Team Leaders Stepped Up For Vikings

Posted by cjsiewert on December 29, 2010 – 4:16 pm

Headed into Tuesday night’s matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Vikings had lost consecutive games by a combined score of 61-17 and were forced to wait an extra 2 days to play their Week 16 game due to another weather-related delay.

Frustration and anxiety could have best suited the feelings among Vikings players while waiting to play the Eagles, but instead, team leaders took a stand to staying focused and making sure the rest of the team had the same mindset.

“After having a couple of tough losses like we had and some of the circumstances involved in those losses, guys can tend to, especially young guys, begin to think more about the offseason than the next opponent,” Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier said during his day-after-the-game press conference. “I needed our veteran guys to step up in that locker room, on the field and at practice to lead the way and that’s exactly what Jared Allen did, Kevin Williams, Antoine Winfield, Adrian (Peterson), different guys that are in leadership roles, that’s exactly what they did.

“They stepped up and not only backed it up with talk but they did it on the field as well and our younger players really followed their example last night.”

Frazier re-established a group of team leaders after he assumed his current role as interim head coach in order to create a stronger relationship between himself and his players. He also wanted to make sure that the team leaders would gain a better understanding of what was expected of them and to communicate that message with the rest of the players in the locker room.

The days leading up to Tuesday night’s victory and the outcome of the game may well have been the best example of the Vikings cohesiveness between the head coach, team leaders and the rest of the club.

After the decision had been made to postpone the game until Tuesday night, Vikings team leaders shared their thoughts on the issue and it is clear that everyone remained focus on the task at hand.

“Coach Frazier told us to continue to stick together, to stay focused, and that’s what we’ll do,” RB Adrian Peterson mentioned on Monday.

Other leaders voiced their opinions on Monday as well. DE Jared Allen said, “We have to remain together as a team and keep a positive mind frame.”

Vikings K Ryan Longwell referenced a meeting the team leaders had with Frazier on Monday.

“We have every reason, because of the season, to say ‘this is the last straw and I’m checking out,’” Longwell said. “But this is the NFL and you can’t do that. You have to show up ready to play Tuesday night and that’s what we’re trying to get the young guys and everybody to understand.”

Frazier needed his leaders to step up on Tuesday night and that’s exactly what they did. And it rubbed off on the younger players as well en route to the 24-14 upset victory over the Eagles.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Team Leaders Stepped Up For Vikings”

1. By PhillyFilly on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Vikings! God bless every one of you for beating the sorry Eagles and the ex-con! You have no idea how happy you have made people in Philadelphia and surrounding areas. We are NOT Eagles fans and never will be as long as Vick is on the team.

GO VIKINGS !!!!!!!!!!

2. By lolvikingsfans on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

He’s done his time. Get over it.

3. By Derek on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

WOW! Great job last night to Winfield, and the whole defense! Great pressure, and energy. Also finally Peterson gets some room to run! Way to go everybody, lets beat them Lions!

4. By Vikes fan in Mich on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Been waiting for an overall performance like that all year. Great job defense, AP, Harvin, Webb even the O line did its job. Maybe they played for Fraziers future. If he can continue to get performances like that out of this team I say give him the JOB.

5. By Tim on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

i just had to mention that i dont think that bryant mckinnie is the worse tackle especially when you look at phil loadholt. i do think that the vikings O.line really needs a huge makeover and it needs to start with getting rid of loadholt.

6. By Ricefield on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree. Loadholt is the worse lineman but McKinnie is bad enough that he doesn’t deserve a spot on the team next year. I say boot ‘em both!

7. By #0 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE I HOPE YOU ARE ARE COACH NEXT YEAR COACHING WEBB WE WILL LOOK STRONG AS EVER MUCH PROPS LAST NIGHT I STILL SHOCKED BY THE WIN GO VIKEZ

8. By #0 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I CAN’t WAIT TI SEE ARE NEW OPEN ROOF STADIUM LOOKING AT THE MOON AND STARZ JUST GREAT {](“^D)>+++

9. By aceviking on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

It shows that when the Vikes have a solid QB they really play well.

10. By Robins on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Webb looked great! The whole team played really well! It was so much fun to watch! It was like last year! I do hope Brett will stick around and coach Webb also. He has seen it all and done it all and could really help him out. Thanks Vikings for a fun, exciting night! Brett, thanks for coming back and trying. You got too beat up to get anything done. That wasn’t your fault. You had no protection. I hope they protect Webb! He is young and can run faster so that should help…but please protect him.

11. By George on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Told you! Joe Webb just has that something in him. He just needs some experience and he will do great!

Can’t they just remove the dome so we can have an outdoors stadium?

Go Vikings!

12. By Pamela Brown on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Good job, guys. You met the challenges well and prevailed. Awesome.

13. By larry moore on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

your on track with the finer details and line man on both sides of the ball . the deffence back where playing great to, thats what it takes to win blocking skeems on offence , and the deffence skeems and firing gaps middle line backers impressive all around attion to the details and fundmentals very much improved the team . great quarter back coaching on the side lines and line men coaching, deffence back coaching , linebacker coaching to and recivers coaching all game long , when every one knows all of the details and habits to get an advantage it works . blocking skeems on offence was the best ive seen from the vikings in a long time , and i mean sence the older super bowl team, i mean that focas and team work and coaching . larry moore

14. By martin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

well i have to admit they suprised me…i was certain it would be a blowout…logically it would have been better not to win for draft purposes…but when the score became 17-14 the fan portion emerged and the words *&%& the draft pick came out and lets win this one…now lets win in detroit but dont get fooled that changes are not needed for next year..

15. By Vernon on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Loadholt is still a work in progress. I say we let him work through his problems in the off season and have an all pro career. This is only his second year. Skol Vikes!!!!

16. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

That win and a win against the lions will drop us down in the draft. We won’t get a franchise QB picking 15th. But I will take the wins if Frazier and Webb can kept it rolling. I think the Idea of Favre as a QB coach might work… and if we have injuries or problem at QB next year we might be able to talk him into playing mid season if needed.

17. By Wesley on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Ok I will say that I was pleasantly surprised as I watched the Eagle game. Like many I thought we would get our butts kicked. I am glad Joe W. had a good game but I am not totally sold that he’s our long term QB. I think he has potential but just not sold yet. Great team win and I hope LF gets the job. He has sparked something in this team that was lacking. We still need OL, DB, DL, QB work. I like L. Booker on SP TM. I say keep him as it would give Percy a break.

18. By David Plowman on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wesley,

I totally agree with your post. I think Joe Webb played great but I am not sold on him being the QB next year. On another post I stated this and Mike accused me of not being a vikings fan. Oh well. Go VIKES.

19. By Jake on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I hope Zygi Wilf decides to hire Leslie Frazier as the permanent head coach. LF seems even-keeled and knowledgeable, and the players reportedly respect him.

20. By Carl K on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

1 more win agianst the Lions and I think the job will be his. Go Frazier.

2. Dec 29, 2010: Team Leaders Stepped Up For Vikings | Vikings Stop Blog