Gerhart Gutty In Vikings Victory

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 28, 2010 – 7:13 pm

I will not hide from the fact that coming out of the preseason and training camp this year I was underwhelmed with what I saw of rookie RB Toby Gerhart. But after following the NFL for nearly my entire life and after shadowing the Vikings for the last 6 seasons, I’ve also learned that it makes no sense to make snap judgments on draft picks.

On Sunday at FedEx Field, Gerhart provided the latest illustration of why snap judgments often prove incorrect. With Adrian Peterson out of the game because of an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, Gerhart stepped into the lineup and produced. After Peterson left the game, Gerhart logged 22 carries, 76 yards and his 1st career TD.

Most impressively, though, is the fact that Gerhart pounded the Redskins defense for 7 carries and 25 yards during the Vikings final drive of the game, a 13-play series that salted away 3 Washington timeouts and the final 6:13 of the game, allowing the Vikings to depart enemy territory with their 1st road win in over a year.

We shouldn’t go without mentioning the offensive line, either. With starting RG Anthony Herrera lost for the season, Ryan Cook filled the void admirably and in fact played quite well. I’ve said for a long time that the Vikings offensive line is better when John Sullivan is healthy and playing – that was certainly the case tonight. The group as a whole had a nice rhythm going, particularly in that game-clinching drive, and I know for a fact that Sullivan and TE Jim Kleinsasser thoroughly enjoyed grinding out that victory on the ground late in the game.

Back to Gerhart – this performance wasn’t the first or only stride of improvement I’ve seen from him. He’s become a more significant factor as the season has progressed, getting involved not only in the run game but also in the passing game as a receiver out of the backfield and as a pass protector. It’s certainly not “mission accomplished” with Gerhart, but I’m just as certain that he’s on a good track to becoming a solid contributor for this Vikings offense for years to come.

As I sit on the team plane flying back to Minnesota after this win, I’m very encouraged. And it’s not because we won and I’m hoping in the back of my mind for a playoff berth of near-miraculous proportions. It’s because the Vikings showed up and played for interim head coach Leslie Frazier even though they had a 9-game road losing streak and a disappointing 3-7 record. It’s a nice win for this club and something for Frazier and his bunch to build upon going forward.

Tags:

22 Responses to “Gerhart Gutty In Vikings Victory”

1. By Bruce on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey MIKE, who is in charge of updating the website with the video links 1-5? They still have links from Childress on there for wednesday’s conference on the main page which is kind of weird.

2. By Conner on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

When I watched him a few times last year at Stanford, I thought he could be the next “John Riggins.” The speed of the NFL is different than in college. He protected the ball well, he ran hard and got every inch he could for us. A very impressive performance, and hopefully the start of many great years ahead. Great job TOBY!

3. By purplefavrefan on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

nice job, toby!

4. By purplefavrefan on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

also like seeing favre more in charge…doing more play-actions, etc. go vikes!!

5. By skolpurpleandgold on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Good job Toby

6. By ndvikesfan on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

nice to see Jimmy mentioned….oline did a heck of a job today! toby….great job!

7. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Mike, read the book, “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell– you have all this experience around football, and your snap judgments are often incorrect? It should be exactly the opposite. Read the book, plenty of real life studies and science to show the validity of thinking in a few seconds– that conclusions are often correct– but mostly if you have a lot of experience in that area.

8. By fireD childress on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

yeah, while Mike was busy writing articles on how great of a coach Chilly was, he should of been reading the boook instead. too bad they didn’t fire Chilly last year

9. By surfgonzo on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been following Gerhart since his high school days in Norco, CA. He was great then and at Stanford and it was nice to see him get into a rhythm today. Great job today Toby.

10. By Viking-ology on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Toby was great. The more weapons we have, the better. I also like the fact that Peterson was on the field on some third downs. I could never understand the logic of having our best offensive player on the sidelines during the most critical down. Great TEAM effort Vikings!

11. By Viking-ology on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

It was also good to see some smiles on the Vikes sideline. When your loose, you play better.

12. By Tony P on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Toby!!! It looked like you had to drag half the defence across the line with you. Impressive power. You got the first one done. Hopefully it’s just the beginning. Get a bunch more.

13. By Sue G Vikes 4 Ever on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Way to gp Toby!!!! a W is a W. Brett gutsy first down!!!! Way to go GUYS!

14. By Robins on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

It was a great win for all of us! The team needed it, the coach needed it and we needed to see our great team happy and laughing again like last year! Toby, it was fun to watch you play hard! I thought everyone showed up and did their job well. Brett even ran! Celebrate, you deserve it and keep on winning! It was nice to see our coach happy with a win!

15. By fireD childress on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

13 Arizona West 3-7-0
    14 Dallas East 3-8-0
    Eliminated
    15 Detroit North 2-9-0
    16 Carolina South 1-10-0

16. By Justin on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I cannot believe we can still make the wildcard. Although that’ll prove nearly impossible, since Green Bay and Tampa Bay may get it before we do.

17. By Mike on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

we still got a long shot at the playoffs- we cant just give up

great team win btw. hopefully will get something going now

18. By Jake on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Great game Toby!

19. By Bigfan1 on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

When Toby gets more reps and experience in the NFL he’s going to be a powerhouse back.

20. By FiredChildress on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Congatulations on a nice win yesterday. Anything I could do to help the team win (being Fired and all) is #1 in my heart. I am glad to be gone. Don’t worry, I’ll just sit here and count my money until another sucker team is interested in me…..Take care and God Bless.

2. Nov 28, 2010: Gerhart Gutty In Vikings Victory | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Nov 29, 2010: Monday Morning Aftermath: Minnesota Vikings « Purple Pants, Green Jersey