Join Us For Stadium Chat – Tuesday At 12:00 P.M.

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 29, 2010 – 3:52 pm

As the dust settles from the 2010 Elections, the issue of a new publicly-owned stadium for the State of Minnesota is quickly becoming a hot topic among Vikings fans and newly-elected leaders. And tomorrow it will be a hot topic on vikings.com because we’re having a live chat with Vikings VP of Stadium Development/Public Affairs on Tuesday at noon CT.

With a lease set to expire after the 2011 season, the Vikings will have just 10 games remaining at the current facility when the 2011 Legislative Session convenes. The Vikings remain one of the few NFL franchises without a stadium solution, and – due to the challenges of the Metrodome – the team ranks at the bottom of the league in stadium revenues.

The Vikings are working with State and local officials already to develop a stadium package to bring forward early next year. It will include a specific stadium site, project costs and funding options.

There are a lot of factors involved with this issue and Lester will help us sort them all out tomorrow, so be sure to join us. Click here to access the chat tomorrow and remember that you can log at 11:45 a.m. CT tomorrow to submit your questions ahead of time.

29 Responses to “Join Us For Stadium Chat – Tuesday At 12:00 P.M.”

1. By Dirk on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

If the vikings get the bill passed for a a new Stadium,then are they going to sign a 4 year lease in the metrodome so they will have a place to play while their new Stadium is being built?

2. By Frederick Jones on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

I’ve heard the Wilfs want a stadium like the Cowboys with lots of other money-making businesses. Is that necessary?

3. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Why not outdo Jerry Jones- put a dome over the whole downtown, plant Palm trees and have an outdoor stadium— 76 degrees year round.

4. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

I say knock out half the seats in the dome and put in comfortable couches and recliners– less seats, but you could charge a lot more, and have waiters and waitresses bring real food— we would be the envy of the league— When I leave the dome, my knees hurt from the cramped conditions.

5. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Chicago has a nice stadium– go back outside like the days at the Met– make for good home field advantage in the playoffs when its 20 below—

6. By Dave on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Bsas- that was hilarious!! Dome over the entire downtown!! Love it!! Ingenious and funny as heck lol

Skol Vikes!!

7. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Canada lost a great ambassador, and the world a great comedian yesterday with the passing of Leslie Nielsen. I was lucky enough to meet him in person years ago when he visited Halifax, and my life has been all the richer for it since.

8. By miko on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

they can always come to l.a. vikings will be loved here

9. By Justin on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

@dirk

I heard a while ago that the Vikings could play in the Golpher’s stadium (I think it’s called the TCF stadium?) until their facility is built.

10. By paul on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Favre’s Grandson will be playing for Southern Miss. before the Law Maker’s in Minnesota get a bill passed for a new Stadium.

11. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Is this the last year of Favre’s contract? I think Favre is not sure about retiring.

12. By fireD childress on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Vikings at TCF stadium, playing on grass. that would go over well

13. By Justin on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

@ Sane

Yeah, this year is Favre’s last. Unless he signs an extension for 2011, his football career is done.

14. By kraze k on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Miko- what are you talking about bring them to L.A. Cali is in debt and plus they don’t need another football team in Cali, they already have three. Besides Cali is not that great of a place anyways. The Vikings need to stay in Minnesota because that is where they belong.

15. By Frederick Jones on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

I really do not think he is interested in playing anymore after this year. He has taken a great beating in his 20 years in the NFL. Blanda played longer, but was not always a starter. Moon played longer, but part of his career was in Canada, where it’s easy to assume that the players are smaller/slower than the NFL. Favre will be done after this year.

16. By KDB on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

fireD childress – TCF Bank Stadium has a turf playing field.

What the Vikings need is a stadium that can be used year-round. This will allow for other events to take advantage of a state-of-the-art sporting venue. The state will see the benefits within the first year of its opening – just look at what Target Field and the Xcel have done for the Twins and Wild; sold-out games games with a dramatic increase in team revenue.

17. By KDB on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Sorry – sold-out games, not games games.

18. By fireD childress on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

the Raiders and chargers are on the top of the list to go to LA. the Vikings are towards the bottom of the list. the Buffalo Bills look like they are moving to Canada

19. By PurpleParody on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Canada, really? We can’t support 32 teams in the US anymore? If I were an NFL owner, I’d be voting against letting any team move outside the country.

On the other side of it, assuming we do get a stadium, I hope that we keep it indoors. So many people are begging for the homefield advantage of the MN weather, even though the dome has provided us one of the best homefield advantages without the weather. I just want our design crew to come up with a plan that will keep the fans warm and continue to maximize the power of the 12th player.

20. By fireD childress on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

just like the guy that died in soldier field, no smoking in stadium, so went on ledge to smoke and slipped and fell to his death

21. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Is that what happened? He was smoking?

22. By DRS on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

For one thing, why should the Tax payer pay for a new stadium? Why pay for a millionaires building? Maybe the state should pay for my house? I could use one. A millionaire can get money why not me? I hear that the people of Minnesota like to bail out millionaires bankers, so why not Football owners as well? Sounds good to you Minnesota fans? What state has the money to build a stadium, California? Not likely, they cannot make pay role. Texas, Washington DC, New York, give me a break. You might as well say move to New Mexico.

23. By DRS on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I am a Viking fan from the 1960’s to present. We fans wanted a rebuilt Met stadium with a removable roof on it. Not that eye sore of a dome down town. No parking availed for tail gating, and Hard to get to as well. If the state really needs to come up with the Tax payer’s money to build this thing, why not build an up-dated version of the met somewhere outside the twin cities so that we fans can get to it and tail gate once more?!

24. By Dave on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I had heard that Mike Lynn still gets revenue from the suites at the metrodome. Is this true?

25. By 4eversteve on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I really hope the Vikings stay in Minnesota, I’m A Viking fan living in Tucson, AZ. and yes while it would be true by moving them to L.A. I would be able to attend a lot more games, but that would be selfish on my part. There is only one place this team should play football and that’s in Minnesota . Please keep the Vikings in Minnesota!

26. By DRS on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Why not move the Vikings to New Mexico? That way the cowboys and the AZ Cardinals would not have far to go to play. This broke state has as much of a chance to come up with the money to build a stadium as any other state does. If the Vikings where ever to move the state by law should make them give up their name just as the Browns did. The Lakers and the stars should have been made to do the same.

27. By DRS on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

The viking owners should build their own stadium out side the Twin Cities just as the cowboys owner did. Or at least something like what was done for the cowboys.

28. By DRS on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I know the cowboys did not biuld out side the twin cities. What I was saying is the vikings should do what the cowboys did. pay for your own stadium and seek tax credits for building it.

2. Nov 29, 2010: Join Us For Stadium Chat – Tuesday At 12:00 P.M. | Vikings Stop Blog