Henderson Should Be The Choice For Comeback Player Of The Year

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 24, 2010 – 9:13 am

The 2010 season is not what we expected it to be, with the Vikings sitting at 5-9 with 2 games to play after a sensational march to the NFC Championship Game just a year ago. But through all the disappointment and negativity this season, there have been a few rays of hope and inspiration.

The best example is LB E.J. Henderson, who is having another fine season after coming back from a severe leg injury suffered in Week 13 of the 2009 campaign. Henderson is 2nd on the team in tackles with 129 and he is tied with San Francisco’s Takeo Spikes for most INTs by a LB with 3. This is all after that leg injury in Arizona ended his 2009 season and had many thinking it would end his career.

Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks has an article on SI.com right now regarding this very subject – Henderson’s comeback season after breaking his femur last December. Banks is one of the 50 voters for the NFL’s postseason awards, and one of the awards is NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He does a nice job of breaking down the award – from its origin, to its definition, to the different ways of applying it.

“The question to wrestle with, as always,” Banks writes, “is what exactly constitutes a comeback? Does the award extend to cover a return from injury, or ineffectiveness, or irrelevancy, or as in Vick’s specific case, even incarceration? And was Vick already ‘back” last season in the most literal sense, and thus isn’t really staging a comeback in 2010, unless you consider him now fully back in comparison to the relative insignificance of his role last year in Philadelphia?”

Banks references Philadelphia QB Michael Vick, who is having an MVP-caliber season just a year or so removed from serving time stemming from a guilty plea to felony charges. The key here, though, is that Vick’s “comeback year” was 2009, when he came off of home confinement to join the Eagles. He played a small role in the offense in ’09 and this year of course has taken the league by storm and is one of the NFL’s top players.

As Banks says in his piece, a comeback is in the eye of the beholder. As such, Vick will likely receive votes not only for MVP but also for comeback player of the year. And he’s certainly earned those votes.

But given the severity of Henderson’s injury, the aggressive manner with which he rehabbed, the fact that no other NFL player has suffered and come back from this injury in the past, and the fact that Henderson is having one of his finer seasons in 8 years as a pro, I think Henderson is the choice for 2010 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

I’m hoping Banks and the 49 other voters feel the same way.

A few other candidates for this year’s comeback player of the year award: RBs LaDainian Tomlinson and Leon Washington, LB Brian Urlacher and WRs Wes Welker and Mike Williams

Tags:

55 Responses to “Henderson Should Be The Choice For Comeback Player Of The Year”

1. By DRS on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Good job LB, E.J. Henderson, nice to know there someone on the defense who wants to do their job. Thanks for the outstanding effort and devotion to you profession, and us fans.

2. By PurpleDiety on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

One also needs to note that Vick has come back from a self-induced situation. He chose to break the law. I am not sure we should celebrate quite yet his return– yes, it’s great if he has left the past behind and changed his thinking and ways. But a man’s heart is difficult to see, and I would venture the jury is still out on Vick. Give it a couple more years– if he has truly changed, we should know by then– if not, he will show signs– it is inevitable.
    Henderson, on the other hand, came back from a career-ending injury — a situation that he did not enter because of his choice or lack of character. Rather, it is exactly Henderson’s character of fight and resiliency coupled with perseverance that fueled his comeback. The vote should be obvious, if the choice is Vick or Henderson.

3. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

That last comment was my post– forgot to change my name.

4. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree EJ is the comeback player of the year because he got hurt last year and came back this year …. #1-this is Vicks second year back (so unless EJ could win the award in any year say 2084 then Vick has to be out of the running) and #2 – what purplediety said

5. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

maybe vick is most improved player of the year but NO WAY SHOULD HE BE “COMEBACK POY”

6. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, that was my post– PurpleDiety is one of my aliases. I had preferred to have it under my main username, which is Titus– I would like to keep my sane and intelligent comments in one place.

7. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

LOL

8. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

LOL. Where is Fred, Nova and all the gang?

9. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Probably still a little early

10. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Vick may be the most improved animal spokesman of the year …

11. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Vick could be the most improved dog owner of the year …

12. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I have no idea as to whether Vick has truly changed– I have my doubts, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt– we all goof up. Unfortunately, most people in his situation would be scarred for life by the pe-nal system and would have few, if any opportunities to even get back on their feet, let alone be a superstar making millions. The system is backwards. A felon gets out of jail and cannot rent an apartment, thus cannot have an address, and cannot get a decent job– etc, and do you think that felon has any chance of changing? We do have to be willing to give a second chance. Vick got a big one– I hope he has learned from it, and I hope he does good with his life and money– not just score points on the field. Okay, my two cents to prove PurpleDiety and Titus originate from the same brain.

13. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I HATE OUR SYSTEM … I think Norway has it right 7 and 1/2 years is the max penalty you can get … people change over time, and I know I am not the same as i was 8 years ago and even 8 years befor that …

I got a dui for sleeping in my car , trying to be responsible … but for a cop i was just an easy arrest and i was 100% coperative and honest and got the max for a first time dui … it was august in vegas i had the A/C on so technically i broke the law

I WILL NEVER TALK TO A COP AGAIN … EVEN IF HES MY NEIGHBOR

14. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

WE HAVE A SYSTEM THAT PUTS POT HEADS IN PRISON … WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY

WE MUST BE THE MOST JUDGEMENTAL / HYPOCRITICAL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

15. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I hear you Shawn— like I said under another post– they take the path of least resistance and there is no common sense applied. But to be fair to the cop– he had no idea to know whether you would drive — after all, you were in your car and had drank too much. For all the cop knew, you had already driven in that condition or you might wake up and drive. I try to see both sides. How did he know you were being honest?
    They are just cogs in the system.

16. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

sorry titus seems everytime our ” justice ” system is mentioned i get so ANGRY … because it has nothing to do with JUSTICE … ITS JUST A MONEY MAKING CORPORATION , like everything else

17. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

1st time DUI max …. 90 days suspended liscense, $2,000 dollar fine, 96 hours of community service, 2 clas’ses

ticket for leaving the scene of an accident $500 ….

guess if it happens again I will get home … one way or another

18. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

way to protect and serve you scu’mbag cop …

19. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I have stories I could tell, too Shawn. I know what you are talking about. I am just not sure I want to put them out in cyberspace.

20. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

i hear ya titus maybe next season we can catch a game and have a beer somewhere

21. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

anyway ill be back later going to do some stuff and calm down lol

22. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Sounds good– we could have a blog party– everyone from Fred to Nova to Old School could come for a game. Only no altercations allowed.

23. By phil on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WTF THE VIKINGS ARE DOING NEXT YEAR FOR A QB.
    ARE THEY DRAFTING A FIRST ROUNDER?
    ARE THEY SIGNING SOMEONE?
    OR IS IT WEBB?
    WTF IS GOING ON, CAN ANYONE ANSWER MY QUESTION?

24. By Shawn on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

@phil … luckily the vikings have a psychic on the staff and they have decided to draft Timmy Thompson … from a High School in Montana as a freshman he already zips the ball 45 yards … and showed such intelligence he skipped the 7th grade. They heve also been talking to Joe Montana, it seems that those shape ups might be the fountain of youth. Montana will start until Timmy is ready to take over ….

Sounds like we should be good at QB for the next 30 years …

25. By MNvike1985 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Phil, I am sure you are not still on…but I believe that we will pick up a free agent. Maybe McNabb or Kolb. We will have a high draft pick, but we need a veteran to mentor a rook.

26. By Arrow86 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Phil: No one know for sure WTF the Vikings will do, but remain calm. They need to stabilize the O-line first. They’ll find someone. We as fans need to be patient. A lot of changes may go on at Winter Park this off season. I would be more concerned if there were few changes. Keep the faith, a child was born in a manger, and he’s a really good quarterback!

27. By Arrow86 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Titus- Why don’t I get an invite to your blog party?

28. By Arrow86 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

To regulars: Old School, Frederick Jones, Nova and Sonja, Stephanie, Ricefield, Titus-BS&S-Purple diety-Donna Summer, Shawn, and Sue G. Happy holidays. May the blessings of good heath and prosperity find you in 2011! To all others: Keep the faith that calm heads, and good math will find a new home in Minnesota for our Vikings. That the team has a healthy 2011 season that is filled with exciting wins and suprise performers. Above all, agree or disagree we continue to love the purple and gold of the Minnesota Vikings!

29. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Why am I not posting

30. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Arrow86, Happy Holidays to you as well. I have been trying to post for an hour and for some reason it wasn’t posting. Have a great weekend and I hope Brett is cleared to play on Sunday.

31. By Arrow86 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Sue: I know there are some who feel Favre is only playing because of his ego. I disagree, and even if he is, he’s the only guy on the roster who understands enough of the playbook to make our offense look at all professional, even in his diminished physical state. Above all, we all agree that concussions are serious, and that he does not suffer long term effects from his evening at TCF Bank Field. I wonder what Brett will give McKinnie for x- mas?

32. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

To Everyone on this blog:
    I wish you the best of the holiday season and help us GOD we have a better 2011. I have thouroughly enjoyed our conversations during the season. I widh us all the best for the upcoming year!!!!

33. By Arrow86 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Out of respect to E.J. Henderson my Aunt had a similar injury from an accident over the summer. She is still rehabbing, and is just grateful to be able to now walk. Granted, she’s in her 70’s, but it was a very painful and difficult injury for E.J. and my Aunt to recover from. It is an amazing testament to E.J.’s perseverence.

34. By Titus on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Arrow– all our welcome– I said everyone.

35. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Arrrow86, I totally agree with you. Brett is not egotistical..he is driven. He is miligned in the press. They wouldn’t give him as much press if he wasn’t “Brett” Did U C that opening drive aginst the Bears?

36. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

I am not so certain that Brett is ego-less, but I think with his level of play, a little ego is okay, and actually has helped him attain a higher level than his peers.

37. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Titus, I agree with you…he is totally ego driven…but he is driven…He lives for footballl.

38. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Brett clearly cares about his teammates, so to take his ego to the next level, and imply he does everything for his own career stats (egotistical) is probably hype from the media– has he ever let his fame get to him? I am sure– it would and does happen to most everyone. Anyway, this may be his last season. Too bad it went sour, but we may pull off a miracle Sunday.

39. By Arrow86 on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks TItus: I had a great holiday, but your inviting me to your blog party was the best gift ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Titus, From your mouth to God’s ear. I KNOW that this is Brett’s last year. I would love to end it on a high note. May 2011 be a better year for all !!!!

41. By mr smiff on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY!!!!

42. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Merry Chri-stmas Mr Smiff and everyone!

43. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Arrow, somehow that sounds a little facetious.

44. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Do you want an odd laugh? I say odd, because the Eagles website has a strange animation to open their site— turn up your speakers. Andy Claus is coming to town.

45. By TW VIKE on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Merry X-mas to all !!!!! Tomorrow is my B-Day and all I want is for the Vikings to kick some Philly BUTT !!!!!!!

46. By Titus on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Happy Birthday TW!!!!!!

47. By Just The Facts on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

I normally disagree with most of you, but we do agree on one thing this weekend. Let’s pray that Farve plays and finishes the game. Obviously we’ll still lose, because Farve has a 60 QB rating against teams with a winning record, but more importantly this forces Frazier to take responsibility and not for him to try and place the blame on T-Jack or Joe.

Amazing how much worse Frazier is compared to Chilly. Not only is he inferior in tactics, but he can’t even motivate the players. If anyone saw the Cowboys and Cardinals tonight, you realize just how much a “good” coach can motivate players even though their teams are out of the playoffs.

FIRE FRAZIER!

48. By PurpleDiety on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Just the facts that you choose. Facts are temporal, pal. There are more substantive truths that override your petty logic.

49. By Mike on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

yea its good to see henderson doing well (statically and physcially) but this is Vick’s award or maybe LT. but Henderson definatley deserves reconition

50. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

Vick is the underDOG.

51. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

I think we are going to get smoked tomorrow, all I want for Xmas is Jared Allen knocking Michael Vick into next week.

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

Or Ray Edwards………..or anyone…KKKKKKKKIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

53. By TonyO on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

EJ Henderson has been one of the few bright spots this season. He plays with intensity and passion. EJ deserves to be comeback POY AND a trip to the Pro-Bowl game. Way to go Mr. Henderson !

54. By 12timeworld champs on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Henderson as comeback player of the year. I don’t think so.

2. Dec 24, 2010: Henderson Should Be The Choice For Comeback Player Of The Year | Vikings Stop Blog