The Most Important Game Of The Season

Posted by cjsiewert on November 18, 2010 – 7:12 am

Without a doubt, Sunday afternoon’s matchup against the Green Bay Packers at Mall of America Field is the most important game of the season – for both teams.

With a Vikings win, the Purple would move into 2 games of the Packers in the divisional standings – and the same with the Chicago Bears if they lose to Miami tonight. But if Green Bay comes out victorious, the Packers would jump 4 games ahead of the Vikings with 6 to play, and those numbers don’t bode well for Minnesota reaching the postseason.

History shows that the Vikings home-field advantage has done the same justice as a neutral site would, with the Minnesota-Green Bay rivalry posting a 5-5 record at Mall of America Field over the past decade. But the Vikings have won the last 2 contests at home against the Packers, and will need to extend that streak to 3 if they want to extend their playoff aspirations.

And if playing at home with your backs against the wall and the season dangling by a thread isn’t enough motivation to pull out all the stops, how about playing your former team of 16 seasons for most likely the last time in your career for added incentive?

“No, I haven’t really,” Vikings QB Brett Favre replied when asked if he had any thoughts on playing the Packers for a final time. “We obviously need a win. That’s my focus and hopefully our team’s focus is winning this football game, as it was last week and the week before. We can’t be concerned about anything else but winning the football game. There’s no time to think about those types of things.”

The 20-year veteran’s response to such a question speaks volumes to how a player should approach any game on a week-to-week basis, and the wills of each player’s character will be tested during Sunday’s pivotal NFC North showdown.

“Ultimately you’ve got to want to play for yourself,” Favre said. “All of those qualities that are expected of you really are even more important at this point. Your true character can show. Hopefully our guys will take that approach. I think they will and have. We’ve just got to get a win.”

Oh, and by the way, Sunday’s battle between the Vikings and Packers will mark the 100th meeting between the 2 teams in their storied rivalry, and former Vikings DE John Randle will be awarded his Hall of Fame Ring during halftime. And I can’t imagine Mr. Randle wanting to see anything less than a Vikings victory over a team he collected 14.0 sacks against in 11 seasons with the franchise.

Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 60 Comments »

60 Responses to “The Most Important Game Of The Season”

1. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Winning is a great deodorant. We could use some right about now!!!

2. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Maybe the Choctaw Indian has something left for what will most likely be his last game against his buddies from Green Bay.

3. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

The Vikings have the oldest defensive player in the league. Who is he?

4. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Which current Vikings defensive lineman was suspended for the use of steroids?

5. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Which current Vikings offensive lineman hails from Trinidad and Tobagos?

6. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Which Minnesota Viking is a cousin of hall of fame wide receiver Michael Irvin?

7. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

A current MN Vikings wide receiver tied the NFL record for the longest pass reception last season. Who is he?

8. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Above is a 5 question Vikings trivia question. How many can you answer correctly? I will provide the answers later on today (Thursday).

9. By vikingsfan4life on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

get the $uck out of here Frederick Jones , your a @sshole go post some where else jack@ss………………….who cares what you have to say moron…

10. By Ricky on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Dear Coach,
    I would like to beat Green Bay down. I need Green Bay to loose. I really want the Vikings to win, because I’m finished with Green Bay! I’m done with Green Bay! I’ve had enough of this loosing – the Vikings need to win!

11. By vikingsfan4life on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

bottom line here without rice we lose sunday and the season is over, it’s that simple……………who cares about your 5 questions moron………

12. By Mike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I will be TRYING to sell my Viking tickets after this weeks loss.

13. By rocksalt on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

w ell p ut vikingfan4life

14. By SmileyStar on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Do or Die Time. Take Sidney off the pup, he’s needed on the field. Favre, Start looking at some plays that you would like to run in the no huddle and turn up the heat in the first possession. We got this!!!

15. By David Plowman on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

On 15 responses. I guess it is true. Viking fans are getting off the wagon. I will stay on the wagon if they fire chilly and do not move to LA. I hope the vikings can win this weekend but it does not look good.

16. By alan moriarity on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

WITH ALL DO RESPECT THE VIKINGS IS MY TEAM AND I TAKE PRIDE IN THIS TEAM WE THE VIKINGS NEED TO TAKE THE PACKERS OUT SUNDAY WITH OR WITHOUT RICE LETS FOCUS ON A WIN THIS TEAM CAN DO IT !

17. By Londonx on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

The biggest question in reguards to Sundays game is, will coach Bret Favre bench childres?

18. By arahn on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Get off it Londonx. If Favre were coach we’d be better off. He didn’t make the preseason draft/waive/trade decisions that have hurt the team and he isn’t running “the show” now. He’s doing his job and if the rest of the team gave as much effort we’d be winning more games even with chilly coaching. It was the team captains that went to Mississippi to ask him to play one more year for the team so quit sh/tt/ng on him.

19. By VIKESLIFE on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I SAY PUT IN JOE WEBB AS A RECIEVER #14 HE LOOKS JUST LIKE RANDY MOSS JUST DO IT MR.WILF!!!!! BEAT THE PACK GO VIKINGS!

20. By arahn on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

In football, there are QBs who are referred to as pocket passers (Payton Manning is one) and then there are scrambling QBs. In order to be successful as a pocket passer (re. Manning) the QB needs to have good protection from the O-line. Favre is a pocket QB who doesn’t get protection. Furthermore, the O-line hasn’t provided adequate run-blocking for AD to be as dynamic as he is capable of being. The point I’m making is that we could be a he// of lot better with both the passing game and running game if the O-line problem was fixed — something that should’ve, would’ve, could’ve been fixed in the preseason.

21. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

who says a 10-6 record even is good enough for a playoff spot? lets face it, even if we win out, we could still miss the playoffs. i will not watch any more games, the Vikings are done, we will end up with the 4th overall draft pick if Chilly stays rest of the year

22. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

next week they will be writing blogs about playing for pride

23. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

things never change, after another loss chilly will still be talking about alot of football left at his pressers

24. By arahn on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

at least he is predictable…as his play calling is predictable

25. By arahn on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Notice how Denver is working Tebow into the game? Why can’t our “brain trust” figure out how to work Webb into the game? Are they just that much smarter in Denver?

26. By Justin on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

It didn’t have to be this way. We could be 6-3 and didn’t have to worry about losing this game. But sadly, the Vikings have dug themselves into a hole they CANNOT get out of. Childress is part of the problem. Getting rid of him now is too late. The damage has been done. The Vikings won’t make postseason even if they win Sunday.

27. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

i remember watching the Vikings when Les Steckle was coach. i would think to myself, my gosh, this coach has no clue as to whats going on. almost 30 years later, i’m having the same thoughts about Chilly

28. By Justin on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

On top of what I said earlier, watch the Packers target Favre’s ankle again…

29. By BE SANE & SERIOUS on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

@Frederick Jones– I appreciate your comments, they are fresh air in an often negative and stale environment. Keep up the insightful and humorous comments!
    By the way, everyone, when we are in the playoffs, then we will see how much you mock our posts. GO VIKINGS!!! One game at time. There is a lot of hope– if we start winning and focusing one game at a time– we can do it. Last night I analyzed the schedules of GB and the Bears– Bears are going to fall apart and go 8-8, maybe 9-7. GB could go 11-5 at best, but they could slip more than that. GO VIKES!!!! Some call me crazy, but I am successful because I do not, I do NOT allow others to influence my thinking. No one can get inside your head, unless you let them– KEEP POSTING FRED JONES=== KEEP POSTING—

30. By BE SANE & SERIOUS on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

NO ROOM FOR CRYBABIES– what kind of a life focuses on all that goes wrong and all the should haves, could haves, would haves? Sounds like half of you complain all day long from the moment you wake up– try being thankful. Enough negativity.

31. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

i am thankful i will be taking a nice vacation while the Vikings play for pride during the holidays. Sane can watch the meaningless games all by himself during the holidays

32. By meswant on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

time for our defence, o’line & receivers to earn their pay cheques!!

33. By sigg07 on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

GO VIKINGS BEAT THE PACKERS . THE DEFENSE WILL COME UP BIG THIS SUNDAY JARED GREENWAY AND THE WILLIAM BOYS EACH WILL HAVE A SACK AND AP WILL HAVE 2 SCORES AND PERCY WILL HAVE HIS BEST GAME EVER GO VIKINGS. IAM A TRUE VIKING LIVING IN BEAUTIFUL LOS ANGELES

34. By Start Joe WebB on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

START JOE WEBB

35. By Justin on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Sane, most people here are being realistic. The vikings lost to the freaking Bears because they struggled on Offense and Defense (as it’s been a problem all season). The Packers game is sure to be the same or worse, considering they’re coming off a BYE. Clay Matthews is going to have a hayday going after Favre all afternoon.

36. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Justin -Sane lives in his own fantasyland. he will be saying the vikings still have a shot at the playoffs, even after our next loss

37. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Breaking News… Breaking News…Chili Presser(after GB game)..( CHILI)..Hats off to GB,blah, blah, blah). (1st reporter)..”Coach, the team again seemed to have problems with their footing”..(Chili)..”We give them a choice regarding footwear, it’s an individual thing”.(2nd rep)”But snowshoes or cross-country skis”?..(Chili)..We didn’t think the grass would be this green this time of year in Minnesota, but we will be prepared for Washington’s dome”.(3rd rep)You ran out of challenge flags midway through the first quarter!”(Chili)”That’s why I always wear red underwear on gameday. Got to be prepared”! (reporters) (stunned silence). (Chili) “Lots of football left to be played…..”

38. By Robins on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Let Brett make the calls so we can win this one! We need this win! Protect your quarterback so they don’t go for his ankle again!! Don’t let them score! Please sack Rodgers over and over again! Defense, show up and play 60 minutes please!

39. By fire childress on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

maybe Chilly should just wear a red shirt and pants and throw himself on the field to challenge plays

40. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

We now go live to The NFL on Fox Post-Game Show…(Terry Bradshaw)..”Fox Sports has learned that Brad Childress has agreed to step down as HC of the Vikings, on condition that he remains with the team in “some other capacity”…(Howie Long)..”Fox has learned that will be as a Yard / Down marker. He will have to stand erect with a chain around his ankle and have his head spray-painted orange. I tried it after I retired,it didn’t work out. They said my head was too flat”.(TB)..”I tried it too, but just couldn’t get the hang of it. But I have the brain of a sea urchin,Chili is twice as smart as me.” (Jimmy Johnson)..” I bet I could do it. I spray my head 5 times a day! I was on “Survivor”! (Much laughter and good-natured ribbing).(Curt Menefee) ” For viewers in the Eastern and Central time zones, stay tuned for the Simpsons. Those of you on the west coast, stay with us for more postgame coverage or stick pins in your eyes.”

41. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

We now take you live to CBS Sports The NFL Today Post-Game Show…(Bill Cowher)…I can’t believe Fox scooped us on the Childress thing. What are we going to talk about?”(Boomer Esiason)”What does “scooped mean?”(James Brown)”Guys,we’re on LIVE!”(Dan Marino)”I used to do Isotoner commercials!” (Boomer)”What do you mean?”(Dan)”I used to put on gloves on t.v.”(Shannon Sharpe) “You mean like O.J.???”(James Brown) “Stay with CBS for a special 4 hour “60 minutes”, where Andy Rooney attempts to get out of a bathtub”.

42. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

….NBC’s “Football Night In America”…(Al Michaels)…”Wow, there’s a lot going on in Minnesota.Your thoughts, Chris?” (Chris Collinsworth)…”Well Al, I believe…….Al,do I remind you of a stork?” (Al)..”Well…now that you mention it…”(Chris)..”Because that’s what some people are saying, but I don’t have any feathers and I’ve never delivered a baby, and storks don’t play footb(Al)..”Giants and Eagles coming up next on NBC”(Chris)..”and I certainly can’t fly and(fade to commercial)

43. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

All this rain is making me crazy.

44. By David Plowman on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Sane – if you believe the vikings will win that is good for you. I wish I had the same position but the reality is chilly could not beat himself. Vikings lose another 31-20. I hope the vikings can prove me wrong but I doubt it.

45. By Mike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be pheasant hunting on Sunday when the Vikings play. Maybe if i’m not watching the game they will actually win!! At this point, I’m willing to try anything, so should they. FIRE CHILDRESS

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Mike, take Chili hunting with you. The Vikes will never miss him.

47. By Dave on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Nova…. You’re killing me here!! Lol

SKOL VIKES!!

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Dave, if you lose your sense of humor, you lose everything!

49. By Dave on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I read the blogs almost everyday… Alot of good laughs during a disappointing season..

50. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m so tired of just dumping on Chili, I figured I’d spread the hate around!

51. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I put the Viking Trivia questions on the blog at about 6 a.m. It’s 6:30 p.m. right now. No one has attempted to answer the questions. Here are the answers anyhow:
    Pat Williams
    Ray Edwards
    Anthony Herrera
    Asher Allen
    Bernard Berrian

52. By Purple Nurple on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Fred….dude..know one attempted to….because….wait for it…………………………………no one gives a F@#K!

53. By Purple Nurple on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I bet Fred is either a self proclaimed minister or a teacher.What say ye….quiz takers?

54. By Purple Nurple on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Times up……………neither! Turns out he is a 46yo delivery boy for Jimmy Johns.

55. By Stephanie on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

if Rice plays this Sunday, the Vikings have a much better chance. It will be awfully hard if both Berrian and Rice are out and Harvin is hampered by his injury. who would Brett have to throw to? I still have hope for the season and the main reason I do is b/c the Packers and Bears schedule is harder the second half of the season. but the Vikings haven’t been looking great. If they lose this game it’s over. hopefully they’ll come out like the Cowboys did against the Giants when no one gave them a chance.

56. By mrsmiff on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

A true fan stands by his team no matter what. The game hasn’t even been played yet, and all these Vikings psuedo-fans are already saying the Vikings are going to lose and that the season is over! What the hE11is wrong with you fellas? You people are not being “realistic”, you are being pessimistic and you know it! I know all the problems this team has, including their struggle to overcome their biggest handicap this year- their own head coach. I also know the P3ckers are very capable of beating us soundly, but still I believe we can and will win!! It’s called FAITH!! Until the final score is on the boards, I WILL KEEP BELIEVING WITH EVERYTHING I’VE GOT!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!

57. By purplehaze on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

duh!, ya think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!; ya get the idea moron.

58. By packerfanfirst on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey ViceQueen Fans,
    I hope you’re all looking forward to your Sunday beatdown. By the way, no one has thanked the Packers for letting you have Brett HasBeen. You’re welcome and see you in LA sphincter jockeys!!!!!!!!!!!

59. By purplehaze on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

The Minnesota Vikings are an American football team playing in the National Football League (NFL). They are members of the North Division in the National Football Conference (NFC). The team was established in 1959, when three Minneapolis businessmen – Bill Boyer, H. P. Skoglund and Max Winter – were awarded a franchise in the new American Football League (AFL).[1] In January 1960, the ownership group, along with Bernie Ridder, forfeited its AFL membership and was awarded the NFL’s 14th franchise, with play to begin in 1961.[1]

Since the franchise’s inception, the Vikings have completed 49 seasons of play in the NFL. The team won one NFL Championship in 1969, and thus was the last team crowned NFL champions before the AFL–NFL merger in 1970. The franchise has been conference champions three times since the merger, but has never won the Super Bowl. The Vikings have been divisional champions 18 times, most among current members of their division. Minnesota has played 787 regular and post-season games and has appeared in the post-season 26 times.[2]

The team’s worst season was 1962, when it won two games and lost eleven (a .154 winning percentage).[3] Their worst season since the NFL changed to a 16-game schedule was 1984, when they could only manage a 3–13 record.[4] The best regular-season record was achieved in 1998, when the Vikings went 15–1, but kicker Gary Anderson, who had gone 35-for-35 in field goal attempts during the regular season, missed a 38-yard attempt with less than three minutes remaining in the NFC Championship Game.[5] With an overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons, the Vikings became the first 15–1 team in NFL history not to reach the Super Bowl.[

IT’S THE CURSE OF THE BILLY GOAT-’CEPT WE AREN’T THE CUBS!!!

2. Nov 18, 2010: The Most Important Game Of The Season | Vikings Stop Blog