Johnson mixed together a bit and didn’t sort them out. I thought both would be high quality 3rd or 4th string receivers, and wanted to keep them on the team.

45. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

o yea purple jaymar is on IR …

46. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

lol @ Shawn – same reason we were able to draft Moss and Harvin. It’s as if Minnesota is a safe-haven for pot-head NFL prospects.

47. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

no worries opinions and mistakes happen

48. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I like Webb and his upside but i think if Mallet or luck falls ( i doubt they will ) you have to take a shot at the next great QB

49. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

or maybe Locker hits us in the second round … again i doubt it so no point arguing over it

Stanzi would be a nice late round QB …

one thing about Webb is he is goin to take hits with his running so WE WILL NEED ANOTHER QB

I think Orton would be a good FA guy

50. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Locker plays tonight. Washington and Nebraska in the Holiday bowl. Take a good look at him.

51. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Jay Cutler
    Kellen Klemens
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Alex D. Smith
    Aaron Rodgers
    Jason Campbell

Of them, I think that Rodgers, Cutler, Flacco and Ryan are the only ones who have truly panned out yet. Bradford and Tebow obviously deserve another year or two to prove themselves, and Stafford still has a shot if he can keep healthy while Kolb has been hiding in the shadows but just may become someone when he gets his chance. So at best, that indicates that only 1/3 of these high-draft QBs ever pan out in the NFL.

I say if we do decide to draft a QB, make it a late round pick for depth, and stick with the talent that has already emerged.

52. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I would add Freeman and Sanchez to your list of guys on the verge of making it …

53. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Miami pulled the plug on Pat White pretty quick. I think he is playing baseball now.

54. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Purple- I agree, taking a QB in the first two rounds is a risk. I just can’t believe we took T-jack in the second round.

55. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

lol we didnt just take him we traded up for him …. but i still think tjack will be a solid back up …

56. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I like him as a backup… but it seems he is always hurt.

57. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I think chilly called him a china doll once.

58. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

i would feel worse if we took say a Jamarcus Russell #1 …. had much does that suck lol

TJack is better than Jamarcus Russell and we got him in the second round , poor Raider fans

59. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

err how much … not had much

60. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Washington fans say the same thing about Patrick Ramsey. OK QB but not very durable.
    Does anyone know, did we sign Ramsey and Bomar to long term contract or just 1 year deals?

61. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – Freeman maybe…I haven’t heard too much about him, but I don’t think Sanchez deserves consideration. He doesn’t strike me as anything special. Just a game manging QB, not a game changing one. But that’s what the Jets wanted with their heavy running offense.

62. By HireFrazier on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I would say Sanchez and Freeman have panned out ok. yes

63. By HireFrazier on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Matt Stafford too

64. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Stafford’s been injured too much to get credit yet.

65. By Seabass21 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@PurpleParody…………. your ranking the teams all wrong and are making it more complicated than it should be. I see what your thinking but its a lot simpler than that.

1. Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
    2. The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
    3. The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
    4. The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
    5. The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by “””””””strength-of-schedule”””””””. If any ties cannot be broken by “”””””strength-of-schedule””””””, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

66. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Purple – If Sam Bradford takes the rams to the playoff in his first year, you will need to add him for sure.

67. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Ha, ok, that does not seem too simple by all the writing but basically it comes down to if your “IN” the playoffs you are pick 21-32 and if you “DO NOT” make it into the playoff you are picks 1-20.

Then it comes down to strength of schedule. If there is a tie breaker between two teams at lets say at 5-10, the team with the easier strength of schedule would get to go first,since, hypothetically, they in a way should have had a better record with their easier schedule, thus rendering them supposedly the worse team.

68. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Ok I will agree with stafford being injured too much

69. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t find anything about the details of either new QBs contracts, but they both appear to provide some positive aspects for us if they stick around. Bomar did well in college, but had some legal issues…still could be a reliable back-up after watching Eli play for a couple of years. While Ramsey provides the experience factor, having signed with 8 different teams before the Vikings since being drafted 32nd overall in the 2002 draft. He kind of adds the same level of experience that Gus Frerrotte gave us a few years ago.

I still would like to pick up one other guy in free agency during the off-season and have a competition for the last spot on the roster, knowing that Webb is already secured as the #1 or #2, depending on the free agent.

70. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Sign Orton … draft Stanzi if the big 3 dont land in a good spot for us and let the best man win…

71. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Purple- you are right on the money. I think the Vikings need to make room in the front office for you.

72. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

shawn- i can’t believe the Vikings haven’t found a spot for you in the front office as well.

73. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Seabass, it looks like you’re right. I just naturally assumed that the tie-breaking procedure for determining the draft order was the same as the tie-breaking procedure for determining homefield advantage for the playoffs (which is the situation that I described).

It would make more sense to keep the same procedure for both situations though, regardless of which procedure they decide upon.

74. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@PurpleParody….. no prob, I actually thought the same way at first too. I had to do some research myself to understand how the structure went in the draft

75. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Lol Carl – thanks for the vote of confidence. Honestly, I’d be happy with a job as Victor!

76. By bobby c on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

isnt carson palmer going to be avaliable in the free agency this year

77. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

no way Bengals let Palmer go … they have so many issues Palmer is not one of them

78. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The Joe Webb presser was fun to watch. Joe seems like a good humble kid.

79. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@Seabass – I would assume then that we had one of the tougher schedules, and would still fall to the 14th-16th selection.

80. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Palmer is not a free agent. If the Bengals draft a QB with the number 2 pick (if Luck fall to them). They might trade Palmer, but they will probably want alot. He will be a free agent in 2 years.

81. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

yea i like the kid … hes humble and willing to do anything the coaches ask

82. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Its crazy to think that we could have easily been in the top 5 picks for the draft if we lost our last 2 games but I will take wins over draft position any day.

As for picks………. I agree in that we should give Webb the shot next year, grab a good veteran QB in free agency to back him up and to also guide him. The only way i would see a free agent start over Webb is if it was Peyton Manning, ha you can only dream right!?

We will mostly go with our “best player available” strategy but I agree that our OL, CB/S, DL, and finally WR is our top needs in order(Also QB but i didnt count that). All the QBs will be selected before the VIKES which is fine cuz that drops the other top players to us. If CB LSUs Peterson or Alabamas Prince are not there then id be more than happy with DT Auburns Nick Fairly or Stephen Paea (Paea is an absolute monster) Even DE/OLB Robert Quinn is so off the chart talented he could make Clay Matthews look like a girl….wait…. he already does haha. Then there is nobody that will take an OL before the VIKES leaving us with the best one available, which Id be very pleased with. I like the S’s in this draft but we can basically nab a pretty great S in the 2nd round since very very few will go first round anyways. I would not at all be dissapointed in taking WR Alabamas Julio Jones or Oklahomas St.’s Blackmon (Blackmon is an animal), a good receiver would make our offense absolutely freakin scary.
    Bottom line….. we get the best player available but we need to get an OL in the top 2 rounds.

83. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@PurpleParody……………… ya your right. I think last time i checked we are at 14 so pretty much right in the middle

84. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The worst draft position we can get is the 16th pick and the best i that i have checked (not totally 100%) is top 10

85. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Seabass- doesn’t head to head competion mean any thing. Lets say the Redskins and the Vikings have the same record, because the Vikings won in head to head match play wouldn’t the Redskins get to pick before the Vikings?

86. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

sounds like the new CBA will incude a rookie salary cap so if a team drafts a bust it wont cost them as much

87. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

also with a rookie salary cap no real chance of a holdout

88. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@Carl K…….. see that is exactly what I thought but more likely than not there will be more than two teams with the same record.

Now if it was just the Vikings and Redskins that are tied with their record, it would still come down to strength of schedule percentage. Then is goes to who has a worse Divisional Record and then Conference Record. Now I dont know if eventually it would come down to head to head but usually at this point it is a coin flip.

89. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Julio Jones is on my list of guy also. I agree he would make our O scary.
    But right now with the 14 or 15th pick, I think OT Nate Solder might be #1 on my list. That all can change in april. I reserve the right to change my mind many times before draft day.

90. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Seabass – I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to college players, but that sounded like a great breakdown of the draft. I especially liked the bit about Clay Matthews! Hilarious!!

91. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@shawn

Oh my I hope that is the case because this rookie salary deal has got way way out of hand.

It should be something like the top pick would get 3-4 years and eventually by the end of the draft it should curve down to 1-2 year contracts with set money amounts along with each pick.

This would encourage rookies to bust their butt off, make the most of their potential, and so by the end of their couple of years they will get a good salary that THEY ACTUALLY earned.

If not, then the team can discard the player and not have a big hole in their franchise because some 280lb QB never lived up to potential because he balooned to 300+ lbs and got mixed with drugs. Veterans prove themselves, rookies should be no different.

92. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – that salary cap for rookies is essential. I can’t believe how much money some guys take in before they even put on a jersey! Realistically, I think that all rookies should be required to sign with the team that drafted them for a 3-year stint, where they are paid off of a predetermined formula for the entire league based on their performance. After that they can start getting greedy, as they’ll have proof that they can earn their keep.

93. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@Seabass – 280lb QB? REALLY?? Are you going down to the fat-camp college to get all your draft picks?

94. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

yea it isnt right matt ryan hadnt played a down and made more than peyton manning … but it one of the things they want from what ive heard … basketball has one in place

95. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

My gosh, you people have been busy– I cannot catch up on all these posts. Happy New Year to all. This season is almost a memory, and we can be hopeful again– training camp will be here suddenly and with a few changes, we should be contenders, even as early as next year.

96. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

lol hes talking about jamarcus russell

97. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

happy new year to u as well titus

98. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

@PurpleParody………….. haha thats what the raiders did I guess. You know…. that reminds me……… wouldnt a sumo wrestler be an amazing situational DT?! That could be just me

99. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Daunte was over 250 – J russell I think was even heavier at one point.

100. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

he wasnt joking jamarcus russell REALLY DID GET OVER 300 LBS

101. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wow – I just read up on Russell – The 2007 draft listed him at 265lbs, and he actually did weigh in at over 300lbs at one point while he was still in the NFL. At 6’6″ that’s completely preposterous, but you don’t see many linebackers getting that big.

102. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

**At 6’6″ that’s NOT completely preposterous…

One word can really make a difference.

103. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

A QB sneak at 300 lb.. that should pick up a least a yard.

104. By Shawn on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

DEs rarely hit 300 … LBs the biggest 2 i know of were about 280 Levon Kirkland and some Eagle LB i think it was most hover around 250 …

105. By Seabass on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Ha oh my, I never thought about Russell being the scariest QB sneaker in the NFL. He could be the best kept short yardage secret of all time. Anything 2 yards or less, pop in the QB sneakin big poppa, and BOOM you got your first down. Wow, that’ll be the day when a coach saves a roster spot for a “situational short yardage player”.

106. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

That big a QB could stand in the pocket all day– like an AP when no one can bring him down.

107. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I have known some big boys that could run in my time. In my high school we had 3 that could run. The other teams dreaded bringing them down. Do not know what happened to them; have not heard from them in some time. Does anyone remember the fridge that played for the Bears?

108. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Of course, the fridge was part of the 85 team that Coach Frazier played on.

109. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

He was a big guy that moved well. Took 3 or 4 to take him down.

110. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I remember watching him score a TD when the Bear’s played the Vikings, it seemed like it took the entire defense to take him down.

111. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Got to go. G*d bless you one and all.

112. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Remember their QB, Jim McMahon? He was a Viking later on.

113. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

They went to the SB that year, did they not?

114. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The bear’s that is.

115. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Yes I remember that.

116. By DRS on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Got to go.

117. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey All, I just got on…with all the talk of drafting a QB…what about signing a signing someone like Kolb, Palmer, or McNabb to mentor Webb? I think he could be our QB for the future… he just needs more experience and time?

118. By Zach R on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Would I be out of line to say that it is kind of sickening how they go on and on about Favre passing that concussion test, but never say a word about Rice? I mean really, Rice is infinitely more important to this team and its future at this given time. Can we hear how he is doing? Please?

119. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I would love to hear how Rice is doing. However, when it comes to health matters, no one player, or human being for that matter is more important than another– at least in my book. It would be nice to hear about Rice, but to compare injuries by the value of one human being over another in terms of performance and future value to a sporting franchise– that is sickening. It is still just a sport. We are talking about people’s long term mental health.

120. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

So the answer is yes, you are out of line. HEE HEE. Hope I was not too abrasive. Just felt the prose rising up.

121. By PurpleParody on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Titus, don’t try to tell us that you wouldn’t be more interested in the well being of your mother than that of Eric Harris and Dylanb Klebold.

Okay, yes I know that was a very extreme example, but hopefully it helps you to understand the point that everybody, whether they want to admit it or not, cares about the health of certain people more than other people.

122. By Titus on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Purple, I know, I even admitted in a quick second post I may be rocking the boat more than I should My bad. Have to have fun somehow– now that Chilly is gone, the blog is so quiet.

2. Dec 30, 2010: Vikings Injury Roundup | Vikings Stop Blog