Favre’s Elbow Feels “Better”

Posted by cjsiewert on October 21, 2010 – 5:40 am

Since experiencing tendinitis in his right elbow, Brett Favre’s ability to throw the football accurately and with the gunslinger velocity we’ve become accustom to over the past 20 years may have taken a slight hit.

Favre even mentioned after the Week 5 loss to the NY Jets that he missed a couple of throws that he could’ve “made in my sleep.” But last Sunday’s victory over the Dallas Cowboys saw Favre record his 1st game with a passer rating over 100 (106.9), which may or may not be a fair indication as to how his elbow is feeling, but it doesn’t appear to be getting worse.

“It feels better,” Favre told reporters Wednesday. “As I said after the (Dallas) game, it felt better.”

The 20-year veteran received a cortisone injection to help alleviate pain in his throwing elbow. The injection has relieved the pain, but Favre feels a sense of skepticism on whether it’s healed or not.

“I think the cortisone injection has helped,” Favre said. “But I’m reluctant to say, just knowing that I had tendinitis before, that it’s gone. Especially the way I throw. (I’m) hardheaded; not wanting to take time off. Keep my fingers crossed, but right now it feels better.”

Favre’s elbow feeling better couldn’t come at a better time with the Vikings facing a critical NFC North showdown with the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field this Sunday night. The visit to Green Bay will be Favre’s 2nd in a Vikings uniform after playing for the divisional foe for 16 seasons.

“Whether we’re both undefeated or not, I think the significance of the game doesn’t really change,” Favre acknowledged of the Vikings-Packers matchup. “Maybe subconsciously there’s more, I don’t want to say pressure, but the need to get it going. Maybe more so than any other time.”

Posted in All, CJ Siewert | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Favre’s Elbow Feels “Better””

1. By Rick James on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I gotta back my man Favre on this one. A healthy Favre is dangerous to the other 31 teams in the league! Favre is the man you want behind the wheel of this highly potent, high caliber machine that is just on the brink of being unleashed on the league. Once this offense clicks gets into gear the whole league better take notice! The offense will start to create a lead and the defense can start to play downhill which will create more oppurtunities for turnovers and sacks. It’s hard to believe but as the offense starts to gel, the defense will only get better! And that is a scary thought if you are a fan of the other 31 teams in the league!!!! Did I mention the special teams is also subperb, in all 4 phases? Kluwe is a great punter, Longwell is lights out, Percy is the man, Camarillo is winning the field position battles for us and the coverage teams are ferocious!!!! SKOL VIKES!!!!

2. By TWVIKE on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Lets get it going Brett. Time to air it out and kick some Packer BUTT. 11 games left, lets win them all!!!!!! GO VIKES

3. By TN Muddy Cleats on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Good news! I’m sure Brett would be feeling much better had Moss caught the TD pass in last game. That’s the thing w/ Favre: he’s the only guy in the league who is foolish enough to attempt that pass against 2BL coverage AND the only guy who could beat it & put it in a spot to be caught. If Rice makes the catch….Favre knows it’s GAME OVER. IF INTERCEPTED…EVERYONE would have cried, P*ssed and moaned about that Dumb Red Neck this & that. BUT they DON”T want to admit that he makes SUCCESSFUL throws like that all the time which is what makes him a GREAT WEAPON!! Problem is: NFL STATS/Fans only chart the bad = INTS and not the GREAT THROWS that extend a drive & lead his team to victory. FANS R FICKLE but a TRUE FAN will realize U HAVE 2 TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD!!!

4. By Robins on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Brett, you are the greatest! I hope they protect you so you can have a good game! You are getting hit way too much! Last year they protected you! What happened!? I hope you have a fun day with Shiancoe, Harvin and Moss! Adrian, I hope you have a great day too! Have fun Vikings and win! Jared, Ray, Chad, Phil, Pat, Ben, etc. etc. etc. all of you great Vikings….Have a big win! Be great! E.J……intercept some more! You do it well!

5. By chaos on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Favre career accomplishments:
    play 20 seasons….check
    win 3 mvp’s………..check
    win a super bowl….check
    Rodgers career accomplishments:
    play 10 seasons….not
    throw 100 career td’s….not
    inspire grown men to wear cheese on thier heads…check

6. By PAUL M. on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

“THE LORD L-O-V-E-S PERSISTENCE!” — SO HANG IN THERE VISANTHE.

SAY IT AGAIN — THE O-LINE MUST KEEP BRET STANDING. I LUV YA ADRIAN, BUT YOU MUST DO A BETTER JOB PICKING UP BLITZES.

SUGGESTION: WHY NOT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE ON 3rd DOWNS? I HAVE A FEELING THAT A TOUGH KID LIKE PERCY WOULD BE NOT ONLY GREAT AT PICKING UP BLITZES, BUT CAN ACTUALLY DEVELOP INTO A BETTER REGULAR 3rd DOWN BACK THAN CHESTER WAS! WHO PLAYS SLOT ON 3rd DOWNS? SUGGESTION: JOE WEBB CAN LEARN THAT PACKAGE & WILL ATTRACT THE DEFENSE’S RESPECT.

IN MY OPINION IT’S MORE IMPORTANT TO HAVE A TRIPLE-THREAT (RUNNING, RECEIVING, BLOCKING) BACK LIKE PERCY IN THE BACK FIELD IN SUPPORT OF BRET, THAN TO PUT HIM IN THE SLOT WITH BRET EXPOSED TO A BLIND-SIDE. I JUST THINK THAT CHESTER WAS DYNAMITE & PERCY COULD BE NITRO!

BY THE WAY, BESIDES USING VISANTHE MORE — HOW ABOUT CAMARILLO? THIS IS A GUY WITH GOOD HANDS WHO KNOWS HOW TO FIND SEAMS IN THE DEFENSE.

REMEMBER A MAJOR WAY THAT N. ORLEANS DOMINATED DEFENSES LAST YEAR? BREES SPREAD THE BALL AROUND EVENLY TO ABOUT SIX OR MORE DIFFERENT PLAYERS. THEY WEREN’T PREDICTABLE, SO DEFENSES COULDN’T KEY ON ANY ONE PLAYER.

GO PURPLE!

7. By soldier1986 on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

@chaos haha nice one bro. im from wisconsin so il have to share that one with my friends. and the media and fans all talk about favre’s int. but what they fail to tell you is that favre’s int/ratio is better than marino’s, montanna, and quite a few more hall of fame quaterbacks. oh and tarkenton. forgot that guy too. just look at the list.

8. By Alex on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I am very happy to know that Brett’s Elbow is feeling better. We are going to need it on Sunday night when we play the packers. We need Randy to have a flawless game All Day to have a good day running the ball and Brett to have a good day throwing the ball, and Jerad being able to smash Aaron Rogers to the ground. We need this win. GOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

9. By UBRETT-CHA on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Alright, Vikings! To Lambeau we go–rock n’ roll! Lots of excitement and emotion in this one: Divisional rivalries, Vikings can make it a .500 season, and it will be the last time we see Mr. Brett Favre play at Lambeau. Any fan of football can get choked up a little on that one. What an iconic moment! Don’t think that isn’t on his mind, even just a little. I sincerely hope the fans are a lot kinder this year (don’t hold your breath), but I really hope that Brett is greeted with more cheers than jeers. HEAR AND READ THIS, PACKER FANS: BRETT FAVRE HAS EARNED AND DESERVES YOUR RESPECT! IF YOU CAN’T CHEER HIM, THAN PLEASE SAY NOTHING AT ALL!! SKOL, VIKINGS!!! WE LOVE OUR TEAM!!!

10. By soldier1986 on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

@ubrettcha agreed my friend. im sure this game is giving him butterfy’s. this will be his last game at lambeau. and you can count on the fans booing him again. im from wisconsin. trust me. they HATE him! with a passion. and they disgust me. i hope they give him a warmer welcome. it was cool though when brett shut them up. haha that was priceless

11. By TWVIKE on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

All Viking Fans- Let us have a moment of silence, for the Savoir David. He has written a sermon on another blog that will save us from our out-spoken & negative ways. He has kept it basic for us that do not understand or cannot follow his great knowledge & wisdom. We are truly blessed to have him. Never again shall I use his name in vain. I am a changed fan. I owe it all to you David.

12. By purple08 on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Mcnabb goes back to Philly and gets cheered, Favre goes to GB and gets booed. Classy fans in Wisconsin. Pretty sad when Philly fans make you look bad!

13. By rocksalt on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

good one Twvike!!!!
    All hail Lord and Savior David!!!!

2. Oct 21, 2010: Favre’s Elbow Feels “Better” | Vikings Stop Blog