Frazier Feels Comfortable Managing On Game Day

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 24, 2010 – 1:01 pm

Our last entry focused on how coaches on the defensive staff will see their roles change and increase with the promotion of Leslie Frazier to interim head coach. But let’s not overlook how Frazier’s role will also change.

The change will certainly not be slight, either. It’s a big change for Frazier, who will go from focusing primarily on defense to taking a more global perspective and managing aspects of the team that include offense and special teams as well. In addition to phases of his own team, Frazier will take on decisions such as whether to punt, kick a FG or go for it on a 4th-and-short situation on the opponent’s 38-yardline. Or whether to challenge a close call early in the 2nd half and risk a timeout that might be needed later in the game.

Frazier has been a head coach previously, but not at the NFL level. His experiences as a coach and player at both the college and professional level, though, seem to have him prepared for the challenge.

“I do feel comfortable in doing it,” Frazier said. “I’ve never had to do it other than to consult in the past in the role that I was in (with the Vikings). But I do feel comfortable with doing it and I’ll do some things in the days to come to prepare and be a little bit sharper than I’ll need to be. But there’s nothing like game experience, and I’ll get that on Sunday.”

Tags:

67 Responses to “Frazier Feels Comfortable Managing On Game Day”

1. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

One good thing about the coaching change, it’ll be harder for the Redskins to prepare for the Vikings. There will be some unknown factors.

2. By Siyrah on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Frazier will do fine I think. Just take the players input, work together, communicate, and I think all will be good. Childress seemed like he had the “why are you talking to me?” type of attitude. I think this game will be exciting!

3. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Hindsight is better than foresight. The fact they had that 6-10 season right away in his tenure never helped Brad Childress politically. So politically he was never strong. He will be remembered for bringing Favre to Minnesota. Sure Bevell knew Favre better. But give Childress credit for making the effort. What if Childress doesn’t go to Mississippi? I believe last year’s 13-5 would never have happened!!!

4. By Rogerthevikefan on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

So he is going to do what chilly didnt like to do and talk to players for input. Good luck Frazier prove to everyone you should be are head coach from here on in.

5. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Chilly did a lot of good. What if one play went differently in New Orleans? One play? We would have been in the Superbowl– we had not been that close since after the 15-1 1998 season. Funny everyone bashed Chilly and say it was all the coaches fault for this year’s meltdown. If all success or failure ultimately is tied to the coach, then why is no credit given to Chilly for last year? And the year before? I know, bring it on naysayers– I know your answers already.

6. By CaribooBill on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

An improvement already – we can actually hear the questions being asked in the interviews! Another change – Favre is wearing a Vikings sweatshirt and looks presentable – something he didn’t always do. Go Vikes!

7. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Frederick, exactly what I have been thinking— teams are now not so sure what to expect now– at least the Redskins for sure. But they have a good coach and their stadium seats over 90,000 so it will be a hostile enviroment– maybe when we start winning, the fans will chant– hire chilly, hire chilly, hire chilly.

8. By #1 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

FAVRE!!!! & FRAZ! NICE 0(: ^ D)>——+

9. By #1 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

JOE(THE GIANT)WEBB

10. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

To anyone who cares, I got back from my cottage about 2:30 your time. I was planning to spend the night, but the power had been turned off. I guess some mouth-breathing packer fan took the opportunity to impersonate me. Sort of the literary equivalent of break-and-enter, or forgery, two cowardly crimes that one associates with severely limited intellects.

11. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yep, someone tied to impersonate you to get you kicked off the boards.

12. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

BSAS, I’ve got a hunch I know who it was.

13. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I really wish they would come and debate, but they are cowards.

14. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah– when wipurplehead pointed out the misspelling of your username, I was embarrassed I even fell for it— the post did not seem like anything I had seen from you— but you know we really don’t know one another real well. Anyway, you can read the Impostor and then scroll down and see the bloggers who say — get rid of Nova, ban him— there among that, is your culprit.

15. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

i dony care bout nothing else i want to see joe webb play

16. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

joe webb

17. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

joe webb…joe webb yes i want to see joe webb..this year or next just give me tht lol

18. By Bruce on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Joe webb in the wildcat ;)

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Anyway, BSAS, all’s well that ends well. It really does prove that some people are not worth getting to know better.

20. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

joe webb..joe webb..joe webb…joe webb..joe webb..joe webb…

21. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yep, agreed Nova, but we all have our shortcomings. We have a lovely snowfall going on right now. What is the weather for DC on Sunday?

22. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

joe webb..joe webb..joe webb…joe webb..joe webb..wildcat with him ap and harvin

23. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

wildcat with joe webb..ap..harvin you can not tell me that dont sound good

24. By DONTELLY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

joe webb..joe webb..joe webb…joe webb..joe webb

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Clear and cool, for D.C. standards, but weatherpersons, internationally, have been known to be wrong before!

26. By Bruce on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

besane, those comments about shrinking up the playbook and playing with the saem players more consistantly was from Favre in his interview today. I thought he made some really VALID points.

27. By Doug on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

In Nova Scotia this evening it is wet snow and around 2C around 36F. Not bad great hunting weather. Have a nice 6 pointer coming to my apples.

28. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I agree Bruce– better to execute flawlessly then try and have so many plays, patterns, personnel, etc that there are slight errors that add up over time— it’s like restaurants having huge menus but all the food is mediocre– But Bruce, I had not seen that video posted till quiet a while after you spoke about it– I was looking for it– you must have early access to the press– Favre is very wise in the game –

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like venison for U.S. Thanksgiving, Doug!

30. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

If a Joe Webb were to play, it should be in a limited package coming in late in a game. If he were to start it should be against a defense that isn’t prone to multiple blitz packages. An environment where he can have immediate success. When you drag someone away from their remote to quarterback your team, you have to honor your end of the deal as long as they want to play.

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Anybody except Vick, Ziggy!

32. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I just tuned in to the Timber-puppies. If you’d have told me which team would have more wins at Thanksgiving, the Vikings or Timberwolves, I’d have gone with the PURPLE! The Wolves are hustling, up 9-6, and Darko hasn’t even begun to unleash his WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

NovaVike: You and I can breathe easy on Vick ever becoming a Viking. Wilf has really credited Chilly with having good character guys, and cleaning up the off the field image of the team. I’m hopeful Vick is rehabilitated, but that doesn’t change the past. I think Mr. Wilf would probably put a stop to any discussion of bringing Vick on board.

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Conner, I, like you, put Vick right up there with Packer fans.

35. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Years back the Vikes backed into the playoffs at 9-7. Jerry Burns flew the team out early in the week I think to Arizona. They practiced together, and had basicly a mini-camp and went out and beat the New Orleans Saints in New Orleans, and then beat the 49ers in San Fran. We came up a yard short with a Darrin Nelson run against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Redskins. I would recommend the Vikings consider doing this again now, to really get everyone back on the same page. Opposing viewpoints are welcome…

36. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Love-train has dropped 13 on the Spurs and it’s only the 1st quarter. Bizzaro-world is in full effect!

37. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope Frederick and BS@S are correct that teams won’t know what to expect and their will be a level of suprise. We’ve been very predictable, in a bad way. However, Frazier is a defensive guy, is he going to take over some of the offensive play calling? Are their things the defensive coaches have wanted to try that Childress was not in favor of? I don’t think we’re going to see necessarily different plays, or different starters as much as greater emphasis on execution and eliminate mistakes. Opposing viewpoints are welcome…

38. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

AGREED Conner. if we eliminate all the penalties (or most of them) and execute plays — that alone is enough for us to win. I do believe Favre will feel a lot more comfortable to make his own decisions– I like how Frazier spoke about Manning and how he runs the offense. Thanks for bringing in the 9-7 team that nearly made the Superbowl– it is not impossible. However, if you dissect the standings, there are a lot of teams with decent, not great, but decent records at the moment— But there are 6 games left– that is more than a third of the season, so who knows– we may be in the playoffs — As of now, we need to focus one game at a time– and just maybe, just maybe—

39. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

BS&S: Agreed. I was just thinking for Frazier to put his own mark on the team going forward. I too, hope for a chance at the playoffs, but. Atlanta, N.O., Tampa, Giants, Eagles, Packers, Bears, Rams. So many teams ahead of us that somewhere Jim Mora is going on a rant PLAYOFFS? Conner are you CRAZY? I Just HOPE WE CAN WIN ANOTHER GAME!!!!

40. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yes, I know about all the teams– we can only take one game at a time and take care of what we can control. The irony is Sunday’s loss, which led to Chilly’s removal and renewed hope in the fans, was what killed a decent chance at the playoffs if we had/will win out– Chicago has an incredibly tough schedule now. Well, we need to just enjoy the journey for now.

41. By Just Win on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

The only thing that’s going to change on the offense is more interceptions by Favre. Frasier has no clue on offenese, which meants without Chilly, Favre will have more freedom to throw to the wrong colored jersey more often.

If you’re a Vikings fan hoping to have the number 1 draft pick next year, rest assured you’ll get it with Favre continuning to start. If on the other hand you want to see the team win and get a jump-start for next year, obviously T-Jack’s the answer. Why? Because T-Jack can’t do any worse since Favre has the WORST QB rating for all starters.

42. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

@ Just win– thanks for your opinion, it may appear valid by mere review of statistics, but actual game film does not back your claim.

43. By mrsmiff on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I think we can win out…

44. By mr smiff on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

…but what about the o-line?

45. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Fred, we can win out.

46. By Observerfan on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Favre makes sense to me…pass to people your comfortable with,keeping it simple,altho I would like to see more fakes to AP,then throw the bomb,without interceptions.

47. By mr smiff on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

JustaLoser, another one who refuses to get it. Sigh…

48. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I’d stop short of saying Frazier has “no clue’ about offense. All of us seem to have some idea what may work to get the offense going, and I never played Pro football. Fraziers defensive experience can carry over to understanding offensive schemes and personnel that can be tough to defend. Let’s hope for a great start on Sunday, and be thankful this Thanksgiving to be free!!!!

49. By CaribooBill on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

All you guys in the States – HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    I think it is a smart thing for Frazier to not change too much right away. Let’s see how the players react to the coaching and atmosphere change and concentrate on eliminating mistakes. If there is no response (which I doubt will happen), then it is time to make changes. I think you want to get the ship on an even keel before you try to see how fast it will go.
    My 2 cents.

50. By Just Win on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Last I checked, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, etc. are all retired. Point being that if age didn’t matter, then I’d rather have one of those guys than Favre or T-Jack.

All of you that think the Vikes will win out or “all of a sudden” Favre will stop throwing interceptions, fumbling, committing drive stopping intential grounding penalties and sacks are not facing reality. We’re NOT in 2009 and YES we all get old and die. Favre has the worst QB rating for a reason, because mentally and physically he’s 42 NOT 24. As a result, what you’ve seen this year from him will be what you get (or worse) the last 6 games.

God, I can’t wait for T-Jack to come in and win some games and prove all of you wrong.

51. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Just Win– prove you wrong right now– Favre is 41, not 42.

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

52. By Just Win on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Yes. I stand corrected. Favre is 41, not 42.

Also I forgot to add that at least half the teams with winning records have an O-Line and receiving corp that has less talent and are playing worse then the Vikes (e.g. Bears, Jaguars, etc.), but yet they all having winning records. It’s because their QBs are playing WAY better than Favre. Actually all the QB’s are playing better than Favre.

Actually doesn’t matter how the O-Line or Receiving corp is playing, because it’s still Favre that’s missing wide open receivers, not able to move out of the pocket and avoid the rush, throwing to the wrong team, not securing the ball, not able to get outside the tackles to avoid intential grounding penalties, etc.

53. By animal26 on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

you are funny Just Win. Favre gives this team the best chance to win games. T Jack cant win games in the clutch and proved it, when he did start. Favre on the other hand has won many games in the clutch over his career. I can tell you this right now. Jackson will be gone after this year, so it really doesn’t makes sense to keep someone, who will not be with the vikings next year.

54. By animal26 on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Play someone*

55. By wipurplehead on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

I have posted before about Vick, but there is no way that I want that piece of stuff on my favorite team!!! When are posters going to leave that whole train of thought alone??? He has not even come close to paying his dues. His salary thru NO choice of his, should be confiscated and given to any animal rescue/provider. I was able to ride the dark storm(chilly), but I have to say that if that low life EVER becomes our QB…..I’m gone!! That would cap the 40+ years and drive me away. When it was joked about a few years ago by my friends, I said at that time…IF HE COMES I GO…SIMPLE!! This sport of football just fills the gap between baseball and I can easily walk away!

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

It seems that you and I agree on many things WIPURPLEHEAD. People tend to forget that most crimes involve either love or money, Vick was a millionaire several times over, so he practiced this despicable “hobby” for the pure “pleasure” it gave him. If he comes, I go also and there are many more that think as we do.

57. By rocksalt on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Vick, and any other player convicted of a felony crime, should not be allowed to play in the NFL.period!

58. By hippster on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

paying 1 mill a game for an average of 2 ints per game dosnt add up. brett looks almost lost out there,its time for a change .with out protection from the o-line we need someone with young legs so instead of a sack or int we get some positive yards now and then.tds instead of field goals would go a long way.wheres the running game ?

59. By DRS on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

No QB can win with the bad play from the hole team. Not even Vik.

60. By DONTELLY on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

@ROCKSALT..THATS SOME BULLS**T…

61. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

…..Breaking News……Breaking News…….Green Bay (AP)……..Tragedy was averted on this Thanksgiving Thursday when a homemade toaster-oven exploded in a Green Bay trailer park. The fire was contained to a single trailer. 36 members of the Doorstop family all escaped with first-degree turkey grease burns, but are all now homeless……( Reporter)….”Chief, what happened?”…….(Firechief)….”Seems that they built a toaster-oven out of 4 pieces of Plexiglass, 6 propane torches and a 76 Chevy Vega.”……(Rep)….”36 members of the same family?”…..(FC)….”We’re pretty sure they’re Doorstops. They all have 7 webbed toes on each foot.”……(Rep)….”Mothers,daughters,sisters,wives, aunts?”…..(FC) “Sometimes, all in one.” (Victim being wheeled to ambulance)…” I TOLD THEM it should have been on the TOP RACK!!!!”……(Rep)….” Was there anything salvaged?”…..(FC)..140 cases of ” Night Train” wine.”…..( Rep)…..” How could anyone be so foolish to cook a 35lb. turkey in a homemade toaster-oven?”………(FC)..” They were Packer Fans.”

62. By mr smiff on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

If you people wanted a young qb who can make plays with his feet, then you all had no business begging Favre to come back. Instead you stick him behind a cr@ppy o-line and expect him to effectively do his job while he’s constantly picking himself up off the ground. I expect this from those losers on Fox Sports and Rod “Favresux” Woodson, but you so-called Vikings fans have no sense of honour or loyalty. When will you people get it? Favre is busting his @$$ to win for YOU GUYS?

63. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Breaking News…… Breaking News….. The local chapter of the Green Bay S.P.C.A. is urgently seeking homes for 454 cats and a mongrel dog named “Goober.”

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

SueGVikes4Ever, thank you for the kind words

65. By fred smith on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

its time to start rebuilding for next year!Q If Leslie Frazier cant make the hard decisions he wont last as head couch we should cut Brett pat w and other players that wont be back next year and use the salary cap savings to resign Peterson and other people we need to resign this year . Start Webb at quarterback to find out if he can make it in the NFL or we need to use a high draft choice on a quarterback Webb looked impressive in preseason against 2nd stringers and should be given a chance.

66. By VikingsDx3 on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Fred, Joe Webb is the future QB, don’t you doubt it for a minute. He roxx soxx. No joke. But for the remainder of the year we got Favre. Which to say, I think he really will do his best that he is capable of. It’s not like the interceptions this year were even his fault. If our guys can’t catch the ball when it’s put right in their hands, you can’t blame the QB… It’s THAT SIMPLE. Have fun Vikes, you guys need it, and so do we.

2. Nov 24, 2010: Frazier Feels Comfortable Managing On Game Day | Vikings Stop Blog