Vikings Will Conduct Walk-Through At TCF Bank Stadium Today

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 19, 2010 – 9:16 am

The Vikings will hold their weekly walk-through today and they’ll conduct the exercise at TCF Bank Stadium, giving coaches and players their first look at the venue that will host Monday night’s game between Minnesota and Chicago. We’ll be sure to get thoughts from players and Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier.

Snow removal was a huge part of getting TCF Bank Stadium ready to host Monday night’s game. Here are a few interesting facts regarding how much snow was removed from the stadium over the last week or so.

– The amount of snow cleared would fill the field with snow 20 feet deep.
— 40,000 cubic yards of snow were removed.
— If you were to put the snow on a normal city sidewalk, it would be 3 feet deep for 65 miles.
— Clearing the snow took 15,000 man-hours and 700 shovels were donated for the effort.

47 Responses to “Vikings Will Conduct Walk-Through At TCF Bank Stadium Today”

1. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

TCF stadium will be ready for Monday Night Football.

2. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

It has been a strange year for the Vikings. A win over the Bears would help erase some of the pain.

3. By TW VIKE on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Thats alot of pain to erase, lets see 1961 to 2010, yeah thats alot of PAIN!!!!

4. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

1972, the Vikings aquired Fran Tarkenton. They finished the year 7-7.

The following year they went 12-2 and made it to the Super Bowl.

5. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Teams that have never even made it to the Super Bowl:

Lions
    Browns
    Texans
    Chargers
    Jaquars

6. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Teams that have never WON the Super Bowl

Lions, Browns, Texans, Chargers, Jaguars
    Cardinals, Bengals, Seahawks, Bills, Falcons
    Eagles, VIKINGS, Titans, Panthers,

So the Vikings are one of 14 teams to have never won the Super Bowl.

7. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

OOPS, The Chargers did make it to the 1994 Super Bowl where they lost to the 49ers!

So there are only 4 teams who have never been to the Super Bowl:

Browns
    Jaquars
    Texans
    Lions

8. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

According to average fantasy points by NFL players, Quarterback is the only position where players earn ALMOST as many points as when they were in their 20s, compared to age 32.

There are almost as many quarterbacks in the NFL over age 32 as there are at the peak age of 28!!!

Pro Football Reference

9. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree that the Vikings will probably not sign Tarvaris Jackson. He may come back to haunt us.

10. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Jackson is 27 years old.

11. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

TW:

The Top Five NFL teams of all-time:

1. Chicago .579
    2. Miami .578
    3. Dallas .576
    4. Green Bay .558
    5. Minnesota .552

12. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I had the team nicknames in that last blog, and they wouldn’t let me print it.
    So one of those teams has a PROFANE nickname.

13. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

In any case, we shouldn’t act so spoiled. We should be glad we have a team in Minnesota! ! !

14. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Rippin’ into your flesh with many apologies :)

15. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Someone said that we should only allow QBs with a rating higher than 80 to be the quarterback of the Vikings.

While that idea has some merit, here is a list of HALL OF FAME QBs who failed to achieve that figure:
    John Elway 79.9
    Terry Bradshaw 70.9
    Joe Namath 65.5 (74.3 was his highest)
    Bob Griese 77.1
    Johnny Unitas 78.2 (When he retired, they said he was the greatest QB)
    Y.A. Title 74.3
    Norm Van Brocklin 75.1
    Bobby Layne 63.4

16. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton are also in the Hall of Fame, and their qb ratings are just fractions over 80!!!

17. By wispurplehead on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Fred, the only way T-jak comes back to haunt us is if he is dressed in a costume and it is Halloween! The guy is a lost experiment of chilly’s. If chilly had a brain(which is suspect), we would not have t-jak and Sage would still be wearing Purple and Gold!!

18. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

AND IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS…

Otto Graham retired in 1955 with a qb rating of 86.6, so it’s not like high ratings weren’t possible in the 1980s and 1990s for pete’s sake!!!

19. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

wis head:

Look back at my blogs.

20. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Looks like the field is going to be in good shape at game time. I think what Chicago is worried about is the field refreezing DURING the game.

As someone said, though, they have no room to gripe after what they did to their own field.

Let’s hope, for the sake of everyone, that no one gets hurt on a frozen field should it refreeze.

21. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The point I am making is that IT IS VERY possible for a quarterback to become great at any time during his career.

Rich Gannon was terrible in his years with the Vikings. He moved on to the Chiefs, and was still terrible. Then he had several all-pro years with the Raiders to conclude his career.

22. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The stats are there. I only hope the Vikings do not make a BIG mistake in letting some of these players go to other teams.

23. By wispurplehead on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Well “Rice”, if they have the portable construction coil heaters which I suspect is the case. We use them and it will thaw down 18-24 inches. We have worked all day after thawing in below freezing conditions! So if they remove them at about 4-5 o’clock, there is no way it will refreeze in the that time.

and no Fred, I am not going to look back at your rants!

24. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

If the fans are against TJack, like they were against Childress, then eventually management will feel they have no choice but to let him go.

What happened to Childress was ridiculous. How can anyone coach (or be president) when the press makes up lies that ruin his career.

I sure whould wish that on anyone.

25. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Frederick,

I have one thing to say, sometimes players need a change of scenery to reach their potential. In the case of TJack, he’s proven not to play well in Minnesota and there is no sign that he will ever play well here.

Keeping him with the hope that he’ll suddenly become good is a mistake. If he’s goes somewhere else and plays well then good for him but I won’t be sorry he’s gone because he couldn’t do it here.

26. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I know.

27. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Good point, wispurplehead. Thanks for your explanation.

28. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Wis Purple won’t even look at the facts when they are right in front of him.

Some people just want to be right, they don’t care about facts.

Personally, if someone gave me a list of facts, I would use the energy to look at them.

Hey, maybe you’ll learn something.

Oh, no… we don’t want to be taught.

29. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I hate to tell you this, but alot of things happened before you were born!!!

30. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

“Well, I know I’m right.”

Yeah, what do you base it on…what you have seen with your own eyes.

Many look but do not see.
    Many see but do not perceive.

AND BESIDES, YOU WEREN’T EVEN THE PERSON THAT WROTE THE COMMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

31. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The comment was that the Viking QB must have a rating of 80 or higher to play.

That idea has merit, but as I pointed out with many statistics, it is not fool proof.

32. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Frederick,

A lot of those quarterbacks you listed had good teams around them when their records were good and not so good teams around them when they were bad.

Basically, those quarterbacks were very good but their records didn’t show it because they had no playmakers around them.

33. By Frederick Jones on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Rip away…I’m done for the day.

34. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Who’s ripping, Fred. I’m not ripping you. You made a point and I made a counterpoint. No where did I say you were wrong.

You know what!? I’m tired of your bellyaching that no one understands the game like you do. That everyone else just wants to see the team lose and only you know what it takes to win.

There, now I’ve ripped and you can complain about it.

35. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry, Fred.

This might be a misunderstanding. When I said wispurplehead had a good point I was responding to his response to my post about the field conditions not what you and he/her were discussing.

I had no dog in that fight.

Be that as it may. I wasn’t ripping you and took offense when I thought you said I was.

I apologize.

36. By wispurplehead on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

There is “fred’s way or the highway! No other opinions are allowed..LOL!

37. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Fred .. shhhh , your qb rating non sense is from a differant era … and i didnt say 80 i said 85 …

if you look at qb ratings across the board they are lower back in the day but you will see clu’sters …. the best qbs will be clu’stered together, just as they are now ….

38. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

and I would suggest that the ratings of qbs in the modern era have more to with with the NFLs hatred err i mean rules that defenses have imposed on them … defenders back in the day had a lot more freedom

39. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Testing 1,2,3, Testing, TESTING

40. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Okay, after preparing 3 posts with none appearing I had to fire up a test pattern there. Shawn, wouldn’t it be something to see how phenomenal Tarkenton’s records would be with current pass coverage rules. Not to mention how many more sacks he would elude because of the protections placed on today’s QB’s? That being said, Fred’s numbers support not necessarily having a magic number for a quarterback rating, but looking at the best quarterback available. Many of the greats, regardless of era, had the most important stat. Super Bowl wins! And no, I am not Frederick Jones.

41. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Shawn: Sack records and half-sacks etcetera weren’t kept until the late 80’s or maybe the early 90’s. Many have suggested Deacon Jones may be the all time sack leader. Instead, because this stat is now kept, someone else holds that record, (I believe it is the late Reggie White).

42. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Correction: Bruce Smith had 200 career sacks, Reggie White had 198.5 sacks. Sorry, I’ll get my poop in a group!

43. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Wipurplefan: Thanks for the info on those heaters. I’ve seen them at construction sites and wondered how well they worked. Tom Waddle (Former Bear) last night was critical of TCF stadium and feels Lovie Smith should avoid playing the game there since the Bears will be in the playoffs and it is unsafe. What a dope. He must not watch Bear homegames to see the greased pig of a field they play on.

44. By GOLDVIKE on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

GO WEBB!!!!!

45. By Scott on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

This is great … can’t wait for outdoor game tonight. Maybe when Vikings mgmt. sees how good this is for football, and how much the fans love it, well, I hope they do the right thing and build an outdoor stadium WITHOUT a roof. That would be so cool … and a brilliant move by the Vikings, if they are smart enough to see that. Go Vikes !!!

46. By Jordan Hawkman on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

It was stated that the clearing of TCF Bank Stadium was likened to 65 miles of city sidewalks 3 feet deep. Not even close! Check out the below link for the details.

2. Dec 19, 2010: Vikings Will Conduct Walk-Through At TCF Bank Stadium Today | Vikings Stop Blog