Tarkenton To Attend Vikings Celebration Of 50 Seasons

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 8, 2010 – 2:28 pm

The 2010 season constitutes the Vikings 50th in franchise history and the organization has embarked on a season-long celebration to honor past achievements, unforgettable teams, great players and a deep-rooted football tradition that is enjoyed by a passionate fan base.

The pinnacle of this celebration will occur on Sunday night, December 19 when the Vikings will host an event at the Minneapolis Convention Center to celebrate the stories, the heroes and the moments that defined a football team and created a shared Minnesota passion.

As part of the event, the organization will unveil its 50 Greatest Vikings players of all time, as well as honor Vikings contributors throughout the 50-year history. One of the greatest Vikings players of all time is QB Fran Tarkenton, and the Hall of Famer has committed to attending the event.

Fran Tarkenton

The Vikings anticipate tremendous attendance among its alumni, with players such as Anthony Carter, Cris Carter, Chris Doleman, Tommy Kramer, Jim Marshall, Randall McDaniel, Ahmad Rashad and Robert Smith all confirming their participation.

You can be there, too. A limited number of tickets are available for this exclusive event.

To purchase your tickets, click here.

Tarkenton was a 3rd round selection by the Vikings in the organization’s first draft in 1961. He spent 13 seasons with the Vikings (1961-66, 1972-78), guiding the team to 3 Super Bowl appearances (VIII, IX and XI) and 6 consecutive NFC Central championships.

A 4-time All-NFL selection with 9 Pro Bowl appearances, Tarkenton finished his career as the Vikings all-time leader in completions (2,635) attempts (4,569), passing yards (33,098) and TDs (239). The 1975 NFL Most Valuable Player was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on August 2, 1986 and was enshrined into the Vikings Ring of Honor on September 9, 1998.

Tags:

35 Responses to “Tarkenton To Attend Vikings Celebration Of 50 Seasons”

1. By Paul S on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Favre vs Tarkenton in the parking lot afterwards.

2. By david lauzier on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

tarkenton appearing would be ok. will alan page the greatest viking ever be there? also, the dark cloud that hangs over this franchise will never be lifted until they move back outside in minnesota

3. By kweaver on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

tarkenton actually coming? oh my god, the world is ending

4. By Justin on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

$50 for the event isn’t bad.

5. By kweaver on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

nah, it isn’t. i’d go f i had transportation

6. By kweaver on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

if*

7. By Vikeman1 on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Everyone knows Fran is the far superior Qb over Beth Farve.

8. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

“Ah hopp ta ply, an ah hopp ta ply at a hiii level.”

One thing ya gotta believe, that ol’ choctaw indian is a great warrior! ! !

9. By xvike on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

hey do u guys remember that article that fran wrote about childress’ decision to go and pursue favre??? he said something like that it was a bad idea and it would hurt the team and would jeopardize chilly’s job as head coach?? unfortunately he was right…..

10. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

And according to Terry Bradshaw, the young man Favre is the great qb of all time.

11. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

xvike, there was also a couple you tube.com videos by Narf Notnikrat and his view of Favre’s arrival as a Viking.

12. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

And I also hope that Nala Egap shows up at this 50 year Viking Celebration.

I’ve seen Relle Lrac at the local supermarket at least twice recently. He may show up at the celebration as well.

13. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

What is Frederick’s problem? Who are Narf Notnikrat, Nala Egap, and Relle Lrac?

14. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

“Favre is the greatest QB of all time.” Terry Bradshaw

15. By Frederick Jones on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m willing to bet they have some great beer commercials with Favre as the focal point, like Ditka, Mora, Johnson, Green, and etc.

16. By Bigfan1 on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully Tarkenton will behave himself. Whoever said Tarkenton was a better QB than Favre should get their eyes examined because the stats are very clear, just listen to one of the greatest Terry Bradshaw who won “how many Super Bowls” he says Favre is the best. Bradshaw was the ironman QB of the 70s. A few weeks ago commentators and analysts were saying Peyton Manning may be up for MVP again now they’re saying what happened with four interceptions against Dallas. The point is every great player can have off seasons, but stats don’t lie. Favre is scary when he’s on his game like no other QB that I’ve ever seen.

17. By patrick on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

come on narf notnikrat ,larc relle and nala egap is fran carl and alan spelled backwards .nice joke

18. By patrick on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

farve got the super bowl win but fran was the most exiting qb i have and will ever have the pleasure of watching.to see those defensive lineman chase him and almot never catch him was amazing.in todays game you will never see another qb like fran .he ran to keep the play alive to find the open guy,not to gain yards.he will always be my favorite viking of all time .and i will see him at the 50 greatest vikings celebration and hope he is #1.

19. By vikeman on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

#44 is close but Fran the man is #1

20. By martin on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

hopefully we will have a strong game vs the giants…..if chicago,green bay and new orleans win sunday we are elliminated from the playoffs…

21. By vikeman on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to say that I grew up in Mankato MN and my grandfather raised me as a die hard Viking fan. I moved away to serve my country for 20 plus years. I am a fan for myself first and grandfather second to let him see his enjoyment of the vikes carry on. I think alot of people need to step back and see the big picture right now and that is a new stadium first so our children can enjoy what we have been gifted to see in our life time!!! Our Vikes have always been in the thick of things pretty much all of my life and I am over 40. As fans we can bicker over numbers but if they are not the Minnesota Vikings than I guess I lose another team in my life time like the MN Stars. It is a travesty just to think about it. I have 2 sons that are die hard fans that I lost in a divorce but still believe in me and the Vikes. Please think about the future and not the now in this case.

22. By Larry on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

This is my 39th season as a loyal Vikes fan and, the best years in my humble opinion was watching that purple gang from the north, those purple people eaters. The Vikes need to go back outdoors. May God grant them another 50 years.

23. By wisvikefan4 on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I used to really like Tark back in the day and respect his play on the field, but I have NO USE for the little rat after last year. He just sounds like a bitter old has-been, envious of everyone else. It’s sad what he’s become, on a personal hate rant against Favre. Get over it already and have some class.

24. By mark messore on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

….are you HIGH??…. Tranny TarKenTon couldn’t carry Brett Favre’s Jockstrap

25. By joe on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Chuck Foreman……….#44

26. By joe on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

how bout the best center- Kirk Lowdermilk

27. By ugly on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

viks no#88 no#10 no#44 are the best GO VIKES

28. By vikadan on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

At least tarkington could scramble, that was awsome! those games were the best ever, even when the receivers were wrapped up Fran would scramble and things would open up again making big plays! he is one of the best in my book.

29. By Conner on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Ugly: There is an issue though. #28. I think it should be retired to honor Ahmad Rashad, but I have a feeling another #28 is going to need his jersey retired as well.

30. By Conner on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

How about Jarvis Redwine??? Okay, I’m just mess’n with ya!

31. By brian rypien on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

why would we even be talking about favre, yes, hes had an awesome career, possibly the greatest by any qb, but fran is the man in minny. I’m from canada and started charting the vikings as my team when I was 14 years old back in the late 70’s only because of one person….the most exciting qb I’ve ever seen dawn the purple and that was fran tarkenton…my Idol, we’ve had good qb’s come and go, but never one that could fill the shoes of mr T I’ll give this to Favre, hes definately the toughfest, I remeber one time playing the vikes back when he was a cheesehead, he dislocated his finger went to the sidelines had it reefed back in and went out the next set of downs and drove down the field to score, once a cheesehead allways a cheesehead!

32. By brian rypien on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

oh and I have to give my vote for all time defensive player……….Scott Stud-well……..the name says it all S..T..U..D..

33. By Lisa C on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I used to like Tarkenton, but since Fvare joined the Vikes, he has come across as bitter and jealous…not very attractive. He was a good QB, but ………

2. Dec 8, 2010: Tarkenton To Attend Vikings Celebration Of 50 Seasons | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Dec 8, 2010: Tarkenton To Attend Vikings Celebration Of 50 Seasons « Fantasy Football League Insights