Moving Forward With Frazier

Posted by cjsiewert on November 23, 2010 – 6:53 am

Seven losses over 10 games, alleged finger-pointing amongst teammates and any questions about the player’s support of their head coach can and will be put to a rest from an organizational standpoint, and Vikings Interim Head Coach Leslie Frazier made that perfectly clear during his introductory press conference on Monday.

“There’s really no reason, no benefit for us to stand up or talk to anyone about what has happened in the past and try and explain away what has happened in the past,” Frazier said. “The most important thing that we can do as a group is to embrace this moment, take advantage of it and correct whatever situation there is that has contributed to our being three-and-seven, period.”

Along with the expectation that his players put forth their best effort “every single snap,” as Mike covered, Frazier stressed an expectation of nothing less than a team effort from each player, rather than an individual effort. It is clear that Frazier will not tolerate selfish play amongst his players.

“I don’t think that there is anybody on our team that can stand back and say, ‘You know what, I’ve done my part, I’m not the reason we’re three-and-seven,’” Frazier acknowledged. “And if we have a guy like that, that guy is being a selfish individual. We want guys that understand the importance of team, and that’s whether you’re on the offensive line, whether you’re a running back or quarterback or wide receiver. That’s the mantra across the board.

“There is nobody on our team right now that is satisfied with where we are and should be able to say that ‘I’m doing my part.’ No. We got to do better across the board.”

Frazier and his team’s effort will be put to the test this Sunday in Washington against the Redskins. Perhaps the most daunting task of playing the Redskins for Frazier’s first game at the helm is the fact that it will be played at FedEx Field. The Vikings have not won a road game in over a year – they beat the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on Nov. 11 last season.

Frazier mentioned that he will be making calls to Brad Childress for advise over the remainder of the season, and the most relevant advise that he might ask this week is how to beat the Redskins in their own house.

In Childress’ first regular season game as head coach of the Vikings in 2006, the Vikings beat the Redskins at FedEx Field by a mark of 19-16. The victory marked Childress’ first win as a head coach in the NFL and you can bet that Frazier will be looking for a similar result in his first appearance in that same capacity.

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 53 Comments »

53 Responses to “Moving Forward With Frazier”

1. By Bill Greene on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Brad Childress was fired? Why? There’s still plenty of footbal to be played.

2. By david williams on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

You guys just don’t get it.You’ve learned nothing from the Jets experiment with Favre.Sit him now and save your season.Oh by the way ,that experiment ended with a coach getting fired as well.You guys are so caught up in the Favre magic that you’re ignoring reality.

3. By prplepepleaters on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

After last year, I thought Brad Childress could do it again, but things just weren’t in sync this year. His inability to communicate with Brett was obvious, and vice versa. It always takes two to tango. I wish Brad good luck in the future and hope that Leslie can pull my beloved Vikings up from the bootstraps and get on with the game of football. Change is inevitable in everything we do, so maybe this is just what the organization needs. Good luck Leslie, Brett, and the entire team; let’s finish this season with our heads held high!

4. By Robins on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Vikings give it their all for Frazier. It is sad how poorly they played for Childress. Brett needs protection, and receivers that can catch the ball. The defense needs to stop the other team! Step up or don’t take your pay check. It is amazing how players don’t do their jobs and then the coach gets fired. We know you had talent last year now let us see what you can do… a little late but how about it? Help Brett!!!!

5. By Gannbino on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Great comment!! Brett Favre has gotten 2 coaches fired upon his road to redemption with his turnovers and wreckless playing. The first mistake chilly made was making a deal with the devil (Favre). This organization still hasn’t learned anything, Fraizer still willing to play Favre, why?

6. By MTVike on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m just hopeful that Leslie was being held back by Brad, and that now he will get aggressive. Against the Cards, he ran 5 and 6 guys after the QB, and it worked. Hopefully he has seen that we need to run AP against the grain: Student body left, AP right & vise-versa. Jump on teams early and put the pressure on. Play to win and win big, instead of just trying to be there at the end(playing “not to lose”). No matter who our QB is, we need to get him a couple seconds in the pocket. I hope he can work Jackson and Webb into some games, to see what direction to head next year, but we need to play every game as a must win. SKOL

7. By Packer Fan on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I just hope he improves something… Although I bleed green and gold I don’t want the vikings to move. The Rivalry is awesome and this last Sunday was a joke… make the changes you need and improve the team.

8. By MTVike on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

A Packer fan with class! I like it!

9. By chriskox on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Good luck for the rest of the season with Frazier, try to make a bit more of the 50th with fond memories of great teams past, and a drive for 9-7 or 8-8 from here.

10. By vikeforever on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Leslie,I like the fact that you stood up and annointed Farve as your qb in public but I hope you do try to get Jackson or Webb in for a few plays just to open the playbook a little more. Keep the defense off the field you should have sucess. Go Vikings, finish this thing!!

11. By vikes blogger on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

http://www.cole-wolvesvikingsblog.blogspot.com/ read what the Vikings should do next and leave a comment saying what you think

12. By Jerel Williams on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree. i’m a die-hard Vikings fan and they need to sit Favre and put Jackson in a couple of games. See what he can do. As anyone seen him play when Favre was injured in the game against the Cowboys?

13. By Woodboat on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I don’t even know where to start…

How about, Jackson is a horrible QB that SHOULD be in the same car with Childress leaving Minn. They play Favre because he gives them the best chance to win, sad as that is. You put either of those young guys behind that line, and they will be dog meat ala David Carr.

Play Webb to see if he can hang at this level for a series here and there. If he can’t, look to the draft for your future, Vikes, because Jackson isn’t it. Of course, you already know this or he’d be playing by now.

14. By packerfanfirst on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Ziggy is totally clueless and so are the fans. Don’t think for one second the team will be in the playoffs this year or the state in 5 years.

15. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

packerfanfirst, I doubt many people take your blog seriously. Please stay on your own site.

16. By Vikings Canada on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Me and 9 of my friends traveled 8 hours by car from Canada in the Ice Storm to watch this sad spectacle unfold. It was pretty pathetic hearing the GB fans out cheer their team. At times I thought I was in GB.

I lost a lot of respect for these players. It wasn’t only Childress’s fault the Vikings were at 3-6. Players have to play. That’s what they get paid for. Doesn’t matter if you like the coach or not. Just play the f#$#ing game.

I agree the head coach had to be fired in order to shake things up and also take responsibility for the 3-6 record. I feel bad the way things have unfolded for him.

But hey that’s business (whops sorry football).

Good Luck to the new coach. I hope you win at least the next couple games or your NFL coaching career will never get off the ground. I wouldn’t want the players giving up on you too soon.

BTW WILF, while in MINNI, I couldn’t stomach the Vikings logo any more so I left without purchasing any thing to take back with me. Maybe stepping in earlier to resolve some of these issues and there would have been a better outcome sooner and you would have sold alot more merchandise.

But hey that’s business….. I mean football….

17. By B-Pro on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a viking fan for almost 40 years and am from PA. and now live in NC. I was glad to see a coaching change to Frazier. When he had his press conf. and said favre was his guy that was telling me that he wasn’t concerned about future but about winning now. So he wasn’t worried about what TJ could do now for possible future. The reason I’m saying this is because he’s coaching for another job next year. I have several close friends with 2 of them working in the Carolina organization and his name is very high on list to replace fox. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see him leave after season regardless how he does in the last 6 games.

18. By William Shipley on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I think that Childress’s key error was cutting Moss so quickly without consultation. That simply reflected an emotional reaction rather than good judgement. Even if it was the right thing to do, he had an obligation to get the organization ready for such a dramatic move. At that point, I think his job was gone unless he kept winning — since winning excuses all sins.

19. By tman on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

MTVike gave some really good points as to turning this team around. I hope that Frazier implements major changes in defensive philosophy or else things will stay the same.

20. By craig s on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i cant beleive people are questioning playing brett f.who else?tavaris?come on brett could be in a wheelchair and would be the better choice,dont forget,chli was the only one who liked tavaris,he is not nfl material..

21. By B-Pro on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Even with coaching change this team will do no better than 3-3 the last 6 games, when we still have to play the giants,eagles(how are we going to stop vick in phila) and of course chicago and detriot,wash,and bills will be difficult to beat.

22. By Animal on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

it is good that we fired chilly he had his head up his ass half the time pour play calling. And we need to Get webb in the game i think he is the next michal vick in the NFL And they also need to get the ball to AP in the screen game. Are defense of backs suck we need some guys that can cover and catch the dam ball

23. By mike, the lost vike on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree with frazier to keep Favre in because it’s not his fault that we are 3 and 7. The offensive line played horrible, the defense secondary stinks, no defensive pass rush, let’s talk about the receiving group which was handcuffed right off with Rice going down. And then throw in a terrible coach to the above mix…..Let Favre play this week and see if the rest of the team plays also. Don’t forget that Favre wasn’t coming back this year and the vikings went after him. Show some respect and integrity before you cast him out like dead wood.

24. By Justin on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

@ Bill Greene

Childress was allowing the Vikings to slide into a downward spiral. Nothing was working and he wasn’t doing much to correct the problems. He was essentially a lame-duck coach this year.

25. By stephanie on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I am tired of everyone blaming Brett Favre. He was begged to come back and it’s not like they have anyone else to rely on as quarterback. The only person that believed in Jackson was Childress and now he is gone and Jackson should be too. Let Favre finnish this season, next season start fresh with a new quartback and coach. You can’t put all the blame on Favre. Has anyone but me seen the stuff he has been blamed for? Maybe if the receivers would get it together they could turn interceptions into catches. I am glad Childress is gone and this should have been done a long time ago. I will support the Vikings and Favre 100% of the way. If anything, Wilf should have fired Childress 5 games ago!

26. By rocksalt on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope Frazier can turn this thing around

27. By Dennis on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

If Favre had not turned the ball over 22 times, Would we still be 3 and 7? If you turn the ball over 22 times, that means your defense has to play 22 extra series, not to mention all the 3 and outs they had this season. Don’t you think defenses get tired? It also increases the chance that your young secondary will get burned. Favre is the problem this season. Sit him down and play Tavaris and let Web get his feet wet as well. Get something positive going for next year.

28. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

they were talking on the NFL channel, if Miami misses the playoffs, both Tony Sparano and Parcells might be coming over here. this is from a reliable source

29. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

we must have the worse offensive line in the entire NFL. other teams we play either have 6 seconds to throw, or the qb is running down the field for huge gains. Farve only gets 2 seconds to throw the ball

30. By mrsmiff on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I think Frazier is right to keep Favre. Win or lose he always fights to the end. But what he intends to do about the mess of an o-line? If he does nothing, then it makes no sense playing Favre. Why should he continue to endure more abuse, turnovers and hostility from the fans? Besides, AP needs it too. He hasn’t had a 100-yard rushing game in a while.

31. By Stephanie on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I think people are missing the point with the Favre turnovers…the reason for the turnovers are partly bad decisions, but also fluke plays (bouncing off receivers and receivers falling down), lack of protection, and lack of receiver depth (and a deep threat). Why do you think he protected the ball so well last year? his o-line pretected him well for the most part and he had the same receivers including Sidney Rice all last year. how many receivers have been moved in and out of the line-up at different positions week to week? remember the Chicago game in the fourth quarter? Berrian, Rice, and Harvin were all on the bench. he can’t carry the team by himself anymore. he played outstanding last year, but the team played well around him. this year that’s not the case.

32. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i know one thing, is Greg Lewis is a starting wideout for us again next year, we will have another losing year. he can’t even get open and he always has one on one coverage. we need moss back here

33. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

going into the season we were ranked 3rd in the power Rankings. were ranked #29 now. bad coaching says it all

34. By Pete on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

If you do not agree that the problem resides withe the Offensive line, than you have not payed attn to the O line. You must be caught up watching the other players. Watch the O Line and see how little time AP has, how little time Farve has and wonder why the O LIne coach still has a job. Besides, that, if any player looks like they are not trying, it is the O line the last few games. No one is perfect. You can never win a game if you have no O Line period. The D line has some lousy games too.

35. By Pete on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Wilf and his partners are the best owner the Vikings have ever had. Not because he fired Chilly specifically either. McCombs cut corners and ran the team into the ground not willing to invest into the Vikings. Wilf and his partners are willing to do whatever it takes to make this a winning team and that includes spending money and making tough decision. Hiring Chily was not a perfect decision, but it was the right decision at the time. At the time, the Vikings were in turmoil from the McComb years We needed a disciplinary type coach to get things back on track. I heard some people saying that Wilf had a bad press conference cause he did not spill the beans as he read from queue cards. Do we care about the beans? NO, we want to win games and feel good about winning. Do we care about how well Wilf is in public speaking? NO, we want to feel good as we watch talent flying around making sacks and scoring TDs.

36. By Pete on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Wilf has only made decisions to help the Vikings WIN, to help us get interceptions, get sacks, score TDs, make blocks etc…

I have full confidence that he knows whats best when he let Chilly go. After all, it directly cost him money to fire Chilly.

I have always liked to see how Frazier would do. Heck, I wanted to see how Tomlin would do, how Dungy would do, How Billick would do.

Finally, I get to see us try out one of our best. (I never wondered how Tice would do, I liked him, but he was doomed from the start with McCombs cutting corners like that)

37. By plaxico furris on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

fire child, change it again to hire billick!

38. By SoCalVike on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

We need to start taking *Starcaps* again!

39. By Observerfan on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

To make myself feel better about the Team I watched some of last Year’s games…and what a difference…Everyone healthy,Jared Allen Making Sacks,AP running the ball,Chester Taylor Contributing,and Favre looking good…Green Bay getting sacked in the End Zone for a Safety…I felt better …much better

40. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i think we can bounce back next year, only because we have a owner thats willing to spend the money for good free agents. Pete is right, i remember them McCombs days, whenever a good free agent come along, we would pass them up because he didn’t want to break the wallet open. we have a owner now thats willing to break the wallet open, thats one big reason i think we will rebound next year

41. By MTVike on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I do appreciate that Wilf is a “willing to do what it takes” kind of owner. He’s given us some amazing talent. I hope that Leslie will bring some creativity to the table. I wish I could go to a practice, and try some unique plays. Every coach should take a “freeze frame” look at teams as their punter starts to drop the ball. Most defenders are already headed back to block for the return. Philly did that this week! I’ve got a Hail Mary that is Full of Grace! What I don’t understand is why our O-line is so much worse than last year. Are teams just blitzing us more?

42. By fireD childress on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

it’s too bad they waited so long to fire Chilly, Frazier can’t pull us out of this hole. lets play Webb for at least 2 quarters a game to see if he’s going to amount to anything. the next 6 games are like pre-season games now, nothing to lose

43. By viking 1 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

to the Wilf brothers:congragulations on hiring frazier,i believe if giving him time he could be another tony dungy. & speaking of tony dungy why not bring him to be in charge of players personnal,he & frazier could be perfect match to bring a super bowl to my beloved vikings(i been a fan for 35 yrs)go vikings.

44. By Just Win on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

We have to be fair in our evaluation of Favre and T-Jack. When T-Jack played the Eagles in the playoffs, he had less time than Favre has had in ANY game these past 2 seasons, yet everyone said it’s T-Jack’s fault. Never mind the fact that this same Eagles team beat Romo the week prior 44-6 and beat Manning the week after 23-11, with both Romo and Manning having WORSE QB ratings than T-Jack.

So when the Vikes lose now, it’s not Favre’s fault but everyone else. When Favre throws a pick-six, it’s the receivers fault. If Favre fumbles, it’s the o-line’s fault.

This is why the Vikings will lose most of their last 6 games. You can fool the fans, people in the media and Ziggy, but you can’t fool with the facts. Favre has the WORST Starting QB rating in the league, because he earned this dubious distinction himself.

45. By Old School on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Brett hasn’t gotten anyone fired………their lack of sack has gottem them fired for not being able to pull the trigger on him and sitting him! I think, if I’m Ziggy, I look to see how Frazier handles Brett if he goes out there during the Redskins game and throws picks early. If I’m Ziggy……I look….does he have the sack to pull him…..? If he does ….HE MIGHT BE MY MAN!

Let’s not waste anymore time, the season is over, so let’s take this next 6 games to look at some of the talent on this team…or lack of talent……..in the Secondary, at QB……….YES, I AM SAYING IT…..PLAY T-JACK SO WE DON’T WASTE THE FIRST 6 GAMES OF NEXT SEASON FINDING OUT IF HE CAN OR CAN’T DO IT!

LET’S START USING OUR HEADS HERE!

46. By Old School on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

The rest of this season isn’t about ripping off 6 wins in a row…………BECAUSE THAT’S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN…WE STILL HAVE GAMES AGAINST THE GIANTS………..WHICH OUR O-LINE IS GOING TO GET SMOKED AND SO WILL ANY QB WHO CAN’T SCRAMBLE…..BRETT….AND WE AND OUR SECONDARY WILL GET TOURCHED AT PHILLY!

SO STOP DREAMING…THIS IS ABOUT FRAZIER AND LOOKING AT THIS TEAM FOR NEXT YEAR!

PERIOD!

47. By Old School on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

ANYONE WHO THINKS IT’S ABOUT TRYING TO WIN 6 IN A ROW AND LIMPING INTO THE PLAY-OFFS NEEDS TO GET OFF THE BLOG AND SIT IN THEIR BEDROOM WHILE THEY WAIT FOR SANTA TO COME SLIDING DOWN THEIR FIRE PLACE!!!!!!!

THE EASTER BUNNY IS TO FAR OFF…STAY IN THE BEDROOM FOR THAT TOO…BEFORE YOU COME BACK TO THE BLOG……….THE SEASON WILL BE OVER BY THEN!

48. By Old School on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

THIS ARTICLE IS CALLED “MOVING FORWARD WITH FRZIER”…………!

AND BY THE WAY…SIT FAVRE…NOW THY ARE SAYING THAT HIS AGENT HAS TRIED TO PAY OFF THAT CHICK…………….

NO WAY THAT THIS GUYS HEAD HIS WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE ……..NO WAY!

TIME TO MOVE FORWARD…………..

49. By DRS on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Winning six in a row is not about getting to the play offs. It is all about pride! Now it would be nice if the Vikings made the play offs, but not expected this year. Miracles do happen though. I remember when the Vikings had pack up for the year and all were ready to go on vacation when Seattle Sea hawks lost their final game sending the Vikings to the play offs. So believing in Santa Clause is not a bad thing! So do not take your anger issues out on others. Go get some therapy and chill out man.

50. By DRS on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

If the oline plays as they have in the last few games, no QB could win! It takes a team to win or lose! Maybe the Viking should fire the hole team? Go with a who ever they can get from all the other teams.

51. By rocksalt on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Old School is dead on……..

52. By Pete on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

I have been waiting since I was a little kid to see the Vikings Win a super Bowl. I have seen lame teams take us out with lame calls and mystical plays. Like Arizona getting a TD on a push out of bounds in the End Zone, or the Vikings having the worst game of the year against KC in the super bowl. Or when GB WR catches the ball on his back and does not even know he caught it, then he stands up and runs in a TD. Really mystical stuff. The missed FG vs Atl.

SO if I want to believe in SANTA and the EASTER Bunny, leave me to it. A man can dream can’t he..

Skol Vikings, lets win 6 games!

2. Nov 23, 2010: Moving Forward With Frazier | Vikings Stop Blog