Webb Finesses Vikings To 17-7 Lead

Posted by cjsiewert on December 28, 2010 – 9:38 pm

Vikings rookie QB Joe Webb has given more evidence to his superior athletic abilities by weaving through the Eagles defense for a 9-yard “shake and bake” TD.

On the TD scramble, Webb rolled out to his right, couldn’t find an open receiver and made a quick sprint towards the front-right pylon. Just before reaching the goal line, Webb received a clear-out block from TE Jimmy Kleinsasser, opening the sidelines for the easy score.

Webb was perfect on the 7-play, 75-yard scoring drive, completing 3 of 3 passes for 20 yards with the 9-yard scrambling TD. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson jump-started the drive on consecutive runs of 18, 8 and 3 yards followed by an 11-yard reception on a screen pass from Webb.

Vikings WR Sidney Rice hauled in a 14-yard reception on the 5th play of the drive and was immediately hit by Eagles CB Asante Samuel. The hit was helmet-to-helmet contact, resulting in a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty.

Posted in CJ Siewert | 187 Comments »

187 Responses to “Webb Finesses Vikings To 17-7 Lead”

1. By Nebraska Viking on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Correction Mike… 24-14!!

Go Vikes!!! Webb looks good.

2. By steven on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

will rice be ok for next week?

3. By ozzinator on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Webb is our guy next year!
    `

4. By Carl K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Oh yea CJ now you like Joe Webb. Too late. you already told us not to expect much.

5. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JOE WEBB?

A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

FRAZIER AND WEBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By Bigfan1 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Fantastic game, the players performed great aside from the missed interceptions. Great game Vikes, congrats Joe Webb, you should be the next QB no question.

8. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

That was one quiet stadium! And Vick got hurt, too!

9. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

wow, I have to admit, I did not expect Webb to play that well. after not showing much poise in the pocket last week and looking very raw I didn’t expect him to handle the Eagles defense that well. nothing against him I just knew he hasn’t had much experience. I’m really happy for him. and is it just me or did the offensive line play pretty good? and is it just me or did the Eagles look like the Vikings have looked all season, lol. they had a ton of penalties and couldn’t protect their quarterback! great game by the defense, special teams, and the offense.

10. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

yeah, those dropped interceptions drove me crazy! only bad thing I can say about the game.

11. By MIke B on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Vikings. What a great win. Never give up. Love the effort.

12. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

MCNABB SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF FRAZIER WINS NEXT WEEK HES 4-2 AND SHOULD KEEP HIS JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. By mac on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

You have to acknowledge….Leslie Frazier is the right guy for the job!!!! great jon Les. mb

14. By Todd on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Joe!!! Knew you could do it!

15. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

The o-line did a good job tonight. I guess I should be happy about that, only instead I’m more p.o’d than ever. Where WAS this o-line when Favre was under centre?

16. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I think that was the best all around win by the team this season. a game NOBODY including me expected them to win away from home after being cooped up in a hotel for three days AND against a team that is going to the playoffs…the Bills game was pretty good but this was a huge win against a legitimate team. the defense looked A LOT better than last week.

17. By Paul on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Nice nice and nice!!!!!! Good win guys

18. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff, I know what you mean, lol. I was thinking the same thing. It looked like Joe was pretty comfortable back there and was able to scramble when he did get pressured. I was impressed by the o-line tonight with both pass protection and run blocking. also, the offense had very little penalties which is huge! they didn’t have too many third and longs.

19. By Scott on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

No audio on the live streaming press conference from Philly…ugh

20. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to our future QB…JOE WEBB!!

and CJ, bite me you lame piece……

21. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well now— where are all the naysayers that laughed when I said I have a feeling there is going to be an upset of the century tonight? Hmm? I said we would win and everyone was saying it would be a blowout and the Vikes would be demolished— there were too many variables that said otherwise. Why are those jokers called commentators in such shock?

22. By SmileyStar on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I knew Webb was awesome! But that was a perfect performance by him and the entire team! GO JOE!!

23. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

CJ– you cannot be a weatherman and change your forecast mid-way through the day. For example this is what CJ posted before the game:

Not a whole lot: that would be the answer to what we should expect from Vikings QB Joe Webb,

NOW, after the game:

24. By MTVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Good to finally see Webb get his shot. He did great. I see potential. All he needs is more experience. He could be amazing!! Excited for next week. Credit the D-coordinator for the blitzing! I don’t know where it was when we still had playoff hopes, but the past is the past. I just hope we’ve learned for next year!

25. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I CAN ONLY SAY ONE THING ABOUT WEBB, PETERSON, AN OUTSTANDING DEFENSE AND ALL THE VIKINGS:

26. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I think we have seen how Leslie can rally this club! I was so happy to see Joe look so professional. The O-line did give him time and the only weakness was our secondary again. They could have had so many and just dropped em’. Hope this will be a sign of things to come!!

27. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Awww, poor Vick. No MVP this year…

28. By Nebraska Viking on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Where were those blitzes all year?? we looked good!! lets beef up the backfield and o line, re sign Rice, greenway, edwards and longwell and tear it up next year!!!!!! go vikes!!!!!!!!!

29. By VikingsDx3 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

What an awesome game. Frazier for Head Coach, and Joe Webb for starting QB. To answer you Mr. Smiff, Joe can scramble with the best, something Favre hasn’t been able to adequately do for several years now. But that aside, this win was a completely euphoric dream compared to this previous nightmare of a season. Good job Vikings.

30. By Nebraska Viking on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus- chris collinsworth has always hated the vikings. hes a skinny washed up turd that and no one values his opinion. F U Collinsworth. Go vikes!

31. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

OUR DEFENSE WAS OUTSTANDING …

32. By JIMMY HOFFA on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!! They played like true warriors Tonight. I’m proud of them….

33. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus….? Are you….?

34. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I admit I didn’t think the Vikings would play this well after the way they looked the past two games. I thought the Vikings would have lost bad. will you forgive me? lol.

35. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

IT LOOKED LIKE FRAZIER CALLED ON HIS OLD COACH BUDDY RYAN …. BLITZING ON EVERY PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND NO MADEIU WILLIAMS MISSING TACKLES ON BIG PLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

and where was that defense all year, darn it? I was impressed with how well they were able to pressure and contain Vick. they sacked him 5 times I think and caused two fumbles and hit him several times. It seemed like the Eagles and Vikings switched places or something.

37. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Maybe, Steph. Freaky Tuesday indeed!

38. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

IF FRAZIER WINS NEXT WEEK HES 4-2 AND DESERVES THE HEAD COACHING POSITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

HECK EVEN … ASHER ALLEN … DESERVES AN ATTABOY!!!!!!!!!!!

40. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

EJ …. GREENWAY ….. AND WINFIELD RELENTLESS ON THOSE BLITZES!!!!!!!!!!

41. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

42. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Frank Walker had better get a whole lot more game time in the future!!

43. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

titus, I love how your “barooooo” goes off the page, lol.

44. By Robins on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

What a nice surprise! Shocked everyone! Our team is back! Frazier and Joe Webb, that is our future! That was so much fun!!!!! Celebrate Vikings!

45. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I thought they would play on fire for a couple reasons (of course, I knew in the world of reality it looked like we would get killed)
    One- the Vikings team still has a lot of talent– and this is the last chance to showcase that talent to a national audience against a premiere team– a win tonight was the only chance at redemption until September, 2011.
    Two, that talent wants to have Frazier as head coach– this win was needed.
    Third, sitting in a hotel as an athlete for three days at Chrlstmas away from your families– a lot of pent up anger and energy– I knew they were going to come out and play like mad men– ready to dominate.
    Fourth– Adrian Peterson– we are always a contender with a player like him.

46. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie, don’t talk to me like that, you are married, I may start Baroooing more.

47. By Josie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Defense was outstanding – I agree with everyone else who asked where was this O-line and defense all year.

What also made me feel pride was watching how happy Brett was for the team & Joe Webb when they would score. He ran right out onto the field one time to fist pump when Webb connected with Harvin on a long pass. To see Brett run down the sideline with both hands in the air when Webb ran for his TD – seemed like the torch had been passed and Brett was sincerely happy for Joe W & the guys.

48. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

true about Peterson Titus. he always gives the Vikings a better chance to win!
    you make some good points :)

49. By MTVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

wispurplehead- I agree. Walker was impressive. Hope we see it next week too!

50. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

BRETT WHO?

51. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Josie, I totally agree. It seems Brett was passing a torch in a way and was truly happy for Webb and the team. as much as I’m sure he wanted to be out there playing, he seemed engaged on the sidelines and was cheering his teammates on. I’m sure he remembers being that young inexperienced guy and saw a little of himself out there.

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

WOW, and Vick went off limping!!!!

53. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

With Brett getting behind Joe and showing the happiness, I am hoping that he will give consideration to becoming our QB coach! I don’t think he will want to walk away from the game and he would be a great mentor for Joe!!!

54. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well…our true fans……are back. Those of us who didn’t believe are back on board…this is so typical of MN fans.

55. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

As happy as I am for Webb, I can only wonder what Favre could’ve done behind this o-line, in this game and all season (smh). Pro Bowl numbers, I am sure. Still, I’m very pleased with Webb’s performance. I think we have found our qb for the future. Tjack he is definitely not. We may not need to draft a qb after all. Good luck in Arizona, McNabb.

56. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

HEY NOVA … VICK WAS IN A DOG FIGHT AND GOT BEAT … BETTER BURY HIM IN THE WOODS EH?

57. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

WHO IS THIS BRETT GUY YOU PEOPLE KEEP TALKING ABOUT?

58. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Josie, your post does clearly demonstrate to all the Brett haters how Brett is not egotistical– he is a team player and loves his teammates.
    Are you in Minnesota?

59. By CaribooBill on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus:
    Fifth – They will play for Joe Webb.

60. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, why bury him? Let the wolves have him, if they can digest him.

61. By MTVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree mr smiff. We do need to keep an eye out for a good backup. I hope that all of these rookie QBs are teaching those analysts that you don’t have to spend 3 years on the sidelines to learn this game at the pro level. You learn faster on the field.

62. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, Brett played lights out last year, so don’t trash him too much. ;) Webb does look real promising for next year though. koudos to him. and the entire team showed up, the looked like they did last year.

63. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

This is a great win and we should have faith in Webb..He needs experience.

64. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

By the way Sue, who didn’t have faith in Joe?

65. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Did you see post-game when Andrea asked Webb how he stayed so composed and Webb said as QB you have to stay composed for your teammates to let them know you can win. That kid is going to be the next Fran Tarkenton.

66. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Yea Steph … Favre is one of my favorites, just throwing some happy sarcasm in the mix …. and I wouldnt annoint Webb to soon but I do believe you can tell if a QB will be goo within 5 games and he had a solid game tonight … just managed it with some nice scrambles on lots of rollouts … he put the same move on the same guy like 3-5 times lol

67. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff, the answer is yes.

68. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

widespread …. CJ Siewart didnt have faith in Joe Webb

69. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

err last post meant for wispurp not widespread

70. By seviksfan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! look what happens when we get a QB that can move around and make plays. outstanding job tonight! im ordering a WEBB jersey tonight!

71. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Widespread? Sounds like peanut butter with a large lid.

72. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

@ Titus :D I suspected for a while now! But I didn’t want to out you! :D

73. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

well wispurplehead, I admit I didn’t know if Webb would be able to play as well as he did with the way the o-line was playing this season and the way he looked last game (partly because the o-line played bad and partly because he looked very raw and didn’t show much poise in the pocket). He surprised me because I thought he would take off running more, but he hung in the pocket longer and made some good throws. the offensive line played well for the most part and when Webb did get pressure he was able to make some moves. but look how Vick looked when he was under pressure. Vick usually can’t be contained. if the defensive line for the Eagles played the way the Vikings defensive line played, I don’t think Webb would have played as well and understandably so. Vick was harassed all night long.

74. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Titus, got it. :) I figured you were just playin, lol.

75. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

The guys that write the blogs are not exactly what I would consider a creditable source…LOL! I think the fans were in Joe’s corner…at least those that I have had contact with. and how did you get widespread out of my handle…LOL!!

76. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

sometimes i spead read first time through and i occasionally mess up lol

77. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Steph, I think the O-line did a good job tonite…not great, but good. Kinda think that they remember being new to the game and stepped it up for Joe. Now the real trick is going to be the Lions. Can we play like this evenings game two weeks in a row? I feel that with AP, Percy, and Rice in the mix….the answer is “oh yea”!! SKOL!!

78. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie? Playin? We have made these blogs into a chat room and sometimes its difficult to keep on track.

79. By mr smiff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well, in the spirit of Titus’s alter ego, given what has happened tonight, I’m going to say something controversial. FAVRE AS BACKUP IN 2011!!!

80. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Got ya covered Shawn…LOL!!

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

If we can beat the Eagles in Philly, we can beat the Lions.

82. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

oh, sorry Titus, I was talking about the comment when you said “Brett who?” and I told you not to trash Brett too much, lol. I know it’s hard to keep track of the different comments.

83. By seviksfan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb looked like a kid in a candy store after the game . ;)

84. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

No way “mr smiff”! Give him(Brett) a good salary and keep him on as Joe’s tutor! Maybe we can get Sage back for our backup. I see Webb being a real asset going into next year and with proper coaching…look out!

85. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Steph, Merry Chr1stmas! Has your sister confessed yet?

86. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Nova, I’m thinking they have a good chance of beating the Lions. although the Lions have played well the last three games and have won them all and they’re at home. and the Vikings have a very short week. but I do think they’ll make a game of it. regardless of what happens I’m thinking Webb is the QB next year and Frazier should stay too.

87. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I saw that too….Joe is going to have that smile chiseled off his face…LOL!

88. By MTVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are not the Lions of last year. They have been IN almost every game they played this year. We’ll need to play well (like Tonight). Favre as backup….lol…rfl

89. By Spence on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

this win makes me upset- if brett could have played like webb the whole season and the defence played like they did this game the whole season. we should still be playing into the post-season. but it is what it is, skol vikings-lets get this w next week against the lions

90. By seviksfan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

@ mr smiff dont give brett any ideas

91. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Listening to the post game interview with Winfield and hearing him talk about Leslie and the relationship he has with the players….Zygi would have to be out of his mind to not give the helm to him for at least one complete season. Am pretty sure that Zygi is not out of his mind either!

92. By Tim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

i thought joe webb looked great he really took charge and led the vikings to a huge win and thats an understatement

93. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

sorry Nova, I tried to reply to you and it didn’t post what I wrote…

94. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

That’s okay Steph, these comments fly up here like a train, and sometimes you think you are on one car, but you really are on the cabooze.
    By the way, I never said those comments about Favre, that was a different blogger.

95. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Just leave out the dirty stuff, Steph!

96. By wispurplehead on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

The only thing Spence, if we hadn’t played like we did in the beginning of the season, the “chilly clown” wouldn’t have been ushered out of the Cities! This season has provided a platform for next year. With a few key pickups and retaining the key players…next year will be another season to remember!

97. By Tim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

adrian peterson was dynomite kevin williams was a sleeping giant the entire team played great football.

98. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I have mixed thoughts on the Detroit game– the national stage is gone, the season is truly over and the players did win two road games with Frazier– so the head coaching job may be his– on the other hand, you have players like Peterson, Allen, Winfield, etc that never stop and the taste of victory is good– they may play very well. If they win, Frazier is probably a sure thing for next season.

99. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

sorry for the confusion Titus. I know, these blogs can be confusing sometimes! Nova…too funny!! I laughed out loud at your comment. you know I was trying to leave the dirty stuff out, but I guess I didn’t do a good enough job, lol.

100. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

SO, I guarantee a win in Detroit.

101. By seviksfan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

:( no webb jersy avalible YET!!!!!!

102. By Tim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

it seems like webb used every one of the vikings big offensive players in one way or another

103. By Titus on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well, time to read before bed– I like inspirational and motivational material in my mind when I sleep– what a difference a great win makes– the blog is joyous and bubbling over tonight with good will. Where are the Old Schools that say we will be at the bottom of the NFC north for the next five years?

Where’s Frederick Jones?

104. By Tim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

thats some leadership

105. By Shawn on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

IF FRAZIER WINS NEXT WEEK , HE WILL FINISH 4-2 WITH 3 ROAD WINS AND ONLY 1 TRUE HOME GAME, NUMEROUS INJURIES …

HE HAS TO BE COACH NEXT YEAR … AND PARCELLS BETTER NOT MESS WITH IT!!!!

106. By Stephanie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

wispurplehead, you have a good point. I would much rather have Frazier as headcoach than Childress, so in a weird way this year could be good for the future! and Webb got his shot at the end of the season (and we were shown again that Tjack is not the answer, although I feel bad for him). I don’t think Webb could have played well at the beginning of the season either. He’s got some experience watching Brett and learning the offense…and at least tonight the o-line played better and there were hardly any penalties which have also killed us all season.

107. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

199th pick …. tom brady

199th pick …. JOE WEBB!!!!!!!!!!!

108. By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

You never know– had chilly stayed we may have won all the recent games– we might be in the playoffs right now.

109. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

It’s not a bad idea people. It’s not like Favre has regressed or anything. We all know why he has struggled this season. It’s not all his fault. He deserves a chance to make it right. And it can be a very good thing for Webb to have a competitor like Favre waiting in the wings. And Frazier has already said Favre will start against the Lions once he is cleared to play. He will not be averse to having Favre back. This could work, people!

110. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

“bring chilly back now”…the players didn’t seem to respect him and I don’t think Childress dealt with the players well. this has stemmed back to when he first came here, so I think it’s much better that Frazier is the coach and I really like how he handles himself and the players.

111. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

What is all the commentators cr-ap about how sluggish and poorly the Eagles played? Can we give some credit to a defense that outplayed and pounded them all game long? And an offense that got a rhythm going? No respect.

112. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie, your football knowledge is exceeded only by your beauty! YOU AND EVERY VIKE FAN, GOTTA GO FOR A FEW DAYS>>>>>>>>>HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!

113. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

@By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW …..

AAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

114. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Exactly Steph, but I don’t feel bad for t-joke. He had his chance and last year when Sage was hanging on every word Brett said and went over the in-game photos on the bench with him, t-joke was no where to be found. The guy acted like he knew just as much as Brett, and wow did he fall flat. The clown just about took our “all-star” out for the season cuz he could not get out of the freaking way on a simple handoff. Good riddance to both t-joke and his enabler.

115. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff– it would be great — but Favre would have to be willing to be benched if his play is erratic or if he has any injury– if used correctly, it could work– except one glitch– how much money would Favre take from our payroll?

116. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe that you even typed those comments “chilly back”. But this country has free speech! If your just trying to stir the pot…well done. If you are serious…I want some of what your smoking!!!!!

117. By Coach Childress on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

OK well we still have a lot of football left, and everything else is conjecture working backwards.

118. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

goodnight Nova!

119. By BRING CHILLY BACK NOW on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Who is this impostor? We will right this ship any week. The guys played their hearts out today and I think it showed. Oops, I am not coach anymore? Well, I had a nice front row seat behind my good friend Andy Reid.

120. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Have a great “New Year” Nova! and will chat later.

121. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Oh good, now I have Stephanie’s full attention.

122. By vikeforlife on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congrats on a great team effort. I think we have our own Joe Cool. On this national stage playing against Vick and this high powered team on their turf – we looked like they usually look. Joe, you are the man!!!! This was one of the funnest games all year.

123. By JIMMY HOFFA on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

@ Wispurplehead,I LOL at your T-Joke comment! Very funny.

124. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff, Brett would only want to come back if he was the starter and he knows he shouldn’t come back next year. He’s got a lot of pride of always being a starter (I would if I were him too). but his body can’t handle anymore beatings after 20 years and being 41 years old. He seemed at peace tonight watching Webb play well and was encouraging him and the team on the sidelines. He seemed engaged and having fun on the sidelines. It’s clear he loves his teammates though and it’s too bad he doesn’t want to coach, at least not now.

125. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

lol Titus, you have my full attention, although it’s getting late!

126. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I know– I need to go to bed– I am still like a child— I never want to go to bed.

127. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Steph … i think you said it … give Favre 5 – 10 years on the couch and if someone calls him he may change his tune about being back in the locker room and coaching

128. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wispurple…you’re right about Tjack, he did have his chance several times. I’m just one of those weird people that feels bad for others easily, lol. one things for sure, Webb made the most of his first NFL start.

129. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I think Brett would be okay not being a starter if he knew he could start an occasional game and be guaranteed to play in the playoffs– if he knew there was a chance at another ring- why not– I would. And not get beat up every game?

130. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks “Jimmy”…I call em’ like I sees em’!

And now Steph you’re going to throw me “under a bus”….I’m hurt..LOL!!

131. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I don’t really think it will cost that much. Let’s not forget, Favre never asked for the extra 7 mill, and at one point, he was willing to walk away from the 13 left on his contract. And the plan was to have Favre be the BACKUP qb, the one coming off the bench. Besides, he has already shown a willingness to sit out a game or two- hence Webb’s coming out party tonight. This could be a very good situation for them both. Question is, will Favre go for it?

132. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie, I feel bad for T-Jack too, but more so for the fact that he did not prepare for the opportunity he had given to him– that is what we all face in life– regrets and it is horrible, but it was his choice– he had the chance to learn from the best, but like someone posted here– Sage was sitting with Brett and T-Jack was off somewhere, maybe looking for the orange gatorade because he didn’t like the lemon-lime– I don’t blame him, I can’t stand that flavor.

133. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

true Shawn, I find it hard to believe that Favre will be a commentator someday, but he may after several years want to get involved in football again and you know how he changes his mind, lol. so maybe he’ll want to coach at some level. I know he’ll miss the comraderie of teammates.

134. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff– I have an idea!!

135. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Where I am not ready for Brett to play again, I could compromise and sign him as a player-coach. I think he could really do Joe a LOT of good. Have us pick up a REAL back-up QB and Brett could be the third string “IF NEEDED”!!

136. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I know what it is like to be a boss and how it is to be a part of a team that is under a boss– I get a sense of why Favre does not want to coach– he does not want to be ruling in that way– he wants to be a leader on an equal level with his teammates– I don’t think he will ever coach.

137. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

lol orange is the best …. and I also hate when it time to lay off but AS CHILLY WOULD SAY ITS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM BOTH IN THE SHORT TERM AND THE LONG TERM

138. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff- I have an idea to get Brett back.

139. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus….your first one in 2010?

140. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

lol Titus! yeah, that’s true that Sage was by Brett on the sidelines quite a bit last year and Tjack was rarely seen studying on the sidelines. Brett was constantly on the sidelines going over plays and Webb was there with him quite a bit this season.

141. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I like the fruit punch and grape a lot– I carry them in powder sticks when I ride.

142. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Nova, you see Stephanie and I exchanging glances and you just had to come back, didn’t you?

143. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

We need to keep Webb– Favre as backup and draft a rookie to develop.

144. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus, you make too much sense! lol. yeah, I don’t see Brett wanting to be in charge of all the players, he wants to be there with them in the trenches fighting along side them. not telling them what to do.

145. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Yea Steph … i took it up to 10 years because he will be in the Hall of Fame in five …. hes just loves football to much not to be involved, and I think media has to much corporate do what your told involved … AND THATS NOT BRETT

146. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie, I know Brett is wishy-washy on decisions, but I can almost guarantee he will never be an NFL coach at any level.

147. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, I know what you mean! Brett having a schedule AND having to wear a suit! lol. I don’t see him being involved in the media. TITUS…LOL. Nova might have to watch out for you ;)

148. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Apparently Sonja is on “Chr1stmas hours” now, so I have to let her out. Oh well, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

149. By Dustin on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Any chance of Speilman getting the general manager job next year or will it go to Frazier(or whoever would be the next head coach)?

150. By wispurplehead on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Well all….tonites game is going to give us lots to chat about this week, but alas, I must get my bottom to bed….darn work thing….LOL!! SKOL>>>>>

151. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I agree. I am 95% sure Brett will never coach. although he does like helping out the highschool kids so maybe he’d coach at that level? but not in the nfl.

152. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree Shawn– I cannot see him sitting beside a Colon worth and hashing out about the game– Brett does not like to speak fast enough to cover a live game— he would be um, yeah, well, time will tell, I really like these guys, but then again, I think ….. and play after play would not be called– then again, maybe we would like that.

153. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

well, I should head to bed. it’s been great chatting with everyone!

154. By fred smith on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

last week Fraser gave Webb a total vote of no confidants replacing him with a near cripple this week gave hims the start. what a difference !!!

155. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

@DUSTIN … there have been Bill Parcells rumors floating around, Jersey connection with the Wilfs

156. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

lol Brett barely did what the coaches told him

157. By xvike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Great effort by everyone today! This is probably the best win for the vikings this year. To beat a playoff team when there isn’t much to play for anymore, that gives us fans a lot of hope for next season. They players did a great job both offensively and defensively. But my hat is off to coach Frazier. To get this team fired up and prepared both mentally and physically for this game after putting up very poor performances the last 2 weeks is just unbelievable! Now that’s what a good coach does! No matter how bad the situation is, a good coach never gives up and never lets the negatives get to his players. The defense finally appears to be back to its old dominant self and the offense is getting there. I really expected the vikings to get a very bad beating. Shame on me. Great win for everyone. Especially a great win for coach Frazier!

158. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus, that’s so true! Brett likes to take his time explaining things and pauses often to make sure he’s saying the right thing. I think the things he says so often get blown out of proportion that he tries to cover all his bases, lol. so he wouldn’t be a good commentator. this might sound funny, but I think Brett is more of a loner and likes to keep to himself except when it comes to his teammates and joking around with them. I don’t see him wanting to be on TV at a desk every week.

159. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Fred Smith– you are twisting reality with your spin on the context and content of what ACTUALLY happened. Favre has always been the number one starting QB and it looked like his injury kept him from playing– Webb was going in, and then Favre felt better-the starter goes in. You have a movie or play– you have a major star get sick, the understudy prepares, the night of the performance the major star feels better- you put the star on stage. No one is insulted– this is not kindergarten, it’s life.

160. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie, after all I have seen tonight, I now know that Frazier can will his players to do great things. He is still Favre’s biggest fan and the feeling is mutual. The Wilfs still like him too. Unlike Childress, I can see Frazier making all the right moves to strengthen the o-line and provide quality weapons for Favre in the offseason. I can see Frazier and Bevell going over plays with Favre and accepting imput and ideas from him. And unlike TJack, I can see Webb listening to Favre like a sponge. With Favre on the roster for 2011, there needn’t be a 5 year rebuilding process. We can be right back in the playoff mix.

161. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff I have an idea to bring Favre back!

162. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get a group together from these blogs and charter a plane….

163. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Fred Smith, Brett played pretty well last week until he got knocked out cold b/c the o-line played terrible. Joe Webb didn’t play great last week and neither did the o-line. Webb looked much better tonight and the o-line played much better. the whole team played better. hats off the Webb and the entire team.

164. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

When Titus asks Brett to come back, with Mr Smiff on his knees and hands in prayer, Nova extending a platter of prime rib, Sonja rolling on her back, Frederick Jones reciting scripture, and Stephanie with eyes of adoration, he won’t be able to say no.

165. By fred smith on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

farve has not earned the right to an automatic start this year

166. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff, you make some good points, but I just don’t see Brett coming back. but I’ve been wrong before, lol. I think Webb has learned a good deal from Brett and has the right attitude and the right skills to be successful.

167. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I think the Eagles also had no expectation that they were going to be playing the team that almost went to the Superbowl last year– they thought they were playing a 5-9 team with nothing to play for– they took us for granted.

168. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

LOL Titus! sounds like a great plan.

169. By Titus on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Whoa, it’s almost 1 am — time for me bed! Good night.

170. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

lol let the old man retire ….

171. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

alright, my husband wants me to get off the computer, lol. I told him I’m chatting with some friends :) I should probably get to bed though. this time I mean it! again, it’s been fun!

172. By Stephanie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

yes Shawn, we should let him go in peace instead of dragging him back for more, lol…goodnight!

173. By Shawn on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

good night everyone

174. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Eh, you may be right Stephanie. But Shawn, if the old man wants back in, we let him. Goodnight to you both.

175. By fred smith on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

hope Vik dose better in the playoffs he deserve some success having the deal with all the violent attack of unforgiving animal activists he has to deal with

176. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I’ve been praying for Favre for a while now. I guess one more wouldn’t hurt. :)

177. By VikingsDx3 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Call me crazy, but I get a sense that Favre could really live vicariously through Webb as his QB coach next year. Honestly, he could make use of Brett’s 20 years experience, knowhow, and play action. Seriously now, did you guys see how much his face lit up and hoisted his arms every time Joe kicked some eagle tail?

178. By mr smiff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I think Favre is now getting used to the idea of not having to answer the bell every time. Which makes the idea of him coming back in 2011 as a backup qb all the more feasible, if not likely. But that’s just me. Goodnight, all.

179. By PurpleParody on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wow, we have some interesting optimism about the return of Favre tonight. Does he love the game enough to return as a backup/mentor? It would be an interesting proposition, but we still need to find a solid player to put in the #2 QB spot and/or compete with Webb. The kid showed promise tonight, but we have to be realistic and give him time to develop into a starter.

180. By PurpleParody on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

On another note, this game (and the player endorsements afterward) gave me much more confidence in Frazier as our head coach. I still would like to see one more good outing against the Lions next week before I am completely sold on him. Don’t get me wrong, he’d probably be a good coach for us, but there is no reason to pull the trigger yet, especially with the rumors of Billick coming back to take over.

One other scenario that I think should solidify Frazier as our HC would be the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. It would say alot about the guy who was able to turn around a losing team enough to beat the eventual champions.

181. By Alex on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about Webb. But i still think that we are going to go and get a veteran QB to play as our starter next year. Get rid of Tavaris Jackson and give Webb second stringer. Let him run the wildcat offense. He still has a lot of growing up to do. If Favre is cleared to play on Sunday he will start. Coach Frazier said he will play if he is healthy. Well lets improve the secondary and get a wide receiver to take Berrians spot. Lets face it he sucks. Other then that we need to improve on our right tackle position. Loadholt isn’t doing very well. Other then that we have a good defense and lets keep it that way. So GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

182. By for4nomore on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Somebody tell me again why we spent $20M and 14 games wasting our time on a beat up old relic like Favre.

183. By PurpleParody on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

for4nomore – Drama sells. How much less crazy would this year have been without all the Favre nonsense? “Any publicity is good publicity,” and #4 has overloaded us with publicity.

Let’s just hope that the team gets back on track next year with young talent.

184. By Mr. Nooheadshots on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

HI,
    My wife and I did not like that hit on Simeon Rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone remember that hit?It kept Simeon out.
    Asante gets away with that head shot.

We don’t need to lose Simeon again. What if we would have been in contention for the Playoffs & there is Simeon on the sidelines unavailable?

Mr. Noheadshots

185. By Rick on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Shawn

Brett did not have a coach to even listen to until 5 weeks ago!

186. By how to gain weight on Jan 10, 2014 | Reply

This will create an environment within the body
    that that promotes muscle growth. Bats leave their summer homes and
    travel to spend winter months in caves or tree holes.
    Since it takes some time for your muscles to recover after a workout,
    you should make sure to give your body time to rest.

2. Dec 28, 2010: Webb Finesses Vikings To 17-7 Lead | Vikings Stop Blog