What To Expect From Webb vs. The Eagles

Posted by cjsiewert on December 28, 2010 – 1:55 pm

Not a whole lot: that would be the answer to what we should expect from Vikings QB Joe Webb, who will likely be tonight’s starter since Brett Favre is still listed as doubtful with a concussion.

Webb would be making his first-career NFL start on the road against a team jockeying for position in the NFC playoffs. And oh by the way, the game comes after yet another unexpected weather-related delay that forced the Vikings to call their hotel rooms in Philadelphia “home” for an extra 2 days.

It is rightfully assumed that Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid has a defensive approach in place for Webb that will feature many different blitz packages and fluid formations to confuse the rookie QB. So when combining the intangibles of tonight’s matchup with Webb’s inexperience, there’s not much that we should expect out of him tonight.

Or is there?

Webb’s raw quarterbacking skills present a weak link in the Vikings offense – as shown in last week’s loss to the Chicago Bears at TCF Bank Stadium (0 passing TDs and 2 INTs) – but his superior athletic abilities offer a unique dynamic for which the Eagles will have to account. Webb has already shown us what he is capable of when the defense puts on the pressure.

Last week against the Bears, Webb was sacked 3 times under pressure but also exhibited his athleticism when he found a way out of said situations. Down 27-7 with 9:55 remaining in the 3rd quarter and facing a 1st and 10 from the Bears 13, Webb rolled out to the right side on a play-action fake, pulled the ball down after a blitz by Bears LB Lance Briggs and beat 4 Bears defenders to the front-right pylon for a diving TD. The 13-yard score was his longest rush of the game.

So when we take into account the possibility of multiple blitz packages and continually moving defensive fronts from the Eagles, what is going to happen if Webb eludes those rushing defenders and finds open space in front of him?

His timing and connection with his receivers may not be in midseason form, but Webb has shown glimpses of what he can do in the open field and that is certainly something to keep an eye on tonight.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 86 Comments »

86 Responses to “What To Expect From Webb vs. The Eagles”

1. By sadvikings on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I hope JOE WEBB proves the haters wrong. I liked this Kid and I wish him all the best. Joe, please play AWESOME football and show ‘em all u are the FIRTS VIKES QB to bring the 1st SUPERBOWL to MN.

2. By Dawnwisconsin on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Vikings in the slaughterhouse 2 night.I just hope Webb
    doesnt get to badly injured.
    I predict..34Eagles 7 Vikings
    good luck guys…

3. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

So Dawn, you are saying good luck to the Eagles?

4. By packerfanfirst on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ll trade ya Matt Flynn for AP and Harvin.

5. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

CJ– writing an opening with the words,”Not a whole lot,” is a confidence killer for a young QB. The mind is the glue between what we want and our abilities. Mess with a person’s confidence and you mess with their performance.
    I hope that Webb does not read this before the game.
    HEY JOE– YOU WILL DO ALRIGHT!

6. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I Didn’t realize you were the GM.

7. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Are the Packers in the playoffs?

8. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Nova, another dreamer.

9. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

You’re right Titus, not a good lead-in for a Vikings blog.

10. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Nova, this team needs a winning attitude from top to bottom–

11. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

hey guys i just noticed Mike Wobs didnt write this blog and some of the others … says posted by cj siewart

12. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I have to go for a while, might talk to you guys tonight during the game if you’re around. In the meantime…….KKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

theres a 3rd writer as well ryan something … i never noticed had always assumed it was mike wobs by himself

14. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Shawn–my post starts with CJ-
    There are three different article writers– I think.

15. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

l8r nova

16. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

i wonder how many times i might have had a negative thought directed at the wrong person … o well i rarely write negative feed back to wobs, i like the guy

17. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Give Sonja something to chew on so she does not bite herself during the game.

18. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I can tell you what to expect from Joe Webb in very few words. Nothing, people have to stop deluding themselves that he can play QB at the NFL level. He would make a very good receiver, but at qb, he is nothing more then a bust.

19. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, it’s when you refrain from writing negative comments to people you do NOT like is when you have arrived– that takes strength. I can think of a few bloggers as examples, but I will keep my mouth shut.

20. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I expect Webb to outscramble Vick and score at least two TDs.

21. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say it, but this game is going to be like watching lambs to the slaughter. Vikings are going to get killed in this one.

22. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

yea i am growing up lol 8 years ago my actions and words were quicker and harsher than they are now …

23. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

animal writes about going to the slaughter– funny.

24. By Laugherty Daniels on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus – Your logic is @$$ backwards.

If Joe’s confidence level is diminished because of one media member simply stating there’s “not a whole lot” to expect from him, he’s got bigger problems than just confidence.

Professional athletes face criticism from the media on a daily basis, so if Joe wants to prove himself as a pro athlete, then he should act like one and take the criticism as ADDED motivation – prove the critics wrong. He has done next to nothing to show that he is a capable QB at the pro level.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this kid’s potential, but you can’t be an effective QB by just running around on a broken pass play.

25. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

If my logic is backwards, then we need to have a coach that un-motivates by telling players they are not going to do well. Case closed.

26. By meswant on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

If the offence line did the job they are paid to do & protect Webb then the Vikings have a chance. But unfortunately they will fail Webb just like they failed Brett

27. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, as a person it sounds like you have mellowed. As a banana, it sounds like you have ripened.

28. By Laugherty Daniels on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

You still don’t get it – Frazier obviously needs to motivate his players, but as far as the media goes, they should have NO effect on the play of a professional athlete.

Look at the beginning of this season – there were a wealth of reporters and “experts” doubting Vick’s ability to come back and be an effective QB after all that he went through and now look at him. You think Vick read that criticism and said, “oh, well I guess I can’t do well ever again,” ??? sure doesn’t look that way.

29. By Jordan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well I’m probley going to lose my fantasy football championship so I hope the eagles defense just crushes and vick can only get field goals for his team. Then i might win it. Good luck webb! I know we will lose but I’m a fan good times and bad!

30. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

trying to lighten up the mood in this chat. lol

31. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t get it? Hm? Funny. Why do you keep talking about the media? I just don’t get it? Let me scratch my head in wonder.
    This is not the media– this is the website put out by the Vikings’ organization.
    Bill Belichick does not allow his players to listen or read any outside media — there is a reason– he understands how what we hear or see affects us– whether we are aware or not. Belichick is one of the winningest coaches ever.
    Case closed.

32. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve got to finish some work before the game. See you all later when we cream the Eagles!

33. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

He is not a polished pocket QB at this point. We need to help him out by giving him roll out plays were he has 1 read or the option to run. He is an athlete… so why is it so hard to design plays around his strength? A play action roll out on 1st down has more potiental for success them asking him to set in the pocket on third and long and pick apart the Eagle’s secondary. C’mon Bevell get creative with this kid. There is a lot that this kid can do!!! He is fun to watch and the only reason I will be watching tonight. GO JOE.

34. By David Plowman on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

If Webb proves me wrong tonight that will be great, but I am a doubting Thomas because I do not think he can deliver. Sure he may run for two TD’s but he will probably get sacked 6 or seven times and throw about 4 picks. He has center stage so this is his chance but like the vikings have done all season he and they will come up short. I do not even think he can beat Detroit.

35. By GMan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m a lifelong diehard Vikings fans. It’s really sad to see what this organization has turned into.
    Thank God for ice fishing.

36. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Carl K … I agree , lets not forget Bevell is more a ” Chilly ” guy than most “Chilly” guys …. and for him to just plug in a new guy and run the same plays is Chillyness …. Webb has differant talents than a broken ankle Favre, and a smart coach needs to understand that and be creative

37. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

oops i said chillyness i meant sillyness

38. By Laugherty Daniels on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Whether it’s Patriots players or who ever, professional athletes are well aware of what is being said of them – it’s just that the best athletes know how to handle it. To me, anything “outside” of the team is anything outside the locker room, including the organization’s media.

So Joe, go out there and prove your critics wrong and if you don’t, I’m sure what was said of you still had no effect on your play.

39. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

but the vikings are going to get destroyed in this game.

40. By Laugherty Daniels on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Case closed.

41. By 4fan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I hope Brett comes back next year.

42. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I think Bevell should have studied Philly’s offense this week more than their defense …. and just use Andy Reids plays

43. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

CJ- I will tell you what to expect from Webb. The kid will play his heart out and have fun doing it. He will make every one say wow a couple of times tonight with his arm strength or with a big run. The guy can take it to the house at anytime.. What else do you want from this kid? He will probably be the only player out there giving it 110%. Yes he is going to make mistakes, but all rookies do. I expect him to preform at about the same level as a Jimmy Clausen. It takes time to begome a good NFL QB. And not every one can do it. So to expect anything more from this kid would be nuts.

44. By Coach Chilldress on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well , this is a work in prgress and we still have a lot of football left.

45. By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

you tell ‘em coach. we will right this ship any week.

46. By vikings4life on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Joe webb is the future look at tom brady 6th round look at matt cassel 7th round the round taht you make it into the nfl doesnt mean a thing its all what you do when you get there Joe’s intangibles are through the roof better than any quaterback ever perhaps he is the most agile player of last years draft

47. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

bring Chilly Back Now, and Coach Childress. You guys are funny. Bring back a coach that doesn’t know what hes saying or doing, yeah, that would set this team back a few years. You 2 must not be viking fans. I will be willing to bet you guy want Jackson back next year also, so he can stink up the field and have the vikings regress even more. I have a feeling you guys are either bear, packer, or lions fans. bahahahahahahaha bring chilly back. hahahahahahahahahahaah wait wait, hahahahahahahahaha, that is too funny of a joke. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

48. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Here is a list of a few QB in the 2010 draft that were projected to be a better NFL QB than Joe Webb.
    Bradford, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy
    John Skelton
    Tony Pike
    Dan Lafevour
    Jevan Snead
    Jarrett Brown
    Jonathan Crompton
    …. I would say Joe Webb has done well compaired to some of the others in his class. To start an NFL game is a great accomplishment. Good Luck Joe.

49. By Coach Chilldress on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Tarvaris Jackson gives us the best chance to win ….

50. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

His first NFL start and this is all the love he gets. C’mon man. Do you get paid to write stuff. He is a “feel good” story for this sorry a$$ season. Very sad.

51. By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

We would be in the playoffs had Chilly stayed.

52. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Im excited about Webb … if that makes you feel better

53. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Chilldressucks

54. By Robin on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m a 19 year Favre fan but he can’t play …and I think Webb has alot of potential. That said, what QB can play to their potential with the lack of QB protection from the 0-line this year????? At least Webb can run when they don’t defend him. sigh

55. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Carl– my thoughts exactly. What an opening line for the article– expect nothing. This is suppose to be friendly territory– the Vikings very own website and this trash is written on here. Is this the Eagles or Bears site in disguise? Purple is the new Green?

56. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

thanks shawn – but i am disapointed that CJ didn’t write a better story highlighting what a great accomplishment this is for Joe Webb.

57. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I have looked forward to Webb playing all year. I am going to enjoy tonight.

58. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

if Mr. Noodle aka spineless childress stayed with this team. The team would have ended the season at 3-13

59. By animal26 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

and T Jack is a spineless, gutless quitter, who had to be yelled at, to get his lazy butt on to the field. At least with Joe Webb, he gives you 110% effort with a never say die attitude, unlike T Jack aka T Joke.

60. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Joe might throw some picks and look like a rookie… but even Drew Brees made some dumb plays last night.

And Drew Brees certainly looked like a rookie in first start.

61. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

GO JOE!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

62. By PurpleParody on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know that Brees is the proper guy to compare to this year. He has the second most interceptions of all QBs behind Eli Manning. I for one would like our team to find a QB that doesn’t throturn the ball over. All the picks and fumbles from our QBs this year have made me nautious.

63. By PurpleParody on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Let’s compare Webb to Vick instead, since they have so many similar physical qualities anyways.

64. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I would still take Brees– with all his interceptions– his team will be first or second see in the NFC– not too bad.

65. By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

No one really knows what would have happened had Chilly stayed– we might be in the playoffs now.

66. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

@BRING CHILLY BACK NOW … no one cares, chilly sucks

67. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

An hour and 23 minutes– I have to make sure my digital converter is working right– this may take 23 minutes.

68. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

and though the record may look the same and he may not be coach next year , Frazier was still the best direction to go …. at least we got to see unlike Tomlin and Dungy ….

69. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

and whether its with us or another team I think Frazier will be a good coach , hard to judge a guy whos dealt with soooo many things most coaches dont deal with and on top of it all of his assistants are Chilly dogs

70. By PurpleParody on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – That’s kind of idiosyncratic, since Frazier himself is also a Chilly Dog.

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

NBC just devoted 7 minutes of their Nightly News broadcast to just how gutless the NFL was in rescheduling this game, including the Governor of Pennsylvania’s live comments. They asked, as I did on Sunday afternoon, what happens in Feb. 2014 at Giants Stadium if it snows?

72. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Roger Goodell is the next Bud Selig.

73. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

By PurpleParody on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Yes, to an extent … but if thats all you got out of what i wrote, Im sorry

74. By Justin on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Brees has leadership and knows how to command the team. That’s a quarterback we need. Just look at the game against the Falcons. That’s the type of quarterback that many NFL teams would like to have. Webb is a long ways off from being that type. That said, Webb is probably going to struggle a bit, with a couple of good plays mixed in. However, I think we’re going to see quite a bit of Interceptions from both teams.

75. By PurpleParody on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Justin – I love your optimism, but from what I’ve seen out of our defensive backs over the years, I believe we will be lucky to see one INT in favor of the purple.

76. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care if we lose, just take Vick out horizontally.

77. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Jamarca Sanford will start at safety … its about time, and i know he has been injured most of the year

78. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Nova , I thought you were vicks #1 fan …

79. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

COME ON FELLAS!!! LET’S GET BEHIND OUR NEW STARTING QB!!! GO WEBB!!!

80. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Be nice, Nova. He said he was sorry.

81. By Dave on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I like this guy. He has something about him that makes me want watch. Maybe its the scrambling under pressure, e.g. could he be a modern Fran T.

82. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Dave, I agree with you. He has mobility, a strong arm, and if we give him time and experience, I think he has a lot of potential.

83. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

CJ- how does this sound? What to expect out of Vikings writers and other personel? NOT A WHOLE LOT.

84. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Are you ready for some football? GO VIKES!!!!!

85. By David Plowman on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I will have to eat my words and here goes. I did not think that Webb could perform with all the pressure the eagles bring on defense it is nice when the o0line gives the QB a few seconds to do some things and Webb performed very well. One game does not make a QB but he looked pretty good. Hats off to the vikings and to Webb. Job well done. If they would have played like that all year the vikings would be in a better place. Again great job.

2. Dec 28, 2010: What To Expect From Webb vs. The Eagles | Vikings Stop Blog