Childress Talks Camarillo, Crowd In Reviewing Win

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 8, 2010 – 2:40 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress held his usual day-after-the-game press conference on Monday and wasted no time pointing out a couple of important factors in his team’s dramatic comeback victory – Greg Camarillo’s hustle play on a 1st-quarter INT-turned-touchback and a decided home-field advantage thanks to a frenzied Mall of America Field crowd.

“Great, great effort and resolve by our club all the way around, really battled right to the very end,” Childress said. “I think when you look at the effort, you look at those guys resolve, probably as big of a hustle play as there was on the field was Greg Camarillo…to be able to force a touchback from down, outside on the left being 45 yards away, going to make that play. You saw (Phil) Loadholt, (Bryant) McKinnie running as hard as they could run, funnel it back to him. There was determination there, offensively and defensively in being able to get the ball back.”

For those of you who didn’t see the game, the play Childress is referring to is a 1st-quarter INT by Arizona FS Kerry Rhodes in which Camarillo chased Rhodes down after a 66-yard return and punched the ball out right near the goal line to force a touchback and give the Vikings possession again.

The second factor Childress mentioned was the crowd, which was clearly displeased for most of the game as they watched the Vikings fall behind 24-10 early in the 4th quarter. Things seemed to have bottomed out when the Vikings were stuffed on the Arizona goal line and the Cardinals took possession with 6:18 to play. But rather than file for the exits, the crowd got loud and put the pressure on Arizona’s offense.

“I thought the crowd was a huge factor with energy late in the game, to make our defense be able to get off a little quicker, a little harder to hear (on the offense),” Childress said. “They had big stops there at the end. It would have been really easy to cash it in, after you are denied on a fourth and one on the goal line. Our guys weren’t going to have it.”

31 Responses to “Childress Talks Camarillo, Crowd In Reviewing Win”

1. By SALUTE CHILDRESS on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Once again, Childress backs his players and comments what a resilient and great effort they put forth. Childress has done well as Head Coach. GREAT JOB CHILLY!

2. By BE SANE & SERIOUS on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

That was an awesome comeback win! Awesome effort by all the team, including all the staff and coaches.

3. By steve o on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

what. childress…….awesome…… give me a break. awesome talent on that team. how could you lose? childress is finding ways to lose….. and lose control…… bad relations….. bad report…… i’ve never coached. and with those players wouldn’t need to……. how is it he is still there. …….. lets get a real coach how about going after bill cower….. now he’s a coach…..

4. By vikings fan 19955 on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I will say I am tired of loadholt and his penaltie and the way he isn’t holding up his end of the line. He picked up his game yesterday and if he continues to do so we can go a long way. Yes it was a great comeback and yes finally chilly called good plays but he has to stay consistant. I have always been on chillys side but as for now nothing less than a Sb appearance would make me say he should keep his job.

5. By Fire Chilly on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Can that Tard!!

6. By Fire 70's STASH on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Fire Chilly!!!!!

7. By vbviking on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

FIRE CHILDRESS FIRE CHILDRESS FIRE CHILDRESS

8. By chaos on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Camarillo may not be the most talented reciever in the nfl. heck, he isnt the most talented reciever on the vikings. But he always hustles. Moss was hugely talented and I was completely against letting him go, But he didnt always hustle. Camirillo is the opposite of Moss and a very good player. Camirillo was definitly the Player of the Game.

9. By Rogerthevikefan on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Cam should get more playing time

10. By purplehaze on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

great win for the team, but coach chilidog stop running the ball and getting stuffed; how many times has that failed this year? apparently you’ve lost count; because that play call still doesn’t work!

11. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

It’s amazing, one guy says give it to AD 25-35 times a game, and another guy says quit running the ball. Did you ever stop to think, “this is what they do for a living, and they might know just a little bit more than I do” ?

12. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Just wondering.

13. By matt on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

While we’re still having a little trouble in the secondary we should pick up Al Harris who has just been released. We could use a 2 time Pro-Bowler back there

14. By Ajeeth on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Fire Childress, Make Leslie Frazier Head coach and Mike Singeltary Asst head coach/defensive coordinato.

15. By GrinninWeasel on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I agree! Let Childress go and lets keep Leslie Frazier as Head Coach. He’s been interviewing for head coaching spots anyway. We need him!

16. By rocksalt on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Childress is the problem………WAKE UP!

17. By Cate on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Please, please, please…. Fire Childress!!! Until we get a coach who not only knows football, but can also earn respect of players, WE WILL NEVER WIN A SUPERBOWL!!!
    Bill Cower is free!!! A good coach goes a long way.

18. By Mike Dodge on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I agree we should get rid of Childress, but I don’t think Frazier is going to be any better at head coach. We need someone with some intensity. And all of you clowns that think we should stop running the ball are not watching the same games that I am. If it wasn’t for Peterson, we would be 0-8 right now. C’mon man

19. By Kathie on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Coach needs to learn to motive his players and not tear his players down. Could and would the coach ever give a kudos to team members. Coach, I think you are fighting depression problems, get some proffesional help.

20. By rocksalt on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Childress is a legend in his own mind!

21. By Conner on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Gruden definitely gets his guys motivated. Were it not for the pat rule, he’d have taken two different teams to the Super Bowl in two successive seasons. The long term on Gruden is in studying what he did in Tampa. When it was time to rebuild he didn’t seem to evaluate the talent well. It didn’t sound earlier last week that he’d be available until the end of the season. I love the Vikings! I really do. I’m just concerned that we’ve played the first 8 regular season games this year like the last 4 regular season games last year. Unmotivated and unfocused for long periods of time and having to play from behind. Maybe yesterday’s win will propel this team like we all want them to and go 7-1 down the stretch.

22. By Coaching on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Another suspenseful game for Vikings fans. I was at the SanFran game last year so I knew Favre had some magic left in him. Great playing be the defense. Good coaching. I think it’s interesting to see how relatively quiet the “FIRE CHILDRESS” people are after we win… but they always find something to complain about. I do think Leslie would make a better head coach, but that’s just my opinion. Excellent playing. I guarantee a Superbowl win this year if we can play the rest of the season like the 4th quarter and OT.

23. By awrahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I love how some messages don’t get posted here. What kind of filtering system you using mike?

24. By awrahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I give-up. can’t get message posted

25. By awrahn on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

some kind of filtering system preventing comments that pertain to coaching post on chilly

26. By David Johnson on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if Randy Moss would have hustled back at full speed from 45 yards away to dislodge the ball like Camarillo did. LOL. Are you kidding me. Chili was right, you can’t have players like that on your team no matter how talented. For Randy’s sake I hope he doesn’t make it in Tennesse either and doesn’t end up playing anywhere next year. Maybe he will then realize what he needs to do to become a better person and finally be happy for his sake and his family. He seems to be a troubled soul.

27. By cal on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

firing a coach midseason has never propelled a team to the playoffs. this season is still salvagable. do you all want the vikings to implode? Im not saying keep chilly on but wait till 2011.

28. By vikings fan 19955 on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

It is so dumb to say Frazier would not be any better than childress. We have let two great coaches go that have won the SB and we aren’t talking about the fact that they are black we are talking how they coached our team and other teams saw their potential when vikings owners didn’t so yes Frazier is the best chance and if anyone can say different tell me why and who agrees Fraizer is the better choice.

29. By Shannon on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Well, I am all for firing Chilli, but at the same time, who is going to fill what shoes? We just saw in Dallas a players coach in Phillips be the defensive coordinator and head coach, and that didn’t work. Second, I definitely do not want Gruden in there! He has ridden shirt tales all of his career. I would like to see what Frazier can bring, but I don’t know if this is the right time, plus there are coaches available out there like Billick, Cowher, Holmgren, and what about Rob Ryan?? I know there will be better coaches available out there at the end of the season that there is in Chillli….

Against AZ, Chilli finally learned that maybe kicking a field goal on 4th and short is not that bad of an idea…and I do know that Moss was probably a cancer for the Vikes, but still, Childress was the one who released him, who blew a third round pick, and his ability to coach this year, and years passed has sucked. I think by the end of the year, it will be time for him to move on….for now Chilli better be thanking all of his players that stepped up and played this week….

2. Nov 8, 2010: Childress Talks Camarillo, Crowd In Reviewing Win | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Nov 10, 2010: Childress Talks Camarillo, Crowd In Reviewing Win « Fantasy Football League Insights