Greenway Continues To Play At Pro Bowl Level

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 1, 2010 – 3:40 pm

Last season it was easy to promote Vikings players for Pro Bowl honors because the team was having so much success and many players were having sensational seasons. This season the team is not having as much success, but there are still players who are having sensational seasons.

And they deserve to be promoted for Pro Bowl honors.

One of those players is LB Chad Greenway, who has improved each season in his 5-year career and is having his best campaign this season. Greenway currently leads the Vikings in tackles with 112 – including 7 for a loss – and he ranks 1st in the NFC and 3rd in the NFL in tackles as well. In 7 of the Vikings 11 games this season, Greenway has been the leading tackler and in the other 4 games he’s ranked 2nd on the team in stops; he also has a fumble recovery.

Chad Greenway

“He’s having a Pro Bowl season,” Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier said on Wednesday. “I hope he gets the attention he deserves; he’s having a great season.”

Greenway might actually not be getting the attention he deserves. Part of the reason could be the team’s 4-7 record. But I think another reason he’s gone underappreciated on a national stage is the lack of “impact” plays, such forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and INTs. He recorded a season-high 14 stops against the Detroit Lions in Week 3 and he’s had double-digit tackles 7 times this season. But with those impressive numbers, he doesn’t have an INT. Last season Greenway led all LBs in turnovers (3 fumble recoveries, 3 INTs).

Unfortunately last year’s stats don’t count for this year.

Maybe the INTs are coming, though. While speaking with reporters on Wednesday, Frazier said one of the biggest areas of improvement for Greenway this season is his pass coverage.

“His pass drops have really, really improved,” Frazier commented, “and that was an issue early in last season. But now, no, he’s much improved.”

Regardless of his Pro Bowl prospects, Greenway is a defender Frazier is clearly grateful to have on his team.

“He’s such a hard worker and a guy who is so passionate about football,” Frazier explained. “He loves the game. Chad is one of those guys you wouldn’t mind having 53 of. He loves the game and he works extremely hard and on top of that he’s talented. You combine that, you’ve got a pretty good football player and he’s having a great year.”

Fan voting for this year’s Pro Bowl is open and you can cast your votes for Greenway and other Vikings by clicking here.

Tags: ,

173 Responses to “Greenway Continues To Play At Pro Bowl Level”

1. By SoCalVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Greenway is s STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Greenway is leading the NFC in tackles, he should make the Pro Bowl easily regardless of our record …

3. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Greenway is one of the true professionals on the team– if every player were like him, I would build the stadium myself.

4. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Favre in 2011.

5. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre for franchise quarterback.

6. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Favre in 2017

7. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

8. By paul on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Magic Johnson is going to build the new Viking Stadium, in L.A.

9. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

He had better get busy, unless he gets some help.

10. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

At least it will be close to the ocean, in case the Viking ship sets sail.

11. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I cannot wait for this game– Bills are my team after the Vikings– I always wanted to see a Superbowl between the two– media would love it– two teams 0-4 in the Superbowl– that would be a grueling match– could you imagine being the losing team?

12. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, 0-8 in Super Bowls, I’m starting to think you are a jinx!

13. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Nova– come on, be nice! I know I stirred the pot on the other blog– I just wanted to make people think– although it was a simplified outlook–but the players have gotten away from the passion and look towards the profits. Players like Peterson and Greenway get my admiration— their heart and soul is in the game.

Poor Bills, though– 4 years in a row and could not win– poor Jim Kelly

14. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, would you ask Mike Wobschall what “Hight” school is? I think I skipped that on the way to university!

15. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Does he not proof-read his material? I’ll move to Minny and do his job.

16. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I might be a little more “abrasive”, though.

17. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunately, in this digital age, there are a lot of mistakes– I see them all the time– and from much bigger names than Mike. But, it would be a good idea for him to proof– he needs to print it to read it better and then even read it aloud slowly. And hight was for sure caught by a spell-check– so who knows– Mike is in a hurry– maybe he lost his glass-es? Worse? Nova, I started reading an award winning novel last night– the author lost me on page 6— it was describing a resort north of Cincinnati, east of Columbus and west of Dayton– I spent two years at college in Ohio- so right away I was confused– this location cannot exist– unless west of Dayton goes around the globe. The details matter— if there is a mistake, you wonder what else the author confused.

18. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I just saw Favre’s presser today. I thought with Childress gone, being beaten by the P3ckers twice and the prospect of going out with a losing season would at least motivate him to reconsider his position on this being his final season, but he has again stated that he is done after this season. I have to say this. I am very sad about it.

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

There was no such thing as “spell check” when I went to Dalhousie, but you are right, I notice mistakes like these everywhere.

20. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff, I really think he has to spend some time with his family to hold it together. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we read about a divorce in the Favre family in the next couple of years.

21. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Nova, I know. I just wish that whole $terge cr@p never happened, and that he could’ve gone out a winner, a Superbowl champ. 20 years and it ends like this?

22. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I meant $terger. Like I care.

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I remember when Namath went out as an L.A. Ram. It wasn’t pretty.

24. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I know about that. This 2010 Vikings storyline still doesn’t feel rght, though. I’m still here waiting for the plot twist.

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

It would have to take some crazy twists to have a happy ending, but stranger things have happened. We let Chili stay 2-3 games too long.

26. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

That’s very true. I put that on Zygi Wilf. He should have canned Childress the moment he got all high-handed with Moss. Contract extension or no.

27. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

If Frazier had been here since day 1 this year, you know that we would be in the thick of it. Even people who were Childress supporters are now realizing that.

28. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

The coaching staff will have to decide on Tavaris Jackson. They see him every day and have to make the decision. When I have watched him, he’s looked good.

29. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Friends of Tavaris Jackson unite!

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I just know that Childress will never get an NFL job again, but that fact is little consolation for me, after he destroyed the Vikings.

31. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Brent Favre was hated by Jerry Glanville (I saw a video where Glanville said otherwise–I say the proof was in the pudding.)

Johnny Unitas was cut by the Pittsburgh Steelers and had to play for a year for the minor league Bloomsfield Rams.

Kurt Warner was cut by the Packers and had to play in the Arena League and NFL Europe. Then after 2 super bowls, they thought he was washed up. He made it to a third super bowl with Arizona!

32. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Nova, I think you are right as far as him getting a HC job in the NFL. I could easily see him get a job as an assistant in the NFL. Tice did

33. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Tavaris has too many friends in the organization, Fred, he has been passed over time and time again.

34. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Len Dawson, Bart Starr, and Joe Kapp all took a long time to become a starter in the NFL. Tavaris Jackson can make it in the NFL. Friends of Tavaris Jackson unite!

35. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Favre in 2012

36. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey, maybe I’ll change my name to “Friends of TJackson Unite.”

37. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, Tavaris Jackson is your future QB.

38. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Chili’s ego is probably too big to “lower” himself to assistant coach level, plus he certainly doesn’t need the money. His wife would get tired of him being around the house all the time though, I bet.

39. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Anybody believe that Leinart is done?

40. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

NOV, It wouldn’t surprise me to see him take a DII or DIII head coaching job.

41. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Friends of TJack Unite would certainly be an elite club!

42. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Or maybe he could coach up in your neck of the woods. Maybe you’ll have the opportunity to get his autograph.

43. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I am sure Nova will stand in the rain for that signature.

44. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I could see Childress opening a sporting goods store— Chilly’s Bait Shop.

45. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

TJack? Fred, please. Childress was his biggest cheerleader and he STILL sent a plane for Favre!

46. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I’m not expert. You would have thought that guy in Oakland, JaMarcus Russell, was a sure thing. Matt Leinart hasn’t done much. It’s easy to find qbs that have failed in the NFL. Tavaris Jackson, has as good a chance as anyone to make it.

47. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Maybe TJack is like an unknown that everyone looked past — Frederick, remember the prophet Samuel?

48. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

You could also look at formerly great qbs like Earl Morrall, and Jim Plunkett. They were considered washed up, finished, but they led teams to the super bowl. There are so many examples of this it’s scary!

Friends of Tavaris Jackson Unite!!! All we are saying is give T Jackson a chance…All we are saying is give T Jackson a chance…

49. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

That may be true Fred, but is it with the Vikings, though? Right now, people want to see more of Webb than of TJack. Maybe a change of teams is what he needs, like Troy Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick

50. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, and also in that book(s) we learn that the great King David also made some very serious mistakes.

51. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I would rather have the prophet Samuel at QB.

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

King David replacing Greg Lewis doesn’t sound bad, either.

53. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Even Sage Rosenthal could be a great QB, although his stint in the pre-season proved very little to most NFL coaches. They are not fighting to get him.

54. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Joe Webb hasn’t played enough, and it’s all been pre-season football against 2nd and/or 3rd string players. It was fun to watch him, but he’s totally unproven at this point.

55. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Rosenthal is with the Giants, I believe.

56. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

They could all be great….I still wish Favre wouldn’t go out like this.

57. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Where did all the TJackson fans go?

58. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

They all left in a sub-compact.

59. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

They became Favre fans again when they saw him run with the ball!

60. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Who’s the number 2 qb right now for the Vikings? Ya’ll betta get onnnwn tha band wagin for Jackson.

61. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

JACKSON, he’ll score a touchdown for ya!!!

62. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

The Favre bandwagon has nicer seats.

63. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

JACKSON…he’ll score touchdowns for ya!!!

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

We’re comparing a Rolls to a Yugo.

65. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Good luck with that campaign, Frederick. I’d rather go with BSS&LAB’s movement.

66. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Favre for president.

67. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I notice Paul from LA hasn’t returned. Gee I hope LA hasn’t fallen into the Pacific.

68. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I like Webb too– everyone wants him, but he has never played in a real NFL game where it is very different than what he saw in pre-season against third stringers in meaningless games— heck, I could have thrown a touchdown.

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

That would put a crimp in Magic’s plans.

70. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Webb would most likely have a lot of mistakes– he has to mature as a QB, TJack has a lot of experience — and yet, from what I saw in the Patriots game, he seemed the same as in the Philly playoff game a couple years back– making poor throws and appearing a bit, well what should I say, jumpy, skiddish?

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I think TJack’s natural position is slot receiver, and so does Sonja.

72. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to see a Superbowl– bring back Favre– take him out of the games now and allow his ankle/body to heal for three or four months, and then put him on an elite conditioning program — then have him at training camp from day one– let Favre end his career with a Superbowl ring.

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

that sounds great in theory, BSAS, but Favre wouldn’t come back to just a so-so team. We stand to lose a lot of talent.

74. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

There is a big lesson here– we must always be prepared to meet opportunities in the slivers of time when they appear. Who will be gone next year?

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

That’s if Deanna lets him.

76. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

They posted a bunch of players whose contracts are up the other day, but Zygi seems to have deep pockets, who knows? I just think Favre won’t be back.

77. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

If Favre could put his ego down, and not play every game– give rest– and condition— I think I have heard he does not condition much– he could have a breakout year with the right cast around him. It is amazing what a rigorous conditioning and carrot juice can do. Look at Jack Lalanne. He was 80 years old swimming and towing boats with his teeth in New York harbor.

78. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Swimming in the New York harbor doesn’t sound too healthy to me!

79. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Greenway always seems to be in the middle of the action. He’s really developed as a player, he’s comfortable with the defensive scheme. Hopefully the Vikes will sign Greenway to lock him up for the remainder of his career. Their seems to be a lot of TJack bashing. What has the poor guy done? Last I remember, he led the team to a 10-6 record, and started a playoff game. That’s experience you don’t throw away. Hopefully, the Vikings keep him on with another 2 or 3 year contract. Maybe Webb will be the eventual starter, but TJack proved in the Patriots game he’s ready at a moments notice and can execute the offense. I didn’t watch pre-season, did Webb play against anyone’s first string defense? People think the Vikings know what they have with TJack, so they’re sticking with Favre. I think they know what they have with TJACK, and are pleased with what they see.

80. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Funny Nova, very funny. Probably safer than the bay of fundy though.

81. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Nova: IT’s Rosenfels that’s with the Giants. If TJack wasn’t the future, they wouldn’t have let Rosenfels go. They had to have a contingency plan in the event Favre became too injured to play. (The sub-compact line was funny, I must be in the hatchback. HA!)

82. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

@ Conner– that contingency plan was back in Childress’ watch.

83. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Well, I would love to debate the merits (or de-merits) of Jackson, but it’s after 12:30 here and, unlike Chili, I have to go to work tomorrow. You guys take care, talk to you later.

84. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think it’s ego, BSS&LAB. He just wants to play and be effective. Relief qb just isn’t his style. And let’s not forget, he was still recovering from ankle surgery. That’s why he couldn’t train and condition himself the way he should have. I would love to see Favre return for another season, though. He’s the reason I started watching American Football. But Nova is right. He needs to be with his family. My heart just broke a little typing that last sentence.

85. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

@Conner – I think the only reason that TJack hasn’t become the starter is because Favre has a much bigger contract AND because no matter what happens on game day, Favre brings in a much bigger media crowd.

The only other guy that I can think of who can get away with performing so horribly and still stay on the field is Peyton Manning. I was about to add Tom Brady to the list, but the I remembered the type of coach Bellicheck is, he’d trade away Brady if his performance fell as low as Brett’s has this year.

86. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Mr Smiff, I know about his ankle– I think the world does, Trinidad and Tobago seem to have heard about it. What I am saying is that throughout his career, Favre said he never conditioned much — at least that’s what I heard.

87. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Where’s Fred Jones at?

88. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like 2-3 good QBs in the draft this year, and some surprise QB movement oppotunities …. Philly will have 2 QBs making starter money good chance they are willing to trade Kolb, Denver has been doing some insane things lately and they drafted Tebow and there fans want him to play more so Orton might be an option …. and TJack is still an option although Im more excited about Webb …

89. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Is Vick really that much better than Kolb? Vick’s getting older, and Kolb seemed to be on the verge of becomming Philly’s franchise QB until he got injured and Vick stole the show. I think Philly would be better off trading Vick away for some high future draft picks and then they’d be set for years to come.

90. By Robins on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Brett has been a blast to watch for 20 years now. I hope the Vikings can win the rest of their games. If only they had fired Childress sooner I think we would have beaten the bears and the packers. I will miss watching Brett play. I hope we protect him so he can make it to the end of the season. Just win Vikings! It was great watching them laughing and having fun again like last year.

91. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

You might be right Purple, they just seem so in love with Vick right now , never know

92. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I personally an torn about TJack on one hand his numbers have improved every year and he has studied under Favre and on the other I just remember being so frusterated watching him dump the ball to chester and tahi and never going deep

93. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I may have heard that too, BSS&LAB. But neither of us knows for sure. But I have certainly heard on the NFL Network during the Favrewatch speculation that the ankle has hampered his conditionng, and made him at least consider retirement.

94. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, I went out for a run.

95. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

If they trade Kolb to the Vikings, we may really have to let Favre go. Can’t have 2 #4s. I don’t think I would like that. But that’s just me.

96. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

and I would never say TJack led us to 10-6 and the playoffs … That was Adrian Peterson that LED us with a good defense and yes TJack was the QB it was the Trent Dilfer effect lol

97. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Nova’s line about the subcompact was funny. It’s also true that the TJack club was much larger before the Redskins game. I’ve always been for TJackson, although certainly not over Favre. I think you could fill a 1972 Imperial LeBaron with Tarvaris Jackson fans!!!

98. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, there’s nothing wrong with the Trent (Pilifer) Dilfer effect if it gets you to the Super Bowl.

99. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Also I believe most of the games the 10-6 year were quarterbacked by Gus Frerotte.

100. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Yea Fred like I said I am torn about TJack … he just seems so scared to throw a deep ball …

101. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

All we are saying…is give TJack a chance…All we are saying…is give TJack a chance.

102. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Actually that 10-6 year when we hosted Philly and won the division was led not by Peterson or Gus or TJack. It was coach childress.

103. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

lol

104. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Fred! I bought a new trainer for my bike last night– a much newer generation than what I had– better workout– in fact I felt like I was going to vomit today– maybe pushed harder than I realized, better resistance than what I had. Not much of a runner, but I do work out about 7-10 times a week.

105. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

you like that Shawn? Bring back Chilly!!!

106. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, I have a feeling you would put me to shame. I do lift weights 2 or 3 times per week in addition to running.

107. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I have a feeling T. Jackson is going to get a chance whether Viking fans want him to have one or not. He’s not going to be expensive to sign.

108. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Frederick: I’m riding shotgun in the TJACK bandwagon. 75 Plymouth Volare with a slant 6 and AM radio. As far as Favre’s off-season conditioning, I’ve watched him those Wrangler commercials and he’s BALL’N! I don’t know how much of Favre’s season has been impacted by Sterger, I think it’s safe to say the media scrutiny going into the Jets game wore on his menta psyche, after that it’s just been the occassional blip. He is 42, and he’s not recovering as quickly as he remembers from past years. If we get on a roll and he feels great about next season, if he reconsiders by February 15th, agrees to the mini camps, works with a trainer, at least once a day during training camp, and he can finish his career with a ring. But if their is any threat of being second string, he won’t go out that way.

109. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Tjack = not bad AND Tjack = not good …. he may or may not be our best option depends on how things unfold during the offseason

110. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Conner: At least the TJack fans are riding Mopar. “Mopar or no car”

111. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Defense alone can’t carry a team, Frederick. Not anymore.

112. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

So many bloggers complained about Favre being late for camp this year. If he had a crazy change of mind, why would he be back for training camp? I think he is very ready to retire.

113. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Smiff: The Vikings need to get some players for both sides of the ball for next year! I think there were 14 players over 30 on the Vikings roster. That’s not bad, but alot of those are starting players.

114. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

If more teams can do to Vick what the Bears did, the Eagles may still cling to Kolb. Regardless, I’d have interest if Kolb were available, not Vick. However, when Vick was reinstated the league appointed Dungy to be his counselor, or someone to contact. Frazier may fill that role in the future for a player with some past problems. The good thing is, as far as I know, TJACK and WEBB don’t have any trouble in their past, so Coach Frazier can just focus on coaching football players.

115. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE PEOPLE DONT LET OWNERSHIP THINK WE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH TJACK …. Kolb, Orton, maybe one of the draft picks would be nice, Tjack should only be worse case scenario

116. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Frederick: Late humor, but humor none the less. Thanks. I’ll see you at the next Mopar rally with your Dart!

117. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I’ve said all along that the Vikings need to get a veteran quarterback for next year. TJack and Joe Webb are good future prospects. But you have to have a veteran in that mix as well. A bigger concern is the lack of young, talented linemen.

118. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I agree Fred– he was very unsure about returning– but part of him wanted to come back very much– a very hard decision– who knows how much chilly affected that decision-making? We all can see Favre was not the happiest with Chilly controlling everything.
    Anyway, Fred, hardly am I putting you to shame with the workouts–in fact, running is very hard, I have not done much of it since the days I prepared for cross country ski races– I hated it.

119. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Shawn: Did TJACK cut you off at Walmart on Black Friday getting that last $19.99 Beta VCR? Why the hate??

120. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Conner, my cousins had a Dodge Dart, and I drove it a few times. I did own a 1972 Imperial Lebaron a few years back. Unbelievable car. It was like driving a tomb in the winter time, unfortunately.

121. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

You know why Jackson wasn’t throwing the ball deep? Because the best option he ever had was Berrian. Yea, Frerrotte found him once for 99 yards, but how often do you even get that chance? Most of the time Berrian is better covered than that, and so Jackson played it safe, which I’d prefer over throwing a ball that has higher potential for an INT than a reception any day.

122. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Dodge Dart– that was the same as the Chrysler Valiant- — how about the Duster– now that was a car– some kid ploughed into my 4 month old VW GTI years ago with his old Duster — completely his fault– came off a side street and ran right into my driver’s door.

123. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Lebaron– now that was a classy car. Man time travel before bed– this will make great dreams. How about the Cordoba?

124. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

here we go with o line talk again … OUR O LINE IS NOT THAT BAD and Hutch is the oldest guy at 33 Sullivan is 25 and Loadholt 24 … Its great everyone sticks behind Favre but hes 41 and has mobility issues and he has had to throw to Lewis, Baskett he also had Chilly ..

125. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BS – why did you do cross country races if you hated it?

126. By Conner on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BS&S: I can’t afford “The Rich Corinthian leather” of a Cordoba. Besides they all smell like Ricardo Montelbon for some reason?

127. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – The O-line has been very suspect this year. Hardly any time to set up for a pass, and little for running lanes all year. Things seem to be better when Sullivan is in there, but guys are still blitzing past the Tackles untouched. Still, I agree that a more mobile QB wouldn’t have as much problems.

128. By mr smiff on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

The $terger mess has been an issue, whether he admits it or not. I still don’t know if TJack is the answer. I was unimpressed with his perfomance in the Pats game. All he really did was finish Fvare’s drive with that td pass. When it was his turn to do one of his own, he ran for 33 yards, then made some throws to no one. All I know is I’m not ready to let Favre go just yet and I have not yet given up on this season. Goodnight, fellas.

129. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, I’m sure someone will want to do another biography on Favre. Lots of stuff could come out in that book. I didn’t pay alot of attention to the Vikings in 2006 (I watched the games, but not the pressers. ) So I missed all the stuff about Childress and the media.

130. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Conner ,PP, and Fred … I dont hate TJack , I just hope we dont at this point and time count on him would like to get through the draft and free agency in case something better pops up … like i keep saying I have very mixed feelings about tJack … and YES HE USED HIS SUPERIOR ATHLETIC ABILITY, THAT VCR WAS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

131. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Smiff – The thing is that TJack CAN run for 33 yards. On top of that, he wasn’t committing turnovers. That’s two things that he has better than Favre. I think he’ll need more time behind center to really ascertain how he measures up in the other areas.

Last Sunday was the first time in 2 years that I saw Favre actually TRY to run. I’ve seen him throw from across the line of scrimmage too many times, even though he had room for a good 10-yard gain. Defenses allow him the room to run because they know he’s not going to take it.

132. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Mr Smiff– I have been saying over and over that what I saw from TJACK in the pats game was the same old TJACK– running around all jumpy, not sure of himself and making bad throws– and no one seems to notice my posts– Thank you, I was beginning to think I did not see the same film. Sure TJack had a td and 2 point conversion– but come on. the TD was set up by a Favre drive down within the 10 yard line.

133. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Conner, you may already know this, but there is no such thing as “corinthian” leather. They made it up!

134. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

@PURPLEPARODY … you said it we are being blitzed constantly because defenses dont respect our wide recievers … NOT THE O LINES FAULT …and chester used to pick up the blitzes AP and Toby have missed a lot of blocks …. NOT THE O LINES FAULT … and Favre cant move around like he used to …. NOT THE O LINES FAULT … and overall effort was lacking with Chilly … WE HAVE BIGGER ISSUES THAN THE O LINE

135. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

LOL @ Shawn – everybody’s got an opinion, at least you can keep a sense of humor next to yours!

I’m with you that I hope we can grab someone good out of the draft (Ponder appears to be the most realistic chance for us), but I still think TJack is the better option Today.

136. By PurpleParody on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – I still disagree with you on the OLine. I’ve seen D-ends constantly run around the tackles, who wouldn’t move any further than a blocking dummy. Those guys need to learn to move their gargantuan feet, or they need to learn to watch the game from the sidelines.

137. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, I do not think anyone considers TJack a world beater—-yet. We have to get a third qb regardless, and I do not want him to be a rookie. Not many rookie qbs come in an light up the NFL. Roethletsberger (sp) was a very rare exception, everyone else has had to spend some time on the pines.

138. By Shawn on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

BSAS , those are the memories I have of TJack … accuracy issues , tipped ba’lls, and a kind of fear … on the plus side he has studied under Favre for 2 years

139. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

ALL WE ARE SAYING…IS…GIVE…TJACK…A CHANCE! We may have to anyway. He can throw, run, and lead.

140. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Shawn – Don’t you agree that Favre’s accuracy issues and toss up throws have been more of a concern this year than what you remember of TJack?

141. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

all we are saying….

142. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Well, I am turning this computer off — research shows it is not good to stare at a computer screen before bed– I believe it has something to do with how the light shines at your eyes— that is why we have eye problems from computers–

143. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

…give Tarvaris Jackson a chance!

144. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE IN 2011

145. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Oline has only given up 21 sacks … thats top 15 in the league if the other things i mentioned were better you would think o line so much all those parts work together sacks are not just because o line

146. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE IN 2014

147. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE IN 2018

148. By Conner on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Frederick: Are you saying “I got hosed?” I just bought tickets for a vacation to Corinth to inspect the leathers first hand!

TJACK in the Pats game: A it’s late in the game and cold. He came in and made two good throws with some excellent plays called to get 8 points. He may be too quick to rely on his running skills, but it does give the defense something more to consider. He had to run the 2:00 minute drill. I’m not sure how much time the backup gets in that package during practice. Overall, I would hope my job performance wouldn’t be evaluated in 4-5 minute glimpses.

149. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

SANE IN BED!!!

150. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Ravens Eagles and Bears have all given up more sacks than our line and they are among the best teams with bears and eagles having more mobile qbs and the ravens having better recievers

151. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Purple Parody, There haven’t been many throws from TJack. If we watched one game of Favre, we might give up on him as well.

All we are saying…is give TJack a chance.

152. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Let me guess Conner– upon landing you were greeted by a small fellow, excitedly calling– “da plane! da plane! da plane!”

153. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Fred – that’s the point I was trying to make…

154. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

well, that and the 11 games that I’ve seen from Favre have caused me to give up on him…

155. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

But Shawn – how many INTs have they thrown? I have to contest that Favre avoids sacks by throwing the ball up in the air, still taking the hit, and then the defenders just grab the INT instead of getting the sack.

156. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

haha guys like i keep saying im torn about tjack, and i just hope there is a better option through free agency or the draft …. but ownership does hear us they dont always listen and they do take time in their decision process and if all they hear is how much we love tjack maybe we miss out on something … and IT IS POSSIBLE IM WRONG, ITS HAPPENED A COUPLE TIMES

157. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wow – I just looked up a mock draft and it has us grabbing Jake Locker at #12. The last time I looked at prospects, Locker was projected to go #1 overall. This sounds rather promising….in a way…

158. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

and no im not praising favre this year for sure hes made mistakes, and his recievers have dropped ba’lls and havent run the right routes , I think he is giving effort and at 41 with all the other issues its been ugly

159. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

But it has Luck and Mallett going before Locker…I don’t know if Luck (a sophõmore) will declare in 2011, and from what I saw from Mallett in a game a week ago, he may be overrated.

160. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Shawn, I agree that Favre has been giving it his all, and that it’s fun to watch him dance around when the team is doing good. That still isn’t enough to make up for all the errors he’s made this year, in my book anyways. I’ll take boring and reliable over his style any day.

161. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I just look at everything and here is the fact in 4 games with Moss we averaged 21.6 points per game / and in 6 games without Moss we averaged 12 points per game …. 3 of 4 games with moss favre had a rating over 80 … and only 1 time in 6 games without moss … THE O LINE WAS THE SAME AND EVERYTHING WAS THE SAME EXCEPT THE WIDE OUTS SO THAT TELLS ME ITS MORE THE WIDE RECIEVER ISSUE THAN O LINE ISSUE

162. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

DID YOU SEE THAT PURPLE 3 OF 4 GAMES FAVRE HAD GOOD RECIEVERS HE PLAYED GOOD FOR A 41 YEAR OLD … AGAINST 3 OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE PATRIOTS JETS PACKERS and cowboys ….

163. By Shawn on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

everything else was the same except we had a true #1 WR and we scored more points in 4 games than we did in 6 games without a #1 WR

164. By NovaScotiaVike on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

That all sounds good Shawn, but do you have any facts to back all that up? LOL

165. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

That’s a good point Shawn. Hard to argue against it, so I’ll just bite my fingertips.

166. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Man, I’ve been digging through mock drafts here, and all but one have us taking Locker – somewhere between the 8th and 15th choice, with Luck and Mallett favored to go ahead of him. It sounds like we could actually be in for a franchise QB soon…..but these projections are way too far out to be realistic in the least…

167. By Conner on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

College QB’s are rarely a sure thing. Here are some can’t miss Heisman guys who couldn’t hit the target as pros. Geno Torreta, after a few days in Mankato people were saying,”W what’s with the overage ball-boy getting to do drills with the team?” Matt Leinert…jury is still out, Josh Heupel, 1 and done I believe. Everyone out of Notre Dame for the past 30 years. We are better off developing a quarterback. Sure, you can draft a first rounder, but you might get a Brady in round 6?

168. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Conner makes a very good point. It’s possible to get a good draft pick in the later rounds. Shawn has already given statistics about the Vikings with Moss and w/o Moss. He’s proved his point. Did Moss go to management? Did he complain about the food? What else happened? How did he practice? These are the issues Coach Childress was dealing with when he waived Moss. Considering how many people wanted to pick up the future Hall of Famer, I’d say it was a good move to dump him.

169. By Frederick Jones on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

There may have been ways to improve Randy Moss’s attitude that we did not explore. It’s a shame we did not do it.

170. By PurpleParody on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Fred – The thing is that Childress refused to tell us his thought process on dumping Moss, so we are all left to speculate. For all we know, the problem was simply that Randy Moss was being Randy Moss. Vikings fans knew what type of character he had long before we traded him away the first time. It didn’t bother most of us, and we were more than willing to put up with it in order to keep him. Management of the team has not, and they are all refraining from giving us the entire picture, as they see it.

171. By DRS on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Owners and coaches are normally thin skin. Hard to find a coach and Owner that can take a little rebuke now and then.

172. By Curt on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I absolutely agree that Greenway should and WILL represent the Vikings and NFC in the Pro Bowl. I was wondering if with the quarterback situation as it is why they wouldn’t consider Greenway as an emergency quarterback since he played the position in high school, I saw an article today suggesting Sidney Rice may be the teams emergency quarterback?

2. Dec 1, 2010: Greenway Continues To Play At Pro Bowl Level | Vikings Stop Blog