Rice’s Return To Form

Posted by cjsiewert on December 7, 2010 – 6:38 am

Not only was Sunday’s 24-point margin of victory over the Bills reminiscent of the Vikings 2009 campaign – four 24+ point wins, 1 in the playoffs – but so was the play of WR Sidney Rice.

Rice hauled in a game- and season-high 5 receptions for 105 yards and 2 TDs. The 100+ yard, multi-TD performance was his first since last year’s divisional playoff victory over the Dallas Cowboys where he posted 141 yards and 3 TDs on 6 receptions.

Credit backup QB Tarvaris Jackson for being able to come into the game in place of an injured Brett Favre and guide the Vikings offense to a scoring outburst – completing 15 of 22 passes for 187 yards and 2 TDs (both to Rice) – but if not for Rice, Jackson may have wound up with 0 TDs and another INT to add to his 3 on the day. Both of Rice’s TD receptions reminded us of his remarkable ability to make a play on the ball over or around a defender.

Rice’s first TD came at the 1:52 mark in the 1st quarter with Jackson airing out the 31-yard completion to the pylon at the front-right corner of the endzone. Rice leaped forward at the 5, reached around Bills CB Leodis McKelvin and grabbed the ball while falling into the endzone with possession just before S Donte Whitner could make a play. The play was initially ruled incomplete, but was eventually overturned for the TD after Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier’s challenge. If not for Rice’s incredible play on the ball in mid-flight, Jackson may have thrown an INT to either McKelvin or Whitner.

Sidney Rice

The second TD reception by Rice was just as impressive as his first. With Jackson rolling out to his right on a 2nd and goal attempt midway through the 2nd quarter, Rice cut an out-route to the right side of the endzone and made another leaping catch. Rice had to make a diving attempt for the ball and completed the reception by landing on his back to secure possession.

“After those first two games of kind of feeling his way, his confidence was extremely high going into this ball game and it showed in his play,” Frazier mentioned of Rice after Sunday’s victory. “Our hope going forward is that we’re going to see more of the Sidney Rice we saw a season ago because his confidence is high now.”

Buffalo boasted a top-10 passing defense heading into Sunday’s game, and now Rice and the Vikings will face the challenge of the NY Giants 2nd-ranked 192.8 passing yards allowed per game defense, while attempting to win their 2nd consecutive home game and 3rd overall under Frazier.

Just as Rice has shown his return to form with his impressive performance against the Bills, he’ll be looking for a return to form from his last appearance against the Giants. In last season’s regular season finale, Rice compiled 6 receptions for 112 yards and 2 TDs in a 44-7 blowout victory at Mall of America Field.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 94 Comments »

94 Responses to “Rice’s Return To Form”

1. By JD on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

it sure is nice to have him welcome back

2. By Bigfan1 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Sidney is a magical receiver making catches others only dream about. What an awesome game on Sunday. He is BACK!

3. By VikingsDx3 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Rice saved Jackson’s butt.

4. By Rich on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

You know Favre is itching to throw a deep ball to him one last time. Great
    player. I’d love to see the Vikes foul up the Giants and Bears playoff expectations.

5. By Robins on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I wish Sidney had his surgery after he got injured so he could have played the whole year. I believe if he played the whole season we would be going to the Super Bowl. Sidney is magnificent and makes the difference. Brett to Sidney….touchdown….was so much fun last year. Sidney…you blew it. You could have had the same thing this year. Now it is too late. Your magnificent catch saved Jackson from having a fourth interception.

6. By drew on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

People keep saying that Rice “saved” Jackson from another interception, but as Favre said many times last year….that pass is by design because they like to throw the ball up there and they like Rice’s chances of making a play. I give Jackson credit on the play for hitting Rice right in stride. Whether there would have been single or double coverage…Favre made the same kind of throw many times last year…because it’s a calculated gamble. They’re betting on the recievers ability to battle for the ball—and Rice is one of the best in those situations. He’s definitely a young, Moss-esque kinda big play maker. If the Vikes can hang on to them, Rice, Harvin, Peterson, Shiancoe…and Joe Webb can create thrills for Vikings fans for the next half-dozen years. Until Webb is ready…Jackson can be a competent NFL qiarterback. (remember, his performance on sunday came after getting very few of the first team reps at QB all week. in that light i thought he performed well—including on that particular play. if he hadn’t put it where he did, it WOULD have been an interception.)

7. By Stoney on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Robins, my feeling exactly, Rice should have had that surgery and been ready for the season. DREW , do you really think TJ is an NFL QB? He can’t read a defense, does not look off defenders, and is not accurate. I rooted for him when he came to the vikes, but he does not have “IT”.

8. By Adam on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Drew,
    I completely agree with you Drew! Even Peyton Manning needs good receivers. As QB your job is put the ball where the receiver has a chance to make a play on it. Jackson did that! That second TD was a good pass. He put the ball out in front where the DB’s couldn’t get to it and where Rice could. Now it wasn’t a perfect pass, but it was a good one. Jackson is not a super accurate passer, but with the talent around him I think he can be good enough to get the job done. We have a great running game we don’t need to rely on the pass so much. And with Jackson’s ability to create plays with his feet I think it will open up the deep ball and running lanes for AP and Toby. Keep in mind the Bills had the 10th ranked pass defense and Tjack has not played in awhile. Hopefully we get a chance to better evaluate him if Favre has to sit (unlikely though). I’m not saying tjack is the long term answer, but I think he deserves to start the rest of this season.

9. By VikingsDx3 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

True Drew, I suppose I was a bit overzealous with my critique of the situation & Jackson. The Vikes as a team produced. Which is all a fan can ask for.

10. By Adam on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stoney he was young when he first played, too young. He should have sat on the bench for at least 3 years. He was a division 2 guy. He deserves another shot. He won’t be great, but he could be good enough, at least for now.

11. By Snoose on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Rice has the best hands and focus of anyone in the NFL and that’s for sure. Moss isn’t in his leauge when it come to effort.

12. By Rick on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Common Rob woulda coulda shoulda I know how u feel trust me. Coach Frazier is getting our dignity back and now dealing with the Vikings is not going to be no day at the beach. GREAT JOB COACH (STILL PURPLE ALWAYS PURPLE)

13. By Yuiot on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I mean you guys don’t have faith in the Vikings or what??? Cause we can still win the wild card and talk this show to the Superbowl!!!!!!! And with Rice back even though i think he should have came back early we can win the rest of our games.And with the running game we have, we are unstoppable. we just have to get back into rhythm like we were last year. SKOLLLLL VIKINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I agree that Rice saved an interception but I also agree that TJ was pretty good with that pass. However, when he threw it it kind of floated out and allowed that second defensive player to also make a play on the ball. That catch was all Rice, in my opinion.

I wish he had had the surgery sooner so he could have been back long before now but as it is, I’m pretty happy he’s back.

That said, the entire team has stepped up their performance after Chilly was fired. I have a theory about that and I think it applies to the Cowboys too. The theory is whenever a team lets a coach go it sends a message to all the players that “you could be next”.

I think our guys are not only trying to get to at least get to a winning record but are also playing for contracts. In essence, I think Chilly was the sole reason we were losing. The team looked like they had given up and the coaching change lit a fire under their butts.

Well, its a theory anyway. Go Vikings!!!

15. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Edit: …Chilly was NOT the sole reason…

16. By VikingsFan_25 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

17. By VikingsFan_25 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I hate how everyones trashin Jackson. just look at all the stuff hes done wen he has played and you might all quit runnin ur mouths. with him as qb sunday we had the highest points of the whole season. Honestly how much worse can he play than favre. Brett is the WORST qb in football right now. Couple years ago wen Ferrote went down who won the last 5 games to even get us into the playoffs it was Jackson and after not having played all year. Hes as good as a qb can be for not handling that many snaps in the last couple years but wen he does play we usually win so keep that in mind next time

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield….I think you were correct the first time.

19. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks NovaScotiaVike. It’s always nice to be right. LOL

20. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Just watched Rex Ryan’s post-game presser. He said he would go right back on the field and “stick his chin out again”. Which chin did he mean? He has more chins than the Hong Kong phone book!

21. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

With the two catches Rice made Sunday, Moss would have been itching to outdo that. Moss’s stock and luck has really fallen on hard times.

22. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Rex Ryan talks a lot, but when his big butt gets beat, he’s anxious to take another licking. I don’t know what Sanchez’s QB rating was last night, but he was baited into a few picks.

23. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

those catches Rice made on Sunday were bittersweet for me. It was great to see Rice playing like that again, but it reminded me what we’ve been missing this whole season and it’s frustrating thinking what could have been. I guess I just have to get over it. it is good to have him back…hopefully more of that this Sunday.

24. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey Stephanie: I don’t think anyone will disagree with your thoughts on Rice. He’s really developed as a receiver from his rookie season to now. With his long layoff, I almost had forgotten how spectacular he can be as a player when he’s healthy.

25. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s a Tuesday night, but where did all the Viking fans go? We can’t all be dairy farmers who need to get up at 4:30 A.M. (Mr. Smiff, Nova, Shawn, Stephanie????)

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Tell me some good news, Stephanie! You have to be single by now!

27. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Wow! NoVA! You’re back!!! BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOO SKOL VIKING!

28. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m not a dairy farmer, but this two hour time difference sucks.

29. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The Doleman post doesn’t show a lot of love for the Viking/ Niner great. Only 2 posts, and that guy was dominant in his prime!

30. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The additions to the roster and deletions today don’t generate much buzz. Kind of a yawner post tonight.

31. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

No sign of BSNS and Mr. Smiff was on earlier, Stephanie 1 post on Rice here.

32. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

At this point I wouldn’t mind even some of Old School’s vitrial spew on here.

33. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings certainly have been blessed with defensive linemen over the years. Wish I could say the same about the secondary.

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie is just playing “hard to get” with me.

35. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff is probably out under a palm tree with a bottle of rum, can’t blame him there!

36. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova Vike: Remember Orlando Thomas? For some reason out of the clear blue today I remember Orlando Thomas. He seemed to put the wood to somepeople. Yeah, Stephanie is a good sport, has some great insights on football and a sense of humor to boot.

37. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Smiff is in paradise and we’re below zero here tonight. And that is Fahrenheit!!!!

38. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie said the other night that some girls don’t like sports. That’s like saying some men don’t give birth.

39. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The ones that do enjoy sports are few and far between, at least in N.S.

40. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Excellent analogy Nova! The worst thing is a gal who pretends to like or know sports. You know the ones who do in an instant!

41. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

In Nova Scotia is hockey as big as elsewhere in Canada? What’s the nearest N.H.L. team? I am not very knowledgable on the ins and outs of Canadian geography.

42. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

They are the ones that ask “when does the Zamboni come out?” at a football game.

43. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

sorry guys, don’t know if you’re still here. I was watching a special on WWII on the history channel with my husband…sorry Nova, still married! lol.

44. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yes it’s big here. The entire country is hockey crazy. Too many teams, the game is watered down IMO. Give me football(NFL) any day of the week.

45. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m looking at my atlas and it’s showing Halifax has about 360,000 people. Is fishing and canning one of the main industries?

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

WW11 is old news, Steph, now, back to us……..Conner, a little privacy, please!

47. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Fishing is big in the rural areas of the province. Halifax is a major seaport and university town. Tourism (especially from the U.S.) is big. With all the universities, Halifax is a serious party town.

48. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

so Nova Scotia is pretty far away! I didn’t realize it was that far east. I’ve been to Niagra Falls before, and driven through Canada (from Michigan) on the way to New York before, but I haven’t been to any other parts of Cananda.

49. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yay Stephanie! Welcome back, now we can talk some football, and I’ll quit giving Nova a geography test?

50. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

lol Conner! yeah, I was wondering what direction the converstation was going ;)

51. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’ll leave you two alone, but leave the blinds open, I’ll be back in 5 minutes!

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

If you live in Canada, live on either coast.

53. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I have to say it’s been pretty fun chatting on the blog with you guys! I don’t normally chat too much, but it’s cool getting to know other people online sometimes. although there are some crazy people out there! –no Nova, I’m not referring to you ;)

54. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

If you like lobster, it’s about $5 per lb. Of course, it’s free for you, Stephanie!

55. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I live in Wisconsin, so I’m actually close to Canada. I imagine it would be better to live on the coasts. can’t beat living by the water! I live on the Peninsula of Wisconsin so I’m surrounded by Lake Michigan on one side and Green Bay on the other. It’s pretty nice.

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

All my friends say I’m crazy, but in a good way.

57. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie: It’s like that Brad Paisley song, “So much cooler on line!” Everyone has a false name. Heck, my real name is Shawn BSNS NovaVike. I’m Scotch-Irish of course!

58. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Maybe I oughta introduce myself. I’m originally from St. Louis, MO so I’m more a baseball fan than football but that doesn’t mean that I don’t love football. I guess you could call me a fairweather fan because I followed the Rams for a while until they got rid of Kurt Warner. After that, the Rams lost their appeal to me.

I moved up here to be with the woman that later became my wife and she’s a huge Vikings fan, so I decided to follow them (no Sunday Night arguments for me thank you very much).

Anyway, for the last couple of seasons I have fallen in love with the Vikings mainly because of the defense.(Jared Allen rocks!!!)

Last season sealed the deal for me and so I’m a Vikings fan through and through.

I hope you all don’t think I’m jumping on the bandwagon, this season has been rocky to say the least. Still, Sundays are devoted to the Vikings in my house and I’m loving it win or lose.

Anyway, its nice to meet you all and I hope there’s room on the bus for a transplanted Missouri mule. LOL

59. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Could you hit Green Bay with a scud missle?

60. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m actually not a huge fan of seafood, but I do like shrimp. I had some great rock shrimp when I was down in Florida a couple years ago. after that it didn’t taste the same when I ate it back home. I’m sure it’s much fresher on the east coast!

61. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield, I liked you the minute I knew you hated Chilly.

62. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, that Lake Michigan thing comes in handy if you ever consider becoming a Packer fan! It’s such a warm, spring fed lake! HA!

63. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

sorry, I just realized I’m talking about seafood on a football blog…

64. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Nova. LOL

65. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: You are a great addition. I went to a Cardinal game years ago (baseball). I sat in Center next to this lady and her two adult sons who banged on a drum and led cheers. It was great! Except the gas must be expensive down there. I spent $10 for a Bud, and the brewery was a mile up the road. I love St. Louis, but hopefully you like the twin cities area.

66. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

You can’t talk football 24/7.

67. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie: Chances are the shrimp tastes a little like 30-weight now, thanks to B.P. On a hot day, it fries itself in the gulf. I’m going to the Gulf over x mas to see my folks.

68. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

very true Nova, there are some people a little too obsessed with football! while I enjoy football, there are a lot more things that go on in my life! and welcome Ricefield, glad to have you!

69. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Conner, are you from the gulf originally?

70. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova: The additions and deletions at this point in the season just doesn’t create the buzz. I couldn’t get over only 2 blogs on Chris Doleman. In his prime, he controlled his side of the field.

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ok, here comes that time difference thing again.Talk to you guys later. Steph, no flirting!

72. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

what time is by you Nova?

73. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie: I grew up in Minnesota in several smaller towns. I now live in a neighboring state. When my parents retired they spend the winter months in South Texas. My wife and I go down to see them every other year. My siblings go down on the off year. I’m a pretty simple person, simple things can interest me. When you and the hubs watched the history channel WWII special, Harlingen, Texas has an Iwo Jima memorial that is really amazing. I met a man who was penned down on the landing strip on Iwo for 3 days. His story is amazing, and reminds me of the tremendous sacrifice our military make for our freedoms.

74. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

1 o’clock here, but work comes early. Have a good night, everybody.

75. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Conner,

Gas prices are about the same the last time I went back. Its expensive everywhere. Not really near the Twin Cities. We actually live in Superior, WI but my wife grew up in Duluth. It sucks to be surrounded by Packer Backers but there are more than a few Viking fans around so it isn’t too bad.

The one complaint I have is its frickin’ cold, ya’ll. But I’m getting used to it even though my wife lied about it to get me up here. LOL

76. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova if you’re still there. I know you are semi-retired, but what time do you have to go in for work? Some nights I’m up past midnight CST and you’re fielding posts.

77. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’ve reached the point where I can basically pick-and-choose what jobs I want to take on. I’m committed to a fairly big survey project for the next couple of weeks, hoping the weather holds.

78. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

actually the show we watched was part of a series that was on quite a while ago but we dvr’d it and finally are finishing watching the series. It was pretty amazing stuff what the troops had to go through. The show went over different parts of the war and the one we watched tonight actually talked about Iwo Jima…and how the U.S. lost 3 times more troops on the Island than they did on D-day! something like 24,000…I couldn’t believe it! I’m so thankful for our troops and how they fight for our freedom.

79. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephanie,

Thanks for the welcome.

80. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ricefield: When my father was in the national guard. Each summer he went to Camp Ripley in northern Minnesota for training. At the end of that week my Mom would take us kids up to meet Dad and begin our vacation. One summer it was incredibly hot, and the AC wasn’t working in our old Chrysler. Mom and Dad told us we were going to the beach at Lake Superior. With all the complaining from us kids, Dad finally said, “Kids, this lake we’re going to is fed by warm hot springs. You’ll love it, get in and enjoy it. When we arrived their were many people on the beach. All us kids, hightailed it at Mach 1 into the water. We came out of the water at about Mach II. If people talk about a strange sonic boom back in the mid 70′s, I might be able to explain it.

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’ll fight for you Steph, just not tonight.

82. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

hey Nova, I’m starting to get tired myself and it’s only 11:00 here…you better get some sleep, lol.

83. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova: Are you far enough north to avoid hurricane season in late summer? I was looking at the Nova Scotia map. With all of the water and waterways you must have bridges about every 50 feet. I hope to travel through Maine and up through NE Canada at some point in the future. With what things I’ve seen on travel channel, I think I would like the area.

84. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I think I’m going to get off now, I’m actually starting to get a headache. I should take that as a cue that I need to get some sleep. nice chatting with you guys again. don’t think I’ll be on here every night, lol. but I’ll look for you guys again. :)

85. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey if I get my work done, I’ll be back on by 9:00 or so tomorrow night. Maybe we’ll have an updated injury report to talk about, or the price of rice in China, we’ll take what we get. I better take Boris and Mischa out one more time before bed. Goodnight folks!

86. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

We get a category 1 hurricane up here every 20 years or so. But when I was living in Bermuda we used to get some SERIOUS hurricanes.

87. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

hopefully if there are injury updates, it’s good news! goognight!

88. By Stephanie on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

ooops, I mean goodnight, lol.

89. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Nova: You’ve enlightened me on travel to your area and geography. Thank you, and we’ll talk Vikes tomorrow night.

90. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

“Goognight” everyone!

91. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

LOL Conner,

My wife told me it gets chilly but its not that bad (Yeah right!). Then she says, “It doesn’t snow that much either. (Lyin’ beep!) First winter up here was an eye opener. 2 ft of snow in one night and a regular temp of -15. But she found a way to warm me up after I shovelled the walk and driveway so I couldn’t complain too much, could I?

The summers though, now that’s a lot better. 80 to 90 tops compared to 90 to 110 with humidity out the yingyang in St. Louis. I’ll make that trade any day of the week.

92. By Ricefield on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Sleepwell, ya’ll.

93. By Conner on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear you’re adjusting to the Northland Ricefield. Peace out.

2. Dec 7, 2010: Rice’s Return To Form | Vikings Stop Blog