Vikings Tweak Roster; Add RB Lorenzo Booker

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 7, 2010 – 3:07 pm

The Vikings made a series of roster moves on Tuesday, with the most significant being the addition of RB Lorenzo Booker. Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier said on Monday that the team was looking to sign Booker and they are hopeful the former Florida State University standout can contribute immediately, perhaps on 3rd-down situations.

To make room for Booker, the Vikings waived/injured RB Albert Young and placed him on Injured Reserve. In addition to those moves, the Vikings also waived C Adrian Martinez from the practice squad and added QB R.J. Archer to the practice. Archer was with the Vikings during the offseason program last summer.

Booker was selected in the 3rd round of the 2007 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. He spent the 2008 season with the Philadelphia Eagles and was a member of the UFL’s Hartford Colonials in 2010.

Note: An earlier version of this entry noted that Albert Young had been waived. He’s actually been waived/injured and has been placed on Injured Reserve.

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Vikings Tweak Roster; Add RB Lorenzo Booker”

1. By Habib on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Why?

2. By DRS 1962 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

R.J. Archer, will he be our next QB? Why did we not get Booker sooner?

3. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Just watched Rex Ryan’s post-game presser. He said he would go right back on the field and “stick his chin out again”. Which chin did he mean? He has more chins than the Hong Kong phone book!

4. By Dennis on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Probably because Albert Young wasn’t any good. Has he ever run for more than 2 yards?

5. By mr smiff on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova, may you never lose your sense of humor.

6. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Mr Smiff, that would be a terrible way to go.

7. By travish88 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Did Young get hurt or did they do that just to make room?

8. By tshot on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Waived to make room. Soild move, too. Young was pedestrian. Now all we need to do is cut Tahi, move Gerhart to FB and take a shot at a high up-side RB late in the draft, post draft UDFA list or off season FA.

Can we find another TE, please? too much to ask for?

9. By Dave on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

What’s the story on Booker? I don’t know anything about this guy?

10. By Justin on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Is Booker any good?

11. By Skol_Vikings on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Its just a depth issue guys. QB archer is there just in case, because Favre is so beat up and I believe Webb pulled a hammy. If something goes wrong, all you have is T-Jack. Archer is their just in case Favre and Webb are hurt.

12. By Skol_Vikings on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Booker is again, just another guy they’re adding to try and shore up depth. Albert Young, although an ok RB, isn’t a great blocker IMO, and although Toby’s been ok, they probably want another 5-8 down a game kinda guy.

13. By paul on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Any guy named Booker can play.

14. By Robins on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Well, I hope Brett will be able to play. Why doesn’t our oline protect him? If I was Brett I would be furious at them but he never seems to get mad at them. Ms Brady always yells at his guys if he gets hit. Booker? Archer? I hope they are young, strong and great. How is Brett and Percy and Adrian doing with their injuries? I do like the fact that the Vikings aren’t in the news everyday like they were with Childress. Please win again guys!

15. By Stan on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Booker is well known to those of us in Southern California as he still holds records from high School. Booker was always under utilized in Miami and Philadelphia. When you get Lorenzo out in space he can be a great playmaker. Has great speed and great hands. A very good addition for the Vikings.

16. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

My question would be, at this stage in the season, can anyone added really be of much benefit to the team other than to provide someone in an emergency or to play on special teams. Won’t it take a while to get used to the playbook and verbage? If XVike or someone with some experience on these things knows, hollar back!

17. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stan I appreciate the scouting report. Not being sarcastic, but how does someone with those skill sets you mention wind up being available at this point in a season? Has he had an injury he’s recovered from??

18. By Chaz on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Booker was a stud at Florida State, he is only 26, around 6ft. He has only carried the ball 50 times, he did have 30 catches his rookie season though.

19. By Scott on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know what happened to Young. I don’t think he was that bad – a little above average. I think better than Ian Johnson, however.
    Regarding Tahi, I completely agree with you. He doesn’t contribute much at all. I think Dugan and Jimmy K. can contribute more at FB.
    I just hope this Booker guy is not another Ciatrick Fason. Anyone remember that dude? I don’t know who got it in their head back then that he was the goal-line pile driver, because he SUCKED!

20. By Frederick Jones on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Conner, I admit that I’m no expert. But I have been around, and seen alot of football. Most of the time these late season moves do not mean much. But you can catch a diamond in the rough this way. Look up the careers of Don Woods RB, and Terry Allen RB.

I could not tell you exactly what there storys were, but both came out of no where to get 1000 yards in a 14 game NFL season. I think both made the pro bowl.

21. By Frederick Jones on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Like they did with Moss, and Favre…late season additions can get a “package” of plays that they know. They can learn a few plays. I’m sure you have seen that this year with several guys.

It is a problem learning the plays of course, that’s why some QBs like to stick to a certain offense that they already know.

I’m sure I’m no xvike, but I enjoyed trying to answer the question.

22. By Frederick Jones on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I just made a bunch of errors on my second blog. It’s time to get to bed!!!

23. By Frederick Jones on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I meant the first blog!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Frederick: Excellent insights and I do remember Terry Allen #21. Boy Scott sure didn’t sugar coat his evaluation of Ciatric Fason did he? LOL

25. By Alex on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

What was the reason for getting a 4th RB we dont need one. I think we need to go and get a nether wideout. Coles was just released from the jets and he is a good receiver he would help us out and be good for our young receivers. So go and get him and in the off season get a nether one and get a new QB. Thats what needs to happen. So GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

26. By Robbnar on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Talking about Lorenzo being great in space, any chance he’s a punt returner? I think we underestimated the effects of losing Reynaud, it would be nice to get a spark in the punt return game.

27. By mr smiff on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Getting Coles isn’t a bad idea, Alex. In fact, it’s very good, considering Favre did work with him when he was with the Jets.

28. By Bruce on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Maybe this guy is similar to Chester Tayor as far as pass blocking and would be valuable in the pocket? Don’t know much about him but I haven’t seen any tape either. If Frazier did this to help Favre in picking up blitzers or lineman getting through, then thank you Frazier ;-)

29. By game cheat on Feb 6, 2014 | Reply

If some one needs expert view regarding blogging afterward i
    propose him/her to visit this web site, Keep up the nice job.

2. Dec 7, 2010: Vikings Tweak Roster; Add RB Lorenzo Booker | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Dec 7, 2010: Vikings Place Albert Young on IR | The Viking Age | A Minnesota Vikings blog
  4. Dec 7, 2010: Booker signing official; Young waived, placed on IR | Minnesota Sports Zone
  5. Dec 8, 2010: Vikings Officially Add Lorenzo Booker, Waive/Injured List for Albert Young « Purple Pants, Green Jersey