He Can Still Bring It

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 7, 2010 – 2:39 pm

It’s been a blur around Winter Park the last couple of days with the Vikings acquisition of WR Randy Moss still setting in for the organization and its fanbase. But after Moss’ 1st practice and press conference back in Minnesota, one thing is clear – he can still bring it.

And if Moss brings even half as much spark to the offense that he brought to his press conference on Thursday, the Vikings will be in great shape. The media contingent gathered at Winter Park for Thursday’s press conferences was the largest since perhaps Brett Favre’s 1st press conference as a Viking. Several times while speaking with the media, Moss had the gallery of reporters laughing after comical – and also candid – answers.

The general message from Moss was clear, though. He was enthusiastic about being back in Minnesota and he certainly looks forward to reinvigorating the tremendous relationship he had with the Vikings fanbase.

“I’m very fortunate to be back home where it all started,” Moss said. “It’s been a hectic last 48 hours and I didn’t really know what to expect. But I’m back home and it kinda feels weird knowing that I was just in New England trying to make things happen and then over night just get traded back home.

“I thought about this time and time again about how this thing was going to play out and ‘Is the love for me still here in Minnesota?’ But all I’ve been seeing is nothing but positive. So to all the Vikings fans that’s coming to that Metrodome, pull your 84 jerseys out. I think this is going to be a fun ride.”

As for his on-field experience on Thursday, Moss said it felt good to be out with his new teammates and that he’s kept an eye on this Vikings team in recent seasons.

“I’ve paid attention to the team and the success they’ve had over the years,” Moss explained, “and by bringing me back here I just want to see if we can get this thing done.”

Vikings fans have missed Moss and his playmaking abilities ever since he was traded to the Oakland Raiders after the 2004 season. And Moss indicated there was a part of him that missed Minnesota, too.

“I have strong faith,” Moss responded when asked if he ever envisioned being back in Minnesota as a Viking again. “I have a lot of faith in God that he’d put me in the right situation. I think me being traded from New England to here, I guess this was his plan. So I’m going to embrace it, take it in stride and hopefully bring it home.”

Tags:

75 Responses to “He Can Still Bring It”

1. By Pat the Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Glad you are back home, Randy

Kick some a$$ Monday Night !!!

2. By Ben on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

pretty stoked that Moss is back in Minnesota! Can’t wait till Monday night I hope Favre and Moss will light it up all night!

3. By mike cinkan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

let me say this favre moss sidney rice vishonte shancoe percy harvin peterson need i say more

4. By Alex Lawson on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I have never wanted to watch a football game as much as I want to watch one this Monday. The suspense is killing me! There was a guy on ESPN who said it best, “The Minnesota Vikings have themselves a fantasy football team.”

5. By Justin on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Funny that just ONE trade changes the outlook on things. Skol Vikings!

6. By Johnny B on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I watched the PC and I believe we are about to see the best offensive performance in NFL history. That is if Chilly will just cut loose. I just heard that there’s issues between him & Bret, no surprise that something has to tarnish this wonderful day. Hopefully, we’ll see AP run a few draw plays and a few screens, something they rarely due. But How cool will it be when Moss catches Favre’s 500th TD!

7. By steven on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

i cant WAIT

8. By Eugene on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Can you find any roster this season with as many lethal weapons as we have? Chilly please turn those guys loose I mean 14-2 is a realistic record with the weapons we have

9. By BrettFavre on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The Randy Ratio!!!!

10. By Pat the Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

At the beginning of this season when I heard about Sidney being out – My first thought was “man I wish we still had Moss” – been thinking that ever since we traded him – Why……man I wish we still had Moss –
    He back now, LET KEEP HIM !!!

We was the ONLY team that wanted and beleive in him coming out of College – he should retire a Viking !!!

Randy a Viking, we ALL are Vikings So let be VIKINGS !!!

11. By Eugene on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

If there are two players that deserve to team up and win a Super Bowl its Randy Moss and Brett Favre. And what better way to stick it to Green Bay than for them to win it with the Vikings!!…Skol Vikings!!

12. By xmasboy on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t get the punch line at the end of Randy’s press conference!? What did he mean by

“What if I’d a been on that boat? Then there really would be problems.”

lol, thanks guys

13. By Pat the Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The BOAT PARTY !

14. By fire childress on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

yeah, the love boat

15. By fire childress on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

ladys of the night, all Vikings players were invited, moss never went, several players got in trouble with law,

16. By Pat the Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

They LOST to Atlanta that Sunday – I think because ALL they could think about was that Boat Party – HOW CAN YOU WANT TO PARTY WHEN YOU GET BEAT BY Atlanta as badly as they were playing.

17. By Pat the Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

When it’s FOOTBALL Season – Should be NOTHING BUT FOOTBALL !!!

18. By xmasboy on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

YEAH BABY I”M ON A FU*KING BOAT!!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

19. By Love up north on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Welcome back Randy! They should have made you a franchise player from the beginning!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

20. By patrick on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Welcome back Mr. Moss time to shut the haters mouth for good

21. By purplehorn on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The Super Freak is back in the house. The Dome’s lid is gonna blow off the first time Moss runs out on that field! Check this four receiver set……Berrian, Harvin, Rice, and Moss……with Shank on the sideline and A.P. in the backfield. OMG! If you’re not excited…..you must be a Packer fan!

22. By skolpurpleandgold on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

welcome back Randy! Lets shoot the moon :) skol-vikes

23. By pete on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Trade BERRIAN, Greg Lewis and a second and third round pick and part of Brett’s salery to san diego, for V-JACK! Sidney might not make it back healthy.!

24. By Jonathan Holloway on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always been a Viking fan and Randy leaving left a bad taste in my mouth but if you think about it if we kept randy then we wouldn’t have gotten half the players we got like AP jared allen and perhaps even percy harvin. We have a more complete team now so having faith in God also i believe it is all in God’s plan sometimes you gotta go away to rebuild. But the reunion should be great. Some cool facts 3 players on the team who were once rookie of the years and a 3 time mvp. The offense i think will get rolling Ap should benefit the most due to people worrying about Moss besides the Jets no one else can single cover him and i don’t think they will be able to on monday night. Its going to be to much engergy for moss and the rest of the team. Go vikes!

25. By larry2 on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Actually Purplehorn, your lineup looks good but I would definitely substitute Camarillo for Berrian. Berrian should be given a set of pom poms and take his rightful place in the cheerleader lineup!

26. By TO on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

hahahaha @pete…

Just got Moss back in purple, and you think we’re still in need of Jackson?

I’ll take three of what you’re smoking.

27. By taxdawg on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

well looks like i get to get out my old moss jersey from 1999. its about time you came home moss know lets go get that superbowl ring

28. By vikings4life on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

new single season point record??? :)

29. By Bryan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The “Welcome Back Kotter” theme song comes to mind. Welcome back Randy, welcome back!!!!!! Love ya hoss good to have you back!!!!!!

30. By Lito on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

One of the best moves of the Vikings organization. Mr. Wilf, thank you. How about a humongous offensive lineman to protect Bret and create holes for Adrian.? Also a genuine return specialist threat, please?

31. By plaxico furris on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

trade berrian, and greg L. and a second and third round draft pick plus some of brett’s cash to san diego for v-jack

32. By Vikesfanforever on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Glad you’ re back Randy!!

33. By CA Norwegian on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Monday night is going to be a battle, that I hope Brett emerges from healthy. Moss is still a great player, but it may take a little time for whats looks easy. I think they can win the superbowl with these guys, they just have to put in the work. I even think they can win with T-Jack now, as long as we block, block, block. I noticed when Brett took over, it diminished AP’s stardom or stats at least last year. I say keep giving him the rock, and do not try to gdt vertical unless AP starts dropping it or we are not in a close game. The D’s of teams that play pound and ball control, always play better, as ours has.

34. By NY Viking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Loved Moss’ PC when some lady tried to bring up his past & he politely dismissed her with “next question, next question, I need another question”. It’s clear she was there just hoping to get a rise out of him. Let’s hope the Wilfs had security escort her from the building. He said all the right things when asked about a contract & the Pats. He’s right. Football is a business & the fans would be better off if they understood that, but he wasn’t going to aaddress that today. I also loved the “Love Boat” jab at the end. Even the NFL made light of it back when it happened with their commercial “With Randy Moss gone it’s gonna be smooth sailing for the Vikes!” HE HAS MATURED! Wilfs you’ve done great in righting a colossal wrong & getting him back here where he always belonged. Now finish the job, give him a contract & let him retire a Viking & go into the HOF ala Fran Tarkenton!

35. By VikesFTW on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Dude, where’s Randy’s tag? :D

36. By Dawn Wisconsin on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

OMG!! THIS IS NOW ONE AWESOME TEAM!!Favre and Moss, Chilly all seemed alot happier today..giggles laughs..awesome pressers.Favre wanted Moss back in the Packer days and never happened. He has to be ROFLMAO at the Packers. I am so happy for Minnesota, Viking Fans and Favre. The dream team
    Good Luck guys..I’ll be rooting for ya..oh and when you get to GB in a couple of weeks and you get your 3rd touchdown,,Randy and Brett Please moon the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By Joe Joe on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Amen Brother… amen!

38. By Joe Joe on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

All I can say is… hurry up #18 and come back before you miss all the fun! :o) Can u imagine now what it is going to be like for AP out of the backfield? OMG! Can you say 2K running season this year! This offense is getting ready to BLOW UP! Welcome back super freak… I missed you. Now I guess it is safe for me to add your number to my car. LOL! Hey when Sydney Rice comes back it is going to be like you have # 80 back on the other side of the field, with Jake Reed in the slot on 3rd downs…. those where the days. :o) Onward to Valhalla!!!!!!

39. By xmasboy on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Too bad Brett never had a chance to tap that nice a$$ at N.Y.!!! I wonder if he’ll say hi on Monday! ;)

40. By The Vikings Saint on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I think Chilly has some sort of “thing” for picking up future hall of fame players… we have the potential for 4 or 5 of them ON OUR OFFENSE ALONE NOW!!!!! welcome back Moss!!! cant wait to watch you and Favre hook up for that first TD pass! Can we get any more story-book? For the Vikings 50th season Favre, in his 20th season, comes out of retirement (again) much to the medias “disliking” starts the season a little slow, then out of no where the Vikings trade for their former star, Randy Moss, who many people have claimed to be losing a little of the magic. The team comes out, on Monday Night Football, starts clicking in the second quarter. Then after halftime Childress gives them the reigns. Peterson is running for TD’s, Favre, Moss, Harvin, and Shiancoe are hooking up for TD’s, Jared Allen and Ray Edwards are sacking the opposing QB left and right, the other offense cant get any more than a first down, and as the Vikings reach the NFC Championship game they come up against the Saints. To end the game AP runs for a 97 yrd TD with 30 seconds left for the win. The VIKES ARE HEADED FOR DALLAS!!!! They get their and proceed to win the franchises first SuperBowl ever, completing Favre’s and Moss’ careers! CAN YOU GET ANY BETTER??? tell me that after a story like that there will be a strike!

41. By Joe Joe on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Dude that was so well put… big ups to you brother. Big ups!

42. By The Vikings Saint on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks! Im just excited to watch it play out!!!

43. By purple08 on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

My only worry is that Favre won’t be able to throw the ball far enough for Randy. The old guy can’t throw very far any more. Maybe if he throws underhand he can do it.

44. By Woodboat on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Heh… Farve can’t throw very far anymore…. Yeah, Brett is no Jamarcus Russel able to throw the ball 80 yards. Should we give him a call? Farve can throw far enough to get Randy the ball. Remember, when other players are covered, Moss isn’t. He isn’t the burner he once was, either, but he can still elevate and still has those size 40 mitts. Don’t sweat it, purple08, it’s gonna work.

45. By Loren on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Favre cant throw it that far?Is 63 yards in the air far enough.He did it against trhe Dolphins and dumb a$$ Berrian dropped it.

46. By Woodboat on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Joe Joe, you are mistaken about Randy having Chris and Jake on the field with him. Randy has NEVER played with the talent this team has. Who would you rather have… Carter and Reed, or Rice and Harvin (assuming all are healthy :) ). CC is probably my favorite player all time, but I think I’d rather have Rice and Harvin. Couple them with Shank and Peterson, and trade Culpepper for Favre? Ridiculous!!! If the line can get its act together, this team is a freaking wrecking ball on offense. Remember, when 84 was here the first go ’round, there defense was pretty weak. They had to score a zillion points per game to win. With this crew, if they can get in the 20s they should win most of their contests! Come on Rice, heal heal heal!!!! lol

47. By lisa on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

This is all great stuff on here… My question is, where are all the Packer fans who have been creeping on our site lately??? Where are they???

48. By Viking-ology on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Good posts everyone! Looking forward to Monday night Football. It should be a wild one. Skol Vikings!!!

49. By Pack2VikesFan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I suggested back in preseason that the Vikings go after Moss…and most fellow bloggers replied that I was “crazy” for suggesting such a notion. They said that New England would never give him up or that Minnie would not want to sacrifice the draft picks. Yet I have to admit that I though Vincent Jackson was a more realistic acquisition. Did Favre having anything to do with it? YOU BETCHA!

Now that the team is complete once again, it’s time that Brett defy father time and invest in a case of 5 hour energy shots and a few shots of human growth hormone (unless the league banned it). Favre lost a lot of valuable time sitting out preseason and losing opportunities to get the timing down with his receivers.

50. By chi-town vike on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Im totally pumped for this game

51. By CaliViking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The “missing link” has arrived: Now it’s time to get back to business & win games!

52. By Frederick Jones on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre is only 40. He is not 70!

Just because they show ONE PLAY where he didn’t throw the ball far enough does not mean the man can’t throw it long.

Besides, throwing long is often over-rated. Tarkenton could throw the ball all over the field, and he certainly did not have the arm Favre has.

53. By chi-town vike on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

berrian is not good anymore. when the bears lost him nobody really cared. Is one dimensional at best. Has been afraid of contact for years. Has little heart it appears. Took the money and ran…..half speed.

54. By Pack2VikesFan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

The Packers thought that they had the division wrapped up…until they got beat by the Bears and #84 returned to the dome. Rodgers has been barely better than Brett up to this point in the season, which doesn’t say much given the fact that he is about a decade and a half younger! A lot of former Packer fans defected with Brett and lost faith in GB management. Cheese-heads have no room to trash talk.

But the bigger picture in the division is whether or not the Pack can make a serious run at the SB without a serious running game. Their offense is so one-dimensional right now that they should be worried. Pass. pass, and keep passing. I never thought that I would say this in ’10, but the Bears have a more complete offense!

55. By CaliViking on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

BB should have been cut or traded once the organization acquired Moss. You would think that they would want more cap room for Randy and dump the dead weight. Why they keep him I haven’t a clue. Javon Walker was a better receiver.

56. By purple08 on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

57. By Alex on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Very Happy to Have Moss back home now lets tear it up and get everyone healthy Sidney Rice and win a SUPER BOWL. Goooooooooo VIKINGS.

58. By Andrew on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

ThankGod Randy Moss is back we have been missing you hopefully u can complete us agian :)

59. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

BB’s position on the team is solid at least until Rice returns to the field. He is the speedy decoy on the opposite side of Moss to keep defenses honest. I’d honestly prefer they put Camarillo in there, but knowing Chilly, he’ll stick to the guy that has the speed over the guy that can make the plays.

But if we’re lucky Chilly will realize where the needed talent lies and tag BB for a late round draft pick before the deadline pa.sses.

60. By purplepat on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Quickly, Berrian will not be going anywhere this season. Vikings have to pay him his salary this year no matter what, so they save no money if they cut him. And there is no salary cap this year.

Second, I will be surprised if Sidney Rice plays at all this season (though I hope he does). He too is in a contract year and will likely not want to risk injury that could affect his market value…not to mention that he is still “technically” on crutches and barely putting any weight on his legs/hips now…and you think he is going to be in football playing shape in another two months?

Lastly, on to the real subject at hand…WELCOME BACK RANDY!!! One of the darkest days in the history of the Vikings was the day Red McCheap traded you away for a bag of rocks. I don’t know if you will bring us a Super Bowl title, but I know the ride you are going to take us on will be thrilling! When you were here, every game was exciting because you never knew what magic #84 would pull out of his hat on any given play. That play against Revis earlier this season proves you are still the Super Freak! I expect your presence will help the ground game go even better. Just like in 98, defenses will have to pick their poison…and the answer will still be no matter what they choose, they will DIE! Now go out and tear up the NFL, Randy!

61. By Skol_Vikings on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Moss is back… I never thought Id see the day. More importantly, I think the biggest benefactor of this trade, honestly, is AP. Double covering Moss all day, hard to stack the box when you have to cover Shank, Harvin, Moss, and AP. All Day is going to run over the competition with the receiving core wrecking stuff. Our defense is still good too.

62. By shockwave on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

We still love you Randy!!!!

63. By CA Norwegian on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the memories Randy! We look forward to seeing if you can still catch up to AP when he gets loose. I hope there is enough money to keep this dream team together next year. I hope Brett finishes football walking. Please put in Webb sometimes, or T-jack when Favre gets whacked. We need to know if he can win next year. We have so many skill players, I hope they still put in blockers like Dugan, Kleinsasser and Tahi. That machine works, we do not want Brett to end up like Cutler going for it all downfield, and gambling. I guess if that’s the ball they want to play, I cannot think of anyone bettetr to gamble on than Moss.

64. By CA Norwegian on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

So much anti-BB mentality. If Moss gets so much attention, BB may find himself open on streak patterns. He is very fast still. I have not enjoyed his performance this year either, but he may get free over the top now with the defenses playing Randyball and APball. Let’s see if he catches or drops those bombs, and no back shoulders please. If he looks good he will have trade value when Rice gets back, or can fill in Harvin who I would not bet being available for every game. Not that I do not hope Percy will always play.

65. By morgan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

WELCOME BACK RANDY!!! MISSED YOU SO MUCH ALL THOSE YEARS. I ALWAYS KEPT ( AND WORE ) BOTH MY HOME AND AWAY 84s. SOOO GLAD YOU ARE BACK HOME. NOW WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO. LETS GO GET UM. THANK YOU ZIGGY AND THANK YOU RANDY. GOD BLESS

66. By Joe Joe on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

No… I know that, but I just loved that receiving corps of Reed, Carter and Moss. I really excited right now about the direction this team is going in… anybody got the hook up on some Super Tickets? :o)

67. By rocksalt on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Berrian will be a high paid cheerleader

68. By SuperBowlChamp09 on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

wonder what we will do with berrian? he has a untradeable contract… i see the vikings releasing him maybe after this year to free up some cap space…

69. By gottarush on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

“Frederick: let’s not compare Favre with Tarkenton. That is not fair. We all know Tarkenton was the superior QB!”

Too many beers……Purple08

70. By Alan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Good luck with some kick-ass,Moss

71. By purple08 on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

Gottarush: Tarkenton was a Viking, Favre will go into the Hall of Fame as a Packer. You cheer for him if you want…I sure won’t.

72. By skip on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

well i guess it might be a good thing as long as his attitude is good and be a team player hope the team 2 can be awsome.SO NOW LAT’S GO OUT THERE AMD KICK SOME ASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO VIKINGS

73. By UBRETT-CHA on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if there is a way to retire under the emblem of TWO different teams!?! One for longevity and the other for bringing home the first franchise Super Bowl win!! Wouldn’t that be cool?? SKOL, VIKINGS!!!! SKOL, BRETT!!!!!!!

2. Oct 7, 2010: He Can Still Bring It | Vikings Stop Blog
  3. Oct 8, 2010: Brett Favre’s Elbow & Chris Cook’s Knee « Purple Pants, Green Jersey