Frazier Feeling Confident About Conditions At TCF Bank Stadium

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 19, 2010 – 1:12 pm

The Vikings held a walk-through a TCF Bank Stadium late Sunday morning in advance of their Monday Night Football showdown with the Chicago Bears. Crews have been working day and night the past week to get the stadium ready, a process that included the removal of 40,000 cubic yards of snow from the stands and field.

Many have been skeptical in the past week about the viability of playing at TCF Bank Stadium this Monday night, with much of the skepticism regarding field conditions. But after taking his team through Sunday’s exercise on the field, Frazier sounded confident in the work that had been done on the field and in the stadium.

“A great job by the people that have worked on it all week long,” Frazier said. “It really seems to me that there are going to be safe conditions. It’s not something that our players have to be concerned about. We can just go out and play football, so it should be good for both teams.”

Frazier was a member of the Chicago Bears from 1981-86 and has played cold-weather games against the Vikings at Soldier Field. Given that fact and also the fact that the Vikings will be celebrating 50 seasons of history, Frazier says Monday night’s game might have an old-school feel to it.

“It’s going to be great for our players, great for our fans,” he said. “First time having an outdoor game here in 29 years for the Vikings. I think our players will embrace that as the game goes on; they’ll be into it.”

Frazier has never hesitated to mention the role Vikings fans can play in a game, specifically when the Vikings are playing at home. With Mall of America Field as their home stadium, the Vikings have enjoyed a tremendous home-field advantage throughout the years. Frazier is looking forward to his team feeding off the energy from the fans on Monday night.

“The energy from our fans when we run out onto the field, that’s really going to get guys’ adrenaline going and get them pumped up,” Frazier said. “It’s different, when you’re on the road and you’re in that atmosphere. But when you’re at home, it just gives you a boost when the fans get loud and all of a sudden things that concerned you before don’t concern you as much.”

Tags:

249 Responses to “Frazier Feeling Confident About Conditions At TCF Bank Stadium”

1. By Bill Spitzer on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I think Frazier is right! I’m disappointed the players are complaining about the weather conditions in Minnesota, there are other teams they could move to! We all have to make changes in our “work” to get the job done. Be a true Viking and win the game by playing the FULL 60 minutes and maybe you will be rewarded in the end!

2. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Bill you’re right. The Coach Frazier is saying all the right things. I believe that the field conditions will not be ideal, but still better than many other field conditions that games will be played on this weekend. It is time to focus on the X’s and O’s and not get worked up over the field. The guys worrying about the field conditions are getting an excuse ready if their performance is subpar.

3. By Justin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Chris Klewe feels differently, as he mentioned on his twitter how the field is hard as heckl and he’s afraid someone is going to get concussed just by the hard ground. Essentially, he says tommorow’s game is going to be a “trainwreck”.

4. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings have a chance to redeem the season a little if they battle and beat the Bears in an outdoor venue with snowy conditions on the evening honoring the 50 year tradition. If it is a performance like last week, this franchise will be in trouble, and also, coach Frazier may not be coach next season.
    You can be sure the Bears will come prepared to play.

5. By Justin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Also, the Twin Cities are expected to get some snow tomorrow that WILL change the field condition. Therefore, we can be optimistic now, but wait until tomorrow night when up to 6 inches of snow is expected to fall.

6. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Who is klewe?

7. By #0 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

BEAR MEAT

8. By Justin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus, he’s the punter

-_-

9. By #0 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

BEARKABOB OUTDOORS BABY VIKELIFE

10. By #0 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

“BIG JOE WEBB”

11. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Justin: Who twitters with a punter anyway? Kluwe is from UCLA. He probably has a waterboy go out to warm up his Yugo GVX for him.

12. By #0 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I L(:^D)VE MINNESOTA VIKINGS

13. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Justin: Buffalo, New England, Cleveland, Green Bay, Chicago, and even the Dallas Cowboys have had game where it snowed, and the players must adjust to the conditions.

14. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Justin, Kluwe is the punter. ;)

15. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Looks like it’s going to be real snowy– 5-8 inches of snow expected tomorrow through Tuesday.

16. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Dont you think playing outdoors , posibly in the snow is … perfect ( i know there is a better word , its just not coming to me right now or maybe i dont know it yet ….)

17. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I would think even if the dome was ready to go , you still celebrate the night at TCF …

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, how about “appropriate”? Also, are you still a banana?

19. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

hey Nova how ya been man …. and yes appropriate is a better word than perfect, and yes …

IM A BANANNA!!!! LOOK AT ME MOVE!!!

20. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been great, just a really busy time of year. You guys get out in the snow and the elements and KKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

21. By mark on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Kluwe??? LMAO I used to go to the Met- NEWSFLASH…THE FIELD WAS FROZEN!!! I played in football leagues on much worse conditions than they are playing on tomorrow-we used to have to wear broomball shoes because there was ice everywhere-they really need to grow up and suck it up-injuries can happen but you mean to tell me if someone hits their head on the ground even if it’s not frozen won’t cause a concussion????? Not unless they are playing on a pillow field!!

22. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova: Did you end up going to the Detroit game? How’s Sonja??

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I should have skipped the Giants (Detroit) game and come to this one.

24. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mark: Great point. I hope the Vikings experimented with different shoes for the best traction. Maybe Gander Mountain can outfit them with broomball shoes for the game!

25. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@MARK …bah you had to mention pillow fields , I sure hope Godell doent read our blog … or it wont be long =)

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow 86, yeah, went to the Detroit game, wasn’t impressed. Sonja is fine, thanks for asking.

27. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Looks like another blizzard is coming in tomorrow– nothing like the last one, but right now they say 5-8 inches of snow.

28. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Had a party here the other night, there’s nothing more stupid looking than a Doberman with antlers on.

29. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova– was she wearing a red and green sweater?

30. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Great! We have something to discuss. Nova, when I was watching the pregame as the Vikes took the field, it sounded like they were being boo-d. Did you observe that?

31. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I heard a lot of disturbing things during that game– when the Giants D was on the field, I heard chants– Defense, Defense, Defense

32. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The biggest cheer of the night was when they carted off the line judge. The crowd was as dead as the game.

33. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

5-8 inches of snow is a mess, but what kid growing up in Minnesota hasn’t gone out and played football in the snow? It will slow the players down a bit, and hopefully our Vikings wear footwear that gives them the traction advantage. The Bears will not practice at TCF and they won’t get on the field until pregame warmups.

34. By Oldschoolvike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

To say that the field is “too hard” is ridiculous. The “real” Vikings played weekly at Metropolitan Stadium on ice and snow and showed no ill effects. This punter needs to take off the panties and “play football”.

35. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, I guess we can forget about Vick. After today’s comeback win, he practically owns the Eagles. Question now is, Kolb, Palmer, or McNabb?

36. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus, no red and green sweater, and don’t tell her what she’s getting for Xmas……(prime rib)

37. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

How about the Giants collapse this afternoon? Losing on a punt return for a TD by DeSean Jackson. I think Detroit beat Tampa as well.

38. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The Giant’s punter will be unemployed for Xmas.

39. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

OldschoolVike: It’s appropriate on the Sabbath! AMEN! To your comment. Kluwe is probably worried about snow and wind effecting his stats. To fans going to the game, stay warm, and cheer loud!

40. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova: I just had an eerie feeling when the Eagles scored the 2 quick TD’s. Atlanta will be tough to beat at home in the playoffs, but wouldn’t it be something if Vick was quarterbacking the Eagles there in the NFC Championship game?

41. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Arrow, don’t remind me— Tampa lost, Giants lost– Green Bay will lose tonight– had the Vikings won last week, everything would still be favorable and this game Monday would mean something. How many years have I seen this team lose near the end of the season when they had a chance? Sure, it was a small chance this year– but with two weeks, left, beating the Bears tomorrow, we would have that chance still.

42. By mark on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

they have really pampered players- Mike Morris said that when he played in NE back in the late 80′s they had artificial (NOT FIELD TURF EITHER) turf and they didn’t have heating coils under the field
    Although the fact that they DDIN’T install coils at TCF proves that we are idiots- the gophers play in November- last i checked we can get snow and sub-zero weather in November can’t we??

43. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff: I’m leaning toward McNabb for the short-term of 2-3 years if they feel Webb will be the guy at QB eventually. Otherwise, they may go Kolb, a little younger and possibly the long-term solution at the position. I used to think Carson Palmer had bad luck, but, the more I see the Bengal’s play, I’m convinced that all of his receivers can’t be running the wrong routes. Granted, the Bengals are a mess of an organization. This week, to secure season ticket holders for next year, if they buy now, they get a single box of popcorn at the game of their choice next year. So much for T.O.’s “You better get your popcorn ready!” claim.

44. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@titus yea it sucks we had to play in detroit last week , i think home field advantage like it should have been wouldve got us a win and we would be one game out after we beat chicago tomorrow

45. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Good one Old School– why is kluwe complaining anyway? How much is he on the field? A few minutes for the whole game?- (Let’s hope it’s not too much, maybe he is thinking he will be punting a lot).

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I think Carson Palmer just needs to get out of the Cincinnati Zoo.

47. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mark: I don’t think the Gophers were wrong in not putting in field coils. Yes, we play a game in November, but usually it isn’t near zero or anything like that. If there would be an early snow storm, they could do as they are doing now, throw a tarp down and run heaters. I don’t think this takes away from the everything great I’ve heard about TCF stadium. My brother goes to both Viking and Gopher games, he feels the seats at TCF are wider and more comfortable than the dome, but I don’t know if their is any truth to that claim.

48. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I want to see a picture of Reindeer Sonja.

49. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@mrsmiff … i think wed be fine with any of those 3 … palmer hasnt really had a running game all year and i think AP will make QBs better just because defenses have to respect the run … lets see how webb plays tomorrow, see if short or long term is what we need

50. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova: I’m laughing because you are as loyal to Carson Palmer as Shawn is to Moss, but your both great to talk with about football. Until mid year this season, I thought Palmer was just in a bad situation. I now feel he’s become the Jake Delhomme of Cincinnati!

51. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

and yes benson had a good game today

52. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Usually we have very little measurable snow until Thanksgiving– and below zero is uncommon in November– avg high is low 30s at the end of the month, mid 40s at the start– we got robbed this year– very early winter.

53. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus, she’s already talking lawyer.

54. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I think the Bengals score a lot of points. But, Palmer throws too many pick 6′s. I don’t have any stats to back my claim, it’s just my perception.

55. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I have never seen much in Palmer– and for that matter, not been a big fan of McNabb– but of all the QBs mentioned, McNabb has had the most success– hard to argue with 5 NFC championship appearances since 2000

56. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova, sneak a pic and post it online– she will never know (unless that Poodle sees it and tells the block).

57. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I watched the come back by the Eagles. Good game.

Good to know the field is in good shape for now. I don’t think it will refreeze but playing in the snow is always tough on the passing game. Hopefully Webb can overcome that.

Oh, and good to see the old gang is back together. LOL

58. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I think the poodle knows better.

59. By mark on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

they are going to have to put them in because if the Vikings get a new stadium on the site of the dome- they will be playing at TCF for 2-3 years-so they shouldve put the coils in when they built it

60. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Grossman actually had a good day today. McNabb’s days as a Deadskin are numbered. I like him a lot, but Snyder may still want to keep him. I’d prefer Kolb, but not if we’re going to draft a qb in the first round. No matter who we want though, they may not come if we don’t fix you-know-what.

61. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Shawn thanks for the insight on the Bengal running game. Everytime someone on the Bengals gets mentioned, I immediately laugh and think about their rap-sheet. Cedric Benson- Drunken boating, and resisting arrest. T.O. and his tirades. Ochoacinco and his antics-but at least he’s funny. Maaluga and his stupidity, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Maybe Nova is right. I can’t remember or think of any off the field issues for Palmer. When he gets in a huddle, Palmer must think “The 3 stooges” have greater mental capacity than these clowns! Palmer isn’t real mobile though, and we’ve already discussed our O-line issues.

62. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I saw the last 20 minutes of that Giants game– I thought the Giants look like they may be facing the Patriots in the Superbowl again, like a few years ago– but now I think it may be Philly, Atlanta, or Saints against the Patriots at Dallas.

63. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

fix what mrsmiff … the recievers? the secondary? the stadium?

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I know some people disagree with me about this, but I would rather have anyone except Vick.

65. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mark: Why would the Gophers spend countless millions to build their field for the remote possibility of the Vikings playing there? If in fact, the Dome gets imploded, or at least what’s left of it, and the Vikes play at TCF for a few seasons, I feel the Vikes can offset the cost to the U of M to install them. I don’t build an extra garage on my house in the event my neighbor buys a classic car. I build the extra stalls for when I buy mine!

66. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I understand, Nova, canophilist that you are.

67. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Nova: I’m in total agreement. I’m glad he (Vick) is getting his life together, but he’s still a risk. If the Vikes sign Palmer, I’ll buy that jersey, if the Vikes would sign Vick, I’ll buy that Aaron Rodgers jersey!

68. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

IMO … Bengals will not get rid of Palmer , they have way to many issues there

Palmer has a 78 rating this season and a 86 career rating

Bengals have the 30th ranked running game and the 21st ranked defense

So Im sticking with Kolb, McNabb, and Orton on my QB wishlist …

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, do bananas have wish lists?

70. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I meant the o-line, Shawn. I’ve been beating that issue to death all season.

71. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@nova … lol , I do

@mrsmiff … I knew what ya meant , was just pickin onya

72. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

What’s black and hangs from your light fixture?

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

You have 1 minute……anyone?

74. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Once again, good stats Shawn. I was glad to see Orton on your wishlist. He’d work reasonably cheap too. I just looked again at Vick’s rap-sheet, and I’m hopeful the Eagles will keep him. If that guy so much as j-walks Gooddell will finish his career promptly. I think Vick has changed, but on two occassions he’s associated with former friends who were involved in illegal activities independently and with Vick, which still makes him a risk. The sad thing is that Vick has been swindled on more than one occassion by charleton’s who’ve claimed financial expertise.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

A blond electrician. Gotta go folks, have a good one!

76. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

No clue, Nova?

77. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Later, Nova.

78. By Tom on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

It may have to be their “home” stadium for a couple of seasons if they end up building a new stadium on the Metrodome sight, so they better get used to it! I’m sick of the complaining from these guys are are making mega-bucks to play a game for a living! What a joke!

79. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Orton hasn’t been good in the 4th quarter or in the red zone. Also not very mobile.

80. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow I really like Orton … I knew he was playing well but its even better than I thought and his rating has gone up every year … he was also Drew Brees’s replacement at Purdue and if I remeber right broke some of Brees’s records

81. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

mr smiff he plays on one of the worst teams in the league and he is still among the best …

82. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m not saying he would be a bad get, just that he needs a little more work. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in purple.

83. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I have to say this before I go…..Mark Sanchez is the most overrated QB in the NFL.

84. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

NOVA: AGREED!

85. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Tom: I haven’t seen or read any comments other than the ones by our fearsome punter. I don’t want hear any complaints either. I know the players bodies are their means to provide for themselves, and their families. I don’t think their is a higher risk of injury than there would be on many of the other fields that will be played on this weekend.

86. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Denver has the 29th ranked rushing game and the 28th ranked defense

Orton has a 87.5 qb rating without Brandon Marshall and Scheffler the tight end they had and traded to detroit … I would say except Brandon Llyod he has no weapons

Orton has 20 TDs and 9 Ints

87. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Of course we would all like to have our own Brady, Brees, or P.Manning or Tarkenton but … we may have to just dig another hole in the qb graveyard till then

88. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Shawn: I don’t get Bronco games here like I did in past seasons, this is good information to have in the VIkings future plans regarding Orton. I’m sure the Vikes front office is looking at similar numbers in making their decisions. I see Tebow has a 40 yard touchdown run today!

89. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

If the Viking game isnt on I watch NFL redzone its a new channel most cable providers have but it jumps around all the NFL games live, and shows no commercials … and whenever a team is in the red zone they go to it …

90. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

and i just get my stats from NFL .com

91. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

No McNabb…he’s a “has been”….. The Vikings could do much better and develop Webb into a franchise quarterback. We need to stop getting the ‘leftovers’ long past their prime.

92. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Renee … I think we all agree … and we have 3 games to see if Webb is ready, I hope he is would love to see us have our own version of Michael Vick

Just talking about Plan B … in case Webb needs more time

93. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

lol Tebow has 6 rushes for 70 yards

94. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Shawn…. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for Webb–he could be another Favre in that he performs well in the cold despite not having played in it (at all). I’ve enjoyed Favre play too–always wished he was a Viking from the start…..

95. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Renee: Webb may have greater athletic ability today than what the other QB’s we’ve talked about have right now, but rarely do 1st and 2nd year players have the experience to spot the defense and audible to the correct play. The experience of a vet, makes up for some of this. Otherwise, it’s really a rough transition. We still have some great players under contract who are nearing their peak. We can’t develop this position to have these players past their prime. McNabb is a positive and charismatic player on and off the field. He often deflects criticism away from teammates and coaches and takes the blame. This prevents some of the soap opera like scenarios we’ve been through this year. I would agree that McNabb isn’t as good now as say 5 years ago, but I’d say that about myself too!

96. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow86: What about Mark Sanchez–isn’t he only in his second year–he doesn’t look like he’s having too much of a rough transition…..?

97. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Renee … Ive got mine crossed, I think Webbs athletic ability could bring us a win on a snowy outdoor field …

98. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.

The world looks funny but if it gives Webb a leg up, I’ll go with it.

99. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

McNabb is 34– relative to the other “graveyard QBs” as Shawn so eloquently states, he would be a youngin’ for us. He has strong character and might be good for 2-3 years while we transition a future, franchise QB. The more I dwell on it, the more I am sold on it– and as I have stated before, I have not always been impressed with him– but 5 NFC championships in this past decade, one in 2008 is a good record, undeniable– plus there is one huge factor McNabb brings– motivation– he has never won the big one, even though he has repeatedly been so close– bring him in with a good D, Adrian, Rice, get a Moss caliber receiver or Moss himself to compliment Rice and strengthen the O line and we have a team that wants it bad– many professional players out there– the difference is often in the unseen, in the heart– you’ve got to want it more than the other side.

100. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Renee: Sanchez hasn’t gotten his team in the endzone the previous 2 games. They were considering benching him. Today, they are up 5 with :52 seconds left. I too love Joe Webb’s skill set.

101. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Titus….McNabb hasn’t impressed me at all this season. He hasn’t played like he wants to win. Plus, he’s been benched. True, Shanahan is controversial in his coaching this year….but if McNabb were really a leader, I don’t think he’d get benched.

@Arrow86: I’m not a fan of Sanchez….I’m just asking why he isn’t having too much trouble with his transition as this is only his 2nd pro season?

102. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Renee– true, but all the more reason to bring him to a new team, a new environment under a different style coach–McNabb still has it. Last year,had it not been for Favre’s superstar aura and the protection of the Wilfs, Chilly would have benched a quarterback who took the Vikings within inches of a Superbowl. Benching does not denote a lack of talent, nor ability, but rather issues of performance based on many possible causes. All the more reason to give McNabb a shot– he does not want to end a career with the legacy of being benched by a disciplinarian coach– I am sure he wants a ring.

103. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Where is Coach Fred?

104. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Renee: My belief in why Sanchez is doing so well. He has an incredible defense. When he goes on the field he’s told to get 14 points, and the Jets defense can often hold teams to 10. Just don’t force it. He has a very good offensive line, and they have good backs, but they haven’t performed up to expectations. They’ve upgraded his receiving corps as well. Sanchez has made some great plays, but the Jets are better built as a team all around than the Vikings are right now. We all want Webb to succeed,but our O-line will have an awful lot to do with his success. He’s really coming into a situation not unlike what Tavaris came into. How did that work out? It sounds like 65,000 fans will help box up TJacks stuff and put it in the UHaul for him.

105. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

People in DC have questioned play calling all year long. Unlike the other 31 teams in the league. Shanahan’s son Kyle (Who was thought to be the hot head coaching prospect) is the O-coordinator calling the plays. You bench McNabb that you have no strong ties to and it gets people off of sonny’s back! NEPOTISM at its worst.

106. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Renee: I do like your example of Sanchez. Most QB’s in my opinion don’t play well in the first 2-3 seasons. It’s year 4 that they tend to really accel and take a team places. Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez, and Freeman in Tampa ( to some extent) have had that success. Were it not for a poor team and health issues Detroit’s Matthew Stafford may be the best in the bunch, but until they get a little more talent around them few people will realize it. Favre became available because it was time to try Aaron Rodgers and even Lord Favre can’t play forever.

107. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Amen Brother Arrow, Amen.

108. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m salivating for my appetizer tomorrow night Bro! You practicly put the recipe on here yesterday. You probably made everyone on here salivate like Sonja for her prime rib! HA!

109. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

@Titus….sigh….maybe it isn’t a good fit for McNabb in Washington….but what if he isn’t a good fit when he comes here?

@Arrow86: makes sense…..wish all cylinders would click at once for this Vikings team. Seems like it never does–which leads to the allure of being a Vikings fan (“maybe this year….”)….but I’m still a Viking fan through and through. If Tjack needs help packing his stuff…..I’m there to help speed it along.

110. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Like I said many times, I just never saw all the hype around McNabb, but I think he may be the best choice of veterans out there, and I think we could get him.

111. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

One point I think we all can agree upon: McNabb is better than Tavrais.

112. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

*Tavaris

113. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Renee: LMAO! I too have been long suffering. I doubt it has much to do with reality, but I wonder if the Vikes get their line issues squared away nicely through free-agency, draft, and improved coaching. I wonder if there would be any chance to lure a 1 year deal for Kurt Warner? Get him out of retirement again to lead the team and mentor Webb. Here is where stats are misleading. Rex Grossman had a 90.0 rating today in a loss to Dallas. He threw 4 TD’s but 2 of the most bone headed interceptions I’ve seen in years that really cost his team. My reason for McNabb being more successful than others is he would have the same offense he ran for the first 10 years of his career. Same terminology. This is why Lord Favre wanted to wear Viking purple and not Jet Green.

114. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow, I do like to eat — right now I am enjoying fresh juice– I mix about three apples with one pear– you will never buy juice again once you juice your own.
    If we could get Favre juicing, he could come back for another 5 years.

115. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: I’ll go one further. McNabb is better than Tavrais, Tavaris, and Travis!

116. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow, I believe Lord Favre wanted Purple so he could smash Packer Green.

117. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow– ha ha ha.
    Is anyone going to watch the Packer game tonight? I wonder if it will be competitive in any way, or just boring with a final score of 63-3.

118. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: I was thinking Favre just needs to expoliate his pores. Maybe, get him some wheat-grass juice when he comes off the field. Seriously, with the time off for his shoulder, I wonder if Brett’s ankle, chin, elbow, and nasty case of the sniffles has improved? I love the guy, I just wish things had been different for him this year.

119. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus and others: I intend to watch and see what McCarthy does to prepare Flynn if he is the Packer’s starter. McCarthy is getting it pretty good this week for not having a veteran backup for Rodgers. I do think McCarthy is a great coach with a team that my DNA repulses.

120. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: My parents have and orange and grapefruit tree in their yard at their winter home. Fresh picked grapefruit doesn’t have near the acidic bitter taste. We’ll share more food tips at a later time.

121. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree–McNabb is better than TJack

Terminology and talent is why Favre is here…..even he wanted to play with AP…… I’m a firm believer in that the “drama” surrounding Favre is pretty much drummed up by the media. Sure, he waffled about retirement in Green Bay. He was forced to make a decision before he was ready to. Then he changed his mind a few months later. The guy’s human. The amount of attention paid to his “indecision” is beyond comprehension and it’s not like he sought out the media and gave a daily decision. It just seems like the guy would like to stay out of the limelight but due to his long career & # of records he holds seems to captivate the media’s attention and any subsequent “news” is turned into “drama”.

122. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m watching the Pack vs the Pats tonight. I really hope the Pack spoils the Pats. Just like I hoped Vick & Co would “repay” the Manning & Co. Since we’re clearly out of the playoff picture, why can’t we play “spoiler”? So, here’s to hoping Mathews gets to Brady with the scissors. He clearly looks like a girl and…..not cutting his hair cuz his wife likes his long locks? Ppppffffftttt…..get a backbone Tom!!!!

123. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Oh absolutely, it was the media that made it a circus– but the fans fueled that circus–most of the media is not about journalism, but money.

124. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

If the Patriots win tonight, I will do that Polar Plunge.

125. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: Bbbbrrrrr!!! If Mathews gets to Brady listen carefully because you may just hear me laughing my *ss off……whoooo hoooo!!!!!

126. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

No, no— I am multi-tasking, what I mean to say is if the Packers win— both teams start with a P, A, — my bad. I don’t think there’s any chance of the Packers winning– believe me, I do not want to jump in a frozen lake.

127. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

*meant– now I am making all sorts of errors, just the thought of that plunge has me a nervous-wreck.

128. By Renee on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

LOL….well, the way the game started (on side kick)–you may just have to get ready for that dip–unless, of course, you have a hot tub and add ice (in intervals) from the lake….in a sense, it’s a polar plunge–albeit, heated! LOL

129. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I am not worried– remember Thanksgiving? Detroit looked like they were smashing the Patriots until Brady and Co. said playtime is over– and they demolished the Lions.

130. By Shawn on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I just looked at the top 50 Viking as voted by the fans and WE DID A GOOD JOB …. it was really fun scrolling through the names and memories

I noticed TJack and Chilly didnt make it ….. Sorry Chilly MOSS MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

131. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I DON’T BELIEVE THIS!!! MATT FLYNN IS OUTDUELING TOM BRADY!!!

132. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I just turned on the game to see Jennings get a TD reception, Pack up by 17, and I thought I may have to find my swimsuit– now look at that run back — I think I will stop looking for that suit. Patriots are about to take over.

133. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Pack up by 10, excuse me, score 17-10.

134. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Excuse me 17-7– I am going to bed

135. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Don’t worry Mr Smiff– Patriots will take over in the second half.

136. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Hoo boy! Flynn just threw a pick 6! Arrington intercepted him and broke 4 weak tackles on his way to the end zone. Tough, Flynnie!

137. By Justin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow, this was posted on ESPN as a article. Also, I doubt some of the guys will adjust easily to the snowy conditions. When was the last time the Vikings played in the snow?

138. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Mr Smiff those were pathetic attempts at tackling– but now look– Packers just scored again.

139. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Patriots better do something fast.

140. By mark on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

arrow- i highly doubt that running under ground tubing to keep the field from freezing like a brick would cost millions of dollars and why risk november cold & snow anyway??- it happens a lot more than you think-it’s not like they are done playing in september! it’s just another example of where we go the cheapest route possible in this state- remember we didn’t originally have air conditioning in the dome and a black and white scoreboard- just build it right the FIRST time so you don’t have to deal with it later is my point
    and now the players wont have to worry about the frozen turf anyway-they will have a nice snow cushion to land on with tomorrows snow-lol

141. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mark– I agree — I have always felt this state wants to do things halfway– I was here when different stadium ideas were up for bids– the state went with the cheap roof design and I was disgusted. Pay more at the start, you pay less in the long run and you enjoy your decision the whole time. Now, GO PATRIOTS.

142. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

YAY!!! TOUCHDOWN

143. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

PATRIOTS RULE

144. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Now another Flynn interception is negated by a facemask penalty from Banta-Cain. Way to scr3w your team over, Tully!

145. By martin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

well with the results in the nfl this week it makes last weeks disappearnace act by many of our players even worse…we would still be alive..if we dont win monday there is no way we will win vs the eagles or even the lions…

146. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Martin: Just as the Jets looked horrendous last week, it does not mean they have to lose out. They went to Pittsburgh today and won. Each game is a different opponent, a different week of preparation. If the Vikings prepare Webb as well as the Pack prepares Flynn we’ll be in good shape tomorrow night. As the cliche goes, one game at a time.

147. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, that’s that. The Patriots just squeaked one past the P3ckers. I thought I would be gloating over the cheeseheads tonight. Instead I’m just relieved. Way to redeem yourself, Tully!

148. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know about you guys and I’m in no way cheering on the Pack, but Flynn was impressive tonight. He lost of course but the kid had something to be proud of.

A comparison to Webb is somewhat unfair in that Flynn is second string and Webb third, but if Webb comes out and plays anything like that, I will definitely have good hopes for our future.

GO WEBB!!!

149. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness!!! No polar plunge required. Although it might be fun. Anyone done a polar plunge on the new year before?

150. By martin on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

right now we are 21st overall in the nfl…while for satisfaction would be great to win as many games as we can…but in the long run we would benefit if we lost all three games as we would have a shot at being in the bottom 5..

151. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Flynn was impressive– Rodgers better watch his back.

152. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I feel bad for Flynn. He played with a veteran’s poise, only to close with a novice’s confusion. If only TJack played like Flynn’s first 59 minutes last Monday…

153. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff– don’t feel bad, the kid played incredibly well– it is obvious he has the potential to be very good— Flynn in Purple?

154. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The kid is good. With experience he could definitely be someone starter. He sort of floats the ball out on long pass plays and I’m not sure that something that can to be coached out.

Anyway, enough about the Pack.

So what’s the verdict on the field. Is the coach right? Visanthe? Or Kluwe?

155. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mark: Anything to do with plumbing going 50 yards by 120 yards, involving a heating unit, pumps, and fluids, you’d be suprised, it will be millions. They don’t go down to Hardware Hank to buy the materials. First things first. We have to get the money to build a stadium. Is there any talk of alternative sites in the suburbs? Continue to have a stadium near the light rail.

156. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

My last post came out wrong.

I’m not telling anybody what to talk about. What I meant to say was that was enough FROM ME.

Of course, I talk about that game if you guys want to.

157. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

That was a more than creditable performance from Flynn tonight, as was the play of the other backup qbs today: Clausen, Grossman, Stanton, and so on. If this trend continues, Webb should do very well Monday night. I’m starting to feel good about this.

158. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: The Coach is always right! I don’t put a lot of stock in the punter as team spokesperson. Ray Guy was the most dominant punter in NFL history and he wasn’t the Raiders spokesman. I’m not saying the traction will be ideal. With heavy snow expected it’ll be slick, but it’s slick elsewhere when it snows. I go back to players speaking out about it, it’s in their head, it’s the 10cent excuse when someone doesn’t play well. Test a variety of shoes. I’ve been told due to shoe contracts, some players stick to their brand, and adjust the spikes which is fine, but if I thought moon boots gave me better traction, I guess I play in moon boots!

159. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Wishful thinking, Titus. The P3ckers won’t let him go now. But that was an idea.

160. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Riceflield, nothing is ever wrong when you say enough about the Pack. Although I think we all agree the game was far different than anyone anticipated– I, like most, thought it would be a blowout. Belichick looked like he had g-as.

161. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The Pack is the best coached team in the division. To that, I hope the Vikings beat the tar out of the Bears tomorrow night.

162. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow– we cannot go to Hardware Hank?

163. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Hilarious

164. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Earlier tonight I think I got into it with Frederick Jones and that has me worried that it may have changed my rep on the boards.

It’s better to make myself clear than have another misunderstanding.

165. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I too expected a Patriot blowout. It’s a credit to the Packers putting together play calls that kept it simple. They really caught the Patriots off-guard with the on side kick. Well played game.

166. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow– from fat kids on teeter-totters to watching players on safari in the elements vs at the metrodome zoo to refurbishing a stadium after a trip to Hardware Hank– priceless posts– all three in 24 hours! What a roll!

167. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I know Titus, which one do you think of when you read my posts, “The town drunk” or “The village idiot!” HA!

168. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: Your disagreement with Frederick didn’t reach the “Tastes great!” “No! Less filling!” level of discussion. It’s okay. We like ya!

169. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow, you are too modest– I am signing off early– have a busy week– have to get an early start tomorrow to get done early before the snow– then I won’t have to travel much in it— It should be an interesting game, but it sure is not the same anymore with no playoff chance– kind of like a life without purpose.

170. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Arrow,

The Vikings have a chance in the game tomorrow.

I know we drafted Webb as an athlete but does anybody know if he’s played quarterback before?

The thing that worries me is he’s another Chilly Willy choice so it would be nice to know if the kid has even played the position he’s forced into.

171. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

One thing about Flynn, what I saw in Tebow, and what I’ve seen already from Webb. All three look like it’s no big deal, it’s just a football game. A confident swagger! As fans, the rest of the season may be Webb. He may give us some spectacular moments, and some that leave us scratching our snowmobile helmet, but we must stay positive for the sake of helping him develop his talents with a clear head and minimize pressure he may put on himself. TJack had swagger early on in his career. Right now, he looks like he needs to be pointed to the correct restroom. (Just confused by frustration.) (P.S. No icicle references were used in this post, in the event someone was having a late night snack!)

172. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I must say, we have been a gracious bunch tonight, giving the P3ckers their just due for a game well played. Too bad most P3cker fans aren’t as cl@ssy.

173. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Ricefield: Webb played QB at the University of Alabama Birmingham. The Vikes did draft him with the intention of making him a receiver. He, as you know, has some remarkable athletic gifts. I dump on Chilly a lot, but he did hit some home runs. He drafted A.P. and many teams passed on him. He went to Florida a couple times to talk with coaches and get to know Harvin better before drafting him. I believe Harvin had an off the field issue that came up prior to the draft, that made him more of a risk. To that Chilly deserves credit. He knew he had to have Favre to make a greater push in the playoffs last season. Defensively he drafted Greenway, signed Jared Allen, drafted Ray Edwards, Sidney Rice. We may brag that he drafted Gerhart too at some point.

174. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff, we are a class act. I missed the blog altercation everyone is referring to—- what happened– is it on this blog?

175. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Arrow,

LOL. I really need to start doing some research before I post. A quick google search would of answered that.

176. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Swiff: Great point! When you make an argument based on the facts and being objective, you take the high road. You’ve always done that, and hit us with some good knowledge and background. The Packers have a rich heritage, they are still among the youngest teams in the N.F.L. and have tremendous upside. We see it. We respect it. It does not diminsh our love for the Vikings!

177. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

It’s in the other blog about the field.

178. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Arrow86, I noticed the swagger too. He’ll be playing primetime in the cold against a strong division rival, but he sounds excited and confident. You can make the argument that he isn’t nervous because the season is already lost, therefore less pressure, but he is displaying the exact qualities I want to see from a rookie qb about to make his first career start. GO WEBB!

179. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: I’d come down on you like a ton of bricks, if any of us had ever seen an Alabama-Birmingham game, but since I doubt very few Viking fans ever saw him play in college, it’s understandable. All I heard in pre-season was receiver, receiver, receiver. I think the game will be low scoring tomorrow night. 17 points should win it. Field position will determine the winner. Mr. Kluwe if your reading this, and if you saw the Giant game, (Kick out of bounds) give up 8 yards of distance, or Hester will take it the distance!

180. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I found it– did not seem like a big deal. Fred does that — he makes some comments and then says rip away, or have at it– he does not direct that at anyone in particular– he knows there is debate– so he throws an idea out and is saying — go ahead tear that logic apart. I think you read him wrong– I saw that earlier and thought nothing of it–

181. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, does anyone have a preference who wins our division– Pack or Bears?

182. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

All I remember hearing about Webb was in preseason and they kept saying he was drafted as an Athlete, a player with skills but not a position on the team, and the coach saw him throwing in practice and thought he’d make a good quarterback. I don’t remember them saying what position he actually played.

183. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

The warmer temperatures for the game will be more of a benefit to the players than the snow will be a drawback. I predicted a low scoring game. Watch: Vikes 49-Bears 21. HA! Webb’s post game stats: 5 carries, 175 yards 2 TD’s. 14 of 20 for 150 yards. 3TD’s 0 Interceptions. The rest will be a steady dose of Adrian Peterson! I hope I haven’t discouraged anyone from watching the game now that I’ve gone “Kenny Kingston” on yah!

184. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I thought I heard Webb was originally drafted to be a wide receiver.

185. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Arrow– I hope it is a good game, and not a recurrence of the Green Bay and Giants games where we scored 3 points in each game– the stadium will be empty the fourth quarter if it is. I have a gut feeling they may not play well– I hope I am sooooo wrong.

186. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: I’d actually rather see the Packers. They, like the Vikings have lost key players, but other guys have stepped up. They are the best coached team in the division. They could knock a few teams out in the playoffs. They would have to play the wildcard game. It comes down to this, I like Rodgers far more than Cutler. I like Matthews far more than Pepper’s. I like Charles Woodson far more than whoever the Bears have. I like Cheese more than Chicago style pizza. BECAUSE without the cheese, it’s just really doughy breadsticks in marinara sauce.

187. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I think its going to be a close game too. What I want to see is how our o-line hand Urlacher and the other guy for the Bears. If they have a good night then it could be a nightmare for Webb. Webb, however, has a great deal of escapability and so if they (the Bears) get burned a couple of times it could slow down the pass rush opening the door for Rice to have a heck of a game.

We’ll have to establish the run with AP but Webb’s mobility is a game changer all its own.

188. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m not going to count any chickens like you Arrow. As long as Webb takes good care of the ball and manages the game well, I’m good.

189. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

What’s all the talk about food? Chicago style pizza– yum, cheese pizza, marinara sauce and bread sticks, chicken, and bear.

190. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Titus: What concerns I have are when guys like Kluwe are talking about the field condiitons. The Vikes of old never bothered talking about them, because this weeks home game was going to be better conditions than next week’s game. That being said, the Patriots exposed some areas the Bears need to address. Not only do they have to prepare for a QB they’ve seen little of, they have to address a lot of issues. Is this the time of year the Bears collapse??? I don’t know, but I hope so.

191. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Peppers vs McKinnie- who wins?

192. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

One of the things both the Jets and Packers did that I though helped their QB’s out is, they really used some great play action to cause the defense to pause momentarily. A momentary pause with Adrian Peterson on the field means post another 6 on the board. Webb has some escapability that will make the Bears pass rush try to contain him, and use a spotter (linebacker) this free’s up tight ends, and creates holes for running backs.

193. By Titus on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

A coach like Belichick who understands the game is won in the mind would trade Kluwe next week. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of feed that poison into his teammates mind. Plant the correct seeds for winning. Anyway, I am signing off so I can be done early tomorrow and hibernate while I watch the Bears lose—

194. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff: Field conditions with the snow, can slow Peppers which helps McKinnie, but overall I’ll give it to Peppers. Help from Tahi will be needed.

195. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m still waiting for an answer as to who reads the team punter’s Twitter? Now that’s when you really want an in-depth scouting report. HA! It could be that he was put up to saying it for other veterans. I do feel, if I were coach, I’d quietly request a generous donation from Mr. Kluwe to a Minneapolis children’s charity for those comments.

196. By Ricefield on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m getting off too. I might be on tomorrow but after that I’m gonna be gone.

TTYL.

197. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Kluwe has had a super season. Now ESPN will be discussing his comments after the commercial break.

198. By mr smiff on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Later, Titus.

199. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Ma! Meatloaf! MEATLOAF MA! -Chaz

200. By Arrow86 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr.Smiff: Are you with me here?

201. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I’m still here. I was reading Kluwe’s tweets. Although I don’t have a problem with them, I wish he hadn’t said those things.

202. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

You know, we’re maybe lacking the mental toughness. It is an advantage that the Vikings were able to do a walk-through. The Bears won’t set foot on the field until pre-game. Adjust to footing. Everyone is predicting snow. The other thing is the heaters will have had another 26 hours to warm the field further. Turf burns on the hands, arms, and legs are no fun either, but I don’t think that will be a problem.

203. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

We’ve been lacking mental toughness all season. The team will just have to deal with the conditions as they are. To quote Shiancoe, we’ll see who lays down.

204. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

The problem I have with them, and why I think teammates put him up to it. Kluwe is not exactly the Jack Tatum of punters. He’s not hitting anyone tomorrow night, I’ll guarantee that. For all the work that has been done, it’s a slap in the face to the workers and volunteer workers. Vikings of old would laugh about this. As it gets colder, it doesn’t matter how fast you are, you run slower. The speed of the players on both teams will be slower and thus some relief in impact from hits. I never want a player to have injury let alone a concussion. I’ve had two. But I don’t feel there will be a dramatic increase in the risk of these injuries tomorrow night. I’m more concerned about muscle pulls from tightening up. We’d better get the Pedia-lite pumping!

205. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff: That makes me more nervous. The last time the VIkes were talking about how they “Win despite the coach!” “We won’t phone it in, like some teams have.” etcetera, they went out and laid an egg in Chicago and followed that up with a monumental butt whooping on them by the Packers. The best thing the Vikes could do, is keep their mouth’s shut! Years back the San Diego Chargers went to Cincinnati to play in the AFC Championship game. Windchills were well below zero all game long. Afterward, Charger great Kellen Winslow was asked about the conditions. He said words to the effect that he knew the Bengals were really cold too, so it was fair. The Bengals did win the game, but Winslow was a champion in his character. Champions never make excuses. We’ve had a season of excuses.

206. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

On one tweet, Kluwe thanked the workers for prepping the field, then deemed it unplayable. He shouldn’t have done that. Come Monday night, it will be the team that is better coached and plays smarter football that wins.

207. By fireD childress on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

talk is heating up about the vikings new stadium. they were saying on the nfl network if they don’t start building the new stadium by spring, the team will be gone

208. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Temperatures in Cincinnati on the game I mentioned are an NFL record. -9 degrees with 35 – 40 m.p.h. winds. Windchills of -57 degrees. Oh, and no heating coils under the field. Tomorrow night will be like hanging out on South Beach with LeBron in comparison.

209. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

firedChildress: I think they need to have the funding in place by spring. It’ll take months to develop the plans, the site, and get the bids. This isn’t like hauling a double-wide into a pasture and calling it home. I’m sure if it meets approval in the spring session the Vikes will make due in the Dome until it gets built. N.F.L. network and the N.F.L. have a dog in the fight. They’d like everyone to build a new stadium and want to push us all toward that end of the diving board.

210. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

My biggest regret about this season is that Favre came back to play with a bunch of losers! In the end all he did was end up getting hurt, and in more ways than one. The one guy who had the most fight in him, and they allowed other teams to just beat him down! I’m glad Webb has good mobility and escapability because he is going to need it!

211. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I just had to let that out.

212. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

You’re correct Mr. Smiff, this season should not tarnish Favre’s legendary career. If anything, how many of us who work in non-contact jobs would be calling in sick instead of going to work with his injuries. He is an example to kids that you honor your committments. (-Sterger, if anything ever comes of that.)

213. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

At this point in the night, 7734 upside down on a calculator, at this time in the season we all need to vent and let out the negativity to prepare for the coming 2011 Vikings. We are getting a look at our depth in a variety of positions, which leads me to be more optimistic the coaches will make personnel adjustments in the off-season.

214. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

How about Donovan McNabb having to go out for the coin toss as a captain, even though he won’t play the rest of the season. He’s a class act. It’s been a tough year for him. He is getting the blame from his coach. Cowher announced today that he’d like to jump back into coaching next year, but I think he said he’d like to work with the Giants or the Panthers.

215. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I hope so too, Arrow86. This team as it is will never have a winning season again. Starters should be made to compete for their jobs, and the coaching staff could use some new people with new ideas.

216. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

There will be a lot of openings for Cowher in the offseason should he come back. Even though Grossman did well today (or yesterday), McNabb still owns the Redskins locker room. Given how poorly and dishonestly the Shanahans handled Haynesworth and McNabb’s first benching, I wouldn’t be surprised if they go and McNabb stays.

217. By Colby Canuk on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Oh come on now, don’t ya know?

A lot of us Canuks had to play our Pop-Warner football games in the fall up nort of the 58th parallel, ya know – with a north breeze blowing at a gentle but sustained 55 Kilometers Per Hour off the polar ice cap just a few kilometers up da ice road, and that was after we had to shovel tree feet of snow off our football field / hockey rink.

Our coaches toughened up us 10 year olds by making us wear only our helmet, shoulder pads, jock strap, cup, socks and cletes to keep warm during practices.

At half time we went into the igloo just to cool down!

Ya, I tell ya – dos were da days, ya! When men were men and so were the boys!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

218. By mr smiff on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Lol Colby. With that, I’m out. Laters.

219. By Zedhead on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I can’t figure out why they didn’t thaw the field????

We do it all the time on construction sites. If They would have set up Ground Thaw Machines up on We/Thurs, the field would have been thawed by Sat/ Sun.

The Front Office is totally dropping the ball on this one. There should be a major media push for a New Stadium also.

220. By B-Pro on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

This will be a boring game to watch. Players on both sides are all ready crying about conditions of field and weather during the game. Our viks won’t score more then 10 points. O-line is still a disaster, Hutch is doubtful and Peterson is not 100% and probably will have similar #s like in Giants game because the Bears will put extra guys in box and force Webb to win with his arm. And as I stated before we have nothing to play for and the Bears do. I don’t even know if our viks are even playing for PRIDE!!!!!!!

221. By B-Pro on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

MR SMIFF, We will not have a sniff at cowher. Yesterday on ESPN he was stated saying he is ready to come back and coach in 2011. The only teams he stated he would consider was Giants,Dolphins and Texans.

222. By steveo on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

These cry-baby coddled athletes should just quit if they are so afraid of being hurt. I watched the UMD/NW Missouri State Div. II national semifinal game a week ago on Saturday that was played in Duluth on a frozen artificial turf stadium with a -14 wind chill and did not hear any complaints from any players or coaches. Ziggy, if you want to know why these dumb a$$ players under-perform you need look no further than the attitude of players such as leber and klewe. Time to fire the whiners and rebuild a team around a core of players with the right attitude. I will not attend another game with klewe on the roster.

223. By DRS on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Would be nice to see Tebow playing for the Vikings next year, we need better O&D-lines next year to make it easier on the QB. Let’s get a good Draft, and free agency done next year. Go Vikings and win! I hope the Vikings playing in this game asked the old Vikings how they played in such conditions.

224. By GOLDVIKE on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

GO WEBB!!!

225. By SmileyStar on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

The safety issue of the field sounds more like a cover up of the real issue facing the Bears and Kluwe!! Sub-zero windchills!! I think they are afraid they might freeze before the field does.

GO JOE!!!

226. By LosAngelesVikings on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Zygi….bring the team to sunny Los Angeles…we’ll build you a new stadium…

227. By Da Bears on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Same ole same ole Vike Queens….losers…..Go Bears!

228. By Ricefield on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Da B’ums,

We’ll see tonight, won’t we?

Lost Angles,

You’re just mad St. Louis took your Rams and made them Super Bowl Champs the first year they leave. HA HA HA!!!

GO VIKINGS!!!

229. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Shawn,

I attempted to say that your theory of an 85 or better qb rating had flaws.

wis head jumped in and said I was an idiot for suggesting the hall of fame qbs with a lower rating than that didn’t count because they played in a different era.

Obviously I know conditions and rules have changed the passer ratings.

230. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I was trying to show that there are other things to consider in a qb besides passer rating.

Can you see an NFL coach saying, “He really throws the ball well, I wonder what his passing rating is?”

231. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

WIsHead got to me with his remark:

“I won’t go back and look at your blogs” or words to that effect.

IF YOU WON’T GO BACK, THEN YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY!!!

232. By Ricefield on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Frederick Jones,

I want to apologize again, for my part in that. I’m sorry.

Still cool?

233. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

RICE,

Yes, thank you.

I think I expect too much from this blog.

At least the greatest front four of all-time Gary Larson, Jim Marshall, Alan Page, and Carl Eller made the Vikings 50 year team. “Meet at the Quarterback”

234. By Packer Fan on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

The field is fine , Like the old days again riain or snow or both The mud and the blood.THATS FOOTBALL——-” HERE WE GO” !

235. By Ricefield on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

The only name I recognize is Jim Marshall. Didn’t he play somewhere else too?

236. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Jim Marshall started out in Cleveland where there was racial prejudice against him, although he would never admit it!!!

Alan Page would have been great at any position. He sometimes was called “offsides” because he was in the backfield before the QB got the ball (or so it seemed).

Gary Larson was the glue that kept the front four together. He was the run stopper, and got many of his sacks after the other 3 men flushed out the QB.

Carl Eller, the original head-slapping DE (along with Deacon Jones of the Rams)
    Eller was also known for his speed.

All four made the Pro Bowl in the same year, one time. Probably 1969

237. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I think they are the only front four to make it to the Pro Bowl in the same year.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and name the other front four.

238. By Ricefield on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Frederick.

239. By Titus on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Those were the Purple People Eaters.

240. By FormerHuskerVikingFan on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre must be shaking his head to be on the same team as these girls. Favre is cut from the same cloth as the original Minnesota Vikings, not the sissies he now shares a locker room with. Brett should have his own locker room and they can turn the one they have now into a “powder and pamper” room for all the kiddie players.

For the first time in my life I am questioning my continued interest in the NFL if this is what it has come to. And I am definitely questioning my previously unfailing support of the Minnesota Vikings since I drew my first breath in February 1969 at St. Mary’s Hospital in Minneapolis, MN.

Would the “Purple People Eaters” have complained like this? NO! They didn’t! They just went out and did it and had fun.

The complaints by these “softball” players is unfortunately a larger indicative of the social progression of a late stage tertiary power – America is clearly on the downward slide to “Has-been”.

This is the end product of the coddling of American children for the past thirty years. This is the end product when they reach “adult hood”.

Having played college ball on the harsh high plains at K-State, I would’ve thought Ben Leber had a decent sized pair…….apparently not.

For the first time in my life I feel my support of the Minnesota Vikings disappearing. They might as well move to L.A. for all I care now. Heck, they better move to Mexico City for the sake of these sissy boys.

I am really sorry that Brett Favre had to be associated with this group. I can’t believe I am seriously considering donating my Vikings gear to charity and going out and buying Green Bay Packer gear.

241. By lolvikingsfans on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

FormerHuskerVikingFan, are you a woman?

You’re the most overdramatic person I’ve ever seen in my life. Get over it.

242. By FormerHuskerVikingFan on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

LolVikingsFans: How old are you? About 25? Figures.

243. By LAVIKINGFAN2 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Move the team to L.A.. already! And change the name to ‘Sparkles’.

244. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t know Jim Marshall once played in Cleveland. I wasn’t a fan who followed the Vikes until around 74 and I never remember Larson, but every long term Vike fan remembers him. Marshall, Eller, Page, and the backup was “Benchwarmer” Bob Lurtsema. The Vikes should almost do something tonight to recognize the positive work Lurtsema has done in the community over the years. When the expansion draft came up, he was claimed by the Seattle Seahawks. Many a Viking fan hated to see him go, and he wasn’t a starter.

245. By Arrow86 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

FHVF: I don’t put a lot of credibility in a punter giving the field condition report. Especially Kluwe who is not the Jack Tatum of punters. Leber hasn’t done much to impress me this season, and he’s maybe getting an excuse ready for his subpar play. I don’t like the negative talk, but if Favre is all in, or trying to be, that will motivate some of his teammates. He’s a frontline guy, not a foxhole guy. A.P. is dinged, but has had some huge games against the Bears. It has been a tough year. If your a true fan, you’ll bounce back around August. In the meantime, lighten up Francis!

2. Dec 19, 2010: Frazier Feeling Confident About Conditions At TCF Bank Stadium | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Dec 19, 2010: Football Fan Site » An ‘unplayable’ field at TCF Bank Stadium
  4. Dec 20, 2010: An ‘unplayable’ field at TCF Bank Stadium | Green Bay Packers NFL Football News
  5. Dec 20, 2010: Vikings, Bears take it outside | First Up