Childress Discusses Moss’ Impact On Vikings

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 18, 2010 – 12:20 pm

In this week’s Monday Morning Mailbag a reader asked what WR Randy Moss’ impact has been through 2 games with the Vikings. We pointed out several ways he’s impacted the team to this point but also threw in the disclaimer that it would be a question better-answered by head coach Brad Childress, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell or even QB Brett Favre.

Well, during his regular Monday morning press conference, Childress was asked that very same question. And here’s how he responded.

“I think they’re paying very close attention to him,” Childress said, “whether they’re playing with a soft umbrella coverage that they played yesterday or fading somebody to him. They’re knowing where he’s at and knowing how he can beat you; and not wanting that to happen. So generally that’s taken a couple people to stay with him.”

Childress also spoke on another way Moss has impacted the team, and that’s emotionally with his passion for the game and for winning.

“I think going back to the first time that I talked about Randy; he’s a passionate football player,” Childress explained. “I’m sure some would say that’s a plus, that’s a minus.  After I said what I had to say yesterday (at halftime), we always get a little break before we go out and he kind of hit it right between the eyes in terms of what we needed to do to play Vikings football (and) win the second half.

“It always, when you don’t know that somebody has that side, there’s a bunch of guys that haven’t played with him before, it’s kind of like an epiphany for them. He’s speaking from the heart and when you speak from the heart it’s always taken very well.”

Tags:

60 Responses to “Childress Discusses Moss’ Impact On Vikings”

1. By chaos on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

lets go Vikes! nice return harvin! way to pwn!

2. By chaos on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

player of the game. Harvin or Henderson?

3. By fire childress on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Randy will have a huge 180 yard day very soon, as soon as our O-line starts to block…..

4. By VikingsDx3 on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Chaos, despite all the love I got for Percy, it was Henderson who was a constant ‘blip’ on the screen who kept the Vikings in the game. We all saw Percy take that return for a TD, but the Defense won that game. Let’s be honest, the main thing to trust the Vikings with right now, IS the Defense.

5. By Old School on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

E.J. Henderson is just a MAN! Plain and Simple……A MAN!

6. By rocksalt on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Now if only the rest of our D would play lites out like EJ……..

7. By rocksalt on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone understand what Childress says? I read his comments and they are often confusing and unclear.

8. By fire childress on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Chilly is not all there. it is clearly seen when he gives press releases

9. By Jared on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

rocksalt: I agree. Childress always has a very long drawn out way of saying something. It gets really annoying having to listen to/read his pressers. He can’t just say “Yes, Moss is good. No, Rice isn’t healthy enough yet.” He feels the need to say things like “Well, I’m no doctor, so I don’t want to say anything to specific, I don’t have a crystal ball or anything, I can’t see the future…” Did you answer the question? No, not really…just answer the questions Chilly!

10. By rocksalt on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Well, if he is confusing to us, maybe he is confusing to the players as well……

11. By Old School on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Rocksalt, I think Chilly likens himself to a Phil Jackson or someone like that, he thinks he is smarter than the average bear. So, he gets in front of the press and he tries to be cute and he thinks he’s smart……….I think he’s an IDIOT! I believe that he gets out coached on the simple x’s and o’s!

12. By TWVIKE on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Old School- Dont say IDIOT, Dumb Ass David thinks you are refering to him. fire childress, rocksalt, how are you guys doing? Are we ready for the Packers? As far as Brad goes, he has no clue what he says or what game he is watching. His head set is not even plugged in, he talks to himself.

13. By vikesfan10 on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

very glad to see farve throw well. Henderson was the man on defense and as far as moss he is showing everyone that he wasnt a problem and never shouldve left home. percy is starting to flash again cann’t wait till gb game stat predictions: Peterson 25 carries 210 yards 2 tds Moss 8 rec 156 yards 1 td favre 23-34 300 yards 2 tds percy 4 rec 80 yards kr touchdown

14. By dieavike on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

childress is a bad coach period, end of discussion, no vision in game plan, no vision in play selection, no vision what so ever. he is lost, dazed and confussed, get rid of clueress sig.

15. By David on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

A win is a win. Great job VIKES!!

16. By ryan on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

anybody knows whats good with sidney rice

17. By Old School on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

TWVIKE, what’s upppppppp! I think we can take Greenbay! It will come down to turnovers. They are dangerous throwing the ball, we all have to give them that. But, I think we can run on them and right now, because of their injuries on the D side of things, I think can throw it also. My biggest concern, does Clay Mathews come back this game? I know he has a hammy thing going on, but, if he is good to go…I don’t know how this O-line of ours ( Mckinnie & Loadholt) keep Mathews off of Brett! Mathews comes from all sides…..they move him around…he is just dangerous! I think the other big thing for us, pressure on Rodgers! We saked him 14 times in the two games last year…..14 times! Pressure, Pressure, Pressure!

Thoughts on that………..?

18. By Old School on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

If we can take them Sunday night….WE ARE BACK IN IT!

Bears will lose Sunday afternoon against the Redskins!

19. By paul on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Player of the game for the vikes, how about Tony Romo..

20. By Outofbounds on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

He talks slow because he is slow…though he clearly thinks it adds to his sense of gravitas….

Put Moss, Peterson, Harvin, and Favre in a room and let them figure out plays they want to run before the game. We’ll promise to pretend Chilly is contributing by ordering off his Perkins menue and he’ll be allowed to waste one time out per half, along with being able to make one silly challenge to an obvious call on the field during the game.

21. By fire childress on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

doing great, will be feeling even better if we beat Green Bay, actually, that might make my whole year. like i said before, lets demote Chilly to the practice squad and give him a toy headset

22. By David on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

A win is a win– good job Childress.

23. By TWVIKE on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

David- You & Brad have a lot in common, you guys are truly IDIOTS!!!!

24. By soldier1986 on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

whats up guys. i think if our o line cant block for favre, our offense will be alright. otherwise there defense is gonna kill favre. and we need to keep pressure on rodgers our he’s gonna tear our secondary apart. our linebackers are awesome. but our secondary could use some help. lets go get them packers

25. By TWVIKE on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Brad is related to Les Steckel and coaches like him to!

26. By David on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Childress is drawn out because he is careful with what he says — he is actually very clever to not give away any details. Everyone wants to hear all the injuries and how players are progressing, and plans on how he will use Moss, etc— why let the other teams know what is going on? Childress probably has a much higher IQ than his critics. Easy to criticize. Besides, 80% of the questions at the press conferences are beyond stuoid– do you think Favre protected the ball better today? Gee, what is the answer to that? Duh. no interceptions and one turnover that was only partially Favre’s fault- then again, the reporters have to ask something to feed the fans. Oh, by the way TWVIKE, it is easy to criticize and it takes even less thought processes to call someone an idiot. Chew on that and meditate.

27. By David on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Oh by the way TWVIKE– you meant to write “too” which means “in addition” or “also.” You wrote the preposition, “to” which is meant for a connection. And you call me an idiot? Geez.

28. By rickster on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

hey you all what about no who got beat three times for tds and chily did not pull his ass out of the game.

29. By rickster on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

we need sombody that can replace no.23, and no.29 ASAP

30. By sigg07 on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

our BIG D held the cowgirls very well especially EJ .Our offensive needs some serious HELP. Farve cant take a pounding like that all season. Our D is our strong point and our offense needs more practice. Whats up with Shancoe?

31. By UBRETT-CHA on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Too many hits on Brett–two on the first two plays? What the heck is that? And definitely way too many sacks–ONE is too many. I’m really surprised that Randy did not haul that one in to the end-zone. He’s caught more difficult ones!!I’m glad the Cowboys kept getting penalties–made things easier for us. That razzle-dazzle play of theirs at the end was a screamer–it scared me cuz’ WE didn’t seem able to catch them.

32. By Stephanie on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I was also surprised that Moss didn’t catch that pass in the endzone for the TD. It looked like a catch he normally would make.

33. By fire childress on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

actually, that pass was thrown a little behind, would of been a hard catch

34. By Control on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Old school: nice prediction on Vikes/Cowboys game. You nailed it once again. So you say the Packers are dangerous at throwing the ball? Wow…you really had to dig deep and study some game film to come up with that one eh? Brilliant. You could replace Chilly in a heartbeat. So you say the Vikes will win this week. I like it better when you go against them. Also you said “saked” instead of “sacked”, you should be getting a grammar tutorial from David shortly. David: To quote the immortal words of Tony Montana…” Why don’t you try sticking your head up your a ss…see if it fits.”

35. By purple08 on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Oldschool and David, that post was supposed to be under my blog handle. I forgot to change the name before posting. Direct your comments at purple08

36. By Derek on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

The O line isn’t bad, Favre is just holding the ball to long. We were in FG range against Dallas and Favre took a sack to get us out of FG range, just throw it away!

37. By TWVIKE on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Dumb Ass David- So glad U R around to correct & edit us yokels.I agree with purple08 and Tony Montana. Im sure somebodies heads is in there.

38. By TWVIKE on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

David- No meditation or thought process needed tofigure out youre an IDIOT!

39. By TWVIKE on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

purple08- Safe to say pretty much anything fits, since Davey is all ASS!!!!

40. By rocksalt on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

now now, play nice fellers……..

41. By rocksalt on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

or.in Chillyspeak:
    Wel, Iit kinda seemed that they were at each other eyeball to eyeball, which is not always an altogether bad thing, to be sure there are instances in our tansitioning element that need to be adjusted, but that is just the nature of the game.

42. By TWVIKE on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Sorry rocksalt.

43. By rocksalt on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

np prob TWVIKE-
    Winning even makes me more tolerant of the Davids……

44. By Purple Nurple on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

David …..Chilly almost cost us the game with a total lack of confidence evidenced by his flat play calling.He is a turd in the punch bowl.

45. By Purple Nurple on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Wade Phillips was the only coach more bewildered out there!
    Do you think he felt the laser stare of JJ on the back of his fat head?LOL

46. By Purple Nurple on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Pre-game conversation between JJ & Wade Phillips:
    ” if you let your fata@# get beat again by that knucklehead
    Col.Klink across the sidelines….YOUR FIIIIRED!Get out of my booth.”

47. By Dave on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I’ll have to admit.. Chillys play calling is far too predictable! I’m hoping we can go grill some cheese sandwichs in green bay!

Skol vikes!

48. By David on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey, CONTROL– I could care less if you make a spelling or grammar mistake– we all do it– heck this is a blog for crying out loud. What some of you that I have never posted to fail to realize is my comments are directed specifically to someone (TWVIKE mostly) who continues to call me Dumb Ass David and Idiot. And when did this name calling start? Look back, I can show you– was it because I was rude to a blogger? NO– I mentioned we would beat the Cowboys and I was called an Idiot. Geez- Anyway, Green Bay is about to get a whoopin’ of epic proportions– you heard it hear first.

49. By chaos on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah! lets go Vikes! kick cheese!

50. By chaos on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

if the packers are named after cheese why are the uniforms green?

51. By hippster on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

because cheese is coverd with mold

52. By vikingsfan1955 on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I see moss as a very good distraction that next week will be more than that and trust me he wants to show off when we play the patriots. We are playing better every week and even though dallas make many mistakes thet are a very good team with a lot of talent. Favre will get it together he always does. A win next week and just as fast as they were calling the team in a tail spin they will then call us serious contenders again. A win is a win and we will be a threat from here out and a few quality wins in the next 3 weeks will give creedence that we are what we believed we were at the start of the year.

53. By Dave on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I smell grilled cheese sandwiches!!

54. By chaos on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I smell burnt grilled cheese sandwiches…and EW! They are STINKY!

55. By vikingsfan1955 on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

well it seems that we aren’t the only team in the division with high expections that has struggled and will they call the game against the packers desperation bowl to and if they do bring it on we won the fiest one and will win the next.

56. By David on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Vingsfan1955 I could not agree with you more– these next two wins on the road will give this team the confidence shot they need– both games have a lot at stake for two of our star players and what is that? Oh, I hear all the analysts discussing how hard it is to beat the Vikings– we will soon have plenty of coverage from all the “experts” who were saying Green Bay was going to the Superbowl.

57. By TW VIKE on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Davey- I feel so honored that your comments are directed my way.

58. By David on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

Thank you TW– the honor is mine.

59. By hosei-im.jp on Jul 6, 2014 | Reply

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!

2. Oct 18, 2010: Childress Discusses Moss’ Impact On Vikings | Vikings Stop Blog