ID’ing What Went Wrong For Vikings Vs. Jets

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 12, 2010 – 4:55 am

The Vikings staged a 2nd-half comeback against the NY Jets on Monday Night Football that was fun to watch and nearly resulted in victory. But ultimately it wasn’t enough to overcome a disappointing 1st half.

So what went wrong for the Vikings? I know I don’t have all the answers and I look forward to hearing from Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress to get his thoughts. In the meantime, though, let’s look at a few things that didn’t go the Vikings way on Monday night…

Slow starts: The slow starts for the Vikings are beginning to bug me. This is such a talented offensive team and there is a good mix of veterans in the bunch, too, so that leads me to believe this group shouldn’t struggled much at all and certainly not in the 1st quarter, when many of the plays are scripted and the environment has as good a chance as any time in the game to be shaped the way the coaches want it shaped. The Vikings had just three 1st downs and 51 yards in the entire 1st half against the Jets on Monday night. In fact, the Vikings have just 7 total points in all 1st halfs so far in 2010.

Turnovers: Vikings assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier explained earlier in the week that he thought turnovers would be a huge factor in determining the winner of this game. As it turns out, he was right. The Jets were +3 in the take/give department and didn’t have a turnover all night. The Vikings, meanwhile, lots 2 fumbles and had QB Brett Favre throw a game-deciding INT to help the Jets seal the deal.

The Vikings must eliminate this problem. They are now -6 in the take/give department, boasting 5 turnovers but also being guilty of 11 turnovers.

Adrian Peterson touches: Though Favre and the passing offense got it going late in the game, it’s clear that right now Favre and Co. are slow-to-go out of the gates this season. Peterson carried the Vikings in Week 2 and Week 3, leading the Vikings to victory over Detroit in Week 3 thanks to 160 rushing yards. It makes sense…having Peterson shoulder the load while the offense tries to get the passing game in order. But against the Jets on Monday night, Peterson had just 18 carries (for 88 yards) and he had only 1 reception. The Vikings need to keep Peterson more intricately involved in the offense because he’s arguably their best weapon.

Penalties: The Vikings committed 3 penalties on their opening drive, including an illegal man downfield penalty on the team’s 1st offensive snap of the game, which negated a Moss-to-Favre connection. As I explained in today’s Monday Morning Mailbag: Tuesday Edition, the Vikings have been penalized 33 times so far in 2010, which puts them on pace for 132 penalties called against them this season. That’s 31 more than they had last year and it’s just far too many, no matter how you look at it. Many of the penalties are procedural penalties that can be fixed easily.

Vikings rush defense: It’s odd to me that I’m pointing this one out because the Vikings defense has been just lights out so far in 2010, allowing just 53 offensive points; that’s 2nd-best in the NFL behind only the Pittsburgh Steelers. But teams have found a way to run against the Vikings at times and it’s bugging me. The New Orleans Saints were able to run out the clock on us in Week 1, which kept our offense off the field late in the game. Then Miami RB Ronnie Brown got loose a few times and picked up big yardage. Then on Monday night the Jets accumulated 155 total rushing yards on 32 carries, which averages out to 4.8 yards per carry. That’s too much for this dominant and talented rush defense to allow, and I’m anticipating they’ll bow up here against Dallas’ terrific RB trio.

Tags: ,

105 Responses to “ID’ing What Went Wrong For Vikings Vs. Jets”

1. By larry2 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Actually, this was the only one of the upcoming tough 4 game stretch that I was worried about. The Jets are possibly the best team in the league. I’m pretty confident that the Vikes will beat an overrated Cowboys team, an injured Pack team, and a very young Pats team. After that it only gets easier. Really, the only thing I’m worried about is a possible suspension for Favre

2. By Old School on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The best that we can hope for now is to get blown out the rest of this season, Brett will be gone, we sign Moss, Rice is back, and we figure out ( Early) who our starting QB will be and then we go for it.

Oh…..and Chilly gets S$%^ CANNED!

3. By Old School on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes…….Sometimes…….I get this wierd feeling or thought that I hope that they would move the Vikings to L.A. or something and end my suffering….I could go on and pick a new team for the second half of my life…I turn 40 in November!

Isn’t that crazy ?!

4. By Old School on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

LOL !

Not really…….Funny I mean….because it is true!

5. By Bruce on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Old School, I guess your glass has been half empty your whole life huh? That’s too bad & sad. I saw a lot of potential in tonight’s game despite all the distractions. I see some great potential with Favre/Moss/Harvin/Shianco. The only thing they need to work on is consistant protection. They also need to pick up blitzes better. They can turn this around and even take the division. Of course my glass is half full so I see things differently.

6. By martin on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

moving the ball in the second half was a bit misleading..most of the plays were desperation plays that worked because of great talent but there was no strategy to them. it is what every team tries to do when trailing. dallas next week will not be so easy as people think as their offense is loaded and we may have to score 28-31 points to win…we better play a full 60 minutes and no stupid penalties or turnovers otherwise 1-4…

7. By martin on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

overall the o line and d line was beating pretty good by the jets…the score of the game was closer than the play….

8. By lisa on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Bruce for your positive imput. I agree with you, I saw alot of good things in the last quarter and half. If the Vikes pick up where they left off last night, excluding the interception, they should make a good run.. Percy looked awesome.. He is one kid who will work his butt off for Brett Favre. I look for great things to happen with him, especially now since he has Moss to learn from. We’ll be fine Vike fans..

9. By martin on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

we are still prone to one really bad punt/kickoff coverage per game and we have no punt return game right now…it looks to me we have one of the shortest kick off kick averages in the nfl…this team has many great pieces but it looks to me we just have very inconsistent planning and coaching. after last year there is no way we should be in this position

10. By larry on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I cannot,for the life of me,figure out why “chilly” & company can’t do something about what appears to be the absolute WORST offensive line in the NFL.If Favre could spend some time in the pocket and wait for the play to develop,or scan for the most open reciever,instead of constantly running for his life and trying to elude the numerous defensive linemen getting through to him,maybe the offense could score a TD or two.Vikes offensive line sucks!

11. By TERRY CLARK on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

WE’RE COMING BACK! DON’T GIVE UP VIKING NATION! THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO CLICK DESPITE THE LOSS!!! GO VIKES!!

12. By Jimmy Hoffa on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

@ OLD SCHOOL you are right the vikes should go to LA after this season and happy birthday in advance.

13. By Bob on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Favre sucks. Face it…GB got his best years and tossed him out the window like an empty beer can. I’ll bet he was too distracted last night by the weener/texting fiasco…probably thinking about how DIanna will leave his dumb hick-@ss and take half his S#@T!! haha

14. By Loomis on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

OLDSCHOOL is never right he’s a packer fan disguised as a viking fan.Childress never has this team ready to play. They make too many mistakes on offence. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!

15. By FloridaFan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

AP was given the ball alot in the first half but he wasn’t gaining yards. The problem isn’t that he’s not getting the ball enough it’s when he’s getting the ball.
    you can’t continue to be in 3rd & long when the run game isn’t picking up yards. that takes away what brett does best, play action,screens. The WC offense is designed to pass for short yardage in place of the run and keep 3rd downs managable. AP will get his touches but they need to be at the right times. this game was alot like the bears game last year. I would have thought they would have learned from that game. On a bright note, the 2nd half is the best the offense has looked all year.

16. By FÁTIMA on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Ayer jugaron pesimooooooo, Tienen a dos bueno jugadores un RB y WR osea que les pasa Favre es bueno en hacer jugadas largas. lo que necesita el equipo es entrenar mas y que le hechen ganas, la siguiente jugada es con Dallas y denifinitivamente no pueden perder, Nos han decepcionado a todos los fans, I LOVE FAVRE . Favre tiene que jugar mejor no se pueden dejar caer Vikings es un buen equipo y lo demostro la temporada pasada ahora con Moss pueden hacerlo mejor.

17. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

there is nothing positive about a team that had 2 weeks to prepare and showed up completely unprepared……..
    Good teams find ways to win…bad teams find ways to lose.
    Jared Allen was once again manhandled
    Jets QB had little pressure on him all night
    Favre looked awful
    O line looked lost
    stick a fork in this team

18. By Rick James on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I think we have to remember that we were playing the AFC East leading Jets. They deserve credit for being the better team for 3 quarters of the football game last night. It’s not like we were playing the Redskins or the Panthers! We need to look at the first 3 weeks and how anemic the offense was and then how it came to life last night late in the game. Randy Moss is the real deal! I thought he wouldbe nothing more than a decoy last night, and he certainly proved to be much more with 3 days of offensive familiarity. Can you imaging how he will do when he is confortable? Did i mention that was against the best secondary in football? Despite giving up a late TD the defense played extremely well once again. There is plenty to look forward to going ahead. This year is not over! I am not saying that we will run the table here…But i am not saying we wont either! 13-3 doesn’t sound too bad if you ask me!!!! GO VIKES!!!!

19. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

What’s more-teams must play all 60 minutes…..not just a few desparate series……..this of course falls directly on the coaching………..

20. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

i hope you are right Rick James, but I am still bothered by the fact that we had 2 weeks to prepare for the Jets……..that alone should have given us a leg up

21. By gr8tp8ntr on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I feel badly for you Vikes fans. Truly I do – we here in the Packer nation have dealt with this type of thing from Brett for a lot of years, great quarteback, yes….great for the game yes (well until this sexting deal – wow!) Great man? well I guess not.

You guys have a great team and if you had a quarterback that was committed to the team you would have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl….

Sorry -

22. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

also our D had better find ways to pressure opposing QBs, or we are in for a long season……

23. By VAvikefan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

THANK YOU rocksalt…im tired of, “there was some positive things when we…” and “if the vikings can…then we can…” man F that positive thinkin junk. WIN A GAME! how bout that..smh. This is getting rediculous. 1-3 tho??

24. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

we just need a steady qb & Oline…….we then could win some of these games

25. By rocksalt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Right! winning is positive……losing is negative that is why we all feel better when we win.

26. By Dude on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Brett was thinking of ways to explain his behavior to Jared. Jared thought Brett only had eyes for him.
    Hopefully the commissioner will suspend Brett for the rest of the year.
    40 year old man sending pics of his johnson to young women….wow, what a guy.

27. By evalu8er on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Is it the playcalling that makes the start so iffy? i would agree with Peterson having the ball more but he was not breaking through. Why do they send him up the middle and not to a side? His long runs have been down the sides. Last night he as 3 and out. Why was there not more passing in the first half? How did they come out swining in the second and not the first?

I don’t know if it is the playcalling or something else. i think the routes Peterson runs are mostly into the heaviest traffic. Was the O-line not making wholes?

Favre is not going to be suspended. These charges are so trumped up..

28. By Ricky on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Coach Childress:
    Please, I want the Vikings to win. No more losing now. I’m trying to tell you to run fast and score a touchdown. I want the big guy (Jared Allan) to get the football. Please, I want a touchdown, I want a win. That’s it.

29. By JETS FAN on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

J-E-T-S
    JETS
    JETS
    JETS
    HAHAHAHA
    VIKINGS=LOSERS

30. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Dear Wilf family, I really hope it was worth it to bring back the oldman “brett favre”, when you should have left him at “HOME” !!!! the money that you guys are paying him to lose is just unreal,wow he got his 500 TD’s and 70.000 yards milestones, but he always seems to find a way to lose the game for us with an “INT” every time..and as for all you people out here saying it’s not his fault ???? wake up it is his fault and only his, he can’t hit a WR that is wide open but he sure can hit the definder everytime for an “INT”..we are 1-3 and with the teams we still have left to play we will be lucky if we get into the playoff’s with a wild card..thanks alot oldman favre they should have left you at home the season is over thanks to you..

31. By fire childress on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

your a loser, are you lost?

32. By fire childress on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

i agree, Percy was wide open, he would still be running, Brett overthrew him, and he was only a 10 yard throw, lol

33. By fred khatt on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

the viqueens proved once again they are not a winning caliber team. if they think bringing in a has been quarterback and a spoiled little boy reciever that NOBODY wants to make wins forget about it. the viqueens are cellar sweepers, always will be.

34. By TexasViking on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I saw some good things last night and I saw some bad things last night. Chilldress still sucks as a coach and should be fired. He has never had a hold or control of this team and never will. Brett looks like he is hurting. I am not sure if he can make it through the entire season. However, the Jets are one of the best teams in the NFL right now. I did see some serious potential in Randy last night and if Brett does stay healthy, things could pick up quickly for us. Maybe T-Jack should start slowly moving in. He definetly has a strong arm and quickness in the pocket to move. He just needs experience. I don’t know, if this team ever starts clicking in sync with each other, this season still could be saved if they do it soon. Harvin finally showed up to play, which was great. Bernard of course could not be found. Our O-line sucks and needs major work. AP was a beast as always, he is “De Man”. I don’t know fellow Viking fans. I am still believing in this team. I have been a Viking fan all my life and always will be regardless if we win or lose. However, it is so frustrating to see all this. I know we are a better team than 1-3. I know we have what it takes to get to the Super Bowl. I will keep my hopes in this team alive because regardless what happens, I will always bleed Viking purple…….

35. By fire childress on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Brett is getting paid enough to make them throws. he wasn’t in the game, we was worried about something else…..

36. By GWViles on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Favre is a jinx. He will continue to do the wrong things at the wrong times. Forced another one at the worst possible time resulting in a pick 6 and ending the game. You can’t help to like Favre, but he is a huge CHOKER! Reminissant of NO NFC game? Are we seeing a continued pattern here?

37. By fire childress on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Harvin played good because Moss opened up the slot position for him. he plays good in the slot

38. By Robins on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Why can’t we protect Brett like we did last year? He needs protection so he can throw. He is on the ground too much. We now know how great and important the chemistry was with Brett and Sidney. Last night was the first time I saw Percy back to where he was last year, healthy and great. Why can’t we tackle better so Adrian can run for a touchdown? The third quarter gave us a reminder of how great our team can be. Hopefully with Randy with the team this whole week they can get it together. I feel if Brett doesn’t get suspended, we can go far. I saw it at the end last night. We just need to start great and play well the whole 60 minutes. Good luck guys! Brett, hang in there. Be great next week!

39. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I say sit the oldman “FAVRE” down put tjack in and let favre be a cheerleader from the sidelines pay him for this year and then send him home to retire he already got his little milestones…it’s just unreal that we are at 1-3 with all the good players we have on the roster, but I guess it don’t do us a bit of good when we have a QB that is as old as my grandma is and he can’t throw a ball 10 yards to an open WR..favre you suck !!! GO HOME !!!If we don’t get and put in a new QB favre will keep throwing those INT’s and we go 1-15 or 3-13 at best..I hope the wilf family like’s pouring money down a hole because that is what they are doing with favre..

40. By Joe Viking on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Our Vikings are FINALLY getting into the game. SERIOUSLY.
    Today was the first time we have competed, against a team of this season, worthy of our ability & talent (wake up time D & O !! new season). Last year our players had a winning streak that they fought to maintain , this year it’s a losing streak they will brutally fight to change. So, true Vikings fans (the 45+ year vintage), well, our team is not the same as last year (so what, neither is anyone else) hold on to your seats because there are going to be very exciting times from now on. Hey Viking haters….get stuffed. True Vike fans love the game & players & their team forever, no matter what happens. True.

41. By Patrick Peterson on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Am I the only one that saw a big difference how the Vikings played in the 2nd half compared to the 1st.Why wait untill the 2nd half to start throwing the ball,running Peterson up the middle and a cloud of dust 3X and punting is not going to win ball games.I understand you need to establish the running 1ST but, if you can’t establish it then go to plan B. I’m 50 years old and been a Vikings fan my whole life, I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE VIKINGS NOT ONLY GO TO THE SUPER BOWL BUT WIN ONE B-4 I DIE. So let’s get our priorities straight Mr. play callers.GOD BLESS ALL YOU VIKINGS FANS.

42. By Unthinkable on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The first 3 quarters for the most part was totally embarrasing. As much as I hate to say it, Brett looked scared and old. The horrifying truth is that if he sits out, we have Jackson. We have AP, harvin, and Moss and we still look like idiots. Childress is an idiot and should be fired over the play calling. Farve is the most experienced football player in the NFL, let him make the calls at the line.

43. By Yep on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The Vikes offense only played for 2 quarters and we still almost beat the Jets who are arguably the best team in the league. Not bad IMO, trust me it only gets better from here for the Vikes.

44. By CarterMossReed on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Get rid of tahi he is not even a good blocker and useless on this offense. The first half offense was just plain sad the coaching staff must of been on the sidelines half asleep. The penalties just never seem to go away chilly you need to man up and either fix that issue or fire the oline coach something has got to happen it certainly isn’t working. The oline coach needs to be fired too many penalties. Favre needs to quit turning the ball over it cost us the playoffs now this game. The positive notes we had big plays against a good jets defense not many teams can air it out against the jets we did the only problem was we cant protect favre, on some plays we had good protection but a lot in the first half the oline was just pathetic like always. There seems to be some misscomunication at the center position ryan cook doesn’t look comfortable, maybe hand over the job to cooper for now. Griffin looks to be out again what a big loss once again he is the top corner for this team and now we have to play asher who is getting bullied out there. Lito and asher are terrible we need cook and griffin back asap. Run defense doesn’t look to good this year. Madieu is struggling in supporting the run mistackles if I was chilly he is on the hot seat for getting benched in favor of sanford.

45. By hippster on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

cant belive nobodys talking abought the 3rd & 15 at the jets 9 yd line where the jets get an apparent 1st down on a little out pass but get called for holding .then they get the ball back at the 9 yd line ??? what happend to half the distance to the goal ??? it should of been 3rd & 19.5 the refs didnt tack on any penalty yrds ??? childress should have seen that , I sure did . check your DVDS if you recorded the game youll see it too.

46. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Wide open harvin equals td to bad farve threw the ball like harvin is atleast 6-2. Come on hit the open guy. Farve needs to get his head right if he doesn’t Tjack should play. The only good thing right now is aaron rodgers has a concussion so the pack will be held back a little and the oline of the bears will kill thier chances at winning most games.

47. By Mike on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Whats wrong with the Vikings? You name it!
    Head Coach
    Quarterback
    O Line
    Receivers
    Defensive Backs
    Ownership
    Metrodome

Move to LA so I can be Lions Fan! I’m used to routing for a losing team!

48. By Rick James on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

It’s funny to read some of these comments. You guys bash a guy that threw 3 TD’s in one half of football. What are your expectations? He was the most instramental player leading the comeback to get us back in the game. Tho he was also the most instramental player in sealing the game for the Jets. Some of you guys have given up already. I am stuck here in Packer land, and as whiney as they are, they are still optimistic at least. I guess maybe if you guys dont want Favre we could call up Gus Frerrote, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Daunte Culpepper or the many other revolving door QB’s that Viking fans have had to endure. Brett is a proven winner and a leader. Count on him to right the ship and do what it takes to get back on track!

49. By VIKING FAN AFTER MOSS LEFT AND BEFORE PETERSON JOINED on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

LIKE I’VE BEEN SAYING SINCE LAST YEAR, WHAT WE NEED NOW IS A YOUNG QUARTERBACK IN THE DRAFT, A FAST SAFETY, AND A RIGHT GUARD. AND LATER ON GO FOR CORNERS BECAUSE LOOK AT THE COLTS THEY HAVE 2 SOLID SAFETIES AND SOME DECENT CORNERS BUT THEIR PASS DEFENSE IS AWESOME. WE ONE THE OTHER HAND HAVE ABOVE AVERAGE (80%) CORNERS BUT WAY BELOW AVERAGE SAFETIES (65%). I DON’T KNOW WHY TYRELL JOHNSON ISN’T BACK THERE STARTING BUT HE STILL DOESN’T CUT IT. IF IN THE DRAFT WE COULD GET BARRON, WHO I BELIEVE WILL BE THERE IN THE SECOND ROUND,THAT WE BE SOLID CAUSE HE POSSESSES A GREAT BALANCE OF RUN AND PASS DEFENSE. FIRST ROUND WE TRY TO HIT RYAN MALLET (ARKANSAS). AND FOR GUARD IF WE COULD GET THE GUY FROM FLORIDA STATE (I DON’T KNOW HIS NAME..ALL I KNOW IS HE IS BLACK AND POSSESSES TREMENDOUS POWER AND SOLID AGILITY). AND YES A CENTER TOO. CENTERS ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE IN THE LATER ROUNDS. WE DESPERATELY NEED ONE. IF LEFT TO ME RYAN COOK SHOULD START AT CENTER. I’VE SEEN JOHN SULLIVAN GET TOSSED AROUND BY ELITE NOSE TACKLES, WHICH MOST TEAMS WE PLAY HAVE, AND FINESSED BY.BY LINEBACKS TOO MANY TIMES. RYAN COOK JUST BULLDOSES THEM. AND HE CAN PLAY RIGHT GUARD, (WHICH IS OUR WEAKEST POINT ON THE LINE, I COULD EVEN SAY ON THE WHOLE OFFENSE)
    SO ALL IN ALL WE ARE A SOLID TEAM WE JUST NEED YOUNGER PEOPLE UP FRONT AND A YOUNG QUARTER BACK AND SOME SOLID SAFETIES SO BRAD JUST PLEASE DON’T MESS UP IN THE DRAFT NEXT YEAR. P.S GREAT JOB ACQUIRING RANDY

50. By JJ on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Please Zigy, you have a HOF QB, RB, WR, RG, a great defense and 2 very good coordinators. Get the dumb#%$# with the headset out of town now. He doesn’t know how to run a game, especially when it is crucial. He has cost this teams 4 games out of their last 5 because he isn’t prepared to run the game the right way. This team has had a chance to be 4-0 because of the defense but because he has put the offense in difficult situations, they have lost 4 of the last 5. Get a HOF coach to run this show so we can get some wins please!

51. By martin on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

it will be a very difficult game vs the cowboys…if we cannot pressure romo it will be a long day for the d…we will have to get turnovers and some major special team plays…

52. By Eugene on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Childress is the problem

53. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

hey Rick James, who cares if he threw 3 TD’s he also threw a INT that cost us the game so your point is what ???? the man is to “OLD”, you say ( He was the most instramental player leading the comeback to get us back in the game.) well he is also the one who lost the games for us when he over threw harvin and then threw the INT to seal the game for the jets… suspended favre and we will see if it’s not him that is losing the games for us put Tjack in for a few games and we will see..the man is to “OLD” to play in the nfl he got his milestones now send him home to retire…

54. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

If you losers want to go root for another team then DO IT! There is no reason to wait for the home team to move out, just look at the daily forecast and throw on the colors that have the best odds for fair weather. In the meantime, the true fans around here will stick with the Vikings through thick and thin.

55. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

the thing about the cowboys is they are in the same boat we are, they just don’t have a 42 year old washed up QB like we do, they have romo and he isn’t doing any better.so who knows how they game will turn out we will see on sunday..

56. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

PurplePeopleEater , I am not rooting for another team, I just want a new QB is all favre had his time in the sun and now he needs to retire and the vikings need to move on and find a new QB it’s that simple.

57. By Rick James on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

vikingsfan I hope your words taste real good when Favre makes you eat them the rest of the year!

58. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

and you call us losers PurplePeopleEater ?? no the vikings are the losers and they will stay that way until oldman favre retires..

59. By VikFan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Favre sucks!!! He’s showing the same pattern he did at NY and GB – get intercepted when the game is on the line. Now, there’s the sex-texting distraction . You can blame the line for not protecting him, but the magic is gone. The problem isn’t the line. The problem is the guys misjudgement. He tries to force plays because he thinks he is the team. There’s no I in TEAM, but Favre doesn’t think that way.

60. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

ya right Rick James the only thing favre will be doing is crying on how bad of a season he had this year watch and see.

61. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

vikingsfan4life – I was addressing the losers who are begging for the Vikings to move to another state so that they CAN root for another team. FAIR WEATHER FANS who don’t realize that they can move on to the fair weather team regardless of other situations.

62. By TN Muddy Cleats on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

No doubt, a tough loss when Viks really needed a win and a chance to gain ground on Pack & others. Off week seemed to hurt more than help; team was flat and didn’t really look ready. On the other hand, I thought Def played great considering they were on the field most of 1st half. Like it or not, Jets R a very good team w/ a kick *ss Def ! Likewise, Coach Callahan has again helped another team develop a very good running game. When’s the last time our Def had a 100 rushing yards put on them ? Callahan hasn’t had much Head Coaching success, but all his teams have run the ball very well. In contrast, was anyone else taken back by Viks offensive approach ? IMO, there was very little motion or shifting in an attempt to creat some mis-matches, coverage breakdowns and or over loads. There were a few, but overall our offense game plan looked very watered down compared to a number of other NFL teams. What did the coaching staff work on for 2 weeks…the opening reverse play ?

63. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

As for me, I sure the heck hope that Favre makes all of us eat our words, because I want nothing more than for the Vikings to go all the way. But by the looks of it, we are significantly better off with a new QB. I’ll take Jackson. I want to see if he has matured over the last 2 years.

64. By Burgerguy on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The vikings actually pulled a trick play on the first play the funny thing is chilly designed it poorly leaving favre to run like 10 yards up the field catching it. Common chilly use your noggin quit acting like pee wee league coach. It was a poor design play favre as a wideout common did he really think he wasn’t going to get a penalty or the least did he actually think favre was going to take it to the house with his old legs. Chilly I give up on you mr noodles I question what goes through your mind at times.

65. By neo on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Win or lose, I still love my team. It was an exciting (second half) game. Yes we lost. But at the same time, the offense started showing up some of last year’s magic. We had a GREAT season just a year ago and everyone cheered, rooted and embraced the team. Now we are going through a rough season. May be we won’t even make it to the playoffs. But, I am always excited for my team, especially if they can play (even if we lose) like we played the second half yesterday night. GO VIKINGS!!!!

66. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

PurplePeopleEater, I understand what your saying, but if favre don’t get his head out of his but, the only thing he will lead in the nfl this season is INT’s..

67. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

another point here is the vikings are paying favre alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ this year and the vikings are not getting their moneys worth out him !!!!! we should have just went out and got a younger QB for the money they are paying favre and thats the bottom line here like it or not !!!!

68. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

the wilf family even went out and traded up for randy moss to help favre because we didn’t have a WR that could go deep and catch the ball and that didn’t help him either ????? favre is old and he has a bad elbow/ankle it’s that simple..

69. By CA Jets Fan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Look at where the Jets are now, after waving bye-bye to Favre, and a coach change. There is hope, Viking fans!

70. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

maybe next year they can go out and get joe montana to play for us what do you think ????

71. By Rick James on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Well I know I am not throwing in the towel yet, and I dont expect any of the players to do so either. If ever a team were poised for a run wouldnt you think it would be the Vikes? Favre, AP, Moss, Hutch, 69, Williams’, Winfeild. That is a tough list of competitors that I expect to turn it around. Like I said before, the Jets are for real and play well at home. Who knows what happens if the ball bounces our way one time. Special teams doesnt give up an 86 yard kickoff return, Favre hits Harvin on 2 & 5, we actually get good field position instead of Camarillo fair catching every punt around or behind the 10 yard line. Plenty of reason to believe in these guys! I will be first in line waiving my Purple flag when these guys dominate the next 15 – 16 games en route to a Super Bowl Win!

72. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

yes Rick James, we do have alot of real good players on the vikings roster a super bowl team if you will, however if the team is not in sink with each other then alot of good it does us to have them players, this is what makes me so mad about all this we should be 4-0 not 1-3 yes with rice being out that does not help us and yes we just got randy moss however if the cowboys beat us on sunday the season is over and the vikings paid favre way to much money for a losing season……………………………………………………………………………………….

73. By rp20 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I can’t understand why Bevell and Childress don’t get Peterson the ball as often as possible. Yeah he didn’t do a lot in the first half, but in the 2nd half he pops off a 30-yarder and a 10-yarder and then their done running him. If you get the defense going backwards with the run you don’t stop! Keep hammering it at them and one will break, especially late in the game. With about 10-11 minutes left in the 4th quarter, score 13-15, the Vikes completely abandon the run and start passing the ball like its a 2-min drill. They go 3 & out, and the next time they get the ball back there’s only 4 min. left. Now you have to pass. Vikes missed the opportunity to hammer the best rusher in the league on these guys in the fourth quarter in the pouring rain with plenty of time to work with. Can you imagine a better time to run a back like Peterson? What gives Vikes? Don’t over-think this stuff!

74. By Guest on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I bet ca jet fan is a bandwagon hopper, probably has a new team every year.

75. By TN Muddy Cleats on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree w/ Mr. James on a lot of his comments. Yes, Favre is making a lot of $$ and not playing up to it. Then again, so R a lot of others ! Allen was manhandeled last night; he didn’t make many plays. The OL isn’t playing particularly well and inturn…running game / RBs aren’t playing that well. As I mentioned earlier, play calling seemed real flat & over simplified. In short, there’s plenty of blame to go around, and if they come out of this funk, it’s going to take all of them improving and playing better.

IMO, I would throw the ball more to AP and let Toby run between the tackles, AND I would get T. Jackson into the game (whether Favre likes it OR NOT) in some kind of “Wildcat” formation. Out of that formation (a run heavy formation) I would have him throw it more than the Def would expect. I love me some Brett Farve, but T. Jackson can play some QB. He doesn’t throw the ball badly; his problem is Def recognition which helps QB determine who’s most likely to be open on a particular play. Jackson needs some playing time to help him develop. Of course, we all know he could make some plays w/ his legs. When Favre isn’t playing well, what’s wrong w/ giving T a series or two?

76. By Maclong on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

It does not matter what players they bring in to play. The coaching absolutely sucks. Heck lets call a run on 1st and 2nd down. Gain 4 yards. Then we will try to pass. Oh shucks incomplete. Three and Out. What in the heck are the coaches thinking? I think they are loosing the players and the season is over. Farve wishes he did not come back and Moss is going to ride the season out and sign with someone else. We will be stuck with T-Joke next year. When the Vikes go 5-11 next year maybe the owners will wake up and fire Chilly. Nobody in their right mind can say that the Vikings have game plans when you watch a perfomance like last night. All that happened in the second half was Farve forcing things to happen. Look at all of the Vikes problems – penalties, special teams, can’t pick up blitzes, play calling. It is a joke. The coaching sucks, the coaching sucks. End of story.

77. By Guest on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I hate bandwagon fans if you didn’t grow up rooting for the team you are not a fan. Whether the vikings win or lose this season I’m a fan and have been through thick and thin.

78. By Guest on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I do agree the coaching sucks bevell and chilly are a recipe for failure they cant fix the penalties I don’t know what the coaches do in the meetings but whatever it is somethings got to change.

79. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

coaches??? coaches don’t win games the players do, now I am not a big chilly fan myself and yes I do think we need a new coach but we also need a QB that can play not one that is 42 and over the hill it was not the coach that threw that INT or over threw harvin on a 10 yeard pass to give the jet’s the game……………………..it’s that simple……………………………

80. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Favre makes me eat my words Rick James ??? I would love to see that but I think you and every other fan out here knows that favre will prove me right on this…………………………….time will tell won’t it……………………………………

81. By purple08 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I know I dump on Favre all the time but…that aside, I think the Viking can still make the playoffs. Favre pi sses me off though. He looks terrible for most of the game so I start thinking maybe they will sit him,and then he has these flashes of greatness which prolongs his playing time and gets me exited about our chances to win…then he sticks a knife in my belly and twists it right at the end. How many of you said “uh oh, I bet he throws an INT right now” just before he did? I swear to god I did. All the Favre lovers who get angry at the Favre bashers have to realise that we are not disrespecting the mans career but it does not take a football genius to see that his body is falling apart and it is time to retire. Canton awaits you Brett. Go T-Jack!

82. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

favre this season will lead the nfl in one thing and one thing only and that is the most INT’s not TD’s in a season……………watch and see………….the man is to “OLD” and his body shows it……………………………………..put Tjack in there as QB but they won’t because of the money they are paying oldman favre………………………… ……………………

83. By TN Muddy Cleats on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Favre has a lost a lot. But then again, I’m not sure anyone else in the league makes the TD throw to Moss or the 1st TD throw to Percy? Pt is, U have to take the good w/ the bad.

Clearly, Favre isn’t in his prime; I think most everyone knew that when he came to Viks. BUT, he is still capable of playing well and making the players around him better which is what they brought him here for!

Does anyone else think Hutch and McDaniel R still in their prime; they’re NOT playing well and the 2 young OT’s aren’t playing well either! Of course, the injury @ C doesn’t help things. If OL is playing up to their capability, then it’s not up to Favre to make every play in this Offense!!

IMO, Favre’sworst 2 throws; not throwing to wide open FB on 2 point and ball into the ground to Percy over the middle. That was a third down throw w/ approx. 7-8 min left in the game that Favre normally make in his sleep. Flip side, Favre made a great throw to Moss for TD and on the next play

Kickoff Coverage team gives up all the momentum and almost a TD return…..really……Favre’s the only one not playing well……really ?

U gotta take the good w/ the bad and Stick Together if they’re going to rebound and turn the season around……that includes the fans….fans!

84. By wezo on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

When is a cornerback gonna intercept a pass
    Is it me or do these DB’s just play the man.
    Winfield had 1 right in his hands & dropped it, plus the safety is always late on the pass play. Favre blew it again,put blame where it should be. Game on the line & he folds under the pressure.

85. By wezo on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Just wondering if anybody notice how Ron Jaworski said little, if nothing in the
    first half when Favre was clearly struggling.2nd half favre makes some throws an Jaws is cheerleading, what ah nut rider these analyst are especially Jaworski. The pick at the end of the game u cant blame tha O-line so Jaws gives credit to Ryan an his D, never saying how Brett stared Shiancoe down not thinking to look off the db. I’m hurting so i just gotta laugh to get through this week leading up to the Cowgirls & Mr. Overrated Tony romo.

86. By Chris on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The vikes played real well in the second half. The thing that bothers me is that in the first half they couldn’t protect favre at all. Especially Phil loadholt, i know we got Chris Degeare, i say put him in because Loadholt sucks, and cant run or pass block, hes just taking up space, that is costing the team wins.

87. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

LOL, yes wezo, Favre blew it again !!!! and he will again, again, but you know what alot of you are right it’s not just his fault, I also blame this season on the the owners and coach’s because they could have used the money they are paying favre for just this one season 2010 to go out and get a younger QB out of the draft or trade for one but they didn’t they put it all on favre knowing rice is out for half the season and then they go out and make a trade for randy moss and still no help, favre blow’s it again……………………………………………. so yes I guess you can blame more then just favre for this 1-3 start…………………..

88. By mike on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Until the Viking eliminate the penalties, turnovers, slow starts, and get some real safeties, this will be their fate. Their safeties never make a play, take horrible angles on plays and are always a step late getting to the football.

89. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

and yes I will sit here and player hate on favre, every time he loses a game for us because of a INT…………………………………………………………

90. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

now I am done bashing on favre for this week, stay tuned for next week””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

91. By rodney on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

common guys the first play should be put in the playbook.Moss to favre did not see that one coming good game vikes….The vikings are getting fired up..Lets all support them and the coaching staff..Brad has alot on his plate.And the team.

92. By vik1965 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

vikingsfan4life, your a joke and stay off this site!!
    I have to agree with the users indicating coaching is alot of the issues at hand, a big part of professional sports is momentum, when coaches decide not to take 3 in the game to take a lead, and go for 2 when we did not need it and fail, that psychologically messes with players. This is fundamental football and not hard to win when you have talent.

93. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

vik1965, you stay off this site Ahole !!! and your as as dumb as the others that can’t see the problem for what it is..so kiss my a$$…………………………..

94. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

hey vik1965 let me guess favre sent you some pictures as well lol, your a joke…………

95. By Old School on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

You guys are all negative!

LOL!

You should be………..I hear alot of would’ve , could’ve, should’ve……..If if’s and but’s were candy and nuts!

It’s called SCORE BOARD!

SICK OF HEARING…WELL, THEY LOOKED BETTER….OR IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE GETTING CLOSE OR I SAW SOME POSITIVES…………….?! WTF!

I guess that we are already playing the 18 game schedule already…..? I guess we do have time to get it right before we are buried in our own division!

96. By martin on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

based on last year this team had the potential to be very dominant with some wise player additions and strategy this did not happen.. the opener was winnable but sb winner opener hard to win… but there is no excuse to losing the opener to miami if you consider your self a sb team…detroit game was okay but not great…yesterday we looked like many teams we played last year..the dominant team dominates the little team pushes back but is just not good enough to beat the elite team…we were the dominate team last year this year we are tlooking like the little team close but just not good enough to beat an elite team…next 4 games can be won but just as easily can be lost…based on the team so far 5-3 or 1-7 would not suprise…one thing for sure this team needs major management cleaning for next year

97. By fmfan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Favre lovers close your eyes! Our 1-3 start is because of Favres poor play. He has 10 of our 11 turnovers (7-ints, 3 lost fumbles) but still throws the ball more than AP gets to run it. WHY!!!

98. By Just Win on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

VikingsFan4Life and fmfan,
    You guys are so right!

Also all I can say is “Thank God for Jenn Sterger”. She might actually be the main reason we save our season. Hopefully Favre gets suspended immediately for the rest of the season. Then we can finally have T-Jack go in and win some games for us. It’s so painfully obvious that Favre no longer has what it takes, which is why we’re 1-3 and not 4-0.

Go Jenn! Go Commision Goodell! Go T-Jack! Go Vikes

99. By Just Win on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I think Longwell, Hutch, and Allen should be man enough to admit they were dead wrong for going down to Hattiesburg. These three can still make amends by driving Favre back down to Hattiesburg NOW.

As a lifelong Vikings fan, it’s so difficult to see that all the pieces are in place to win the Superbowl this year, except only to see Favre single handily destory this dream.

100. By PICKED OFF on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

It doesn’t take rocket science to determine that when you give the game away with INT’s and fumbles…you’re going to lose. My whole family is huge Favre fans but it’s to the point that when he throws the game losing INT it feels like a punch in the stomach. Just when you get your hopes up that we might be able to pull this one off…BOOM! Lack of O Line protection doesn’t help either. Kudos to AP though for working on his fumble problem. He struggled with yards last night but he held onto the ball. NO MORE PICKS PLEASE!

101. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

(Griffin Out For Season With Knee Injury Again) , boy our season just keeps getting better and better, hey wilf family boy did you guys make a mistake this season or what the money you guys put out for a winning season and it’s turning out to be a losing season !!!!send favre home because Favre will get suspended at least 4 games and let Tjack finsh out the season because there will be no playoff’s for the vikings this season sad, sad but true…cowboys beat vikings this sunday 31-17.

102. By Meekay on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

We can look at Favres shining moments all day long, but it won’t change the fact that he single-handedly cost 3 drives in a game against one of the top teams in the league. Moments of greatness to not make up the difference from entire quarters of lousiness.

103. By terry on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Brett is pressing and trying to make a play. If we protect him, we he could make more plays.

If you the defense is blitzing 50 percent of the time, run a screen pass or a hot pass. This will soften em up once he burn em for 40 yards. Then once they stop blitzing, you can throw it down field to Randy. Once you throw down field to Randy, you can run the clock out to All DAy AP. that is the game plan every sunday….its simple and it will work.

104. By fuadisgod on Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

resons for loss to jets: offensive play-calling vikes didnt throw a pass on second or first down until 3rd quarter, jets o-line outplayed vikes d-line badly, and tendenitis you cannot play qb with that condition farve must sit

2. Oct 12, 2010: ID’ing What Went Wrong For Vikings Vs. Jets | Vikings Stop Blog