What 2 Watch 4 Against The Bills

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 3, 2010 – 7:18 am

Last week the Vikings broke their 9-game road losing streak with a win over the Washington Redskins and this Sunday they have a chance to win consecutive games for the first time in 2010. The Buffalo Bills come to town and a potential 2-game winning streak is just one of many statistical achievements to watch out for Sunday – here are a few more…

– Sunday’s game will be Leslie Frazier’s first opportunity to lead the Vikings in a home game at Mall of America Field. Frazier is 1-0 as the interim head coach.

– With a sack, DE Jared Allen can move into a 4th place tie in NFL history for the most sacks in the first 7 seasons. Allen has 79.5 since entering the NFL in 2004, which ranks 5th and trails Leslie O’Neal’s 80.5 (1986-93). With 1.5 sacks, Allen can tie Richard Dent’s (1983-89) 81.0 for 3rd.

– K Ryan Longwell can move up the NFL charts for career FGs made. Longwell currently ranks 16th in NFL history with 334 FGs made. He can tie George Blanda (335) for 15th place with 1 FG.

– RB Adrian Peterson needs 1 rushing TD to move into a 7th place tie in NFL history for the most rushing TDs in the first 4 NFL seasons. Peterson is currently 9th with 48 career rushing TDs and trails Jim Brown and Maurice Jones-Drew, who both had 49 in their first 4 years.

– With 15 receiving yards, TE Visanthe Shiancoe can pass Stu Voigt’s 1,919 career receiving yards as a Viking, which ranks 2nd in team history. Currently Shiancoe has 1,905 receiving yards.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “What 2 Watch 4 Against The Bills”

1. By Frederick Jones on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

There was one year that I watched EVERY PLAY of the Vikings. (I think I was in junior high school) That year Stu Voight NEVER DROPPED A PASS that reached his hands. He wasn’t fast, but if you threw to him, he’d catch it. His nickname was CHAINSAW.

2. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Now we know your age, Fred.

3. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

I remember Jim Kelly and the Bills that went to four consecutive Superbowls– that team was so fun to watch with the fast-tempo no huddle offense– they exploded past defenses. Any other Sunday I am a Bills fan, but Vikings are my first team. I think the Vikings will come out strong and win convincingly. Frazier is a very good coach — I can tell by the way he respects his players– and they respect him back.

4. By DRS on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

The Bills are a good team despite their record, though I think if the Vikings play like they can; they will win. If they can be a little more creative on offence by simplifying plays so that the running backs and such can have time to see an opening to run thru. If the O-line will block and divert the Bills defense like I know they can, we will win big time.

5. By DRS on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Hay Minnesota fans, dose this not sound familiar? This is from a Bills site.
    Its seems to be us or them, the fans who want Andrew Luck and the Buffalo fans that want to stick with Fitzpatrick. In reality I believe we are all on the same page but the jury is out until after the season. Draft plans in December are kind of crazy in my opinnion……
    I fall somewhere in the middle. I want to see Fitzpatrick finish the season and perhaps get a look at Brian Brohm and MAYBE even Levi Brown. Should the Bills select Andrew Luck #1, I can live with the situation and I guess we address DEFENSIVE needs in round 2-6 and during free agency. Its certainly going to work out fine either way, I like that! I prefer to leave the dicisson in the hands of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey, and that’s where it belongs.
    There should be a common ground for all Bills fans.One thing for sure, its going to be a very interesting 2011 draft! I am planning a DRAFT party for this year!! Remember this one!

-THE SLAMMER

6. By Rocksalt on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

here is what 2 watch for:
    Vikes D routinely giving up 3rd and 10+……
    Vikes O routinely not able to convert on 3rd & short……..

7. By Conner on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

DRS: TJACK or Webb will be ready. I don’t think we need to go after Luck unless he falls to where the Vikes pick. I’m a believer in the best player on the board theory for the positions you need to fill or improve your team at. In that case secondary, O-line depth, possibly a receiver.

Rocksalt, the Vikes gave up several 3rd down conversions in the first half against the Skins, but adjusted and forced some 3 and outs in the second half. The O- did manage to move the ball on the ground. Let’s stay positive (and realistic) I thought I saw some tangible adjustments in that game that paide dividends.

Special teams has often set this defense up with a short field to defend. I don’t see it as a lack of hustle on the part of our special teamers, just that the gunners are not staying in their lanes. It’s not just the Vikes this year though. It seems like every game their is at least one special teams touchdown. It’s epidemic.

8. By BC on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Rocksalt: You make a good point. This trend has been bothering me all season. Although Mr. Conner is right that we did see some adj against the Skins, and against other teams earlier on. It just seems like during the ‘meat’ of the game, the D hasn’t shown a lot of urgency. Don’t get me wrong, I’m watching and cheering the Vikes on. I would just love to see this disturbing pattern reversed with a really *convincing* victory (I think the last one was vs. Detroit.) I’m so tired of waiting till mid-4th Qtr for the sense of urgency to arise.
    Skol!

9. By 4eversteve on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Where is the sense urgency on this team I’m not sure if they realize it or not, but it is not only Frazier who is auditioning for a job next year. The entire team should be put on notice, no job is guarantee, this most certainly will be the case if a new head coach is hired. Hey Berrian , hows your Scandinavian French? Hope you invested well with the last big contract you will ever score in your career. Not sure if there is a professional flag football league, no never mind you maybe even to soft for that!

10. By http://Notariusz-Czest.Com.pl/ on Sep 24, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for finally writing about >Vikings Blog | What 2
    Watch 4 Against The Bills <Loved it!

2. Dec 3, 2010: What 2 Watch 4 Against The Bills | Vikings Stop Blog