Griffin Out For Season With Knee Injury

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 12, 2010 – 2:28 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress confirmed while meeting with reporters on Tuesday afternoon that CB Cedric Griffin will miss the rest of the season because of a knee injury he suffered with about 10 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter of Monday night’s loss to the NY Jets.

You have to feel for Griffin because he’s been a young, up-and-coming player on the Vikings defense and now he’ll be rehabbing a significant knee injury for the 2nd consecutive year. He injured an ACL in last year’s NFC Championship Game at New Orleans and spent the entire offseason and training camp rehabbing it. He eventually made it back on the playing field ahead of schedule.

Now Griffin will go through the rigorous rehab process again. Coming back from dual significant knee injuries is certainly difficult but it’s not impossible. In fact, Vikings LB Chad Greenway, who was drafted by the Vikings in the same year (2006) as Griffin, has done it. We send our best to Cedric as he begins the long, grueling road to recovery.

Tags:

23 Responses to “Griffin Out For Season With Knee Injury”

1. By Rick James on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

This hurts us as a team. Cedric is truly an up and coming star! I feel for him and hope and wish him the best! Keep your head up kid, you know the road of recovery too well, but you also know you can do it! Can’t wait to see you back out there in the purple 23 next year! Best wishes Ced!

2. By Adam Windjue on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I feel awful for Cedric he is truely the best corner on this team and this is a huge blow to the Vikings organization. But he has proven he can make a comeback and I have no dounbt he will do it again. Best of wished Ced I’m gonna miss seein you on the field but can’t wait to see that #23 next season. Keep your head up man you’re going to be a star in this league someday!

3. By CowboysRule on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Our wideouts r going to have great day on Sunday.

4. By Guest on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

We need cook back what a huge loss once again back to our defense getting torched again, allen and sheppard cannot cover.

5. By The Man on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Check out my blog at vikingsbleedpurple.blogspot.com for professional updates and post game analysis information. I will be updating the site daily and would greatly appreciate it if everybody would spread the word!

With that in mind, the Cedric Griffin injury poses some serious problems now for the Vikings. With Cook and Griffin both out, the already struggling Vikings secondary will now be stretched to the max. The only way the Vikings secondary will be able to succeed now is if they shut down the running game instantly from the first snap and allow them to settle back into some extra defensive back coverage. If teams come out and start throwing the ball, it’s only a matter of time before the entire league finds out about the Vikings greatest weakness.

6. By phoenixfiend on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

finally jared allen will get some cracks at a qb!

7. By larry2 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

The way I see it, this whole season so far has been a head scratcher. The Colts and Saints have already lost 2 game s each, the Vikes and Cowboys are both 1-3, the Chargers are 2-3 after losing to Oakland. This will be one of those season where you’re not going to know whos in and who’s out until after week 16. This thing is wide open.

8. By JeffGreen311 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Come on guys. This isn’t the end of the world! Cedric Griffin will surely be missed, but in the first few games when he was out the back up corners did a GREAT job. There was talk about our secondary then being a HUGE question mark, but we held the SAINTS to only 2 touchdowns! We have a GREAT defense as a COLLECTIVE. Be calm. We will be fine and prevail. Have trust and faith in this team.

9. By jim on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Talk about bad timing. I hope evrything works out well for him. Now if the Jets players get busted for something and Sanchez gets deported it will make me feel better

10. By PAUL M. on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I ATTENDED THE GAME VS. THE JETS AS A FULLY CLAD VIKINGS FAN.

LIVING IN NJ, I LISTEN TO ALMOST EVERY REX RYAN NEWS CONFERENCE.

IF ANY VIKINGS FAN WANTS A TASTE OF HOW & WHY THE JETS AS A TEAM – AND THEIR FANS – ARE SO MOTIVATED TO WIN & EXCEL, JUST GO TO NYJETS.COM AND WATCH THE REX RYAN NEWS CONFERENCE. IT IS WHAT IS MISSING FROM OUR VIKINGS THIS SEASON.

FOR GOD’S SAKE WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE 2nd HALF OF GAMES FOR OUR TEAM TO COME TOGETHER?? CAN’T THE COACHING STAFF MAKE THEIR ADJUSTMENTS ON THE FLY?? I’M SORRY TO SAY THIS BUT BRAD CHILDRESS, IN MY OPINION, IS JUST A GLORIFIED OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR – AT BEST! I KNOW THAT COACH ANDY REID VETOED BRAD CHILDRESS ON MANY OCCASSIONS, SO HIS SUCCESS AS THE EAGLES OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR WAS DUE TO A MAJOR PART TO ANDY REID.

OUR SAVING GRACE THIS WEEK MAY BE THAT IN WADE PHILLIPS, WE’RE FACING ANOTHER – AT BEST – GLORIFIED ASSISTANT.

WE NEED GREATNESS, POISE AND A PROACTIVE INNOVATOR AND LEADER IN BOTH OUR HEAD COACH AND QB OF THE FUTURE.

EVEN THOUGH I HAVE GREAT ADMIRATION FOR SPIELMAN, I’M VERY FRUSTRATED THAT WE WEREN’T AS PROACTIVE AS WE COULD HAVE BEEN DURING THE PRE-SEASON IN ACQUIRING A WR, O LINEMAN, CB, YOUNG QB OF THE FUTURE, ETC. WHAT DO I MEAN BY PROACTIVE? JUST GO BACK AND REVIEW ALL THE MOVES THE JETS MADE. WHY DO
    I CHOOSE TO LOOK AT THEM? BECAUSE I BELIEVE THEY ARE NOW THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL.

HOPEFULLY OUR SEASON WON’T BE OVER IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS! I JUST WANT TO WIN – NOW!!!

11. By Robins on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I feel so bad for Cedric! He will be missed. I am thinking positive about our team. The last quarter showed we still have our magic and greatness. We just need to start well. Losing Chester for good and Sidney for a few months has really shown how great they were. Percy looks great again and will learn a lot from Randy. Randy will get a whole weeks practice with Brett! Think positive! We have the talent, we just need our coaches to use some smart creativity and let Brett run a lot of the show. Adrian hasn’t fumbled this year! Get it together guys and win! I know you can! Brett be great the whole game! If we win the rest of the games we will be ok. Good luck guys!

12. By Purple Pride on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

This is some horrific news to hear. But if you wanna look at the positive our D held their own, when griffin wasn’t in there. He has only played 1 and 3 quarter games. It’ll be interesting to see who we bring in this week to replace him. Childress said hes planning some big roster moves. To bad he couldn’t look ahead to the what ifs. during the Preseason. Our Offense finally has otten a spark which is great, and I’d be exteremly excited if sidney can make it back at the end pf the month and that will take a lot of the pressure of our D. We should and will have a high flying offense. I think we have seen the spark and that will ignite on Sunday. With that said SKOL VIKES. They need us as fans more then ever and I hope We can give that to our team.

13. By Philly Viking on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Noo!! not again huh!! stay strong CED.G stay strong my brother I wanna see you on the sideline being the biggest cheerleader you can to up lift our teams spirit and keep your mind focus on coming back next year ur still very young and tru the power of ALLAH I’ll pray that you do continue your career in football once again at full strength and recharged with the hunger of a shark take care kid and stay strong my bro. we all do feel your pain but always remember your a VIKING!! AND ALL WE DO IS FIGHT!! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!!

14. By Philly Viking on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

I STILL CANT FIGURE OUT WHY THE VIKINGS HAVENT TAKEN A LOOK AT JUSTIN FARGAS(HUGGIE BEARS BOY) EX-RAIDER RUNNING BACK? HE CAN CATCH BETTER THAN ALL OUR BACKS OUT OF THE BACK FIELD PLZ. BRING THIS GUY IN HE PLAYS VERY HARD AND CAN BLOCK LETS JUST CHECK HIM OUT INSTEAD OF WASTING A DRAFT PICK ON SOMEONE ELSE AND CAN ALBERT YOUNG DO ANYTHING HE’S JUST BEEN HIDDEN AWAY? NOT IN ANY GAMES AT ALL WHAT CAN THIS KID DO?

15. By vikingsfan4life on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

(Griffin Out For Season With Knee Injury Again) , boy our season just keeps getting better and better, hey wilf family boy did you guys make a mistake this season or what the money you guys put out for a winning season and it’s turning out to be a losing season !!!!send favre home because Favre will get suspended at least 4 games and let Tjack finsh out the season because there will be no playoff’s for the vikings this season sad, sad but true…cowboys beat vikings this sunday 31-17.

16. By NYViking on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

So sorry that happened to Ced. He’s a great player, and made a huge difference in this team. Get better Ced. Cant wait to see you next season.

17. By Old School on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Paul M………………………………………We get it! Stop throwing that S#$% that you wrote on ever blog! D$%^!

18. By VIKING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

I am a true vikings fan but the season is over. Very typical of the Vikings, to dissapoint every single year.

19. By Bruce on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

vikingsfan4life, your name should be packersfan4life because you say the same S H I T a Packer fan does about Brett! The Vikings have lost 3 games by a total of 18 points! I have seen teams lose one game by than many points. Give it a rest and some faith dude!

20. By fire childress on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

lets put chilly on the physically unable to preform list. then bring in a coach who can give us wins, chilly needs to leave on his own for the good of the team, they will not fire him

21. By fire childress on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

we will end up not getting a stadium if chilly doesn’t win a superbowl. i don’t see us winning the superbowl, so were going to lose the team

2. Oct 12, 2010: Griffin Out For Season With Knee Injury | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Oct 13, 2010: Cedric Griffin Torn ACL, Brian Robison Sprained Ankle « Purple Pants, Green Jersey