Berrian’s Big Plays Aide In Vikings Victory

Posted by cjsiewert on November 9, 2010 – 10:12 am

As we’ve recently mentioned here on the vikings.com Blog, the Vikings 27-24 OT victory over the Cardinals on Sunday came to fruition by way of several dynamics. Mike briefly touched on one particular contributing factor following head coach Brad Childress’ press conference on Monday, and we’ll delve into the subject further.

Since the departure of Randy Moss early last week, the Vikings WR unit was put under the microscope with questions about their depth and individual capabilities to make an impact. After Sunday’s victory, it’s clear that Bernard Berrian has cleared up many of those concerns.

Berrian recorded a season-high 9 receptions for 89 yards against the Cardinals – his most since the 2009 NFC Championship game, where he hauled in 9 passes for 102 yards. In his first 6 games this season, Berrian averaged less than 2 receptions per game (1.5) and 14.5 receiving yards per game.

More impressive than the numbers Berrian posted in the OT victory are the situations in which he recorded them. The 7-year veteran was a contributing force throughout the first 3 quarters with 3 of his 4 receptions resulting in 1st downs, but it was late in the 4th-quarter and in OT that Berrian came down with pivotal catches.

With the Vikings down 24-10 and 4:32 remaining in the game, Berrian grabbed a short pass down the middle for an 11-yard gain, setting up a 4-yard TD run by RB Adrian Peterson 2 plays later. His next reception was the initial play during the Vikings game-tying drive. Berrian’s catch resulted in a 15-yard gain heading into the 2-minute warning.

And perhaps Berrian’s biggest catch of the afternoon came during the game-winning OT drive. With the Vikings facing 1st and 20 following a holding penalty, Brett Favre found Berrian streaking across the middle of the field on a slant route for a 22-yard gain down to the Arizona 27. Peterson’s number was call upon 3 times for 9 more yards, setting up K Ryan Longwell’s game-winning 35-yard FG.

Berrian’s effectiveness was shown through his quick slant routes that allowed the Vikings offense to move the chains – 6 of his 9 receptions resulted in 1st downs.

“He certainly has the capabilities to catch the football coming inside,” Childress said on Monday. “There were a couple of slip screens. One he had a loss-yardage play, one he makes a play on third down. He is a good slant runner. He is a good in-break runner. He can catch the football down the field. I think he had a back shoulder opportunity. It’s nice to be able to get him those quick-hitters in a little bit of air because those slants typically end up 15-18 yards down the field, if you can connect on them.”

Tags:
Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 76 Comments »

76 Responses to “Berrian’s Big Plays Aide In Vikings Victory”

1. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

vikings running the table? odds are 7 percent according to Vegas odds. 93 percent chance of Chilly getting fired Fred. sorry

2. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

wow! Moss and Rice on the field at the same time ! oh, that’s right, Moss got cut by Chilly. Chilly will be collecting unemployment within 6 weeks

3. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Thank you BB for showing us you still have all-star talent!

@fire chilly, Moss got canned for speaking out about da coach, that says a lot about how insecure the coach is.

4. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

FireChild where did you get this VEGAS ODDS?

5. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

thats the betting line now. i took the line. i put up 2,000. i get paid 140 if i win the bet

6. By Shannon on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree CHILDRESS pretty much can thank his team for saving his @ss this week. Especially Favre, and every one else who helped pick it up in the 4th quarter.! I think he still needs to be fired and lets see what Frazier can do with it, before we lose him to another team…You know, I was sitting here thinking, what about Rob Ryan as a head coach? Am I dreaming here??? I know there are bigger names available, but I would like to see what he can do…..

7. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

firechild, why won’t you reveal your source so we can check and make sure it’s legit? It’s a good point, IF TRUE.—————————————————————————————-Even if it is true…like I said before……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………What is popular isn’t always right, what is right isn’t always popular.—————————-And you should know, coaching is not popularity contest.

8. By Bruce on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the good work Berrian, you had a bad start to this season but you seem to be turning it around.

9. By Bruce on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the good work Berrian, you had a bad start to this season but you seem to be turning it around!

10. By PurpleParody on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say it, but until our playoff hopes are completely out the window, we are better off keeping the asinine coach that we have now. If Ziggy can continue riding Chilly’s back for the rest of the season it just may be enough to give us a chance.
    Once that chance is gone, Chilly should be gone along with it.

11. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I think Chilly won’t get fired right now to keep some stability but I’m willing to bet that Wilf has made some adjustments to coaching so Chilly isn’t running the whole show. Hopefully, bevell and favre will run play calling and game planning which will give us a much better chance of running the table.

12. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Shannon, rather than just sit there and think, why don’t you read a book about coaching, or check out a website on football. Become informed. Have some basis for your opinion, rather than just being a hater.

13. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers started out the season 1-4. They made the playoffs! You never can tell!!!

14. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

F Jones, I hope they do run the table and you can come back here and yuk about how right you were. We need a SB to keep LA from stealing the team.

15. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The name of the book where I found out about the 1976 Steelers is “Blindsided” by KC Joyner who is an ESPN Football Scientist.

16. By PurpleParody on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

There’s actually such a thing as football scientists? Do they put helmets on rats and conduct studies on how they’ll react to certain football situations? Or maybe they are the ones who are putting together the new drugs as the old ones are added to the list of banned substances…then again, maybe they’re just more like archeologists, watching how teams like the Vikings perform when we dig up old fossil QBs all the time.

17. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Fire–I would like to think I would have more class than to gloat over someone being wrong. That said, you are not wrong. I just have a different view of things for some reason. I like to understand what people think and influence them if I can. We are all frustrated with this Viking season. We had high expectations this year. Even more than usual.

18. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Jones, thank you for the book report. I’m sure you have read more books on football than Favre but I am still willing to bet Favre knows more about football than you. PS, I have read a few books on football, sorry but I am not going to list them.

19. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

arahn, I was wondering when I was going to get one like that.

20. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I have been saying since the beginning that Childress knows more about football than any of us. It would be a no-brainer to assume that Favre does as well. My remarks, statistics, etc., are not meant to offend anyone.

21. By PurpleParody on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Knowledge alone does not equal success Fred. It is clear that Childress has lost what it takes to connect his knowledge to success, and that is why so many of us want to see someone new running this team.

22. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

PurpleParody, I agree with you. Attitude is more important than knowledge. (You can find that in ALMOST ANY BOOK!)

23. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Lies and Statistics

24. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

i heard Dallas is going to go after Brian B. i say we get him now before Dallas does !!!

25. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Steve Mariucci, long time coach of your beloved 49ers. Had 2 – 12 win seasons, and a 13 win season. He was building for a championship. His last season was 10-6 for SF 49ers. A playoff team. Fire that coach. 8 years and 3 coaches later they have not been able to field a winning team. (Using 8-8 or worse as being a “losing” season.) In fact they had 2-14, 4-12, and 5-11 seasons during this time. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO THE VIKINGS. IT’S NOT JUST THE COACH WHEN A TEAM IS LOSING!!!!!

26. By BE SANE & SERIOUS on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I have been behind Berrian the whole season— I knew he could do it. SO many fair-weather fans screaming for his head– and you could see in his body language at the home games he could feel the hate. Best to lift the team we have– they can do it, just believe!!! They know a few things– Childress was not put in as head coach because he only coached on the driveways and empty fields of neighborhoods. SUPERBOWL BABY!!!!! I BELIEVE!

27. By BE SANE & SERIOUS on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Frederick! I have a lot to do today– but I got your back in spirit.

28. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Firechild, where did you get that information?

29. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Good point, Be Sane & Serious.

30. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

nfl network just announced it 1/2 hour ago

31. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Jerry Jones said he was going to give Jason Garrett the team until the end of the season. It does seem reasonable that he would be hired at the end of the season. Anything is possible, of course.

32. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

yes, anything is possible, they might of said that only to try to get Frazier

33. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Create a diversion and hire somebody else. Sounds like the ‘boys to me.

34. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

As far as the Vikings going to LA, they could leave even if the Vikings go 11-5. It’s all about the money.

35. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Minnesota is one of the few states that are not in the red. it’s too bad they waited so long. it should of been built before the recession started, and the price of a new stadium goes up 200,000 per year due to inflation

36. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

i really think the stadium would of been built if the Vikings won the superbowl last year

37. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

As for the Vikes moving to LA. LA is estimating that an LA team (Vikes) would have a 15million fan base. That’s almost 3x the population of MN. Plus, MN is full of Packer Fans!?! A SB win will save the Vikes the same way a SB win saved the Saints from being moved. It is unfortunate that most people in Vikes territory (outside of die-hard fans) will only care about saving the Vikes with a SB. They will jump on the Vikes bandwagon after a SB win — it’s a sad truth. I do also find it sick that they financed a ball-park for the Twins and not the Vikes — who are a bigger asset to MN.

38. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

2 world series championships will do it, as well as many divisional titles for the twins. 4 super bowl losses won’t keep the vikings here

39. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

here are also over 60,000 muti -Millionairs in the LA-Hollywood area

40. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

and they all love football

41. By arahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Baseball is seriously declining in popularity in the USA while football is rising.

42. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

yes, baseball is boring

43. By soldier1986 on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

alright im just going to state my opinion. childress may have a winning record. but the main reason i think he has to go is because the players do not respect him. and thats a problem. if you do not have respect from your players, then you should just move on. things are coming out now about the guys not liking him or not respecting him for years. this may be the reason for our lack of motivation lately. the coach makes a difference. i dont care if you won a superbowl. if you dont have the respect from your players, its over. look at tony dungy. his players LOVED him with a passion. so thats why i think he should go. this is only harvins 2nd year and he already got into it with him. il tell him good luck and thanks for what he has done, but he has to go

44. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

This team isn’t going to L.A. There is simply no quality stadium available.Also, where does one go to school to become a “football scientist”?

45. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ve gone to two universities in Canada, we don’t even have hockey scientists.

46. By taser brad on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

BB can still do it. If Brett is so tired, let Jackson play some… Say the 3rd Quater? We would be smart to let Harvin and Brett not get so beat up, if we do make the playoffs, and wish to advance through them, if these guys are at full strength would make a difference.

47. By Shannon on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Frederick, Thanks for the reply, and may be I do sound negative, but I think you still have to look at the future for the Vikes and I am not a fan of Childress – never have been. He has been a distraction to this team with moving Moss like he is playing fantasy football, then you go into his play calling when he by rights should be putting points on the board with FG’s, prior to AZ, he kept going for it on 4th and short, where we could have used those points. Then go into his challenges and lack there of, and may be that was not all of his fault when it came to challenges, but in the end he is responsible. This statement has nothing to do with Favre, as I do like him, but as far as drafting players, why didnt we draft a young qb – like a McCoy?? We all know in the end T Jack will be gone as well as Favre. Now throw in the issue of player trust and you have one big mess and one big arrow pointing at Childress…..

Look I want the Vikes to win more than any one, I still have one game left to go to against the Bills, and I would like to go see them more if they were in the hunt. May be they can still change this season around with Rice coming back and all, but alls I am saying is that Childress needs to go after this season. I would like to see what Frazier can do, and if we are going to have a losing season, it would be nice to see if Frazier can put some spark in the players, IF Childress can no longer do this then its time for a change…..

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Well said Shannon!!!!

49. By Robins on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Berrian, you stepped it up as the whole team did! Thank you for a great ending! You all deserved this win! There were no bad calls to steal it from you! Celebrate! The whole team deserves it!

50. By gorvike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

fire, firechildress. I am so sick of your dribble. you are an idiot.

51. By rocksalt on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Regarding statistics and winning percentages……

Phillips’ .605 winning percentage is tied for second-best among the seven Dallas Cowboys coaches. Only Barry Switzer (.650) had a better percentage and Phillips was tied with coaching legend Tom Landry.

52. By rocksalt on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

BTW-
    well said soldier………

53. By rocksalt on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

ditto Shannon…….

54. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

RockSalt, please tell our friend Fred that makes Barry Switzer a better coach than Tom Landry, according to all his “stats”

55. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Barry Switzer, N.F.L. LEGEND!!!!!!!!

56. By rocksalt on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I am on most recent blog………but right on Nova……..I finally had to retire last nite….it was too much fun!

57. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

gorvike-if your so sick, drop on your knees and do some deeptroat

58. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

gorvike- YOUR A BU TTBANGER

59. By rocksalt on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

boys- switch over to the Favre player of week blog……no sense in wasting good zingers……

60. By lisa on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

My thoughts exactly Soldier…. I was at the game on Sunday and I must say these guys really gave me hope for the near future… It just looked like other players other than Percy and Adrian were playing there hearts out. I saw a lot of heart in Camerillo (great play), Barrien, Lewis, Shank, Heath made a great play, Jared Allen, well lets just say the defense played lights out in the 4th quarter, And of course, Brett… If these guys can pick up where they left off on Sunday and add a little Rice to the mix, WoW!!! I realize they’re probably not playing for their coach, but whatever it is that made them win that game I hope it continues to the rest of the season. The next two games will tell a lot, but in the mean time I’m trying not to get my hopes up. I got a good feeling though…

61. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

the Vikings have a 7 percent chance of winning the next 8 games according to vegas oddsmakers

62. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

chilly put us in this situation, he better find us a way out

63. By Conner on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Arahn- I still believe the Vikes will get a deal done in Minnesota. Earlier you stated you couldn’t believe the Twins got a ballpark and that the Vikes were a greater asset. The Twins get 81 home dates each year. The Vikes might get 12 games all year. Pohlad dumped 40-50 million into making Target field one of the greatest sporting venues in all of professional sports. Don’t knock the Twins because the Vikes are on the ropes. It’ll all work out in the end.

64. By PurpleParody on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Connor – That’s maybe 10% of the cost of the building. The last I heard, Zigi was willing to put in as much as 50% of the Vikings’ new stadium, but still isn’t getting any help from the state. Of the 3 teams in question, (Vikings, Twins and Gophers) the Vikes were in most need of a stadium but were the only team not to get one. The Twins and Gophers both built SMALLER stadiums than the Metrodome. On top of that, there was no threat for the Gophers to go anywhere and their stadium will arguably generate much less revenue for the state.

LA is breathing down our necks and begging for the Vikings to commit to their city. They’ve had plans in place for a new stadium for years, but they are holding out until they get a team.

I wouldn’t blame Zigi for aqccepting the offer being made by the large market that LA provides. We are approaching the 11th hour, and things are looking bleak. I can only hope that our state leaders end up changing their generocity very quickly.

65. By fire childress on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

yeah, what is wrong with the Minnesota congress? the Vikings provide 10,000 jobs throughout the state, yet balk at only having to pay 1/2 the stadium? most owners will only pay 15 percent of the cost !!!

66. By Berrianfancs on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Berrian can be lethal especially with the return of Rice this Sunday.I think we should run a 3 WR set with Harvin, Rice, and Berrian and use Shiancoe for 2nd and 3rd down purposes. If Adrain keeps playing the way he has been plus getting Rice back I think we can still make the playoffs. The only problem is Favre keeps throwing interceptions and until he starts making better decisions we won’t be able to beat anyone decent. Finally the defense really stepped up and if they can step up every week for the rest of the season I definitly see us back in the playoffs.

67. By PAUL M. on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I JUST DON’T GET IT! WHY HAS BERNARD UNDER PERFORMED THIS SEASON? HE’S DEFINITELY GOT THE SPEED, SO WHY CAN’T HE GET OPEN MUCH MORE OFTEN?

BERNARD MUST STEP IT UP FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON! IF YOU WANT TO UNDER PERFORM GO TO THE COWBOYS!

68. By vikingsfan1955 on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

We do have talented recievers and Berrian can be one of the best he just isn’t consistant. I think this will be his last yr if he doesn’t pick it up. He did a great job last game but we need that out of him every game. I haven’t given up on him at all just want more production out of him with that I say good game Bernard.

69. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Test

70. By Parody on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

12:55AM 8/11/2011

71. By Parody on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

1:03AM 8/11/2011

72. By Joe on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Normal text color different text color normal text color different background color

73. By Joe on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Your text here

74. By Joe on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

sample text

2. Nov 9, 2010: Berrian’s Big Plays Aide In Vikings Victory | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Nov 10, 2010: Bernard Berrian, Will this production continue? « Fantasy Football League Insights