Setting The Table For The Philadelphia Eagles

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 22, 2010 – 8:16 am

There’s probably not a whole lot I can tell you that you don’t already know about the Vikings next opponent – the Philadelphia Eagles. At 10-4 and currently the leaders in the NFC East, the Eagles have been one of the NFL’s highest-profile teams in 2010 and it’s largely because of their QB – likely the 2010 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Michael Vick has taken the NFL by storm once again. He was a sensational player for the Atlanta Falcons from 2001-06, then pleaded guilty to federal felony charges and served 21 months in prison (plus 2 months of home confinement), made it back to the NFL in 2009 and now is one of the game’s top stars.

Vick entered the 2010 season as a backup to Kevin Kolb. But an injury to Kolb in Week 1 opened the door for Vick and he’s taken advantage of the opportunity. He is a legitimate MVP candidate – my vote would go to Tom Brady right now – and it’s because he’s a lethal threat as a passer and a runner. Vick is 3rd in the NFL with a 103.6 passer rating, has a clean 20-5 TD/INT ratio and is completing 63.2% of his passes. And yet at the same time he’s averaging over 6 yards per carry and has 8 rushing TDs. His ability to avoid sacks, break the pocket and pickup yards on the ground makes him nearly unstoppable.

Philadelphia’s offense ranks #1 in the NFL overall (403.9 yards per game) and #2 in scoring (29.4 points per game), behind only the New England Patriots. Coincidentally, the Eagles come into this weekend’s game with the exact same points per game average that the Vikings had in 2009.

Aside from Vick, Philadelphia’s offense is explosive because of a dangerous WR tandem comprised of DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. It was Jackson, Maclin and Vick who keyed Philadelphia’s comeback win last week in New York, as the trio combined to score the final 21 points in the game. The Eagles trailed 31-10 with 8:17 to play, but then went on a 28-point scoring binge and won the game when Jackson returned a punt 65 yards for a TD as time expired.

Together, Jackson and Maclin have 16 receiving TDs and over 100 receptions. Maclin has more receptions and TDs, but Jackson has more receiving yards and is the bigger down-field threat, along with being an exceptional punt returner. Also, don’ sleep on RB LeSean McCoy. He’s thrived as the Eagles full-time starting RB in 2010. He has a 5.3 per-carry average, 7 rushing TDs (9 total TDs) and 7 carries of 20 yards or more. McCoy is the prototypical dual-threat RB because he’s reliable as a runner and productive as a pass receiver, with a team-leading 74 receptions.

Defensively, the Eagles aren’t as sensational, ranking 13th overall and 21st in scoring defense. Injuries have been a factor for head coach Andy Reid’s defense, but the group is gutty and frequently comes up with a big play when it’s needed. The big playmakers are DE Trent Cole (9.0 sacks), CB Asante Samuel (7 INTs) and S Quintin Mikell (leading tackler). But there is a host of other players, such as OLB and former Detroit Lion Ernie Sims and CB Dimitri Patterson, who can step up at a given time and make a key play.

As I mentioned, injuries have taken their toll on the Eagles defense. LB Stewart Bradley is out for a bit with a dislocated elbow and just recently Philadelphia lost starting safety Nate Allen. But Reid as done such a nice job building his club that there is enough talent on the roster to make up for these losses.

A few other quick notes on the Eagles…
— Philadelphia is +14 in turnover ratio, which is tied for 2nd in the NFL. The Vikings are dead last in turnover margin at -32.
— The Eagles are surprisingly mediocre in 3rd downs, which is a key NFL stat. The offense ranks 12th with a 41.2% conversion rate and the defense ranks 16th and yields a 1st down 38.3% of the time.
— McCoy leads a rushing attack that is the 4th-most productive in the NFL, averaging 149.7 yards per game.
— The Eagles have won 3 games in a row and can clinch a division title with a win against the Vikings.

45 Responses to “Setting The Table For The Philadelphia Eagles”

1. By SmileyStar on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

What’s that Vick, you’re going to run? Oh, we have a QB that can run too and probably better than you!! Go JOE!!

2. By GOLDVIKE on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

GO JOE THE VIKING!!!!

3. By jwmowan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

The Vikingis certainly have their work cut out for them this coming weekend. Vick is having a great year and the Eagles look great. With the year that the Vikings are having, don’t be surprised if they come up with a great game, also. That is if the “old man” finally decides to stay on the bench.

4. By B-Pro on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Joe should watch Vick this weekend he might learn something.

5. By Justin on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

It quite simply doesn’t matter if the Eagles defense is banged up or not that great. Our Offense and Secondary are so bad that the Eagles will take advantage of it and run the ball up and down the field with little effort. Our guys will have trouble stopping guys like Maclin from owning the Vikings. The scary part is that the last 3 blowouts against the Packers, Giants, and Bears could be nothing compared with what the final score may be in Phili. I fear that the Eagles could score more then 40 points for sure.

6. By B-Pro on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Justin, I agree, this can get ugly this weekend. Also Phila has alot to play for like the #2 seed. I think they will win out and I don’t see the bears winning out knowing they play the Jets this weekend and Packers next. The Packer/Bears game could determine whether the Pack get a wildcard. The weather is going to be a factor this weekend, favor Phila. I’m not sure what we will get from Peterson this weekend knowing even if he plays he’s not 100%. Phila just has to many weapons on offense.

7. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE PROOF YOUR ARTICLES MIKE– Many times I have kept quiet– I understand all too well the business of writing; however, this is ridiculous. I catch your errors immediately, and today, this one just makes my head shake in disbelief. How can the Eagles be 10-6?

8. By Mike Wobschall on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the heads up Titus. Fixed it.

9. By Philip on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I believe we neeeeeeeeed to pick up mcnabb maybe he ant doing well with redskins but they dont have the recievers and backs like us he could make us a playoff team next year

10. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Mike– sorry to get agitated– I am a writer, so I cannot help myself.

11. By vikes blogger on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

what were the positives of the Vikings big loss at TCF Bank, read my blog and find out

12. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Phillip, It would be nice to have McNabb, but our payroll is out of wack.

That’s yet another reason why I think the Vikings need to concentrate on obtaining offensive linemen during the off season.

13. By for4nomore on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I just heard that Favre might come back next year!!!! Our franchise is saved. NOT!!! CUNLA(see you in LA)

14. By Arthur on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

“He is a legitimate MVP candidate – my vote would go to Tom Brady right now – and it’s because he’s a lethal threat as a passer and a runner.”

Mike, not sure this sentence makes complete sense (unless you add “although” before “my vote would go to Tom Brady right now”.

15. By Justin on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I rather tired of people saying “see you in LA” or any variation of it. The legislature isn’t ready right now to discuss the stadium issue and most likely won’t until later in the session (perhaps April?). Guys like for4nomore should shut their mouths instead of saying the same rhetoric.

16. By lori on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m a loyal vikes fan and I say LET’S GO JOE…….

17. By Justin on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

*I’m*

18. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Justin,

Yeah but the Vikings could pull up stakes and move anytime after the season.

I don’t think they will, but nothing should surprise us when it comes to the NFL:

(Which stands for Not For Long when you have that kind of OFFENSIVE LINE).

19. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Our OFFENSIVE LINE was average when we had Herrara and Hutchinson.

But there is no depth, and age is beginning to creep in on us.

The Vikings Offensive Line is “Offensive”

20. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

We need 5 good offensive linemen plus 3 very good reserves.

21. By Robins on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I hope Joe gets some good experience this weekend. Please study Vicks games and try to copy him. He is a great player and hopefully you will be soon. Defense, you know what to do. Show up and play hard. And offense..protect your quarterback so he can stay in the game and play hard for you. Brett tried but you didn’t do your job and he was clobbered. Just win!

22. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

If that happens 8-8 or even 9-7 could happen next year.

Then we could fill in the blanks (db, dl, qb) and perhaps win the SB in the next 5 years with Leslie Frazier as HC.

23. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Robins, I guess ITS ALL GOOD.

We need an offensive line for Joe to excel.

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, the Rivers dude…

NONE could get to even 85 on the QB rating scale with the Vikings.

24. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

RB RB
    Q
    ______WR :) :) :) :) :) TE WR______

25. By Frederick Jones on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Anyhoo…

Gotta, ya jus gotta get good Offensive linemen next year!

26. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Who said Favre might come back next year? Because if you listen closely, you hear Frazier gave us a clue that might happen too. In Frazier’s press conference, he said– Favre knew this could be his last home game– or maybe for the last time– maybe — there was not a certainty about it. Hm. Sometimes it’s a mistake to push fate.

27. By steve o on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

why would you want frazier back…… if all he is going to do is same ole same ole…….why not try some new offensive plays or defensive stunts….. not like it will matter this season anyway……… try new …… not boring

28. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I think when we beat the Eagles on Sunday, you will change your mind about Frazier.

29. By CaribooBill on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree that Vick is a very exciting player – who could argue with that? I can’t recall a SB winning QB with a similar style, however. Mobile, yes, like Elway, but not one so prone to taking off. Can anyone else think of one?

30. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb

31. By for4nomore on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

@ Titsag If #4 gives us the best chance to win this year why would next year be different?

32. By Titus on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

for4nomore– was that comment directed at me (your spelling was close, so I guess it was– funny)? I never said anything whether I want Favre back or whether he would help or hurt the team next year– my comment only was there was a hint by Frazier’s to back the other blogger’s contention Favre may return. Your post tells me you added words to my post from your mind– careful about doing that.

33. By David Plowman on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

The vikings have another thing to worry about this weekend when they play the eagles. It is Jackson. With the not so special special teams of the vikings Jackson will have a field day.

34. By for4nomore on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

This team needs to quit worring about Favre and start building a future, not living in the past.

35. By rick on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Our Vikings wont beat the Eagles on Sunday. We have lost our whole team. Non of them have any fight left, well they really never had any this year. Web is another Jackson, certainly no better, (no one open, lets run) maybe worse. Frazier
    I hope wont be the coach, lets clean house and bring in a coach that hasnt had 7 interviews with no job. Maybe its time the do move out of the cold north, being from Iowa its not hard to understand why Minnesota won’t build a new stadium. They are not much on progress. Who cares?

36. By CaribooBill on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Rick – I care. I think its a mistake to “clean house”. I understand, I think, your frustration with this season. Going from the high of last season to the debacle of this season would be hard for anyone to accept. IMO teams that change coaches too often don’t get anywhere. The most successful franchise, arguably, over the last 50 years are the Steelers. They don’t change coaches very much. I think Frasier can be the answer, given support, given good players and given good ownership, which the Wilfs seem to represent. If the Vikings ever leave Minnesota, they will have died as far as I am concerned.

37. By eaglesfan23 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I thought the Vikes would’ve picked up McNabb when Chilly was HC. It’s been no secret that Reid and Chilly still had connections. Now with McNabb having a hard time in DC, the possibility looms it’s head once again. At the very least, McNabb can come in and give Joe Webb a pointer or two over the next two seasons. If McNabb does go to MN, it will be interesting to see what soap opera develops there.

38. By 4eversteve on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

McNabb will either be in Arizona or Minnesota next season, I hope who ever gets him doesn’t give up to much, Washington is in a pickle right now an teams know to wait the skins out they will not want to carry McNabb’s contract next year. Shanahan may have dug his own grave with that move. I’m fairly sure that Dan Snyder is steaming over this move right about now!

39. By 4eversteve on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Buffalo, Washington, and Minnesota will all be looking to draft Andrew Luck this year. Shanahan is trying to put the skins in a position to steal him away , but right now the Bill’s hold all the cards. It definitely will be interesting what back door deals might take place before this years draft that might give an indication of what team will end up with Luck. Washington and Minnesota have the deepest pockets, but Buffalo still holding all the aces at this point.

40. By Stine Steen on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

As an Eagles fan, I am not overlooking the game with the Vikes. It’s going to be a tough, but of course I wish for my Eagles to come out on top. Can’t wait until Sunday night. Good luck to an injury free game.

41. By Vikesfan68 on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Well this year has been a difficult one. Injuries are a common issue with the game but the idea that 1 brett would have a year he did in 09 was bad assumption those season may come along just once in a career. I have to admit that i never saw the debackle (sp) of the vikings to where they appear to just be riding out remainder of season and packing up the old u-haul in preperation of next season. Offensive line has got to be a priority as well as a Def. backfield, Teams have been exploiting that for few years now, unable to cover my grandmother at times. Viking fan for nearly 30+ years now and dont think i have seen a team in as much disarray as well maybe days of Les Steckle lol.

42. By mr smiff on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

We will never know what kind of year Favre could have had, thanks to this cr@ppy o-line and Rice being out for so long. I hope Webb has a good game.

43. By new england patriots on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

The recent success by the triumvirate of Jason Kidd,
    Richard Jefferson, and Vince Carter had done nothing
    to change my perception. He not only played the wide receiver position, he was also put towards returning punts and kickoffs.
    This produced it popular within the realm of fighting.

2. Dec 22, 2010: Setting The Table For The Philadelphia Eagles | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Dec 22, 2010: Vikings Blog