Webb’s Cameo Appearance

Posted by cjsiewert on December 6, 2010 – 7:50 am

There were 3 WRs among the 8 inactive Vikings on Sunday and as a result rookie QB Joe Webb was on the active 45-man game-day roster.

The Vikings selected Webb in last April’s draft with the intention of converting the athletic QB to WR, but ultimately he returned to his natural position under center as the team’s #3 QB. But with 3 of the 8 inactive Vikings coming from the WR corps – Percy Harvin, Greg Lewis and Hank Baskett – Webb found his way onto the field early against the Bills.

The Vikings received the opening kickoff and with regular return man Harvin on the sidelines, Webb was given the opportunity to take the kick back. And he did so by darting 30 yards straight ahead from the 5, setting up the Vikings offense at their own 35.

“I was trying to pop it out,” Webb described to reporters of his kick return after the victory. “I saw a little crease and I was just trying to hit it as hard as I can run down hill and run up with your feet. That was my first time running a kickoff return and now that I got a chance to see it and know how to read it, I’m sure the next one will be a lot different.”

Following his first ever kick return, Webb made an appearance at the WR position early in the 1st quarter – zero receptions and was not targeted – but was sidelined after playing on a punt return in which he tweaked his hamstring.

If not for the injury early in the game, would we have seen more of Webb integrated into the Vikings game plan?

“I don’t know if I’m letting any secrets out of the bag, but we had a package for him,” Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier told reporters during his post-game press conference. “It just obviously didn’t unfold. We had some things in store. The good thing for our football team, although we had some things in store, we had enough with the people that were playing to overcome the fact that we lost Joe.”

Is the cat out of the bag? The answer to that question will be answered next week against the NY Giants in the Vikings second game of a 3-game home stand. My guess is that if Frazier had a package “in store” specifically for Webb that we may be in store for a showing of the rookie’s athletic abilities in the weeks to come, if he stays healthy.

“Yeah,” Webb responded when asked if he was to see more time at receiver against the Bills. “I was going to get some time in too but right now my focus is just to get healthy and get back.”

Tags: ,
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Webb’s Cameo Appearance”

1. By Frederick Jones on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Lectins, Leptin, Gluten.

O.J. is bad for you.

Cereal is bad for you.

Whole Grains are bad for you.

Calorie counting is useless.

The more I research nutrition, the less I seem to know!!!

2. By Woodboat on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

HAHAHAAahahahaa….what? :)

3. By Woodboat on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

If Webb doesn’t have spectacular hands, he’s basically Hank Baskett without route running experience.

4. By GOLDVIKE on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

GO VIKES!!!

5. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Where did you get that title? I didn’t know Webb was a famous actor.

6. By Joe Webb on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb is as fast as Percy Harvin, big as Sidney Rice, and had Brett Favres arm strength, i want to see this guy start

7. By Rick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb workin with coach Frazier is totally forward motion. GREAT JOB COACH

8. By Lito on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Vikes on designing a package for Joe Webb. It is about time that other players start contributing. Please , no injury excuses. Play well with what you’ve got.

9. By mr smiff on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I Like what Frazier is doing. Being creative, making use of his players. Something Childress wouldn’t do.

10. By Rick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Notice how coach frazier didnt come across like some smart a., way refreshing GREAT JOB COACH

11. By Conner on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow! We have a coach who can evaluate the talent of our team and integrate it into the scheme of the team. I don’t know who gets credit for the defensive play calls, but we’re hiding our weaknesses a little better on that side of the ball as well, and some of the players are eliminating costly mistakes. I’m going to wear my Viking Zuba’s to bed tonight so I wake up feelin’ like a winner!!!!

12. By Conner on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

When a person is genuine, whether you like or disagree with their viewpoint, you go away respecting their thoughts. Coach Frazier is a class act! He does remind me of Dungy. Years ago, I took two young boys to Mankato for training camp. At the end of practice, with his own son waiting to spend time with Coach Dungy, he stopped and signed the two boys hats and spoke with them for a two or three minutes. He sounded genuinely interested in what position these boys would play in football. If the Vikes never won another game again, those boys will always be Tony Dungy, and Minnesota Viking fans.

13. By wisconsinvikesfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

KEEP COACH FRAZIER!!!!!!!

14. By Vike4life on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Connor, nice story. Dungy is a class act and so is Frazier. Very sad that Tony lost his son. Can’t imagine how to deal with that and still have done all he has in the public eye. Frazier – so far he’s got my vote for coach.

2. Dec 6, 2010: Webb’s Cameo Appearance | Vikings Stop Blog