Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters early Monday afternoon for his usual day-after-the-game press conference and during his opening remarks he noted that Sunday’s victory over the Buffalo Bills marked back-to-back wins for his club and he also pointed to the energy of the home crowd as the “impetus for the type of effort” the Vikings gave.
“We had great energy from our fans,” Frazier said. “You saw the results. Our team really played Vikings football. We talk all the time about being a physical, running football team on offense and that was on display yesterday. We did a great job of being able to rush for over 200 yards; I think we had over 40 carries.
“Our special teams really stepped up. Had a number of drives where we pinned their team inside the 20. Great job of setting up our defense.”
Frazier said the defense was “on fire” in forcing 4 turnovers and allowing the offense to score points off of those turnovers. Frazier also said it was good to see the defensive front four playing aggressively, with Jared Allen and Brian Robison providing pressure from the edge and DT Kevin Williams causing havoc in the middle.
“For all of us that have watched Minnesota Vikings football,” Frazier said, “when our defense and defensive line is pressuring the quarterback the way we did yesterday, we’re a hard defense for people to score on. Yesterday was no different. It was just a great effort – Antoine Winfield, E.J. Henderson, Jared Allen, Brian Robison, guys just stepping up all across the board.”
A few other notes from Frazier’s press conference…
– Frazier said that QB Brett Favre has a SC sprain and will be under constant evaluation. He said Favre will probably be “day-to-day” as the week goes on.
– Adrian Peterson came out of the game “in pretty good shape,” Frazier said. Toby Gerhart strained a hamstring, Steve Hutchinson is still day-to-day, Tyrell Johnson tweaked his knee and it could be an MCL but should be fine.
– Frazier confirmed that RB Lorenzo Booker will be signed by the Vikings today and that a corresponding roster move will be made to make room for Booker on the roster. It sounds like the Vikings are hopeful Booker can help the offense immediately, perhaps on 3rd downs.
– Frazier said one of the most encouraging parts of Tarvaris Jackson’s performance in place of Favre was the way he responded following his first INT, which was returned for a TD. Frazier also said he told Jackson that the next offensive play was going to be a pass, which is what happened and Jackson ended up completing it.
– Percy Harvin is “in good spirits” following his battle with migraines last week.
– Ray Edwards (ankle) will be day-to-day this week as well and Frazier said he’ll be the starter when he’s healthy enough to play.
Tags: Jared Allen, Leslie Frazier, Percy Harvin
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 312 Comments »