Week 11 NFC North Roundup

Posted by cjsiewert on November 22, 2010 – 9:28 am

By this time of year, divisional races tend to form into relatively concrete molds and that is truly the case with the NFC North.

We won’t delve into the Vikings loss since it’s been well-chronicled over the past 20 hours, but it’s clear that the Packers may have doused the pilot light on the Vikings playoff flame. But regardless of Sunday’s outcome, let’s take a look around the division.

The Bears played their Week 11 game on Thursday night against the Miami Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium and came out victorious by a mark of 16-0.

Just 4 days removed from a home victory over the Vikings, the Bears defense continued its dominance by shutting out the Dolphins and holding them to 187 total yards of offense.

Chicago tallied 6 sacks in the contest, led by DE Julius Peppers with 3.0. LB Lance Briggs recorded a team-high 7 stops and CB Charles Tillman grabbed an INT.

K Robbie Gould provided most of the Bears points with 3 FGs from 46, 24 and 50 yards while RB Matt Forte ran in the lone TD on a 2-yard plunge.

The Bears will host the red-hot Philadelphia Eagles (7-3) next Sunday in a matchup between NFC divisional leaders.

On the other spectrum of the NFC North, the Detroit Lions couldn’t manage to climb out of their losing rut by falling to the resurging Dallas Cowboys 35-19 in Arlington, Texas.

Despite holding a 5-point lead midway through the 3rd quarter, the Lions couldn’t take advantage of punt placed near the goal line as it was batted out of the endzone and then bounced into the hands of Dallas’ Bryan McCann, who returned it 97 yards for the go-ahead TD.

Dallas tacked on 3 more TDs after the punt return, dropping the Lions to 2-8. Detroit has now lost an NFL record 26 road games in a row dating back to the 2007 season.

The Lions will host the New England Patriots (8-2) in their annual Thanksgiving Day game this Thursday at Ford Field.

Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 92 Comments »

92 Responses to “Week 11 NFC North Roundup”

1. By Mike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Fire Childress Fire Childress Fire Childress

Bench Farve Bench Farve Bench Farve

I’ve seen HS football players do better than those two clowns.

2. By Mike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I have given away all my Viking Tickets except for the Giants game and if nobody takes them, they might just sit on the counter and not get used.

I just can’t stand the way Childress manages the games and how Wilf won’t do anything about it. Garbage In = Garbage Out !!!!

3. By Justin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

“The Packers thrashed the Vikings 31-3 in front of a disappointed Mall of America Field crowd on Sunday, seemingly wiping out any remaining playoff hopes for the Purple. With the win, Green Bay moved into a 1st-place tie with the Chicago Bears atop the division at 7-3 – 4 games ahead of the Vikings with 6 remaining. ”

Mr. Seiwert, “seemingly” isn’t the appropriate word to use in this situation. We were eliminated from the payoffs. Plain and Simple. There’s not a chance we win the last 6 games in a row and finish the season 9-7. 9-7 will not be enough to get into the wildcard.

4. By fire childress on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

instead of writing articles about how bad we sit in the North, why not write articles that we have issues with like coaching? Mike W. and all you other writers should be fired, just like Chilly !!!

5. By Robins on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe our players with all of their talent last year, can’t do a thing this year. What the heck happened? To be beat by the Bears and the Packers was really, really sad. Vikings, please wake up and play like last year.

6. By Dr0wssap on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

So how are all my cry baby friends from Vikings land doing this oh so fine morning? So the Vikings are going to beat the 3 time Superbowl winning Greenbay Packers huh?….what joke! Do you tards have all those tears dried up yet? I am just wondering how big those dried up snot bubbles on the tip of your greasy noses are? What a bunch of bawling losers you dummies are. At least you won one thing yesterday, mine and rest of the nations PITY….. HaHaHaHa…….LOSERS !!!

7. By fire childress on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Dr0wssap – YOUR A BU TTBANGER

8. By GWViking on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

DrOass…be thankful. You not a long road to hoe. Remember last year? Hum..What goes arround comes arround. You are the loser pal. Stay off our site dkwd.

9. By BE SANE, SERIOUS & ANGRY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations DrWasp, but I will tell you I did not shed one tear. It is a beautiful morning– a lot to be thankful for. Enjoy the win, but as much as the loss is sour for Vikings fans, there must be a hint of sourness in your celebration– after all, it is clear from all the interviews and watching the game, that the Vikings did not come to play– come on, seriously, you think you really won that game by such a wide margin?

10. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

USE the power of Pinesoil honey!!!

11. By packerfanfirst on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Little boy is in court because his parents are getting divorced. Judge asks little boy, “son, would you like to live with your Dad.’ Little boy replies, “no, my dad beats me.” Judges asks little boy, “son, would you like to live with your mother.” little boy replies, “no, my mother beats me, too. Can I live with the Vikings, they never beat anyone.”

12. By SmileyStar on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Bye Childress. Can we get Randy Moss back now?? Is Favre the new head coach?

13. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Gentlemen, CLEAN IT UP!!!

14. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes, I yelled at those of you using the FOUL LANGUAGE!!!

15. By BE SANE, SERIOUS & ANGRY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Packerfans enjoy it while you can– these opportunities do not come around every year, so I hope you guys do well if you get to the big dance.

16. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Sane,

How is that prediction of your holding up? No so good. Now you say the players are not playing. I know for a fact they stopped playing a long time ago. What is your prediction now? I know they will win the final six and make the playoffs. I just hope they do not move to LA.

17. By BE SANE, SERIOUS & ANGRY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Frederick Jones– do you really think you can educate these people?

18. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Randy Moss was cut in an attempt not to make a bad situation even worse. I’ll bet there are 30 other Head Coaches in the NFL that agree with the decision. In fact there are others who should be cut off the Vikings right now. Some of the STARS are causing the most problems.

19. By SmileyStar on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Childress FIRED!!!! Packers poor 40’s on the curb for Brad Childress!!

20. By SmileyStar on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Childress FIRED!!!! Packers pour 40’s on the curb for Brad Childress!!

21. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Sane, you changed your name! Mine inspires hatred and swearing from the diehard negative nellies, and naysayers. It also gives them fuel to joke about me. IT’S ALL GOOD!!!

22. By BE SANE, SERIOUS & ANGRY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

@David Plowman, I knew it to a point too, but yesterday it was most of the team– prior games at least there were enough players still trying. Anyway, I am waiting for the coaching changes before I make any more predictions for this year. Next year there are way too many variables going on— I will say I predict my own life to go very well in the coming new year. After all, I have no control over the Vikings— that is why the losses are only disappointing within context— it does not ruin my day, nor cause me to cry or lose sleep—- shoot for the stars, maybe you land on the moon.

23. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Oops, you are right Fred, it was just after last night when I saw how much the players had given up– that was pathetic– regardless of who is coach, as a player you need to play with your whole capacity– with integrity– and really, that is the core dividing line in that team right now— between the professionals who are playing their hearts out and the jokers who have given up.

24. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Sane, I know other people who also predict the Vikings to win most of their games. It’s a better way to support your team than by bashing the players on it. That’s what most people do, especially if the team is losing.

25. By packerfanfirst on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

You can thank the Packers for granting your wishes.

26. By fire childress on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

they just fired chilly !!!!!!!!!!

27. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

BREAKING NEWS— CHILDRESS WAS FIRED!!!!!!! Just read it on ESPN

28. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I find it hard to believe there are SEVERAL Packers and Bear fans on this site. I think they are posers!

29. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Well, that is only half of it— now let’s see who will replace him.

30. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

woot woot, bu bye childress yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh, Frazier for the moment–

32. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Now the rebuilding process will be easier.

33. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Poor little chilly

34. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Where’s Nova to perform the memorial?

35. By packerfanfirst on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

No posers here, freddie.

36. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Leslie Frazier is the new Coach?

37. By David on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Wahooooooooo! ITS about time!!

38. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

packerfan,

Anybody can change their name on a blog!

39. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Do it call it last night or what! Thank you Wilf Family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Now get rid of the koke reporters that cover the vikings. All will be well.

41. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

joke reporters I meant.

42. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

This was no surprise, but it should have been after New England. At any rate, let me hear what everyone thinks Frazier brings to the table– do the players respect him?

43. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

“Did I”…wow…sorry I am a little excited!

44. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I think that the present coaching staff should only be around until season’s end. It was not just the offense that stopped playing. The whole team has stopped so I think the whole staff needs to be let go. Players that should be let go:
    All DB’s. All offensive line. All receivers. TJ

45. By ozzinator on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Glad to hear it!
    firechildress, you have to change your name now.
    Here’s to ya.

46. By Pinebrigade on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanksgiving week is off to a good start. I’d like to thank Zygi for firing Chldress,…..

47. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

OH HAPPY DAY!!!

48. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

In other words another 10 years of rebuilding. I hope they are still in Minnesota at that time and I hope they do not have a lame duck coach then either. Also get rid of the GM. Look at the draft picks the last several years. The only good ones were Rice and AP. All others a wash. Look at TJ (joke), Gerhardt (cannot catch a flu), Cook (worst DB in the league). So many bad draft picks. Should have picked a QB this past year. Oh well. Time will tell.

49. By Stoney on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

why can’t we hire a real head coach with expirience? 3 or 4 coaches in a row that were never a head coach. The job Frazier did with the “D” this season does not fill me with confidence. This team needs an established tough head coach. Just my 2 cents.

50. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Well, I hope Leslie Frazier is the long-term solution to the Vikings problem. If we have 5 head coaches in the next 3 years, WATCH OUT! Usually that’s not a good thing. I think the Vikings will rally around Leslie Frazier

51. By BigTMoss84 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

A HUGE RELIEF!!!!!!HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT A VERRYY NIIICCCEE WAY TO USHER IN THE HOLIDAYS”THE GRINCH IS GONE!!!!!!!!!”

52. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We’ll see what happens Stoney…give the man a chance before you go running him outta Dodge! lol…notice the word INTERIM! meaning they’re trying him out

53. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Look at that, we already have 2 fans AGAINST THE NEW COACH. He’s hasn’t even had a chance to start, and he’s in the doghouse with some fans. Didn’t we learn anything from the Childress rein? Support the coach!!!

54. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Do not be a negative nelly or naysayer. Give Frazier a chance!!!?

55. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree fred…SUPPORT LESLIE!!!

56. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Takes time to build a winning team– like turning the Titanic– from the moment you change course to the moment you actually see the ship move off its present course always has a lag– like developing pics in the dark room— things are happening out of sight— we don’t want a new coach every year—– But I agree with some other bloggers— we need a coach that has experience like a Billick— that would be awesome.

57. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree with VAvike, Support Frazier. I think the players will be behind him!!!

58. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

You support a coach that has proven something positive. The only thing I have sen from Frazier is a defense that is going from bad to worse. Get a whole new coaching staff and a new GM and season’s end.

59. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Support the coach— Fred are you serious? Have you not learned the atmosphere on these blogs? One loss and we will see new usernames like— firefrazier

60. By BigTMoss84 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Yeah,support the coaches!!!It ALL falls on the players shoulders now,since the are rid of their problem child ,the old coach!!!!Good luck boys and go get’em!!!!!!!

61. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

lets hope for the other coaches are next.

62. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Well, next Sunday will be a big test–

63. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes the way to go is with a young coach! Young people often can jell better with a young person. Besides his staff will be doing alot of the work anyway.

64. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

but then again, maybe they were losing because they didn’t like frazer. I guess ill give frazer the rest of the season and see what he can do. GO Frazer, Go team, and Skol VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

they didn’t like childress i ment

66. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

David, remember…Frazier has had PLENTY of success in the past. also, although he was defensive coordinator he still had to answer to head coach chilly…he wasnt in COMPLETE control of the defense but now he is. So lets just see what happens. give him a chance! thats all he can ask of us fans

67. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

SANE, that’s true and unfortunately it will only take one game before the nellies and naysayers come out. As positive people, we cannot have any doubts about the new coach. He seems like a good man.

68. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes fred…just look at Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. Very Successful team under a young coach who commands respect of his players…just like frazier

69. By BE SANE, SERIOUS, & LOVE ALL, BABY on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

GO VIKINGS!!!! A win against Washington!!!!

70. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I will be in DC for the Skins/Vikes game…so i will be able to see the new Leslie Frazier Vikes first hand! SKOL VIKES!!!!! Im excited again! lol

71. By Frederick Jones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Someone said we have not drafted well lately. Harvin, Rice, Greenway, Gerhart, Peterson, and etc. are proving otherwise. We do have several needs for the future particularly at DT, DB, and OL where we have several older players. We should be good at QB with Jackson and Webb. It might be a good idea to bring in a veteran backup at QB. I KNOW THIS WILL NOT BE POPULAR. RIP AWAY, BOYS!!!

72. By dmac32 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

You all have gotten your wish. It had better translate to some wins, or we’ll all be able to see the real problem with the Vikings.

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Breaking News…..Breaking News…..(Chili Presser)…(Chili)…”O.K., lots of football left”…..(1st rep) “Chili, you’ve been fired!”….(Chili)..”you are supposed to refer to me as “coach!”….(2nd rep)….It’s over, Chili, the people are dancing in the streets!”…..(Chili)…but I had an awesome presser planned, I was going to say ” it’s a man-whip-man kind of play!” (Reporters) “????????????” (Chili)… I just love saying “man-whip- man”, man-whip- man, it gets me excited!”(Reporters)(Heading for the exits)….(Chili)…” I think that’s why my wife put me on the PUP list, you guys know what I mean.”(Reporters)(Frantically trying to escape)….(Chili)…”you haven’t heard the last of Brad Childress, I will rise from the ashes like the mythical Tuscon!” (Revolvers) “BANG,BANG, BANG,BANG.” (Moderator)… “OK, last two bullets for the ex-coach!!”

74. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Frazier had to bow down to Chilly countless times on the sideline you could see him frustrated in disagreement. I can’t wait to see this guy play his game as a head coach. Chilly did a good job turning this team around from the Mike Tice team he was left with, however it was time for new direction. Thanks again Zygi and staff.

75. By animal26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

true fans arise, lets support our team!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. By David Plowman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

VAvikefan,

Agreed what part of VA do you live? I live in Richmond. Have fun at the game and keep your fingers crossed.

77. By VAvikefan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I live in Norfolk….always good to meet a fellow fan from VA

78. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow its about time. I seriously thought that brad was going to b here until the season was over. Sad to say but its too little too late. And i wouldn’t blame Frazier for the poor defensive play. I mean look at what Frazier has to work with. The Dline is good but who knows whats wrong with them this year. The season isn’t over yet and they just might start piling on sacks b4 it is. At least they have proven that they were one of the best dlines in the NFL. Blame childress for putting the poor secondary together. Seriously…. I have no clue what he saw in Madieu williams…. Seriously.. He is not a starter in this league and he never will be. It’s embarrassing to watch him play. He misses tackles, he cant cover nor catch. He poses no threat at all. And then the DB’s. I have no idea what he saw in lito sheppard, asher allen, or chirs cook. Cook is still a rookie but hopefully he’ll get better. He got burned last game numerous times. Forgot to also mention tyrell johnson. This secondary always had problems and childress never addressed it nor tried to fix it. It’s like he expected frazier to turn a bunch of average and below average guys into the probowlers. I’m sure frazier stresses the importance of how to tackle, cover, etc. every week, but if these guys keep going out and doing the same thing over and over, week in and week out, is it his fault??? They need to get better DB’s and safeties, thats the problem.

79. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Frazier has built an awesome defense in the last couple of years. Again, when you have a Ferrari but no engine (players not playing), it’s tough to win. Cook should be left alone, but there was no help from the safety either. Also when you’re in the secondary and a ball gets thrown to you in the numbers by Aaron Rodgers, you have to catch it. I think you will see a sharp and different Vikings team against the Skins.

80. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Seriously though. The secondary has always had their problems and childress never did anything to fix them. He never tried to go out and get a proven DB. Always stuck with the same guys. If any of them had real talent, it would’ve shown by now. I don’t know how they’ve been going with the same guys at CB and Safety every week. I knew that sooner or later the secondary would get exposed and it started to show every week as the season progressed. If it wasn’t for the dline the past years, pretty sure opposing teams would’ve scored more points against us and we probably would’ve lost more games. But they really need to get a new secondary. The guys that they have no with the exception of winfield and maybe griffen, need to go.

81. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

@xvike, I agree with you, but for those that blame Frazier for that are wrong. They reality is, all these guys can play ball, I’ve seen Allen, and Cook in college, disgrace players out there. It’s a matter of will. I don’t think anyone anticipated Griffen being out the whole season. Beleive it or not, he is respected by QB’s and with out him, it hurts. Aaron Rodgers flat out picked on Chris Cook yesterday, Cook should have been benched after the first mistake and replaced with Walker. BTW – I like Walker, tough physical player he kind of plays like a Raven DB.

82. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

theres no doubt in my mind that if the vikes could play up to their true potential, the foreskins would stand no chance. but we’ll have to wait n see what kind of impact the coaching change made on the team. Hopefully a good one.

83. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

lol tell me about it. the poor play at cornerback made me miss BENNY SAPP!!!! LOL!

84. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Right, that’s the difference.

e.g. Cook replaced by Walker. A good coach would have called that early rather that let the guy get beat and rained on all day. If you recall, Chilly made that change when the played GB last time and it worked in Minnesota favor. I’m sure Aaron was licking his chops yesterday.

85. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

When i first saw Walker, the first thought that came to my mind was “what the? KIMBO SLICE????!!!!” LOL!

86. By purplerainman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

lol..That’s hilarious. I thought the same thing. hahaha. He looks like a serial killer.lol.

87. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

thats what we need though. kimbo slice on the field tearing up the receivers and running backs.

88. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

impose fear on the opposing offense. not give them the confidence to throw against our poor secondary. but with williams, abdullah, allen, cook out there, i would throw the ball all day like gb. how many times did they run the ball yesterday? i think they finally figured out that they didn’t need to try to mix things up after the first quarter and thats when the game was over….

89. By xvike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

At least Sapp would’ve drew a few pass interference penalties versus getting burned for a td. then maybe the d could’ve held them to only 2 td’s and a bunch of fg’s. LOL!

90. By thomas weston on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

i think brett should start all 6 game’s for the first half then take him out and what will happen…. so he can finish with 301 in game’s started

91. By packerfanfirst on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

After getting beat by 28 points, replacing the head coach with the defensive coordinator sounds like a no brainer. Go ViceQueens.

2. Nov 22, 2010: Week 11 NFC North Roundup | Vikings Stop Blog