Player Safety At TCF Bank Stadium “Should Not Be An Issue”

Posted by cjsiewert on December 16, 2010 – 3:06 pm

Despite concerns on whether or not TCF Bank Stadium will be ready for Monday night’s game against the Chicago Bears, and reports that the field is frozen, Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier alleviated concerns on player safety regarding the playing surface during his Thursday press conference.

“From everything that I’ve been told, player safety should not be an issue,” Frazier mentioned. “They’re doing everything possible to assure us that that’s not going to be an issue and that’s what we’re believing. We’ll get a chance to go through a walk-through on Sunday or Saturday as a team. That’s what we’re looking forward to and our guys can get comfortable with it.”

Frazier also mentioned that he has talked with his players about the safety issue, echoing his statements towards the media.

“I have talked to our players about that fact and just assured them that the league is making sure that safety will not be an issue,” Frazier reiterated. “That they can approach this with great confidence and go out and just perform and play the way they want to play and I have confidence that part of it will not be an issue.”

The Vikings spent their first 21 seasons as a franchise playing outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium and will be doing the same for the first time in 29 years to the day on Monday night. The matchup against the Bears will feature a celebration of the franchise’s 50 seasons, with the “50 Greatest Vikings” to be honored at halftime. Many of the former Vikings players that will be honored on Monday night played in freezing-cold conditions late in the season at the old Met and it will fitting that their recognition will take place in the same conditions that they became accustom to over their careers in Minnesota.

Vikings QB Brett Favre acknowledged that he, too, along with former Vikings that played at the old Met, had to adapt to such conditions and that the question of player safety may been seen as an after-thought to the “50 Greatest Vikings.”

“These older guys that will be back this week will laugh at that question,” Favre said.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 65 Comments »

65 Responses to “Player Safety At TCF Bank Stadium “Should Not Be An Issue””

1. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Frazier is confident that at least the field will be ready. The team may be a different matter but Favre and Frazier both seemed confident on that point too.

So….

GO VIKINGS!!!

GOOD LUCK WEBB!!!

2. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I have a feeling we will be in Atlanta.

3. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Really?

Dang, I really oughta try paying more attention, Titus.

Why Atlanta?

4. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I just visited the nflnetwork site and see that the Bears are concerned about player safety. Do you think they will complain loud enough that the NFL will move the game?

I mean if it is as dangerous as the Bears are saying, should we be concerned about injuries too?

In the pressers, Frazier didn’t think it is an issue but I don’t want Webb or the guy they just signed whose name I can’t recall right now or Peterson hurt because the field is unsafe.

Sheesh, now I’m getting worried.

Not to mention losing homefield advantage again.

5. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

To me, it sounds like a shoemaker job (sorry, just an old saying– if you work at DSW, nothing meant by it). Putting heated coils on the ground, then covering with a tarp– I hope that tarp is secure. No heat in the bathrooms? Pipes bursting in air will be the anthem. Then the logistics of the camera crews– I just don’t see it happening. I hope I am wrong.

6. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

The Bears don’t want to play?

That don’t NOT sound bad to me!

7. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

If we can send a man to the moon, this might be possible!

8. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

If Hutchinson and Harvin play, with the men we had last week @ home, winning is a 60-40 proposition.

9. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

“If you believe, they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.”

10. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

It looks like we will play at TCF Stadium. NFL network says it’s official. But when I watched that video I noticed a large portion of the seats are benches with no back — oh people are going to be mad

11. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Fred, some folks say we did not go to the moon.

12. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Favre hasn’t lost his sense of humor.

A reporter at the presser asked Favre if Webb had asked him about playing in the cold.

“Yeah. I told him once you start playing, you barely feel it.” Then he made a face like holding back a laugh.

LOL

13. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Concerning the seating,

I imagine there might be some initial complaints but once the game starts they’ll be glad there aren’t seats keeping them huddling together to keep warm.

14. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Edit:…keeping them FROM huddling…

15. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Like Penguins, Ricefield, just like penguins.

16. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

LOL Titus.

17. By Tim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

does any body think the vikings should either make toby gerhart a fullback or that we should try to draft one in the later rounds

18. By Tim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

i dont think tahi is a very good fullback

19. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree about Tahi but I’m not sure about Gerhart. He’s talented, no doubt though. With the way things have been going though, it’s possible we might use him as tradebait.

20. By Tim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

hey ricefield thanks for your opinion i think i spelled that right.

21. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Let me explain that last comment,

I would love to keep Gerhart. He has a lot of potential and could mature into an exceptional 3rd down back. The problem I see is we need to strengthen our offensive line.

A scenario that I can see playing out is possibly trading Gerhart for a draft pick or potentially a good guard or tackle.

But like I said, the kid is going to be good so if we keep him, I’ll be more than pleased.

22. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

You’re welcome, Tim.

23. By Tim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

i agree with you ricefield i think we do need to strengthen our Oline first.

24. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

You know, now that I think about it. Gerhart might be the way we get pick back we lost when we got Moss.

Didn’t we give up a third round pick for Moss? Gerhart might be worth that or more to the right team.

25. By Pete on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I am glad there will be a home game. Cause my Wife, 2 kids and I are flying in from Colorado to watch the game. We bought tickets in August. If I knew we had to stand outside in the cold from 4 PM on, we would have made the decision to go somewhere else on vacation.

My kids are like 30 and 40 lbs. I hope they can handle the weather from 4 PM to 10 PM. 3 or 4 hours would be one thing, but this is getting worse when they tell me I will be wasting my flights if I don’t stand out in the cold from 4 PM to guarantee a spot.

For me, no problem. Kids are another thing. But I did not spend over 2000 on flights to skip.

26. By SmileyStar on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of Randy Moss, will he be honored as one of the 50 greatest Vikings?

27. By SmileyStar on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Pete – stock up on the hand warmers and bring a couple thermuses full of hot chocolate to keep the little ones warm .

28. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Smiley,

No outside food or beverages will be allowed. At least that’s what it says in the article about the way tickets will be handled.

29. By wisconsinvikesfan on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Dose anybody think we could get some strong line men with the draft chioces we have now?
    AP isn’t going to be the best forever, we may need Gerhart for a while.

30. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

@wisconsinvikesfan … I honestly think Chilly built our line more for run blocking except we could never get a lead this year to run …

31. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Hats are essential for warmth– keep those kids heads warm, feet and hands– they should be okay–

32. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

That 15-1 1998 team had a great O line– we could score at will.

33. By Morley on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

As a Vikings fan who goes back to the Met Stadium days, it is almost painful to hear the likes of Ben Lieber and Visanthe Shiancoe moaning about the field conditions and whining that they won’t have a home field advantage when they play the Bears Monday night. This team’s reputation was built on its ability to play football in winter conditions. I think it would be wise of Leslie Frazier to call in Bud Grant to talk to the team and get them into a better frame of mind before Monday.

34. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

wisconsinvikesfan,

I don’t know. I was just speculating. What I do know we will need a veteran on the line to guide any rookies we pick up. The question is who do we keep on the line we have?

We had a lot of injuries on the line this year but I don’t know if that means we are aging or just had bad luck.

What I do know is building an O-line from scratch is almost unheard of.

35. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

@Titus

Okay, I gotta call you out.

Who said we didn’t go to the moon, and why wasn’t it a national expose’ for 3 weeks on CNN?

or is it just from fools who say that Edison didn’t invent the light bulb, it was his associates???????!!!!!

In the last 5 years there has been a movement to re-create history, and really glorify the current authors.

Like I said before here: “YOU CAN THINK ANYTHING”

36. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Or God is really dog

37. By Frederick Jones on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Morley that would be a great idea to call in Grant to tell his eskimo pipeline story!!!!

38. By paul on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Some where Childress is sitting back, staring at his T.C.F. bank statement with $12 million in his account and smiling..

Wear your long underware and don’t forget your seat cushion.

GO VIKES, the Pack needs your help..

39. By Pete on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

We are buying Ski Masks, Hats, Long john underpants and shirts, new gloves. The works. I would rather spend money and keep at the game then have to leave at half time.

Vikings 27 to Bears 13

SKOL VIKINGS put on your A Game. This is the last home game. Maybe the last game outside in snow. And a Big Divisional Rival.

40. By mr smiff on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Correct on the 1998 o-line, Titus. That year, Randall Cunningham went from being Falcons-era Michael Vick to Dan Marino. The passing game was crazy!

41. By CaribooBill on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

We traded Tremaine Johnson (have I got the right name?) to Cleveland for a 3rd round pick, so we should still have a 3rd round pick. Too bad we wasted Moss’ pick, though. I have a totally unsubstantiated theory: Childress was terminated “for cause” because of his Moss action, also for spilling the beans that the NFL had said that we were jobbed in the Packers game. One can only hope it’s true.

42. By Titus on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Fred– there has been a movement for some time saying the moon landing was a hoax– I don’t buy it, but they have some interesting arguments. I do agree with you, though, there is a revisionist movement, which is okay to a point– most of history has been written in the past century from a biased position of the one in power– but the problem in the revisions is exactly the same as the original versions– they all have agendas, so there are new biases– omg, what am I writing about on a football blog– Fred– stop me.

43. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

What happened to nova and BSAS?

44. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Shawn,

Someone stole BSAS screenname and posted under it and he said he wouldn’t be back.

I have no idea where Nova is but he was around yesterday.

45. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Thanx Rice

46. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

look like mike singleterry might get fired in san fran … maybe because of his connection with leslie frazier ( 85 bears) he will be our new defensive coordinator next year

47. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Shawn,

Hmmm, or it could be the other way around meaning Singleterry will be head coach and Leslie return to defensive coordinator.

I’m might be okay either way but Singleterry suffers from foot-in-mouth so it might be better your way.

48. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

lol rice , he does doesnt he =)

Ive been diagnosed with foot in mouth , its why im so compassionate towards Moss

49. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Lol,

We all do at some point, Shawn. I try to avoid it whenever possible but sometimes, well…you know.

50. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

One thing I like about Singleterry is his willingness to let a player have it if he isn’t putting out the effort that he expects.

Players don’t like that though and don’t always respond to it but it would have been nice to some of it in the Giants game. Not much, mind you, but a little fire from somebody was needed.

51. By Shawn on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

yea i love that about him as well , it would be nice to have that passion on our defense

52. By arrow86 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: The Bears are the last team the NFL should listen too about player safety. They turn their own field into a loose turf quagmyre and they are going to complain about a sport turf field. Once all snow is removed a heat blanket is placed on the field, to warm it. It will be a better field than the fields half the teams will play on Sunday. Now, we just have to follow T.O.’s advice, ‘You’d better get your popcorn ready!”

53. By arrow86 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Guys: I loved Moss, when he played at an elite level. I could put up with his foot in mouth a lot easier when he was at an elite level. He’s not an inexperienced rookie anymore and should have learned by now. One thing about it. The league should leave Moss out of interviews. Steve Carlton, who won 326 games as a major league pitcher hated talking with reporters, and rarely did any interviews. They want to interview him, because his foot in mouth is terrible for his team, but great for selling papers!

54. By Ricefield on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

You know, Arrow, I forgot about that. Which reminds me, we could have won that game in Chicago if it weren’t for that.

Recievers couldn’t get any traction and kept slipping which led to some of those interceptions. Favre caught holy he!! for that game but from what I saw he put the ball right where it should have been but his recievers kept falling down.

It’s payback time!!!

GO VIKINGS!!!

55. By arrow86 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

With the improved fabrics and warming products, the players in Monday nights game will also be much safer than those that played in the days of the “Old Met”. Wear the throwback jersey’s, and solid black shoes out of respect and honor to Coach Bud Grant!

56. By Ricefield on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I tell you what, I wish I had always been a Vikings fan. I mean I was just a kid back in the days of the “Old Met” (literally 6 years old when the last game was played) but the respect you guys have for your team is great.

Heck, back then the old St. Louis Cardinals weren’t all that great (from what I remember) and I can only name Dan Dierdorf (heck of a player) from those teams which is why I guess we lost them to Arizona.

Anyway, I imagine the Minnesota Vikings were something else back then.

57. By arrow86 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: Your quarterback was Hart. You had a very good running back named Terry Metcalf, whose son Eric played many years in the league. You had Conrad Dobler, that would maim a popcorn vendor if they put too much salt or butter on it. The Cardinals had some talent, and some characters. When Coach Grant led the Vikings, my belief is, that he used a great deal of psychology. More of a mind over matter philosophy toward being mentally prepared. At the Old Met, regardless of temperature, the Vikings were not allowed heaters on their sideline. He insisted all shoes worn were solid black. So everyone looked uniform. He did not believe much in end zone celebrations. I also felt, he always spoke publicly about where the teams play broke down, but never spoke publicly about his player’s individual mistakes.

58. By arrow86 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

RIcefield: For all the critics of the Vikings front office. For the most part we have always had ownership that has made the effort to improve the team. The Bidwell family of St.Louis and now in Pheonix, always did things on the cheap. Ken Wisenhunt has been a huge reason for their success in recent years, but they don’t sign any of their free-agents. Too much money. Whether it was Max WInter and Mike Lynn, Red McCombs started to build something, but then turned the team into a chop shop when he couldn’t move them. The Wilf’s aside from this season, have built this franchise up. Injuries, and play on the field have made this a disappointing season. It’s tough when you are always above .500 to keep a franchise at a high level. You draft in the lower half of each round. Your fans scream and yell when you let one of their favorites leave the team. But it’s the only way you can get higher draft picks, stay young, and compete.

59. By Ricefield on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Arrow,

Agreed.

On a related note, remembering my younger years now. The ownership in St. Louis also wanted a new stadium. Back then the football and baseball Cardinals shared Busch Stadium II. The city voted against it and the following year they moved to Arizona.

Something for Vikings fans to think about.

60. By arrow86 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: Point well taken. But, as I remember things. The Cardinal football team wasn’t selling out the stadium. The years and years of losing had eroded the fan base. THe Viking fans have always supported this team. When push comes to shove, people have to tell their lawmakers, what they are willing to pay to keep this team. Their are so many revenues that are generated in Minnesota from this franchise, if people saw, and understood the economics, they might understand the need. Right now, in our country, it’s become a part of the culture to whine about taxes. Once a team is gone, you still get to build a stadium, for the team that will come to town and bless you with 10 losing seasons!

61. By arrow86 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: You mentioned wishing you’d always been a Viking fan. If your not as familiar as you’d like with Viking history, one player I would mention for you to research on would be Alan Page. Page was very small for his position. He trained and ran in marathons at one point. He finished his career with the Bears, but came back to Minnesota and is a Supreme Court Justice. He also plays his tuba in front of his home when the Minneapolis marathon goes past his house. He is among the classiest of all professional athletes I’ve ever known about. Randall McDaniel who is now in the Hall of Fame, now teaches students with learning disabilities. Earlier you mentioned some funny people who motivate. You’ll want to look up “Benchwarmer” Bob Lurtsema from the 70’s Vikings. A true fan favorite. He spoke at our high school football celebration when I was a kid, and I teared up from laughter as he told stories. This is a time to reflect on our heritage as Viking fans, and these reflections from fans are always the most positive posts to read!

62. By Ricefield on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Oh man, you’re bringing back some memories. Yeah I remember we had game blackouts because not enough tickets were sold.

I remember it surprising people that the Rams sold out their first game. We had given people the impression that we were a baseball town and couldn’t support a football team.

One Superbowl later, the dome is sold out every home opener.

Missouri is the “Show Me” State for a reason. We’re not exactly fair weather fans because our support of the baseball team proves that wrong but when it comes to football, the team has to at least be competitive. We realize we won’t win every game but if they play every game like they can win. Well, the fans appreciate the effort.

You’re right though years of losing records and poor management got the fans in St. Louis thinking that they didn’t want to win.

Sad but true. We abandoned them.

63. By ndgamer on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I personally think this ticket arrangement is ridiculous. We have been season ticket holders for years, with great seats, and now we have to sit in line for hrs to “try and get a seat” with no guarantee of evening getting in! They should have had a system with ticket holders of every ten rows or something to atleast give the long term ticket holders a chance at a decent seat.

How are they going to stop people from forming lines before 4pm? What about the people that are traveling hours to go and cant get there until atleast 4? Anyone have any word on how that will work, and on exactly how many lower level seats there are in comparrison to the dome?

64. By JENLOW on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

any news about gruden or cower?

2. Dec 16, 2010: Player Safety At TCF Bank Stadium “Should Not Be An Issue” | Vikings Stop Blog