The Vikings dismantled the Dallas Cowboys the last time they saw them, logging a 34-3 lambasting on their NFC foes in the Divisional round of the playoffs at Mall of America Field. That day both teams entered the game playing at their best, with the Vikings coming off a 1st-round bye and the Cowboys coming in off of 2-straight blowout victories over the Philadelphia Eagles.
This time, though, the Vikings and Cowboys come into the matchup not at their best. Both teams entered the 2010 season with high expectations and now both teams sit at 1-3 after 4 games, facing pressure to win and get back on the winning track.
As a result, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress is expecting a tightly-contested game on Sunday.
“It’s no secret where are records are right now,” Childress said on Wednesday before his team’s practice. “Neither one of us are happy with it. In my experience, typically in these kind of games the most desperate team wins. The most desperate team that’s clawing for a victory. I expect it to be contested tooth and nail.”
Here are a few other things to watch for during Sunday’s game…
– If the Vikings win, it will be the team’s 24th regular season win since 2008. The Vikings are 23-13 since 2008 and 18-8 over their last 26 games.
– WR Randy Moss needs just 2 catches to move into 9th place in NFL history for the most career receptions. Moss’s 939 catches trails Art Monks’ 940 for 9th place.
– RB Adrian Peterson can surpass 5,000 rushing yards (currently at 4,964) with just 36 rushing yards. If
he does, it will have taken Peterson just 51 career games to reach 5,000 yards.
– The Vikings defense has given up just 5 off ensive TDs through the first 3 games. Opponents are averaging just 13.3 offensive points per game against the Vikings, fewest in the NFL.
– G Steve Hutchinson will move into a 3rd-place tie for the most consecutive starts by a Vikings guard. Currently Hutchinson ranks 4th with 68 consecutive starts. He trails David Dixon’s 69 for 3rd place. If Hutchinson continues his streak, he will move into 2nd place before the end of the 2010 season.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss, Steve Hutchinson
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 31 Comments »